PDA

View Full Version : Forbes Getting Love From Lowe

BillMc
04-05-2019, 02:53 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26437561/ten-things-like-end-season-spectacular

Here's a snippet:

13. The heady game of Bryn Forbes (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2994526/bryn-forbes)Forbes shouldn't start next season with the return of Dejounte Murray (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3907497/dejounte-murray), but he has proven himself a canny hybrid guard -- more than a shooter. (He is that, though: 42 percent from deep on five attempts per game.)
Forbes is decisive blowing by defenders rushing to close out on him, and has a knack for tricky interior passes:

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2019, 02:56 PM
I absolutely detested Forbes last season, but he's grown into a useful player..as a mid-bench guy playing 15 MPG or so, he could be a nice piece to have on a team as a bench spark, he's better than Mills, for instance..

The role he plays for the Spurs is just irresponsible, though..28 MPG and a starting role(I understand that it's due to circumstances) for a player with his limitations is ludicrous..

BillMc
04-05-2019, 03:00 PM
The role he plays for the Spurs is just irresponsible, though..28 MPG and a starting role(I understand that it's due to circumstances) for a player with his limitations is ludicrous..

I think it was necessitated by the injury to DJ and the fact that the starting lineup has no steady 3 point shooters. When he returns to the bench next year he could be a minor asset.

ZeusWillJudge
04-05-2019, 03:10 PM
As long as he isn't on the floor at the same time as DDR, against starting lineups, he could be a net positive IMO.

But when you look at the entire NBA, and come up with a short list of things you need to talk about - and one of them is Bryn Forbes?

lmbebo
04-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Off the bench shooter is his role or if you got some like MJ or Kobe as your 2 guard ....

Next year, I could see Spurs doing a 3 guard line up with a combo of White/Walker/DJ/DDR. Not sure how Marco/Mills/Forbes will fit in eventually. It'll be a mins problem for sure.

TDomination
04-05-2019, 03:18 PM
If we didn't have Mills, i think we would have liked forbes more. But with Mills, its like they are exactly the same. Both weak on D, streaky on O.
But Forbes is cheaper.

Trade Mills, keep Forbes to 20 minutes per game off the bench, that could work well.

spurraider21
04-05-2019, 03:28 PM
I absolutely detested Forbes last season, but he's grown into a useful player..as a mid-bench guy playing 15 MPG or so, he could be a nice piece to have on a team as a bench spark, he's better than Mills, for instance..

this. and financially he's a bargain too. he's set to make just 3 mil next year

with dejounte healthy and lonnie hopefully earning a regular role, they wont have to lean in forbes nearly as much

Mugen
04-05-2019, 03:45 PM
:lol These dummies thinking Pop is going to cut Bryn's minutes next year

BSfromTX
04-05-2019, 04:08 PM

I mean, surely DJ takes some of his minutes.

exstatic
04-05-2019, 04:12 PM
I mean, surely DJ takes some of his minutes.

Not to mention LW IV. Our guard rotation will look much different next year.

Degoat
04-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Forbes > Mills

Spurch
04-05-2019, 04:45 PM
I say keep everyone in tact just add a good scoring free agent like vucevic, there is cap space available as kawhi left Mills, Forbes, Marco, bertans, are all great shooters and every team the way the league is presently needs shooters.

GAustex
04-05-2019, 04:51 PM
If we didn't have Mills, i think we would have liked forbes more. But with Mills, its like they are exactly the same. Both weak on D, streaky on O.
But Forbes is cheaper.

