PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 2019 offseason thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2019, 06:47 PM
We are too slow, un-athletic and our obsession with the midrange shooting combined with a low volume on 3’s is a death knel in the modern NBA

If Pop is serious about not being first round fodder year in and year out then half the roster needs to go.

Genovaswitness
04-20-2019, 06:49 PM
honestly fuck this team and every member of the FO that has enabled it. Fuck patty mills, Rudy gay. Fuck pop. Retard should retire

Jay.From.NbTx
04-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Yea they gave us a little hope stealing game one in Denver. Spurs actually looked like the better team but as usual the Spurs find a way to choke and beat themselves.. sigh ...

Genovaswitness
04-20-2019, 06:57 PM
and here I thought this “team” would actually make the WCF. what a fucking joke

tonight...you
04-20-2019, 07:02 PM
We are too slow, un-athletic and our obsession with the midrange shooting combined with a low volume on 3’s is a death kneel in the modern NBA

If Pop is serious about not being first round fodder year in and year out then half the roster needs to go.
Again 1st: this fucking site blows in how it loads. Garbage. Jesus...
This is the Savers of fucking sites.

Gross.

You know what?
Fuck my point.
This shit is stupid.

Fucking site is cheap chicken strips.

timtonymanu
04-20-2019, 07:06 PM
Hopefully moving Beli so Lonnie gets his minutes.

Don't re-sign Gay.

DJ replacing Patty's spot next season. Pop's gonna just bring back this same core for the most part next year so I expect no dramatic changes anyway.

Dejounte
04-20-2019, 07:12 PM
This off-season
-sign Rudy for the same deal. Ask him to have more of a mentor role for...
-use a draft pick on Grant Williams. Groom him to become the SF of the future
-use the second draft pick on Thybulle. This team needs defense in a bad way.
-Trade Forbes while his value is still high. Dude is failing miserably in the playoffs
-If neither Marco or Mills are being traded, notify them their minutes are going down to be given to Lonnie and one of the draftees
-Convince either Murray or White to come off the bench. We need defense for all 48 minutes.

PG: Dejounte/ White/ Mills
SG: DeMar/ Lonnie/ Thybulle
SF: Williams/ Gay/ Marco
PF: Aldridge/ Bertans/ Metu
C: Poetl/ Motiejunas/ Eubanks

JeffDuncan
04-20-2019, 09:10 PM
This off-season
-sign Rudy for the same deal. ...

No. Rudy's health won't hold up anymore. Bad feet. Let him go.

-use a draft pick on Grant Williams. Groom him to become the SF of the future

It's going on TWO YEARS since the time the Spurs should have gotten TWO serviceable small forwards on the roster. Even when Leonard was here he needed backup. Williams or whoever, the need for a "real" small forward is desperate. Actually two.

-use the second draft pick on Thybulle.

No. Too short. Need a player capable of being power forward.

This team needs defense in a bad way.

All too true.

-Trade Forbes while his value is still high.

No. For the reason you can't replace him for the same price. But he needs to be on a roster where his shooting specialty is the focus, without so much need for him to be more.

-If neither Marco or Mills are being traded,

They both need to go. If we're building a good team they both just need to go.

-Convince either Murray or White to come off the bench.

Lol. You don't have an argument with them, you just damn well tell them. Don't talk like a snowflake. You look at them both during camp and preseason, and the one who does better gets the start at pg. You tell him he'll start, and tell the other he'll sit (or move to sg.) Simple as that. It isn't a debate.

Guard position looks okay for next year, presuming health.

The forward positions need help. Lotta help. Need at least 3 guys who can play sf, real sf, not a converted sg, with at least one of them able to play pf also.

3 forwards. Is that too much to ask?

Capt Bringdown
04-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Please God no Rudy Gay.

Dejounte
04-20-2019, 09:25 PM
No. Rudy's health won't hold up anymore. Bad feet. Let him go.

It's going on TWO YEARS since the time the Spurs should have gotten TWO serviceable small forwards on the roster. Even when Leonard was here he needed backup. Williams or whoever, the need for a "real" small forward is desperate. Actually two.

No. Too short. Need a player capable of being power forward.

All too true.

No. For the reason you can't replace him for the same price. But he needs to be on a roster where his shooting specialty is the focus, without so much need for him to be more.

They both need to go. If we're building a good team they both just need to go.

Lol. You don't have an argument with them, you just damn well tell them. Don't talk like a snowflake. You look at them both during camp and preseason, and the one who does better gets the start at pg. You tell him he'll start, and tell the other he'll sit (or move to sg.) Simple as that. It isn't a debate.

Guard position looks okay for next year, presuming health.

The forward positions need help. Lotta help. Need at least 3 guys who can play sf, real sf, not a converted sg, with at least one of them able to play pf also.

3 forwards. Is that too much to ask?

Plenty of choices...
Chuma Okeke
Rui Hachimura
Grant Williams
KZ Okpala
Brandon Clarke

One of these guys should fall...and they're all great for us.

JeffDuncan
04-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Plenty of choices...
Chuma Okeke
Rui Hachimura
Grant Williams
KZ Okpala
Brandon Clarke

One of these guys should fall...and they're all great for us.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Millennial_Messiah
04-20-2019, 09:55 PM
We are too slow, un-athletic and our obsession with the midrange shooting combined with a low volume on 3’s is a death kneel in the modern NBA

Not just midrange shooting, but contested long twos. It's the most inefficient shot in the game apart from shooting from nearly half-court or farther. I'm good with a wide open 15 footer that has been properly set up. But not the jab-step, fadeway with a hand in the face variety, which is DeFaggot DeFrozen's favorite shot. He thinks he's Kobe or something. No, that's a terrible shot, and only the Kobe's and Durant's of the world should ever be shooting those.

Too many of these guys grew up with Kobe, McGrady, Iverson, Carter etc as their favorite player and they all made their living on the long fadeway 2-pointer. I think next generation will be different because everyone in middle school and high school now wants to be the next Curry instead.

Millennial_Messiah
04-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Hopefully moving Beli so Lonnie gets his minutes.

Don't re-sign Gay.

DJ replacing Patty's spot next season. Pop's gonna just bring back this same core for the most part next year so I expect no dramatic changes anyway.

Patty goes, Gay goes and we bring back Kawhi Leonard, that's the ideal offseason.

Kurgan
04-20-2019, 10:05 PM
Not just midrange shooting, but contested long twos. It's the most inefficient shot in the game apart from shooting from nearly half-court or farther. I'm good with a wide open 15 footer that has been properly set up. But not the jab-step, fadeway with a hand in the face variety, which is DeFaggot DeFrozen's favorite shot. He thinks he's Kobe or something. No, that's a terrible shot, and only the Kobe's and Durant's of the world should ever be shooting those.

Too many of these guys grew up with Kobe, McGrady, Iverson, Carter etc as their favorite player and they all made their living on the long fadeway 2-pointer. I think next generation will be different because everyone in middle school and high school now wants to be the next Curry instead.

Kobe had a cancerous influence on the game for sure. Thankfully, those one-way Kobe/Carmelo/Iverson type players are all mostly phased out of the league. Unfortunately, Spurs are still stuck with Demar for two more years. We better not bring back Gay either.

Millennial_Messiah
04-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Kobe had a cancerous influence on the game for sure. Thankfully, those one-way Kobe/Carmelo/Iverson type players are all mostly phased out of the league. Unfortunately, Spurs are still stuck with Demar for two more years. We better not bring back Gay either.

DeRozan is such a late 90s/early 00s type of player like that... we can always trade DeFaggot and Mills for a pick and bring back Kawhi... in fact we really need to.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:12 PM
DeRozan is such a late 90s/early 00s type of player like that... we can always trade DeFaggot and Mills for a pick and bring back Kawhi... in fact we really need to.

If you'll agree to have a vasectomy, I'll pay for it - on the condition that you haven't already spawned offspring.

Millennial_Messiah
04-20-2019, 10:15 PM
If you'll agree to have a vasectomy, I'll pay for it - on the condition that you haven't already spawned offspring.

The full price or the price after insurance (assuming I have insurance, which is a maybe maybe not proposition)?

I don't get what your beef with Kawhi is.

JeffDuncan
04-20-2019, 10:17 PM
We do not want Leonard back. It isn't something that needs to be explained.

It's one of those things that the answer is just, no.

No.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2019, 10:22 PM
The full price or the price after insurance (assuming I have insurance, which is a maybe maybe not proposition)?

I don't get what your beef with Kawhi is.

No beef with Kawhi as a player. (I don't like the way he handled things, but that's different.) He's just not coming back. And trading Mills and DDR for a pick? Nobody cleared enough cap space to absorb those two salaries so that they could sign DDR and Patty.

My beef is that neither of the things you suggested can happen in the real world.

jjktkk
04-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Integrating Lonnie into the rotation. Hoping that Murray and White can coexist effectively as the starting backcourt. Trade Mills, limit Marco's minutes. Finding a capable 3rd big and SF.

Millennial_Messiah
04-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Integrating Lonnie into the rotation. Hoping that Murray and White can coexist effectively as the starting backcourt. Trade Mills, limit Marco's minutes. Finding a capable 3rd big and SF.

Kawhiiiiiiii :claw:claw:claw come home!!!

BackHome
04-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Why? He still can’t wipe his Ass but don’t worry Daboom and the gang are all over that for him.

Spurtacular
04-20-2019, 11:24 PM
The young core of Murray, White, Walker looking good. Excited to see if they can add a fourth young blue chip diamond in the rough at 19.

Degoat
04-20-2019, 11:26 PM
Just out of curiosity what kind of trade value could DeMar or LA bring? I don’t necessarily want to trade them but next season I don’t know if we can have both of them plus our young guys

DPG21920
04-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Spurs, if my math is correct, have a path to having some cap space. Basically, it would be letting go of all players that are going to be FA (including Rudy), picking up all the options (White, Murray & Jakob) and then trading Mills with no salary back.

If they did that, they would have about 15M in cap space I believe. Losing Mills shouldn’t be an issue with Lonnie/Murray in the fold and they would have 15M (in addition to being able to keep their 2 first round picks on the books) to replace Rudy.

So it would be this years team less Mills & Rudy, but adding Lonnie, Murray, 2 first round picks and a player for 15M APY.

Dejounte
04-21-2019, 06:03 AM
Spurs, if my math is correct, have a path to having some cap space. Basically, it would be letting go of all players that are going to be FA (including Rudy), picking up all the options (White, Murray & Jakob) and then trading Mills with no salary back.

