PDA

View Full Version : Red Alert! Sulu is Gay!

samikeyp
10-28-2005, 07:43 AM
ok..maybe pink alert. :lol

Beam me up, silly! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051028/ap_on_en_tv/people_george_takei)

LOS ANGELES - George Takei, who as helmsman Sulu steered the Starship Enterprise through three television seasons and six movies, has come out as a homosexual in the current issue of Frontiers, a biweekly Los Angeles magazine covering the gay and lesbian community.

Takei told The Associated Press on Thursday that his new onstage role as psychologist Martin Dysart in "Equus," helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality.

Takei described the character as a "very contained but turbulently frustrated man." The play opened Wednesday at the David Henry Hwang Theater in Los Angeles, the same day that Frontiers magazine featured a story on Takei's coming out.

The current social and political climate also motivated Takei's disclosure, he said.

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," he said. "The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young."

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.

Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

"It's against basic decency and what American values stand for," he said.

Takei joined the "Star Trek" cast in 1966 as Hikaru Sulu, a character he played for three seasons on television and in six subsequent films. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986.

A community activist, Takei ran for the Los Angeles City Council in 1973. He serves on the advisory committee of the California Civil Liberties Public Education Program and is chairman of East West Players, the theater company producing "Equus."

MaNuMaNiAc
10-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeah, could see that coming a mile away

Useruser666
10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
He's gay?!!

http://www.wfp51744.w1.com/takei.jpg

http://www.georgetakei.com/biophoto.jpg

http://jc1701.com/georgetakei_x.jpg

http://www.der-deutsche-spock.de/pics/takeiwein_klein.jpg

"As a kid I loved pirates and Errol Flynn, and my childhood fantasy was to swashbuckle through Sherwood Forest. And in a way Star Trek has fulfilled that dream, if you look upon it as swashbuckling through space."

http://cinemacapman.tripod.com/sulucollage640.jpg

Ishta
10-28-2005, 08:49 AM
who cares?

Extra Stout
10-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Gay people? In Hollywood???

Wow. What's next, lesbians in the WNBA?

Extra Stout
10-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Tomorrow is a top official at the Westminster Kennel Club going to come out?

Useruser666
10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Tomorrow is a top official at the Westminster Kennel Club going to come out?

Top dog?

Extra Stout
10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Top dog?
I'm not encouraging them to give out details like that.

Gatita
10-28-2005, 11:28 AM
User those pictures are hilarious.

Anyhow, Patrick Stewart was the captain for many a year and is gay.

samikeyp
10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
"From now on, the phaser settings will be changed from "stun" to "stunning" and from "kill" to "lightly bruise"

Triumph
10-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Tikaei likes guys
and Spock likes cock...

what else is new...Scottie beamed both of them, and they didn't call the doc 'Bones' for nothing...

Kirk? he went both ways...and who can blame him, Uhura was a freak, and when she throws the brown suga around, you can't help but try to get a taste...supafreak, i tell you.

samikeyp
10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
and of course...this pic doesn't help. :)

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051028/capt.ny13510280207.people_george_takei_ny135.jpg

ObiwanGinobili
10-28-2005, 01:55 PM
User those pictures are hilarious.

Anyhow, Patrick Stewart was the captain for many a year and is gay.

Thats actually untrue.
Patrick Stewart is straight and is currently married to Wendy Nuess a former Star Trek producer. And she's a woman.
It's his 2nd marriage, he has 2 children from his 1st.

Vashner
10-28-2005, 02:01 PM
hhahahahhahahah lol..

Gatita
10-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Thats actually untrue.
Patrick Stewart is straight and is currently married to Wendy Nuess a former Star Trek producer. And she's a woman.
It's his 2nd marriage, he has 2 children from his 1st.

I didn't find anything on the web stating that his was married.

But, anyhow good lord married men with childern mind you, couldn't be gay.

BTW, he is wonderful at playing a gay man.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:lol

Summers
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
When I was little (like 6) my mom never missed Star Trek and I had a crush on Sulu. Is that weird?

T Park
10-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Id ask, why he thinks he has to tell us.

Just freakn be.

Its like its supposed to be the new "cool" thinng.

Guess what, IM GAY!!! So fucking what..... Im straight, you dont see me announcing it in a press release.

Just freakin be gay. No one cares.

Summers
10-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Just freakn be.

Guess what, IM GAY!!! So fucking what..... Im straight, you dont see me announcing it in a press release.

But nobody's ever denied you housing or job opportunities or tried to beat the crap out of you because you're straight.

