PDA

View Full Version : DeChoker, again

monty4329
03-27-2019, 03:45 AM
I cannot believe Pop gave AGAIN the ball to DDR for the last possession.

Hard to blame the other players if they slept in the OT and basically didn't give a fuck. I wouldn't either.

How many games were lost this season for this same reason? Repeating the same mistake over and over is the definition of madness.

GusT15
03-27-2019, 04:15 AM
How many games were lost this season for this same reason?

A lot of games

So many games that would make a difference between the 8 seed and home court advantage

Too many games to blame it on trial and error

We've tried that,it's wrong,like,move away from that damn it,what more do you want to see?

vavvi
03-27-2019, 04:29 AM
While I agree I wouldn't underestimate Pop's decision to put Forbes on Kemba in crunch time possession after possession, and only with 1 minute to go he subbed in White. I was so mad watching DeChoker on offense and Forbes on defense again and again.

RC_Drunkford
03-27-2019, 04:30 AM
Pop thinks DeRozan is Kawhi. 4 down iso plays with no ball screen worked with Kawhi but they damn sure won't work with DeRozan

ragas
03-27-2019, 04:53 AM
https://twitter.com/DanWeissPBP/status/1110553455104589824

GusT15
03-27-2019, 04:56 AM
https://twitter.com/DanWeissPBP/status/1110553455104589824

Great stuff!

Now,can we take the ball away from him in the clutch when the game is on the line?

smaka
03-27-2019, 05:01 AM

duncan2150
03-27-2019, 05:48 AM
so this loss is on Derozan who scored 30 pts on 12/24 shooting............OK

Rummpd
03-27-2019, 06:01 AM
Whole team chokes - at least 5 bad losses this year due to gagging

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-27-2019, 06:22 AM
I’ve watched Kawhi a lot this season and his end of game shooting isn’t much better this year.

monty4329
03-27-2019, 06:26 AM
so this loss is on Derozan who scored 30 pts on 12/24 shooting............OK

No, he scored 0/1000 in clutch time

duncan2150
03-27-2019, 06:29 AM
But you know that the spurs have a lot of other problems before blaming derozan.

GusT15
03-27-2019, 06:47 AM
But you know that the spurs have a lot of other problems before blaming derozan.

Exactly.

The Spurs have a lot other problems,with a badly constructed roster and visible holes in their defense and game plan.

Which means every W-especially a W on the road-is valuable.

Which means,when you are in the game for 46 mins and you can snatch that W,why on earth would you give the ball to a player that systematically fails in the last 2 mins of a close game?

You try to deal with your problems as a team,not create new issues along the way.

duncan2k5
03-27-2019, 06:54 AM
I’ve watched Kawhi a lot this season and his end of game shooting isn’t much better this year.

Wait what?? I've watched him too... Dude has been very clutch this year? Same as DDR?? LMFAO!

spurs50_
03-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Wasn't White 0/10, why can't he have back to back good games?

duncan2k5
03-27-2019, 06:58 AM

Most clutch this season

https://ca.nba.com/news/toronto-raptors-vs-portland-trail-blazers-kawhi-leonard-most-clutch-player-in-nba-stats-dinwiddie-kyrie-griffin-harden-doncic/1s22xgk7sut3q1jtmljt7onyns

Slippy
03-27-2019, 07:40 AM
After the raptors loss . There were a couple of articles from their side saying we seen this Demar before , glad he on the other side.

Didnt think much of it then. Now, I see why the raptors were willing to take a rental on nephew.

Unless coach makes an adjustment, get used to it.

cd98
03-27-2019, 07:50 AM
Eh this has become a stupid fan narrative. He’s hit big shots in the last 5 minutes of games. Sure he’s turned it over and made bad plays. That happens, especially for a team with a bunch of new players. Jordan missed more last second shots than he made. Manu, a statistically proven clutch player, once missed a wide open game tying three off the side of the backboard. He missed a free throw in game 6 in 2014. Every time he misses a shot he’s not clutch. But Harden gets blocked by a 40 year old Manu in a playoff game and he’s clutch.

jjktkk
03-27-2019, 07:50 AM
I think Pop is afraid he'll lose DDR if he doesn't force feed him the ball, to keep his confidence up.

Keepin' it real
03-27-2019, 07:57 AM
DeChoker, again

DeWhiny bitch, again.

duncan2k5
03-27-2019, 08:05 AM
Eh this has become a stupid fan narrative. He’s hit big shots in the last 5 minutes of games. Sure he’s turned it over and made bad plays. That happens, especially for a team with a bunch of new players. Jordan missed more last second shots than he made. Manu, a statistically proven clutch player, once missed a wide open game tying three off the side of the backboard. He missed a free throw in game 6 in 2014. Every time he misses a shot he’s not clutch. But Harden gets blocked by a 40 year old Manu in a playoff game and he’s clutch.

