PDA

View Full Version : Lack of urgency..

spursistan
03-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Sometimes it really isn't about the talent; it boils down to playing hard and seizing the moment. This team is the antithesis of that.

Simply can't root anymore for this bunch of losers. They deserve to be clowned and humiliated by the Warriors for a third straight year. They begged for it.

slick'81
03-26-2019, 08:41 PM
Spurs really arent that good tbh

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 08:42 PM
But somehow this team was gonna upset Denver without HCA, okay.. :lol

sasaint
03-26-2019, 08:48 PM
But somehow this team was gonna upset Denver without HCA, okay.. :lol

I never expected them to be anything but first round fodder if we did make the playoffs. We have a poorly constructed roster, and a bunch of guys who are not extremely skilled, but I expected the team to play with energy and enthusiasm down the stretch with seeding on the line. It isn't the lack of skill that disappoints me, it is the "lack of respect for the game."

boutons_deux
03-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Spurs are mediocre, and yes, they don't make up for it by playing hard, hustling, playing defense.

7 games left, probably go 3 - 4 or 2 - 5

Dirk will finish his career in SA

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 08:50 PM
I never expected them to be anything but first round fodder if we did make the playoffs. We have a poorly constructed roster, and a bunch of guys who are not extremely skilled, but I expected the team to play with energy and enthusiasm down the stretch with seeding on the line. It isn't the lack of skill that disappoints me, it is the "lack of respect for the game."

:tu Exactly why I hate this year's team regardless of what Nephew did to them. There's just no heart or hunger that's been lacking especially since Manu and previously Tim retired. It says a lot when the so-called heart of this team is an overpaid backup PG who hasn't shown any improvements to his game or diet in the last few years.

daslicer
03-26-2019, 08:52 PM
This team outside of Derrick White doesn't have any good perimeter defenders. It's why a scrub like Bacon can go off.

spursistan
03-26-2019, 08:57 PM
:tu Exactly why I hate this year's team regardless of what Nephew did to them. There's just no heart or hunger that's been lacking especially since Manu and previously Tim retired. It says a lot when the so-called heart of this team is an overpaid backup PG who hasn't shown any improvements to his game or diet in the last few years.

Simply put, this team has no dogs, no leaders..

If your stars are cold and timid you need a Patrick Beverly-type of role players around them..

sasaint
03-26-2019, 08:58 PM

:lol Yeah, their heart needs a quintuple by-pass.

slick'81
03-26-2019, 08:59 PM

If your stars are cold and timid you need a Patrick Beverly-type of role players around them..

Lma and defrozen are not alphas

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 09:08 PM

Yep Beverly at least has some value on the court. Yet we're relying on 50 Mills to pick up teammates from the floor and pat their backs while he's sometimes the sole reason the team is in a funk in the first place.

spursistan
03-26-2019, 09:09 PM
Lma and defrozen are not alphas

Aldridge-Ball issues are manageable, but adding Derozan to this roster was an overkill..

And if Pop wasn't going to coach this guy hard, then you are asking for trouble. How many games has Derozan choked or near did so by playing hero/dumball in the last few minutes?

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Aldridge-Ball issues are manageable, but adding Derozan to this roster was an overkill..

And if Pop wasn't going to coach this guy hard, then you are asking for trouble. How many games has Derozan choked or near did so by playing hero/dumball in the last few minutes?

But Pop is going to magically make Derozan a better player next year because durr durr Year 2 effect.

skin27
03-26-2019, 09:12 PM
This team outside of Derrick White doesn't have any good perimeter defenders. It's why a scrub like Bacon can go off.

you call Derrick white a good defender when James harden and now Kemba skill fucked him?

im doubting his defense now.tbh

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 09:14 PM
you call Derrick white a good defender when James harden and now Kemba skill fucked him?

He can only do so much tbh. Says alot when the second best perimeter defender is Derozan.

Spurs Homer
03-26-2019, 09:16 PM
I don't know what game you guys watched -

I saw a good effort and some great performances - overshadowed by a great player (Kemba Walker)

who willed his team to a victory.

Disappointed , sure - but I thought the Spurs played hard.

Hoops Czar
03-26-2019, 09:17 PM

When you compare him to the likes of Bryn Forbes and Paddy Mills, he's basically Gary Payton.

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 09:21 PM

I saw a good effort and some great performances - overshadowed by a great player (Kemba Walker)

Doesn't bode well then against teams who actually are playoff contenders and can have a gameplan. IMO, Borrego just gameplanned well against Pop this year which is why we couldn't beat Charlotte. It's why I laugh at any of the Spurs can win without HCA arguments.