If they did that, they would have about 15M in cap space I believe. Losing Mills shouldn’t be an issue with Lonnie/Murray in the fold and they would have 15M (in addition to being able to keep their 2 first round picks on the books) to replace Rudy.

So it would be this years team less Mills & Rudy, but adding Lonnie, Murray, 2 first round picks and a player for 15M APY.

There is no one we can sign at 15 mil that can even equal to Mills and Rudy's production, even if they are playing so bad right now..

Texas_Ranger
04-21-2019, 06:22 AM
Dont sign gay
Trade mills for a 2nd round pick, i dont care
Trade Derozan
Trade Aldridge

With this we are pretty much getting rid of 3 of our best players. Well, rudy can be number 3 or number 10 tbh. But anyways, all 3 of those guys can have great games, but when it matters most they all turn into a giant pile of shit. I dont even care if we get anything special for those 2 chokers, i just want them away from this team. Id rather tank then be 8th.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 06:38 AM
like I said this team needs to make some trades. Ideally you can move one of these players (Mills) to move up in the draft (or don't move up, just get rid of his cap space), waive Gay's birds rights and sign 1-2 good role players in free agency. Tell Gay he won't get more than 5 million per year, 11 is too much for somebody who can't even come off the bench in a playoff series.

Bertans and Belinelli are on good 1 year deals, so they could bring in some nice pieces in a trade as well. Teams always need shooters.

In a dream scenario you also somehow trade DeRozan to an idiot GM who's willing to take him and give you something good back. Likely not happening though

tbdog
04-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Spurs will play it safe. They'll resign Gay for 3 years and 8 mil per. They'll add a center for the min. They'll use their MLE on defending PF like Macrus Morris. They will trade Bertans with SA pick to move up a few or trade Mills with SA 1st and get nothing in return.

CapitalEmm
04-21-2019, 07:55 AM
What are you all talking about, Gay about to get that 2-year $30M “loyalty” contract. :pop:

BackHome
04-21-2019, 10:00 AM
LMA needs to stay he is not the reason we are loosing as far as who we are loosing first would be Cunningham and Poindexter who will be replaced by our two first round picks. So that’s pretty easy now let’s see who they draft I am looking for the first pick to be a Center or SF and our second first pick to be a SF or PG.

Now comes the tricky part who will be on the trading block this summer?
1. Mills his playing time will be cut in half with Murray coming back and White taking over.
2. Forbes same as Mills though if we can trade Mills I’ll keep Forbes.
3. Nikola not even on our team which is a shame but he was our first round pick so we should be able to use him and move 3 to 5 positions up in a draft trade.
4. DEROZZ I like him as a person but damn does he remind me of my bi polar EX - For the right player or draft players I would trade him but it will have to be a trade were both parties are happy.
5. Metu I haven’t seen anything from him maybe keep him but his salary is Lowe so could just release him.
6. Gay has sucked but he brings an athletic experienced big man which are hard to find.

DPG21920
04-21-2019, 10:27 AM
There is no one we can sign at 15 mil that can even equal to Mills and Rudy's production, even if they are playing so bad right now..

Disagree big time. Lonnie + Murray replace Mills. 15M is really to replace Rudy which is more than doable.

BackHome
04-21-2019, 10:29 AM
If you trade Rudy you know you going to have to trade DEROZZ as they good friends.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
If you trade Rudy you know you going to have to trade DEROZZ as they good friends.

you don't have to trade Rudy, just don't resign him

SpursRussia
04-21-2019, 04:38 PM
PATFO will never do what they have to do, and that is trade Patty Mills for a top 59 protected 2nd round pick and just move on. Once DM comes back we’re set with guard rotation, Forbes and Lonnie should take Patty’s minutes.

If somehow it happens, Ariza, Caroll, Marcus Morris will all be free agents we can get on a contract that expires together with DDR. My priority would be Morris, and I don’t think Boston wants to bring him back that much with Hayward turning back into himself.

And for god’s sake draft a SF and a big, no more guards or stashes, there is plenty of room in the rosters now.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Marcus Morris would be a great addition. Champion ship level role player if you ask me and he'd bring some toughness to this team. They need that

objective
04-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Bertans and Belinelli are on good 1 year deals, so they could bring in some nice pieces in a trade as well. Teams always need shooters.

Sorry Drunkford, but I foresee that Marco will be worth what he was the last time he had one year left on his deal: jackshit.

Nobody wants him at his absurd salary, no smart team anyway. Smart teams know he's a minimum player you get on the buyout market. Only dumb teams like the Spurs think he's worth paying to have.

DPG21920
04-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Sorry Drunkford, but I foresee that Marco will be worth what he was the last time he had one year left on his deal: jackshit.

Nobody wants him at his absurd salary, no smart team anyway. Smart teams know he's a minimum player you get on the buyout market. Only dumb teams like the Spurs think he's worth paying to have.

Marcos money is not an issue. Mills? Sure. But Beli is definitely tradeable at his price no matter how bad he is.

objective
04-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Marcos money is not an issue. Mills? Sure. But Beli is definitely tradeable at his price no matter how bad he is.

Marco is a minimum player, maybe BAE. If anybody wants him they can just wait for him to be bought out like Finley was when the Spurs look rough next year.

DPG21920
04-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Marco is a minimum player, maybe BAE. If anybody wants him they can just wait for him to be bought out like Finley was when the Spurs look rough next year.

So either way he’s gone and his money isn’t an issue.

Ditty
04-22-2019, 12:05 AM
Not a great offseason for free agents again unless you have money. The only possible affordable free agent is Al-Farouq Aminu. He is in a good situation in Portland, so I don't know if he would take bench role for a lateral move to another team. I could see us trying to bring Danny Green back, but he seems to be enjoying his time in Toronto.

Walker is going to take Marco's minutes, and it will probably be another Gasol situation that Marco will get bought out to join a contender late next season.

Mills and Forbes will be back. Gay won't.

Bring over Milutinov with the BAE.

Poeltl/Milutinov/Metu
Aldridge/Bertans/1st round pick
DeRozan/Walker/1st round pick
White/Forbes/Belinelli
Murray/Mills/Some player that shouldn't be in the NBA or 2nd rounder

gambit1990
04-22-2019, 12:30 AM
posted in the other 2019 offseason thread about what the spurs should do... go all in for kemba, sign aminu and mcgee.

CHA signs and trades kemba for demar, mills, forbes, and two draft picks. jordan doesn’t know shit. rip him rc.

gambit1990
04-22-2019, 12:33 AM
spurs need to aggressively sell kemba on the fact that we’ve made the POs for the past 100 years. dude wants a winning environment.

SpursRussia
04-22-2019, 01:14 AM
Dirty, this roster will again be very small on the wings, all SFs are really SGs, and all SGs have PG size. For draft picks, we all know Pop doesn’t play them in year 1. This issue must be addressed if Spurs want to make postseason next year

tbdog
04-22-2019, 05:17 AM
spurs need to aggressively sell kemba on the fact that we’ve made the POs for the past 100 years. dude wants a winning environment.

We don't have the cap space.

r0drig0lac
04-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Dante/Quincy/Marco and Mills need to give way to real basketball players, this roster had a lot of dead weight

GusT15
04-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Dante/Quincy/Marco and Mills need to give way to real basketball players, this roster had a lot of dead weight

This roster is flawed but Beli and Mills are actual basketball players.

The issue is they are catch and shoot guards.They can't create their own shot.Same as Bertans.You insert a 35 year old Manu and a 32 year old Boris to run the bench squad and suddenly Mills,Marco and Bertans are hitting 3s and are looking like elite role players.

You have Patty run point in the bench squad and people are running around like headless chickens for 23 seconds and shoot a 3 under pressure as the clock runs out.

The problem is PATFO paid role players that work wonderfully in the beautiful game system and didn't account for the floor generals that were the driving force behind the system declining cause of age and retiring.

sasaint
04-22-2019, 08:34 AM

In order for us to bring on Kemba, we would need to move Dumbmar as well as one of Murray, White or Lonnie. We will never be able to retain all 4 beyond next season anyway. Then we also need to move Mills, who despite the hate on ST, has value when confined to his proper role. As far as the rotation is concerned that would leave us with Kemba, (2 of Murray/White/Lonnie), Forbes and Marco for next season. Then replace Marco the following season. Say goodbye to Gay, bring over Milutinov and concentrate on the 3/4 position in the draft.

sasaint
04-22-2019, 08:37 AM
This roster is flawed but Beli and Mills are actual basketball players.

The issue is they are catch and shoot guards.They can't create their own shot.Same as Bertans.You insert a 35 year old Manu and a 32 year old Boris to run the bench squad and suddenly Mills,Marco and Bertans are hitting 3s and are looking like elite role players.

You have Patty run point in the bench squad and people are running around like headless chickens for 23 seconds and shoot a 3 under pressure as the clock runs out.

The problem is PATFO paid role players that work wonderfully in the beautiful game system and didn't account for the floor generals that were the driving force behind the system declining cause of age and retiring.

Goes without saying that Dante and Quincy will be gone. But we need to move Mills, too. I know, I know - Pop won't do that.

RD2191
04-22-2019, 08:45 AM
LMA and DD are both losers when it matters, they always have been and always will be.

GusT15
04-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Goes without saying that Dante and Quincy will be gone. But we need to move Mills, too. I know, I know - Pop won't do that.

Shit,Pop won't do that,sensible teams won't be interested in 26/2 Mills unless we attach draft picks along with Patty,useless teams will want to offload some of their useless assets..

If 19/20 is indeed Pop's last season i can see us trading him in 2021 as an expiring.

It goes without saying Dante and Q-Pon shouldn't have been signed at all (a small ball 4 in Dante and a past his prime wing Pondexter who is lucky to be alive,didn't and wouldn't patch any holes in the roster even as third options)

BackHome
04-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Yeah the signing of those two for one year rental said Pop and RC didn’t think we would be in playoffs or they wanted cap space the following year to sign someone. Either way both should be replaced by draft picks and I would not mind them joining the organization they both are smart high character guys they just past their prime.

Going into to this summer before the draft they going to have to figure what they going to do with Forbes, Rudy, and Nikola. With Murray back and Walker being a high draft pick and a year under his belt I don’t know how Forbes is going to getting playing time? His stock should be high would definitely see what people would offer for him if good trade him if nothing good keep him one more year on cheap. As far as Rudy we all ready need two SF if we let him go we need SF and PF so I would keep him but no way in hell do I give him a Mills/Gasol contract. Regarding Nikola he is a first round pick by us who has turned out to be one of the best Centers Over Seas either we bring him over this summer or we trade him but to do neither is just plain stupid.