Nah... DDR has been statistically proven to be a playoff choker... There was a stat that came out after last year that he has the biggest drop off in terms of production in the past several years from regular season to playoffs

monty4329
03-27-2019, 08:24 AM

He hit big shots when? never in the last 2 minutes.
Today he had a good game, so in a vacuum I can understand giving him the ball for the last shot. Only, the histoy already proved he would have choked it. Which he did. But most of all is the way he choked: he took long shot with the defender in his face, and jumped BACK for christ sake..Try at least to get a fucking call if you can't shoot a decent shot. The guy is a total loser.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
03-27-2019, 08:26 AM
My problem with Demar in last shot scenarios is 1) he takes lazy, difficult shots usually iso dribble followed by step back 20+ ft jump shot. 2) tunnel vision - it seems like he doesn't even look for his teammates in these situations, even if he's been having success creating for others all game.

It just drives me nuts that most the time he is unwilling to drive to the basket or at least get to that 12-16 ft area where he converts a higher percentage of shots

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Wait what?? I've watched him too... Dude has been very clutch this year? Same as DDR?? LMFAO!

He’s missed a lot of last second shots. Last minute and last shot are two different things.

Oh, and he’s not coming back, I didn’t say he and DDR are the same, and finally, I wish you’d join a Raptors forum already. Why do you even claim to be a Spurs fan anymore?

duncan2150
03-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Today he had a good game, so in a vacuum I can understand giving him the ball for the last shot. Only, the histoy already proved he would have choked it. Which he did. But most of all is the way he choked: he took long shot with the defender in his face, and jumped BACK for christ sake..Try at least to get a fucking call if you can't shoot a decent shot. The guy is a total loser.

he made some of them at the beginning of the season, i agree with you when you said he needs to be unselfish some time and making good decisions but yesterday that was not bad.

For the history of loser, i'm not agree but he is not a franchise player, i think that's different .

MarCowMar
03-27-2019, 08:59 AM
It's like the Spurs are afraid to run their offense in the last two minutes of the game. When our players are moving around the line and drive and dishing I feel good about the shots we get, and they're frequently open threes.

ISO DeMar/Aldridge/Gay for two is just crap when defenses are dialed in and everyone _knows_ those three hold the ball too long. I don't know if it's a case of Pop telling them to ISO or they have sticky hands.

RC_Drunkford
03-27-2019, 09:05 AM
people in here talking about DeMar should've drove to the rim. We all know how that ends in the clutch, he creates contact, misses the shot and whines that no foul has been called. He made some clutch shots against Dallas, Lakers and even in the Golden State game, but most of the time he either loses the ball or misses the shot. That's just who he is. It's on Pop to run the right play to get the team a good shot. I also think the #1 closer should be Rudy Gay, cause he has a history of making game winners

Spurs Homer
03-27-2019, 10:43 AM
I'm looking at the glass half-full....

DDR & Aldridge and the Spurs 3 pt shooters - if we get lucky and the Spurs find a groove -

are going to present SERIOUS problems for some unlucky higher seeded team in the playoffs!

DDR played his balls off - I do not get the hate?

SwansonInSibagat
03-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Surely you can't be serious. The first game of the fucking season against Minny? That go - ahead jumper against Dallas? The shot against Memphis at the nigh - last second that would have won the Spurs the game had it not been for the refs calling a foul on Gay? And this is just off the top of my head.

Goodness gracious.

cd98
03-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Just from the top of my head, he hit what should've been the game winner against the Grizzlies before the refs gave Gasol a BS call.

TDomination
03-27-2019, 10:59 AM
people in here talking about DeMar should've drove to the rim. We all know how that ends in the clutch, he creates contact, misses the shot and whines that no foul has been called. He made some clutch shots against Dallas, Lakers and even in the Golden State game, but most of the time he either loses the ball or misses the shot. That's just who he is. It's on Pop to run the right play to get the team a good shot. I also think the #1 closer should be Rudy Gay, cause he has a history of making game winners

This this this

Honestly, the fact that DDR even got a shot up made me happy. What i mean is, it didn't end up in some stupid TO or some offensive foul. He gets stripped so much when going to the basket. He is better off shooting a fadeaway.

With that said, Pop needs to figure this out. They need to practice this in practice. last possession of the game, what are you going to do. Situational basketball.