Spur|n|Austin
03-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Dirk will finish his career in SA

Interesting chain of events there :lol

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2019, 09:25 PM
I wonder where that chip went that this team supposedly had on their shoulders this year

daslicer
03-26-2019, 09:26 PM

I didn't watch the Hornets game but there was a stretch in the game where Kemba shot 5-17. I need to know how many of those points didn't Kemba get off against Mills vs White. Also getting skull fucked by Harden doesn't mean anything. Great players are going to go off at times even against great defenders. Kobe had several games where he dropped 40 plus on Bruce Bowen but that didn't make Bowen a terrible defender. I remember a few years ago when Kyrie Irving lit up Green,Kawhi for 55 points.

Like I said before the big problem on this team is outside of White there is no other good perimeter defenders. Evident by how a scrub like Bacon went off tonight. If Bacon is held to his normal 5 points instead of getting 24 then the Spurs win the game comfortably despite Kemba going off. Spurs in the past always had the luxury of at least having 2 good perimeter defenders in their SL. In the past they had Elie/Elliot followed by Manu/Bowen and then Green/Kawhi. This current team only has White and nobody else that can help out on the perimeter which gives opposing teams the leeway to go off easily on mismatches.

spursistan
03-26-2019, 09:30 PM
We just got season-swept by this shitty Charlotte team in a critical playoffs seeding race.

This Hornets team came to your building and beat you handily early in the year; any other pre-2018 Spurs would have dropped the hammer on them. This iteration has no backbone-- something about its mental makeup that adds up to the other inadequacies..

sananspursfan21
03-26-2019, 09:35 PM
I didn't watch the Hornets game but there was a stretch in the game where Kemba shot 5-17. I need to know how many of those points didn't Kemba get off against Mills vs White. Also getting skull fucked by Harden doesn't mean anything. Great players are going to go off at times even against great defenders. Kobe had several games where he dropped 40 plus on Bruce Bowen but that didn't make Bowen a terrible defender. I remember a few years ago when Kyrie Irving lit up Green,Kawhi for 55 points.

Like I said before the big problem on this team is outside of White there is no other good perimeter defenders. Evident by how a scrub like Bacon went off tonight. If Bacon is held to his normal 5 points instead of getting 24 then the Spurs win the game comfortably despite Kemba going off. Spurs in the past always had the luxury of at least having 2 good perimeter defenders in their SL. In the past they had Elie/Elliot followed by Manu/Bowen and then Green/Kawhi. This current team only has White and nobody else that can help out on the perimeter which gives opposing teams the leeway to go off easily on mismatches.

Not to mention, even a lock down defender is gonna let guys by him from time to time. At that point, it’s up to the help defense to pick them up. Didn’t do a lot of that against Harden or Walker. Also, Forbes guarded Walker most of his 4th quarter bombing. Then in overtime, the lack of defense is on everyone, including DWhite. I don’t think our guys really wanted it in OT. I think they were ready to be done at the end of regulation and overtime was a chore more than an opportunity to snatch up a game our guys didn’t deserve in the first place.

daslicer
03-26-2019, 09:35 PM
We just got season-swept by this shitty Charlotte team in a critical playoffs seeding race.

This Hornets team came to your building and beat you handily early in the year; any other pre-2018 Spurs would have dropped the hammer on them. This iteration has no backbone-- something about its mental makeup that adds up to the other inadequacies..

This team is just not as talented as other iterations. I have just come to accept it. This team is just very flawed the way its constructed hence why it's very inconsistent.

daslicer
03-26-2019, 09:40 PM
Not to mention, even a lock down defender is gonna let guys by him from time to time. At that point, it’s up to the help defense to pick them up. Didn’t do a lot of that against Harden or Walker. Also, Forbes guarded Walker most of his 4th quarter bombing. Then in overtime, the lack of defense is on everyone, including DWhite. I don’t think our guys really wanted it in OT. I think they were ready to be done at the end of regulation and overtime was a chore more than an opportunity to snatch up a game our guys didn’t deserve in the first place.

That explains it. A player like Kemba just needs to get a good rhythm and then when he finds it it becomes almost impossible to put out the fire.

MultiTroll
03-26-2019, 09:46 PM
He can only do so much tbh. Says alot when the second best perimeter defender is Derozan.
This. On a simple switch off LMA stood there and waved at him Pau Gasol style.

K...
03-26-2019, 09:54 PM
I honestly find it refreshing that these guys play hard and don't care. I mean Durant is still on the warriors so why try? Wining home games is good for the team bottom line. Patty gets paid. pop gets to stay busy.

paperboy77
03-26-2019, 09:55 PM
Sometimes it really isn't about the talent; it boils down to playing hard and seizing the moment. This team is the antithesis of that.

