PDA

View Full Version : And some of y'all want to tank...

Immortal Spur
04-18-2019, 10:30 PM
Trust the Process
R-E-L-A-X

If White stays healthy and builds off this...
If one of Walker or Murray turns out...

We could have a dynasty again.

Murray would be the decisive factor in this series. We desperately need a guard so the Gary Harris's of the world don't go off. We'll get exposed against a complete team but we are really close!

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 09:33 AM
and we got 2 picks in this draft

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 09:37 AM
There's no point in tanking. It just brings years of misery most of the time.

Philthemage
04-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Rebuilding year, we are in the playoffs up 2-1 despite the world thinking we wouldn't even make it here.

We've got young guys on the up. White, Murray, Walker, Poetl and two first rounders. Any other team would love to be in this position let alone in a rebuilding year.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-19-2019, 10:37 AM
I think for some in here winning is a disappointment, because then they can't use the Spurs struggles to vicariously vent their frustration with their own miserable lives.

jjktkk
04-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Philly tanked for years and their still an incomplete team. How many wasted lottery picks did the 76ers screw up on and the picks they did hit ln, Embid and Simmons, don't mesh together at all on the court.

illusioNtEk
04-19-2019, 10:40 AM
We don't tank, we reload

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 10:41 AM
I think for some in here winning is a disappointment, because then they can't use the Spurs struggles to vicariously vent their frustration with their own miserable lives.

Chucho
04-19-2019, 10:43 AM
SpursTalk Experts; "The best opinions ALWAYS. Now with the benefit of Hindsight®"™

Chucho
04-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Post of the Year so far.

JeffDuncan
04-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Things sure have changed since November.

ducks
04-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Spurs front office needed to know what they had with players in biggest lights

jjktkk
04-19-2019, 10:56 AM
I think for some in here winning is a disappointment, because then they can't use the Spurs struggles to vicariously vent their frustration with their own miserable lives.Agree. Some of these dipshits just post stupid shit for a reaction. And then there are some that ,unfortunately, are just not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. For a Spurs team that has lost 4 hall of famers, .this is a pretty decent team PATFO has put together, Gasol and Patty excluded

alpha_HaZE
04-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Trust the Process
R-E-L-A-X

If White stays healthy and builds off this...
If one of Walker or Murray turns out...

We could have a dynasty again.

Murray would be the decisive factor in this series. We desperately need a guard so the Gary Harris's of the world don't go off. We'll get exposed against a complete team but we are really close!

My friend, in the last few years we went from Championship or bust to celebrating the possibility of not being eliminated in Rd 1. Regardless of what White, DJ or Lonnie do we have very few chance competing with the likes of GSW, MIL, HOU or TOR.

But I agree with you in the sense that this year's team is fun to watch, probably to most fun since 2014.

R. DeMurre
04-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Kobe'sAchilles
04-19-2019, 11:05 AM
If it meant Zion then I'm all in for tanking!

But I would love for this team to make the WCF. it would shut up all the haters and doubters. Plus any playoff experience for White/Jakob will only help us in the long run.

tknapp777
04-19-2019, 11:09 AM
I hate Pop half the time and marvel at his genius the other half. We are the most spoiled modern fan base in history (along with New England). You’re wrong though - if DJ is what he was supposed to be this year without injury we would be right up there with GS, Toronto and Milwaukee - better than Houston.

timtonymanu
04-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Spurs were lucky it was a down year for the West. Gone are the days of getting 50 wins in the West to make the playoffs so they look in turn look more solid than they actually are.

Not to discredit them completely though, if you told me Derrick white was gonna be this good in his second year, I would have felt so much better about the Spurs post-Nephew.

Proxy
04-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 11:25 AM
You think the takes are bad in here when we are the 7th seed? Wait till we miss the playoffs, will be epic trolling

jjktkk
04-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Spurs were lucky it was a down year for the West. Gone are the days of getting 50 wins in the West to make the playoffs so they look in turn look more solid than they actually are.

Not to discredit them completely though, if you told me Derrick white was gonna be this good in his second year, I would have felt so much better about the Spurs post-Nephew.

Given Tim and Manu retiring, and Tony being traded and Leonard forcing the Spurs to trade him, what exactly where your expectations with this team?

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Given Tim and Manu retiring, and Tony being traded and Leonard forcing the Spurs to trade him, what exactly where your expectations with this team?

right?! And people want to get rid of Pop. This is one of his best coached seasons, it’s gonna be a dark day when he decides to quit. I know we all question him sometimes, my self included, but he is one of the goats.

DC23
04-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Philly tanked for years and their still an incomplete team. How many wasted lottery picks did the 76ers screw up on and the picks they did hit ln, Embid and Simmons, don't mesh together at all on the court.

Not to mention Embid is always "sore" and injured. He only played 8 regular season games since the All-Star game.

The Lakers will be better next year and make the playoffs. The Suns, Mavs, and Kings will all be better but still not playoff ready. Depending on how free agency goes for the Clippers they could be a better team as well. With all this being said I think the Spurs do need to upgrade their roster during the offseason. Pop has never been known to go after top tier all-stars but maybe there are a couple upcoming free agents worth pursuing?

Harry Callahan
04-19-2019, 11:40 AM
There were a few bad performances this year, a lot of them happening when White was hurt and DeRozan worn down.

D. White by himself makes this season way more enjoyable.

If the Spurs had not fallen asleep (the bench mostly) for a quarter, the Spurs would be trying to close this out Saturday night.

Beating Denver would be a huge accomplishment this year. That bunch from Denver is not a bunch of chumps. They are a very good team.

