PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened to Rudy Gay???

Keepin' it real
04-16-2019, 10:30 PM
Looks like total dog shit out there. What the hell happened to him?

jermaine
04-16-2019, 10:32 PM
I came here to ask the same thing.... He ducked so bad. Him an Forbes. But Rudy, I thought he would step up. Clearly I was wrong. This loss is on him an Forbes

Dennis the Menace
04-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Rudy is washed up.

RC_Drunkford
04-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Rudy was terrible but we controlled the game until the middle of the 3rd quarter where our smartass headcoach thought it was smart to bench White and DeRozan at the same time and let Patty Mills with his corporate knowledge run the offense

jermaine
04-16-2019, 10:36 PM
He threw the ball away like 4 times. He was playing like they were tryna tank or something.

Xx_SpursNation_xX
04-16-2019, 10:36 PM
This is Rudy Gays career, you shouldnt be surprised.

superbigtime
04-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Very disappointed

BillMc
04-16-2019, 10:37 PM
I think he's at the point when he has good days with his body and bad days. Today he looked stiff and immobile.

DPG21920
04-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Hopefully he’s gone in the off season. He had a really good year but there’s no way you sink money into him. Hopefully Mills & Rudy & Beli are all virtually replaced by DJ + Lonnie + Free Agent.

Those 3 were decent enough but their roles should be drastically reduced.

DPG21920
04-16-2019, 10:39 PM
I think he's at the point when he has good days with his body and bad days. Today he looked stiff and immobile.

Yup. He’s been really good overall but you can’t sink $ into him with his body doing the yo yo.

HarlemHeat37
04-16-2019, 10:39 PM

Exactly..he's 32 years old coming off a torn Achilles 2 years ago, you can't rely on him every game..he's also always been a low-IQ player, his poor decisions shouldn't be surprising .

jjktkk
04-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Gay is not big enough to play a stretch 4. Millsap abused him tonight. Horrible decision making by Gay tonight.

BlackAndWhite
04-16-2019, 10:42 PM
He shouldn't be resigned. I think he has clearly declined from the start of the season

Capt Bringdown
04-16-2019, 10:42 PM
This is Rudy Gays career, you shouldnt be surprised.

Even for a mediocre player such as Gay, it was a dreadful night. He played as though he'd rather be watching the game from a couch, high on edibles.

CGD
04-16-2019, 10:44 PM
One of LMA, DDR, or Gay needs to move on. Can’t have three iso guys like this during showtime. Rudy played poorly tonight, but the decision to just let DDR essentially iso every possession in the 4th played little dividends. Spurs need to run shit through White.

TheGreatYacht
04-16-2019, 10:50 PM
The playoffs happened

itzsoweezee
04-16-2019, 10:50 PM
He's been fucking horrible. It is unconscionable that Rudy is getting minutes rather than Bertans.

Mugen
04-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Nothing really, just sub him out for Poetl who was having a good game and problem solved tbh.

timtonymanu
04-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Hopefully he’s gone in the off season. He had a really good year but there’s no way you sink money into him. Hopefully Mills & Rudy & Beli are all virtually replaced by DJ + Lonnie + Free Agent.

Those 3 were decent enough but their roles should be drastically reduced.

:tu

UZER
04-16-2019, 10:52 PM
Yup. He’s been really good overall but you can’t sink $ into him with his body doing the yo yo.

:pop:

Hold my beer.

spurs10
04-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Bad game for Rudy. He needs to get revenge in SA.

Xx_SpursNation_xX
04-16-2019, 10:56 PM
Can we talk about Forbes trying to hero ball, wha the fuck was that shit?

Blackhaus
04-16-2019, 10:56 PM
There’s no fucking reason why between DD, LMA and white, that 2 out of the three should be on the court at all times

tmtcsc
04-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Rudy Gay was awful tonight. Didn't look great in game 1 either. Not sure whats going on with him.

RD2191
04-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Can we talk about Forbes trying to hero ball, wha the fuck was that shit?

:lol

gameFACE
04-16-2019, 11:21 PM
There's a reason Rudy's never quite found a home. His consecutive turnovers and shit play in the 4th rubbed off.