Vashner
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
"Sulu.. is that your hand on my ass"
"why yes captain.. don't you get lonely on these 5 year missions"...

Useruser666
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Just freakn be.

You're straight?!!!

AlamoSpursFan
10-28-2005, 02:49 PM
No shit! Better schedule that presser. We had no idea.

Mr Dio
10-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Sulu can't be gay! Ask his son JBlaze!

Vashner
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
This is why I didn't want to serve on a submarine... little too close quarters for me..

ClintSquint
10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
http://www.kilroywashere.com/sarah/greatm~1.jpg
"Damn it Jim!, he's gay not stupid!!"

N.Y. Johnny
10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Fags

Extra Stout
10-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm guessing this sudden rush of semi-famous people "coming out" is part of a coordinated campaign. I'm guessing it has something to do with lobbying toward recognizing committed homosexual relationships as "marriage."

N.Y. Johnny
10-28-2005, 03:17 PM
when will Robert Reed come out

ObiwanGinobili
10-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I didn't find anything on the web stating that his was married.

But, anyhow good lord married men with childern mind you, couldn't be gay.

BTW, he is wonderful at playing a gay man.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

yes he is ! :lol I saw him on stage once in NY. His character was gay and he played it perfectly.

I'm a big fat star trek geek :nerd so thats how I know this stuff.... hell if i put my mind to it I could get his home address...... but that would lead to all kinds of bad courtroom drama :oops

Gatita
10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
yes he is ! :lol I saw him on stage once in NY. His character was gay and he played it perfectly.

I'm a big fat star trek geek :nerd so thats how I know this stuff.... hell if i put my mind to it I could get his home address...... but that would lead to all kinds of bad courtroom drama :oops

Stalker!! :lol

Summers
10-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm guessing this sudden rush of semi-famous people "coming out" is part of a coordinated campaign. I'm guessing it has something to do with lobbying toward recognizing committed homosexual relationships as "marriage."

Yes, it's a vast left-wing conspiracy. :lol

Who controls the British now?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/downloads/music.shtml

RandomGuy
10-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Nichele Nichols had a less than secret affair with Rodenberry when they were filming the series...

Got an old old old paper back about the making of the series that came out shortly after the first star trek movie did. Lots of juicy gossip, and everybody was still alive at that point.

RandomGuy
10-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Or...

It could be that the stigma is fading somewhat and all the people who kept it secret to protect their careers don't feel it endangers them anymore. I find this a lot more believable, than any "semi-famous" cabal of actors conspiring to further some nebulous policy...

exstatic
10-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Of the ground? He's dead, Jim.

ObiwanGinobili
10-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Stalker!! :lol

shhhhh!! :angel
it's not stalking if your in-love......... :lol

SpursWoman
10-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Nerds.

Gatita
10-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Nerds.

Many resemble that remark.

ShoogarBear
10-28-2005, 09:50 PM

Of the ground? He's dead, Jim.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

ZStomp
10-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Who???

Extra Stout
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Or...

It could be that the stigma is fading somewhat and all the people who kept it secret to protect their careers don't feel it endangers them anymore. I find this a lot more believable, than any "semi-famous" cabal of actors conspiring to further some nebulous policy...
Actors and WNBA players have to stay closeted to protect their careers?

When is Tom Cruise coming out?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Well shit. Looks like I'm going to lose the money I put down in Vegas on the Swoopes-Takei wedding.

Summers
10-31-2005, 05:32 PM
shhhhh!! :angel
it's not stalking if your in-love......... :lol

Try telling that to the police as they're prying your fingers off a security gate at 3 in the morning. Bastards!

samikeyp
10-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Well shit. Looks like I'm going to lose the money I put down in Vegas on the Swoopes-Takei wedding.

:lmao :lmao

Carie
10-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Try telling that to the police as they're prying your fingers off a security gate at 3 in the morning. Bastards!

ObiwanGinobili
10-31-2005, 05:39 PM

:lmao :lmao

unfeeling heartless automatons!!

bigzak25
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM

Just freakn be.

i understand your viewpoint, but i'm sure he is 'coming out' so to speak so that he can show others that he is not afraid of the judgement of other people. i think it is Brave! I applaud him for his courage, even if I don't agree with the sexual preference...

bigzak25
10-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Actors and WNBA players have to stay closeted to protect their careers?

When is Tom Cruise coming out?

Tom Cruise may or may not be gay, but he is DEFINITELY a wolf in sheeps clothing...