Not sure what they thinking of Metu and Eubanks one was drafted and signed but has not produced in G League the other Eubanks is a walk on and has produced at a high level in G League. I do think having Eubanks would have given us another player to guard Millsap. Another play on two way contract Ben Moore SF/PF who I really like I think the Spurs definitely give him a chance of moving up just depends how he does in summer league/tryouts

Dejounte
04-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Dejounte has the height and wingspan to be a straight up shooting guard. He is equivalent to Wade and Brandon Roy in terms of measurables.

BackHome
04-25-2019, 06:39 PM
I said from day one Murray should be SG but him having played PG has helped him now hopefully he is working on his 3 balls.

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 11:40 PM
What is interesting will be the mindset/narrative if SA gets to the 2nd round. Will PATFO and fans start to shift back more to this team having great upside when adding Murray/Lonnie and MLE player plus draft picks? Will the flaws that exist still be pursued with the same energy?

Even if some guys catch fire (Beli, Mills, Rudy) how much of that changes PATFO perception of the off season? Hopefully we get to find out with a game 7 win

ZeusWillJudge
04-27-2019, 11:09 PM
Okay, sound off if you think Bertans will be wearing silver and black next season.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 12:36 AM
Dear Santa, ok so I'm a little early, but this is what I want for next Christmas.

A new coach.

A real small forward.

Some real bench players.

Anything that eats wombats.

Yes, I will be a good boy all year.

Uriel
04-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Offseason moves:
- Re-sign Gay
- Get rid of Cunningham, Pondexter, and Montejunas
- Use MLE to sign Milutinov and 3-and-D swingman
- Use first round picks on a big and a wing

2020 Roster:
C - Poeltl, Milutinov, 1st round pick
PF - Aldridge, Bertans, 3-and-D Swingman
SF - DeRozan, Gay, 1st round pick
SG - White, Forbes, Bellinelli
PG - Murray, Mills, Walker

Immortal Spur
04-28-2019, 01:44 AM
Well Buford nails picks but his Free agent signings have been garbo recently

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2019, 02:25 AM
Spurs need a trade more than anything

DavidTheGoliath
04-28-2019, 02:35 AM
Hope we dont resign marco and get a starting sf. DePression should stuck to the 2 spot and Walker can come off the bench

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2019, 02:38 AM
Spurs need a trade more than anything

Can't trade, don't have the assets

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 03:41 AM
Okay, sound off if you think Bertans will be wearing silver and black next season.

About Bertans, I hope not. He's an outstanding 3pt shooter, but he is not a complete player. We need 2-way players.

playblair
04-28-2019, 04:15 AM
Well Buford nails picks but his Free agent signings have been garbo recently

there isnt much he can do to get players to san antonio.........even when spurs were in their prime the biggest free agent who would even consider/sign with spurs was finley.......... the only solution is to move the team to austin.........every marquee free agent would line up to play for austin spurs

ZeusWillJudge
04-28-2019, 08:15 AM
About Bertans, I hope not. He's an outstanding 3pt shooter, but he is not a complete player. We need 2-way players.

He's been here three years - more than long enough to learn the system. If Pop is going to totally hold him out of the most critical playoff games, it's hard for me to see him keeping Bertans on the roster. He's not likely to get better in the offseason, or gain more of Pop's trust. I don't know how they get rid of him - maybe a buyout. But he's a waste of a roster spot if he can't be played.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Now that I'm relaxing in the offseason, I've been watching some of the Celtics v Bucks. Saw some good basketball there. Tough, smart. Athletic. Didn't notice any wombats running around.

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Let's be real, we're not making big moves
For the offseason the Spurs will operate over the cap. Just doesn't make sense to get rid of players and get under, if you can add the same amount of salary by keeping the core.

The guys that are out are: Pondexter, Cunningham, Motiejunas

You resign Rudy Gay with bird rights

You spend the MLE of 9.1 million on a 3-and-D forward. Ideally that is Marcus Morris, but I expect teams like the Lakers to offer him a lot more money.

Other candidates are Demarre Carrol, Danny Green (stays in Toronto most likely), Bogdanovic (too expensive), Ariza, Oubre, Stanley Johnson, Jeff Green, Terrence Ross (no D), Shumpert, Hezonja, Mbah Moute, Sefolosha, Alec Burks, Caldwell-Pope. Take your pick.
Let's say we get Demarre Carrol. Jeff Green was signed for 2.4 million last year, let's say we get him for the vet minimum.

The real key would be drafting players who can contribute right away. Hachimura or Little would be great pick ups, we definitely need RC to pull off another steal. Spurs could trade both picks or add one of Forbes/Bertans/Belinelli to move up in the draft. The higher pick should definitely be a forward, no question.

White, Murray, Walker should work on their jump shots in the offseason. Same goes for Ben Moore. Poeltl should add post moves, maybe a midrange and improve his free throw shooting. Metu needs to add muscle and improve in every area.

DeRozan should get in the gym with Chip and work on his 3-point shooting. He was a 31% 3-point shooter in his last year on the Raptors and he had games where he made 5 or 6 of them. He also shot them from anywhere: corners, top of the key, in transition, catch & shoots.
That would not only improve the spacing on offense, it would also make him more of a threat off the ball. Here's some video evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tuN75d7Z5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESvVkC8Iez8
Pop should also check him for getting techs, he needs to stop getting frustrated if he gets no calls and let Pop work the refs

If all that goes down we'd look at a roster of:

Aldridge/Poeltl/Milutinov or rookie
Carrol/Gay/Bertans
DeRozan/Jeff Green/Rookie
Murray/Walker/Belinelli
White/Mills/Forbes

If you trade to move up add Metu, Eubanks or Moore. Put the other 2 on 2-way contracts and we also got Huestis in the G-League.
This would initially be this years rotation players with more playing time under their belt, additional defense through Murray, Carroll, Green, Rookie, an improved DeRozan with a 3-point shot and further developed young players in White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl. The team would improve significantly on both sides of the ball and the depth should make the regular season a lot easier.

I think that's about the best we can hope for. As the trade deadline approaches, players like Belinelli, Forbes and Bertans should be attractive targets on the market since they are expiring, so Spurs could fine tune the roster midseason.

Degoat
04-28-2019, 02:20 PM
Am I crazy thinking The Spurs might could get into the Anthony Davis sweepstakes? You offer LA, both 1st round picks, and Forbes. I know that seems lopsided but pelicans probably make the playoffs with Jrue holiday and LA together

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Am I crazy thinking The Spurs might could get into the Anthony Davis sweepstakes? You offer LA, both 1st round picks, and Forbes. I know that seems lopsided but pelicans probably make the playoffs with Jrue holiday and LA together

I thought so too. But how about offering them DeRozan, Poeltl and a 1st round pick? I heard another team found that offer very intriguing before and was willing to trade their Franchise Player for that package

Fusternino
04-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Honestly, Spurs need to just get Duombouya at this point. He's a legitimate 3/4 combo forward. Get either a big or a 3&D SF with the other pick and use the MLE to bring over Milutinov and maybe get another 3&D SF or big (whichever wasn't drafted) with the remainder. See if one of Forbes/Mills/Marco can be moved, probably Forbes because he has positive trade value to move up in the draft.

Fusternino
04-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Honestly, Louis King has been really impressive. More likely than not he will be available at 29.

Fusternino
04-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Gay just posted on Instagram and Green commented on it.

jermaine
04-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Gay just posted on Instagram and Green commented on it.
Saying what?

GusT15
04-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Saying what?

Gay said "1,2,3 Cancun" and Green wished him "Enjoy your summer buddy"

He actually said "One last time Go Spurs Go" and Green did a moronic emoticonoji that i dunno what it means

r0drig0lac
04-29-2019, 01:08 PM

yep

BillMc
04-29-2019, 07:11 PM
LMA looking forward to DJ coming back.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/lamarcus-aldridge-anticipating-the-return-of-dejounte-murray

BillMc
04-29-2019, 07:13 PM

I think he will. Denver was just a bad matchup for him. Spurs need shooters badly. Not gonna get rid of one under contract unless he's part of a package to get a major player. And Pop sorta hinted that isn't likely.

cjw
04-30-2019, 04:23 AM
I think he will. Denver was just a bad matchup for him. Spurs need shooters badly. Not gonna get rid of one under contract unless he's part of a package to get a major player. And Pop sorta hinted that isn't likely.

Unfortunately I fear the Denver series exposed a lot in terms of his limitations in staying on the floor. He’s obviously too small when a team goes with two bigs like Denver did almost the entire series (need to check minutes, but could have been basically all meaningful minutes).

But the fact that he can’t be on the floor either to guard any other wings when your alternatives are Mills and Beli tells you something about his footwork on defense. Teams can scheme him off the floor.

Looking across the rest of the west, most teams can run similar lineups and neuter him. Not necessarily three quick guys and two bigs, but also 4 + 1.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2019, 07:44 AM
do the spurms draft a needed 3d player who probably wont get much playing time or

promote someone on the torros?

SAGirl
04-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Good question mark.

He has always been a guy that Pop leaves out of the rotation at random moments, including when he wants to give someone else (whomever) a chance. If they were inclined to switch thing up sure, he could be traded, but they are bringing the same crew back. The statement made that they want to bring back the same group etc persuades me the most. They aren't looking at trades to begin with. So case closed.

exstatic
04-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Good question mark.

He has always been a guy that Pop leaves out of the rotation at random moments, including when he wants to give someone else (whomever) a chance. If they were inclined to switch thing up sure, he could be traded, but they are bringing the same crew back. The statement made that they want to bring back the same group etc persuades me the most. They aren't looking at trades to begin with. So case closed.

That's not actually what Pop said. The word he used was 'core'. That most certainly doesn't meant that everyone will be back.

SAGirl
04-30-2019, 10:19 AM
That's not actually what Pop said. The word he used was 'core'. That most certainly doesn't meant that everyone will be back.
Good observation but we shall see. They consider him a part of that core (the same with Forbes etc). I don't expect him to be moved.

Now if next season he falls off the rotation a la Pau (getting replaced by newcomers to the team) a trade midseason is not impossible...

exstatic
04-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Good observation but we shall see. They consider him a part of that core (the same with Forbes etc). I don't expect him to be moved.

Now if next season he falls off the rotation a la Pau (getting replaced by newcomers to the team) a trade midseason is not impossible...

Bertans' usage has been sporadic throughout his whole time here. At this point, I would consider Forbes more of a part of what the Spurs are doing than Bertans.