$pursDynasty
04-16-2019, 11:23 PM
Won't help this year but might need to Robert Horry, Gay next year. His body is used to being in Cancun this time of year. Don't break him out til Christmas time. He looked gassed. Altitude or partying???

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2019, 11:24 PM
living upto his surname

slick'81
04-16-2019, 11:25 PM
Hell be 33 next season and i hope the spurs dont throw gasol money at him

Play Boban
04-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Looks like total dog shit out there. What the hell happened to him?
He’s just not a good player.

spursistan
04-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Watch them "loyal him up" this summer with 3years/45 millions :lmao..

Mugen
04-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, they pretty much have to keep Rudy or Derozan is going to lose his mind....it'd be great if they shipped them both out but doubt it tbh.

Duncan87
04-17-2019, 12:12 AM
TWO Games!!!! Fukin Poser ass Spurtalk fans gotta love him Gay can at least hold Millsap guess y’all wanna see him abuse Bertans all night

Duncan87
04-17-2019, 12:15 AM
Like two Spurs talkers gave them a chance to split the series y’all crazy freakin out. Our role players are money at home

YGWHI
04-17-2019, 12:26 AM
This team has to live with Rudy's highs and lows. Just enjoy his good games and try to survive through the bads

Chris
04-17-2019, 12:33 AM
In before Rudy drops 20/10/5 next game

Duncan87
04-17-2019, 12:38 AM
This season very few bads. Tell you what though Marco and Rudy deadly at home including Pattybills

monty4329
04-17-2019, 06:09 AM
One of LMA, DDR, or Gay needs to move on. Can’t have three iso guys like this during showtime. Rudy played poorly tonight, but the decision to just let DDR essentially iso every possession in the 4th played little dividends. Spurs need to run shit through White.

Gay cannot play effectively if every possession is basically a iso+turnover by DeChoker. Pop might as well just play 4 G-leaguers.

Kobe'sAchilles
04-17-2019, 07:48 AM
I was going to start a thread about this! He needs to be benched in the last 5 minutes of the game. He's too nervous and playing like he forgot how to play. I know Bertans only made one 3 but I still trust him over Gay. Or let Marco replace him. We need a shooter for DeRozan to kick out to when he goes hero mode.

Dverde
04-17-2019, 08:58 AM
He’ll play better next game. Quit being so dramatic. Good team mate and didn’t whine like Gasol when sent to the second unit.

GreekSpursfan
04-17-2019, 09:05 AM
When you want to win being a just a good teammate doesn't cut it. I didn't mention him as the reason we lost yesterday because this is what i usually expect from him in the playoffs. He was never a winning player. If we count on him to win, good luck with that.

sammy
04-17-2019, 09:19 AM
He's been fucking horrible. It is unconscionable that Rudy is getting minutes rather than Bertans.

WTH! Bertans is horrible at defense! He leaves to his man to double team & leaves a guy wide open for a three or he’s running to cover said guy & it’s too late! Saw that too many times & his offense has been missing since All Star snub not consistent like he was before All Star game! He’s part of the problem too! As soon as Gay,Bertans, Mills & Belinelli came in, there went the 19 point lead!:bang:bang:bang

TimDunkem
04-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Oh you know he's getting that loyalty deal.

stu scotts eye
04-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Got the "best teammate" award in his head

TDomination
04-17-2019, 10:12 AM
He did good game 1, had a bad game 2. Hopefully he comes back strong in game 3.

With that said, Poeltl should've finished the game last night, not Gay.

spursistan
04-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Most predictable shit happening this off-season :lol..

RD2191
04-17-2019, 10:14 AM
The playoffs happened

:lmao

TimDunkem
04-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Hell be 33 next season and i hope the spurs dont throw gasol money at him

They will.

Chomag
04-17-2019, 11:00 AM
I'm disappointed in Rudy but I haven't given up on him yet. Hopefully being home will help him get his Grove back.

JeffDuncan
04-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Maybe his wobbly feet will work better at low altitude.

jermaine
04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Pop seen it for sure... He subbed his ass out a couple times after dumb mistakes.

dbestpro
04-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Gay is playing himself off the roster for next year.

dbestpro
04-17-2019, 02:13 PM
He did good game 1, had a bad game 2. Hopefully he comes back strong in game 3.

