PDA

View Full Version : Which joke jersey retirement move this soft franchise will do next, tbh?

spursistan
03-30-2019, 02:33 PM
In your opinion, how are they going to they keep lowering the standards for this jersey retirement thing?

Chucho
03-30-2019, 02:35 PM
0/10

Jersey retirements are for teams, not for the sport as a whole. Every player who has their Jersey retired by the Spurs were very important pieces to the franchise. Pretty God damned simple to grasp, if you ask me.

R. DeMurre
03-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Are you saying that retiring Ginobili's number was a joke? I don't understand the premise.

spursistan
03-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Are you saying that retiring Ginobili's number was a joke? I don't understand the premise.

Of course no.

.I'm precisely thinking of Avery and to lesser extent Bruce Bowen. I think there is a measure of lowering the standards that we started there that other teams are now following in retiring marginal and role players jersey (see OKC with Collision)..

slick'81
03-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Def patty mills ! Especially after thatgame winner vs cavs on ginobili day

R. DeMurre
03-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Of course no.

.I'm precisely thinking of Avery and to lesser extent Bruce Bowen. I think there is a measure of lowering the standards that we started there that other teams are now following in retiring marginal and role players jersey (see OKC with Collision)..

OK, that's a good argument. I didn't think you'd be saying Manu wasn't worthy, so the timing of the thread confused me.

DJR210
03-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Of course no.

I think every jersey in the rafters should be there.. I can't really speak on Moore and Silas as it was before my time, but those are the two that stand out to me as there was no championship associated w/ their tenure here. Gervin of course did not ring either, however he is a Hall of Famer and achieved individual success on a high level. If I was forced to choose any member of the Spurs hanging that is associated with championship years that shouldn't be up there, I'd go with Avery.

As for your take on Bruce, he is one of the best defenders of all time, and played relentless defense on the opponent's best player in every one of those years he was a Spur. He was vital to 3 championships and he absolutely deserves his spot in Spurs history.

LakerHater
03-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Avery's was a joke, it should come down!

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Disgusting to think Mills will have his jersey retired for having an aussie accent on HEB commercials and because he has a cup of coffee every day with the team and frogs for them afterwards.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Honestly wouldn't be shocked if we retired Pop's buddy Lebron's jersey like Miami did with Jordan. Posting it now so I can bump it 3 years from now

spursistan
03-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Disgusting to think Mills will have his jersey retired for having an aussie accent on HEB commercials and because he has a cup of coffee every day with the team and frogs for them afterwards.

:lmao..

The sad part, knowing how soft this franchise, Mills getting his jersey retired is more of a lock than an uncertainty at this point..

He absolutely gets up in the rafters if he doesn't get traded before the end of this contract..Almost sure of that.

sasaint
03-30-2019, 04:30 PM
:lmao..

The sad part, knowing how soft this franchise, Mills getting his jersey retired is more of a lock than an uncertainty at this point..

He absolutely gets up in the rafters if he doesn't get traded before the end of this contract..Almost sure of that.

More likely that Patty gets re-signed after this contract.

slick'81
03-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Yup fcker will be here until hes 38 tbh

spursistan
03-30-2019, 04:35 PM

And then he would become the longest tenured Spur after D-Rob, Sean Elliott and the Big 3..

freemeat
03-30-2019, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing the next ceremony will be to put Pop's name up there. Not a jersey retirement, of course, but a recognition ceremony to put his name next to Tim, Manu and eventually Tony.

freemeat
03-30-2019, 05:20 PM
I'm guessing the next ceremony will be to put Pop's name up there. Not a jersey retirement, of course, but a recognition ceremony to put his name next to Tim, Manu and eventually Tony.

I guess it depends whether Parker or Pop retire first. I've always imagined if Pop were still coaching, Parker might opt to come back to SA on a vet's minimum after his contract with Charlotte, for one final season before retiring.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2019, 07:11 PM
Why do you guys make threads like this? If you hate this franchise so much, why are you a fan? Are you all 15 and trying to be edgy? I honestly don't get it.

JeffDuncan
03-30-2019, 07:38 PM
OP is a Lakers fan.

TE
03-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Why do you guys make threads like this? If you hate this franchise so much, why are you a fan? Are you all 15 and trying to be edgy? I honestly don't get it.
Seriously lol

spurs10
03-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Really thoughtful poll! I will try to tell people about it and share on social media.

Proxy
03-30-2019, 07:48 PM

apalisoc_9
03-30-2019, 07:49 PM
In your opinion, how are they going to they keep lowering the standards for this jersey retirement thing?

They'll probably retire kawhi Jersey.

