PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will pick 19th in draft

R. DeMurre
04-13-2019, 11:19 AM
The Indiana Pacers (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/ind/indiana-pacers) won a three-way tie with the San Antonio Spurs (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) and LA Clippers (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/lac/la-clippers) for the 18th pick, and the Spurs then won the 19th pick. The Clippers' pick (now No. 20) goes to the Celtics.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26509079/silver-again-mulls-nba-midseason-tournament

wildbill2u
04-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Not great but the FO and Pop can possibly find another good prospect at that spot as they have done in the past. I'm optimistic that a SF may fall to us

R. DeMurre
04-13-2019, 11:30 AM
So, the 19th, 29th, and 49th picks.

CGD
04-13-2019, 11:32 AM
LMA+DJ+Forbes+19
for one year to sell AD

Sooner or later the spurs are going to have to make a call which two of DJ, White, and Lonnie to keep, so why not gamble on the better offense prospect between DJ and Lonnie now?

Blackhaus
04-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Puke^^^^^^^

Blackhaus
04-13-2019, 11:42 AM
You want that diva ass unabrow.....no way and to give an all star PF that actually stays healthy, a youny pg and a 1st for someone that won’t want to be in SA long term.

Spurtacular
04-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Holding pattern

Genovaswitness
04-13-2019, 11:56 AM
any chance we get rui hachimura

CGD
04-13-2019, 12:04 PM
You want that diva ass unabrow.....no way and to give an all star PF that actually stays healthy, a youny pg and a 1st for someone that won’t want to be in SA long term.

Yeah, I’d take a gamble on selling AD on SA over a year to keeping LMA. There is a strong chance he’s gone after next summer too.

Id hate to give up Murray, but if there is a chance to sell AD in the hopes he does a Paul George I think it’s worth the gamble. The emergence of White and flashes from Lonnie also ease the hit. It’s also smart to sell high on Byrn, can’t imagine his stock will ever be higher.

RD2191
04-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Garbage

Chinook
04-13-2019, 12:12 PM

Yeah. He's older and wasn't the defensive player his teammate Clarke was. There's a good chance he falls past the lottery, but you never know. Rui isn't on Brandon's level in terms of sheer effectiveness, but his greater youth and better shooting prospects make him a pretty typical teens-pick guy. I would be cool with letting this guy learn from LMA for a couple of years. Still seems to have potential.

sasaint
04-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I’d take a gamble on selling AD on SA over a year to keeping LMA. There is a strong chance he’s gone after next summer too.

Id hate to give up Murray, but if there is a chance to sell AD in the hopes he does a Paul George I think it’s worth the gamble. The emergence of White and flashes from Lonnie also ease the hit. It’s also smart to sell high on Byrn, can’t imagine his stock will ever be higher.

The only quibble I have is that I think Bryn may well be better next season. He will have this season under his belt, but he will return to a bench role @ +/- 25 minutes per game. But the rest I agree with.

Plus, AD would be a much better fit with Poodle.

sasaint
04-13-2019, 12:20 PM

I believe we would have to move up. I don't expect him to go as low as 19, based on the mocks I have seen. If we make any move up, I hope it is for Deandre Hunter. However, I expect him to go no lower than 10, so moving up for him might be beyond Pop's willingness to move certain players.

BatManu20
04-13-2019, 12:26 PM

Extremely unlikely. He’ll be long gone by 19.

BatManu20
04-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Sucks. Had a feeling this would happen when Indy lost to the Nets in their 2nd to last game. Didn’t think we’d win the coin-toss two years in a row.

Keepin' it real
04-13-2019, 12:36 PM
So, the 19th, 29th, and 49th picks.

Paging Herman Cain.

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2011/10/12/9a2a43d8-a643-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/cain_999_111012.jpg

emanueldavidginobili
04-13-2019, 01:14 PM
I’ll take 19th besides last year it’s the lowest pick we’ve had since drafting TD in 97

SpurPadre
04-13-2019, 01:35 PM
I hope Bol Bol falls to us. People point out his weight being too light for an NBA big, but The Admiral weighed the same back when Centers were fucking Centers, not the pussies they have now sitting at the perimeter, jacking shots like they were Curry, tbh.

MoSpur02
04-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Any chance of packaging those two first round picks to move up some spots?

SpurPadre
04-13-2019, 02:05 PM

The best we could possibly get out of that is to move up a spot with Indiana or maybe a second spot up. I'd rather hold on to that Toronto pick and get Thybulle, who many would consider a reach at 29th but his defense is too enticing for this Spurs team to pass up at that pick, tbh.

r0drig0lac
04-13-2019, 02:49 PM

19th pick? lol no

dbestpro
04-13-2019, 04:04 PM
Wilkes of UCLA could be a good pick with the Toronto pick for SF.

ginobilized
04-13-2019, 04:08 PM
LMA+DJ+Forbes+19
for one year to sell AD

Sooner or later the spurs are going to have to make a call which two of DJ, White, and Lonnie to keep, so why not gamble on the better offense prospect between DJ and Lonnie now?