With that said, Poeltl should've finished the game last night, not Gay.

Good game one? Like when he almost cost the game cause he had the ball ripped out of his hands by a smaller player.

TDomination
04-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Good game one? Like when he almost cost the game cause he had the ball ripped out of his hands by a smaller player.

lol 1 play defines a good game or bad game? He had a couple TO's but had an efficient game on offense. He was the leading scorer off the bench and led the bench in rebounding as well.

He was a net positive for sure in game 1.

SpurSpike
04-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Upcoming thread "The Spurs don't deserve Rudy Gay"... But seriously we are lucky to have him. He had a bad game, it happens. Now lets see him redeem himself!

TD 21
04-17-2019, 05:04 PM
There's no doubt he's been brutal (repeatedly failing to secure rebounds that should be his and regularly stopping the ball, forcing the action even when he doesn't have a mismatch and flinging up awful shots on drives, while hoping the officials bail him out and then when they don't, getting back in transition late), but he has to play significant minutes and close to win this series.

This is an offensive league now and this is an offensive team. Playing 1 plus 3-point shooter, 1 neutral one and 3 non ones, won't cut it down the stretch and if one of the streakiest players in the league is going to progress to the mean on a bevy of contested pullups, there's nothing Poeltl or anyone is going to do about it anyway.

Bertans, as I said going in, can only really play against Craig in this series. If progression to the mean ever kicks in for him (biggest drop in the league in 3-point % pre and post All-Star break), maybe you chance it and have him chase Barton or if they go with Beasley down the stretch. Short of that, it's going to have to be Aldridge, Gay, DeRozan, White and whichever of the 3 defensive liabilities is shooting it straightest and making the best decisions.

BackHome
04-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Yeah he played bad I guess he is pressing to justify next big contract a couple of millions is on the line. I like Rudy though I would not break the bank on him and this only makes it imperative that we draft a tough SF/PF in this draft.

lefty
04-17-2019, 08:13 PM
His last name happened

Em-City
04-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Rudy has been really good in his role this season.. I'm hoping he gets on track at home, but he deserves a bit of a long leash since he's shown how well he can fit with both the bench and starting units in the regular season. Having said that, playoffs are what matters and we need him to come good at home if Spurs are to advance

RC_Drunkford
04-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Pop seen it for sure... He subbed his ass out a couple times after dumb mistakes.

now if he would do the same with Mills we might have something here

RC_Drunkford
04-18-2019, 06:23 AM
Why dont they go White, Derozan, Bertans, Gay, Aldridge?

White vs Murray
Derozan vs Harris
Bertans vs Barton
Gay vs Milsap
Aldridge vs Jokic

Profit????

Pop played this line up once in the regular season to close out a game and it was very successful. That's why I don't expect him to ever use it again and instead play a no defense line up of Poeltl/Gay/Belinelli/Forbes/Mills consistently. That's just what he does at this point

vavvi
04-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Why dont they go White, Derozan, Bertans, Gay, Aldridge?

White vs Murray
Derozan vs Harris
Bertans vs Barton
Gay vs Milsap
Aldridge vs Jokic

Profit????

yeah that’s a very fair question.
in the regular season it wasn’t in our top20 most used lineups but it worked great for closing a game or two.
in this series so far we’ve seen zero minutes of this!!

but basically this is the same as our traditional closing lineup but with a longer/bigger defender in the shooter role (Bertrans instead of Forbes or Mills)

ZeusWillJudge
04-18-2019, 08:42 AM
He had a bad game.

He played 1850 minutes. His totals were:
3rd most points scored
3rd most FTA and FT made
3rd best 3P% of the regular rotation players (.402)
4th most points (just 21 behind Forbes who was 3rd)

On a Per-36 basis:
He scored 18.5 points per 36, compared to 21.9 for "scoring machine" DeRozan
He pulled down 9.2 boards, compared to 10 for 7-foot Aldridge
He dished out 3.6 AST, compared to 2 for "starting PG" Bryn Forbes

Other than that, he really didn't do shit for the Spurs this year. Except maybe for bringing down the 2nd most TOTAL rebounds on the team, behind only Aldridge. But nobody really cares about that, right?

