PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Pop on becoming the All Time wins leader for NBA coaches

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 12:11 AM
GOAT TBH.

ducks
04-14-2019, 12:13 AM
No go to lakers and see what you are made of

JeffDuncan
04-14-2019, 12:27 AM
Go Pop Go!! Need just a few more now.

Proxy
04-14-2019, 12:29 AM
GOAT :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Mr. Body
No question.

BatManu20
GOAT shit.

ElNono
04-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Phil will always be the better coach, tbh, but you can't be mad at that... congrats.

Mr. Body
04-14-2019, 12:37 AM
Phil will always be the better coach, tbh, but you can't be mad at that... congrats.

Nah, I think Pop passed Phil long ago. Phil was able to get big personalities to play within Tex Winter's system. He was never as innovative as Pop is. Pop gave birth to a new era of basketball and recreated his own team at least two times.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 01:06 AM

LOL gonna have to try harder than that to troll.

BatManu20
04-14-2019, 01:24 AM

WallyTiger
04-14-2019, 01:55 AM
thanks Timmy let me coach you

therealtruth
04-14-2019, 05:23 AM
Is it trolling for calling Pop out for never winning back to back or winning when the expectation was to win. PJ clearly has him beat in that regard. He was like 48-0 when winning the first game of a playoff series. How many times did Pop get backdoor swept. Or how about losing to an eighth seed as the number one seed. Pop and his simulator crew is just not on the level of PJ in terms of finishing the job. Pop just doesn't have that killer instinct that PJ had.

DavidTheGoliath
04-14-2019, 06:29 AM
It would be really convenient to have Kobe & Shaq, Kobe & Pau and MJ, instead of an aging DRob and Timmy dont you think?

Coach X
04-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Game1, 12/37 FG from his two stars and he managed to get a win keeping #2 seed under 100pts at home with this roster defensive skills and with Derrick White and Brynn Forbes leading the offense in a playoff game as visitors.

Gregg Popovich, what a fucking legend.

Oh boy I was wrong years ago when I thought he was an awful coach.

spursparker9
04-14-2019, 08:05 AM
Will be surpassed by Steve Kerr eventually

exstatic
04-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Not carved in stone. Kerr got a rocket engine start, but that team will fall apart, and soon. Pop had a losing record his first season, and still did what he did.

exstatic
04-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Both places Phil coached, the team had already been to the conference finals, and had two All NBA players. People act like Phil invented the triangle, but he didn’t, TexWinters did, was always on his staff, and almost the second he retired, Phil did, too, rather than be exposed as the charlatan and huckster that he was.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 12:07 PM
2014 alone is greater than anything Phil ever did.

spursreport
04-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Not carved in stone. Kerr got a rocket engine start, but that team will fall apart, and soon. Pop had a losing record his first season, and still did what he did.

That wasn’t even a full first season. He was thrown in like 18 games in and dealt with key injuries to his best players the entire year.

spursgu
04-14-2019, 12:24 PM
But some on here thought it was about his Kirby retirement tour and that he should retire soon. Pop makes his mistakes but we would be fucked without him. Just look at Messina when he takes over Pop.

baseline bum
04-14-2019, 12:28 PM

/thread

FkLA
04-14-2019, 12:30 PM
GOAT TBH.

Troof.

R. DeMurre
04-14-2019, 12:34 PM
I like Phil too, but all of his teams that won were supposed to win. The one exception might've been the first one with the Bulls, when there was a vague consensus that Jordan didn't have enough help to beat Magic's Lakers. The championships of 1999 and 2014 weren't pre-ordained. I can still remember pre-season chatter that a team starting Avery Johnson and a 35 year old Mario Ellie wasn't good enough to win an NBA title. And "experts" were saying as early as 2011 that the Spurs were old and done. Add to that the fact that the Spurs were frequently outspent by their competitors, who usually had wealthier owners.

DavidTheGoliath
04-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Leading by 24 in the 3rd qtr and still somehow finding a way to lose the game, worst coaching loss of all time.

