PDA

View Full Version : Is Tiger Woods now officially the GOAT?

Millennial_Messiah
04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Can't believe he actually won the doggone' Masters after a decade of not quite getting there for one reason, injury or another. It reminds me a lot of Tim Duncan's triumph in 2014.

Reck
04-17-2019, 04:43 PM
He was already up there.

People just like shitting on people when they're down then suck their dicks when they win again.

FrostKing
04-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Roger Federer is higher in Sport Figure rankings for example

spurraider21
04-17-2019, 05:08 PM
of golf? he already was. the rate at which he picked up his first 14 majors is unprecedented. to come back a decade later and win another one is just gravy.

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Nicklaus is still the GOAT. Tiger still has time to catch him tho.

leemajors
04-17-2019, 06:08 PM
Nicklaus is still the GOAT. Tiger still has time to catch him tho.

This. I think Hogan was a better player than both, though.

Will Hunting
04-17-2019, 07:57 PM
of golf? he already was. the rate at which he picked up his first 14 majors is unprecedented. to come back a decade later and win another one is just gravy.
Not just the rate at which he won but by how much he won. I remember the US Open I went to at Bethpage when he didn’t just win but smoked everyone else, no one was anywhere near his level.

spurraider21
04-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Not just the rate at which he won but by how much he won. I remember the US Open I went to at Bethpage when he didn’t just win but smoked everyone else, no one was anywhere near his level.
i dont pretend to follow golf closely at all... the ~10 year hiatus of not playing or not playing well will hurt his legacy. but for most of 98-08 he had lapped the field. i think singh was #1 for a minute and tiger roared back.

tiger is what, 43 now? people dont typically win in their 40's. the oldest guy to ever win a major was like 48

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 08:38 PM
It's probably the GOAT comeback in all sports, I'll grant that.

He was well on his way to GOAT golfer but det surgery....

SpursforSix
04-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Tiger is pretty much like the same as if Pudge Rodriguez was compared to the Patriots having JJ Watt instead of Brady in 2007.

SpursforSix
04-17-2019, 08:45 PM
This. I think Hogan was a better player than both, though.

I think a case could be made for the older generations. Club and ball technology has significantly improved but the top golf scores have stayed pretty consistent. I think anyway.

pgardn
04-17-2019, 09:22 PM
I think a case could be made for the older generations. Club and ball technology has significantly improved but the top golf scores have stayed pretty consistent. I think anyway.

Courses are much longer and tougher now.

But hitting beautiful shots with those crappy clubs is amazing.

SpursforSix
04-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Courses are much longer and tougher now.

But hitting beautiful shots with those crappy clubs is amazing.

Is that true? The majors courses have gotten longer and/or tougher? I didn’t know that. Although I don’t really follow golf much. As I told my friend, it’s a good walk spoiled.

FrostKing
04-17-2019, 09:51 PM

LOL!

Lay off the ESPN kiddo

Off the top of my head: Mario Lemieux, Monica Sales and George Foreman

pgardn
04-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Is that true? The majors courses have gotten longer and/or tougher? I didn’t know that. Although I don’t really follow golf much. As I told my friend, it’s a good walk spoiled.

It is true.

WAAAy longer.
And the greens can be absolute hell in majors.
The pin placements are sadistic.
Those dudes Tiger beat are really, really good players.
The players actually stretch appropriately and have workouts/diets specified for golf. (Beer and Nachos)

The thing that might be better on courses for the golfers today ...the fairways are usually in very good shape. But super narrow.

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 10:10 PM
LOL!

Lay off the ESPN kiddo

Off the top of my head: Mario Lemieux, Monica Sales and George ForemanI don't watch ESPN.

Also: no, no and no.

We'll have to see how long Tiger 2.0 lasts.

FrostKing
04-17-2019, 10:14 PM
I don't watch ESPN.

Also: no, no and no.