Yeah, he sucks as a player. Definitely don't want a guy like that on the bench.

Keepin' it real
04-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Look, I've seen players have bad games before. But the reason I started this thread is that Rudy looked SHOCKINGLY BAD out there. He played the way I would have expected him to play his first game back from his Achilles tear. His game 2 performance was far worse than just "a bad game."

That's why I asked what the hell is up. I thought maybe he was hurt or something.

The Spurs are first-round fodder without a meaningful contribution from Rudy. Let's hope he has a huge turnaround.

UncleDennis
04-18-2019, 02:27 PM
I'm disappointed in Rudy but I haven't given up on him yet. Hopefully being home will help him get his Grove back.
I hear you, on this team he is kinda the x factor, when white-la-derozan are all doing decent enough he really has to come in and give them something to put the game over the top, even though he's older he shouldn't have games where he plays as bad as he did in game 2 though, I mean at one point he just pretty much ran/jump out of bounds with no one to pass to but himself.

Lets hope he can at least be solid from here on out.

BillMc
04-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Let's hope Rudy is feeling spry today. When he is we're hard to beat.

ZeusWillJudge
04-18-2019, 04:27 PM
The numbers I posted above were for an entire season. Long enough to be meaningful. You can't get around the fact that he was one of the biggest producers on the team in pretty much every aspect of the game, over the course of an entire season.

He hasn't played his best ball in the last month or more. Do you think it's coincidence that was about when he got moved to the bench? I don't think he's pouting. He's been part of some shitty lineups that force him to cover for some non-defending teammates, and don't provide as many good looks. His numbers suffer, but without him on the floor that second unit would be screwed.

He had a really bad game in Denver. It happens.

skin27
04-19-2019, 01:00 AM
He’s washed up..what do you expect?

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 01:02 AM
He's not getting the mismatches he gets against other teams. He does need to play bigger and stronger, though. We need him crashing the boards.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2019, 01:06 AM
He's not getting the mismatches he gets against other teams. He does need to play bigger and stronger, though. We need him crashing the boards.

He got 10 boards tonight. Second to Aldridge. He had the second most boards on the team for the entire season. He forced his way to the line for 8 FT's. The only thing he did wrong tonight was miss some shots. He needs to shoot better, but when a guy gets a double double off the bench, it's hard to call him worthless. Hard for me to do that, anyway.

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 01:59 AM
He got 10 boards tonight. Second to Aldridge. He had the second most boards on the team for the entire season. He forced his way to the line for 8 FT's. The only thing he did wrong tonight was miss some shots. He needs to shoot better, but when a guy gets a double double off the bench, it's hard to call him worthless. Hard for me to do that, anyway.

Yeah, I thought he was okay tonight. Wish he could score more, esp since Bertans is so useless in this series, but if he can try to defend and collect boards that's okay.

KimmyGib
04-19-2019, 02:35 AM
Not a pretty game for Rudy. But to his credit, he got to the line a game high 8 times and grabbed more boards in 23 minutes than 4 of Denver's starters combined. If he can limit the turnovers he'll be fine.

ceperez
04-19-2019, 05:40 AM

He's definitely lost a lot of mobility as this season has progressed.

But if he can just play PF, crash the boards like most low mobility PFs, then he fills a gap.

boutons_deux
04-19-2019, 05:53 AM
Rudy's short jumpers have become atrocious. eg, one 6-ft jumper last night didn't get into the cylinder, hit the rim and bounced straight down.

ceperez
04-19-2019, 06:35 AM
Rudy's short jumpers have become atrocious. eg, one 6-ft jumper last night didn't get into the cylinder, hit the rim and bounced straight down.

He lost a lot of spring in his legs lately. It's not like earlier in this season.

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Maybe he's done. The year Tim was done, you could tell. It happened near the end of the season, too.

GreekSpursfan
04-19-2019, 07:53 AM
If you want to just be in the playoffs, Gay can help you of the bench a lot but if you are a championship caliber team Gay should not be your best player of the bench.

