PDA

View Full Version : Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

Budkin
04-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty

MarCowMar
04-18-2019, 04:00 PM
So basically we can be assured that as long as Pop can write off his binge drinking as a "work expense" he'll continue to coach? Gotta love those hypocritical liberals.

GusT15
04-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Wonderful article about Popovich from ESPN.

Long article about Popovich from ESPN.Unrelated to basketball though.It's great that the Spurs coach as a GOAT coaching figure can inspire such stories about dinners,food,wine and team,family culture,it really is.
But it also kinda makes me feel sad,as if we're a basketball afterthought and our culture is the only thing that is relevant.

Anyways i'm just gonna highlight this part

BY NOW, YOU'RE perhaps wondering something along the lines of: Who the hell pays for all this? How much does it cost? And how can I jump on this gravy train?
If so, know this: At the end of the night, Popovich picks up the tab -- always -- including for former Spurs who happen to be in the same restaurant, even if they're not in his group.
Well Pop,if you are paying for everybody's wine,how the hell do you expect RC to stay sober damn it? Cut him off,let the other guys drink.:drunk

Budkin
04-18-2019, 04:11 PM
So basically we can be assured that as long as Pop can write off his binge drinking as a "work expense" he'll continue to coach? Gotta love those hypocritical liberals.

It must feel horrible to be such an insufferable human being. Get therapy.

exstatic
04-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Wonderful article about Popovich from ESPN.

Long article about Popovich from ESPN.Unrelated to basketball though.It's great that the Spurs coach as a GOAT coaching figure can inspire such stories about dinners,food,wine and team,family culture,it really is.
But it also kinda makes me feel sad,as if we're a basketball afterthought and our culture is the only thing that is relevant.

Anyways i'm just gonna highlight this part

BY NOW, YOU'RE perhaps wondering something along the lines of: Who the hell pays for all this? How much does it cost? And how can I jump on this gravy train?
If so, know this: At the end of the night, Popovich picks up the tab -- always -- including for former Spurs who happen to be in the same restaurant, even if they're not in his group.
Well Pop,if you are paying for everybody's wine,how the hell do you expect RC to stay sober damn it? Cut him off,let the other guys drink.:drunk

Then he tells McHugh a story about how many years ago, he had a group in from Argentina and, "I blew 'em away, and we wined 'em, we dined 'em. We gave them photo ops. We gave 'em everything they wanted." And how years later, when a kid named Manu Ginobili came onto the scene, "that's how we found out about Manu, when nobody else knew about him."

superbigtime
04-18-2019, 04:30 PM

go die and rot

weebo
04-18-2019, 04:43 PM

Just enjoy reading the article and stop being such a whiny bitch. smh

ZeusWillJudge
04-18-2019, 04:48 PM
Reading that Brett Brown article, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have found guys like Embiid or Ben Simmons that way. So it says a lot about how the Spurs have had a lot of "character guys" who may not have been the most athletic. But if you're going that route, it also says a lot for how important it is to have a GOAT like Tim Duncan as an anchor.

MoSpur02
04-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Very good info and stories in this article.

RC_Drunkford
04-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Nice article, but it does make Pop seem like he drunk all the time:rollin
I know it's probably not like that, but especially the part of him having cases of wine in his office leaves room for interpretation

Kobe'sAchilles
04-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Rich people are called wine connoisseurs but us non-millionaires call it being an alcoholic:lol

wildbill2u
04-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Everybody knows Pop is a different breed of coach who is able to develop strong friendships with players, front office guys, opponents, former players and coaches, etc. despite his outward shell of sly superiority. This is a great article about the fabled Pop dinners where the Spurs family comes together as individuals as well as team members.No doubt some haters will make snide remarks but the results over the years in building a Spurs culture that is known and respected throughout the NBA make their feeble attempts to detract from Pop's personal people skills are shown for what they are--the bleating of unsuccessful sheep.

Seventyniner
04-18-2019, 06:04 PM
This article is fantastic. Top-notch.

It also gives some indirect insight into Pop's front office role, how he wants his teams built. Can you imagine him trying to coach someone like Iverson, who would have just blown off every one of these dinners? Even LeBron would have gotten tired of them after the first few. The ideal of building a team of players who have "gotten over themselves" pervades the entire organization.

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-18-2019, 07:52 PM

:lmao