DDR never looks to pass. And when he does, the player is typically not in good position cause he thought DDR was going to shoot. (like bertans against the Raptors)

An ISO is good when trying to make sure your shot is the last shot of the game, but man there's gotta be a more creative way to get a better shot than a 20ft fadeaway.

TDomination
03-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Surely you can't be serious. The first game of the fucking season against Minny? That go - ahead jumper against Dallas? The shot against Memphis at the nigh - last second that would have won the Spurs the game had it not been for the refs calling a foul on Gay? And this is just off the top of my head.

Goodness gracious.

He is serious. And don't call him Surely. lol good ol Airplaine!

And yeah, DDR has had plenty of clutch shots. Minny, Dallas twice, Lakers once or twice can't remember. And those were all with less than a minute.

He had that big turnaround over Klay Thompson against the warriors too. That was less than 2 minutes.

spurs1990
03-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Let's not understate the confounding nature of that last play:

1) Spurs get the rebound with 20 seconds left
2) DeRozan holds the ball for that ENTIRE duration - never even thinks about passing to setting up a play, with the possibility of him getting it back anyway
3) DeRozan settles for a fully contested fall-away jumper around 20 feet from the goal, with a Belinelli-esque lean to the side, that is BADLY missed

I absolutely concur with the OP in that the other players were sunk in OT because of that.

That Derozan play was the definition of iso-ball, hero-ball, low IQ at its highest.

And to note - I don't blame DeRozan here. He didn't want to be in San Antonio, and the Spurs sure as hell wouldn't have signed him to a max deal under any hypothetical scenario. I believe the FO sought to punish Leonard by sending him to Canada instead of California, and this guy was the best they could get back.

What's truly tragic is we are probably left with DD for two more seasons with his untradeable contract, and Leonard is on the Clips this July.
We (the Spurs) got our just desserts for the petty play to banish Leonard. Something poetic about that.

SwansonInSibagat
03-27-2019, 11:26 AM

2) DeRozan holds the ball for that ENTIRE duration - never even thinks about passing to setting up a play, with the possibility of him getting it back anyway
3) DeRozan settles for a fully contested fall-away jumper around 20 feet from the goal, with a Belinelli-esque lean to the side, that is BADLY missed

I absolutely concur with the OP in that the other players were sunk in OT because of that.

That Derozan play was the definition of iso-ball, hero-ball, low IQ at its highest.

And to note - I don't blame DeRozan here. He didn't want to be in San Antonio, and the Spurs sure as hell wouldn't have signed him to a max deal under any hypothetical scenario. I believe the FO sought to punish Leonard by sending him to Canada instead of California, and this guy was the best they could get back.

What's truly tragic is we are probably left with DD for two more seasons with his untradeable contract, and Leonard is on the Clips this July.
We (the Spurs) got our just desserts for the petty play to banish Leonard. Something poetic about that.

Season ain't over yet, sir. There's games yet to play. No telling who's getting them just desserts yet.

monty4329
03-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Goodness gracious.

OK, Minnie, Dallas.... Ages ago against lottery teams. You call that "big shots"? I'm sure he made some "big shots' in practice once or twice, should we count them too? You can't be serious. The guy cannot close games, it is so obvious I don't even try to explain it anymore. Either you see it or you don't.

GreekSpursfan
03-27-2019, 12:03 PM
I think Pop is afraid he'll lose DDR if he doesn't force feed him the ball, to keep his confidence up.

I agree with this plus i don't see any other reliable closer on this team. Gay used to be one of those guys but not at this stage of his career, LMA nope. We have to be real, we don't have a closer or better a last min decision maker.

monty4329
03-27-2019, 12:05 PM
..., but man there's gotta be a more creative way to get a better shot than a 20ft fadeaway.

Plus, it certainly is not conductive to a positive team spirit. You bust your ass to watch a moron that plays like Melo with one tenth of Melo's talent? And Melo sucked...

itzsoweezee
03-27-2019, 12:36 PM
The DDR apologia might be a new lowpoint for spurstalk.

The eye test, the stats, the history (every raptors fan is familiar with DDR's testicular infortitude), are all clear on this point.

How many more years on this overrated dude's contact? By the way, don't look at his on/off numbers. It's not pretty.

SwansonInSibagat
03-27-2019, 12:36 PM
OK, Minnie, Dallas.... Ages ago against lottery teams. You call that "big shots"? I'm sure he made some "big shots' in practice once or twice, should we count them too? You can't be serious. The guy cannot close games, it is so obvious I don't even try to explain it anymore. Either you see it or you don't.

There's also that shot againt GS, hombre.