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 09:55 AM

Not true, he was a traffic cone on defense. Especially in that 2nd quarter

Jay.From.NbTx
04-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Yea can’t tell you how many times I saw him get blown by last night for layups and how many times he got it stolen or blocked.. I love Rudy but he gotta step it up if he’s gonna be a liability on defense.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Not true, he was a traffic cone on defense. Especially in that 2nd quarter

The second unit is a clusterfuck on D. I went too far saying the only thing he did wrong was miss shots, but playing with a shit group makes everyone look worse. Covering for real pylons like Belli is damn impossible. You know that. I'd like to see him at the top of his game, and he isn't there. But he wouldn't look that bad if he was in with the starters.

I'd have to re-watch to remember exactly who all he was paired with. But I watched him scrapping for rebounds, and there's nobody else there to help box anyone out. Bertans was getting pushed around pretty badly. Fuck Patty Mills. Gay is too old to carry a shitshow like that on his own. Doesn't mean he's totally washed up.

alpha_HaZE
04-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Rudy needs to play within himself, sometimes he tries to do too much. Other times, he gets carried away and losses focus. However, he gets rebounds of us which is very important with DJ out, he can also be a very effective scorer for us.

Overall he is more of plus than a minus. If I were to point fingers, it's Patty, Bertans and Marco than need to step up their games.

monty4329
04-19-2019, 11:50 AM

He must have some kind of injury nagging. He is still realtively OK on vertical jumps, but you can clearly see he doesn't move well when he has to bend or go lateral. His shots also are all arms and no legs.

Hopefully he'll fell better soon, same as Marco who almost can't walk. It is the playoffs, nobody is fully healthy at the end of the season. I like the effort, it is there, only he does what he can. Plus against Denver he has to play against a big guy. If we go through, and play POR, he'll have more favorable matchups.

JeffDuncan
04-19-2019, 03:43 PM
After the torn achilles tendon a couple years ago, and the bursitis in the earlier part of this season, also the ankle trouble he had in Jan and Feb, Gay is rolling on wobbly wheels. It's hard to play like that.

objective
04-19-2019, 04:35 PM
He should stop thinking he's Magic. Stop trying to be the point guard, stop hogging the ball after a rebound and bringing it up, stop dribbling into traps.

BackHome
04-19-2019, 04:50 PM
If he can keep pulling 12 rebounds we probably keep on our win streak.

NickiRasgo
04-19-2019, 05:36 PM
It's the playoffs.

tonight...you
04-19-2019, 07:14 PM
The playoffs happened
Nukular.
I spelled it like that so certain posters would understand.

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Nukular.
I spelled it like that so certain posters would understand.

good job Homer Simpson

mystargtr34
04-19-2019, 09:02 PM
This series is a bad matchup for Rudy.. he just can’t do much with Millsap in the post.. he’s a bad enough defender as it is.. a crafty guy like Millsap who is clever at drawing fouls but can also overpower him will eat him up. You can’t really put him at the 3 either because Barton and Beasley are too quick. Maybe you can put him on Torrey Craig and avoid getting exposed defensively.

If the Spurs make it to the next round then I think Rudy has a better series against Portland (match up with Aminu or Meyers Leonard).. or OKC (Grant or Markief Morris).

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Well I take back everything I said. He's gotten open looks, and he can barely hit the rim with the ball. Now he's scared to even take a shot, and the Spurs are playing 4 on 5. Shit, put LW4 in the game.

Truth4sale$
04-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Gay is too slow at this point in his career, I think the ACL injury has taken its toll. He has no mobility. He can't drive and his jump shot is too sporadic. He is a 9th man on a championship squad, which the Spurs are NOT.

spursistan
04-20-2019, 07:56 PM
They better let him walk in the summer..

The last thing this team needs is another broken, overpaid loser on its roster..

Mugen
04-20-2019, 07:58 PM
They better let him walk in the summer..

The last thing this team needs is another broken, overpaid loser on its roster..

One silver lining to losing this series is hopefully it convinces them to move on from Rudy, Beli, and ideally Patty (not gonna happen).

But knowing Gay's relationship with Derozan and the team's emphasis on culture > good players, i'm sure he'll get 3years/45mil.