Simply can't root anymore for this bunch of losers. They deserve to be clowned and humiliated by the Warriors for a third straight year. They begged for it.

I agree with your first sentence. After that it's a knee-jerk.

This is a good team. NO TEAM is better than the Dubs so in that sense we kinda are every team. Just be a fan dude and cheer our beloved Spurs on. That's about all we can do.

Now them Clippers... WTF! They are on serious beast mode! How the hell are they doing it... Pop?

marinoman
03-26-2019, 10:01 PM
I think the zone D on us changed the game. With poeti, lma and derozan there’s no spacing for 3s, the zone will cause big problems for us

timtonymanu
03-26-2019, 10:20 PM
I agree with your first sentence. After that it's a knee-jerk.

This is a good team. NO TEAM is better than the Dubs so in that sense we kinda are every team. Just be a fan dude and cheer our beloved Spurs on. That's about all we can do.

Now them Clippers... WTF! They are on serious beast mode! How the hell are they doing it... Pop?

Because the clippers actually have players that try hard and don’t take games for granted like our loser team does. The spurs may be a good team but they constantly have played down to their opponents and also choked away winnable games and this was suppose to be the easy part of their schedule and they still only come up with 1 win out of 4 games during this stretch. There’s no more excuses for this team. At least okc legit has a hard schedule and the clippers are actually taking advantage of their easy schedule. It’s the attitude of this team that is so loser like and uninspiring. Why should fans have to suffer through that if the players don’t show enough pride?

tmtcsc
03-26-2019, 10:26 PM

The Clippers are galvanized, inspired and playing for each other. The Spurs don't seem to have that fire. Not consistently anyways. They are a collection of scorers for the most part with 1 complete player who is not experienced enough to be THE leader yet.

Atl Spur
03-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Yo............ Brighter days are ahead! Two HOFers left; digest that for a minute��

ZeusWillJudge
03-26-2019, 10:37 PM
"Trap Game" :lmao

paperboy77
03-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Because the clippers actually have players that try hard and don’t take games for granted like our loser team does. The spurs may be a good team but they constantly have played down to their opponents and also choked away winnable games and this was suppose to be the easy part of their schedule and they still only come up with 1 win out of 4 games during this stretch. There’s no more excuses for this team. At least okc legit has a hard schedule and the clippers are actually taking advantage of their easy schedule. It’s the attitude of this team that is so loser like and uninspiring. Why should fans have to suffer through that if the players don’t show enough pride?

I hear you but I still root for this team vs anything else. I remember the Cadillac Anderson Spurs in the mid 80s. Those guys had no shot! That was just before 50 come around.. I was just getting into sports. I was just happy when they played a close game.

Kobe'sAchilles
03-26-2019, 10:48 PM
I know it's been 20 years but damn I miss Mario Ellie. There was no other player like him tbh. Had the toughness, the leadership, and the know how to win. Shit like tonight wouldn't get a pass from Ellie.

Mugen
03-26-2019, 10:51 PM
I mean there's a few reasons they no longer run any of the old plays that Manu, TP, and Timmy used to run and it's directly tied to why the team struggles...

1) They have really stupid fucking players on the team. Like Derozan and LMA are absolutely average at best when it comes to BBIQ (Derozon is borderline retarded as soon as it becomes clutch time tbh) so those little extra baskets or defensive plays ("winning plays" just don't happen. That's the difference in winning/losing games especially on the road.

2) The same story it's been for the last 4 years. The coaching is pretty poor. Sure nobody's perfect but just so many coaching mistakes game in / game out, stuff that you'd expect from a faggot like Nick Nurse or something, not from arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time. Tonight was prime example of that obviously. Again, it's fine because everybody loses it eventually...the issue is when you continue to hang around when obviously you just don't have the same competitive spirit , he's not Bill Bellichick that's definitely clear but he's also a lot older.....

But yeah, they're not that good but they really don't make up for it with more effort or smarter basketball. It starts with LMA (not really that competitive) and Derozan (not that smart)....

spursistan
03-26-2019, 11:18 PM
I mean there's a few reasons they no longer run any of the old plays that Manu, TP, and Timmy used to run and it's directly tied to why the team struggles...

1) They have really stupid fucking players on the team. Like Derozan and LMA are absolutely average at best when it comes to BBIQ (Derozon is borderline retarded as soon as it becomes clutch time tbh) so those little extra baskets or defensive plays ("winning plays" just don't happen. That's the difference in winning/losing games especially on the road.

2) The same story it's been for the last 4 years. The coaching is pretty poor. Sure nobody's perfect but just so many coaching mistakes game in / game out, stuff that you'd expect from a faggot like Nick Nurse or something, not from arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time. Tonight was prime example of that obviously. Again, it's fine because everybody loses it eventually...the issue is when you continue to hang around when obviously you just don't have the same competitive spirit , he's not Bill Bellichick that's definitely clear but he's also a lot older.....

