PDA

View Full Version : Has Tony Parker Played His Last Game?

Dverde
03-30-2019, 06:45 PM
Anyone notice Sean Elliott say “...his jersey will be retired here next year” or something like that during his introduction. TP has missed the last six games and doesn’t appear injured. I wonder if he’s played his last game.

Spurtacular
03-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Not how the NBA (and probably the Hornets by proxy) sees it, tbh.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nba-will-play-its-firstever-game-in-paris-in-2020-and-it-could-impact-tony-parkers-future-224546591.html

Spurtacular
03-30-2019, 06:49 PM
I started a thread on this and the mods inexplicably closed it. But this is how it goes:

Parker fulfills his two-year contract with the Hornets and then he comes back to the Spurs for his twentieth and final season, where he'll be "a veteran presence" on the bench and a "mentor to the young guys".

slick'81
03-30-2019, 07:04 PM
I doubt the hornets pick up his option.Tp should call it a career

DJR210
03-30-2019, 07:54 PM
I doubt the hornets pick up his option.Tp should call it a career

He thinks he's gonna play to 40.. I haven't seen any Hornets games this year, but I didn't think that was gonna be possible when he said it..

DJR210
03-30-2019, 07:55 PM
Also, :lmao @ Sean Elliot going ahead and retiring Parker during the Manu celebration and saying we will be raising Parker's jersey next season

Anyone notice Sean Elliott say “...his jersey will be retired here next year” or something like that during his introduction. TP has missed the last six games and doesn’t appear injured. I wonder if he’s played his last game.

:lmao you beat me to it

Spurtacular
03-30-2019, 07:57 PM
The only reason I wouldn't call this thread 100 proof schtick is b/c there's a chance the Hornets won't retain Parker's services. But his stats hit decent levels 'cept for the three percentage. But the Hornets were well aware of his deteriorating shot from behind the arc when they signed him.

I suppose it's possible that the Hornets had not been paying attention to the fact that he's a moving traffic cone on defense and have some buyer's remorse; they're not that great of an organization after all.

Dverde
03-30-2019, 08:06 PM
The only reason I wouldn't call this thread 100 proof schtick is b/c there's a chance the Hornets won't retain Parker's services. But his stats hit decent levels 'cept for the three percentage. But the Hornets were well aware of his deteriorating shot from behind the arc when they signed him.

I suppose it's possible that the Hornets had not been paying attention to the fact that he's a moving traffic cone on defense and have some buyer's remorse; they're not that great of an organization after all.

You are assuming TP wants to go back to the Bobcats. If they lose Kemba Walker, they are probably going to be horrible. I doubt he’ll be back unless they retain Kemba.

Spurtacular
03-30-2019, 08:08 PM
You are assuming TP wants to go back to the Bobcats. If they lose Kemba Walker, they are probably going to be horrible. I doubt he’ll be back unless they retain Kemba.

If playing on a good team was TP's main motivation he would've stayed with the Spurs. Then again, I don't know if the Spurs told him to find work else where and that the official narrative is just bull shit.

gambit1990
03-30-2019, 08:08 PM
said it when they signed him, i wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up trading him.

but jordan has an awful eye for talent so maybe they hang on to him.

K...
03-30-2019, 08:54 PM
said it when they signed him, i wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up trading him.

but jordan has an awful eye for talent so maybe they hang on to him.

who is going to trade for him? He has no future and no value. Either they keep him because batum wants him, or they cut him. Like most year Parker can get a few weeks of turning back the clock and then gets worm down. Charlotte has to sell the team, so having a known HOF play 15m a game isn't the worse option.

I don't see the spurs signing him for a year when we have so many prospects to play. He can scout and scrimmage, but i wouldn't take his "leadship" over a new player especially if we keep marco who is basically a better shooting parker.

RC_Drunkford
03-31-2019, 09:17 AM
add another player and trade Patty Mills for Parker + filler. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Dverde
03-31-2019, 10:21 AM
Kinda stinks to retire same year as Dirk and overrated D. Wade. He could get a pending retirement sympathy ASG spot next year. Spurs would sign him again. He just wouldn’t play often and be buried on the roster. Maybe play overseas for a year and buy another vacation house with the money.

Cane
03-31-2019, 01:54 PM
He could get a pending retirement sympathy ASG spot next year. Spurs would sign him again.

Hell no he couldn't.

ZeusWillJudge
03-31-2019, 02:08 PM
So if Charlotte were to waive him, could he come sign for a game or two here, knowing that he's not playoff eligible? Just to let the Spurs have the going away party? I don't think there's any chance they are bringing him back next year anyway. That would solve a whole lot of problems.

gambit1990
03-31-2019, 03:54 PM
who is going to trade for him? He has no future and no value.
it's called trade filler.

Dverde
03-31-2019, 07:21 PM
Hell no he couldn't.

I disagree. He is a no doubt NBA hall of famer. He would probably have to announce it before the season like David Robinson and D Wade. I could see them giving the spots to him and Vince Carter next year.

DAF86
03-31-2019, 07:33 PM
LA playing soft after that first quarter.

ZeusWillJudge
03-31-2019, 07:38 PM
I just don't want PATFO to do something stupid, just to let him retire here. Unless the rule has changed, the league would pick up half of his salary next year (if it's a minimum deal). But I don't want him plugging up a roster spot for a whole season. He could probably provide some minutes, but damn the team needs to commit to the future.