SAGirl
04-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Bertans' usage has been sporadic throughout his whole time here. At this point, I would consider Forbes more of a part of what the Spurs are doing than Bertans.
That's evident. Do you see him getting traded bc that was the question I was responding to.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2019, 10:31 AM
if pmills is still on the team next season, then expect the same old shit repeat again...

pmills era = enrique era = rs team, playoff fodder team

exstatic
04-30-2019, 10:45 AM
That's evident. Do you see him getting traded bc that was the question I was responding to.

I don't think they'll actively look to move him, but if they get a decent offer, it may well happen.

ernest787
04-30-2019, 11:47 AM
I thought we got rid of SAgirl?

Dex
04-30-2019, 01:12 PM

The best bet with Mills is that somebody takes his spot in the rotation to the point that he becomes completely expendable like Pau did.

That said, Pop would still probably keep him around as a 3rd/4th stringer for backup purposes and because of his "leadership" ala Tony Parker. After these playoffs, I'm all for Forbes having a shot of taking Patty's spot as the shooter off the bench.

We will have to see what the Spurs do in the draft, but if Dejounte comes back strong next season, I could see Pop putting White into the role of 1st guard off the bench...which would leave the guard rotation looking something like:

Murray / White / Forbes / Mills
DeRozan / Walker / Beli

ace3g
04-30-2019, 06:19 PM
Hopefully Ben Moore and (maybe) Josh Huestis are part of the Spurs SL team/training camp roster.

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 06:45 PM
I just have a hard time believing Pop will be ok paying Mills 12/13M for TP role. They offered TP 5M for that role.

Fusternino
04-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Why Huestis? Still can't shoot.

BackHome
04-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Just Ben Moore

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 07:10 PM
I just have a hard time believing Pop will be ok paying Mills 12/13M for TP role. They offered TP 5M for that role.

TP didn't start coffee gang. Just listen to Pop's exit interview, Mills will be here at least until his contract expires

BillMc
04-30-2019, 08:02 PM
Donatas is gone

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/donatas-motiejunas-no-longer-with-spurs-says-goodbye-to-team

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Nice guy it seems, but no need for him. No need for Pondexter or Cunningham even though they were fine Spurs and very professional.

No need for any type of player like that right now; no upside. Take some fliers on younger guys for those last 3 spots.

BillMc
04-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Nice guy it seems, but no need for him. No need for Pondexter or Cunningham even though they were fine Spurs and very professional.

No need for any type of player like that right now; no upside. Take some fliers on younger guys for those last 3 spots.

Agreed.

Patty fills the "nice guy" quota anyway.

sasaint
04-30-2019, 08:11 PM
Donatas is gone

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/donatas-motiejunas-no-longer-with-spurs-says-goodbye-to-team

Very strange mini-episode, tbh.

sasaint
04-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Hopefully Ben Moore and (maybe) Josh Huestis are part of the Spurs SL team/training camp roster.

Do we have any kind of “dibs” on Moore?

tholdren
04-30-2019, 08:24 PM

Lol dumb. If danatas would have played more than gay in games 1 2 3 4 5 6 sa would have won the series. If gay would have played like plumlee sa would have won the series.

BIG MEN WHO CAN ONLY SHOOT JUMPERS AND DONT REBOUND HAVE NO USE.

DavidTheGoliath
04-30-2019, 08:26 PM
Really, Donatas moving the needle?

tholdren
04-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Really, Donatas moving the needle?

He was more equipped to beat denver than gay

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 08:36 PM
He was more equipped to beat denver than gay

It’s just not fair that some people get blessed with great looks AND brains like you.

tholdren
04-30-2019, 08:39 PM
It’s just not fair that some people get blessed with great looks AND brains like you.

Could be worse. I could have said kl was an alpha, bryn forbes was worse than mills, marco, white, and pau was a good piece for sa... but here we are.

MoSpur02
04-30-2019, 08:53 PM
If I'm the Spurs I try to find a way to get Tobias Harris or Julius Randle.

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 09:01 PM

I really don’t see a path to either; especially Harris. He’s due big money and SA doesn’t have cap space. I dont know what PHI would want via a S&T either that SA has. I’m not sacrificing the youth for him but he would be a dream fit as a starting 4.

Julius is the same; I don’t see NO wanting to blow it up completely, he’s young and what trade assets would they want from SA? Maybe if they were willing to sell him for picks SA could do that, but I think Julius declines his option and would require money SA does not have at this point.

cjw
04-30-2019, 09:16 PM
The best bet with Mills is that somebody takes his spot in the rotation to the point that he becomes completely expendable like Pau did.

That said, Pop would still probably keep him around as a 3rd/4th stringer for backup purposes and because of his "leadership" ala Tony Parker. After these playoffs, I'm all for Forbes having a shot of taking Patty's spot as the shooter off the bench.

We will have to see what the Spurs do in the draft, but if Dejounte comes back strong next season, I could see Pop putting White into the role of 1st guard off the bench...which would leave the guard rotation looking something like:

Murray / White / Forbes / Mills
DeRozan / Walker / Beli

On Forbes vs. Mills
I’m excited for Forbes to return to a bench role. Remember he’s been going up against more starter lineups, but nonetheless had similar but better numbers than Patty this past year: https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Bryn+Forbes&player_id1_select=Bryn+Forbes&player_id1=forbebr01&y1=2019&player_id2_hint=Patty+Mills&player_id2_select=Patty+Mills&player_id2=millspa02&y2=2019

On starting White
DDR and White should stagger minutes more, so I’d be fine with White coming off the bench and running the second unit. Also, I want to see units with White and Poeltl. There will be games where Poeltl starts, but generally he and Aldridge should stagger.

My ideal offseason would finding a way to move out Mills and Beli (isn’t that everyone’s dream?) and running things back. If it takes moving out one of the first rounders and you can get something back in the deal as opposed to dead expiring salary, then I’d consider it.

It’s going to be hard to find someone to take the MLE who is going to be effective. But they can’t botch it like this past year.

Degoat
04-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Harrison Barnes maybe? Probably costs to much, plus not the best fit but we desperately need a SF. Ariza is available but Id rather go younger

MoSpur02
04-30-2019, 09:33 PM
I really don’t see a path to either; especially Harris. He’s due big money and SA doesn’t have cap space. I dont know what PHI would want via a S&T either that SA has. I’m not sacrificing the youth for him but he would be a dream fit as a starting 4.

Julius is the same; I don’t see NO wanting to blow it up completely, he’s young and what trade assets would they want from SA? Maybe if they were willing to sell him for picks SA could do that, but I think Julius declines his option and would require money SA does not have at this point.

I know it would be very difficult to sign either one of them, but you at least talk to them and see if they have any serious interest in joining the team. If either one of them does then you move players like Bertans, Mills, and Belinelli for draft picks or players you can waive to come up with cap space to sign one of them

Again I know it's near impossible, but I would at least gauge their interest.

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 09:35 PM
I know it would be very difficult to sign either one of them, but you at least talk to them and see if they have any serious interest in joining the team. If either one of them does then you move players like Bertans, Mills, and Belinelli for draft picks or players you can waive to come up with cap space to sign one of them

Again I know it's near impossible, but I would at least gauge their interest.

I agree - was just speaking about it. But SA should have a lot on the table this off season. Will they be able to find a path? Who knows, but they should be exploring everything.

I really hope they dont trade White/Murray/Lonnie though for even a win-now player like this. Keep those 3, everyone else is on the block.

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 09:38 PM
I wonder if ATL would be open to trading Baze for Beli/Mills and pick?

look_at_g_shred
04-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Spurs should see if josh Jackson could be had for cheap.

tholdren
04-30-2019, 09:40 PM
The same issue that has plagued sa since the loss of tim. Spurs need someone who can score in the paint and a physical big body on d.

The low iq stats guys the spurs look to now lma,ddr,gay are too dumb, inefficient, to lead a team to anything more than rd1 exits. What is most frustrating about this group is that if they had more drive and competitiveness, they would be a really nice group. They have all shown times that they can impact the game on both ends. They just do not have the desire to win by outworking their matchup each possession.

MoSpur02
04-30-2019, 09:47 PM
I wonder if ATL would be open to trading Baze for Beli/Mills and pick?

Out of those two I'd swing for Jackson. Bazemore is also a nice player to maybe look into.

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 09:50 PM
Out of those two I'd swing for Jackson. Bazemore is also a nice player to maybe look into.

Just figured due to age and where he was drafted, Jackson would be more difficult to obtain. Not only that, but JJ has been horrific on offense. I was and have been high on him and he has shown defensive chops, but Baze should be cheaper and is much better on offense right now.

spurraider21
04-30-2019, 09:57 PM
i dont know what we can realistically do with derozan on the roster

MoSpur02
04-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Just figured due to age and where he was drafted, Jackson would be more difficult to obtain. Not only that, but JJ has been horrific on offense. I was and have been high on him and he has shown defensive chops, but Baze should be cheaper and is much better on offense right now.

I agree. Out of those two Jackson would be harder to obtain in my opinion. Bazemore is due $19 million next season. Not sure the Spurs wanna pay that much for Bazemore.

DPG21920
04-30-2019, 10:11 PM
I agree. Out of those two Jackson would be harder to obtain in my opinion. Bazemore is due $19 million next season. Not sure the Spurs wanna pay that much for Bazemore.

They are paying 17M for Beli/Mills so I think they would gladly swap those two for him.

DavidTheGoliath
04-30-2019, 10:58 PM
Del

ace3g
05-03-2019, 06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/N_Magaro/status/1124390414142906368

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5qYevHWkAE06zN.jpg:large

ace3g
05-03-2019, 07:07 PM
“I definitely still have a great relationship with them,” Huestis said. “They’re fans of my game. Depending on how all the other free-agency stuff goes with them and what their needs are, I can definitely seeing that relationship staying there. So who knows? We’ll see where this summer takes me.”

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2019/04/17/josh-huestis-nba-free-agent-but-returns-healthy-outlook-great-falls-nba/3502485002/

ace3g
05-03-2019, 08:33 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1124486899241029632

Russ
05-03-2019, 10:36 PM

Just put a gun to your head, Ime, it'll be much quicker . . . :)

Kurgan
05-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Says a lot that Udoka and Messina are being interviewed for head coaching jobs this summer while Becky is being ignored.

RC_Drunkford
05-04-2019, 07:07 AM
If Ime goes our defense will take a hit. He's actually the 1 guy on the coaching staff who I think is very important. Replacing Messina should be easy

timvp
05-04-2019, 03:08 PM
If Ime goes our defense will take a hit. He's actually the 1 guy on the coaching staff who I think is very important. Replacing Messina should be easy

Udoka says Forbes is a great defender. Not sure he's the defense expert, tbh.