Hoops Czar
04-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Wasn't it just this year that posters were saying he was a MUST re-signing? How quickly the tide tirns.

jermaine
04-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Rudy has been a great team player I'll give him that... but Millsap has exposed him. He's to slow to blow past a PF, an he's to weak to guard one. If he doesn't come alive this series, it's time to let him walk. He's worse than Melo by far!!

BlackAndWhite
04-20-2019, 08:22 PM
His slump is not just limited to this series. I noticed starting from late in the season that Gay's production has dropped off a lot compared to the beginning. I think his body failed him which isn't out of place considering he's 32. Its probably not a bad idea to not resign him

GreekSpursfan
04-20-2019, 08:30 PM
If we want to tank, resign him.

ceperez
04-20-2019, 11:10 PM
His slump is not just limited to this series. I noticed starting from late in the season that Gay's production has dropped off a lot compared to the beginning. I think his body failed him which isn't out of place considering he's 32. Its probably not a bad idea to not resign him

I agree with this. He doesn't have the usual lift that he used to have early in the season.

TheGreatYacht
04-20-2019, 11:56 PM
:lol Rudy playing the correct chess pieces

Out of touch PATFO will get his new 4yr/60M contract ready at 12:00:59 AM... Then the usual fluffers will defend it....

"Sending a message to free agents that we repay loyalty :cry"

"Well actually, the cap space is increasing by 8.6969420% :nerd"

"Rudy will be huge for the team morale after losses. He might stop DDR from jumping from a bridge. That alone is worth 60M. Upvote pls"

TimDunkem
04-21-2019, 02:56 AM
Wasn't it just this year that posters were saying he was a MUST re-signing? How quickly the tide tirns.

I know I didn't. When has the Gay/DD tandem ever worked. :lol

Keepin' it real
04-23-2019, 09:32 PM
I didn't think it was possible, but he's looking even worse???!!

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2019, 09:41 PM
he get a loyalty contract by the looks of it

BlackAndWhite
04-23-2019, 09:42 PM
I legit believe his body is done. He declined massively since the beginning of the season and if he continues to play like that next year, which is likely, then the Spurs must not pay much to retain him

spursistan
04-24-2019, 01:05 AM
I legit believe his body is done. He declined massively since the beginning of the season and if he continues to play like that next year, which is likely, then the Spurs must not pay much to retain him

He can already GTFO even at a discount..He is too low IQ to thrive in old age with his broken body.

CGD
04-24-2019, 06:20 AM
Denny Green says hi:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKIcnj1MJY

BackHome
04-24-2019, 11:50 AM
I think he was playing for a big contract which has not worked out he is way over thinking on the court.

bklynspursfan
04-24-2019, 12:00 PM
His IG story today says RIP to his Grandmother. Don't know if she'd been sick or on his mind, but just throwing it out there. Would definitely be a factor to him not playing well. Especially since he was so solid all year basically. Prayers up to him and his fam

ZeusWillJudge
04-24-2019, 12:03 PM

Yes. I was one of them. The Spurs are in cap hell, and they need a veteran in that role. But his decline has been pretty steep from the earlier part of the season. When the situation changes, a wise person will change his opinion. Pop should probably think about that.

You think people should never change their opinion? Hell, half the marriages end in divorce. What do you think that's about? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not apologizing for switching horses when the first horse comes up lame.

GreekSpursfan
04-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Gay the person looks like a very nice guy, by the way prayers to his family for their loss, but Gay the player is no longer the same guy he used to be offensively. His diminished athleticism coupled with his defensive history which continues to rear its ugly head has made him a pretty big negative for a playoff team with aspirations. If we're talking about a treadmill team hovering around the 8th seed then he's useful of the bench. If we're tanking i resign him but only then.

Play Boban
04-24-2019, 08:24 PM
He’s always been a career stat padding loser, and now he’s old too tbh.

Capt Bringdown
04-24-2019, 08:27 PM
He didn't look this bad in the regular season. I guess this is his playoff form.

Kurgan
04-24-2019, 08:29 PM
He’s always been a career stat padding loser, and now he’s old too tbh.

Him and Derozan are the same player. Negative impact, box score stuffers. You'd think the front office would have taken a cue from their underwhelming season together in Toronto.

Uriel
04-24-2019, 08:37 PM
His grandmother just died, per his Instagram account. That could partially explain his recent performance.

