PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Nuggets - Game 3, 2019 NBA Playoffs (Apr. 18)

timvp
04-19-2019, 02:13 AM
https://i.imgur.com/gq3NBxi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7Bt0CZy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VFnQ34I.jpg

In a game of runs, the Spurs outlasted the Nuggets on Thursday night 118-108 to take a 2-1 lead in the first round playoff series. San Antonio led by nine points after the first quarter and ended up winning by ten points -- but it was far from easy. In fact, the details of this game will be remembered for many moons to come.

Midway into the first quarter, the game was tied 16-16. That's when the first run commenced, as the Spurs were able to finish out the period on a 15-6 run. However, the script flipped to begin the second quarter. In the first three minutes, Denver sprinted to a 16-0 run to turn the nine-point deficit into a seven-point lead.

With a little bit more than five minutes left in the first half, San Antonio found themselves in a ten-point hole, 50-40. Thankfully, a three-minute run of their own -- a 13-2 run, to be exact -- carried the Spurs out of the hole and into the lead.

The good guys led 61-58 at halftime and the two teams traded mini-runs in the third quarter but neither squad was able to get a grasp on the proceedings.

With an 88-84 advantage entering the fourth quarter, San Antonio's lead dwindled to two points after a Malik Beasley three-pointer with 11:17 remaining. In what became the game's final meaningful run, the Spurs outscored the Nuggets 19-4 over the course of five minutes to take the game by the scruff of the neck and put it to bed.

While the Spurs had a few players who performed well, this game will always be known as Derrick White's breakout party. The second year guard dominated the action on both ends of the court to put together one of the most impressive postseason performances in this storied franchise's history, especially when you factor in his relative inexperience and his previously reached ceiling.

LaMarcus Aldridge B-
Aldridge is slowly getting better as this series progresses, however he can definitely play better than we've seen thus far. The good: His defense was intense, his rebounding on both sides of the floor was stout and he found open teammates when the Nuggets sent double-teams his way. Aldridge was aggressive enough offensively to draw a lot of attention, particularly in pick-and-pops. The bad: He scoring was inefficient, as he scored just 18 points on 17 field goal attempts. Aldridge's main issue right now on offense is he needs to be stronger going to the rim. He's having success when he drives, he just needs to do it more often -- and with more chutzpah. If he can mix in pick-and-rolls with his pick-and-pops and go up stronger under the rim, he could have a breakout performance before this series is over. Defensively, he hasn't been great but he's doing enough, as Aldridge is the team's best option to throw at Paul Millsap.

DeMar DeRozan B-
If you just look at DeRozan's statistics, one would assume that he had a solid ballgame. The truth, though, is much more complicated. In the first half, DeRozan was bad. He was just 1-for-7 from the floor with only two free throw attempts. Defensively, he was even worse, I thought. He got frustrated with the refs early on and he let his moping impact every aspect of his game, perhaps his defense most of all. DeRozan wasn't tracking his man well, gave up too easily in one-on-one situations and was disengaged from the defensive gameplan. To his credit, he settled down at halftime and came out a different player after intermission. In the third quarter, he was great on offense. DeRozan scored 19 of the team's 27 points on 7-for-9 shooting from the floor and 5-of-6 shooting from the charity stripe. The Spurs likely lose if he doesn't explode in that period. I also thought he played wisely on offense in the fourth quarter, as well. Defensively, DeRozan had a couple positive moments sprinkled in during the second half but he mostly remained a liability for the duration of the night.

Derrick White A++
Wow. What a performance by White. In the first half, he patiently found creases to the rim and relentlessly attacked the Nuggets interior. Never in a hurry, White took out his scalpel and carved Denver up to the tune of 26 first half points on 11-for-15 shooting. The Nuggets changed their strategy after halftime and White unselfishly shifted gears on the fly. He didn't take a shot in the third quarter but played smart team basketball. In the fourth, White closed out what he started. He scored ten points in the final period while displaying fantastic playmaking ability whenever the Nuggets paid him too much attention. Oh, and let's not overlook what White did on the defensive end. He was the best defender on the court for either team. White did a lot on that side of the floor, most notably shutting down Jamal Murray (six points on 2-for-6 shooting in 31 minutes). Great, great game ... I don't know what else to say.