Robz4000
05-04-2019, 03:29 PM

I mean, he isn't gonna call him out and say he sucks.

SpurPadre
05-04-2019, 03:39 PM
I mean, he isn't gonna call him out and say he sucks.

Yeah but to flat out lie and say the opposite of what everyone knows to be true? He never said Mills is a great defender.

Robz4000
05-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Yeah but to flat out lie and say the opposite of what everyone knows to be true? He never said Mills is a great defender.

All depends on whether he was prompted about their defense. If he went out of his way to laud Forbes' defense then he's full of it.

timtonymanu
05-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Hopefully Messina leaves first

SpurPadre
05-04-2019, 03:52 PM
All depends on whether he was prompted about their defense. If he went out of his way to laud Forbes' defense then he's full of it.

FWIW, I think Pop said Gary Neal was not a guy who was there to defend and unprompted too. I think Timmy also made sarcastic remarks about Bonner's defense. I point this out because it's not like Pop or anyone on the team to completely lie about a player's defensive flaws. So, for Ime to say that about Forbes is pretty alarming, tbh.

GreekSpursfan
05-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Forbes ended the season playing very solid defense especially in game 7 were he was the only player with cojones. Ime is not far from the truth tbh because he is projecting rather than talking about the current version of Forbes imo. All Forbes has to do is become a little stronger in the off season and he will be fine defensively, of course its easier said than done.

BackHome
05-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Forbes is not going to be a happy camper next year as he will see a dramatic decline in minutes next season. With Murray back and Walker and White both coming back stronger he just won’t get the playing time he did this year. If we can use him in a trade to get us our SF then move him no questions asked.

cd021
05-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Forbes is not going to be a happy camper next year as he will see a dramatic decline in minutes next season. With Murray back and Walker and White both coming back stronger he just won’t get the playing time he did this year. If we can use him in a trade to get us our SF then move him no questions asked.

Think Forbes has earned his role as a starter and will continue to be one on this team. Could easily see;

Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Jakob
Mills, White, Bertans, Gay

Forbes could still play around 22 mpg- down only slightly from his 28 mpg last season, with White playing the other 26 mpg at SG, off the bench, as the 6th man.

exstatic
05-04-2019, 06:50 PM

Tobias is one of those annoying players who will get a MAX contract, but never earn it. Julius would be nice.

Dverde
05-04-2019, 07:15 PM

This is a good point about his projected unhappiness. The following year he is going to leave or be overpaid by us. If we are not trading Patty, I think Forbes should be traded. He may “flourish” more on a garbage team looking for a shooter.

Russ
05-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Think Forbes has earned his role as a starter and will continue to be one on this team. Could easily see;

Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Jakob
Mills, White, Bertans, Gay

Forbes could still play around 22 mpg- down only slightly from his 28 mpg last season, with White playing the other 26 mpg at SG, off the bench, as the 6th man.

I agree.

Forbes was third in minutes on the team during both the regular season and the playoffs (behind only DDR and LMA). Forbes averaged double-figures in points during both regular season and playoffs.

In the playoffs, he hit .484% of his threes in the seven biggest games of the year.

Those who think Forbes is headed for a diminished role (or, even sillier, a trade) are just going to be disappointed.

look_at_g_shred
05-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Forbes was great for us honestly

DavidTheGoliath
05-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Pattys replacement tbh

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 05:17 AM

you got a point there. I was actually the one who posted that Udoka quote :rollin

exstatic
05-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Forbes will be the perfect bench spark.

BackHome
05-05-2019, 03:30 PM
People need to stop with the Forbes is a starter cause he is not his defense and help defensive was terrible most of the year. I am not a hater he proved he has game but he should be used as a spark and with the second unit and Yes Walker and Murray and White will take a huge amount of his playing time.

Kurgan
05-05-2019, 11:40 PM
i dont know what we can realistically do with derozan on the roster

He's a massive net negative in the starting lineup and doesn't gel well with Aldridge. He can't play offball and he's not our solution at SF either because he's one of the worst defenders in the league for his position. His inability to shoot from deep kills our already bad spacing. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective or he goes through lapses of disinterest. The only logical solution is to give him the Manu role on the bench. He can iso at will against opposing benches and he won't be as much of a liability on defense against inferior opponents. The difficulty here is convincing him to take a bench role for the betterment of the team. Derozan's one of those idiots that grew up idolizing Kobe so I very much doubt he'd be okay with a 6th man role.

cjw
05-06-2019, 12:09 AM
He's a massive net negative in the starting lineup and doesn't gel well with Aldridge. He can't play offball and he's not our solution at SF either because he's one of the worst defenders in the league for his position. His inability to shoot from deep kills our already bad spacing. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective or he goes through lapses of disinterest. The only logical solution is to give him the Manu role on the bench. He can iso at will against opposing benches and he won't be as much of a liability on defense against inferior opponents. The difficulty here is convincing him to take a bench role for the betterment of the team. Derozan's one of those idiots that grew up idolizing Kobe so I very much doubt he'd be okay with a 6th man role.

I think you suck it up and start both (for their fragile pride) and yank DDR around the 8 minute mark, and then sub him back in when Aldridge sits. Ideally you’d stagger their minutes somewhat so one is always on the floor and avoid playing them both ... especially if spacing is bad with others. In the regular season, that’s easier to do given 32 minutes or so of court time. A little more overlap in postseason. When they’re playing together, you absolutely need a floor spacer. Bertans or Forbes are more likely than Poeltl.

His defense got better but still struggles against bigger guys. To fill that gap at the three, the Spurs really need to make the MLE hit this year or turn the Patty/Beli contracts into something useful. Gay is also best used coming off the bench, and he and DDR simply can’t guard many threes.

So much depends on organic growth of Murray/White/Walker as to how the rest of the roster shakes out. If they develop well enough, hopefully it means the end of Patty/Beli. I’m fine keeping Forbes as he’s fine as a Mills replacement. Bertans will have value ... don’t let him being schemed off the court trick you too much. Worst possible matchup for him.

BackHome
05-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Curious to hear from our foreign fans on their thoughts on the possibility of bringing over C - Nikola or SF - Nemanja Dangubic?

Fusternino
05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Milutinov looks nothing like a modern 5 from the little I've seen of him. Not much better than Boban defensively on the perimeter.

NASpurs
05-06-2019, 01:21 PM
:huddle::huddle::huddle:

As Cleveland Cavaliers expand coaching search, Gregg Popovich aide Ettore Messina set to interview this week

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/as-cleveland-cavaliers-expand-coaching-search-gregg-popovich-aide-ettore-messina-set-to-interview-this-week.html (https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/as-cleveland-cavaliers-expand-coaching-search-gregg-popovich-aide-ettore-messina-set-to-interview-this-week.html)

Seventyniner
05-06-2019, 01:52 PM
FWIW, I think Pop said Gary Neal was not a guy who was there to defend and unprompted too. I think Timmy also made sarcastic remarks about Bonner's defense. I point this out because it's not like Pop or anyone on the team to completely lie about a player's defensive flaws. So, for Ime to say that about Forbes is pretty alarming, tbh.

I think Bonner had a thick enough skin and enough rapport with Tim to where those comments didn't bother him, and Neal just didn't give a fuck what anybody said. Forbes has a much thinner skin and needs to be propped up. Given Bryn's lack of elite athleticism, he can't afford to not give max effort on defense. Udoka was probably just pulling the best lever he could find.

slick'81
05-06-2019, 03:09 PM
How the fuck are we going to get rid of patty mills!?

exstatic
05-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Knock knock
Who's there?
Nagah
Nagah who?
Nagah happen this summer.

slick'81
05-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Knock knock
Who's there?
Nagah
Nagah who?

Just waiting for the jersey retirement tbh:(

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 05:23 PM

simple, we ain't

objective
05-06-2019, 05:44 PM
Curious to hear from our foreign fans on their thoughts on the possibility of bringing over C - Nikola or SF - Nemanja Dangubic?

I've watched them both quite a bit, not so much this year for Dangubic

Milutinov can play but the presence of Poeltl makes him limited in potential impact. If he's signed, I wouldn't be surprised to see him only play 30-40 games as third string center behind Poeltl and LMA.

Dangubic would be an end of the bench, 13th-15th man hustle player. No distinct difference between him and a Pondexter or other minimum guy. A little younger, more athletic for now, good defender for smaller players. Too weak to guard stronger SFs. No creator skills. Frequently injured. I would rate him below Thybulle for instance if the Spurs took Thybulle at 29. Probably below anyone else they took at 29 also.

bluebellmaniac
05-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Knock knock
Who's there?
Nagah
Nagah who?

Lol!

ace3g
05-09-2019, 12:31 AM
I guess on TNT after midnight you can broadcast F bombs by coaches -- Coach Pop takes note.

Realdeal1
05-09-2019, 12:35 AM
I know there's no shot at signing either Tobias Harris or Brooke Lopez this offseason but damn I wish we could get one of these guys

keithington1
05-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Derozan was definitely fouled by Murray on that last play when Craig blocked him. BS

cutewizard
05-10-2019, 06:22 AM
My wish is granted

The Warriors will not win the NBA title

venitian navigator
05-10-2019, 06:22 AM
anyone knows for how many years is possible to give with a MLE contract?

Drom John
05-10-2019, 01:25 PM
anyone knows for how many years is possible to give with a MLE contract?

Wikipedia

Mid-level exception

Once a year, teams can use a mid-level exception (MLE) to sign a player to a contract for a specified maximum amount. The amount of the MLE and its duration depend on the team's cap status. In the 2017 CBA, the MLE was initially set at $8.406 million in the 2017–18 season for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but under the luxury tax apron, set at $6 million above the tax line. Teams can use this exception to offer contracts of up to four years. Teams above the apron have an MLE initially set at $5.192 million, allowing contracts of up to three years. Teams with cap room, which were ineligible for the MLE before the 2011 CBA, have an MLE initially set at $4.328 million that allows two-year contracts. In subsequent seasons, all MLE amounts will be determined by applying the percentage change of the salary cap to the previous exception amount.[23]

Before the 2011 CBA, the MLE was equal to the average NBA salary for all teams over the cap; teams with cap room were then ineligible for the MLE.[7] The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008–09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[15] The MLE was $5.854 million for the 2009–10 NBA regular season.[16]

Under the 2017 CBA, the apron was initially set at $6 million above the tax line for the 2017–18 season. In a new feature, the apron will change from season to season, with the percentage change (up or down) set at half of the rate of change of the cap for that season.[10]

exstatic
05-10-2019, 02:41 PM
I know there's no shot at signing either Tobias Harris or Brooke Lopez this offseason but damn I wish we could get one of these guys

Someone is going to overpay Tobias ($20+ M), and be unhappy about it. You have to wonder if he's really any good at all if he's on his FIFTH team already. He always seems to get dumped in the middle of the season, too. Four teams have just decided that they could totally live without him, RIGHT NOW.

ducks
05-10-2019, 03:06 PM
:huddle::huddle::huddle:

As Cleveland Cavaliers expand coaching search, Gregg Popovich aide Ettore Messina set to interview this week

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/as-cleveland-cavaliers-expand-coaching-search-gregg-popovich-aide-ettore-messina-set-to-interview-this-week.html (https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/as-cleveland-cavaliers-expand-coaching-search-gregg-popovich-aide-ettore-messina-set-to-interview-this-week.html)

tbdog
05-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Warriors handed Rockets the series and Rockets choked. Spurs are in a better cap situation than Rockets.