Trade Mills, keep Forbes to 20 minutes per game off the bench, that could work well.
This
DDR too

GreekSpursfan
04-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Forbes is a very useful cheap bench player that Pop was forced by the circumstances, injuries, nephew(and his mistake to pay Mills that money thus not having enough money for a better option). We need to see more from Forbes next season especially defensively and a little more consistency offensively if we are to keep him going forward.

weeks
04-05-2019, 05:06 PM
kiss of death tbh

spurs10
04-05-2019, 05:15 PM
I think it was necessitated by the injury to DJ and the fact that the starting lineup has no steady 3 point shooters. When he returns to the bench next year he could be a minor asset. Yep I agree! Also think we should do a fundraiser for that young lady in your sig, so she can afford a proper t-shirt...........on second thought, that is a horrible idea! :smokin

spurraider21
04-05-2019, 05:29 PM
where do dejounte's minutes come from? lonnies?

Larry O
04-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Looks like Sparty has needed some confidence to get him going offensively, and it has shown, lately. Now... it hasn't fixed his defense, but hopefully for this summer, he will work hard on that to improve on his defensive skills, as well other aspects of his game, & yeah, in the end, it will pay off for him as well as for the Spurs. If he's retained, let's see what his upside can come to... perhaps a notch or two, but at the end of the day, he's really an off the bench role player that can be used to give some instant scoring if he's on he money.

slick'81
04-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Doesnt matter we still have mills

jjktkk
04-05-2019, 07:15 PM

How do you see his role next year?

BillMc
04-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Yep I agree! Also think we should do a fundraiser for that young lady in your sig, so she can afford a proper t-shirt...........on second thought, that is a horrible idea! :smokin
:rollin

Mr. Body
04-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Forbes has dug a place out for himself in this league. It's fucking amazing. Kudos to him and the coaching staff.

offset formation
04-05-2019, 10:08 PM

Yep. Much different.

YGWHI
04-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Tell me that "different" in this case means better (crossed fingers emoji)

Mugen
04-06-2019, 09:48 AM
where do dejounte's minutes come from? lonnies?

Probably DWhite, Derozan, and whomever else on the team that doesn't have a girl's name.

BillMc
04-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Tell me that "different" in this case means better (crossed fingers emoji)
This

Dverde
04-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Gary Neal v2.0. Someone will throw some money at him and off he goes. Bounces around the league for 4-5 years. Goes to China and averages 24 points a game. Maybe he comes back eventually like Jimmer.

kobyz
04-06-2019, 11:15 AM
should get some votes for MIP

jjktkk
04-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Gary Neal v2.0. Someone will throw some money at him and off he goes. Bounces around the league for 4-5 years. Goes to China and averages 24 points a game. Maybe he comes back eventually like Jimmer.

I think Forbes is a better ball handler than Neal, but yeah, I can see a similar career like Neal.

Raven
04-06-2019, 11:42 AM

this

dbestpro
04-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Time to move on from Marco and Patty next year and do your best to get a defensive minded SF.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-06-2019, 12:54 PM
But Forbes is cheaper.

The post above is so damn true.

I know the odds of what I'm about to say happening is slim to none but if we would/could trade Mills that would help the guard log jam. I seriously doubt the team would trade Patty because he is one of if not the only leader of the team and definitely the heartbeat.

Patty is a better defender (which really isn't too hard) and ball handler over Forbes but Bryn is way cheaper and just as good if not better shooter

picnroll
04-06-2019, 01:00 PM
I think Forbes is a better ball handler than Neal, but yeah, I can see a similar career like Neal.

Better attitude, better teammate. Got to give him tons of credit for working hard to make himself a niche in the NBA.

DAF86
04-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Lonnie won't be in the rotation next year, rotation spots will already be completed with Murray's presence.

CGD
04-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Two words: Sell High

alpha_HaZE
04-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Forbes is a very useful cheap bench player that Pop was forced by the circumstances, injuries, nephew(and his mistake to pay Mills that money thus not having enough money for a better option). We need to see more from Forbes next season especially defensively and a little more consistency offensively if we are to keep him going forward.

This pretty much, we should expect him to improve over summer like he in the past. Also, due to circumstances Bryn has played over 2200 minutes this season. I think he is much better at 1500 to 1700 minutes, where he can still provide offence without being that much of a defensive liability.