Bryn Forbes B
Defensively, I was actually somewhat impressed by Forbes tonight. He was quickly getting around screens, stayed in front of his man well, supplied timely help and got back in transition. It was quietly one of his better defensive games of the season. Offensively, Forbes had his moments -- most of which came from behind the three-point arc -- but he also forced up a few bad shots. I usually applaud his aggression on offense but Forbes took it a step too far tonight. That said, he had an above average night by providing spacing on offense and solid defense (compared to the rest of his perimeter counterparts outside of White, that is).

Jakob Poeltl A-
In the first two games, the Spurs had difficulty dealing with Denver's muscle in the middle. To help solve that issue, Poeltl played 31 minutes -- his most playing time since the end of February. The adjustment paid immediate dividends. Poeltl's defense on Nikola Jokic was admirable, as he guarded him out to the three-point line with quick feet and in the low post with muscle. He successfully tiptoed the line between applying pressure and being overly aggressive, which helped keep his fouls at reasonable level. At the same time, he protected the basket well and was active in the passing lanes. While Poeltl didn't grab many defensive boards, he boxed out very well and the Spurs were able to grab just about every defensive board when he was on the court. Offensively, he was nuisance on the glass, made the right passes, set hardy screens and his touch around the rim was impressively deft. Overall, Poeltl's combination of mobility, basketball smarts and hustle make him a valuable piece to the puzzle going forward.

Rudy Gay C
Better. Not good ... but better. Gay is now just 6-for-21 (28.6%) from the field this series outside of the second quarter of Game 1. While his shooting was off and he was painfully loose with the ball, Gay recovered some of his offensive value by crashing the boards and getting to the free throw line. Defensively, he exhibited more toughness and was stronger when it came to boxing out and grabbing contested rebounds. Gay is out of rhythm and the Nuggets are a difficult matchup for him but his effort can't be questioned. Let's hope he can get it going because the Spurs could really use an offensive focal point for the bench unit.

Patty Mills D-
Yeesh. Mills is efforting on defense but that isn't stopping the Nuggets from roasting him. When he's on the court, it's extremely difficult for the Spurs to get a single stop. He's trying to compensate for his shortcomings with pressure but it's having little impact. Offensively, Mills aimlessly dribbled too much, didn't push the pace, made awkward and arrhythmic decisions, and was poor at running sets.

Marco Belinelli D-
As bad as Mills was on defense, Belinelli was worse. When the Nuggets ran his man off of a pick away from the ball, Belinelli was slow to react and ended up helplessly behind the play. Denver has installed specific sets to take advantage of Belinelli's D and they work almost every time. Offensively, he was okay-ish but didn't come close to negating his lack of defense. And while he hit a couple three-pointers on a trio of attempts, I wasn't too impressed with his shot-selection this evening.

Davis Bertans C
Bertans simply doesn't have the heft to deal with the bigs on Denver. Rather than watch him get pushed around, the coaches opted to use Poeltl more. I can't say I disagreed with that decision. Add in the fact that Denver's rotation is filled with players that are either big and strong or players that are exceedingly quick for their position, and it's plain to see why Bertans doesn't fit in this series.

Pop B
First of all, Pop played a key role in Denver's 16-0 run to start the second quarter by beginning the period with a lineup of Mills, Belinelli, Gay, Bertans and Poeltl. Against an athletic and rugged team like the Nuggets, that lineup is suicide. Pop also needs to do a better job of either hiding or at least separating Mills and Belinelli. The Nuggets are salivating whenever either one of those two players hit the court, so something must be done. Outside of those two glaring issues, I thought Pop coached a really good game. He put the ball in White's hands early and often to try to make the Nuggets pay for shading their defense away from him. To say that was a good decision would be an understatement. Pop also deserves credit for giving extended minutes to Poeltl and leaning on DeRozan in the third when he got it going. The coach's defensive gameplan against Jokic, which is constantly shifting within games to keep him guessing, worked well. All in all, outside of that stretch in the second period, the Spurs were the much better team and Pop is pushing a whole lot of correct buttons.