No way AD wants to come to SA. Now that the Pelicans and Lakers have cleaned house, they will find a way to make that deal happen. Magic created the problems for NO.

cd021
04-13-2019, 04:38 PM
The only quibble I have is that I think Bryn may well be better next season. He will have this season under his belt, but he will return to a bench role @ +/- 25 minutes per game. But the rest I agree with.

I don't see Forbes having nearly as big of a role. White, Murray, DeRozan are all going to eat up significant at guard/wing. Add in Mills and Belinelli and it's hard to see him playing more than spot minutes.

cd021
04-13-2019, 04:42 PM
19th pick? lol no
He's dropped, only NBA draft net has him inside of the top 11. The other big draft sites have him going 13, 19, 14, 16, 19 and 11.

It's not inconceivable tbh.

noles1983
04-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Paging Herman Cain.

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2011/10/12/9a2a43d8-a643-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/cain_999_111012.jpg

Ahhhhhh shucky ducky

MoSpur02
04-13-2019, 04:51 PM
The best we could possibly get out of that is to move up a spot with Indiana or maybe a second spot up. I'd rather hold on to that Toronto pick and get Thybulle, who many would consider a reach at 29th but his defense is too enticing for this Spurs team to pass up at that pick, tbh.

Thybulle would be a great pickup.

JPB
04-13-2019, 04:59 PM
DJ, D-White, Lonnie, Poodle, 19th, 29th, no albatroses, Ime or Messina ready to take the torch, Spurs should be competitive for a while still...

r0drig0lac
04-13-2019, 05:12 PM
He's dropped, only NBA draft net has him inside of the top 11. The other big draft sites have him going 13, 19, 14, 16, 19 and 11.

It's not inconceivable tbh.

interesting, I still can not believe he will be at the table after the 8th pick

Thomas82
04-13-2019, 05:26 PM
I hope we go big with this pick.

cd021
04-13-2019, 05:33 PM
interesting, I still can not believe he will be at the table after the 8th pick

Certainly seems that way at the moment. Players like Doumboya have jumped into the lottery contention with others jumping into the late teens. Rui seems to be sliding for some reason.

cd021
04-13-2019, 05:35 PM

https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/12/nba-mock-draft-big-board-grant-williams-mfiondu-kabengele/

He seems to be projecting by most mocks to go between 24-30, so he may not even be there at 29. I wouldn't take him at 19 but at 29, that's a great value.

DavidTheGoliath
04-13-2019, 05:38 PM
I hope Bol Bol falls to us. People point out his weight being too light for an NBA big, but The Admiral weighed the same back when Centers were fucking Centers, not the pussies they have now sitting at the perimeter, jacking shots like they were Curry, tbh.
What? I thought Bol is a 3 pt chucking center pussy himself?

SpurPadre
04-13-2019, 05:45 PM
What? I thought Bol is a 3 pt chucking center pussy himself?

My point is that fits in today's NBA but people keep pointing at his weight as being a barrier. A 235 pound Center is NOT a problem the way bigs play in today's NBA and it certainly wasn't a problem for Da Admiral back when Centers dominated and punished people down low.

SpurPadre
04-13-2019, 05:48 PM
https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/12/nba-mock-draft-big-board-grant-williams-mfiondu-kabengele/

He seems to be projecting by most mocks to go between 24-30, so he may not even be there at 29. I wouldn't take him at 19 but at 29, that's a great value.

I've seen some mocks have him at 2nd round but also as high as 22nd. If he is there for us at 29, it would have to be a no-brainer for Pop.

sasaint
04-13-2019, 05:49 PM
I don't see Forbes having nearly as big of a role. White, Murray, DeRozan are all going to eat up significant at guard/wing. Add in Mills and Belinelli and it's hard to see him playing more than spot minutes.

I find it hard to believe that Pop will demote a starter (even one by necessity) to spot minutes. I see him getting more minutes than Marco and possibly Mills. Tbh, I don't expect the whole group to last beyond the draft. One or two of our backcourt guys will be gone - if not around the draft, before the start of the regular season. Pop obviously likes Forbes, he is improving, and he is very cheap.

Seventyniner
04-13-2019, 06:13 PM
I want the Spurs to keep #29, they draft damn well in the late first. Another Dejounte or Derrick level impact player will be pretty important two years from now.