Gagnrath
04-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Two words: Sell High

Honestly nselling high would be showcasing him in the proper role next year and getting a young forward prospect and a late first rounder at the trade deadline. That waybwe have his cheap contract most of next year, you always go into the trade talks selling Mills and when the other team doesn't like offer Forbes instead as younger and cheaper along with better able to run as a starting pg for coverage.

GreekSpursfan
04-07-2019, 02:00 PM
This pretty much, we should expect him to improve over summer like he in the past. Also, due to circumstances Bryn has played over 2200 minutes this season. I think he is much better at 1500 to 1700 minutes, where he can still provide offence without being that much of a defensive liability.

Agreed

weeks
04-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Lonnie won't be in the rotation next year, rotation spots will already be completed with Murray's presence.

Not so sure

Maddog
04-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Granted not the greatest competition, but another really good game.

DAF86
04-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Not so sure

Who is Pop putting in the doghouse of Patty, Belli, Forbes, White and Murray?

MaNu4Tres
04-07-2019, 10:44 PM

Wrong.

DAF86
04-07-2019, 10:56 PM
Wrong.

DPG21920
04-07-2019, 10:59 PM

IMO - you are sorely mistaken if you don’t see that SA is high on Lonnie and that they will find him minutes. Patty, Beli and Forbes could all lose minutes and we may see a trade of one of them for this exact reason.

DAF86
04-07-2019, 11:13 PM
IMO - you are sorely mistaken if you don’t see that SA is high on Lonnie and that they will find him minutes. Patty, Beli and Forbes could all lose minutes and we may see a trade of one of them for this exact reason.

I'm sure they're high on Lonnie, but Pop isn't one to quickly remove veterans out of rotation spots in favour of sophomores.

Lonnie will surely get more minutes than this season. I still don't see Pop giving him a permanent rotation spot.

White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge, Murray, Mills, Bellinelli, Bertans, Poeltl. That's your 10 men rotation for next year.

Lonnie will be the 11th man, getting a lot more burn than this year but still not making it as a regular feature, and Pop will be happy with leaving him in that role to buy time for Beli and Forbes' contracts to expire, so that Lonnie's rotation spot comes at the expense of no one's feelings getting hurt.

MaNu4Tres
04-08-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm sure they're high on Lonnie, but Pop isn't one to quickly remove veterans out of rotation spots in favour of sophomores.

Lonnie will surely get more minutes than this season. I still don't see Pop giving him a permanent rotation spot.

White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge, Murray, Mills, Bellinelli, Bertans, Poeltl. That's your 10 men rotation for next year.

Lonnie will be the 11th man, getting a lot more burn than this year but still not making it as a regular feature, and Pop will be happy with leaving him in that role to buy time for Beli and Forbes' contracts to expire, so that Lonnie's rotation spot comes at the expense of no one's feelings getting hurt.

That's your opinion. I think Spurs will be bright enough to realize standing pat in regards to the rotation is a pretty dumb decision. I would think they would want to find ways to improve next season, or maybe I'm crazy?

I think they also know what kind of special talents Dejounte and Lonnie are. If they can let Tony walk, be fine with trading Danny, when they know Manu is likely retiring because they are high on Dejounte and White, then Spurs will prioritize integrating Dejounte and Lonnie in the meat of the rotation at the expense of two of the Belinelli, Forbes, and Mills cluster.

I think Belinelli or Forbes gets traded this summer. Probably the former.

exstatic
04-08-2019, 09:33 AM
That's your opinion. I think Spurs will be bright enough to realize standing pat in regards to the rotation is a pretty dumb decision. I would think they would want to find ways to improve next season, or maybe I'm crazy?

I think they also know what kind of special talents Dejounte and Lonnie are. If they can let Tony walk, be fine with trading Danny, when they know Manu is likely retiring because they are high on Dejounte and White, then Spurs will prioritize integrating Dejounte and Lonnie in the meat of the rotation at the expense of two of the Belinelli, Forbes, and Mills cluster.