We'll have to see how long Tiger 2.0 lasts.
Cancer and getting stabbed on the court by a fan dwarfs whatever "hardships" the shitty media is trying to sell bout him

He's basically the Dennis Rodman of Golf

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 10:20 PM
Cancer and getting stabbed on the court by a fan dwarfs whatever "hardships" the shitty media is trying to sell bout him

He's basically the Dennis Rodman of Golf:lol no

He's half black and you're shitting yourself. I get it.

FrostKing
04-17-2019, 10:23 PM
:lol no

He's half black and you're shitting yourself. I get it.
When you make proclamations such as "GREATEST COMEBACK EVER" you should construct a reason why.

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 10:31 PM
When you make proclamations such as "GREATEST COMEBACK EVER" you should construct a reason why.Length of time between major victories. Age. Couldn't swing a club after surgery. Personal issues. You know, obvious stuff anyone could discern.

FrostKing
04-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Length of time between major victories. Age. Couldn't swing a club after surgery. Personal issues. You know, obvious stuff anyone could discern.
So he's even below MJ's comeback.

Thought so.

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 11:08 PM
So he's even below MJ's comeback.:lol no

You don't think at all.

phxspurfan
04-17-2019, 11:22 PM
Nicklaus is still the GOAT

phxspurfan
04-17-2019, 11:23 PM
The GOAT of throwing orgies tbh

Pavlov
04-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Nicklaus throws orgies?

Avant
04-18-2019, 12:49 AM
Muhammad Ali coming back after prison to beat both Frazier and Foreman more impressive.

When comparing athletes you always ignore this....harder today....stuff, that simply doesn't matter, you go with domination of era.

There are HS kids today far superior to Olympic Champions from back in the day. That means nothing.

Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT when it comes to golf and will stay there unless Woods wins 4 more majors.

As far as just sports go, there is no such creature as THE GOAT. It has to be done by sport/event.

Millennial_Messiah
04-18-2019, 12:55 AM
Muhammad Ali coming back after prison to beat both Frazier and Foreman more impressive.

When comparing athletes you always ignore this....harder today....stuff, that simply doesn't matter, you go with domination of era.

There are HS kids today far superior to Olympic Champions from back in the day. That means nothing.

Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT when it comes to golf and will stay there unless Woods wins 4 more majors.

As far as just sports go, there is no such creature as THE GOAT. It has to be done by sport/event.

Ali didn't go to prison. He was out on bail until the Nixon administration got the conviction overturned 5 years later.

Just proves what a damn hypocritical neocon scumbag Lyndon Johnson was tbh. Took credit for "civil rights" while oppressing the black man worse than any Republican in history. Likely the worst president in US history along with dictator FDR, but at least FDR helped us win a war... whereas dumbass LBJ got hundreds of thousands of Americans killed in a losing war. Putting people in prison for "draft evasion" is so medieval and archaic.

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 01:03 AM
Muhammad Ali coming back after prison to beat both Frazier and Foreman more

Ali didn't go to prison. He was out on bail until the Nixon administration got the conviction overturned 5 years later.

Somehow you both managed to be wrong.

Avant
04-18-2019, 02:05 AM

Just proves what a damn hypocritical neocon scumbag Lyndon Johnson was tbh. Took credit for "civil rights" while oppressing the black man worse than any Republican in history. Likely the worst president in US history along with dictator FDR, but at least FDR helped us win a war... whereas dumbass LBJ got hundreds of thousands of Americans killed in a losing war. Putting people in prison for "draft evasion" is so medieval and archaic.

I know no actual time was spent I did assume "prison" explained his situation away from the ring.

I have never paid any attention to any president, just don't care.

Avant
04-18-2019, 02:06 AM
Somehow you both managed to be wrong.

Pavlov, shut the fuck up, ok pedo?

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 02:11 AM
Pavlov, shut the fuck up, ok pedo?:lol You said Ali was in prison.

Ali was not in prison.

You were wrong.

lol Avante

Avant
04-18-2019, 02:17 AM
:lol You said Ali was in prison.

Ali was not in prison.