But yeah, they're not that good but they really don't make up for it with more effort or smarter basketball. It starts with LMA (not really that competitive) and Derozan (not that smart)....

Good post, tbh..

The collective IQ of this team has taken a huge tumble over the last few just years..It is not only because of the decline and retirement of the Big 3; even the departure of role players like Danny/Diaw is starting to get felt. Both of those two, for example, could suck an entire game and yet they end up making a clutch block or pass to seal a W on the road..

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 12:27 AM
The Spurs got the ball back with 19 seconds and two timeouts. Pop could have called one, advanced the ball, and drawn up a play. And they still had a spare timeout for when they failed to get the ball inbounded on time. He didn't do that. Instead he let DeMar freelance. It would have been different on a short clock, if the Hornet's defense hadn't had time to set up.

Personally, I think this is one time when DeMar did the right thing. The worst thing would be to turn the ball over, and the second worst would have been to get fouled with 3-4 seconds left, and have them bury a 3 to win the game. (The way they were shooting, that could have happened easily.) DeMar didn't dribble into traffic, and he made sure that his shot was the last shot.

If Pop doesn't think he can draw up a play that would be better than DeMar freelancing against a set defense, that's on him. Shit coaching job. I don't care if he is enjoying himself.

Em-City
03-27-2019, 12:38 AM
The Clippers are galvanized, inspired and playing for each other. The Spurs don't seem to have that fire. Not consistently anyways. They are a collection of scorers for the most part with 1 complete player who is not experienced enough to be THE leader yet.

Who's the "complete" player?

phxspurfan
03-27-2019, 01:04 AM
Yep Beverly at least has some value on the court. Yet we're relying on 50 Mills to pick up teammates from the floor and pat their backs while he's sometimes the sole reason the team is in a funk in the first place.

this is why the team needs a Jalen Brunson/Malcolm Brogdon/Kyle Lowry type.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-27-2019, 01:25 AM
This should should be the official cliff jumper thread. Spurs lost. Like in their other recent losses they didn’t tighten things up until it was too late. Effort was lacking and we haven’t been hitting our 3’s. If we could hit a 3 we’d have gotten at least 2 of these recent games. As Pop would say, they beat us because they scored more points. Not sure what folks were expecting, beyond a 7 or 8 seed. This team has already over achieved.

R. DeMurre
03-27-2019, 01:33 AM
This should should be the official cliff jumper thread. Spurs lost. Like in their other recent losses they didn’t tighten things up until it was too late. Effort was lacking and we haven’t been hitting our 3’s. If we could hit a 3 we’d have gotten at least 2 of these recent games. As Pop would say, they beat us because they scored more points. Not sure what folks were expecting, beyond a 7 or 8 seed. This team has already over achieved.

:tu I remember reading three different articles in one week last summer, all saying the Spurs would not make the playoffs this year-- and that was before Dejounte Murray was lost to a season ending injury. I went and found one of these articles from Pounding the Rock-- it contained an ESPN prediction saying the Spurs would win 38.5 games... Not really sure what people were expecting. They've surpassed almost all expectations.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/8/3/17649980/espn-projects-san-antonio-spurs-miss-playoffs-2018-2019

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 02:46 AM
:tu I remember reading three different articles in one week last summer, all saying the Spurs would not make the playoffs this year-- and that was before Dejounte Murray was lost to a season ending injury. I went and found one of these articles from Pounding the Rock-- it contained an ESPN prediction saying the Spurs would win 38.5 games... Not really sure what people were expecting. They've surpassed almost all expectations.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/8/3/17649980/espn-projects-san-antonio-spurs-miss-playoffs-2018-2019

And the reasons they listed for those low expectations all centered around shitty roster construction. That doesn't happen because of global fucking warming - it's on PATFO.

I wonder sometimes if you guys ever stop to think about the stuff you say. The article was written before Murray got injured, right? So if Murray had been healthy, they would have won at least 50 games... right? So if Jesus Gomez predicted that they would win 38.5 games, and they really would have won 50+, what kind of a stupid-assed prediction is that? Why would you ever quote someone that fucking stupid?

You can't have it both ways.

dbestpro
03-27-2019, 03:04 AM

When the Spurs play hard. The Spurs don't lose. Problem is they refuse to play hard on the road. Tissue soft.

R. DeMurre
03-27-2019, 03:07 AM
And the reasons they listed for those low expectations all centered around shitty roster construction. That doesn't happen because of global fucking warming - it's on PATFO.