#this

Russ
04-08-2019, 10:00 AM
What never gets acknowledged by those who disparage Forbes is his quick release.

That may not mean much to fans, but I believe it matters a lot to PATFO (and other NBA personnel types).

That's why Steph Curry is who he is and Lonnie Walker, in spite of superior athleticism, is not.

So the Spurs have a log jam at the guard position, a good thing, an embarrassment of riches.

Normally, Mills might be the one to go but Spurs fans correctly point out that his leadership is needed.

Can Walker slide to the 3 spot? If so, that might be the answer. (Let's face it, he does look a little taller with that hair style.) How about Murray?

The Spurs' answer to the eternal wingman search might be right under their noses.

But, no matter what, I don't see Forbes going anywhere -- he's too good.

DAF86
04-08-2019, 11:51 AM

And what makes you think that: Them standing pat this season or Mills and Pau's retarded contract extensions?

DAF86
04-08-2019, 11:53 AM
#this

But if that doesn't happen, I'm sure you will be here trying to justify somehow PATFO's decision of standing pat.

Dverde
04-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Assisted Living Pop don’t got the balls to trade Patty or Forbes. He is going to bask in making these scrubs millionaires with strong core values. Forbes will be gone in another year when another team overspends on him. Patty is a lifer. I finally came to terms with this fact recently.

exstatic
04-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Assisted Living Pop don’t got the balls to trade Patty or Forbes. He is going to bask in making these scrubs millionaires with strong core values. Forbes will be gone in another year when another team overspends on him. Patty is a lifer. I finally came to terms with this fact recently.

In the current NBA, Forbes is very tradable, if they choose to go that route. Patty likely won't have value, other than as a ending contract, whenever that happens. Doesn't matter. Pop traded Danny and turfed Parker when he wouldn't agree to an 'emeritus' role. He's shown, at least for guards, that he will make way for the 'new'. It was supposed to be DJ and White this year, but wound up being Bryn and White, both of whom have done very well.

Drom John
04-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Pelton most improved, WARP compared to last year, but downgrading those with better previous years (in other words Conley and Rose types).

9.4 De'Aron Fox
6.3 Thomas Bryant
6.2 Nikola Vucevic
5.5 Jusuf Nurkic
4.5 Domantis Sabonis
4.5 D'Angelo Russell
4.3 Jake Layman
3.8 Pascal Siakam
3.7 Bryn Forbes

superbigtime
04-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Forbes is everything Roger Mason wasn't.

FkLA
04-09-2019, 12:30 PM
I could see Pop sending Forbes home to Detroit. Attach him to a 1st Rder to move up and get Detroit's 1st.

rjv
04-09-2019, 01:38 PM
but i thought forbes was just another example of the ineptitude of the spurs front office.

GusT15
04-09-2019, 01:44 PM
but i thought forbes was just another example of the ineptitude of the spurs front office.

Nope.Forbes is extremely cheap and he has been developed.He's useful.

The ineptitude of PATFO is that he has to start and play 30 mpg.Not that he's on the team.

rjv
04-09-2019, 01:52 PM

The ineptitude of PATFO is that he has to start and play 30 mpg.Not that he's on the team.

he wouldn't be starting or playing 30 mpg if not for the injury of murray (and the delayed development of walker-also due to injury).

GusT15
04-09-2019, 02:01 PM
he wouldn't be starting or playing 30 mpg if not for the injury of murray (and the delayed development of walker-also due to injury).

Well Murray got hurt in the preseason and Walker was a longshot to get meaningful minutes as a rookie despite his injury.

They had an entire season to make a replacement signing and patch the hole at SG.Forbes would be a microwave off bench at 15mpg and the team would be better.