You were wrong.

lol Avante

Pavlov, my God you're stupid, wow~~~~

Dude, everybody knows no actual prison time, ok dummy? I used "prison" as the reason he wasn't boxing, I did assume that was very obvious, I should have known a moron like you wouldn't get it. Dude, boxing historian here, ok? Can actually talk plantation fighters, ok stupid?

Own his book, have seen the movie,ok dummy?

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 02:19 AM
Pavlov, my God you're stupid, wow~~~~

Dude, everybody knows no axtual prison time, ok dummy? I useed "prison" as the reason he wasn;t boxing, I did sume that was very obvious, I should have known a moron like you wouldn't get it. Dude, boxing historian here, ok? Can actually talk plantation fighters, ok stupid?He wasn't in prison.

That wasn't the reason he was out of boxing because he wasn't in prison.

:lol trying to change the subject

You were just wrong. It's not the first time.

Avant
04-18-2019, 02:23 AM
He wasn't in prison.

That wasn't the reason he was out of boxing because he wasn't in prison.

:lol trying to change the subject

You were just wrong. It's not the first time.

Dude, I know, we all know. That was just an easy way to explain why he wasn't boxing. I assumed that was obvious.

Pavlov, are you really this fucking stupid? Dude, how could any boxing fan think Ali was actually in some prison, hahahahaha~~~~~ I READ HIS BOOK...now think dummy..

What an idiot.

So I read his book...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/512y5vwvPKL._SL300_.jpg

But thought he went to prison, hahahaha~~~~~~~

Pavlov, I go back to the days of Tom Molineaux who won so many fights for his owner he was granted his freedom, now what happened next?

George "Little Chocolate" Dixon the first black to hold a world boxing championship had over 800 bouts.

Boxing fan here pedo.

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 02:48 AM
Dude, I know, we all know. That was just an easy way to explain why he wasn't boxing. I assumed that was obvious.It's obvious he was never in prison.

So claiming he was in prison is wrong.

Don't try to change the subject again; just admit you were wrong to say he was in prison.

Avant
04-18-2019, 03:12 AM
It's obvious he was never in prison.

So claiming he was in prison is wrong.

Don't try to change the subject again; just admit you were wrong to say he was in prison.

Where did I say he was in prison? Well?

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 03:28 AM
Muhammad Ali coming back after prisonThere was no prison to come back from since he was never in prison.

You were wrong.

lol Avante's completely and utterly wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

Avant
04-18-2019, 03:37 AM
There was no prison to come back from since he was never in prison.

You were wrong.

lol Avante's completely and utterly wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

Pavlov, you really don't get this at all do ya pedo? Prison......was just away of explaining why he was out of boxing knowing we all were well aware of the fact he never actually went to prison.

Stupid, ever hear some college football game announcer......best RB in the nation? He knows we know he is just talking the college game without him having to explain it.

That was what I was doing and it should be real obvious to anyone with any common sense. Dude, are you really this damn dumb?

Pedo, so I read his book but thought he spent time in a prison, hahahahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 03:40 AM
Pavlov, you really don't get this at all do ya pedo? Prison......was just away of explaining why he was out of boxing knowing we all were well aware of the fact he never actually went to prison. Apparently you weren't; you would never have said he was in prison otherwise.

Quit trying to make excuses.

You were wrong.

lol Avante

Avant
04-18-2019, 03:49 AM
Apparently you weren't; you would never have said he was in prison otherwise.

Quit trying to make excuses.

You were wrong.

lol Avante

I'm holding ...KING OF THE WORLD....in my hand, a book on the life of Muhammad Ali written by David Remnick, it came out in 1998. I read it around 99. How in the hell would I think he ever did any actual prison time?

Pavlov, you cannot be this damn stupid.

Right there is MUHAMMAD ALI written by David West in 2012, read that one in 2012.

Dude, you gotta be dumbest poster we have here.

Neither book has any chapter on Ali in any prison, ok ya dumb fuck?

Pedo, what prison? If he'd actually went to prison everyone would know which one, right dummy?

