PDA

View Full Version : BBALL Breakdown Coach Nick: How Derrick White Won Game 3 For Spurs Over Nuggets

spursparker9
04-19-2019, 06:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iusUh0LhB0w

BillMc
04-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Nice video! Many thanks for posting!

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Guessing it had to do with being really good at offense and defense.

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
I hope people realize that 90% of the screens were set by LaMarcus "he can't set screens" Aldridge. Like I said all year LA and White have amazing chemistry and know how to play off of each other. This series comes down to LA/White vs. Jokic/Murray and we'll win this match up everytime. That's also the main reason why White should be the starting PG next year

GAustex
04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
I hope people realize that 90% of the screens were set by LaMarcus "he can't set screens" Aldridge. Like I said all year LA and White have amazing chemistry and know how to play off of each other. This series comes down to LA/White vs. Jokic/Murray and we'll win this match up everytime. That's also the main reason why White should be the starting PG next year
You are correct IMO. LMA has gotten better at screen setting as I recall it was not so good when he got here

phxspurfan
04-19-2019, 12:12 PM
White is unexpectedly great at pure PG skills IMO. His timing with when to use the pick and court vision are pretty great, especially combined with his deceptively fast speed and good size for the position. Another diamond in the rough for Los Spurs. Just needs to keep this kind of confidence so he doesn't regress to some of the doldrums we've seen him encounter

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2019, 12:51 PM
I've talked all season about White's patience in the paint. As good as Tony was, he had a bad habit of over-penetrating and then just having to dump the ball off to someone. If you watch white, he changes pace a lot, and waits to give his man time to get to the passing lane that White wants. He knows where he's going with the ball long before he gets there, and he sees the floor developing before it happens instead of reacting. That's a true PG skill.

That neat little feed White gave Poeltl starting around the 3:35 mark is a good example. White saw the double coming on Gay, but instead of just moving to give Gay an outlet he moved precisely to the spot where he could feed Poeltl for the layup. He knew he was going to Poeltl long before Rudy even decided to pass it to him. That was a really critical play, too. The Spurs only had a 4 point lead, and were kind of losing momentum. With that easy score by Poeltl, you could see the Nuggets body language change.

John B
04-19-2019, 01:15 PM
I’m so impressed with his moving without the ball (Belli), catching on the drive (Ginobili), spin moves (Demar) and finishing around the basket (Tony). He’s a student of the game and a sponge at it. And we haven’t even talked about his man-to-man defense (Kawhi/Pop/Ime). People will see he is becoming the best 2way guard, and will slowly carry this team. Man this kid is good.

JeffDuncan
04-19-2019, 01:47 PM
I've talked all season about White's patience in the paint. As good as Tony was, he had a bad habit of over-penetrating and then just having to dump the ball off to someone. If you watch white, he changes pace a lot, and waits to give his man time to get to the passing lane that White wants. He knows where he's going with the ball long before he gets there, and he sees the floor developing before it happens instead of reacting. That's a true PG skill.

Another thing he does, as you know, is that little jump shot in the lane. It makes things very rough for the defense. Very very rough. Say they manage to close off the passing lanes you mention, which is hard enough to do. Then they also have to close off White's own line to the basket, because they know he'll take it in himself if he sees an opening. Say they manage to do that, too. Then he'll shoot the jumper, and usually make it.

Spurs fever
04-19-2019, 02:39 PM
This video was nice.

Rummpd
04-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Nice video in a few years when he is a Star be worth replaying