PDA

View Full Version : Complimentary (but inaccurate) article on Derrick White

R. DeMurre
04-22-2019, 12:21 PM
"...he is a smart player, and he knows how to use his keen sense for momentum and angles and timing to compensate for a lack of overwhelming athleticism and skill. In other words, he’s a perfect Spur."

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/22/18510714/nba-playoffs-new-class-siakam-white-levert-harrell

It's funny how writers who don't follow the Spurs closely just glom on to some cliche, like "they're not athletic, but they play smart" and run with it. One of the first impressive things Derrick White did after college was dominate at the NBA draft combine. Here's a quote about his performance:

"Colorado Guard Derrick White posted the second best three-quarter sprint time at 3.08 (97th percentile historically) and tied for the third best standing vertical leap at 35.5 (99th percentile historically). The D2 transfer combo guard was a rather unheralded prospect until this season. White measured 6'4.5 with shoes with a 6'7.5 wingspan which is very similar to the physical measurements of Chicago Bulls guard Jerian Grant, but his athletic testing results are very similar to those of Mike Conley's."

https://www.ralphiereport.com/buffaloes-basketball/2017/5/18/15648530/derrick-white-impresses-2017-nba-draft-combine-colorado-buffaloes-basketball

I'm glad he's getting some positive reviews in the sports media, but I'd be more impressed if they recognized that teams overlooked him because of the unusual route he took, playing D2 in college and only having one year of D1 at Colorado, and also because of the unusual late growth spurt that helped him.

ZeusWillJudge
04-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Absolute truth, top to bottom. (Your comments, not the story.)

Lazy reporting. I don't especially care what the idiot sportswriters think. It doesn't change what happens on the court. But sometimes I just have to shake my head at how stupid they can be and still get paid to write stories.

R. DeMurre
04-22-2019, 12:49 PM
:tu I think next year will really challenge people's views of what a "typical Spur" is when Lonnie Walker puts on ridiculous displays of athleticism while working to tighten up on fundamentals.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-22-2019, 01:12 PM
:tu I think next year will really challenge people's views of what a "typical Spur" is when Lonnie Walker puts on ridiculous displays of athleticism while working to tighten up on fundamentals.

Your opening take is spot on. A lot of these writers obviously don't know much about teams that aren't overly followed by the major media outlets but they try and pretend like they do.

It is going to be very interesting to see what they say about Lonnie if he actually gets real time on the court and excels

8FOR!3
04-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Derrick White comes across as more sneaky athletic to me. Clearly he is very athletic but it doesn't jump at you like Lonnie Walker's. The eye test tells me that Walker is a little more athletic, he looks like the most athletic person on the floor just about every time I've seen him play. You can tell that White is fast and can jump though there's no doubt about that.

exstatic
04-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Derrick White comes across as more sneaky athletic to me. Clearly he is very athletic but it doesn't jump at you like Lonnie Walker's. The eye test tells me that Walker is a little more athletic, he looks like the most athletic person on the floor just about every time I've seen him play. You can tell that White is fast and can jump though there's no doubt about that.

In a way, he's kind of like Diaw. Diaw had MAD hops, but usually chose to play below the rim. When Derrick chooses to dunk, I'm almost always surprised. He doesn't tip his hand by charging in full speed. He's usually on cruise control, puts on a late burst, an turns the ball over to dunk it.

wildbill2u
04-22-2019, 05:34 PM
In a way, he's kind of like Diaw. Diaw had MAD hops, but usually chose to play below the rim. When Derrick chooses to dunk, I'm almost always surprised. He doesn't tip his hand by charging in full speed. He's usually on cruise control, puts on a late burst, an turns the ball over to dunk it.

I was surprised that he clocked such good times in the combine showing. He's one of those guys that just seemingly glides along and then blows past. Sneaky fast. You know Gervin was kinda like that in the way he covered territory. That's how he got to the basket for those finger rolls.

TD 21
04-22-2019, 05:50 PM
The usual backhanded compliment bullshit. I guess Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and scumbag, all lacked overwhelming skill.

DAF86
04-22-2019, 07:01 PM
Derrick White will become an all-star, as soon as they allow him.

sananspursfan21
04-22-2019, 07:33 PM
He looks just like Kyle Anderson. Lanky, mixed with a fair amount of “white” features. Pair that with Pop’s habit of drafting and investing in the less athletic and I see the misperception. I get where the assumption comes from. But yeah, this isn’t correct. A better way of describing DWhite is saying he’s sneakily athletic. He’s also smart and calculated. He doesn’t only rely on his speed or jumping.

MultiTroll
04-22-2019, 07:41 PM
It's funny how writers who don't follow the Spurs closely just glom on to some cliche, like "they're not athletic, but they play smart" and run with it. One of the first impressive things Derrick White did after college was dominate at the NBA draft combine. Here's a quote about his performance:

"Colorado Guard Derrick White posted the second best three-quarter sprint time at 3.08 (97th percentile historically) and tied for the third best standing vertical leap at 35.5 (99th percentile historically).
An industry where Steven A Smith is one of if not the highest paid.
It's as if being a dumbfuck is a requirement for 90% of the sports media positions.

Thanks for the stats. I did not know White was that high up in relation to his peers on pure athletic measurable stats.

spurs1990
04-22-2019, 09:29 PM
The usual backhanded compliment bullshit. I guess Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and scumbag, all lacked overwhelming skill.

Is it weird that I instantly know who you're referring to when I read 'scumbag'. It's not my go-to word for him but it's appropriate.

Harry Callahan
04-22-2019, 09:30 PM
There was a moron on NBA TV who labeled D White a BENCH player after he started almost the entire year when he wasn't hurt. I think it was channing frye maybe after game #3.