PDA

View Full Version : Any “expert” going to pick the Spurs against the Nuggets?

Dverde
04-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Mostly hearing Nuggets in 5 or 6 so far. Anybody in the media picking the Spurs?

spursistan
04-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Nuggets' shitty play in the last week of reg season will probably sway some pf them to pick the Spurs in 6 or 7..

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2019, 11:43 AM
The NBA "experts" on NBA radio are going with Nuggets in 6 or 7. A couple have said Nuggets in 5. I haven't heard any pick the Spurs.

Most feel like Pop will strategize in ways that will translate to a win or two for the Spurs, and there's a feeling that Denver has some vulnerabilities with their lack of playoff experience.

cool cat
04-11-2019, 11:55 AM
I don't think any "expert" has watched a Spurs or Nuggets game outside of when they played Lakers or Warriors.

SpurPadre
04-11-2019, 11:57 AM
The last game against them with Pop getting ejected was pretty disturbing for our prospects, tbh.

Russ
04-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Perception is reality to these NBA pundits.

Colin Cowherd (no font of NBA knowledge) picks the Nuggets but does admit Denver's vulnerability because:

1. Denver may have problems because they're a young, inexperienced (in the playoffs) team against the older wily veteran Spurs. (Of course, 3 of the 5 Spurs starters are basically 2d year players).

2. Denver is a great three-point shooting team but that could abandon them in the playoffs whereas the Spurs don't shoot threes but only rely on mid-range jumpers. (The Spurs, of course, finished the regular season as the NBA's number one three point shooting team.)

Dverde
04-11-2019, 12:43 PM
I don’t think anyone will go on a limb and pick the Spurs. Maybe Beadle or Skip, I can’t see anyone else. I’m hoping Barkley picks the Nuggets in a sweep, it would guarantee a long competitive series.

Arcadian
04-11-2019, 12:45 PM
If only Dejounte could return, we'd have... BATTLE OF THE MURRAYS

SpurPadre
04-11-2019, 12:49 PM
If only Dejounte could return, we'd have... BATTLE OF THE MURRAYS

And our best PG, tbh.

GreekSpursfan
04-11-2019, 12:50 PM
I don’t think anyone will go on a limb and pick the Spurs. Maybe Beadle or Skip, I can’t see anyone else. I’m hoping Barkley picks the Nuggets in a sweep, it would guarantee a long competitive series.

Barkley and Stephen A Smith are our chance if they pick the Nuggets. If that doesn't work and we lose in 4 or 5 then we're the definition of treadmill team and we definitely need to tank next season.

marinoman
04-11-2019, 12:55 PM
I don’t get why people give a shit about prediction bullshit, especially in the nfl. Pregames are mostly unwatchable to me, yea I really care what fired nba coaches think or nba players that have only watched a handful of games for each team. And that’s whether they pick my team or not

Dverde
04-11-2019, 01:02 PM
I don’t get why people give a shit about prediction bullshit, especially in the nfl. Pregames are mostly unwatchable to me, yea I really care what fired nba coaches think or nba players that have only watched a handful of games for each team. And that’s whether they pick my team or not

My favorite part is when an asshat says “this game 5 is a must win” when the series is tied 2 to 2. It’s almost as funny as a Spurstalker saying a random February game is a must win.

r0drig0lac
04-11-2019, 01:07 PM
I don't think any "expert" has watched a Spurs or Nuggets game outside of when they played Lakers or Warriors.

r0drig0lac
04-11-2019, 01:09 PM
I don’t get why people give a shit about prediction bullshit

this

Keepin' it real
04-11-2019, 01:09 PM
I don't think

I agree 100%.

Millennial_Messiah
04-11-2019, 01:55 PM
older wily veteran Spurs.

:lmao Post Big 3 era, this doesn't apply

Johnsyounger
04-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Broussard picked us over Den

Dverde
04-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Broussard picked us over Den

http://www.bigplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tumblr_m4uu7i1ILU1qk9z3lo1_500.jpg

Rummpd
04-11-2019, 02:26 PM
I used to write for the (lousy) defunct site hoopsworld.com and am a high school basketball official-with those bs credentials will pick Spurs in shocking 6! If I am right send me a Shiner Bock!