I wonder sometimes if you guys ever stop to think about the stuff you say. The article was written before Murray got injured, right? So if Murray had been healthy, they would have won at least 50 games... right? So if Jesus Gomez predicted that they would win 38.5 games, and they really would have won 50+, what kind of a stupid-assed prediction is that? Why would you ever quote someone that fucking stupid?

You can't have it both ways.

:lol You're so excitable, Poseidon.

RaShallDecide
03-27-2019, 03:36 AM

:lol

monty4329
03-27-2019, 03:37 AM
The Spurs got the ball back with 19 seconds and two timeouts. Pop could have called one, advanced the ball, and drawn up a play. And they still had a spare timeout for when they failed to get the ball inbounded on time. He didn't do that. Instead he let DeMar freelance. It would have been different on a short clock, if the Hornet's defense hadn't had time to set up.

Personally, I think this is one time when DeMar did the right thing. The worst thing would be to turn the ball over, and the second worst would have been to get fouled with 3-4 seconds left, and have them bury a 3 to win the game. (The way they were shooting, that could have happened easily.) DeMar didn't dribble into traffic, and he made sure that his shot was the last shot.

If Pop doesn't think he can draw up a play that would be better than DeMar freelancing against a set defense, that's on him. Shit coaching job. I don't care if he is enjoying himself.

Absolutely gutless coaching the last minute. I don't want to even go to DDR bullshit last shot, because it is totally on Pop. So many mistakes on the last possession:
1. no timeout -because he feared the inbound turnover?
2. no set play
3. ball in faggot hands instead of an easy White to Anybody-but-Chocker out of a screen for a shot or for a penetration looking for FT
4. no screen -afraid of the crybaby misdribbling it into the switch?
5. 18 footer jumping BACK with the defender in his face

Pathetic.

I am speachless after this loss. And we got to OT just by luck, officiating certainly wasn't favoring the home team.

jjktkk
03-27-2019, 07:38 AM
:tu Exactly why I hate this year's team regardless of what Nephew did to them. There's just no heart or hunger that's been lacking especially since Manu and previously Tim retired.You're right, but exactly what where you expecting when two hall of famers retired and Leonard quit on his own team? Did you expect the Spurs to just keep humming along?[/QUOTE]
It says a lot when the so-called heart of this team is an overpaid backup PG who hasn't shown any improvements to his game or diet in the last few years.I think LA has heart, but from personal experience, I've seen players from championship teams that follow a legend like LA is, will always be compared to their predecessor(Duncan) and never live up to expectations. Like you, I hated the Patty signing, considering we already have Forbes. This team is flawed, but I still give them a shot to get out of the 1st round.

jjktkk
03-27-2019, 07:46 AM
this is why the team needs a Jalen Brunson/Malcolm Brogdon/Kyle Lowry type.

a healthy Dejounte Murray would of been a lot of help against Kemba last night.

tmtcsc
03-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Who's the "complete" player?

I'd give that distinction to White. Maybe I should have written "with the most complete player (compared to the others) not experienced enough to be THE leader." He's definitely the best perimeter defender and seems to be one of the better playmakers on the team. He's decent offensively but can be inconsistent.

DeMar is one of the best mid-range scorers in the league but he's a sub-par defender most of the time. He has his moments where he can be good. Rudy Gay is pretty awful and Bryn Forbes...well you know. Aldridge's Defense is sometimes great and many times soft.

tmtcsc
03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
You're right, but exactly what where you expecting when two hall of famers retired and Leonard quit on his own team? Did you expect the Spurs to just keep humming along?

I honestly expected more personal investment from the players in the team. I hope that makes sense. I know we lost talent but it seems as though the "team" plays like a collection of talented individuals. Pop has given many of the players a "pass" this year because they are relatively new to the system and still learning to play with each other but I don't think that stuff flies anymore. 72 games in to the season and all that stuff should be settled. Plus, they don't seem to have competitive fire. They kind of go out there with "its just a job" body language. I'll do what I do & if we win great, if we don't - whatever. The check should clear.

Part of what made Tim & Manu great was their desire to WIN. They played to win every time they stepped on the court. That had nothing to do with their talent.

Dverde
03-27-2019, 09:34 AM
So far this season is a success in my eyes.

1. Integrated DDR in the Spurs system and culture
2. Developed young players (White, Bertrans, Poeltl) into rotation players
3. LMA stepped up as a team leader and made ASG
4. Continued playoff streak getting playoff exp for young players
5. Got rid of Pau Gasol

Anyone thinking this team had any chance of a championship is very delusional. Best case in my eyes was second round seven game series.

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 10:40 AM

:lol

It's the testosterone. You wouldn't understand.