Chris
04-19-2019, 02:21 AM
MmjOEd4PUcU

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 02:24 AM
We could really use Parker right now. Mills isn't getting it done. This team goes as far as White takes him.

With their burly front-line, Gay needs to pull his weight, especially with only two legitimate bigs on the roster. Bertans is useless this series. Really need better production out of Mills and Belly, but they give up so many runs to the rim, so ugly.

Fortunately they don't have a lot of offense when Murray's not getting free. Beasley seems to roast the Spurs, but White looks like he can stymie Murray. If so, this will be hard for Denver going forward.

spurs10
04-19-2019, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the excellent analysis of the game! I just hope Gay has a better game 4 and Patty and Beli can make up for their defensive liabilities with some marksmanship. Now Game 4 is the most important game of the year. We need all our home games...obviously.

Slippy
04-19-2019, 02:46 AM
Grades are pretty much spot on.

DWHITE seems to have got his legs back. Showing alot more bounce and mobility than a month ago. No coincidence most of his points came from layups and dunks.

As always thanks for grades

Larry O
04-19-2019, 04:01 AM
As this team progresses in this first round, and hopefully advance to the next round, this team will definitely need for the second unit, as well as the role players, to really step it up! Right now, the McNuggets are exploiting the 2nd unit subs like a old rich naive and vulnerable widow, and taking advantage of her. :lol Even our "allstars," LMA and DD10, need to play better going forward, but on a consistent basis. DW4 definitely can't carry this team on his back by himself. But I'm also hoping that this team is starting to smell blood now and want to finish off those McNuggets! Let's see how hungry they are! GSG!!!

vavvi
04-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the grades as always!

Great win! White is a proud guy with this performance after Q4 from Murray in Game 2. Impressive on both ends!

Concerns:
1. LA is still playing worse than expected. Millsap is destroying him, fortunately they don't go to him a lot. And LA can't punish Millsap enough on the other end so far. I'm looking forward to a better performance by him.

2. Bench play. In the regular season our bench won us games. In this series the whole bench seems almost unplayable.

ceperez
04-19-2019, 05:29 AM
Finally, White is trusted on the offense more times than either Derozan and Aldridge.

Poetl needs to be on the court more often. He's that safety valve when the offense or defense breaks down. You cannot underestimate his quickness and IQ on the court. He's always there to bail out a broken play. He's the Spurs best defensive player.

Gay's lack of mobility is showing. Gay also seems to have lost a lot of Spring compared to earlier play this season. He can't seem to rise up high enough to overwelm the competition.

The bench is a problem agaisnst the Nuggets. Its hard to hide Mills and Belinelli against the Nuggets quick and athletic wings. I say Spurs place some trust on Walker to play bench minutes. He's athletic enough to keep up with the young Nuggets.

I wonder if we still had Pau, would he be at least serviceable against a player like Jokic.

r0drig0lac
04-19-2019, 05:52 AM
Mills sucks

Texas_Ranger
04-19-2019, 06:37 AM
I'd welcome Cory Joseph right now....

Twisted_Dawg
04-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Will Mills have an expiring contract for 2019-2020?

baseline bum
04-19-2019, 07:12 AM
If that was a D- performance by Fifty last night I'd hate to see what an F would be.

sananspursfan21
04-19-2019, 07:19 AM
I had a hard time sleeping after this game. Great win. I’ve thought all season the Nuggets were overachieving so I’m not sure if it’s them regressing to the mean or our guys elevating their play. Maybe some of both? Either way, last night was a really encouraging win. A 3-1 lead is a real possibility here if they can keep their head down, bench Mills as long as possible, and see that the Nuggets keep Jokic on the floor

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 07:28 AM
I had a hard time sleeping after this game. Great win. I’ve thought all season the Nuggets were overachieving so I’m not sure if it’s them regressing to the mean or our guys elevating their play. Maybe some of both? Either way, last night was a really encouraging win. A 3-1 lead is a real possibility here if they can keep their head down, bench Mills as long as possible, and see that the Nuggets keep Jokic on the floor

There were only six games separating the Nuggets and Spurs in the standings. The Spurs coughed up games to some terrible teams this year, without which they'd be at the top of the bracket.