DPG21920
04-24-2019, 09:12 PM
This playoffs one would think either A) will cause SA to move on this off season or B) significantly shift bargaining power if he his brought back.

tholdren
04-24-2019, 09:33 PM
His grandmother just died, per his Instagram account. That could partially explain his recent performance.

Then dont play. Hes too fragile.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-24-2019, 10:30 PM
I think it's time for him to retire. He can't even move anymore.

DesignatedT
04-24-2019, 10:33 PM
Do not bring him back. No need for a regular season player who can’t even stay healthy. No way.

DPG21920
04-24-2019, 10:51 PM
If SA is going to be an over the cap team, signing Rudy makes sense. If they let Rudy go and stay over the cap, they have 9M to replace him. If they keep Rudy, they have 9M to add another player + have Rudy.

So if SA is set on operating over the cap, keeping Gay makes sense. But it needs to be a one year deal or a 1+1 fully non-guaranteed 2nd year/team option.

At the most, it’s a 3 year deal with the third year fully non-guaranteed/team option. But I would prefer 1 year or 1+1.

ZeusWillJudge
04-24-2019, 11:04 PM
If SA is going to be an over the cap team, signing Rudy makes sense. If they let Rudy go and stay over the cap, they have 9M to replace him. If they keep Rudy, they have 9M to add another player + have Rudy.

So if SA is set on operating over the cap, keeping Gay makes sense. But it needs to be a one year deal or a 1+1 fully non-guaranteed 2nd year/team option.

At the most, it’s a 3 year deal with the third year fully non-guaranteed/team option. But I would prefer 1 year or 1+1.

I would have said that was a perfect analysis just a couple of weeks ago. The Spurs really need Rudy Gay next season - the way he was earlier in the season. And if he was just in a shooting slump, I'd say that they need to sign him anyway. But he has been putting up really bad shots, not just clanking. And he's still pulling down rebounds, which they need, but he's been pretty bad on defense.

I want to think that his defense is at least partly from being on the court with guys like Beli and Patty, but it's more than that. And on offense he can't create for himself like he always has. I'm really wondering if his body just isn't up to a whole season. I hope he proves me wrong, but he's not a must-sign playing like this.

DPG21920
04-24-2019, 11:45 PM
I would have said that was a perfect analysis just a couple of weeks ago. The Spurs really need Rudy Gay next season - the way he was earlier in the season. And if he was just in a shooting slump, I'd say that they need to sign him anyway. But he has been putting up really bad shots, not just clanking. And he's still pulling down rebounds, which they need, but he's been pretty bad on defense.

I want to think that his defense is at least partly from being on the court with guys like Beli and Patty, but it's more than that. And on offense he can't create for himself like he always has. I'm really wondering if his body just isn't up to a whole season. I hope he proves me wrong, but he's not a must-sign playing like this.

He’s definitely not a must sign by any stretch. But if it’s a one year deal? It’s kind of silly not to sign him if you are over the cap anyways. Even if it’s just for regular season wins.

RC_Drunkford
04-25-2019, 06:38 AM

on point. But I think with the way this team has looked recently the Spurs should really consider moving some salary on draft night and get under the cap

ZeusWillJudge
04-25-2019, 07:01 AM
He’s definitely not a must sign by any stretch. But if it’s a one year deal? It’s kind of silly not to sign him if you are over the cap anyways. Even if it’s just for regular season wins.

No, you're right. My first thought is always about playoffs. But the way he's playing right now, he's not even going to add a lot of regular season wins that they couldn't get anyway. That's a sad thing for me to say, because I really like the guy. Two months ago I really thought he was one of the biggest priorities for the offseason.

If I had thought a little more before I typed, I'd have figured out that they could also sign him over the cap and use him for trade ballast if they were to make a deal. On a one year deal, I guess it is sort of a given that they sign him. You know he's going to be looking for more than a one year deal. Maybe if they're over the cap anyway and "it's only money" instead of a cap space concern, they could pay him more for one year and have more ballast available.

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Exactly - who cares what they pay him next year. Id rather 1 year 20M than 2 years at 10 each.

