PDA

View Full Version : Siakam + Poeltl + picks would have been a better package for Nephew + DGreen

playbonner15
04-20-2019, 01:36 AM
Siakam will also be a good replacement for Rudy. Oh well hindsight is truly 20-20

Chinook
04-20-2019, 01:45 AM
Duh. It would also have been impossible without adding in guys like Valanciunas and Powell, and that would change the value calculus quite a bit.

RC_Drunkford
04-20-2019, 03:25 AM
Wouldn't work salary cap wise. Otherwise yeah, definitely

Rusty
04-20-2019, 03:45 AM
Masai would never trade Siakam. Wasn’t going to happen

R. DeMurre
04-20-2019, 08:50 AM
Toronto's main reason for being willing to take the chance on one year of Leonard was based on their decision that they were ready to move on from DeRozan. He'd been sat at crucial moments in last year's playoffs, and I think they'd decided that a Lowry/DeRozan duo was only going to take them so far, even if it did win them lots of regular season games. Even if Leonard leaves, Toronto still has payroll space to attract a major free agent. That's the main appeal of this trade for them. Siakam's rookie scale salary was about 1/20th of DeRozan's-- a huge bargain, like D White or Dejounte-- so he was never going to be part of the deal.

JeffDuncan
04-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Trading Leonard and Green for Giannis and Brogdon and 20 first round picks and $100,000,000,000 and all the royalty rights to all the Star Wars movies would have been a better deal, I think. And I'm almost sure I'm right.

What is it with this constant spew of hopelessly naive foolishness.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Siakam + Poeltl + picks would have been a better package for Nephew + DGreen (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278902&p=9778438)

Did the league start giving waivers to the CBA salary matching when it involves a top 5 player or something? The internet is really slow on Olympus, and sometimes I get bored before I finish reading things.

BillMc
04-20-2019, 10:51 AM
It's not a buffet. You can't just take what you want. The other team has to be a willing partner. And as others have said, they didn't want to continue with the Lowry/DeMar pairing. We're lucky to get DeMar. He's mentally tough compared to Lowry. He's actually been pretty good in the Denver series so far.

TimmyBuckets
04-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Pointless thread is pointless

KDKSpurs24
04-20-2019, 11:01 AM
Pointless thread is pointless
Exactly. This is ridiculous. What’s done is done. We still have a bright future, imo.

bayareaspursfan
04-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Man so many babies in here. Move the fuck on

sasaint
04-20-2019, 11:41 AM
It's not a buffet. You can't just take what you want. The other team has to be a willing partner. And as others have said, they didn't want to continue with the Lowry/DeMar pairing. We're lucky to get DeMar. He's mentally tough compared to Lowry. He's actually been pretty good in the Denver series so far.

Haha! I wish I had the wherewithal to startup a new site to try trades: The NBA Trade Buffet! It actually has a nice ring.

04-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Hindsight is truly 20/20

Nobody saw Siakam having a breakout year like this last Summer and not many on this forum were even clamoring for Siakam to be included in any Kawhi deal.

I wonder if the Spurs FO tried asking for Siakam and Derozan, but were shot down.

lmbebo
04-20-2019, 12:05 PM
I think most people wanted Anouby or Siakam in the trade last summer. Don't think either was offered....

BD24
04-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Toronto's main reason for being willing to take the chance on one year of Leonard was based on their decision that they were ready to move on from DeRozan. He'd been sat at crucial moments in last year's playoffs, and I think they'd decided that a Lowry/DeRozan duo was only going to take them so far, even if it did win them lots of regular season games. Even if Leonard leaves, Toronto still has payroll space to attract a major free agent. That's the main appeal of this trade for them. Siakam's rookie scale salary was about 1/20th of DeRozan's-- a huge bargain, like D White or Dejounte-- so he was never going to be part of the deal.
This tbh

BillMc
04-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Haha! I wish I had the wherewithal to startup a new site to try trades: The NBA Trade Buffet! It actually has a nice ring.

Sounds like a good site. Start 'er up my friend!

Proxy
04-20-2019, 03:59 PM
who gives a shit, Demar is a cool dude. Glad he's on the team, happy to root for someone like him

BackHome
04-20-2019, 04:14 PM
So glad KY and his Ass Cleaning Followers are gone.

Keepin' it real
04-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Siakam is nothing more than this year's Bismarck Bimbo. Whatever happened to him?

Kurgan
04-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Woulda been fine with the trade if they just didn't include Danny. Replace him with Fatty or Gasoft and it'd be more acceptable.

slick'81
04-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Siakam is nothing more than this year's Bismarck Bimbo. Whatever happened to him?

Siakam is alot better then busmack homie

therealtruth
04-20-2019, 08:21 PM
The Spurs won the trade with DDR. No need to get greedy.

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Masai would have never traded Siakam:lol

He got Danny Green AND 5 million $ back AND salary dumped a contract he didn't want..he robbed the Spurs(although Pop got exactly what he wanted in the trade), no way he was going to lose a star prospect..