DavidTheGoliath
04-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Idk where to post this but i'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/xaiYJpo2Gc8

ZeusWillJudge
04-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Oh good! A nice fresh thread to discuss the exact same things that have been discussed to death elsewhere. I guess the OP didn't know about that.

Wait... hasn't the OP been posting in those other threads that discuss the exact same things?

cd021
04-13-2019, 10:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that Pop will demote a starter (even one by necessity) to spot minutes. I see him getting more minutes than Marco and possibly Mills. Tbh, I don't expect the whole group to last beyond the draft. One or two of our backcourt guys will be gone - if not around the draft, before the start of the regular season. Pop obviously likes Forbes, he is improving, and he is very cheap.

I expect Murray to play around 28 mpg, White may end up playing the same off the bench or start and play more. DeRozan will play around 33 mpg at the 3.

If Murray, White, DDR, LMA, and Jakob is the SL (I have serious doubts about that lineup, but still) the bench may end being Mills, Beli, Bertans and Gay. Walker may have a chance to usurp Beli sometime next season but I think Mills is pretty entrenched as the backup PG.

Forbes isn't going to be taking minutes from Bertans or Gay so I think Forbes is the odd man unless an unforeseen trade of Mills.

I think attempting to move Forbes at the draft makes plenty of sense because of the log jam at guard next season.

CGD
04-13-2019, 10:47 PM

I’ve been impressed with Forbes this year, and I feel he’d be primed to take over for Mills next season (but alas). It’s why I think he’d be more enticing than a late first, but if they want 29 instead or a future 1st that’d work too.

sasaint
04-13-2019, 10:52 PM
I expect Murray to play around 28 mpg, White may end up playing the same off the bench or start and play more. DeRozan will play around 33 mpg at the 3.

If Murray, White, DDR, LMA, and Jakob is the SL (I have serious doubts about that lineup, but still) the bench may end being Mills, Beli, Bertans and Gay. Walker may have a chance to usurp Beli sometime next season but I think Mills is pretty entrenched as the backup PG.

Forbes isn't going to be taking minutes from Bertans or Gay so I think Forbes is the odd man unless an unforeseen trade of Mills.

I think attempting to move Forbes at the draft makes plenty of sense because of the log jam at guard next season.

Forbes and Mills are at the core of this discussion, it seems. I have said for 2 years that Patty was not going anywhere and he was becoming de facto team leader. But if it comes down to an expensive Mills or Pop's newest creation, an inexpensive Bryn, I could see Patty being the odd man out. He may still be on the team, but I hope either Forbes or Mills is gone. I would prefer that be Mills, and I think Pop will lean that way in the end.

All of the speculation on ST could be absolutely moot if LMA and/or Dumbmar wants a trade...

sasaint
04-13-2019, 11:02 PM
I’ve been impressed with Forbes this year, and I feel he’d be primed to take over for Mills next season (but alas). It’s why I think he’d be more enticing than a late first, but if they want 29 instead or a future 1st that’d work too.

Pop may well feel like Bryn is also sufficiently imbued with Spurs culture to dispense with Patty. Marco, Davis and even LMA and Rudy have a lot of Spurs culture instilled in them. The greater issue is leadership. Unfortunately, we don't have any of those. Murray has shown some impressive leadership instincts/moxy, but I am not convinced he has shown the maturity or judgment to assume the role yet.

cd021
04-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Forbes and Mills are at the core of this discussion, it seems. I have said for 2 years that Patty was not going anywhere and he was becoming de facto team leader. But if it comes down to an expensive Mills or Pop's newest creation, an inexpensive Bryn, I could see Patty being the odd man out. He may still be on the team, but I hope either Forbes or Mills is gone. I would prefer that be Mills, and I think Pop will lean that way in the end.

All of the speculation on ST could be absolutely moot if LMA and/or Dumbmar wants a trade...

Mills may be on the odd man out after next season but probably not next season, he is still productive so I don't see Forbes usurping his role.

It makes more sense to try and trade him; Forbes cheap deal makes him more tradeable and plus it's hard to envision him having a big role going forward with White, Murray, DeRozan and Walker all on the team

TDMVPDPOY
04-14-2019, 01:12 AM
Mills may be on the odd man out after next season but probably not next season, he is still productive so I don't see Forbes usurping his role.

It makes more sense to try and trade him; Forbes cheap deal makes him more tradeable and plus it's hard to envision him having a big role going forward with White, Murray, DeRozan and Walker all on the team

nobody is touching mills contract, unless its expiring...

how much more youth movement is the spurs going to do?

i thought poodle, white, walker, murray and maybe forbes is a good core to keep around?