John B
04-19-2019, 11:41 AM

I don’t agree. We have number 7 Clippers giving blessed Dubs a run for their money. We at number 7 can arguably beat any team (and has beaten the best teams in the regular season). MVP candidate and former MVP in 6th place. The West is still very competitive, and East number 2-4 just got a little better.

Again we can’t give enough credit to Spurs development team. Picking the right player is one thing, but helping mold that guy to his best potential is another. Every year. Spurs fan are spoiled and rotten spoiled tbh.

KDKSpurs24
04-19-2019, 12:51 PM

I never understood that this was the 100% explanation for the logic that less wins per conference = down year. To me it can also mean that the competition throughout the league is becoming more evened out. And at the end of the day I thought most people wanted more parity in the league?

Immortal Spur
04-19-2019, 12:55 PM
I never understood that this was the 100% explanation for the logic that less wins per conference = down year. To me it can also mean that the competition throughout the league is becoming more evened out. And at the end of the day I thought most people wanted more parity in the league?
I agree 100%. and if durant leaves warriors the league is pretty much wide open imo

spursistan
04-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Chill, we lucked into playing one of the worst second seeds in the West in a long time :lol..

Would have been a curbstomping sweep vs the Warriors/Rockets and Guests probably beat us in 6..

spurs1990
04-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Would like to see Coach Bud come back once Gregg hangs it up to keep the system in place

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2019, 01:02 PM

Yeah, it couldn't be that some people analyzed the roster and cap situation, and saw a 1 year tank as the quickest way to get a talent infusion to get themselves back into serious contention for the LOB. It must be some weird sort of psychological mother-hating cry for help.

Buncha cocks crowing on a dunghill in this thread. I'd almost guarantee some of the same people were melting down after that Game 2 loss in Denver. Hindsight makes geniuses out of a lot of shoe clerks, and the internet makes lions out of a lot of mice. Present company excluded, of course.

acoelho1
04-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Just imagine for a second if we close out Denver, I think we would beat the Blazers or Thunder to face possibly the Rockets in the WCF. The way they have been playing, I think they beat the Warriors in the 2nd round and spurstalk would lose their mind if we make it to the finals against the Raptors haha. One can only dream.

JPB
04-19-2019, 01:14 PM

All the west PO teams won at least 48 games this year...

Immortal Spur
04-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Chill, we lucked into playing one of the worst second seeds in the West in a long time :lol..

Would have been a curbstomping sweep vs the Warriors/Rockets and Guests probably beat us in 6..
the basis of this thread is the proposition of a couple of our younger players turning out and what that could mean for our future... what are you going on about?
obviously we would get stamped. White is reason for hope and excitement as well as Murray and Walker, not to mention our two first rounders. Basically in a Boston lite position going forward with the wealth of young talent.

John B
04-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Blazers are next.

rogcl1
04-19-2019, 01:45 PM

rogcl1
04-19-2019, 01:47 PM

Maddog
04-19-2019, 03:22 PM
Prime example.
Look at GS-
They had years of lottery picks before they hit gold with Curry and to a lesser degree Thompson.
Boston has had a multiple prime draft picks and cap space to sign or absorb through trade - yet they seem far from a title contender.
Of course there is the example of Sacramento......

I'm still on the fence- about whether it was better to tank or go with the current strategy- but tanking is definitely not a guarantee and can be quite painful.

My friend, in the last few years we went from Championship or bust to celebrating the possibility of not being eliminated in Rd 1. Regardless of what White, DJ or Lonnie do we have very few chance competing with the likes of GSW, MIL, HOU or TOR.

But I agree with you in the sense that this year's team is fun to watch, probably to most fun since 2014.

I think the most disappointing part is that the Spurs came very close to remaining at least a borderline championship contender without having to tank. Or least most of thought that-who knows maybe the Nephew has been planning his escape for several years.

The next few years will be very interesting. LMA is 33 and only next year is fully guaranteed, DDR turns 30 over the summer on board for two more so not terrible.
While White, Dejounte, Poodle, Walker etc are all intriguing- I still don't see a way this combination becomes even an outside contender in the next 5 years.

BackHome
04-19-2019, 07:33 PM
I am not afraid to say I was on the one year tank cause early on we we’re playing like crap and loosing bad. But have never been let’s trade our all stars and break up team that is crazy as I think we just need maybe one good SF away from being true contenders.

offset formation
04-19-2019, 07:40 PM

Arcadian
04-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Tanking is stupid, but "dynasty"? Really?

Don't counter one extreme with another.

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 08:42 PM

the west was blood bath this year with 14 out of 15 teams tryin to make the playoffs and the Spurs only lost 9 more games than Golden State. Add to that that about 10 of them were against bottom tier teams that the Spurs could've easily won (Bulls game at home, Memphis game where LA gets fouled on a 3, etc., etc.) and that's a good result especially with your starting PG being out for the season. If they reach the WCF this season is a success

rascal
04-19-2019, 10:05 PM
There's no point in tanking. It just brings years of misery most of the time.

Tanking got the spurs in a better position to land Duncan

rascal
04-19-2019, 10:11 PM
the basis of this thread is the proposition of a couple of our younger players turning out and what that could mean for our future... what are you going on about?
obviously we would get stamped. White is reason for hope and excitement as well as Murray and Walker, not to mention our two first rounders. Basically in a Boston lite position going forward with the wealth of young talent.

They might not even keep the 29th pick. It wouldn't be a surprise if they trade it away so not to pay the guaranteed contract.

rascal
04-19-2019, 10:13 PM
Just imagine for a second if we close out Denver, I think we would beat the Blazers or Thunder to face possibly the Rockets in the WCF. The way they have been playing, I think they beat the Warriors in the 2nd round and spurstalk would lose their mind if we make it to the finals against the Raptors haha. One can only dream.

