PDA

View Full Version : Coaching isn't the problem...

SpurPadre
04-21-2019, 12:26 AM
neither are the rotation decisions aside from not wanting to give Donatas time over Bertans, which doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. The real problem was the stubbornness and pride of Pop standing pat at the deadline when it's been extremely obvious all season this team needed an upgrade. I get that you can't force teams to make deals with you but Pop went out of his way to make jokes about NOT wanting to make trades as if they were the 96 Bulls. Every other team with similar records at least made it known that they were open to making their team better via trade but Pop shut the idea down any time he was asked about it. That's the one thing that's annoyed me the most about him other than his inexplicable love for Bonner. If he simply couldn't find a willing trade partner, fine but to make jokes about it as if this team was beneath the idea of trading has always been infuriating. And now, the decision to stand pat is showing clearly for anyone to see. Yes, LMA, DeRozan and White need a couple of breathers but if Pop bothered to have a somewhat competent and versatile bench, they wouldn't feel such immense pressure to do everything for the team. So no, the coaching isn't at fault for using the hand they're dealt with but it's the personnel decisions and indecisions and the sheer mockery of the notion of making trades that's at fault.

TheGreatYacht
04-21-2019, 01:39 AM
"We like what we have"

"Patty is the team's inspiration"

"There are more important things than a kid's game"

These are actual quotes from a dumbass being paid handsomely to run a team and gets credit for the work African Americans put it.

monty4329
04-21-2019, 01:53 AM
neither are the rotation decisions aside from not wanting to give Donatas time over Bertans, which doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. The real problem was the stubbornness and pride of Pop standing pat at the deadline when it's been extremely obvious all season this team needed an upgrade. I get that you can't force teams to make deals with you but Pop went out of his way to make jokes about NOT wanting to make trades as if they were the 96 Bulls. Every other team with similar records at least made it known that they were open to making their team better via trade but Pop shut the idea down any time he was asked about it. That's the one thing that's annoyed me the most about him other than his inexplicable love for Bonner. If he simply couldn't find a willing trade partner, fine but to make jokes about it as if this team was beneath the idea of trading has always been infuriating. And now, the decision to stand pat is showing clearly for anyone to see. Yes, LMA, DeRozan and White need a couple of breathers but if Pop bothered to have a somewhat competent and versatile bench, they wouldn't feel such immense pressure to do everything for the team. So no, the coaching isn't at fault for using the hand they're dealt with but it's the personnel decisions and indecisions and the sheer mockery of the notion of making trades that's at fault.

This might be true, but this personnel was good enough to go TWICE up 19 on the road. Or to dominate the first quarter tonight.

the bench was the best in the league for months. Injury happen (Gay and Beli can barely walk), some teams react whilst some others piss in their pants and complain to the refs. It is on the coaching staff to adjust to in-game situations: Denver did it, SA didn't. Simple as that.

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2019, 06:25 AM
OP is right. 1 good wing that can play D and we got this series. But coaching has also been an issue, because Pop always pisses away leads in the 2nd quarter by running out a Mills/Belinelli back court. It happened in Game 2. It also happened in Game 3, but Derrick White got us back in the game. It happened in this game, as soon as they see the floor the Nuggets go on a 7 point run. Pop then decides to take a time out and brings out the same line up. Him being mad now might finally make him realize that he has to change it up.

NameLess Scrub
04-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Also why does Pop keep sending help to Jokic? Is he really more dangerous one on one? Seems like so many open 3s..

Spurs fever
04-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Would anyone want Tobias Harris in the off-season?

TXstbobcat
04-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Would anyone want Tobias Harris in the off-season?

Spurs won’t have the cap space to sign Tobias Harris.

jjktkk
04-21-2019, 10:32 AM
"We like what we have"

"Patty is the team's inspiration"

"There are more important things than a kid's game"

These are actual quotes from a dumbass being paid handsomely to run a team and gets credit for the work African Americans put it.

:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: faggott

jjktkk
04-21-2019, 10:42 AM

Totally fair point. Spurs fans need to remember to separate Pop the coach, from Pop the GM. Pop the coach is still one of the best , but Pop the GM has made some really bad signings with the Gasol and Patty contracts recently. Although I understand Mills being resigned for his leadership and experience., I still hate the contract. I do like the youth and potential going forward, but this roster needs some revamping in the offseason.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Honestly, it's both. The Spurs lack talent/depth in some key positions. But yesterday the lineups were so god awful. Pop basically waived the flag in the 3rd quarter. The shitty lineup of Mills and Belli came in and never really left. Aldridge never came back in. I don't think waiving the flag with 15+ minutes down 10-12 points is acceptable. This is a playoff series. How many double digit leads have the Nuggets erased this series?!

dbreiden83080
04-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Denver shot the lights out in the 2nd half. What shrewd coaching move was going to stop that? Was Bruce Bowen, Manu, Tony and Tim coming on over after visiting the fountain of youth?

Rummpd
04-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Honestly, it's both. The Spurs lack talent/depth in some key positions. But yesterday the lineups were so god awful. Pop basically waived the flag in the 3rd quarter. The shitty lineup of Mills and Belli came in and never really left. Aldridge never came back in. I don't think waiving the flag with 15+ minutes down 10-12 points is acceptable. This is a playoff series. How many double digit leads have the Nuggets erased this series?!
This is spot on