Brazil
04-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Cliff notes

white is awesome
mills sucks

GreekSpursfan
04-19-2019, 08:08 AM
It was more about Jokic bad conditioning which leads to him not being able to be aggressive enough on the offensive end than Poetl's defensive effectiveness against him. Whenever Jokic attacked Poetl he destroyed him and i expect that to continue. If Jokic manages to be more aggressive in game 4 Peotl's "smarts"(can't believe someone who watches bball used that word for Poetl) can't do anything to stop him and that would be an L for us. LMA has to be even better defensively if we are to have any chance in game 4.

vander
04-19-2019, 08:21 AM
IMO that was an A+ game from Denver too, I don't think they can play that well again

quentin_compson
04-19-2019, 08:48 AM
What I liked from DeRozan and Aldridge was their patience offensively, their willingness to let White take over the game. But both of them still could and hopefully will be better, especially LMA.
That was a great win against a team that played a very good game. Denver shot over 50 % from the field and from three. Sure, some of this is on the Spurs' defense, but it also is great playmaking by Jokic and great shotmaking by guys like Beasley and Craig.
Watching a guy like White growing into a damn fine player right in front of our eyes is one of the reasons I love this game so much.

GusT15
04-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Nope.Guaranteed 13.3 Mil$ for 19-20 and 20-21.Expiring in 2021.

sananspursfan21
04-19-2019, 08:58 AM
There were only six games separating the Nuggets and Spurs in the standings. The Spurs coughed up games to some terrible teams this year, without which they'd be at the top of the bracket.

i just got done arguing with a friend that the Spurs were the distant 3rd best western conference team. Don’t get me wrong, our guys aren’t an unbelievable team but they’re definitely better than their record suggests. So I agree. Not to mention I see a major difference in chemistry right now than earlier this season. If they stay locked in, they could at least give the Warriors or Rockets hell (big IF)

Keepin' it real
04-19-2019, 09:09 AM
IMO that was an A+ game from Denver too, I don't think they can play that well again

Huh? Murray is one of their top players and only scored 6 points. Nowhere near an A+ game for the Nuggs.

DPG21920
04-19-2019, 09:17 AM
This team has performed admirably and should be a surprise to many doubters. This is a 2nd seed they are pretty much dominating. I don’t care if it’s a good matchup; that’s impressive.

The game plan is great and the only trouble has been the lineups. If pop keeps that part straight SA is in a prime spot to do what hardly any 7th seed has done; upset a 2nd seed.

Also playoff DeRozan has been very solid. Not spectacular but better than his reputation precedes.

wildbill2u
04-19-2019, 09:19 AM
DDR isn't half the player he was at the beginning of the season. He seems to have lost the magic dribbling skills when going to the basket that impressed us all. And he makes a lot of turnovers. He should never be the PG.Nevertheless, he made a offensive contribution in the second half that was important.

I'm one of those who want to try Walker in place of Mills or Bellinelli for a trial. Maybe the rookie can stay with the Nuggets on defense if he is mentally prepped by the coaches to play within himself and not try to go hero. I know it is a risk, but how could he do worse defensively and the other two arent giving us that much offensively this series. If he gets burned repeatedly, you can take him out quickly. On the other hand, maybe he rises to the occasion like White and becomes a valuable asset.

This has become White's series to win or lose. He may not be able to score 36 or better again, but he is controlling the game like few rookies in their first playoff role ever have. Magic Johnson's first playoff comes to mind, but Magic had so many weapons on the Lakers team that are far better than the comparable Spurs. Win or lose, White has had a great coming out party.

vander
04-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Huh? Murray is one of their top players and only scored 6 points. Nowhere near an A+ game for the Nuggs.