If the Rockets beat GS they are not losing to the Spurs.

cool cat
04-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Damn, post of the year for sure.

rascal
04-19-2019, 10:21 PM
It is going to be a very very long time before the Spurs are in the finals again.

It wasn't until Duncan came that the Spurs were able to reach the finals and it is going to take another top level player like Duncan to get there again. It is going to take at least one year and likely more in the lottery to get that type of player.

$pursDynasty
04-19-2019, 11:19 PM
If the Rockets beat GS they are not losing to the Spurs.
IF they beat the Dubs, it might be just about the time for the annual CP0 playoff ending injury, and the annual Harden playoff disappearing act, so who knows?

MannyIsGod
04-19-2019, 11:19 PM

God damn if this isn't the truth.

MannyIsGod
04-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Tanking got the spurs in a better position to land Duncan

Except they didn't tank at all. That year was just brutal on the injury front. Robinson out to start the year, then comes back and almost immediately breaks his foot. There were games that year where the Spurs barely suited up 8 because of the injuries they had. It was so bad an ancient and fat Dominique was putting up 20+ PPG as the Spurs had no one else to get buckets.

Keepin' it real
04-20-2019, 12:37 AM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/58802934/ouch-baby-very-ouch.jpg

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-20-2019, 02:36 AM
Except they didn't tank at all. That year was just brutal on the injury front. Robinson out to start the year, then comes back and almost immediately breaks his foot. There were games that year where the Spurs barely suited up 8 because of the injuries they had. It was so bad an ancient and fat Dominique was putting up 20+ PPG as the Spurs had no one else to get buckets.

But but but.. they should have brought their franchise 7-footer back early from a broken foot injury so that they'd win a couple more games! #SpursTanked

vander
04-20-2019, 03:14 AM
Wonder how long the playoff streak will go now, at least 30 years right?

JeffDuncan
04-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Wonder how long the playoff streak will go now, at least 30 years right?

Into the infinite future. Well, they say the sun will explode in about 4 billion years. That could end the playoff streak, unless the franchise moves.

monty4329
04-20-2019, 09:44 AM

And people here still question RC and Pop off court decisions...

Spurs Homer
04-20-2019, 11:24 AM

as everyone else has already pointed out ^ this

jjktkk
04-20-2019, 11:34 AM
And people here still question RC and Pop off court decisions...

You can definitely criticize them for the shitty contracts of Gasol and Mills, but as far as their drafting acumen, their the best in the league imo. Besides the dumbasses on here that go way overboard with their "PATCO sucks", "Pop sucks, is senile", etc... schtick, they do it for reaction on here. None of them would spew their nonsense in public, for fear of getting laughed at and ridiculed mercilessly.

monty4329
04-20-2019, 12:27 PM
You can definitely criticize them for the shitty contracts of Gasol and Mills, but as far as their drafting acumen, their the best in the league imo. Besides the dumbasses on here that go way overboard with their "PATCO sucks", "Pop sucks, is senile", etc... schtick, they do it for reaction on here. None of them would spew their nonsense in public, for fear of getting laughed at and ridiculed mercilessly.

I certainly criticize some contracts, some choices, some picks. Also I am very critical of some on court decisions by Pop. But one thing I consider blasphemy is to attack them because they don't tank. Besides being a LOSER's strategy, it doesn't work. As you pointed out in your previous comment.

There's people here that thinks 5 spots up would grant SA the new Admiral, every year, if they were making the picks... :lmao

alpha_HaZE
04-20-2019, 03:47 PM
I think the most disappointing part is that the Spurs came very close to remaining at least a borderline championship contender without having to tank. Or least most of thought that-who knows maybe the Nephew has been planning his escape for several years.

The next few years will be very interesting. LMA is 33 and only next year is fully guaranteed, DDR turns 30 over the summer on board for two more so not terrible.
While White, Dejounte, Poodle, Walker etc are all intriguing- I still don't see a way this combination becomes even an outside contender in the next 5 years.

I don't think Kawhi planned his escape for years, but was open to it, as we all witnessed. I think what happened, is what Pop jokingly said about Derrick; that he shouldn't play until they write a new contract for him. Kawhi wanted a new contract, Spurs wanted to see him play and healthy and the whole thing exploded.

My secret hope is to get POR in Rd2, beat them, and then trade LA for Nurkic and fillers. LA said he wants to end his career in Portland, he will also get his 15% trade kicker and Blazers will probably pay him the last year of his contract. With the money we save we might be able to add one more piece that will put us over the top and become contenders again.

But, overall, I agree with your assessment it will probably take some time until we are contenders again.

tonight...you
04-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Want to tank?
No no no... want A tank.
I want a tank, not to tank.

rascal
04-20-2019, 03:56 PM

Yes they did and I am happy they did. I remember following it and hoping they would do the smart thing and not play Robinson to have the better chance to get Duncan. Everyone knew Duncan was a franchise changing player so there was no sense playing Robinson, who was cleared to play the last month of the season to get a few more wins and decrease the odds of getting the top pick. Yes, the class act Spurs( corny belief by Spur fans) tanked.

Mugen
04-20-2019, 07:39 PM
When's the "Won 2 games in the 1st round" banner going up?

:lmao

Robz4000
04-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Assuming they go on to lose this series, yes.

Immortal Spur
04-20-2019, 07:42 PM
When's the "Won 2 games in the 1st round" banner going up?