BTW - Ra was a well known boy-lover. We wouldn't let him near Olympus. You should choose your alts more carefully.

jjktkk
03-27-2019, 10:43 AM
I honestly expected more personal investment from the players in the team. I hope that makes sense. I know we lost talent but it seems as though the "team" plays like a collection of talented individuals. Pop has given many of the players a "pass" this year because they are relatively new to the system and still learning to play with each other but I don't think that stuff flies anymore. 72 games in to the season and all that stuff should be settled. Plus, they don't seem to have competitive fire. They kind of go out there with "its just a job" body language. I'll do what I do & if we win great, if we don't - whatever. The check should clear.

Part of what made Tim & Manu great was their desire to WIN. They played to win every time they stepped on the court. That had nothing to do with their talent.

I get what you're saying. But Tim and Manu are hall of fame players. It never was going to be easy to replace them. I don't think we will ever see players so selfless as Tim and Manu. Considering no influx of lottery talent, S.A. not being a desirable FA destination, and the Leonard fiasco, I'm actually impressed with this current group. Their flawed, but I'm intrigued to see if they can get out of the 1st round of the playoffs this year.

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 10:59 AM
I get what you're saying. But Tim and Manu are hall of fame players. It never was going to be easy to replace them. I don't think we will ever see players so selfless as Tim and Manu. Considering no influx of lottery talent, S.A. not being a desirable FA destination, and the Leonard fiasco, I'm actually impressed with this current group. Their flawed, but I'm intrigued to see if they can get out of the 1st round of the playoffs this year.

The winningest trio in history. I don't think anyone was comparing them to this group as players. The point is effort and commitment. Last night the Hornets wanted that W more than (most of) the Spurs. They worked their asses off on defensive rotations. They scrapped for rebounds and loose balls. You want to see what a less-talented team can do with effort, just have a look at the Clippers.

It's been pretty hilarious to me when people here have talked about "trap games" at the end of a season, when the team is locked into a tight playoff battle. If that isn't enough motivation to focus on every single game, they need to just go fishing.

Mugen
03-27-2019, 11:02 AM
"Dejounte would have helped"

Pop woulda had that nigga on the bench while Bryn and Patty were out there getting roasted by Kemba. :lol

ZeusWillJudge
03-27-2019, 11:08 AM

Pop woulda had that nigga on the bench while Bryn and Patty were out there getting roasted by Kemba. :lol

LMAO!!! I wish I could argue with you, but it's probably true.

R. DeMurre
03-27-2019, 11:16 AM

BTW - Ra was a well known boy-lover. We wouldn't let him near Olympus. You should choose your alts more carefully.

:lol uhhh.... ever heard of Ganymede?

r0drig0lac
03-27-2019, 12:59 PM

unfortunately there is a good chance that you are absolutely correct, Spurs has many players who should not be on a roster of the nba who propose to be competitive (Quincy, Dante, Mills, Forbes), if you count the rookies that clearly are not yet ready and Murray (unfortunately injured), we have few players that are really useful, the current most competitive teams have 9 or 10 real basketball players on their roster, it's really hard to compete against the depth of some teams (even less talented teams , has more real depth than the Spurs this season), and teams that are not as deep but still elite (warriors and 76ers for example), have the two best starting lineups in the league, so it does not matter so much because of the insane amount of talent

jjktkk
03-27-2019, 01:07 PM
The winningest trio in history. I don't think anyone was comparing them to this group as players.Who was comparing this current team with Tim, Tony, and Manu? I wasn't. In my previous post I was trying to impress that the Spur's bar is set high and that if you try to judge this current group of Spurs, you're going to be disappointed.[/QUOTE]
The point is effort and commitment. Last night the Hornets wanted that W more than (most of) the Spurs. They worked their asses off on defensive rotations. They scrapped for rebounds and loose balls. You want to see what a less-talented team can do with effort, just have a look at the Clippers.

It's been pretty hilarious to me when people here have talked about "trap games" at the end of a season, when the team is locked into a tight playoff battle. If that isn't enough motivation to focus on every single game, they need to just go fishing.Yeah, pretty much, so what do you propose to do quit watching them? Like I've stated before, this a flawed team, but I'm still looking forward to the playoffs and seeing how they do? I'm not naïve, if they play GS, they're going to get their shit pushed in, but if they play someone like Denver, who knows.

Kurgan
03-27-2019, 03:17 PM
So far this season is a success in my eyes.

1. Integrated DDR in the Spurs system and culture

He's having the worst season of his career based on on/off numbers. Spurs were 11-14 when they ran the offense through Derozan to start the season. They only improved after inserting White into the starting lineup and giving LMA more touches. Derozan ball will never be winning ball. Even Pop realized that early on. His past all-star and all-nba selections were a sham, a result of playing in a terrible conference. In the West, he's just another inefficient guard.