OTOH Murray is like a 40% shooter being defended by White, need him to shoot more

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the grades TimVP.

I think the Spurs found a formula tonight to beat the Nuggets that Denver can't counter. Attack Murray and Jokic in pick & rolls and get to the rim. White is not the only player on our roster who can do that. I'd rather see Poeltl on Millsap since he's more mobile and LA on Jokic. I think that works better, but Spurs can switch it up. Mills is now completely useless since he can't even make freethrows anymore with that thumb injury. He will now be a black hole on offense and defense. Spurs bench was awful and Rudy Gay played extremely lazy on defense. He let players blow by him without moving an inch. Some of our shooters are due to get hot otherwise that bench will get us into a hole everytime. I think Pop has now realized he can't bench White and DeRozan at the same time and will stagger their minutes from here on.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-19-2019, 09:25 AM
Love and agree 100% with the grades

I especially agree with the part about Pop trotting out the trio of Mills, Marco, Rudy, Davis and Jacob. Pop has got to do a better job of keeping Forbes, Mills, and Marco off the court together against overly athletic back court and wings because they are horrendous on defense

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 09:40 AM
I think pop listened to ST over the day break. More minutes for starters, less for patty and beli.

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 09:42 AM
So happy pop is confident in Jacob. He’s got all the tools to be a very good piece for the spurs moving forward.

monty4329
04-19-2019, 09:43 AM
and see that the Nuggets keep Jokic on the floor

Why? or you mean "not on the floor"?

Jay.From.NbTx
04-19-2019, 09:51 AM
If that was a D- performance by Fifty last night I'd hate to see what an F would be.

R. DeMurre
04-19-2019, 09:56 AM
I think it's time for Pop to admit that D White is a significant level above any bench guys and to start giving him true starter minutes. Duncan played over 40 mpg in the playoffs in '99, '03, and '05. He played 37 mpg in the '07 finals. White-- who's not yet 25-- can handle 35 mpg. The drop off defensively is just too great when Mills or Belinelli are in. The Spurs are up 2-1, but Mills & Beli are both registering negative results while on the floor, while White has had the impact of a legit star.

MoSpur02
04-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Derozan's tantrums are getting old. I think he did very good tonight, but he needs to stop crying when he doesn't get a call.

monty4329
04-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Gay has probably some physical problem, he is so stiff. Unfortunately he needs to play against Denver, as Bertans has no favorable matchup. Marco too doesn't seem OK, hopefully they'll feel better shortly.

White obviously had a gret game, that somehow hide another terrible performance by DDR. Sure, DeMar made some shots in the third (some where pretty bad and went in anyway) but he was worse than Beli on defense. And again, his insisting on his slow-dribbling iso played right into Denvers gameplan. If White doesn't have a monster game we lose this one too.

I don't know if it just an out of tune rotation or a mental thing or what, but those runs have to be mitigate if not fully prevented. It seems that lately every team we face can have easy runs of 10-15 points in a couple minutes. This is killing us.

We'll see if Denver makes soem adustments to contain White, if that's the case LMA should have wide open space inside after each P+R, and/or a ton of corner threes available for whomever will be on the floor -that could actually bring back some confidence for Mills and maybe Bertans.

Can't wait for next game.

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Derozan's tantrums are getting old. I think he did very good tonight, but he needs to stop crying when he doesn't get a call.

To me thats what separates him from being a top top echelon player. The mental part really fucks with his game. When he’s aggressive and not taking every bump personal, he’s a really good player. And a side note, at least he shows emotion unlike nephew with is tongue in his cheek and dead stare

MoSpur02
04-19-2019, 10:05 AM
I like when players show emotions at times, but he flat out throws tantrums like a little kid.

monty4329
04-19-2019, 10:06 AM
I think it's time for Pop to admit that D White is a significant level above any bench guys and to start giving him true starter minutes. Duncan played over 40 mpg in the playoffs in '99, '03, and '05. He played 37 mpg in the '07 finals. White-- who's not yet 25-- can handle 35 mpg. The drop off defensively is just too great when Mills or Belinelli are in. The Spurs are up 2-1, but Mills & Beli are both registering negative results while on the floor, while White has had the impact of a legit star.