That's why they are the Front Office.To deal with problems as they come up,not stay put when injuries happen and the team is malfunctioning cause of them.

exstatic
04-09-2019, 02:09 PM

So, PATFO is inept because DJ, LW IV, and White all were injured in training camp?

exstatic
04-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Well Murray got hurt in the preseason and Walker was a longshot to get meaningful minutes as a rookie despite his injury.

They had an entire season to make a replacement signing and patch the hole at SG.Forbes would be a microwave off bench at 15mpg and the team would be better.

That's why they are the Front Office.To deal with problems as they come up,not stay put when injuries happen and the team is malfunctioning cause of them.

You can't come to this team and play without a trainig camp under your belt. They also had a full roster of 15, until they waived Gasol. Even though injured, DJ counted as a roster spot.

GusT15
04-09-2019, 02:27 PM
So, PATFO is inept because DJ, LW IV, and White all were injured in training camp?

You can't come to this team and play without a trainig camp under your belt. They also had a full roster of 15, until they waived Gasol. Even though injured, DJ counted as a roster spot.

I didn't construct the roster without depth at SG and SF.PATFO did.

Injuries happen,they are part of the game.So when players get injured we just give up and blame our luck? No reaction whatsoever?

And since no player can get starting minutes while joining after camp then why even try? "This dude got hurt and that dude got hurt.Let's tank" Or underperform and fight for 6-8 instead of 3-5?

I expect more things from PATFO,if not in midseason trades then at least in preseason roster construction.

GreekSpursfan
04-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Injuries happen,they are part of the game.So when players get injured we just give up and blame our luck? No reaction whatsoever?

And since no player can get starting minutes while joining after camp then why even try? "This dude got hurt and that dude got hurt.Let's tank" Or underperform and fight for 6-8 instead of 3-5?

I expect more things from PATFO,if not in midseason trades then at least in preseason roster construction.

I'm almost 100% certain that PATFO didn't stand with their hands behind their back, i think they made their research and we all know that they never make a deal to get someone to come here and that deal isn't in their favour(nephew was the only exception and we all know why).
So far i see only two mistakes from them, Gasol and Mills and Mills as a pg of the bench isn't that big of a mistake but injuries happen and change your plans. It is clear that they kept Mills because he would never challenge Murray to be the starter and he was already content coming of the bench unlike some other options that they probably asked around before signing Mills so in light of that Mills isn't a bad move if your goal is to develop and increase the confidence of a certain young player you have.
You don't make trades just to make trades.

Seventyniner
04-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Forbes is a lot like Bonner. Quite useful in low to medium minutes as the 8th man, but overmatched against starters.

exstatic
04-09-2019, 03:28 PM

You have a very strange view of an organization that runs like a clock, and rarely gets out of it's lane.

It wasn't just an injury, or injuries. Our last three first rounders got wiped out in mere days. I think you're really minimizing that, and I challenge you to find an organization that could react as well as ours, turning a pumpkin into a legit NBA rotation player.

picnroll
04-09-2019, 03:34 PM

PATFO is inept because there transitioning from the loss of three HOF players, have had two draft pick below the twenties and zero picks below 15 in forever and still made the playoffs. Have a record for consecutive years making the playoffs. There are 29 other teams that wish there PATFO were that incompetent.

GusT15
04-09-2019, 05:09 PM
You have a very strange view of an organization that runs like a clock, and rarely gets out of it's lane.

It wasn't just an injury, or injuries. Our last three first rounders got wiped out in mere days. I think you're really minimizing that, and I challenge you to find an organization that could react as well as ours, turning a pumpkin into a legit NBA rotation player.

An organization that runs like a clock does not mean that it is immune to executive and managerial mistakes and bad calls.

Yes,the start of the season was brutal,one ACL,one MCL and one Plantar Fascia flare up are all terrible events to start the season.