3. LMA stepped up as a team leader and made ASG

What kind of leader makes multiple statements about returning to his old club? When you keep talking about going back to Portland to play with Lillard again, the younger players are just gonna look at you as a temporary teammate. Just another reason why the chemistry feels so off with this year's team.

TDomination
03-27-2019, 03:46 PM
What kind of leader makes multiple statements about returning to his old club? When you keep talking about going back to Portland to play with Lillard again, the younger players are just gonna look at you as a temporary teammate. Just another reason why the chemistry feels so off with this year's team.

This bugged me the most. Even if he was asked straight up about it, he should just say we'll see or i'm not focused on that right now, focused on the Spurs and winning games or something to that resort. But instead talks about rejoining his former team eventually.
Well, thanks LMA. I can really feel that you care about trying to bring another championship to San Antonio.

BackHome
03-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Just asking did he really say he wanted to go back to Portland recently?

Dverde
03-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Just asking did he really say he wanted to go back to Portland recently?

Here is the quote that triggered these fanboys’ hurt feelings.

"… I keep telling him (Lillard) I’m going to come back and finish there. That’s something him and I have talked about — playing together again.”

$pursDynasty
03-27-2019, 05:43 PM
I don't see the people in Charlotte worried about Tony Parker talking about retiring a Spur hell he and their coach got on the Spur's plane to San Antonio for the Manu thing. Nothing to see here, every player has an attachment to the team that drafted them. He is not demanding a trade to Portland he just says he wouldn't be opposed to ending it where he started it. Much ado about nothing unless you are trying to inflame a troll war with LMA supporters.

Babyboy
03-27-2019, 08:08 PM
dejounte at least has that dog in him and has some heart for next season, losing green and ginobli really set us back though

SouthTexasRancher
03-27-2019, 09:18 PM
This damn team has about as much urgency as the pink elephant trying to get to the top of Pikes Peak while starting the journey from the bottom of the Grand Canyon. :elephant

C-Dub
03-27-2019, 11:30 PM
Rudy Gay - very,very low IQ his entire career. Some people like him because the Spurs have nothing else at the moment.

LMA - mediocre IQ and have no touch around the rim. Would rather stay on the smaller guy when there is a switch and when he has a chance to switch back to the big guy on the other team he never tries to. Instead he stays on the smaller PG and gets beat everytime. Even when he does get aggressive and drive to the rim he usually gets away with an offensive foul on his way to the basket.

Patty Mills - mediocre IQ and always jump to the side of the pg that he is guarding so that the pg can drive right to the basket. That use to work with TD covering the basket but LMA is usually no where to be found on those plays.

Forbes - mediocre IQ. Gets to down on himself to much and it effects his game. When he somewhat penetrated, he never looks for a cutter or an open teammate because he has tunnel vision.

D. White - pretty good IQ. Will be better next year after pretty much an entire season playing under his belt.

DDR - mediocre IQ but gets somewhat of a pass because it's his 1st year in the system and I believe he will be better next year with a full season under his belt. When he pump fakes and get the defender in the air, I don't know why he doesn't create contact like harden and get himself to the free throw line. Mind boggling.

Bertans - mediocre IQ but needs more playing time which I believes he get next year and will be better because of it.

Marco - above average IQ but will never be able to make his presence felt on the defensive end. Next year he needs to play less minutes but keep shooting.

Next year the Spurs will be a better team with this lineup:
DJM, White, DDR, Bertans and LMA
Mills, Walker, Marco, Gay and Jakob

RC_Drunkford
03-28-2019, 02:22 AM

It was 1 statement. Just multiple articles written about that 1 statement. There's a difference

RC_Drunkford
03-28-2019, 02:28 AM

I wouldn't blame the players for this when Pop has been preaching for years that basketball is their job. Maybe that ain't the right approach?

GusT15
03-28-2019, 02:30 AM
It was 1 statement. Just multiple articles written about that 1 statement. There's a difference

Furthermore,Lillard and LMA had a bad falling out when Aldridge left Portland.Stopped talking,took subtle hits at each other etc

By the looks of it they've patched things up completely and LMA wanted to make that abundantly clear in the media.

He should've gone with a more politically correct and well thought out way to express that,but whatever tbh

R. DeMurre
03-28-2019, 02:34 AM

:lol uhhh.... ever heard of Ganymede?

I don't understand why you don't want to talk about Ganymede.

Are you shy?

Do words like "pederasty" and "catamite" make you nervous?