He's maybe even playing too many minutes, remember he has some plantar strain nagging him. Also Denver is choosing to be more aggressive on LMA, DDR and limit 3-point shots especially from Forbes and Beli. Hopefully we'll need White to be healthy and springy for about 18-20 more games....

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 10:08 AM
I like when players show emotions at times, but he flat out throws tantrums like a little kid.

oh no doubt, dude took his shirt off the first quarter in game 2 after 2 fouls in the first.

Biggems
04-19-2019, 10:15 AM
I feel a few of the calls against Gay were iffy at best. You could see his frustration, good that he kept his composure and didn't get a technical. His game is off right now. So, I just want him to give us the hustle stuff....crash the boards, block out, play pesky defense, and attack the rim to get to the line. His FTs were huge yesterday, so at least he can contribute that way, until his shot starts falling again.

Mills is worse than trash in this series. He might as well be an undercover Nugget the way he is playing. Can a seasoned NBA vet, with tons of playoff experience really be this bad and inept? Sheesh, it is horrible and offensive to watch. If he were a thoroughbred, he would be put down by now. I love his leadership and towel waving, but maybe he should do that for 48 a night, instead of being the main culprit in blowing two 19 point leads and one 16 point lead.

Beli is killing me as well. He offers worse than zero D, I'm talking negative D. His offense has been as sporadic as a married man's sex life. He is the Robin to Mills' Batman, as far as extreme suckage in this postseason goes.

White is a stud. Forbes is playing his ass off and is doing pretty good on both end. LMA and DD are getting better with each game from an overall execution standpoint.

All in all, we should be up 3-0, as we are clearly dominating the series. We just need to continue to take care of our business and the series will be ours in 5 games.

John B
04-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks Timvp. Great great win. White is gonna be a star. The whole league will know him after this series, and will get a spot on the All Defensive Team. Man, this guy is good. He plays an old man’s game, so composed, knowing exactly when and how to attack, and he keeps attacking. His defense on Murray was spot on. Aldridge needs to get back to drive again in the middle where he was successful. He had only 2 FT. And please close out on Jokic 3pt. The guy can shoot. Or to Barton or Harris or Millsap. They need to switch and keep a closeup on 3. I think Spurs can switch on them. Keep posting low Rudy. You’re unstoppable man. Agree on avoiding Mills/Belli/Bertans combo. Not on a better team like Nuggets who will exploit that. I wish Lonnie can get some of those minutes when they’re ahead. Let’s keep the foot on the pedal and take pivotal game 4 on 3-1 lead. GSG!

MoSpur02
04-19-2019, 10:18 AM
oh no doubt, dude took his shirt off the first quarter in game 2 after 2 fouls in the first.

That's right. Forgot about that. :lmao

JeffDuncan
04-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the grades TimVP.

I think the Spurs found a formula tonight to beat the Nuggets that Denver can't counter. Attack Murray and Jokic in pick & rolls and get to the rim. ...

Right on. If they can draw Jokic out on defense, to the free throw line or beyond, they can beat him to the rim every time. Jokic is a good player, there are some things he can do, but he is not quick.

weebo
04-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Pondexter or Cunnigham should get some time over Bertans...worthless on D and passing up shots smh

sananspursfan21
04-19-2019, 11:40 AM
Why? or you mean "not on the floor"?