SURGE
04-14-2019, 01:27 AM
Really hope we can draft Jaylen Hands or Kevin Porter JR

cd021
04-14-2019, 01:38 AM
nobody is touching mills contract, unless its expiring...

how much more youth movement is the spurs going to do?

i thought poodle, white, walker, murray and maybe forbes is a good core to keep around?

It's not like Mills is an albatross; if the spur motivated to move him then I think they still could. Forbes is the easier of the two to move, for a number of reasons. Jakob, White, Walker, and Murray is a fine core plus the 19th and 29th picks. Forbes may not be a part of the future, however.

tim_duncan_fan
04-14-2019, 02:29 AM
Idk where to post this but i'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/xaiYJpo2Gc8

The culture and the ability to spot hidden potential are all we have.

We're done if we ever lose either one.

ceperez
04-14-2019, 08:10 AM

Patty is the glue guy in the organization, he's a bench player that'll be with the Spurs for life.

ceperez
04-14-2019, 08:12 AM
It's not like Mills is an albatross; if the spur motivated to move him then I think they still could. Forbes is the easier of the two to move, for a number of reasons. Jakob, White, Walker, and Murray is a fine core plus the 19th and 29th picks. Forbes may not be a part of the future, however.

I think you undersell Forbes. The thing about Forbes is, despite complete lack of talent, continues to improve his game. There isn't a lot of players that do this in the NBA.

sasaint
04-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Patty is the glue guy in the organization, he's a bench player that'll be with the Spurs for life.

I have been preaching that for 2 years, but I am having second thoughts. If Pop had to choose between Forbes and Mills... I think it has become more of a toss-up.

In a few weeks, we should know.

picnroll
04-14-2019, 10:01 AM
Forbes has improved every year. Worked hard every summer to improve skills, improve his body. Next year will be the same. He’s not going anywhere short of being packaged for a Leonard type deal. Mills has negative trade value so he’s very unlikely to go anywhere either.

Mugen
04-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Forbes won't be traded tbh. But Beli should be shipped out tbh. Lonnie needs to get those minutes next year.

bluebellmaniac
04-14-2019, 10:25 AM

We need a culture guy like Patty on the roster and in that locker room and on that practice floor. It isn't too much salary, because without that influence, without that experience of what makes a successful team, the likelihood of this team having made 22 straight years of playoffs would have been miniscule. He's a bargain and indispensable. We need him for about 2 more years.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
04-14-2019, 10:33 AM
LMA+DJ+Forbes+19
for one year to sell AD

Sooner or later the spurs are going to have to make a call which two of DJ, White, and Lonnie to keep, so why not gamble on the better offense prospect between DJ and Lonnie now?AD is way overrated, he's had a few decent teams and couldn't do anything with them. I would take Randle over him.

cd021
04-14-2019, 11:16 AM
I think you undersell Forbes. The thing about Forbes is, despite complete lack of talent, continues to improve his game. There isn't a lot of players that do this in the NBA.

I have absolutely undersold Forbes but that doesn't mean that I am wrong about him not playing nearly as much next year. Had White not gotten injured when he did, Forbes may have take longer to get to this point- maybe not even this place. Sort of similar to Danny Green emerging after Manu got injured in 2011.

He is a good NBA player but White, Murray and DeRozan are better and will get the bulk of the perimeter minutes plus Poeltl starting means fewer minutes to around ( Gay starting means Bertans is the backup 4, instead they usually play together with Mills, Beli and Poeltl in bench units).

I just think he's going to be having to compete for much fewer minutes with Beli and Walker. Using his positive value to try and move up with either or both pick's seems like a good idea to me.

FkLA
04-14-2019, 11:17 AM
LMA+DJ+Forbes+19
for one year to sell AD

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/incredulous.gif

Truth4sale$
04-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Really hope Nassir little falls #19

R. DeMurre
04-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Oh good! A nice fresh thread to discuss the exact same things that have been discussed to death elsewhere. I guess the OP didn't know about that.

Wait... hasn't the OP been posting in those other threads that discuss the exact same things?

:lolIt's hilarious how sensitive you are, Zeus/oops, Poseidon statue. Is Ganymedes away, making you grumpy? Why don't you remind everyone here for the millionth time that you've been watching Thybulle for two years and considered him a possibility for the Spurs long before anyone else did, but now that there's talk of him elsewhere you're no longer interested. That would be a great point to hammer home yet again.

