PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling of one Mr. White

Rummpd
04-19-2019, 07:56 AM
1. Role Player who gets hot on occassion?
2. Productive NBA starter?
3. Off and on All-star, ala Tony Parker?
4. Star, makes All-star and NBA teams?
5. Superstar?

I am going 2 or 3, need a larger data set.

jhfenton
04-19-2019, 08:13 AM
I went with 3. We definitely need a larger data set, and that's the ceiling for most Spurs "greats" given their team-first construction. I don't see any reason he can't be a 15-20 pt/night guy who plays great defense and gets other players involved. (He can't really be as good as he looked last night, can he?)

BillMc
04-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Tony Parker was All NBA several times. He should be a 4 on your scale.

White might be that good someday, but way tooo early to say.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-19-2019, 08:23 AM
We may have seen the ceiling last night
He was going to his right and using his right hand a lot....once teams force him to adjust we'll have a better idea.

SASdynasty!
04-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Fixed.

1. Role Player who gets hot on occassion?
2. Productive NBA starter?
3. Two-time All-star, ala Manu Ginobili?
4. Star, makes All-star and NBA teams?
5. Superstar?
6. FMVP who sweeps LeBron? (Ala Tony Parker, Kevin Durant)

I am going 2 or 3, need a larger data set.

kobyz
04-19-2019, 08:27 AM
3, terry porter type...

TDMVPDPOY
04-19-2019, 08:37 AM
making all star team and being all star talent but snub is 2 different things

theres a few guys each year who continue to get snub for selection, does that mean the guys selected are better then them? no... all star game is nothing more popularity contest...

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 09:05 AM
I'd say 3. I see him as a Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley level type player

MarCowMar
04-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Ceiling? Maybe Ginobili with a better three, better defense, and better decision making?

It'd be interesting to see how many assists he could crank out if he weren't sharing ball-handling duties so often, and running our assist-distributing offense. Like I don't _feel_ like he's better than Chris Paul or Stockton or Nash, but when you factor in shooting and defense, why couldn't he be? He has the potential to bring more to the table than any of those three. He's also plug and play--the team doesn't need to adapt to his weaknesses, unlike say Nash or DeRozan.

r0drig0lac
04-19-2019, 09:24 AM
Ceiling? Maybe Ginobili with a better three, better defense, and better decision making?

It'd be interesting to see how many assists he could crank out if he weren't sharing ball-handling duties so often, and running our assist-distributing offense. Like I don't _feel_ like he's better than Chris Paul or Stockton or Nash, but when you factor in shooting and defense, why couldn't he be? He has the potential to bring more to the table than any of those three. He's also plug and play--the team doesn't need to adapt to his weaknesses, unlike say Nash or DeRozan.

so a superstar?

GusT15
04-19-2019, 09:35 AM

He doesn't shoot the 3 better than Manu.Yet.
If he starts touching 40% from 3,plays the same defense (and gets called for less fouls as he builds a name for himself),while still keeping his TOs low with good decision making,his ceiling is All Star.Only concerns are age and long term health.
His floor is elite role playing PG.
At this point i just want him healthy,level headed and for Pop to call some of his CIA buddies to kidnap his Uncles.
All of them.

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 09:37 AM
“The roof”. MJ

MoSpur02
04-19-2019, 10:11 AM
He does remind me of Tony Parker on how he gets to the rim and scores in the paint. TP wasn't a great passer, but was good. That's White right now. White's defense is obviously better than TP's and his 3pt shot is better than TP's. Parker was consistent on offense and if White can score play offense like he did last night on a consistent basis then he will have a better career than Parker, but he has a ways to go.

Dejounte
04-19-2019, 10:14 AM
He's a toned down Manu Ginobili. He doesn't go balls to the wall with his play. Which means he will have a long career. He has TP's finishing ability. Funny he started at the same age as Manu in the NBA just about.

John B
04-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Him dunking on Millsap, dissecting Murray to the rim and flexing his muscle tell me he is going to be star. Pop will give him the key the same way he pushed Kawhi. White ball is winning ball. He will carry the team , and the league will see that. All Defensive Team this year on his 2nd year. He’s a Gary Peyton. He has outside shots, athleticism to get to the rim, court vision. All Defensive Team, All Star. 4-5 for me.

JeffDuncan
04-19-2019, 10:33 AM
White's ceiling, all-NBA. Because he's unusually good on both ends of the floor. That's rare.

R. DeMurre
04-19-2019, 10:35 AM
The important thing is that White is the kind of player who can be part of a championship team-- he plays D, he's doesn't need a sky high usage rate to get his numbers, and he's efficient and smart. The back court defense next year is going to be off the charts.

SpursforSix
04-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Closest comps at this stage of his career is Pistol Pete.

Strategic
04-19-2019, 10:56 AM
2 and change

Blackhaus
04-19-2019, 11:21 AM
He does remind me of Tony Parker on how he gets to the rim and scores in the paint. TP wasn't a great passer, but was good. That's White right now. White's defense is obviously better than TP's and his 3pt shot is better than TP's. Parker was consistent on offense and if White can score play offense like he did last night on a consistent basis then he will have a better career than Parker, but he has a ways to go.

parker? Lol. They are nothing like each other and then you state reasons why they are nothing like each other.

Harry Callahan
04-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Pop really likes this guy a lot. Coach P mentioned both ends of the floor when he was asked about D. White last night. That say a lot.

Like I mentioned before, ceiling can be Joe Dumars. I would take that in a heartbeat.