C'mon-- stun us with your great knowledge up there on Mt Olympus!

r0drig0lac
03-28-2019, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't blame the players for this when Pop has been preaching for years that basketball is their job. Maybe that ain't the right approach?

exactly, I really doubt that Duncan, Manu, and Parker had that thought, and I doubt even more that Pop would have thought so if he had not won 5 titles in a 20-year period

spursistan
03-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Holy shit they can't even get up for the Manu Night? :lol..

spursistan
03-31-2019, 08:21 PM
Just a sucky team that on top of it obvious roster issues, it has one of the shittiest mental make-up in the association..

A lack of urgency at this stage that we haven't seen in more than 2 decades of spurs basketball..

(getting season swept by the lottery-bound Hornets and Kings :rollin

Mugen
03-31-2019, 08:24 PM
So soft. So, so soft.

You miss Manu because of the competitiveness he brings to big games. But these heartless pieces of shit can't even take care of business against non-playoff teams.

Such a fucking joke of a team/organization.

kaji157
03-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Guys cool off, this is a very upgradeable roster.
It's a roster with 7 new guys, 4 new starters from last season (White, Forbes, Gay, DeRozan).
It's not the end of the world, very few teams do better than what we did in those circumstances.

Floyd Pacquiao
03-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Thats what happens when you put all your marbles on 2 soft all stars like derozan and Aldridge

spursistan
03-31-2019, 08:28 PM
I would blow this shit up in the summer just for their lack of heart.

timtonymanu
03-31-2019, 08:34 PM
Was expected tbh when Tim and Manu retired. The culture was never the same even though PATFO thinks we're all too stupid to think it was still there with Patty :lol.

That's why I laugh at the "Spurs can beat Denver" crew, this team just looks content to be there. They don't care to go far otherwise they would have taken this light schedule more seriously.

DarrinS
03-31-2019, 08:36 PM
Was expected tbh when Tim and Manu retired. The culture was never the same even though PATFO thinks we're all too stupid to think it was still there with Patty :lol.

That's why I laugh at the "Spurs can beat Denver" crew, this team just looks content to be there. They don't care to go far otherwise they would have taken this light schedule more seriously.

Truth bomb

TD 21
03-31-2019, 08:44 PM
I don't think it's lack of urgency so much as just mediocrity. Their supposed stars have by far the lowest impact out of any other West playoff team. Throw in a low variance offensive style (which generally prevents them from pulling games they don't deserve out of their ass), pathetic defensive personnel and zero deep bench depth and you get a team that has to be firing near or on all cylinders to win. It doesn't matter the opponent or situation.

I think people think they should be able to will it against mediocre or worse teams because they should be more desperate and "have 2 All-Stars". But take the Kings for example. Statistically, Fox and Hield are the 2 biggest impact offensive players between the two teams (close between Fox and Aldridge, but still).

In what's now a perimeter oriented league, almost every game the opposition has at least one better perimeter player. That's not easy to overcome.

ZeusWillJudge
03-31-2019, 09:28 PM
Guys cool off, this is a very upgradeable roster.

Every roster is upgradeable. In fact, the worse the roster, the easier it is to upgrade. This shitshow has silver lining written on it everywhere.

monty4329
04-01-2019, 08:15 AM
By now we know it is more of a lack of balls than urgency

weeks
04-01-2019, 10:03 AM

what do you expect, with pop and his constant 'it's just a game, who cares' attitude? nasa discovered planets, etc

tmtcsc
04-01-2019, 11:37 AM
what do you expect, with pop and his constant 'it's just a game, who cares' attitude? nasa discovered planets, etc

Somewhere along the line Pop realized he has a bunch of fucking pansies that don't respond well to criticism or being challenged. He doesn't have the same fire he used to and doesn't seem to get pissed off anymore. At least not in front of the cameras. He showed more emotion for two horrible calls in last night's game than he has for the lack of effort we've seen on defense. Where's that Pop? Lots of blame to go around for this debacle of a team.

ZeusWillJudge
04-01-2019, 11:51 AM

That's true. But it was one public statement about multiple private statements. He said so himself:

"… I keep telling him (Lillard) I’m going to come back and finish there. That’s something him and I have talked about — playing together again.”

:pop: "These guys are professionals. I don't need to motivate them."

Sometimes a GOAT is just an old goat.

Maddog
04-01-2019, 02:22 PM
This is a flawed roster. They are pretty mediocre and don't have a lot of flexibility defensively. Outside of D White, there is not a single 1,2 or 3 who is at least average defensively.

GreekSpursfan
04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
This is a flawed roster. They are pretty mediocre and don't have a lot of flexibility defensively. Outside of D White, there is not a single 1,2 or 3 who is at least average defensively.

Spot on. Not to mention that White is non existent offensively.
I still can't believe how Pop managed to have this team in the playoffs, probably the biggest achievement of his career.