Another terrible event to start the season is constructing a roster without a Small Forward.Gay,Bertans and Cunningham are small ball 4's.You know it and i know it.It was a gamble and a risky move that hurts the roster through out the season.Moving DDR who was an SG his whole career to SF cause a hole is there,was not the proper way to deal with the wing situation.

Forbes has done his best and actually overachieved this year.That doesn't mean that we didn't know that he is an undersized SG.We also knew we had another undersized SG in Patty Mills,who takes up a large part of the cap.Having these two players in the basic rotation and keeping one or the other on the floor at all times hurts our defense massively.

Just cause the Spurs are the model organization and gold standard of the NBA,doesn't mean that we,as fans,can't point out things and decisions that left the team vulnerable.

PATFO is inept because there transitioning from the loss of three HOF players, have had two draft pick below the twenties and zero picks below 15 in forever and still made the playoffs. Have a record for consecutive years making the playoffs. There are 29 other teams that wish there PATFO were that incompetent.

This Spurs team has 2 All Stars,good role players and the GOAT coach (or top3 at least).
If it was in doubt for you that we'd make the playoffs,it was never in doubt for me.
If you're satisfied with just making the playoffs 6-8 seeded,i'm not.
The roster needed tweaking,needed better planning depth wise and those things didn't happen.

PATFO has made mistakes IRRELEVANT to Timmy and Manu retiring,irrelevant to Nephew leaving,irrelevant to how high or low our draft picks were.

There are dudes on this forum that will curse and complain about PATFO all day long.
There are other dudes that will make excuses for PATFO all day long.

The truth is always somewhere in between.It's not black and white,there are gray areas.

Anyways,i've said all i've had to say,conversing with people that find nothing wrong with PATFO is as exhausting as conversing with people that can find nothing good with PATFO.
At some point the other dudes will barge in here and we will have another emoticon and "lol you suck" battle back and forth.
I'm out,peace.

exstatic
04-09-2019, 05:22 PM
An organization that runs like a clock does not mean that it is immune to executive and managerial mistakes and bad calls.

Yes,the start of the season was brutal,one ACL,one MCL and one Plantar Fascia flare up are all terrible events to start the season.

Another terrible event to start the season is constructing a roster without a Small Forward.Gay,Bertans and Cunningham are small ball 4's.You know it and i know it.It was a gamble and a risky move that hurts the roster through out the season.Moving DDR who was an SG his whole career to SF cause a hole is there,was not the proper way to deal with the wing situation.

Forbes has done his best and actually overachieved this year.That doesn't mean that we didn't know that he is an undersized SG.We also knew we had another undersized SG in Patty Mills,who takes up a large part of the cap.Having these two players in the basic rotation and keeping one or the other on the floor at all times hurts our defense massively.

Just cause the Spurs are the model organization and gold standard of the NBA,doesn't mean that we,as fans,can't point out things and decisions that left the team vulnerable.

This Spurs team has 2 All Stars,good role players and the GOAT coach (or top3 at least).
If it was in doubt for you that we'd make the playoffs,it was never in doubt for me.
If you're satisfied with just making the playoffs 6-8 seeded,i'm not.
The roster needed tweaking,needed better planning depth wise and those things didn't happen.

PATFO has made mistakes IRRELEVANT to Timmy and Manu retiring,irrelevant to Nephew leaving,irrelevant to how high or low our draft picks were.

There are dudes on this forum that will curse and complain about PATFO all day long.
There are other dudes that will make excuses for PATFO all day long.

The truth is always somewhere in between.It's not black and white,there are gray areas.

Anyways,i've said all i've had to say,conversing with people that find nothing wrong with PATFO is as exhausting as conversing with people that can find nothing good with PATFO.
At some point the other dudes will barge in here and we will have another emoticon and "lol you suck" battle back and forth.
I'm out,peace.

I'm willing to call out PATFO from time to time, when there's a clear fault. I don't consider a rash of injuries to their up and coming young guard cadre and Kawhi basically butt fucking the organization to be their fault. Your mileage may vary.