GreekSpursfan
04-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Masai got what he wanted but once Kawhi leaves its rebuilding time again. Siakam is good but good luck contending in the East with him as your No1 guy as the East gets and better and better from now on.

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Masai got what he wanted but once Kawhi leaves its rebuilding time again. Siakam is good but good luck contending in the East with him as your No1 guy as the East gets and better and better from now on.

What was the other side? They didn't lose anything of value other than a weak pick:lol

They got a year of contending and dumped a bad contract..

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:32 PM
What was the other side? They didn't lose anything of value other than a weak pick:lol

The test will be if Kawhi walks. Hate on DeRozan all you want but he guaranteed them being a playoff team which is a big deal. If they traded that away and miss the playoffs the following year if Kawhi walks?

That is a massive deal.

therealtruth
04-20-2019, 08:39 PM
The test will be if Kawhi walks. Hate on DeRozan all you want but he guaranteed them being a playoff team which is a big deal. If they traded that away and miss the playoffs the following year if Kawhi walks?

That is a massive deal.

They're likely a playoff team even if Kawhi walks. He missed several games this season and still won without him.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 08:42 PM
They're likely a playoff team even if Kawhi walks. He missed several games this season and still won without him.

Definitely possible. They have some solid players. But the point remains, they were guaranteed a playoff spot before the trade. For a market like TOR that is a big deal.

Even though they will have cap space, if they lose Kawhi, they have not been a market that can attract talent typically. It might force them into overpaying for Gasol since they wont want to lose all their big name talent.

04-20-2019, 09:05 PM

That is a massive deal.
They were better this year without Kawhi by a large margin.

They were salary dumping Derozen, so worst case scenario they traded Poetl for D Green, which is a win in the short term, tbd long term. Best case they keep Kawhi and it's probably one of the more lopsided trades since Pau landed at LAX.

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 09:07 PM

They were salary dumping Derozen, so worst case scenario they traded Poetl for D Green, which is a win in the short term, tbd long term. Best case they keep Kawhi and it's probably one of the more lopsided trades since Pau landed at LAX.

It was a worthwhile trade no matter what and if the keep Kawhi its a huge win. But there is a downside to this that is yet to be determined IF Kawhi leaves.

cjw
04-20-2019, 10:46 PM

What are you talking about? The Raptors were 5.4 better in net rating with Kawhi on the court. Much better offensively, and only slightly worse defensively.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 07:01 AM
If you watch the Spurs vs. Nuggets series, this is exactly why you DON'T trade Danny Green. He actually shows up in the playoffs and doesn't disappear like 60% of our roster

GreekSpursfan
04-21-2019, 10:32 AM

They got a year of contending and dumped a bad contract..

If Masai was able to complete the Conley for Lowry deal then they would content for real but now whoever comes out of the Rockets-Dubs matchup wins it all imo.
It was the wrong year to content with GS still going super strong. He didn't lose anything but he didn't win anything either imo.
The ultimate goal is to win a title not just create cap space and i don't see them winning anything any time soon.

kobyz
04-21-2019, 10:37 AM
trading away Kawhi is unforgivable, even with the circumstances, you offer the supermax and run your chances that he stay, you have nothing to lose, he is a generational player, one season of him worth more than even 5 Derozans, Pop like he used to was overthink it with his righteous shit and cost us big time...

K...
04-21-2019, 10:44 AM
If you watch the Spurs vs. Nuggets series, this is exactly why you DON'T trade Danny Green. He actually shows up in the playoffs and doesn't disappear like 60% of our roster

?????? when did this happen? 2013 is cool and all, but danny is no magic savior.

TXstbobcat
04-21-2019, 10:53 AM
trading away Kawhi is unforgivable, even with the circumstances, you offer the supermax and run your chances that he stay, you have nothing to lose, he is a generational player, one season of him worth more than even 5 Derozans, Pop like he used to was overthink it with his righteous shit and cost us big time...

One more season of Leonard hiding in NY with his uncle and refusing to play would not have helped the spurs this season.

kobyz
04-21-2019, 12:44 PM
One more season of Leonard hiding in NY with his uncle and refusing to play would not have helped the spurs this season.

he would not have done that, spurs had power to prevent it or make him losing free agency rights...

lmbebo
04-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Most of us were ready to move on DG. His 3 pt shooting had slipped for several seasons. Maybe a step slow on defense (still better than most on this team).

alpha_HaZE
04-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Siakam will also be a good replacement for Rudy. Oh well hindsight is truly 20-20

For sure, but if I had to guess they did ask for Siakam, and OG, wouldn't you? To my understanding, the Spurs are always looking at all possible scenarios. I don't think either of them was available, but yes;

White, Green, Siakam, Gay and LA would have been a joy to watch. Both defensively and offensively.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 02:51 PM
?????? when did this happen? 2013 is cool and all, but danny is no magic savior.

he would do wonders for this team. Game 5 of the 2017 Rockets series comes to mind