Nope, keep him ON the floor. First of all, I think he’s overrated. Great player, but overrated. Second, the Nuggets play faster and more furiously with him on the bench. Kind of like Rudy, this isn’t the series for JockItch. While he was benched, the Nugs took a 10 point lead. They brought him back in, and instantly the Spurs brought it back. And IIRC, this has been the case the whole series

vavvi
04-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Thanks Timvp. Great great win. White is gonna be a star. The whole league will know him after this series, and will get a spot on the All Defensive Team. Man, this guy is good. He plays an old man’s game, so composed, knowing exactly when and how to attack, and he keeps attacking. His defense on Murray was spot on. Aldridge needs to get back to drive again in the middle where he was successful. He had only 2 FT. And please close out on Jokic 3pt. The guy can shoot. Or to Barton or Harris or Millsap. They need to switch and keep a closeup on 3. I think Spurs can switch on them. Keep posting low Rudy. You’re unstoppable man. Agree on avoiding Mills/Belli/Bertans combo. Not on a better team like Nuggets who will exploit that. I wish Lonnie can get some of those minutes when they’re ahead. Let’s keep the foot on the pedal and take pivotal game 4 on 3-1 lead. GSG!

I think Nuggets will try not doubling LA as much in Game 4 and focus more on White and DDR. This will be the time for Aldridge to show he’s an All-NBA level player.

monty4329
04-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Nope, keep him ON the floor. First of all, I think he’s overrated. Great player, but overrated. Second, the Nuggets play faster and more furiously with him on the bench. Kind of like Rudy, this isn’t the series for JockItch. While he was benched, the Nugs took a 10 point lead. They brought him back in, and instantly the Spurs brought it back. And IIRC, this has been the case the whole series

I quite disagree. The whole starting unit for Denver played poorly, he actually had by far the best statline contributing about 40 points (22 his + 7 assists), plus rebounds. The only reason to want him on the floor is if he plays 45 minuts, since he is fat and gets tired. Other than that, watch him how he passes the ball, he would be fantastic with the Spurs. If he had a shooter like Reddick to feed, they could beat GS. Instead they have Murray, and we will the series.

Joseph Kony
04-19-2019, 12:08 PM
I'm surprised Pop saw how terrible Mills was and limited him to only 18 minutes. Hopefully he reduces them even more in the next game.

EricB
04-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Hes not going anywhere. Deal with it or move on.

EricB
04-19-2019, 12:28 PM
I wouldn’t be opposed to some spot minutes for Cunningham on Millsap. Strong and can stay in front of him easier than Gay.

TXstbobcat
04-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Mills has 2 years left on his contract.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Attack Murray and Jokic in pick & rolls and get to the rim. White is not the only player on our roster who can do that.

That's funny. I read the first sentence and said "hell yeah". Especially attacking Murray. Make that sonofabitch work on the defensive end and that will cool him off on the other end.

Then my next thought before reading the rest was - "the Spurs don't have anyone to really do that other than White".

Chomag
04-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Mills has 2 years left on his contract.

:drunk

John B
04-19-2019, 01:39 PM
That's funny. I read the first sentence and said "hell yeah". Especially attacking Murray. Make that sonofabitch work on the defensive end and that will cool him off on the other end.

Then my next thought before reading the rest was - "the Spurs don't have anyone to really do that other than White".
Demar

Kori Ellis
04-19-2019, 01:58 PM
That's right. Forgot about that. :lmao

He didn't just take off his shirt. Worse than that, he got so upset about the fouls that he ripped up his jersey and had to switch to another one. :lol

JPB
04-19-2019, 02:07 PM
I wouldn’t be opposed to some spot minutes for Cunningham on Millsap. Strong and can stay in front of him easier than Gay.

I wouldn't play Cunni if there were only 4 other available players on the team. Dude is so terrible he's -20 just staying on the bench.

objective
04-19-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm one of those who want to try Walker in place of Mills or Bellinelli for a trial. Maybe the rookie can stay with the Nuggets on defense if he is mentally prepped by the coaches to play within himself and not try to go hero. I know it is a risk, but how could he do worse defensively and the other two arent giving us that much offensively this series. If he gets burned repeatedly, you can take him out quickly. On the other hand, maybe he rises to the occasion like White and becomes a valuable asset.

100% Walker should be playing over Mills and Marco. Just like White should have been playing last year. It won't happen, but it should

Hell, Pop went out of his way last night to find minutes for Mills, who was trash, by putting him at SG next to White in the fourth. God forbid White takes too many minutes at point guard, because then Pop has to donate minutes to Mills to keep the culture going

Walker would elevate the Spurs ceiling.