:lmao
I have no idea why posters like you get so active when we lose... why would you ever like to be like that... it’s seriously depressing. I use to think y’all were trolls but you actually just live life like that. Mature up bro fr

Mugen
04-20-2019, 07:44 PM
My thread :cry

Immortal Spur
04-20-2019, 07:48 PM
I don’t care my man... I hardly post anymore anyhow. It’s just sad y’all never change and are exactly the same things you criticize. Call our cancers and then be cancers yourself. It’s hypocrisy.

Mugen
04-20-2019, 07:51 PM
I don’t care my man... I hardly post anymore anyhow. It’s just sad y’all never change and are exactly the same things you criticize. Call our cancers and then be cancers yourself. It’s hypocrisy.

:lol I'm just fucking with you, bruh. You seem like an emotional guy so don't take it too personal.

Sure the two wins this series are nice so if you take great pride and joy in those wins, I'm not taking that away from you.

There are obviously posters on the board who think the team and Pop should never be criticized and that's fine tbh....

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 07:53 PM
It’s way better watching your team in the playoffs than not. This has been a decent series and been fun.

rascal
04-20-2019, 07:54 PM

y'all lol
Just use you. You can be plural, you do know that.

Mugen
04-20-2019, 07:55 PM
It’s way better watching your team in the playoffs than not. This has been a decent series and been fun.

Sure, the wins have been fun.

But after they're gone in 6 games by next weekend, I'd rather have moved up the draft 2-3 spots tbh. (more if they could have tanked properly)

rascal
04-20-2019, 07:55 PM

I'd rather watch the spurs in the draft lottery and watch them on draft day with a lottery pick because that is how they are going to improve.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 07:57 PM
I'd rather watch the spurs in the draft lottery and watch them on draft day with a lottery pick because that is how they are going to improve.

This has been hashed out so many times; there is no guarantee of anything in the draft and Spurs have been just fine drafting where they have been; while winning.

Mugen
04-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Pretty sure most of the fans on this board would rather have a 7th seed and a first round loss than a top 5 pick in a draft.

Crazy to me but that's what happens when a team is the only game in town where there's nothing to do after basketball season is over tbh.

rascal
04-20-2019, 08:00 PM
This has been hashed out so many times; there is no guarantee of anything in the draft and Spurs have been just fine drafting where they have been; while winning.

They were fine with Duncan on the team and drafting late, no more. They need a star quality impact addition to the roster and it is going to take a high lottery pick to get one.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:01 PM
They were fine with Duncan on the team and drafting late, no more. They need a star quality impact addition to the roster and it is going to take a high lottery pick to get one.

Ask the Lakers how that goes. CLE post-Bron. PHX. Could go on forever.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Pretty sure most of the fans on this board would rather have a 7th seed and a first round loss than a top 5 pick in a draft.

Crazy to me but that's what happens when a team is the only game in town where there's nothing to do after basketball season is over tbh.

If your team is good enough to be a playoff team of course. It’s not like teams that are playoff teams just decide to tank to the tune of 30 wins for a year so they can land a top 5 pick and then go right back to being a 50 win team :lol

Immortal Spur
04-20-2019, 08:03 PM
:lol I'm just fucking with you, bruh. You seem like an emotional guy so don't take it too personal.

Sure the two wins this series are nice so if you take great pride and joy in those wins, I'm not taking that away from you.

There are obviously posters on the board who think the team and Pop should never be criticized and that's fine tbh....
I’m sorry man but you hurt me deeply and I’m not gonna let you finesse me with your wit and charm.

rascal
04-20-2019, 08:05 PM

It goes great. That is how they got Magic Johnson and Cleveland got LeBron. PHX is turning their team around with these high draft picks they will be on the rise in a couple of years while the Spurs are declining.

Mugen
04-20-2019, 08:05 PM
I’m sorry man but you hurt me deeply and I’m not gonna let you finesse me with your wit and charm.

Cheers, my dude. Happy Easter! GSG

Mugen
04-20-2019, 08:07 PM
The organization literally only does one thing well in the offseason and the fat fans don't want to arm them with as many bullets in the chamber as possible just so they could scarf down some churros at the arena a couple of times during the playoffs, boggles my mind :lol

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:09 PM
It goes great. That is how they got Magic Johnson and Cleveland got LeBron. PHX is turning their team around with these high draft picks they will be on the rise in a couple of years while the Spurs are declining.

:lol Lakers have not made the playoffs in 6 years with all their top 5 picks :lol

slick'81
04-20-2019, 08:10 PM
People are way to comfident right now

HarlemHeat37

:lol when did that begin?

DPG21920

Also be on the rise in a couple years. They have been getting a bunch of top picks for going on 7 years now, not enough time to rise :lol?

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:12 PM
The organization literally only does one thing well in the offseason and the fat fans don't want to arm them with as many bullets in the chamber as possible just so they could scarf down some churros at the arena a couple of times during the playoffs, boggles my mind :lol

Bruh, if they were going to be bad, then sure, be bad. But again, 50 win teams can’t tank lol. It’s not like GS is going to say “hey, we are losing KD next season, so let’s lose games on purpose so we can add Zion the following year and go right back to winning!”

tonight...you
04-20-2019, 08:12 PM
He'd rather Monty Williams coach this team.
Maybe Tye Lue...

Robz4000
04-20-2019, 08:13 PM

Need to keep in mind those teams have had people like fucking Magic Johnson making their picks while the Spurs have RC Buford.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Need to keep in mind those teams have had people like fucking Magic Johnson making their picks while the Spurs have RC Buford.

Doesn’t matter; would RC do better than them? Sure. But it’s not like there is a guaranteed Duncan/Lebron in every draft. Most of the teams with top 5 picks the past 6-8 years still suck even though they get multiple of them.