Roscoe P. Coltrane
04-11-2019, 02:41 PM
I used to write for the (lousy) defunct site hoopsworld.com and am a high school basketball official-with those bs credentials will pick Spurs in shocking 6! If I am right send me a Shiner Bock!I agree with you Spurs in 6

tmtcsc
04-11-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure what qualifies as an expert but Joel Meyers (NBA XMRAdio) and Jason Goff (?) like the Spurs in 6. Meyers gives Spurs the nod over OKC in 2nd round too.

We've seen all year the Spurs have the offensive capability to hang with anyone on most nights. However, they lack a winning pedigree & instinct to just fucking compete or get stops on defense when they absolutely need to. They don't have it and don't have leaders who display it consistently. For them to have any sort of chance, things have to really bounce their way (they make shots, Denver plays poorly or their inexperience gets them jittery).

Incredibly, the path to the WCF could be favorable for the Spurs if they buckle down and play defense. DeMar also has to know when not to force things. IF the Spurs emerge from the 1st round, Portland and OKC have enough flaws for the Spurs to have a chance.

cool cat
04-11-2019, 02:48 PM
The storyline from the "experts" so far

1. OKC has an "Dream/easy" path to the WCF
2. HOU 1st round might be tough before they play GS in 2nd round.
3. Nothing else is worth talking about in the Western conference.

cd98
04-11-2019, 02:52 PM
This is easily a 7 game series. Spurs will probably win in San Antonio and lose on the road. The Spurs lost an important game to the Knicks on the road. I have no confidence in any road game they play. Moreover, in years past the Spurs would’ve won this game on execution alone. But the players that mattered are gone. Spurs have talent, but not any special cohesion and will probably die on their team defense.

phxspurfan
04-11-2019, 02:56 PM
You don't pick the underdog in a 7v2 unless it's obvious (injury, ownage, intentional tanking like the Grizz did to us, etc). And in this case the Spurs are the true lower seed.

Denver in 5 or 6 most likely. If Spurs manage to steal one in Denver in game 1 or 2 it could be Denver in 6 or 7

phxspurfan
04-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Barkley and Stephen A Smith are our chance if they pick the Nuggets. If that doesn't work and we lose in 4 or 5 then we're the definition of treadmill team and we definitely need to tank next season.

IMO any team with LMA and DeMar as its core is a treadmill team. They're good, but there are only 5 top 5 players in the league, and the rest are treadmill players. Unfortunately this isn't the NCAA and the refs / media / Silver bias to help stars win rings is real. You not only have to beat the superstars hitting all their shots, but also everything that comes with them (ref manipulation, stars teammates allowed to set moving picks and play overly physical, lack of foul calls, ridiculous scheduling, quick whistles on underdog players/stars, etc.). It really is the WWE, packaged for the casual fan to enjoy going to games or bars to watch the guy whose name is on their jersey get 50 and a ring.

SpursBig3s
04-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Mostly hearing Nuggets in 5 or 6 so far. Anybody in the media picking the Spurs?

Broussard on The Herd picked Spurs in 6

Dverde
04-11-2019, 04:19 PM
More “expert” opinions here...

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/01d86pnk3b0v-spurs-vs-nuggets-series-expert-predictions-for-2019-nba-playoffs

Brazil
04-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Spurs in 3 tbh

TimmyBuckets
04-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Nuggets in 2 tbh

ZeusWillJudge
04-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Spurs in 3 tbh

LMAO! Because they're the SPURS, dammit! :lol

If you look at the numbers, the Spurs' biggest Achilles' Heel is defense on the road. The Nuggets score a LOT more points at home. A lot of teams do, but the Nuggets have the biggest differential of home/away points in the league this season. And the Spurs give up a lot more points on the road vs. at home. The thing is, that's probably more correctable than guys who can't hit shots in an opponent's gym.

Brazil
04-12-2019, 07:13 AM
LMAO! Because they're the SPURS, dammit! :lol

If you look at the numbers, the Spurs' biggest Achilles' Heel is defense on the road. The Nuggets score a LOT more points at home. A lot of teams do, but the Nuggets have the biggest differential of home/away points in the league this season. And the Spurs give up a lot more points on the road vs. at home. The thing is, that's probably more correctable than guys who can't hit shots in an opponent's gym.

you are right... Spurs in 3,5 tbh..