Your schtick is silly, and, uh, you have been judged unworthy, etc., etc., and you picked the wrong statue to represent your Greek God :lol and you didn't even realize that your chosen persona essentially is the pro-pederasty origin myth for Western Civ... :toast

benefactor
04-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Ahhhhhh shucky ducky
He jacked that phrase from an old school comedian from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABr_QffEX9g

cd021
04-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Forbes has improved every year. Worked hard every summer to improve skills, improve his body. Next year will be the same. He’s not going anywhere short of being packaged for a Leonard type deal. Mills has negative trade value so he’s very unlikely to go anywhere either.

Mills is overpaid but I don't buy that he has negative value. If would be one thing if he was playing poorly this season but he shot 40% on 5 3s a game.

Also his contract jumps only about $830,000 in year 3 and in year 4 while the salary cap jumps $8 million and $10 million in those two years.

Basically the cap spike should more than off set any decline in his play, while his contract will probably look better when the cap in $118 million and he is making $14 million.

picnroll
04-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Mills is overpaid but I don't buy that he has negative value. If would be one thing if he was playing poorly this season but he shot 40% on 5 3s a game.

Also his contract jumps only about $830,000 in year 3 and in year 4 while the salary cap jumps $8 million and $10 million in those two years.

Basically the cap spike should more than off set any decline in his play, while his contract will probably look better when the cap in $118 million and he is making $14 million.

IMO Mills more than gives up on the constantly bad defensive end what he inconsistently brings on the offensive end. There are a number of players teams could pick up in FA or trades that would be better and cost less than A poor and fading Mills.

JeffDuncan
04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
I think you undersell Forbes. The thing about Forbes is, despite complete lack of talent, ...

Oh, c'mon, let's be at least a little bit honest, and fair. Whatever else he may struggle with, that sucker can shoot. Forbes absolutely has NBA shooting talent. People, including me, criticize him for other things, especially defense, but it needs to be admitted Forbes does have some NBA talent.

cd021
04-14-2019, 01:22 PM
IMO Mills more than gives up on the constantly bad defensive end what he inconsistently brings on the offensive end. There are a number of players teams could pick up in FA or trades that would be better and cost less than A poor and fading Mills.

If that's the case, then isn't Forbes and Beli in the same boat in terms of defense being a negative? For the record, I tend to be more skeptical on labeling players as net negatives.

I think above average offensive players/below average defender's are still valuable in an increasingly offensive league. Mills and Beli are both key cogs on one of the best bench units in the league despite their issues on the other end of the floor.

Also don't agree with you that Mills is fading, his numbers were pretty close to his Spurs career averages and shot the hell out of the ball while playing in every game. He's been a bench player for his entire career, they tend to fade later due to fewer minutes played.

cd021
04-14-2019, 01:25 PM
Oh, c'mon, let's be at least a little bit honest, and fair. Whatever else he may struggle with, that sucker can shoot. Forbes absolutely has NBA shooting talent. People, including me, criticize him for other things, especially defense, but it needs to be admitted Forbes does have some NBA talent.

I think it is fair to call Forbes above average, offensively. Spot-ups, pull-ups, floaters, and drives to the rim, he is capable of doing all of those things effectively

picnroll
04-14-2019, 01:37 PM
If that's the case, then isn't Forbes and Beli in the same boat in terms of defense being a negative? For the record, I tend to be more skeptical on labeling players as net negatives.

I think above average offensive players/below average defender's are still valuable in an increasingly offensive league. Mills and Beli are both key cogs on one of the best bench units in the league despite their issues on the other end of the floor.

Also don't agree with you that Mills is fading, his numbers were pretty close to his Spurs career averages and shot the hell out of the ball while playing in every game. He's been a bench player for his entire career, they tend to fade later due to fewer minutes played.

IMO Mills is declining defensively and offensively he is less capable going to the basket and mid-range. Even if the were equivalent there is a massive difference in cost for production and Forbes is on the upswing and has not reached his maximum potential years yet. Maybe not the popular opinion but while neither is a stellar defender I think Forbes is considerably better and on offense has more versatility and still room for improvement. He is a FAR more versatile trade asset and I think Mills would require a sweetener to dump or might get someone of equal negative value at a different position and different skill sets. All moot, Mills is Pop’s glue boy and I don’t believe he’s going anywhere.

rascal
04-14-2019, 06:45 PM

None

cd021
04-14-2019, 07:03 PM
IMO Mills is declining defensively and offensively he is less capable going to the basket and mid-range. Even if the were equivalent there is a massive difference in cost for production and Forbes is on the upswing and has not reached his maximum potential years yet. Maybe not the popular opinion but while neither is a stellar defender I think Forbes is considerably better and on offense has more versatility and still room for improvement. He is a FAR more versatile trade asset and I think Mills would require a sweetener to dump or might get someone of equal negative value at a different position and different skill sets. All moot, Mills is Pop’s glue boy and I don’t believe he’s going anywhere.