GreekSpursfan
04-14-2019, 05:11 PM

His run ends with KD leaving. People think Pop was lucky with Timmy then what the hell this guy is. It's like he won five lotteries in one day.

superbigtime
04-14-2019, 05:16 PM
GOAT

ElNono
04-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Look, it's no hate on Pop, I still think Phil was better. Sure, Phil had extremely talented rosters, but managing those egos, threepeated 3 times, and went back to back the other time, just really impressive, and he got that done in 20 seasons. Think about it this way: as a coach, he had more seasons winning a championship than seasons he did not win a championship. That's more than just pure luck, IMO.

And yes, he's a terrible GM/Manager.

ElNono
04-14-2019, 05:35 PM
I should also add that being #2 in the history of the game is nothing to sneeze at, tbh...

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 05:59 PM
But he's not #2. He's #1. There's a reason Phil isn't. Phil's teams all fell apart. Pop? Not so much.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2019, 06:05 PM
The GOAT.

Anyone who thinks otherwise and calls himself a Spurs fan is just a hater.

ElNono
04-14-2019, 06:05 PM
But he's not #2. He's #1. There's a reason Phil isn't. Phil's teams all fell apart. Pop? Not so much.

Are we talking about Duncan or Pop?

ElNono
04-14-2019, 06:10 PM
The whole great player - great coach dynamic applies to almost every great coach, tbh... I don't see how it would have to diminish one guy and not the other.

Phil absolutely had stacked teams, and Pop also had 3 hall of famers during his run, two of them incredibly humble.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Are we talking about Duncan or Pop?

Only one of those is the all time wins leader as a coach. This is pretty weak trolling tbh.

DMC
04-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Is it trolling for calling Pop out for never winning back to back or winning when the expectation was to win. PJ clearly has him beat in that regard. He was like 48-0 when winning the first game of a playoff series. How many times did Pop get backdoor swept. Or how about losing to an eighth seed as the number one seed. Pop and his simulator crew is just not on the level of PJ in terms of finishing the job. Pop just doesn't have that killer instinct that PJ had.

Even the GOAT has someone else beating him in some regards. If you go into a gold mine looking for dirt, you'll find it.

It's just too bad that Phil didn't go somewhere like Seattle or Minnesota and make them super dynasties eh?

Old School 44
04-14-2019, 06:15 PM
In Chicago, Phil had the GOAT. In LA, he had Shaq & Kobe, not to mention the advantage of coaching in a place players want to be.
But the most telling thing about the Phil/Pop debate is the Pop coaching/front office tree that has spread throughout the league. Amazing!

DMC
04-14-2019, 06:16 PM
I'll obliterate Popovich's fake legacy with one factoid most around here probably didn't know about. Dude was 2-22 as a college head coach. If that doesn't prove, with absolute certainty, he was a coattailer of Duncan's legacy, I don't know what does. He must have sucked a good dick for Larry Brown to get any sort of chance in the NBA.

That's 6 consecutive lottery seasons eatin' at ya boy.

ElNono
04-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Only one of those is the all time wins leader as a coach. This is pretty weak trolling tbh.

No trolling, just an opinion. I didn't attack anybody that thinks Pop is better. Just stating my reasons, I'm fine if people disagree, tbh...

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 06:23 PM
No trolling, just an opinion. I didn't attack anybody that thinks Pop is better. Just stating my reasons, I'm fine if people disagree, tbh...
Fair

MannyIsGod
04-14-2019, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing you're thinking I'm somebody I'm not. I just despise Gregg Popovich for being an overrated sack of shit. Replace him with Carlisle and we win 2-3 more rings.

This is a funny account.

Mark in Austin
04-14-2019, 07:18 PM

:bobo

therealtruth
04-15-2019, 01:51 AM
Even the GOAT has someone else beating him in some regards. If you go into a gold mine looking for dirt, you'll find it.

It's just too bad that Phil didn't go somewhere like Seattle or Minnesota and make them super dynasties eh?