ElNono
04-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Expert

exstatic
04-12-2019, 08:56 AM
You don't pick the underdog in a 7v2 unless it's obvious (injury, ownage, intentional tanking like the Grizz did to us, etc). And in this case the Spurs are the true lower seed.

Denver in 5 or 6 most likely. If Spurs manage to steal one in Denver in game 1 or 2 it could be Denver in 6 or 7

The last time we were a 2 seed, the 7 seed, Memphis was 18 games behind us. We finished 6 games behind Denver. It's not as cut and dried as you would make it. Because of the bunched up standings this year, none of the top half seeds better fall asleep. There is usually one upset in the first round, but if ever there were a year for more than one, it would be this year. GS, of course, will advance, but the other 7 teams are separated by 6 total games. Every other series is in play.

Dverde
04-12-2019, 09:12 AM
The “experts” are mandated to pick one or more upsets in the first round. I think most are limping in with OKC upset of Portland. I remember some of these clowns picked Nuggets with Iverson to beat the Spurs. Nuggets are ripe for an upset. Spurs probably still going to lose. I’d rather play them instead of GSW, Rox, Utah. To say the Spurs have a punchers chance is an understatement. Nuggs are unproven, little playoff experience including their coach. They got the altitude, but we have a malfunctioning A/C.

Coach X
04-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Media "experts" said Spurs would win 37 to 43 games in the RS. What was the over/under in Vegas for Spurs in RS?

I'm not too optimistic about Spurs beating Denver. The defense hasn't been consistent enough along the season. Anyways, the Nuggets are far from being the actual second best team in the West and their lack of experience can be key in a long series.
The starting five with Poetl next to Aldridge matches well with Milsaap and Jokic. White is healthy and ready so the best defensive version of our team is available.

TDomination
04-12-2019, 11:15 AM
The last time we were a 2 seed, the 7 seed, Memphis was 18 games behind us. We finished 6 games behind Denver. It's not as cut and dried as you would make it. Because of the bunched up standings this year, none of the top half seeds better fall asleep. There is usually one upset in the first round, but if ever there were a year for more than one, it would be this year. GS, of course, will advance, but the other 7 teams are separated by 6 total games. Every other series is in play.

I had to research that myself but man you're right. Thats crazy. Memphis was 43-39. Shows how competitive we are this year. We are 5 games better but still at 7th seed. And only 6 games behind Nuggets. Thats nuts.

RC_Drunkford
04-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Dennis Scott picked the Spurs to make the WCF

Proxy
04-12-2019, 02:21 PM
what's Vegas saying?

Seventyniner
04-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Dennis Scott picked the Spurs to make the WCF

One would think that if the Spurs beat the Nuggets, they would be favored in the 2nd round. That prediction seemed really bold at first, but not so much after a bit of thought.

playbonner15
04-12-2019, 09:44 PM
The “experts” are mandated to pick one or more upsets in the first round. I think most are limping in with OKC upset of Portland. I remember some of these clowns picked Nuggets with Iverson to beat the Spurs. Nuggets are ripe for an upset. Spurs probably still going to lose. I’d rather play them instead of GSW, Rox, Utah. To say the Spurs have a punchers chance is an understatement. Nuggs are unproven, little playoff experience including their coach. They got the altitude, but we have a malfunctioning A/C.
and a bat problem to boot

TheGreatYacht
04-12-2019, 11:18 PM
I, an expert, am not picking the Spurs.

SouthTexasRancher
04-13-2019, 05:36 AM
Hell, I'll go out on a limb and pick the Spurs in 6. If we lose this series it'll be time to really look hard at major trades this summer.

Rusty
04-13-2019, 06:36 AM
If Derozen has the ball in the last 3 minutes then this series won’t be long

Spurtacular
04-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Could be a war of contrition. Nuggets have been fading a bit and the Spurs suck on the road.

spursistan
04-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Damn only Tim Mcmahon picks us among ESPN's "experts" :lol

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26500537/expert-predictions-first-round-2019-nba-playoffs

TimDunkem
04-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Nugs in 6. Spurs can't win on the road and will probably come out flat at home in at least one game.