Mills' advanced stats have declined, somewhat, but his finishing percentage at the rim has actually been excellent (68.5%). his percentage on shots from 4-23 feet has dropped off though but only account for 25% of his shots. His tru-shooting % is actually still above average at 57% and only 1.5 % behind Forbes'.

Overall, he is taking more of his shots as 3's ( a career-high 61% of his shots are 3's) while also shooting 40%, that is obviously valuable and something that he should continue to do- take most of his shots from 3 and fewer mid rangers as he gets older.

I don't think we are saying much different things. We both agree that Forbes has better trade value and will continue to get better. I also do think that Mills will play out his contract with the Spurs but we diverge on whether Forbes has a future with this team. I think he is good but I think that there is a log jam that will prevent him from getting decent minutes so it's worth considering trading him.

picnroll
04-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Mills' advanced stats have declined, somewhat, but his finishing percentage at the rim has actually been excellent (68.5%). his percentage on shots from 4-23 feet has dropped off though but only account for 25% of his shots. His tru-shooting % is actually still above average at 57% and only 1.5 % behind Forbes'.

Overall, he is taking more of his shots as 3's ( a career-high 61% of his shots are 3's) while also shooting 40%, that is obviously valuable and something that he should continue to do- take most of his shots from 3 and fewer mid rangers as he gets older.

I don't think we are saying much different things. We both agree that Forbes has better trade value and will continue to get better. I also do think that Mills will play out his contract with the Spurs but we diverge on whether Forbes has a future with this team. I think he is good but I think that there is a log jam that will prevent him from getting decent minutes so it's worth considering trading him.
Forbes contract is up in 20-21. Mills and Derozan’s contracts are up in 21-22. Hopefully they don’t resign Mills. Hopefully Murray, White and Walker are good enough that they don’t commit to a long term, high salary Derozan. Keeping Forbes depends mostly on progress he shows, what kind of salary he commands and possibly, but imo unlikely, whether he gets package for a player or draft pick.

BackHome
04-14-2019, 08:28 PM
I think this draft will impact those players as I think Tyler Herro/Alexander are better all around players then Mills and Forbes.

CGD
04-14-2019, 10:33 PM
None

I don’t know.

The narrative around this draft is very similar to the Leonard/Klay draft (It’s weak, etc.) To my mind it’s the type of draft where GMs actually earn their money by doing their homework. Outside of whoever gets Zion, there is a lot of room for the pertetually crappy front offices to wiff at the top of the draft.

I don’t rule out a trade in this draft if there is a player the Spurs like that’s slipped past 9 but won’t last past 14.

Degoat
04-14-2019, 10:43 PM
I don’t know.

The narrative around this draft is very similar to the Leonard/Klay draft (It’s weak, etc.) To my mind it’s the type of draft where GMs actually earn their money by doing their homework. Outside of whoever gets Zion, there is a lot of room for the pertetually crappy front offices to wiff at the top of the draft.

I don’t rule out a trade in this draft if there is a player the Spurs like that’s slipped past 9 but won’t last past 14.

I totally agree, I remember the draft experts on ESPN saying how the kawhi/Klay draft was one of the weakest drafts in years and if you look back there was a ton of good players taken in that draft.

lefty20
04-15-2019, 02:04 AM
I hope we go big with this pick.

We'll go with the best character available, then see what we can do about getting a basketball game in there somewhere.

cd021
04-15-2019, 03:52 AM
Forbes contract is up in 20-21. Mills and Derozan’s contracts are up in 21-22. Hopefully they don’t resign Mills. Hopefully Murray, White and Walker are good enough that they don’t commit to a long term, high salary Derozan. Keeping Forbes depends mostly on progress he shows, what kind of salary he commands and possibly, but imo unlikely, whether he gets package for a player or draft pick.

Your years are off;
Forbes is under contract until after next season, not 20-21.
Mill's expires in 20-21. DeRozan has an out after next season and will likely opt out and either re-sign or sign elsewhere to a long term deal.

Alrdridge and Bertans, just like Forbes and DDR will be free agents in the summer of 2020, not 2021, plus Murray who will be an RFA. That is going to be a pivotal off season for sure.

I think Mills will probably not be retained, DeRozan almost certainly will but it will be a matter of years.

3 years for around what he opted out of ($27) is what I fear PATFO may offer but at least he will only be 32 by the end of the deal.

If the Spurs hold onto Forbes, it is interesting to see how that plays out. There is a chance that he continues to start and play around 20 mpg with White being the backup 2 and playing a lot off the bench but that means both Beli and Walker would be on the outside of the rotation.

He could also not play a lot and have his value suppressed in FA.