And what could go wrong?

Would he get backdoored? Marco and Forbes do that every game. Would he bring the ball up and and take a bad, off balance shot? Marco Mills and Forbes do that already. Would he dribble dribble dribble spin away dribble dribble turnover? Mills does that every game. Would he go ice cold in a game? Already covered. Pass up open shots? Already covered. Brick free throws? Already covered

The minuses he would bring are baked into the rotations already, but the pluses aren't.

r0drig0lac
04-19-2019, 03:07 PM
100% Walker should be playing over Mills and Marco. Just like White should have been playing last year. It won't happen, but it should

Hell, Pop went out of his way last night to find minutes for Mills, who was trash, by putting him at SG next to White in the fourth. God forbid White takes too many minutes at point guard, because then Pop has to donate minutes to Mills to keep the culture going

Walker would elevate the Spurs ceiling.

And what could go wrong?

Would he get backdoored? Marco and Forbes do that every game. Would he bring the ball up and and take a bad, off balance shot? Marco Mills and Forbes do that already. Would he dribble dribble dribble spin away dribble dribble turnover? Mills does that every game. Would he go ice cold in a game? Already covered. Pass up open shots? Already covered. Brick free throws? Already covered

The minuses he would bring are baked into the rotations already, but the pluses aren't.

this

KimmyGib
04-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Mills deserves a higher grade, tbh. Spurs were +25 with him waving his towel. His cheer-leading has been seriously impactful in this series.

sananspursfan21
04-19-2019, 03:27 PM
I quite disagree. The whole starting unit for Denver played poorly, he actually had by far the best statline contributing about 40 points (22 his + 7 assists), plus rebounds. The only reason to want him on the floor is if he plays 45 minuts, since he is fat and gets tired. Other than that, watch him how he passes the ball, he would be fantastic with the Spurs. If he had a shooter like Reddick to feed, they could beat GS. Instead they have Murray, and we will the series.

We can disagree on Jokic’s impact. His numbers are excellent and I feel like some of the enamor is in the fact that he has a rare skill set for his position. He’s literally a sort of point center. And I’ll say he is playing pretty well. He hit some threes last night but I’d say we can both agree his defense was terrible. He rebounded ok but I think he was just as much to blame for White going insane in the paint

timvp
04-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Mills deserves a higher grade, tbh. Spurs were +25 with him waving his towel. His cheer-leading has been seriously impactful in this series.

That made me laugh, tbh. Well done :lol

TD 21
04-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Pop's lucky White bailed his stupidity out. He finally mostly started to do the obvious things rotationally and matchup wise after the Nuggets 16-0 run to start the 2nd quarter. If he more or less sticks to that (outside of riding Poeltl for 18 out of 20 minutes in the 2nd half while the game was in the balance; that's not sustainable) and the mid 3 make mostly sound decisions, they should win this series.

One thing that needs to change: Belinelli should only defend Craig, unless he (Belinelli) catches fire. At that point, obviously ride it out by hoping to steal a few minutes elsewhere (since Craig only plays spot minutes). Craig is also Bertans' only matchup, but I'd rather he defend Beasley than Belinelli at this point. It'd be awkward, but he's at least quicker laterally and offers more size.

Crazy that the Spurs are up 2-1 (and had multiple 19 point leads in the loss), while attempting only 51 3's. Even their 30th ranked regular season average was 25 per game. Some is obviously due to most of the shooters playing less, but they're going to need an explosion at some point, especially with Malone predictably questioning the Nuggets toughness and complaining about the officiating today. They'll probably live at the line tomorrow.

vavvi
04-19-2019, 04:26 PM

No need unless Denver changes the game plan. Now they are only going to Millsap like 7-8 times per game despite him destroying every Spurs defender. We can live with that.

monty4329
04-21-2019, 01:37 AM

I guess you might want to riconsider now, don't you?

sananspursfan21
04-21-2019, 06:52 AM
I guess you might want to riconsider now, don't you?

Not really. Everyone played out of their minds yesterday. For three games he wasn’t that great and then he was great for one game.