Admit it. You got carried away by your histrionics that you just spewed whatever you felt would back up your agenda against DeRozan. Can't wail against facts.

SwansonInSibagat
03-27-2019, 12:45 PM
There's no DDR apologia or whatever. Some of us just prefer to support the team come hell or high water. DeRozan has his flaws, but to condemn him like he's done nothing good for the team is just pusillanimous posturing.

spurraider21
03-27-2019, 12:52 PM
or he just gets his shot blocked

i agree that if we're going to have an iso type play, the ball should be in gay's hands. as much as we dont like the iso stuff, its the only way you can really control the clock and actually plan to get the shot off right at the buzzer. other sets can have plans change if the defense aggressively doubles and rotates well, forcing you to swing the ball around and there might not be time for that. so your only option then is to start the set way earlier in the clock at the risk of giving the other team a chance at the ball back

SpaceCoast Spursfan
03-27-2019, 01:08 PM
I will add a few additional thoughts. First DDR played a very good game overall. As far as driving to the basket I agree he is not the best finisher especially when there is contact but there is no excuse for him making no effort to get closer to the free throw line area where he is much better shooter. I also wouldn't mind us actually running a play/set and try to create a decent shot even if it ends up not being taken by one of our stars. Last I will agree with Drunk RC if we are going iso would prefer Rudy as he has the size to get his shot off over just about any defender and seems much tougher mentally.

cd98
03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
LOL at people that think it's incredulous that DDR takes a fadeaway jumper in the waning seconds to win a game. Uh, Kobe did that a million times. So did Jordan. Jordan's most famous clutch shot was a double pump jumpshot in the Cleveland series. Was that a good shot? Even Manu hit a fade away jumper a few years ago to beat the Bucks. Kawhi shots fadeaway jumpers at the end of games all the time. It's very common for a game winning shot to be some kind of a fadeaway jumper in the NBA. A fadeaway jumper in isolation. Very common.

cd98
03-27-2019, 01:45 PM

Dude, the score was tied. You eat clock and make sure you get the last shot. You don't pass the ball around and risk a turnover and you don't get into a shot quickly and give the other team the ball back. He did exactly what you should do in that situation. Let the clock run down and then make a move. A step back jumper is a very common shot in that situation and DDR has shown he can make them. Sometimes jumpers on the final possession don't go in. Just ask Kobe and Michael, who missed plenty of them but were still credited as being clutch players.

Not a lot of teams are giving up layups on the last possession to lose a game.

Spurs Homer
03-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Dude, the score was tied. You eat clock and make sure you get the last shot. You don't pass the ball around and risk a turnover and you don't get into a shot quickly and give the other team the ball back. He did exactly what you should do in that situation. Let the clock run down and then make a move. A step back jumper is a very common shot in that situation and DDR has shown he can make them. Sometimes jumpers on the final possession don't go in. Just ask Kobe and Michael, who missed plenty of them but were still credited as being clutch players.

Good post.

I'll add that DDR was having a pretty good game and for a good stretch - he was as unstoppable as Kemba was later - and in OT - that is just bball -

had it gone in - we would be celebrating.

Kurgan
03-27-2019, 02:03 PM
LOL at people that think it's incredulous that DDR takes a fadeaway jumper in the waning seconds to win a game. Uh, Kobe did that a million times. So did Jordan. Jordan's most famous clutch shot was a double pump jumpshot in the Cleveland series. Was that a good shot? Even Manu hit a fade away jumper a few years ago to beat the Bucks. Kawhi shots fadeaway jumpers at the end of games all the time. It's very common for a game winning shot to be some kind of a fadeaway jumper in the NBA. A fadeaway jumper in isolation. Very common.

The shot is not the problem. It's the player that's taking the last shot. Derozan is historically one of the most unclutch players in the league. A playoff choke artist as well. Any team that chooses him as their closer is doomed.

cd98
03-27-2019, 03:12 PM
The shot is not the problem. It's the player that's taking the last shot. Derozan is historically one of the most unclutch players in the league. A playoff choke artist as well. Any team that chooses him as their closer is doomed.

Historically one of the most unclutch players in the league? What? Historically? Ha. Such hyperbole.

vavvi
03-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Missed shots are different.
I’m more mad at how DDR misses in the clutch than at the fact he misses.
For some reason he can’t keep his composure with the game on the line. Crunch-time DDR is a different player from non-crunch time DDR, and that’s frustrating. You can’t say that about LeBron (who missed a bunch of crunch time shots) or other stars. Most of them remain themselves. But DDR loses his passing and his poise, and without 3pt shot that are his main assets. Crunch time tunnel vision may be incurable, so maybe... just maybe Pop should put the ball in the hands of White or Rudy.