Thomas82
04-15-2019, 07:31 AM
We'll go with the best character available, then see what we can do about getting a basketball game in there somewhere.

That sounds about right.

superbigtime
04-15-2019, 07:35 AM
Everyone talking about shipping Forbes ... that is just foolish. He's an asset and is getting better and will continue to. He isn't bball dumb. He's healthy. He ain't gonna 'take his talents elsewhere.' He is the Spurs' to keep. I don't see them trading a home grown undrafted overachiever, although some may say that is an impetus to trade. Mills isn't going anywhere like it or not. Why not Lonnie. Or Bertans even.

jjktkk
04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
I don’t know.

I like this idea. The Spurs have the ammo to trade up.

dbestpro
04-15-2019, 07:52 AM
The Spurs need to keep their four guards of the future for as long as they can. They will be able to find their forwards as DDR and LMA age out. Mills and Beli will no longer be on the team within 2 years and could see movement at the trade deadline of next year, should all 4 future guards flourish.

picnroll
04-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Your years are off;
Mill's expires in 20-21. DeRozan has an out after next season and will likely opt out and either re-sign or sign elsewhere to a long term deal.

Alrdridge and Bertans, just like Forbes and DDR will be free agents in the summer of 2020, not 2021, plus Murray who will be an RFA. That is going to be a pivotal off season for sure.

I think Mills will probably not be retained, DeRozan almost certainly will but it will be a matter of years.

3 years for around what he opted out of ($27) is what I fear PATFO may offer but at least he will only be 32 by the end of the deal.

If the Spurs hold onto Forbes, it is interesting to see how that plays out. There is a chance that he continues to start and play around 20 mpg with White being the backup 2 and playing a lot off the bench but that means both Beli and Walker would be on the outside of the rotation.

Yes, I had some years wrong.
Looking at the unrestricted free agents available in 2020 Forbes could be a relatively expensive signing, particular if he stays on the same improvement trajectory next year.

Drewlius
04-15-2019, 08:37 AM
Your years are off;

I desperately hope your fears are false. That would be a massive mistake.

cd021
04-15-2019, 05:03 PM
I desperately hope your fears are false. That would be a massive mistake.
Me too tbh. I'm ok with them re-signing him, just not for that price 3 years, $75-80 million is a lot for him. He wouldn't opt out unless he and his agent were sure they could get comparable money on a longer deal. A 3 year deal would still be better than a 4 year deal though.

Vito Corleone
04-15-2019, 05:56 PM
Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of reading on the players in this year's draft, however there are a few guys i really like.

I really like Chris Wilkes from UCLA, he is a 6'8 guy with good athleticism and lateral quickness, he has shown the ability to play good defense. I'm hoping he is available at the 29th pick. He reminds me of Bruce Bowen.

With the 19th pick I like Charles Bassey, he had a legit NBA body that can add some good muscle. He is a strong rim defender and a good rebounder.

No idea what the Spurs will do with their last pick, probably another Manu Ginoboli

SpaceCoast Spursfan
04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
Would like the Spurs to use 1 pick to get a high ceiling guy (Sekou Doumbouya, KZ Okpola, the Kentucky freshmen, or Walker-Alexander.
Then use other pick to get a guy that could contribute next year, although that is tough with Pop (Admiral Schofield, Grant Williams, Brandon Clarke, Ty Jerome, Bruno Fernando)

SpaceCoast Spursfan
04-15-2019, 07:14 PM
Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of reading on the players in this year's draft, however there are a few guys i really like.

I really like Chris Wilkes from UCLA, he is a 6'8 guy with good athleticism and lateral quickness, he has shown the ability to play good defense. I'm hoping he is available at the 29th pick. He reminds me of Bruce Bowen.

With the 19th pick I like Charles Bassey, he had a legit NBA body that can add some good muscle. He is a strong rim defender and a good rebounder.

No idea what the Spurs will do with their last pick, probably another Manu Ginoboli

Reminds me of Danny Green - as he doesn't have good handles and is inconsistent in his feet which causes him to be inconsistent on his 3pt shot. If Chip and other coaches feel he can improve those two areas definitely has the defensive tools to be a success 3 & D SF

HankChinaski
04-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Spurs are not finding another Manu with a late 2nd round pick. The days of euro players not being scouted are long over.

rascal
04-15-2019, 10:04 PM
I like this idea. The Spurs have the ammo to trade up.

They won't. Spurs don't like to trade.

TimmyBuckets
04-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Any good wings that'll fall to 19?

EricB
04-16-2019, 02:56 AM
Thybulle would be a great pickup.

Ain’t happening

EricB
04-16-2019, 02:57 AM

Wouldnt bring a 1/3 of what he does in the locker room. You may under estimate that, but it’s tangible.