Robz4000
04-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Doesn’t matter; would RC do better than them? Sure. But it’s not like there is a guaranteed Duncan/Lebron in every draft. Most of the teams with top 5 picks the past 6-8 years still suck even though they get multiple of them.

Spurs could've unloaded DDR, let LMA get his touches, and had White, Walker, and the other young players get experience to the tune of 26 wins then ended up with a top 10 pick to add to White/Murray/Walker/LMA next season. That pick doesn't need to be a Lebron/Duncan for this team to win 50 next year and have a punchers chance of contending.

gambit1990
04-20-2019, 08:25 PM
the talk downplaying a higher pick is ridiculous :lol

DPG21920
Spurs could've unloaded DDR, let LMA get his touches, and had White, Walker, and the other young players get experience to the tune of 26 wins then ended up with a top 10 pick to add to White/Murray/Walker/LMA next season. That pick doesn't need to be a Lebron/Duncan for this team to win 50 next year and have a punchers chance of contending.

This doesn’t make sense. SA won 48 wins this year; why would you do what you are saying for the off chance that maybe you can get 2 more wins?

The hard thing is building a 50 win team; SA has done that and don’t need to tank to do so.

DPG21920
the talk downplaying a higher pick is ridiculous :lol

Who is downplaying a higher pick?

Robz4000
04-20-2019, 08:32 PM
This doesn’t make sense. SA won 48 wins this year; why would you do what you are saying for the off chance that maybe you can get 2 more wins?

The hard thing is building a 50 win team; SA has done that and don’t need to tank to do so.

No, I'm saying this team has no chance at contending now or in the near future but a team of Murray/White/Walker/LMA/Top 10 pick and pieces does. Both have the potential for 50 wins but the latter could actually contend.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:36 PM
No, I'm saying this team has no chance at contending now or in the near future but a team of Murray/White/Walker/LMA/Top 10 pick and pieces does. Both have the potential for 50 wins but the latter could actually contend.

It’s not an option. LMA, as we saw without Kawhi last year, is too good to truly tank. There was no scenario where this makes sense.

Spurs absolutely can contend (to me that means you have a shot at WCF). They were good this year, already have guys like White/Lonnie/Murray coming into the fold and have free agency and draft to add to this team. It’s already right there.

I’m not saying DeRozan is untradable or that I would be mad if they moved him; I’m saying the team is good and good teams can’t tank. I am also saying that many times the difference in pick 10 and pick 19 isn’t that much. Sometimes it is, but most times it turns out not to be.

Spurs have everything you mentioned except the top 10 pick and that pick vs what the spurs have is no where near the difference in being a contender and not. If you believe that LMA/Murray/White/Lonnie is a core that can contend, SA has that core with DeRozan.

Robz4000
04-20-2019, 08:50 PM
It’s not an option. LMA, as we saw without Kawhi last year, is too good to truly tank. There was no scenario where this makes sense.

Spurs absolutely can contend (to me that means you have a shot at WCF). They were good this year, already have guys like White/Lonnie/Murray coming into the fold and have free agency and draft to add to this team. It’s already right there.

I’m not saying DeRozan is untradable or that I would be mad if they moved him; I’m saying the team is good and good teams can’t tank. I am also saying that many times the difference in pick 10 and pick 19 isn’t that much. Sometimes it is, but most times it turns out not to be.

Spurs have everything you mentioned except the top 10 pick and that pick vs what the spurs have is no where near the difference in being a contender and not. If you believe that LMA/Murray/White/Lonnie is a core that can contend, SA has that core with DeRozan.

The Spurs had the best defense in the league last year that helped win 47 games. Not so this year.

Not sure what the Spurs can add in FA this year with limited cap space, but they lucked out this year with the seeding. If they had gotten GS or HOU they'd be getting swept out of the postseason. Considering those are the two teams they need to compete with to win the West I'd say they're not contending.

The fit with Murray/DDR is going to be awkward at best and impossible at worst, so moving on from DDR seems like an inevitability at this point (might be inevitable regardless since DDR might not wanna be here in SA). The difference between the 10th and 19th is huge, whether you have RC making the pick or the Spurs trading it with other assets for a higher pick or big name player.

The LMA/Murray/White/Walker core right now isn't a contender, but getting another high level prospect and internal growth from the young players can get them there. DDR is what he is and, as I said, is a poor fit next to the other players right now. Even assuming Murray develops off-ball skills and shooting to be able to play alongside DDR competently, DDR's salary may keep the Spurs from retaining him while they end up losing DDR himself the following season.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:54 PM
If the Spurs got GS or HOU....well yeah. IF Sa just had Murray this year they are like a 52-54 win team and still would not be getting GS or HOU.

And there is zero chance sa loses Murray because of DeRozan’s money.

Keepin' it real
04-20-2019, 08:55 PM
And some of y'all want to tank

We did, and we still do.

rascal
04-20-2019, 09:12 PM
:lol when did that begin?

I like Ayton and Mikal Bridges and they are in a good position to add Zion to that young team so they will be on the rise.

I would trade the Spurs roster for Phoenix's right now and add their lottery pick this year. They are a young team and will be on the rise while the Spurs will be in free fall.

rascal
04-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Who is downplaying a higher pick?

You

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 09:16 PM
You

No. I’m downplaying people who think the spurs should be more like the suns or lakers :lol

rascal
04-20-2019, 09:20 PM
No. I’m downplaying people who think the spurs should be more like the suns or lakers :lol

You are moving the goal posts. This is about the Spurs getting their own high draft pick and nothing about comparing the spurs with any other teams.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 09:23 PM
You are moving the goal posts. This is about the Spurs getting their own high draft pick and nothing about comparing the spurs with any other teams.

