PDA

View Full Version : Pop on drafting White: ‘Never even knew he existed in the world. Didn’t know he was on the planet’

spursparker9
04-19-2019, 07:07 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/gregg-popovich-spurs-drafting-derrick-220940189.html

Mr. Body
04-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Do we always believe what Pop says?

exstatic
04-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Do we always believe what Pop says?

I wouldn’t believe this particular nugget. The Spurs always set up a complete draft board, and select whoever is the highest remaining player. I absolutely cannot believe that Gregg Popovich has no hand in the pre draft process, and their draft board setup.

wildbill2u
04-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Pop has been known to troll a reporter or two with a sarcastic response to a dumb question. Spurs don't draft by throwing a dart at a board full of names of players in the draft. White is just another great example of the Spurs finding value where other teams don't do their due diligence or are afraid to make a bold throw of the dice.

BackHome
04-19-2019, 08:45 AM
The media on a whole are pretty stupid pretty easy for Pop to troll them.

K...
04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
.(pop): I’m busy. I’ve got other stuff to do. I can’t watch this guy. I don’t know who these guys are. I’m at dinner. I’m ordering wine. I’m relaxing. They’ve got to find the talent, right? I’ve got to teach back-door, and I’ve got to find the talent?

Pop isn't a scout, he probably knew Derrick white near the draft time, but not long before then. I don't think pop works very hard at scouting,

Seventyniner
04-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Pop isn't a scout, he probably knew Derrick white near the draft time, but not long before then. I don't think pop works very hard at scouting,

It does make me wonder just how much time Pop spends on the front office stuff. Maybe he just has veto power but doesn't get involved in the earlier parts of the scouting and drafting process.