Avant
04-18-2019, 04:13 AM
Hmmmm?

page 162 of MUHAMMAD ALI

Lionized abroad, Ali found himself a prisoner of a society increasingly polarized over the issues he stood for.

Ok, stupid see how he used that word prisoner, OBVIOUSLY not a real prisoner.

Pavlov, I knew you were an idiot but this one....wow~~~~

Dude, knowing everybody knows his story I assumed "prison" was the best way to explain why he wasn't boxing, I forgot about how damn stupid you are, yep. my bad.

Millennial_Messiah
04-18-2019, 10:18 AM
He wasn't in prison; he was banned from boxing and the national media because he was a pacifist and didn't want to get himself killed for the sake of some old rich white neocons.

FrostKing
04-18-2019, 10:24 AM
He wasn't in prison; he was banned from boxing and the national media because he was a pacifist and didn't want to get himself killed for the sake of some old rich white neocons.
Easy to have that perspective in hindsight on communism/USSR and the Cold War today. Just 20 years earlier the Nazis were defeated and in the meantime the Soviets gulped up 1/3 of Europe.

Millennial_Messiah
04-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Easy to have that perspective in hindsight on communism/USSR and the Cold War today. Just 20 years earlier the Nazis were defeated and in the meantime the Soviets gulped up 1/3 of Europe.

But the US wasn't in a World War against the USSR. The US was fighting a proxy war against an impoverished country that wanted to switch ideologies to an ideology the US had been programmed for 20 years not to like. But it's not the US's responsibility to police the world. Economically it was obvious a place like North Korea wasn't going to be a world power because it was too poor to sustain itself due to communism, and so Vietnam was going to be the same way. Even the USSR ultimately perished and had to concede their satellite countries by the late '80s because it was too broke.

But the "domino theory" was some bullshit.

FrostKing
04-18-2019, 10:43 AM
But the US wasn't in a World War against the USSR. The US was fighting a proxy war against an impoverished country that wanted to switch ideologies to an ideology the US had been programmed for 20 years not to like. But it's not the US's responsibility to police the world. Economically it was obvious a place like North Korea wasn't going to be a world power because it was too poor to sustain itself due to communism, and so Vietnam was going to be the same way. Even the USSR ultimately perished and had to concede their satellite countries by the late '80s because it was too broke.

But the "domino theory" was some bullshit.
Maybe in hindsight US should have fought the USSR head on in the 1950s

The ideology was spreading like wild fire at the time. Much faster and successfully than the Nazis. It was a much greater threat to Americans than Nazi-Germany

Millennial_Messiah
04-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Maybe in hindsight US should have fought the USSR head on in the 1950s

The ideology was spreading like wild fire at the time. Much faster and successfully than the Nazis. It was a much greater threat to Americans than Nazi-Germany

:lmao then we'd all be dead or living in the Southern Hemisphere, because the Northern Hemisphere would be contaminated with all that radiation

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 10:51 AM
I'm holding ...KING OF THE WORLD....in my hand, a book on the life of Muhammad Ali written by David Remnick, it came out in 1998. I read it around 99. How in the hell would I think he ever did any actual prison time?

Pavlov, you cannot be this damn stupid.

Right there is MUHAMMAD ALI written by David West in 2012, read that one in 2012.

Dude, you gotta be dumbest poster we have here.

Neither book has any chapter on Ali in any prison, ok ya dumb fuck?

Pedo, what prison? If he'd actually went to prison everyone would know which one, right dummy?

Hmmmm?

page 162 of MUHAMMAD ALI

Lionized abroad, Ali found himself a prisoner of a society increasingly polarized over the issues he stood for.

Ok, stupid see how he used that word prisoner, OBVIOUSLY not a real prisoner.

Pavlov, I knew you were an idiot but this one....wow~~~~

Dude, knowing everybody knows his story I assumed "prison" was the best way to explain why he wasn't boxing, I forgot about how damn stupid you are, yep. my bad.
You said he was in prison.