Degoat
05-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Warriors handed Rockets the series and Rockets choked. Spurs are in a better cap situation than Rockets.

Yeah Rockets and OKC are fcked salary cap wise, unless they trade Steven Adams or Clint Capela which I doubt they’d get much value for either of those guys

BackHome
05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
They Swung They Missed.

ZeusWillJudge
05-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Harden is a selfish bastard. As good as he is, I don't see how he ever rings. I watched him sit out at the top of the circle and dribble away whole possessions - over, and over, and over. If someone hits a three on him, he's going to come down and fire one back at them. He celebrates like a jackass when he makes one, and just shrugs his shoulders when he misses three in a row. The rest of the team is an afterthought, and his efficiency would be absolute shit if the zebras didn't send him to the line 10 times a game. The Rockets really are screwed.

ZeusWillJudge
05-11-2019, 01:10 PM

After his 17th year in the league, Pop will give him a 3-yr $48M contract, and then buy him out.

CGD
05-11-2019, 08:40 PM
I wonder if DDR and Spurs can’t get to agreement on extension this summer if that signals he’ll be moved.

Biggems
05-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Murray
White
Mills
Forbes
Walker
Gay
Poeltl
Bertans
Aldridge

9 for sure under contract.....by keeping Gay, we get the full MLE to add 1 or 2 FAs. Do we bring back Beli, probably, though I would rather not. Do we bring in Milutinov (spelling)? Does Metu have an increased role? Do we graduate any other prospects from Austin, like Moore, to the main roster? Do we try and trade any of the above current roster players? Do we make any draft day trades to get a higher selection, or even add a few more selections?

slick'81
05-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Murray
White
Mills
Forbes
Walker
Gay
Poeltl
Bertans
Aldridge

9 for sure under contract.....by keeping Gay, we get the full MLE to add 1 or 2 FAs. Do we bring back Beli, probably, though I would rather not. Do we bring in Milutinov (spelling)? Does Metu have an increased role? Do we graduate any other prospects from Austin, like Moore, to the main roster? Do we try and trade any of the above current roster players? Do we make any draft day trades to get a higher selection, or even add a few more selections?

Belli is still under contract is he not?

Biggems
05-12-2019, 09:00 PM

I think you are correct, is it a team option?

slick'81
05-12-2019, 09:41 PM
I think you are correct, is it a team option?

Believe its fully guaranteed but i could be wrong

Payote75
05-12-2019, 11:23 PM
With the two picks we have I would be fine with trading LA and or Derozen. I'd want picks and at least one star player from one of the deals a small forward who could shoot and play defense. Let's begin to fantasize some decent trades. I like our backcourt with a healthy Murray. If we could turn derozan into that small forward and Aldridge into picks and a solid player Id be all for it.

TimDunkem
05-12-2019, 11:30 PM
With the two picks we have I would be fine with trading LA and or Derozen. I'd want picks and at least one star player from one of the deals a small forward who could shoot and play defense. Let's begin to fantasize some decent trades. I like our backcourt with a healthy Murray. If we could turn derozan into that small forward and Aldridge into picks and a solid player Id be all for it.

Why do that to ourselves? This team won't trade DD because of "class", "wouldn't be fair to DD", "not the Spurs way, and "we're getting Murray back. :cry"

JeffDuncan
05-12-2019, 11:36 PM
With the two picks we have I would be fine with trading LA and or Derozen. ...

LA is worth 21.3 points and 9.2 rebounds per game. DDR is worth 21.2 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.

We need to get back 42.5 points and 15.2 rebounds per game. Where do we get that?

Nathan89
05-13-2019, 01:31 AM
If Knicks are looking to make a big move this summer then the spurs could get some of their young assets and clear up their useless player contracts in a trade for LMA. Signing two big free agents plus adding LMA would be a nice haul.

BackHome
05-13-2019, 12:22 PM
And what the fuck are we getting?

JeffDuncan
05-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Spurs under contract through next season. Name, dollar amount for next season, stats from this season, regular season games.

Aldridge, $26M
81 games, 33 min/game, 21.3 ppg, 9.2 reb/gm.

Belinelli, $5.8M
79 games, 23 min/game, 10.5 ppg, 2.5 reb. Infamous for lack of defense.

Bertans, $7M
76 games, 21.5 min/game, 8 ppg, 3.5 reb.

DeRozan, $27.7M
77 games, 34.9 min, 21.2 pts, 6 reb, 6.2 assts.

Forbes, $2.875M
82 games, 28 min, 11.8 pts, 2.9 reb, 2.1 assts.

Mills, $12.4M
82 gms, 23.3 min, 9.9 pts, 2.2 rebs, 3 assts. Defends like a barnacle on a shark.

Murray, $2.3M
Injured.

Poeltl, $3.75M
77 gms, 16.5 min, 5.5 pts, 5.3 rebs.

Walker $2.76M
17 gms, 6.9 min, 2.6 pts, 1 reb.

White, $1.95M
67 gms, 25.8 min, 9.9 pts, 3.7 rebs, 3.9 assts.

* Gay, no, his contract has ended, was $10M. 69 gms, 26.7 min, 13.7 pts, 6.8 rebs. Those stats are significant, for offering him another contract, or for replacing him.

* Cunningham and Pondexter, no, their contracts have ended. Their combined stats are about 4 pts and 3 rebs. Their total cost was about 4.6M.

* I don't know about Metu. Bb ref dot com says he signed a 3 yr, but shows nothing beyond this season.

exstatic
05-13-2019, 03:13 PM

And Demar?

slick'81
05-13-2019, 03:33 PM
And Demar?

And patty?

exstatic
05-13-2019, 03:53 PM
And patty?

Patty's actually on his list, under his last name.

My count was 11, if they cut Metu. That jives with his list, if you add in the missing two players.

slick'81
05-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Patty's actually on his list, under his last name.

My count was 11, if they cut Metu. That jives with his list, if you add in the missing two players.

Yes sir.A trade could really help open things up at sg

Payote75
05-13-2019, 10:39 PM
I didn't say give them away but maybe a team needs a very good all start mid range assassin and have an equal quality small forward to give back which improves us at one position. I think a back court of white and Murray and Forbes rotation would be fine if your adding a small forward that can average 20 pts a game the qu Ston is who??? Same thing for LA not giving him away but again maybe get younger take a lesser player with big upside but we do have some pieces in place. I'm just exhausting all possibilities and I definitely have nothing against DD or LA just want this team comeback strong.

Dex
05-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Would've loved to see Brett come back as an assistant, but looks like he will get another year to try to right the ship.

TDMVPDPOY
05-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Would've loved to see Brett come back as an assistant, but looks like he will get another year to try to right the ship.

why would the student return to the cuckoos nest?....seems like most ex spurs assistant coaches are doing fine in the league, hopefully messina gets a gig or even udoka...

ace3g
05-15-2019, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1128770612342775809

DPG21920
05-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Even though it’s just Windhorst bullsh*t, even hearing the thought of Zion pulling some crap to leverage NO makes my blood boil.

cutewizard
05-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Its Giannis time guys

cutewizard
05-15-2019, 07:40 PM
Eastern Finals guys, your bets?

sasaint
05-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Eastern Finals guys, your bets?

Bucks have star power as well as great depth. That's my pick.

CGD
05-15-2019, 08:05 PM
I wonder if DDR and Spurs can’t get to agreement on extension this summer if that signals he’ll be moved.

Assume DDR has been non-commital about extension in exit interviews. Do you move him now to Lakers for #4 + a gimpy Ingram? Not so sure Lakers will do that much better this offseason in terms of landing a star tbqh.

palangi
05-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Assume DDR has been non-commital about extension in exit interviews. Do you move him now to Lakers for #4 + a gimpy Ingram? Not so sure Lakers will do that much better this offseason in terms of landing a star tbqh.

I would absolutely do it

GAustex
05-15-2019, 08:18 PM
I would absolutely do it
#4 and Ingram for DDR?
Absolutely

slick'81
05-15-2019, 08:23 PM

lakers wouldnt touch that

CGD
05-15-2019, 08:48 PM
lakers wouldnt touch that

Lots of things would have to break the right way obviously, but I also think the Lakers missed an opportunity at the trade deadline. The Ingram news is not great for them, the path to AD seems further away now, Lebron is still hard to play with, etc. Who exactly are they landing?

Russ
05-15-2019, 09:02 PM
Lots of things would have to break the right way obviously, but I also think the Lakers missed an opportunity at the trade deadline. The Ingram news is not great for them, the path to AD seems further away now, Lebron is still hard to play with, etc. Who exactly are they landing?

They may be looking at Jimmy Butler.

spurraider21
05-15-2019, 09:31 PM
bring over erazem lorbek

slick'81
05-15-2019, 09:44 PM
They may be looking at Jimmy Butler.

And kemba/kyrie etc

CGD
05-15-2019, 10:03 PM
And kemba/kyrie etc

I get it, and again lots of things would have to break the right way, but

- the New York teams will have $$ to throw at one of those pgs; knicks certainly banking on Kyrie/Durant pairing
- Philly is going to throw ass load of $$ at Butler; they need something to show for emptying the asset warchest
- if I’m NOLA im not really in a rush to take a subpar Laker offer, or any frankly, until Feb. 2020. Boston is lurking too with better offers after the Ingram health news
- the other LA team will take a run at Jimmy if Leonard stays in Toronto.

Whose really left? Tobias Harris?