I'll give you that Pop is no doubt better at player development and developing a system. But no coaches takes teams in Seattle and Minesota and makes them dynasties (I'm guessing you're referring to small market teams as there's no team in Seattle right now). Don't forget about HOF players like TD, Parker, and Ginobili. And Bowen while not a HOF was clearly a dominant defender. However if we're considering just getting a team to win when you have the expectations PJ is clearly the best. If Pop was good at that he would have back to back by now. Another example the Celtics would probably have been a lot better this season. Teams wilt all the time under those expectations. Players say all the time winning back to back is the hardest thing to do.

RD2191
04-15-2019, 06:44 AM
Look, it's no hate on Pop, I still think Phil was better. Sure, Phil had extremely talented rosters, but managing those egos, threepeated 3 times, and went back to back the other time, just really impressive, and he got that done in 20 seasons. Think about it this way: as a coach, he had more seasons winning a championship than seasons he did not win a championship. That's more than just pure luck, IMO.

And yes, he's a terrible GM/Manager.

Deport. Build the wall. MAGA.

DMC
04-15-2019, 09:48 AM
I'll give you that Pop is no doubt better at player development and developing a system. But no coaches takes teams in Seattle and Minesota and makes them dynasties (I'm guessing you're referring to small market teams as there's no team in Seattle right now). Don't forget about HOF players like TD, Parker, and Ginobili. And Bowen while not a HOF was clearly a dominant defender. However if we're considering just getting a team to win when you have the expectations PJ is clearly the best. If Pop was good at that he would have back to back by now. Another example the Celtics would probably have been a lot better this season. Teams wilt all the time under those expectations. Players say all the time winning back to back is the hardest thing to do.

When Phil Jackson was coaching the Bulls and later the Lakers there was a team in Seattle.

The attributes you assigned to coach Pop are what defines a coach. Managing personalities of the most talented individuals in the history of the game it's more counselor than coach. He had one system that was the triangle and it wasn't even his. Pop has had many systems and has gotten many people to the ring and people like Parker would never have been Hall of Famers with any other coach in the league especially Phil Jackson. Bruce Bowen would not have been successful under field Jackson's system. Do you think coach Pop could have done well with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen or Kobe and Shaq?

Phenomanul
04-16-2019, 12:33 PM
How is this even a debate? What really baffles me is how people never mention Phil Jackson's mastery of complaining/manipulating NBA officials. Literally any time this guy would complain in the media, the next game the Lakers lived at the foul line. As another poster mentioned, PJ didn't necessarily exceed expectation, but he met them, something Popovich did not do. With PJ, we're looking at 8 or 9 rings, I firmly believe that to be true. 06 we don't lose to the fucking Mavs, I can tell you that much. A soft jump shooter like Dirk would not be living at the foul line with Phil Jackson as our head coach.

If the entire Spurs franchise were based out of Los Angeles instead of San Antonio... That same Spurs team, with Pop at the helm, doesn't lose to the Mavs in '06.

Chew on the implications of that statement.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Greatest coach of all time!

ginobilized
04-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Pop has a sustainable system and approach. Phil’s approach was
short term and ended in disarray. Pop is a real coach. I’d guess his relationships with former
players is far healthier than Phil’s.
Pop gets my vote, but, I’m a Spurs fan. Go figure.

ElNono
04-23-2019, 10:45 PM
:lol Worst series adjustment coach ever, tbh?

tim_duncan_fan
04-23-2019, 10:47 PM
Great coach.

These players are horrible. Mentally weak.

Chomag
04-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Any coach that had the big 3 for most of their career would have been the most winning coach in the NBA ... TBH

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Any coach that had the big 3 for most of their career would have been the most winning coach in the NBA ... TBH

therealtruth
04-23-2019, 11:06 PM
:lol Worst series adjustment coach ever, tbh?

He probably just doesn't have the fire anymore. Can't compete with the young coaches who are coaching like their lives depend on it. I think the last time he was really motivated to win was 2014 and that was for screwing up in 2013.

ElNono
04-23-2019, 11:21 PM
He probably just doesn't have the fire anymore. Can't compete with the young coaches who are coaching like their lives depend on it. I think the last time he was really motivated to win was 2014 and that was for screwing up in 2013.

I agree, tbh, I made a thread about that a few seasons ago. But, regardless, his in-series adjustments have always been fairly suspect IMO.