You were wrong.

You are stupid.

lol Avante

FrostKing
04-18-2019, 10:53 AM
:lmao then we'd all be dead or living in the Southern Hemisphere, because the Northern Hemisphere would be contaminated with all that radiation
Soviets didn't have a atomic bomb at the time (end of WW2), otherwise they likely would have dropped it on Berlin as payback

US fought the Nazis to keep them from doing exactly what the USSR accomplished overnight. The only difference was the Soviets didn't say racist stuff.

Millennial_Messiah
04-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Soviets didn't have a atomic bomb at the time (end of WW2), otherwise they likely would have dropped it on Berlin as payback

US fought the Nazis to keep them from doing exactly what the USSR accomplished overnight. The only difference was the Soviets didn't say racist stuff.

We needed to stay out of the USSR's business entirely.

FrostKing
04-18-2019, 11:11 AM
We needed to stay out of the USSR's business entirely.
Soviets business would have ended up on Americas door step and not just a tiny Cuban island. Not to mention internal meddling or outright economic change in America. Capatislim was far less engraved in America at that time and Communism was flourishing

spurraider21
04-18-2019, 12:39 PM

goat as far as entire career? if you treat that as a pure tally of accomplishments/majors, then yeah its not really very debatable, nicklaus has the most.

i guess it could be the shaq thing where you could consider him the "most dominant" as his 98-08 stretch is simply unmatched. could argue he had the best/longest prime... or could say that stretch alone makes him the GOAT golfer.

Pavlov
04-18-2019, 12:49 PM
goat as far as entire career? if you treat that as a pure tally of accomplishments/majors, then yeah its not really very debatable, nicklaus has the most.

i guess it could be the shaq thing where you could consider him the "most dominant" as his 98-08 stretch is simply unmatched. could argue he had the best/longest prime... or could say that stretch alone makes him the GOAT golfer.Right, opens too many doors for me. Olajuwon was insanely dominant for two years, for example. I don't know enough about any sport to get that involved tbh. Tiger's in the mix and still has years left. Another dominant stretch and it'll be easier to call him GOAT for sure.

spurraider21
04-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Right, opens too many doors for me. Olajuwon was insanely dominant for two years, for example. I don't know enough about any sport to get that involved tbh. Tiger's in the mix and still has years left. Another dominant stretch and it'll be easier to call him GOAT for sure.
i think you'd weigh the dominance of that stretch against the length of the stretch. so olajuwon pwning the nba for 2 years, or shaq being unstoppable for 4 years isn't enough. the length of tiger's dominant stretch isn't comparable to those guys though. GOAT is always subjective and based on definition.

FrostKing
04-18-2019, 01:01 PM
i think you'd weigh the dominance of that stretch against the length of the stretch. so olajuwon pwning the nba for 2 years, or shaq being unstoppable for 4 years isn't enough. the length of tiger's dominant stretch isn't comparable to those guys though. GOAT is always subjective and based on definition.
Golf is a sport where you compete into your 60s+. NBA is 37 and you are done.

spurraider21
04-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Golf is a sport where you compete into your 60s+. NBA is 37 and you are done.
oldest person to ever win a golf major was 48

Kim Jong-il
04-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Tiger at his peak is the best golfer ever, without a doubt. But having the highest peak doesn’t mean having the greatest career. Peak LeBron is the best basketball player ever, Jordan is still the GOAT. Peak Gronk is the best tight end ever, Tony Gonzalez is still the GOAT, etc.

FrostKing
04-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Tiger at his peak is the best golfer ever, without a doubt. But having the highest peak doesn’t mean having the greatest career. Peak LeBron is the best basketball player ever, Jordan is still the GOAT. Peak Gronk is the best tight end ever, Tony Gonzalez is still the GOAT, etc.
?

When. Shaq is the most unstoppable force Ive ever seen on Basketball court but I didn't watch Jordan in the 1980's

Hakeem in that 2-year run and Duncan in the early-mid 2000's was also superior to James