EricB
04-16-2019, 03:01 AM
They won't. Spurs don't like to trade.

A complete lie. How do you think they acquired Kawhi Leonard?

r0drig0lac
04-16-2019, 05:18 AM

not bad tbh

monty4329
04-16-2019, 06:39 AM
Garbage

WTF? Garbage?

2018: Huerter (before Holiday, Shamet, Kurucs...)
2017: John Collins (before Allen, Kuzma, Hart, M.Morris...)
2016: Malik Beasley (before LaVert, Siakam...)
2015: Jerian Grant (before Harrell, Osman, Looney...)
2014: Gary Harris (before Bogdanovic, Dinwiddle...)

monty4329
04-16-2019, 06:42 AM

He has enough talent that teams closeout to him and he gets several shots at the rim, which he makes at high rate.

Some fans don't really understand basketball. Too much videogame time.

exstatic
04-16-2019, 07:05 AM

Actually, it’s true. That was eight years ago. When was the last time they traded up before that. He didn’t say they never traded, he said they don’t like to, and I’d have to agree.

MoSpur02
04-16-2019, 12:47 PM
So T-Park is posting again??

Stabula
04-16-2019, 01:28 PM
DJ, D-White, Lonnie, Poodle, 19th, 29th, no albatroses, Ime or Messina ready to take the torch, Spurs should be competitive for a while still...

Messina taking the torch would be a disaster

rascal
04-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Been many years since a significant trade. KL forced the Toronto trade and they dragged their feet making a trade with KL.

EricB
04-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Actually, it’s true. That was eight years ago. When was the last time they traded up before that. He didn’t say they never traded, he said they don’t like to, and I’d have to agree.

It’s unequivocally false that they don’t like to. They run into the problem of a lot of teams don’t want to trade them up.

EricB
04-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Been many years since a significant trade. KL forced the Toronto trade and they dragged their feet making a trade with KL.

Yeah and they won that trade 100%. Sit the fuck down.

EricB
04-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Messina taking the torch would be a disaster

If Pop retired this offseason, which he isn’t, the person to take over is Becky Hammond. She’s next in line, unless they can convince a certain college coach to leave his program, if he couldn’t be, Hammond is the next coach.

John B
04-19-2019, 12:48 PM
There are good size wings, PF/C in the 19th and even 29th pick. I doubt they trade especially with Spurs success in developing great players, plus DJ coming back (hopefully working on his jump shots). It really depends on Murray development. I like him, but no way Pop will take PG away from White after this series. Murray is still potential, White is real and people talking about his star quality. No way he will be relegated to 2nd unit. Murray would need to co-exist or he would be packaged with Forbes (also getting positive exposure) and could bring a nice athletic wing. But less likely.

venitian navigator
04-20-2019, 02:19 AM
After an ACL injury you need to recover properly...and it takes at least one entire season to do that.
Next year Murray can't and won't be the full speed, high jump Murray...if he gets the correct advise and don't act in a foolish way. Instead, next one could be the season he develops habits that could make him a better and more valuable player in the long run...like court vision and outside shooting. His full athleticism will come back, but it takes time. Doing differently could put in danger an entire career...
I don't see (obviously barring injuries, God save us) how he could put in danger DW point guard starting position...expecially considering the good chemistry DW has shown with LMA.
I don't see either him as a startin shooting guard...considering his outside shooting was and is till now a work in progress...and with a third element being a wing with no 3 point shoot (DDR) a shooter is a obvious need in the starting line up.
The best role I see for DJM next year is the one of 6th man coming off the bench with elite defense and higher offensive rythm.
In that sense he could take Manu's role...and it could work perfectly considering his probable partners coming from the bench could be good to very good shooters with suspect defense (Patty and Beli and Davis)...
With the proper and not extended amount of minutes, he could save his legs and heal properly and, at the same time, take back his playing level and have a more than decent stats for his coming contract...
That said, I'm frankly curious about our summer...considering we have two decent picks and a good amount of decent players with market value (DJM included)...

CGD
04-20-2019, 08:57 AM

It would be wild if George Hill essentially nets someone like AD (even if just a year)

Hill => Leonard and Davis
Leonard => DDR + Yak + 29th
DDR + 29 + (parts) => AD 1 year pitch plan
Davis & Yak => flipped for value later

Hill = AD + value extracted from Yak/Davis

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:32 AM
It’s unequivocally false that they don’t like to. They run into the problem of a lot of teams don’t want to trade them up.

Which teams don't want to trade the Spurs up? Is there a list, or do you know them all? Either way, I'm really curious.

BackHome
04-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Indiana after us getting KY