I dont think you understand what moving the goalposts means tbh..

rascal
04-20-2019, 09:32 PM
I dont think you understand what moving the goalposts means tbh..

You downplayed the importance of building a team with top lottery draft picks. Then you denied that you downplayed the importance of high lottery picks by saying people want The Spurs to be like other teams.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 09:33 PM
You downplayed the importance of building a team with top lottery draft picks. Then you denied that you downplayed the importance of high lottery picks by saying people want The Spurs to be like other teams.

Lol no.

gambit1990
04-20-2019, 09:35 PM

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Lol gambitt and rascal together. Perfect.

tonight...you
04-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Lol gambitt and rascal together. Perfect.
That's like arguing for real with a WWE tag team.

Good luck!

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:05 PM
You gays do realize you're arguing about the wrong thing? Tanking this year wouldn't have fixed the cap hell the team is in. The time for that passed well before this season even started.

The reason this argument will never stop is because there are some people who think that just making it into the playoffs is a worthwhile goal. For them, taking a rebuild year is never an option. As long as they are willing to accept that, Pop can keep them in the playoffs indefinitely. There are other people who believe that winning a championship is the only reason to play the game. So angling for a top talent in the lottery is necessary in times like this.

Just identify which camp you're in, and we can cut and paste all your arguments and save us all a lot of time.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 10:20 PM
You gays do realize you're arguing about the wrong thing? Tanking this year wouldn't have fixed the cap hell the team is in. The time for that passed well before this season even started.

The reason this argument will never stop is because there are some people who think that just making it into the playoffs is a worthwhile goal. For them, taking a rebuild year is never an option. As long as they are willing to accept that, Pop can keep them in the playoffs indefinitely. There are other people who believe that winning a championship is the only reason to play the game. So angling for a top talent in the lottery is necessary in times like this.

Just identify which camp you're in, and we can cut and paste all your arguments and save us all a lot of time.

This is what I am arguing about. This sentiment right there. You don’t get to chose a “rebuild” year. You are either good enough to fight for a playoff spot or you are not.

Everyone acting like teams can just arbitrarily have 1 “rebuild” year or tank for just one year, then go right back to 50 wins sound crazy. It doesnt work like that.

As long as SA has LMA and then traded for DeRozan, that “tank” was no longer on the table. They were damn near a 50 win team despite a key injury to Murray and they can’t just flip the tank switch.

If you want to argue that they should sell LMA and DeRozan thats fine, but you cannot say that this team can tank and then you get to add a top pick to the core of LMA + others. It’s literally not a possibility in the real world.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:26 PM
You are either good enough to fight for a playoff spot or you are not.

There. Now I know which camp you're in. You're one of the ones who think squeaking into the playoffs is enough.

Now that I know, I can just cut and past your arguments from the list. Rinse and repeat.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2019, 10:27 PM

That's not at all what he said. DPG is simply trying to point out that the goal of tanking is to put together a team that is capable of contending. The Spurs are on the cusp of that WITHOUT tanking so why would they ever tank? Who's the last team that intentionally tanked and won an NBA title?

I honestly can't think of one.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2019, 10:31 PM
Yes they did and I am happy they did. I remember following it and hoping they would do the smart thing and not play Robinson to have the better chance to get Duncan. Everyone knew Duncan was a franchise changing player so there was no sense playing Robinson, who was cleared to play the last month of the season to get a few more wins and decrease the odds of getting the top pick. Yes, the class act Spurs( corny belief by Spur fans) tanked.

Sitting out your star coming back in the final weeks of the season when you have no hope of making the playoffs isn't tanking. Its not risking his health for no reason. There's a big difference between cleared to play and 100%

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 10:32 PM
That's not at all what he said. DPG is simply trying to point out that the goal of tanking is to put together a team that is capable of contending. The Spurs are on the cusp of that WITHOUT tanking so why would they ever tank? Who's the last team that intentionally tanked and won an NBA title?

I honestly can't think of one.

And even beyond that, tanking is mostly not a choice. Teams that tank are already bad; SA very clearly isn’t there. So as this team is currently constructed it’s not even possible.

If you want to trade LMA/DeRozan and start over that’s another thing (I think that is silly because SA is already good with room to plan/grow the next 2 years) but that is not what people are saying.

They are saying THIS current team should have tanked like it’s just some choice good teams make to game the system and land top 10 draft picks while already having a 50-win caliber team.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2019, 10:33 PM
This is what I am arguing about. This sentiment right there. You don’t get to chose a “rebuild” year. You are either good enough to fight for a playoff spot or you are not.

Everyone acting like teams can just arbitrarily have 1 “rebuild” year or tank for just one year, then go right back to 50 wins sound crazy. It doesnt work like that.

As long as SA has LMA and then traded for DeRozan, that “tank” was no longer on the table. They were damn near a 50 win team despite a key injury to Murray and they can’t just flip the tank switch.

If you want to argue that they should sell LMA and DeRozan thats fine, but you cannot say that this team can tank and then you get to add a top pick to the core of LMA + others. It’s literally not a possibility in the real world.

Some people act like the transition to being a championship team from a lottery team is easy and ignore how long teams like Philly have been bad (and they're still not really much better than the Spurs).

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Some people act like the transition to being a championship team from a lottery team is easy and ignore how long teams like Philly have been bad (and they're still not really much better than the Spurs).

I mean, you think they would get it when even in their examples the cite teams like Lakers and Suns who have had tons of top 5 picks and still can’t make the playoffs in over 6 years :lol.

Like what happened if its so easy to just tank, get great picks, then go right back to winning. I mean, if it’s just a “rebuild year” as in singular, why are these teams still so sucky?