The 2011-2016 run from a regular season and playoff standpoint is way too good

apalisoc_9
03-30-2019, 07:51 PM

What do you want people to do? Eliminate casual conversation and limit everything to praise?

apalisoc_9
03-30-2019, 07:53 PM

:lol

Its very likely they'll retire his number.

I think from they're standpoint its easier to sign scrubs if they show anyones number can be retired :lol

Dverde
03-30-2019, 07:54 PM
I have no issues with any of the retired jerseys. Avery hit the game clinching shot to win the Spurs’ first championship. I have no idea who Johnny Moore, but old people tell me he was good. Championships tend to bring more jersey retirements.

Spurtacular
03-30-2019, 08:02 PM
They'll probably retire kawhi Jersey.

The 2011-2016 run from a regular season and playoff standpoint is way too good

If he had had career ending injuries this would've been the case. No real Spurs fan wants that faggot's number retired though.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2019, 08:02 PM
What do you want people to do? Eliminate casual conversation and limit everything to praise?

Its just stupid that this place is now one where so called fans do nothing but shit on the Spurs. There is way more bitching about the team and PATFO here than any form of praise. The team just set a huge record and this place is probably the most toxic place to talk about the Spurs.

Shit gets old man. I had a lot of fun with people from this place watching the Spurs so its sad to see it be such a cesspool of bullshit. There's still some good stuff from certain posters here, but the vast majority just comes off as the cringiest attempts to be edgy.

On the heels of Manu's jersey and the Playoff streak there's virtually no discussion of how awesome both those things are but here we have this shit thread and others complaining about nonsense. I bet OP never even watched AJ play but here he is bitching about him.

Whatever, maybe I'm just getting old.

apalisoc_9
03-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Its just stupid that this place is now one where so called fans do nothing but shit on the Spurs. There is way more bitching about the team and PATFO here than any form of praise. The team just set a huge record and this place is probably the most toxic place to talk about the Spurs.

Shit gets old man. I had a lot of fun with people from this place watching the Spurs so its sad to see it be such a cesspool of bullshit. There's still some good stuff from certain posters here, but the vast majority just comes off as the cringiest attempts to be edgy.

On the heels of Manu's jersey and the Playoff streak there's virtually no discussion of how awesome both those things are but here we have this shit thread and others complaining about nonsense. I bet OP never even watched AJ play but here he is bitching about him.

I get you man.

There is definitely more bitching than spurs conversation. However, i do think this thread specifically is spurs discussion thread but Op presented it in a way that can easily be interpreted as bitching.

But it's just the name of the of the game. Two years ago when the sours were winning 60+ games the bitching was very limited.

I think if you go to any forums and websites.."bitching is always directly tied to winning" and its rough seeing the spurs lose its 50+ win status

DJR210
03-30-2019, 08:28 PM

I agree w/ your take, but fuck all the BS this is still the best place to talk Spurs on the net

K...
03-30-2019, 08:34 PM
LOL when we move stadiums i have a feeling a bunch of the banners will go missing and no one will give a fuck about avery or mills

WallyTiger
03-30-2019, 08:34 PM
As for your take on Bruce, he is one of the best defenders of all time, and played relentless defense on the opponent's best player in every one of those years he was a Spur. He was vital to 3 championships and he absolutely deserves his spot in Spurs history.

GreekSpursfan
03-30-2019, 08:41 PM
Parker, Pop and a Tim Duncan statue and thats about it. I don't have a problem with Bruce Bowen's or Avery J. jersey being retired, they played their entire careers here and they weren't Collison tbh. Lets not lower their contribution to this team just because they weren't as talented as others.

DJR210
03-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Parker, Pop and a Tim Duncan statue and thats about it. I don't have a problem with Bruce Bowen's or Avery J. jersey being retired, they played their entire careers here and they weren't Collison tbh. Lets not lower their contribution to this team just because they weren't as talented as others.

Why would Parker get a statue but not Manu? Big three statue or nothing

Biggems
03-31-2019, 12:15 AM
IMO, only 3 numbers should be retired.....44, 50, 21.

Silas, Moore, Mitchell, Elliott, Avery, Bruce, Manu, and Tony should be in a ring of honor type thing, but no jersey retirement.

Canyonero
03-31-2019, 01:38 AM
If you want to be picky and retire only HoF numbers then there should be 5 (Gervin, DRob, Tim, Manu, Tony) + a banner for Pop with a big beard.

RC_Drunkford
03-31-2019, 09:21 AM

People still talk about Bowen being a legendary defender to this day, he absolutely deserves to hang up there

ThaBigFundamental21
03-31-2019, 12:19 PM
Of course no.

The Collison jersey retirement is mind blowing.