BackHome
05-15-2019, 10:43 PM
Agree Flakers are all screwed up they don’t know if they coming or going hell even talk about trading Lebron. The funny thing with Lebron is that he does not have a trade clause with the Flakers meaning they could trade him to any team including NO or Toronto. Lol

kobyz
05-16-2019, 05:59 AM
Spurs should go hard after Bradley Beal, Washington probably going all tank and rebuild with Wall out for a year and how mass they are, they will want expiring contracts and future assets, spurs should trade Bertans, Bellinelli, Forbes, Walker, #19, #29, Milutinov rights and a future first...

cutewizard
05-16-2019, 06:19 AM
Spurs should go hard after Bradley Beal, Washington probably going all tank and rebuild with Wall out for a year and how mass they are, they will want expiring contracts and future assets, spurs should trade Bertans, Bellinelli, Forbes, Walker, #19, #29, Milutinov rights and a future first...

Sounds good

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2019, 07:21 AM

just trade DeRozan for Beal, much better

MoSpur02
05-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Spurs need a player on the roster like a Kevin Willis, Mario Ellie, or JR Reid. A tough guy.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Spurs need a player on the roster like a Kevin Willis, Mario Ellie, or JR Reid. A tough guy.

Marcus Morris

r0drig0lac
05-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Spurs need two or three players on the roster like a Kevin Willis, Mario Ellie, or JR Reid. A tough guy.

SpursBig3s
05-16-2019, 11:13 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/airalamo.com/2019/05/13/san-antonio-spurs-exploring-deal-free-agent-thaddeus-young/amp/

Spurs interested in Thaddeus Young?

MoSpur02
05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Marcus Morris

Good one. The Spurs need a dirty/tough player on their roster. Even a Will Perdue type. A thug even ala Stephen Jackson type.

CGD
05-16-2019, 01:22 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/airalamo.com/2019/05/13/san-antonio-spurs-exploring-deal-free-agent-thaddeus-young/amp/

Misleading title.

gambit1990
05-16-2019, 01:24 PM
sign aminu and mcgee.

timvp
05-16-2019, 01:27 PM
Misleading title.

Exactly. Fake news, clickbait title, tbh.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Young would be a nice fit though, as long as everybody shoots the 3 well in the starting line up, which is a huge question mark. I wouldn't be mad if we got him. Air Alamo is basically some guy from reddit with a website who reads spurstalk. That site has 0 sources

Jsn
05-16-2019, 07:40 PM
I'm inclined to believe that LJ Ellis is correct in the assumption that we'll be having another go with the pretty much the same roster. It's not likely that PATFO are going to, nor should that want to, make any huge changes to the roster just 1 year removed from #2 departing. Corporate knowledge/culture has to be re-solidified if we want to make a run at a title any time soon, and I believe the pieces for that are already on the roster.

Once Murray returns, we should have no problems competing with any back court in the NBA. Most people seem to believe DJ will return to PG and White will fill in the SG spot. I think DJ is better suited at the 2 and White should be running the team. White has already proven to have the IQ to run a team, he just needs a little more seasoning. White is a constant threat from anywhere on the floor. He's shown he can pull up for 3 off the dribble, run a pick and roll with efficiency, as well as having excellent court vision. His finishes at the rim leave something to be desired but I believe he can work on that.

I'm not trying to take anything away from DJ, I know he's been working hard and we all see that he's working on his 3 point shot. But I can't picture DJ hitting 3s off the dribble, yet, at the same efficiency White would be able to if the situation called for it. DJ would be better suited as a spot up 3pt shooter. I don't think Murray needs the ball in his hands to be efficient on the offensive end of the court, his elite hustle will get points and assist on the board, as will his defense. Obviously he would still have ball handling duties, but the bulk of that needs to go to White. If DJ and White can learn to co-exist on the court together we'll be dangerous again.

Another thing that has been on my mind is Demar Derozan's roll on this team. His lack of a 3pt shot hurts the starting line up too much, it doesn't leave enough room for LA to work. Watching Demar in the playoffs pass up on open 3s and drive into the teeth of the defense only to kick out to a shooter who was being defended was frustrating, we became so predictable. I know it seems crazy and it probably would never happen, but having Demar come off the bench I think would work wonders for this team. DDR would feast on opposing teams 2nd units if we surround him shooters like Bertans, Forbes, Mills, and Marco. It would open up the floor up the floor for LA and take pressure off of DJ and Derrick in regards to trying to get Demar his shots.

So who would start in place of Demar? I'd go with Lonnie Walker, maybe not right away, but something to work toward. Lonnie already passes the eye test and if left open, I think he'll be a knock down 3pt shooter. It is apparent Walker has all the skills to be an all-star in this league. It would also accelerate his growth which we desperately need from him.

Starting PG: White
Starting SG: Murray
Starting SF: Walker
Starting PF: Gay
Starting C: LA

That would give us 4 guys in starting line up who can all knock down 3s as well as make plays off the dribble. Leaving LA as our 2pt specialist on the starting unit and Demar as the 2pt specialist on the 2nd unit. The defensive implications of this starting line-up are obvious.

If KD departs from Golden State, and barring a situation where the Lakers somehow get Kawhi and AD, I think the door is wide open for our team to make another run. GO SPURS GO

BackHome
05-16-2019, 08:04 PM
If Walker can stay healthy and keep grinding away I think he will make a huge impact on this team.

Duncan87
05-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Looking for link but read that Rockets going after Rudy gay for potential starter

ZeusWillJudge
05-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Looking for link but read that Rockets going after Rudy gay for potential starter

Why the hell would any player want to be starting with that black hole? Bust your ass for 82 games and then watch that bearded dick dribble away possessions in the playoffs?

I think they've got something like $120M committed, so I don't know how they think they're going to pull it off, but if he actually wanted to play there, he should probably do it.

Realdeal1
05-16-2019, 11:05 PM
I get the feeling that Lamarcus , Belinelli, and Bertans will be on the trading block this summer .. and Rudy Gay may leave in free agency ... just a feeling

tbdog
05-17-2019, 05:57 PM
For those interested, Tyreke Evans career is over violating the drug policy.

BWS-1994
05-17-2019, 06:13 PM

He got caught after their season was over :wow

mo7888
05-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Powell turns down his 10.2M player option in Dallas to become a FA

Duncan2177
05-20-2019, 08:36 PM

What a dumbass.

Indianman
05-21-2019, 08:29 AM
Frank Ntilikana reportedly wants a trade from the Knicks.
Like, doesn't everybody?

exstatic
05-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Frank Ntilikana reportedly wants a trade from the Knicks.
Like, doesn't everybody?

I'd easily take him for #29, if they'd do the deal. He was a major prospect in 2017, is a 6'6"X7'0" PG who can guard multiple positions, is still not quite 21, and is on a rookie deal with team control for two more years. That's a reclamation/development project worth taking on. His career seems to be on a near identical track to Mudiay, who, coincidentally bumped him out of NY's rotation last year. Mudiay was the #7 overall pick that Denver threw in the towel with after two + seasons. Ntilikina was the #8 overall pick that NY seems to be throwing in the towel with after two seasons.

Denver got the corpse of Devin Harris, plus an exchange of second rounders in a three way trade when they dumped Mudiay.

Ocotillo
05-21-2019, 10:00 AM
I'd easily take him for #29, if they'd do the deal. He was a major prospect in 2017, is a 6'6"X7'0" PG who can guard multiple positions, is still not quite 21, and is on a rookie deal with team control for two more years. That's a reclamation/development project worth taking on. His career seems to be on a near identical track to Mudiay, who, coincidentally bumped him out of NY's rotation last year. Mudiay was the #7 overall pick that Denver threw in the towel with after two + seasons. Ntilikina was the #8 overall pick that NY seems to be throwing in the towel with after two seasons.

Denver got the corpse of Devin Harris, plus an exchange of second rounders in a three way trade when they dumped Mudiay.

The post says he (the player) wants a trade, not sure if the Knicks have gotten to the point they are ready to move on from him.

ZeusWillJudge
05-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Ntilikina has been amazingly bad. I know it's the Knicks, and I know that stats don't always tell the whole story. But his numbers are off the charts bad. To the point that it's fair to say that he's been the worst rotation player in the league. (Don't count guys who only get spot minutes.) It's hard to see past numbers that bad. Maybe he'd look better on another team. Maybe. But not enough better to spend a first round pick on him

exstatic
05-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Ntilikina has been amazingly bad. I know it's the Knicks, and I know that stats don't always tell the whole story. But his numbers are off the charts bad. To the point that it's fair to say that he's been the worst rotation player in the league. (Don't count guys who only get spot minutes.) It's hard to see past numbers that bad. Maybe he'd look better on another team. Maybe. But not enough better to spend a first round pick on him

Mudiay was just as horrible, and actually put up good numbers this past season for NY, 14.8p/3.9a/3.3r on 45% shooting. Look at his earlier numbers. They sucked as bad as Ntilikina's. PGs sometimes need some seasoning.

One hidden stat was that as a rookie, Ntilikina had the best PnR PPP against (0.65) in the league, just ahead of Jrue Holiday. He's an ELITE PnR defender in a PnR league. An article I read also said that he may have another inch to grow, taking him up to 6'7".

RC_Drunkford
05-21-2019, 10:59 AM
there were rumors that the Spurs were interested in Ntilikina at the beginning of last season when the defense had more holes than swiss cheese. I don't see how we need another PG prospect though, especially one who can't shoot. We have to many guards on the roster already. What we need is SF/PFs who can defend and shoot the 3.

cutewizard
05-21-2019, 11:10 AM
:bobo

toki9
05-21-2019, 11:40 AM
The post says he (the player) wants a trade, not sure if the Knicks have gotten to the point they are ready to move on from him.

Marc Berman of the NYPost:

"Ntilikina, who suffered through an injury-marred second season (https://nypost.com/2019/03/26/frank-ntilikinas-knicks-season-might-officially-be-a-waste/), will likely be shopped on draft night as the Knicks look to add another selection — either late in the first round or early in the second.

Ndiaye denied to The Post speculation Ntilikina, who is currently in France, changed agents because of his status or that he wants to be traded.

“I can just tell you that the fact he was not traded has nothing to do with this change of agent,” Ndiaye said. “Frank is extremely happy to be part of the Knicks.”

The motivation to trade Ntilikina for a pick is saving $5 million in cap space that would ensure being able to exercise team options on Damyean Dotson and Allonzo Trier.
The Post first reported the Knicks will look to move Ntilikina. The Frenchman could be eager for a fresh start after being drafted in 2017 by Phil Jackson, who was fired days later."

pad300
05-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Not sure I'm willing to hand the knicks assets for Ntilikina. For that player and to eat that $5 million or so, I would want them to send me assets...