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 11:34 AM
on point. But I think with the way this team has looked recently the Spurs should really consider moving some salary on draft night and get under the cap

I think it’s really likely we see SA make a trade. I’m just not sure it will be a trade that opens up cap space.

Mugen
04-25-2019, 11:47 AM
I think it’s really likely we see SA make a trade. I’m just not sure it will be a trade that opens up cap space.

The only trade I could see them making would be involving Belinelli. Knowing post 2014 Pop and the kind of guys he likes, Bryn and Patty are practically untouchable (even though I hate Bryn, his contract is fine if he saw like 10-15 mins a game only).

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 11:57 AM
The only trade I could see them making would be involving Belinelli. Knowing post 2014 Pop and the kind of guys he likes, Bryn and Patty are practically untouchable (even though I hate Bryn, his contract is fine if he saw like 10-15 mins a game only).

I think the order of trade potential is: Beli, Mills then Forbes. I do think it’s possible Mills is moved with 29th pick. Something like Mills + 29 for player + 2nd Round Pick

Mugen
04-25-2019, 12:25 PM
I think the order of trade potential is: Beli, Mills then Forbes. I do think it’s possible Mills is moved with 29th pick. Something like Mills + 29 for player + 2nd Round Pick

With all seriousness, there's zero chance in hell Mills gets moved. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his jersey retired. Pop and the FO are in love with him, the moment they decided to make their backup PG the unequivocal team leader, his spot on the team for the next 3-5 years was cemented.

The FO probably likes his fit next to Murray, White, and Lonnie since patty can "shoot" (as long as it isn't in any meaningful game).

cjw
04-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Exactly - who cares what they pay him next year. Id rather 1 year 20M than 2 years at 10 each.

Exactly. If operating over the cap anyway next year as you point out, it doesn’t matter as they have no room to replace him (and will have the MLE either way ... unless they go into the tax and it gets reduced).

Just don’t lock up money beyond next season. Better to have flexibility going into next offseason. I’d prefer a 1+1 team option or just a one year deal at a higher number.

in2deep
04-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Millsap is tearing him to a bunch of gay shreds

objective
04-25-2019, 12:55 PM

I agree on bringing him back if only due to the circumstances of the cap, but I would hope the Spurs don't give more than a 1+1 team option or unguaranteed 2nd year

Because based on how he continues to hog the ball and pretend to be Point Rudy instead of giving it up ... I doubt he'll age gracefully into a smaller role

I don't want them to be locked into a second year of a hobbled, cement-shoes Rudy refusing to give the ball to Dejounte or Derrick after a rebound

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 12:58 PM
With all seriousness, there's zero chance in hell Mills gets moved. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his jersey retired. Pop and the FO are in love with him, the moment they decided to make their backup PG the unequivocal team leader, his spot on the team for the next 3-5 years was cemented.

The FO probably likes his fit next to Murray, White, and Lonnie since patty can "shoot" (as long as it isn't in any meaningful game).

SA traded Bruce. Sean. Hill. They will trade guys they love if it makes sense. It’s just Math. Beli is the most likely because he’s the most replaceable and easier contract. Mills is next because White and Murray and Lonnie are here and you can’t pay your 3rd PG 12/13M. They could move Bryn instead however Bryn is younger and better.

So while I would not categorize Mills as likely to be traded I do think a lot of signs point that way. It will come down to how other teams view his deal. I think most teams would value Mills the locker room leader and his play still holds some value. It’s are they willing to pay that price and what would they give up.

I think a lot of teams would view Mills + 29 as a damn good deal.

superbigtime
04-25-2019, 01:40 PM
SA traded Bruce. Sean. Hill. They will trade guys they love if it makes sense. It’s just Math. Beli is the most likely because he’s the most replaceable and easier contract. Mills is next because White and Murray and Lonnie are here and you can’t pay your 3rd PG 12/13M. They could move Bryn instead however Bryn is younger and better.

So while I would not categorize Mills as likely to be traded I do think a lot of signs point that way. It will come down to how other teams view his deal. I think most teams would value Mills the locker room leader and his play still holds some value. It’s are they willing to pay that price and what would they give up.

I think a lot of teams would view Mills + 29 as a damn good deal.

I agree, and let's hope so