K...
03-31-2019, 12:23 PM
The Collison jersey retirement is mind blowing.

there's a good chance that once westbrook retires okc will be a move candidate and their poor franchise will need all the retirements they can get to minimize Durant and Harden leaving. Retire Ibaka too while they are at it.

benefactor
03-31-2019, 12:34 PM

...which is why I quit putting in real effort up here a while ago. It's just casting pearls to swine now. It's a bunch of try hards running the same played out shticks over and over. Even the meltdowns aren't nearly as good as back in the day.

TimDunkem
03-31-2019, 12:54 PM
Who is retiring first? Mills or Aldridge?

8FOR!3
03-31-2019, 01:11 PM
I was born in 1991 so I can't really speak on players' contributions before David Robinson (although I did Spurs camps as a kid and stuff so we saw some cool videos about the history of the team and etc.) but of course I didn't grow up watching any of the guys who's jerseys are retired that played before his era. But I do think Avery Johnson and Bruce Bowen shouldn't be on the list. I do think they deserved some sort of ceremony for what they accomplished as a Spur, especially Bowen. But it's silly. Out of the guys who played in my era David, Tim, Manu, and TP are the only ones who deserve to have their jerseys retired. Kawhi was probably headed that direction if he was a lifetime Spur but obviously all that shit happened.

SpurPadre
03-31-2019, 01:54 PM
The biggest joke would be Bonner having a jersey retirement ceremony.

slick'81
03-31-2019, 03:14 PM
The biggest joke would be Bonner having a jersey retirement ceremony.

Thall never happen thank god

Kool Bob Love
03-31-2019, 04:21 PM
IMO, only 3 numbers should be retired.....44, 50, 21.

Silas, Moore, Mitchell, Elliott, Avery, Bruce, Manu, and Tony should be in a ring of honor type thing, but no jersey retirement.

Co-sign. :tu

jjktkk
03-31-2019, 04:36 PM

You're not the only Manny. :tu

DarrinS
03-31-2019, 06:03 PM

DJR210
03-31-2019, 07:53 PM
People still talk about Bowen being a legendary defender to this day, he absolutely deserves to hang up there

Kobe Bryant went on record and said his favorite venue to play in was in front of 35k in the Alamodome, and his favorite opponent of all time? Bruce Bowen.

Hate him or love him, Kobe welcomed the challenge of the best defender in basketball going at him all game, whereas you have pussies like Ray Allen crying and lobbying how "dirty" he was

slick'81
03-31-2019, 08:51 PM
Cant wait for pstty mills night. They should hand out $50 million dollar contracts to the fans signed by fatty

GreekSpursfan
03-31-2019, 08:58 PM
Why would Parker get a statue but not Manu? Big three statue or nothing

Sorry if i wasn't being clear, a statue only for Tim Duncan, jersey retirements for the other two, Parker and Pop.

TD 21
03-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Every franchise in the "big 4" should have a "Ring of Honor". That's where the likes of Silas, Moore, Elliott, Johnson, Bowen, etc. (:lmao at the Thunder retiring Collison) should be acknowledged. Role players should never have their jerseys retired.

No disrespect to any of them, but they have no business being in the rafters alongside Hall-of-Famers and future ones, who won multiple championships. It should be beneath a franchise of this stature to have a standard beneath that.

007nites
04-01-2019, 02:25 AM
Every franchise in the "big 4" should have a "Ring of Honor". That's where the likes of Silas, Moore, Elliott, Johnson, Bowen, etc. (:lmao at the Thunder retiring Collison) should be acknowledged. Role players should never have their jerseys retired.

No disrespect to any of them, but they have no business being in the rafters alongside Hall-of-Famers and future ones, who won multiple championships. It should be beneath a franchise of this stature to have a standard beneath that.

The Collison retiring was hilarious. At least Elliot was a 2 time all-star with us and helped us win in 99 and Bruce 5 Time All-NBA Defensive first team, 3 time All-NBA Defensive Second team, and helping us to 3 titles. Not sure about Avery though. I think David had some say in getting his jersey retired.

UnWantedTheory
04-01-2019, 03:21 AM
What do you want people to do? Eliminate casual conversation and limit everything to praise?Criticism is fine, however these douches go beyond that. This is just trolling. This has been addressed numerous times over the years and the hit job threads are getting old. If you have nothing interesting or new to add, shutting the fuck up is always an option.

UnWantedTheory
04-01-2019, 03:26 AM
Neither played their entire career here, but I still don't take issue with their jersey's being retired.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2019, 12:25 PM

I'm guessing these guys have really sh!tty lives outside of this place, so bashing others is about the only thing that makes them feel a little less small.