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:47 PM
I mean, you think they would get it when even in their examples the cite teams like Lakers and Suns who have had tons of top 5 picks and still can’t make the playoffs in over 6 years :lol.

Like what happened if its so easy to just tank, get great picks, then go right back to winning. I mean, if it’s just a “rebuild year” as in singular, why are these teams still so sucky?

If the roster stayed fundamentally the same, but after 1 year they get to add a lottery-caliber talent... do you think it would make them better or worse? As good as the Spurs have been with late picks, they should really be able to maximize the value of a lottery pick. Who said anything about dismantling?

But that's not even the point:

Everyone who thinks that just making the playoffs is a good enough goal says that tanking is bad. And they are correct.

Everyone who thinks that being a serious contender to win a championship is the only worthwhile goal says that tanking can be worthwhile. And they are also correct.

It's not a matter of moving goal posts. It's two different playing fields. And you're never going to agree. If you want to change anyone's mind, you have to convince them that playing a whole season for a likely first round exit is good enough. Unless you can sell the fairy tale that, "One of these days, an 8 seed is going to win the LOB." But this other argument is just going to go on, and on, and on. Because you don't even have the same goal posts.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 10:50 PM
If the roster stayed fundamentally the same, but after 1 year they get to add a lottery-caliber talent... do you think it would make them better or worse? As good as the Spurs have been with late picks, they should really be able to maximize the value of a lottery pick. Who said anything about dismantling?

But that's not even the point:

Everyone who thinks that just making the playoffs is a good enough goal says that tanking is bad. And they are correct.

Everyone who thinks that being a serious contender to win a championship is the only worthwhile goal says that tanking can be worthwhile. And they are also correct.

It's not a matter of moving goal posts. It's two different playing fields. And you're never going to agree. If you want to change anyone's mind, you have to convince them that playing a whole season for a likely first round exit is good enough. Unless you can sell the fairy tale that, "One of these days, an 8 seed is going to win the LOB." But this other argument is just going to go on, and on, and on. Because you don't even have the same goal posts.

I don’t know what you are going on about. The only thing that is the argument is how can the roster stay fundamentally the same while also adding a lottery caliber talent?

Thats it. It’s not about anything else. It’s how in the real world can you have this roster while adding a lottery caliber talent?

$pursDynasty
04-20-2019, 10:57 PM
I don't know how a high lottery player would work on the Spurs. Can you imagine Zion or Doncic living in GLeague exile their rookie year and living off Metu like minutes? They might hold out because while it would be good for them in the long run, one and dones don't play the long game.Jah Morrant types don't want to be Spurs, just like Lebron doesn't despite how much he would have you believe otherwise.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:59 PM
I don’t know what you are going on about. The only thing that is the argument is how can the roster stay fundamentally the same while also adding a lottery caliber talent?

Thats it. It’s not about anything else. It’s how in the real world can you have this roster while adding a lottery caliber talent?

Fundamentally the same, is what I said. So how about this:

Clear cap space by not overpaying for Pau and Patty. How am I doing so far?

Start some of the young players, give them a chance to develop, knowing that it's going to lose some games, but will make you better next season. If not start, then at least give them MUCH bigger minutes, for the same reasons.

Get buy-in from (some of) the current starters, by making sure that they understand that you have a SOLID plan to put a championship contending team on the floor in one season. (Because I know that the argument will be that guys like Aldridge and DDR would mutiny.) There have been LOTS of guys who went to teams because the FO sold them on a near-term plan for the future. No reason why those wouldn't have stayed for the same reason.

Lose just a few more games than they did with this roster, and you get ping pong balls. Lose a few more and you have a reasonable chance at a top 10 pick.

The next year, you have DDR and Aldridge, and a bunch of much better seasoned youngs. (A whole season starting would have made a BIG difference to Poeltl, just as one example.) Plus you have some cap flexibility. AND you have a good shot at a top-tier rookie.

If you say ANY of that wouldn't have worked, you're splitting hairs.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 11:09 PM
I am sorry, but that is so far fetched. I like you as a poster, you post mostly good stuff whether I agree or not but this is quite frankly absurd.

Like not only is it far fetched, but it’s not rooted in reality. Spurs can’t just magically undo the Mills deal. This team exists, they are good and they cant tank as currently constructed. That is literally what I’ve been trying to tell people and the only argument.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2019, 11:13 PM
For as much as people bitch about the Pau and Patty contracts, if Kawhi doesn't become a bitch then with those contract the Spurs are a contender this year and have an incredible defense. If the Pau and Patty contracts are your biggest gripe about a front office then you're probably a pretty good front office.

Even with an MVP candidate holding the franchise hostage, the Spurs are not very far away from being a true contender. If anyone is downplaying anything in this thread, its that fact.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2019, 11:14 PM
Fundamentally the same, is what I said. So how about this:

Clear cap space by not overpaying for Pau and Patty. How am I doing so far?

Start some of the young players, give them a chance to develop, knowing that it's going to lose some games, but will make you better next season. If not start, then at least give them MUCH bigger minutes, for the same reasons.

Get buy-in from (some of) the current starters, by making sure that they understand that you have a SOLID plan to put a championship contending team on the floor in one season. (Because I know that the argument will be that guys like Aldridge and DDR would mutiny.) There have been LOTS of guys who went to teams because the FO sold them on a near-term plan for the future. No reason why those wouldn't have stayed for the same reason.

Lose just a few more games than they did with this roster, and you get ping pong balls. Lose a few more and you have a reasonable chance at a top 10 pick.

The next year, you have DDR and Aldridge, and a bunch of much better seasoned youngs. (A whole season starting would have made a BIG difference to Poeltl, just as one example.) Plus you have some cap flexibility. AND you have a good shot at a top-tier rookie.