Spurtacular
03-27-2019, 06:14 PM
This seems like a cry thread. It's not like we have a Paul Pierce type of closer in lieu of DeRozan. Larry Bird ain't walking through those doors...

itzsoweezee
03-27-2019, 06:42 PM
This seems like a cry thread. It's not like we have a Paul Pierce type of closer in lieu of DeRozan. Larry Bird ain't walking through those doors...

Here's an option, draw up a play and run it

Spurtacular
03-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Yes. That and don't put midgets like Mills in the game in case something breaks down and a player has to create for himself. Belli over Mill any day. Bertans over LMA is better probably too; but no way Pop gonna do that.

Slippy
03-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Good post

Ya to be fair. I along with many other fans wanted spurs to be petty. If I knew it would result in Demar, then I would of thunk differently.

Slippy
03-27-2019, 07:12 PM

To avoid the To, you allow Derrick white to bring the ball up and be set up guy. No need to pass around or have Demar
cough it up on an iso which we have seen enough of.

RC_Drunkford
03-28-2019, 02:13 AM

LeGM anybody?

monty4329
03-28-2019, 07:07 AM

Apparently too hard to understand for DDR apologists here...Too much videogame time instead of real life basketball

monty4329
03-28-2019, 07:09 AM

so do we keep losing games with demented closing possessions? That's a plan, congrats

monty4329
03-28-2019, 07:11 AM
Yes. That and don't put midgets like Mills in the game in case something breaks down and a player has to create for himself. Belli over Mill any day. Bertans over LMA is better probably too; but no way Pop gonna do that.

Agree. Beli had multiple winners in his career,i.e. last season in the playoffs.

vavvi
03-28-2019, 07:17 AM
Agree. Beli had multiple winners in his career,i.e. last season in the playoffs.

For Belli a play should be drawn. If we can’t do it for some reason our best iso scorer is clearly Rudy Gay

Slippy
03-28-2019, 09:00 AM
Apparently too hard to understand for DDR apologists here...Too much videogame time instead of real life basketball

Ya I don't think it's asking for much.

pretty sure one poster put Demar in the ssme breath as MJ,Kobe And even Manu on shooting fadeaways to close. Lol.

Spurtacular
03-28-2019, 09:05 AM
so do we keep losing games with demented closing possessions? That's a plan, congrats

Fair enough.

Gagnrath
03-30-2019, 02:08 AM
So a closing line-up (last 3 minutes close games) of Bertans LMA Gay Belli and DeRozen lacks a real pg if the other team decides to play full court. Maybe pull bertans shift everyone else down and put in white.

spurs10
03-30-2019, 02:36 AM
We lose the game on Manu's retirement night without DDR stepping up in the second half. Saying differently is pretty dim.

Slippy
03-31-2019, 12:07 AM
Derrick white hardly played the first half because of foul trouble again. Meaning ball was in Demar hands most of that first half. As a team it was pathetic performance but a good question would be. how in the he'll did the spurs get into a hole against a crappy east team in the first place.

TD 21
03-31-2019, 08:38 PM
I'm tired of them defaulting to this loser down the stretch because he's a perimeter player who's supposedly a star.

All he generally resorts to, is a steady diet of contested, contorted, mid range pull ups. That being the case, I'd rather go through Aldridge, who's far more efficient at similar enough shots.

It appears he's (DeRozan) already experiencing significant decline athletically. His free throw rate has plummeted, which along with his rarely turning it over is where he's mostly derived offensive value from in the past.

slick'81
03-31-2019, 08:40 PM
I'm tired of them defaulting to this loser down the stretch because he's a perimeter player who's supposedly a star.

All he generally resorts to, is a steady diet of contested, contorted, mid range pull ups. That being the case, I'd rather go through Aldridge, who's far more efficient at similar enough shots.

It appears he's (DeRozan) already experiencing significant decline athletically. His free throw rate has plummeted, which along with his rarely turning it over is where he's mostly derived offensive value from in the past.

It really is insanity! Well hes our sg and all star so keep forcefeeding him down the stretch. Patty makes 13 mil and is our leader so he has to close out every game:lol

spursistan
03-31-2019, 08:44 PM
When will this shit get old for Pop and his coaching staff? How is this dude keep getting allowed to puke all over himself and the team late in the games?

monty4329
04-01-2019, 08:19 AM

It's a player's league. The only explanation I have is that PATFO is afraid no FA will want to come to SA if we don't play the 26million choker. Other than that it is pure insanity.