3&D_TBH
05-21-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm inclined to believe that LJ Ellis is correct in the assumption that we'll be having another go with the pretty much the same roster. It's not likely that PATFO are going to, nor should that want to, make any huge changes to the roster just 1 year removed from #2 departing. Corporate knowledge/culture has to be re-solidified if we want to make a run at a title any time soon, and I believe the pieces for that are already on the roster.

Once Murray returns, we should have no problems competing with any back court in the NBA. Most people seem to believe DJ will return to PG and White will fill in the SG spot. I think DJ is better suited at the 2 and White should be running the team. White has already proven to have the IQ to run a team, he just needs a little more seasoning. White is a constant threat from anywhere on the floor. He's shown he can pull up for 3 off the dribble, run a pick and roll with efficiency, as well as having excellent court vision. His finishes at the rim leave something to be desired but I believe he can work on that.

I'm not trying to take anything away from DJ, I know he's been working hard and we all see that he's working on his 3 point shot. But I can't picture DJ hitting 3s off the dribble, yet, at the same efficiency White would be able to if the situation called for it. DJ would be better suited as a spot up 3pt shooter. I don't think Murray needs the ball in his hands to be efficient on the offensive end of the court, his elite hustle will get points and assist on the board, as will his defense. Obviously he would still have ball handling duties, but the bulk of that needs to go to White. If DJ and White can learn to co-exist on the court together we'll be dangerous again.

Another thing that has been on my mind is Demar Derozan's roll on this team. His lack of a 3pt shot hurts the starting line up too much, it doesn't leave enough room for LA to work. Watching Demar in the playoffs pass up on open 3s and drive into the teeth of the defense only to kick out to a shooter who was being defended was frustrating, we became so predictable. I know it seems crazy and it probably would never happen, but having Demar come off the bench I think would work wonders for this team. DDR would feast on opposing teams 2nd units if we surround him shooters like Bertans, Forbes, Mills, and Marco. It would open up the floor up the floor for LA and take pressure off of DJ and Derrick in regards to trying to get Demar his shots.

So who would start in place of Demar? I'd go with Lonnie Walker, maybe not right away, but something to work toward. Lonnie already passes the eye test and if left open, I think he'll be a knock down 3pt shooter. It is apparent Walker has all the skills to be an all-star in this league. It would also accelerate his growth which we desperately need from him.

Starting PG: White
Starting SG: Murray
Starting SF: Walker
Starting PF: Gay
Starting C: LA

That would give us 4 guys in starting line up who can all knock down 3s as well as make plays off the dribble. Leaving LA as our 2pt specialist on the starting unit and Demar as the 2pt specialist on the 2nd unit. The defensive implications of this starting line-up are obvious.

If KD departs from Golden State, and barring a situation where the Lakers somehow get Kawhi and AD, I think the door is wide open for our team to make another run. GO SPURS GO

If DD would put his pride aside, then this could really help the team. I like this a lot. Good post.

exstatic
05-21-2019, 12:24 PM
there were rumors that the Spurs were interested in Ntilikina at the beginning of last season when the defense had more holes than swiss cheese. I don't see how we need another PG prospect though, especially one who can't shoot. We have to many guards on the roster already. What we need is SF/PFs who can defend and shoot the 3.

Rumor has it that he's 6'7" now. He can also most definitely defend up a position or two. Watched him stone both PG and RW in an MLK day game. Why not as a SF position conversion reclamation project? We've got the shot doctor on staff, too.

Guys, this is half of "buy low, sell high". It's unnerving to grab someone who hasn't done shit other than defend at a high level, so far. No one knows if he can be turned into a complete NBA player, but if anyone can' it would be the Spurs. This is very much a shit draft, so if you're going to take a flyer on an unknown quantity, this #29 is probably less valuable than any in the last 10 years.

cjw
05-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Not sure I'm willing to hand the knicks assets for Ntilikina. For that player and to eat that $5 million or so, I would want them to send me assets...

This. If it were August, then they may be able to get an asset for him. But teams will be tightening the screws on the Knicks knowing every penny is valuable to them in July.

Plus, I’d rather take a flyer on 29 and pay him $1.7 or so a year for each of the first years and a reasonable amount for year 4. A pick is always more valuable before a selection is made, as there’s optionality.

ZeusWillJudge
05-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Mudiay was just as horrible, and actually put up good numbers this past season for NY, 14.8p/3.9a/3.3r on 45% shooting. Look at his earlier numbers. They sucked as bad as Ntilikina's. PGs sometimes need some seasoning.

One hidden stat was that as a rookie, Ntilikina had the best PnR PPP against (0.65) in the league, just ahead of Jrue Holiday. He's an ELITE PnR defender in a PnR league. An article I read also said that he may have another inch to grow, taking him up to 6'7".

Well I'll take your word for the PnR defense. I don't know if there's more to the story, but that's what the numbers say, so okay. That would be the first bright spot I've seen on him.

I just happened to be digging into who the worst player in the league were, and his name kept popping up on every search. I'm not going to bust his balls over this season, because of the injuries. But if you look at last season - players with at least 1,000 minutes played who had an EFG% lower than .420? There's only one - Ntilikina. He played 1,700 minutes, so it's not a small sample size. Maybe they gave him minutes because of the defense, but I think they were mostly just trying to allow him to develop.

He had an ORTG of 89. Eighty-fucking-nine. He played 43 games and 904 minutes this year, and had an ORTG of 88.
And if you start looking at advanced stats, it just keeps going like that. Mudiay was bad, but even he wasn't that bad. I really can't say more than that, because I never followed either one of them (and I hope I never do). But if Mudiay was able to improve his numbers in NY, and Ntilikina can't, I'm not sure how that argues in favor of Ntilikina being worthwhile.

mo7888
05-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Rumor has it that he's 6'7" now. He can also most definitely defend up a position or two. Watched him stone both PG and RW in an MLK day game. Why not as a SF position conversion reclamation project? We've got the shot doctor on staff, too.

Guys, this is half of "buy low, sell high". It's unnerving to grab someone who hasn't done shit other than defend at a high level, so far. No one knows if he can be turned into a complete NBA player, but if anyone can' it would be the Spurs. This is very much a shit draft, so if you're going to take a flyer on an unknown quantity, this #29 is probably less valuable than any in the last 10 years.

I'm not sure he can play the sf position but, if he can I'd do it. I'd also do it if I were moving White or Murray in a package to move up in the draft.

exstatic
05-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Well I'll take your word for the PnR defense. I don't know if there's more to the story, but that's what the numbers say, so okay. That would be the first bright spot I've seen on him.

I just happened to be digging into who the worst player in the league were, and his name kept popping up on every search. I'm not going to bust his balls over this season, because of the injuries. But if you look at last season - players with at least 1,000 minutes played who had an EFG% lower than .420? There's only one - Ntilikina. He played 1,700 minutes, so it's not a small sample size. Maybe they gave him minutes because of the defense, but I think they were mostly just trying to allow him to develop.

He had an ORTG of 89. Eighty-fucking-nine. He played 43 games and 904 minutes this year, and had an ORTG of 88.
And if you start looking at advanced stats, it just keeps going like that. Mudiay was bad, but even he wasn't that bad. I really can't say more than that, because I never followed either one of them (and I hope I never do). But if Mudiay was able to improve his numbers in NY, and Ntilikina can't, I'm not sure how that argues in favor of Ntilikina being worthwhile.

Mudiay was drafted in 2015, and took 2.5 years in the oven to "bake" into a playable PG. Ntilikina was drafted in 2017. This would be his 3rd season. TBH, he may not break out this year. It took Chauncey Billups longer than that. He didn't shoot 40% from the field until year 4, and was roundly considered a bust, and he went to a major college program for 3 years, entering the NBA at 21. A future six time All Star was on the edge of busting out of the league.

CGD
05-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Powell turns down his 10.2M player option in Dallas to become a FA

Bad advice

CGD
05-21-2019, 08:00 PM

I mean if they take Belli and a 2nd then OK.

mo7888
05-21-2019, 08:01 PM
Bad advice

Agreed

ZeusWillJudge
05-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Mudiay was drafted in 2015, and took 2.5 years in the oven to "bake" into a playable PG. Ntilikina was drafted in 2017. This would be his 3rd season. TBH, he may not break out this year. It took Chauncey Billups longer than that. He didn't shoot 40% from the field until year 4, and was roundly considered a bust, and he went to a major college program for 3 years, entering the NBA at 21. A future six time All Star was on the edge of busting out of the league.

No, I hear you. Some guys develop late. I'm telling you, though, I was doing all kinds of searches for the worst of the worst, and Ntilikina's name kept popping up at or near the top of them. He was abysmally bad, and it's not just his shooting. Maybe
Ntilikina will improve. I wouldn't bet a first round pick on it. More to the point, I think the Spurs can draft someone who will be better in two years than Ntilikina will be. And Ntilikina is going to cost $12M over the next two years.

We're going to have to disagree about Billups, though. He played more than 2,000 minutes his rookie season, and shot over .400 on his 2-pointers. It was his 3's that drug his overall FG% down early in his career. He got to the line a good amount, and shot something like 85% from the line. Then he got injured, and wound up having shoulder surgery. He had a rough start to his career, but at his worst he was not even in the ballpark with how bad Ntilikina has played.

cutewizard
05-22-2019, 02:32 AM
The Bucks lost today, fuck

cutewizard
05-22-2019, 02:32 AM
Fucking Raptors

ace3g
05-27-2019, 09:15 AM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1133013215959539717

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-27-2019, 10:07 AM

I like the idea as a reclamation project but not for the 29th pick. I could see him playing the 3 also. I don’t know what else besides the pick the Knicks would want though.

r0drig0lac
05-27-2019, 10:36 AM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1133013215959539717

Brooklyn Spurs

ace3g
06-01-2019, 11:25 AM
https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/1134434547729408001

r0drig0lac
06-01-2019, 12:07 PM
I like Keselj, Singleton, Dangubic, Toupane and Thanasis

ace3g
06-01-2019, 03:20 PM
I like Keselj, Singleton, Dangubic, Toupane and Thanasis

Thanasis Antetokounmpo has better form on his jumpshot than both Giannis and Kostas. Has good size for a SF and has the speed/power to guard 1-4.

Wouldn't be the first time the Spurs signed a player from Euroleague, I wonder if they would consider any of these players.

Of course the Spurs also own the rights to Dangubic - could this be the year he comes over?

CGD
06-05-2019, 10:21 PM
When will we know more about “sacrificial lamb’s” extension talks? Is there a deadline? That’s the move to watch in my opinion.

bklynspursfan
06-06-2019, 10:12 AM

bklynspursfan
06-06-2019, 10:21 AM
HOTS