If you say ANY of that wouldn't have worked, you're splitting hairs.

You think NBA players are just OK with writing off a season because their franchise doesn't think they are good enough? You think they're OK with tanking and lowering their value so another guy can come in and take their job? There's a reason teams don't do this.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 07:43 AM
I think people here downplay the importance of playoff experience for young players. White, Forbes and Poeltl have made leaps in the postseason that they probably wouldn't have made if the season was over by now.

duncan2k5
04-21-2019, 09:55 AM
LMA and DDR will NEVER win a ring together... That's why keeping them on the team or trying to build around them is completely pointless and a waste of time

K...
04-21-2019, 10:16 AM
one thing : The skills the FO have honed to get good drafts picks (kawhi, white, murray, etc) don't apply to the top 10 lottery picks.

You don't tank to get 4 yr seniors or injured athletes. Maybe there is an elite euro who is available, maybe there is the rare 4 yr who is worth it. But more likely it'll be teenager's like murray or some overhyped big school star.

Have y'all seen the recent history of the #1-3 picks? It's shit! y'all really think guys like lonzo are better than white? (even age adjusted)? Ayton won't magically become better than LMA in at least 5 years. Peoltl was a lottery pick too!

If you take poeltl, Lonnie (who the spurs ranked highly on their draft board) then the spurs have two "lottery picks" already. If you consider redrafts than white and murray probably are as well. So congrats, the sours have magically tanked and gotten 4 years worth of "lottery talent" without tanking.

itzsoweezee
04-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Could've gotten Tobias Harris ...

Chucho
04-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Dead horses cant ever rest in peace because we have so many overly qualified experts. Tanking is the ONLY solution in basketball per our experts. We get it.

DPG21920
04-21-2019, 11:38 AM

I honestly think Poeltl is a better fit all things considered. Tobias is damn good and would have fit well next to LMA but he’s due a big contract this season. Jakob is young, cheap and impacts winning pretty damn well already.

DeRozan has been solid even though we see all his flaws. He’s making big money, but it’s only 2 more years so flexibility will come sooner than it would with Tobias and I’m not sure anyone is going to feel that comfortable paying 80-100M for Tobias which is likely what it will be.

jjktkk
04-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Not DDR and LA alone, but if White continues his rise to perhaps stardom, along with Walker and DMurray, who knows, but that would be a ascending team.

DPG21920
04-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Not DDR and LA alone, but if White continues his rise to perhaps stardom, along with Walker and DMurray, who knows, but that would be a ascending team.

Yup - the good news is that Murray/Lonnie only have to be better than Mills/Beli to provide this team a higher ceiling and that should not be a stretch to hit that mark. If they make anywhere close to a Derrick leap then it’s huge.

Spurs at worst will have the 2 first round picks to replace Cunningham and Pondexter with and the MLE to add to the team. It’s close to being a WCF type team IF PATFO have a good off season.

I would let Rudy go, but even if they resign him, all this still remains.

itzsoweezee
04-21-2019, 03:12 PM
I honestly think Poeltl is a better fit all things considered. Tobias is damn good and would have fit well next to LMA but he’s due a big contract this season. Jakob is young, cheap and impacts winning pretty damn well already.

DeRozan has been solid even though we see all his flaws. He’s making big money, but it’s only 2 more years so flexibility will come sooner than it would with Tobias and I’m not sure anyone is going to feel that comfortable paying 80-100M for Tobias which is likely what it will be.

Tobias is worth big money for today's NBA, DeRozan isn't. His 3pt shooting alone is more valuable than any still DeRozan possesses.

When was the last time DeRozan had a positive +/- for a season? I'm pretty sure it's been numerous seasons of him having a net overall negative impact.

rascal
04-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Yup - the good news is that Murray/Lonnie only have to be better than Mills/Beli to provide this team a higher ceiling and that should not be a stretch to hit that mark. If they make anywhere close to a Derrick leap then it’s huge.

Spurs at worst will have the 2 first round picks to replace Cunningham and Pondexter with and the MLE to add to the team. It’s close to being a WCF type team IF PATFO have a good off season.

I would let Rudy go, but even if they resign him, all this still remains.

Looking at it with blinders on considering the Spurs close to a WCF team, not considering there will be changes to other teams.

objective
04-21-2019, 09:05 PM

Would have much rather sat that bum Kawhi suspended for the year, kept Green, and signed Milutinov with the MLE to cover the Poeltl spot and keep Marco off the team. The team would be better off. Roster compression possibly gets Walker on the floor this year instead of having to wait until 20/21 when Forbes and Marco contracts expire

TD 21
04-21-2019, 09:14 PM
Would have much rather sat that bum Kawhi suspended for the year, kept Green, and signed Milutinov with the MLE to cover the Poeltl spot and keep Marco off the team. The team would be better off. Roster compression possibly gets Walker on the floor this year instead of having to wait until 20/21 when Forbes and Marco contracts expire

:tu Why do that though, when you can embarrasses yourselves and reward a scumbag for screwing your franchise by giving him a good chance to reach the Finals and an outside chance to win the championship? Honestly, they deserve to have both of those things occur for their stupidity.

gambit1990
04-23-2019, 11:54 PM
If you want to trade LMA/DeRozan and start over that’s another thing (I think that is silly because SA is already good with room to plan/grow the next 2 years) but that is not what people are saying.
:lol demar is a lost cause and la is dreaming about rejoining portland.

ElNono
04-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Shoulda tanked, tbh

duncan2k5
04-24-2019, 02:17 AM
Lol

Immortal Spur
04-24-2019, 03:12 AM
I quit :cry