I was just looking for some way they could do the ceremony and then he's gone.

slick'81
03-31-2019, 10:08 PM
I just don't want PATFO to do something stupid, just to let him retire here. Unless the rule has changed, the league would pick up half of his salary next year (if it's a minimum deal). But I don't want him plugging up a roster spot for a whole season. He could probably provide some minutes, but damn the team needs to commit to the future.

I was just looking for some way they could do the ceremony and then he's gone.

Just be glad he didnt accept a contract to stay here.wed probably still be stuck with tp9 next season.Its bad enough were still paying gasol

ElNono
04-01-2019, 02:53 AM
5 years ago called, it want this thread back, tbh

Play Boban
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
It's sad to see how washes up Enrique is. Manu was still playing at a relatively high level in his early 40s. Enrique is a washed up bonafide scrub in his mid 30s.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-01-2019, 05:12 PM
I think he'll be a Spur next season for his farewell lap. He's probably the only one of the Big 3 who will relish the tribute videos and attention at the various arenas around the league.

gambit1990
04-01-2019, 07:32 PM
earlier this season tony said his time the spurs was over / indicated he wouldn’t be coming back.

sasaint
04-01-2019, 07:51 PM
I think he'll be a Spur next season for his farewell lap. He's probably the only one of the Big 3 who will relish the tribute videos and attention at the various arenas around the league.

PLEASE, NO!

Chris
04-01-2019, 07:53 PM
It's sad to see how washes up Enrique is. Manu was still playing at a relatively high level in his early 40s. Enrique is a washed up bonafide scrub in his mid 30s.

TP was rode hard and put up wet. Manu came off the bench to shoot 3 pointers.

GusT15
04-01-2019, 07:56 PM
PLEASE, NO!

If i'm not mistaken the Hornets are supposed to play a game in Paris next season.

I say no chance in hell TP will miss out on having 20k Frenchmen going crazy for him for 2 hours.

RC_Drunkford
04-02-2019, 04:54 AM
sign him back so Pop can play the Parker-Mills-Forbes line up again that he loves so much

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2019, 06:09 AM
If i'm not mistaken the Hornets are supposed to play a game in Paris next season.

I say no chance in hell TP will miss out on having 20k Frenchmen going crazy for him for 2 hours.

Didn’t realize that. Yeah, no way he misses that unless MJ pulls the plug on his roster spot.

John B
04-02-2019, 08:00 AM
earlier this season tony said his time the spurs was over / indicated he wouldn’t be coming back.
He’s coming back to retire him. There’s no question to it.

MultiTroll
04-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Won't retire on his own.
Q is will some team hire him?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Won't retire on his own.
Q is will some team hire him?

Maybe he'll visit Paris as a Hornets assistant coach next year.

Seventyniner
04-03-2019, 08:20 AM

That, and the $5 million on his contract next season.

Does anyone know how far in advance this game was scheduled? Did the Hornets only agree to go to Paris because they got Tony to go with Batum, or had that been on their schedule for a while?

MultiTroll
04-03-2019, 08:25 AM
That, and the $5 million on his contract next season.
Team option.

Seventyniner
04-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Team option.

Nevermind then, thank you for the correction. I thought the Spurs offered him 2/10 fully guaranteed and Charlotte offered the same plus actual meaningful playing time, but it appears I was wrong.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2019, 01:04 PM
I hope so, he's probably the worst player in the NBA right now, it hurts to see him like this..he got benched by an East lottery team, that's not how a HOFer should be ending his career .

spursistan
04-04-2019, 01:10 PM
I hope so, he's probably the worst player in the NBA right now, it hurts to see him like this..he got benched by an East lottery team, that's not how a HOFer should be ending his career .

Should have accepted a Nick Collision/Udonis Haslem role (leadership on the bench or in a suit) and retired as a Spur..He really ruined a good thing going for him..

Millennial_Messiah
04-04-2019, 02:22 PM

Behind the arc? That was never really part of his repertoire. He made a few isolated timely ones (Miami Game 6 2013 comes to mind), plus one every several games from the corner when wide open, but that was never part of his game.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Should have accepted a Nick Collision/Udonis Haslem role (leadership on the bench or in a suit) and retired as a Spur..He really ruined a good thing going for him..

To be fair, somebody who has played at the level Parker has probably didn't want to subject himself to being behind Patty Mills in the rotation:lol

TDomination
04-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Behind the arc? That was never really part of his repertoire. He made a few isolated timely ones (Miami Game 6 2013 comes to mind), plus one every several games from the corner when wide open, but that was never part of his game.

Its funny though as rarely as he shot them, he was pretty clutch with the 3pt shot. He'd always seem to hit it when the team needed it.

Millennial_Messiah
04-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Its funny though as rarely as he shot them, he was pretty clutch with the 3pt shot. He'd always seem to hit it when the team needed it.

Particularly toward the end of his career, yes. Earlier on though he couldn't hit one if his life depended on it. Possibly because he used to take mostly angle ones instead of corner or top of the circle.

Spurtacular
04-04-2019, 06:33 PM

He's significantly worse than in his heyday from the three.