I can safely say that the Spurs hit the Jackpot with White. The incompetent Mavies have already given up on the 9th pick of the draft in 2017 in Dennis Smith - ONLY AFTER ONE and A HALF SEASONS. The Spurs get a better player 20 picks later. Of course the Spurs actually know how to develop young players and provide proof of this time and time again.

This is how a team makes the playoffs 22 years in a row.

DAF86
Only lack of shots stops him from being an all-star level player right now.

NickiRasgo
Brandon Roy + Chauncey Billups

TimmyBuckets
04-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Kobe then?

John B
04-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Gary Peyton, All Defensive Team and All Star at times. Potential All NBA

gameFACE
04-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Way too early to tell. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play well tomorrow. That's not a knock on him. He's young. He may also get 40. Although he's carrying the team on his back LA and/or DeMar need to carry a game, tbh.

spurraider21
04-19-2019, 11:49 AM
well we're talking ceiling, not necessary our projection... i went with consistent all star due to his defense.

vavvi
04-19-2019, 11:54 AM
We shouldn’t get carried away too much after one game.

Let’s see how he’s gonna look in a series against Lillard or Harden or Curry.

For now it’s clear he’s 2 with a potential to become 3 (aka Mike Conley type)

Maddog
04-19-2019, 12:13 PM
We shouldn’t get carried away too much after one game.

Let’s see how he’s gonna look in a series against Lillard or Harden or Curry.

For now it’s clear he’s 2 with a potential to become 3 (aka Mike Conley type)

Definitely,
However he has had stretches this season that are quite tantalizing and the first two games of the series have been good.

I have no clue about his ceiling. I find him a very hard player to project.
He may become an All Star quality of player who never get's an all star nod as he doesn't excel in any area

Johnsyounger
04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Poor mans Kawhi is the ceiling.

John B
04-19-2019, 12:36 PM
He will be the best 2-way PG in the league. In his 2nd year, he’s already doing more than Kawhi. Kawhi was never a good distributor, while DWhite can co-exist with ANY player. The kid is special. Like Skip says, who is the best defender among him and Curry, Lilliard, Harden, Westbrook? Last night, he just passed Jamal in the all star nod. That guy will never be an all star again with Mitchell, Fox. But again, who is the best 2way? DWhite. And he will slowly carry this team. All Defensive, All Star and maybe All NBA

r0drig0lac
04-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Him dunking on Millsap, dissecting Murray to the rim and flexing his muscle tell me he is going to be star. Pop will give him the key the same way he pushed Kawhi. White ball is winning ball. He will carry the team , and the league will see that. All Defensive Team this year on his 2nd year. He’s a Gary Peyton. He has outside shots, athleticism to get to the rim, court vision. All Defensive Team, All Star. 4-5 for me.

this was my analysis when I saw him play in his first year, although I can see a bit of James Harden, his composure and the way he runs the floor reminds The Glove

Blake
04-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Which is a great thing

dbestpro
04-19-2019, 02:29 PM
He is nothing like Manu or Parker. He reminds me of Alvin Robertson the player.

BackHome
04-19-2019, 04:37 PM
I just love his court vision and his ball handling skills and the kid plays great defense.

daslicer
04-19-2019, 05:45 PM
He is nothing like Manu or Parker. He reminds me of Alvin Robertson the player.

I never got to watch Alvin since he was past my time but I do agree with the general point. He's a totally different player than both Manu and Parker. Manu had an unorthodox herky jerky style type of game and like Tim once said playing with "controlled chaos." I felt in Manu's prime he was like the Taz-Manian devil with reckless abandon on both ends. White on both ends is more steady and controlled. Parker had lightning quick speed and great footwork which allowed him to finish in the paint easily and lead the league in points in the paint for several seasons.

White makes me think of Jason Kidd on the defensive end. On the offensive end the way he runs the offense reminds me of Chauncey Billups without a post up game but much more athletic.

Mugen
04-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Pretty excited for his offensive ceiling when he doesn't have to be counted on as the only competent perimeter defender on the team tbh...

tonight...you
04-19-2019, 06:03 PM
"One Mr. White"? We need him to be differentiated?
Sweet.

MoSpur02
04-19-2019, 07:58 PM
parker? Lol. They are nothing like each other and then you state reasons why they are nothing like each other.

You obviously didn't read my post correctly.

RC_Drunkford
04-19-2019, 08:48 PM
what I ask myself is what can he add to his game? I thought he had problems getting to the rim through the season cause he got blocked from behind a lot, but at this point he looks like a complete player. He could start taking more shots and slightly improve his shooting % but I don't know if he can take another huge leap which would make him an All-Star candidate, cause he's already good at basically everything

cjw
04-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Considering his contract ($2.0 / $3.5 for next two years and then a QO+RFA), who are the players the Spurs WOULD trade White for straight up, assuming you could make the numbers work. And which players wouldn’t other teams consider trading for him? Ala the Bill Simmons trade value list ... where he conveniently overvalues trash Celtics guys but omitted Murray (White was nothing at that point).

http://tradevalue.theringer.com/

He had friggen Jamal Murray at 30, so White is at or better than that level. But there are people ahead of him on that list ... like Russ ... that I wouldn’t touch in a million years in a straight up trade given the relative contracts. And guys like Donovan Mitchell and Booker? No thanks.

We are probably overrating him and there is recency bias, but at the same time the rest of the league is just waking up to him. He could end up All Defense this year, and his on/off splits have shown he’s vital to team on both ends.

PublicOption
04-19-2019, 09:48 PM
superstar...becasue if you look at his game...its so easy....the complete opposite of Manu....no wasted motion...to fast, and to big to stop. its just too easy....and he is gonna get better....50 pt games are coming.