PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 Adjustments

TDomination
04-22-2019, 04:16 PM
My 'waste of time none of this really makes any difference' adjustments:

1) Do not play a single minute without either DDR or White on the floor.
Someone is going to have to play over 38 minutes. Its the playoffs, deal with it. (If foul trouble happens, then at least LMA has to be on the floor if not White or DDR)

2) Shorten the rotation
STARTERS: White/Forbes/DDR/LMA/Poeltl
BENCH: Gay/Bertans/Marco (no more Mills). I would be okay with playing Lonnie Walker over Mills. or even Cunningham over Marco.

3) Stop the bleeding sooner please.
If a lineup isn't working and is giving the nuggets momentum, Pop needs to stop it in its tracks and readjust immediately before its too late. We've seen it happen twice already and its so aggravating because those players continue to see minutes at the same time. The same exact lineups that give up leads continues to hit the floor. So dumb! I just can't understand how Pop can be so wonderful in some aspects and then be so awful in other parts. I guess no one is perfect?

4) Don't be scared to shoot more 3's.
The most the Spurs have shot in a game all series is 18 attempts. The least the Nuggets have shot in a game all series is 24 attempts. I'm not saying we need go ballistic from 3's. But if in the game, Forbes or Bertans start feeling it from outside, they need to ride with it. Forbes has been great for the most part and would not mind seeing him get a lot more attempts. But unforced shorts, like off the pass type shots. Not the bring it up the court, dribble a few times and then shoot types shots. Those are not allowed.

Blackhaus
04-22-2019, 04:52 PM
2 out of the big three (DeRozan, LMA and White) should always be on the court. It’s not that hard to stagger their minutes and this playing 32min or less is rediculous, this is the playoffs. Fuckin Portland’s backcourt played 41 and 42 min, no reason why ours can’t play in the high 30’s

spurraider21
04-22-2019, 04:59 PM
the most minutes white has played in these 4 games has been 33. thats inexcusable, and leads to unnecessary minutes for mills. pop needs to be quicker to pull marco.

bertans has to be more aggressive with his shot instead of always looking to drive. your value comes from your shooting and hustle on D.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Marco is worse than mills of that's possible

04-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Marco is the best representation of watching a sloth play basketball, and should not see another minute on the court.

tholdren
04-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Bench marco and gay and give their minutes to danatas. Pretty simple actually

Russ
04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Denver's adjustment was replacing Beasley with Craig (18 points, 5-7 from three) in Game 4.

Any adjustment from Pop to that adjustment?

emanueldavidginobili
04-22-2019, 05:17 PM
I rather have Patty out there than Marco. Patty at least looks like he’s trying and giving an effort out there. Both still suck at defense

Dennis the Menace
04-22-2019, 05:18 PM
I only see #4 happening, in all likelihood because the team is down by a lot of points and needs to mount a comeback. #1-#3 won’t happen until an elimation game because Pop is too arrogant

Slippy
04-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Ya don't let Torri Craig go off. Some were facials but show the man some respect, get a hand in his face and force the the pass out or drive.

DPG21920
04-22-2019, 07:41 PM
My move would be to obviously play DeRozan/White more minutes; at a minimum DeRozan (assuming no foul trouble) plays 38-40. I do think keeping one of them on the floor (White/DeRozan) is the best idea, but it worked ok last game as timvp said so Pop might do that again. Just have a quick hook and get one of White/DeRozan in quick if it starts going south.

The bigger adjustment to me? Bench Beli and give Bertans his minutes at that position. Bertans is a better shooter and while Bertans struggles to guard Millsap, he is a much better defender than Beli and I think he would have moresuccess than Beli would guarding a smaller player.

So see if that gets the better shooter open more and see if it helps the defense too.

Also, get LMA in more pick and roll situations. He seems to be popping more after screening and if he can get Jokic on the perimeter and get going to the basket more, I don’t think Jokic can keep up.

MultiTroll
04-22-2019, 07:44 PM
:pop::drunk

If above would only cooperate.

kaji157
04-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Win

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2019, 10:52 PM
whatever you clowns recommend.

pop will do the opposite, its either win his way or the highway...

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-22-2019, 11:16 PM

Unfortunately exactly this

vavvi
04-23-2019, 03:33 AM
What if White and DeRozan have an awful game? We still need to play them 40+ minutes?

RC_Drunkford
04-23-2019, 03:47 AM
OP is on point. Unfortunately Pop will do what he's been doing this series

cutewizard
04-23-2019, 05:43 AM
:madrun

Raven
04-23-2019, 06:18 AM
stop playing belinelli. funny how it's the same adjustment that needs to happen every year, except when he was gone.

SASdynasty!
04-23-2019, 06:46 AM
We need White to take a cue from an alpha like Tony and tell Pop he’s staying in the game so we can win another championship.

ZeusWillJudge
04-23-2019, 06:59 AM

2) Shorten the rotation

Saw the title and braced for some ridiculous suggestions. But the OP made some pretty solid suggestions. I hope Pop is getting advice that good from his assistants.

The problem is, a lot of the best advice is along the lines of "Don't Suck". It's the playoffs, and the whole season is one game long now. Play like it. The whole game could hinge on a few blown possessions.

Box out, dammit. Limit Denver's second chance points. Especially on the defensive end. When the Nuggets put a shot in the air, get a body on somebody - especially Jokic and Plumlee. You don't always have to get the rebound - if you box out, your teammates can get a few. Don't suck.

Beasley and Craig are a combined 18-29 from the 3P line. That's a 62.9% percentage, and every make counts for 3 points. That's more points per attempt than any other weapon the Nuggets put on the floor. Maybe consider... I don't know... running them off the 3P line occasionally? Don't suck.

Mason Plumlee is a foul machine. Be aggressive about going after him from the moment he steps on the floor, and force him to foul so that Malone has to play Jokic more minutes than he wants. Tire his fat ass out for the fourth quarter. Don't suck.

Jokic is leading the team in assists, but on a per-minute basis Monte Morris is right there with him. Force Morris to be a shooter more often by playing better off the ball defense. Don't suck.

Treat every inbound play like it's the last 20 seconds and you're down by 1 point. Don't inbound into the damn coffin corner. Don't throw the ball in after a Denver score until you've accounted for all five Nugget players. Don't make those soft throw-in passes, like it's a free play. Don't suck.

ZeusWillJudge
04-23-2019, 07:02 AM
What if White and DeRozan have an awful game? We still need to play them 40+ minutes?

Yes. You go with your best players, and hope they don't suck.

vavvi
04-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Yes. You go with your best players, and hope they don't suck.

Whole regular season our best players were outplayed by other teams best players but we still won games with our depth.
We can’t win with our bench struggling like that. We need to get it going. We are in the playoffs largely because of our 3pt lineup of Mills-Belli-Bertans-Poeltl + one of DDR/Gay/White.
We can’t completely throw that away and expect the notorious playoffs choker DDR and effectively rookie Derrick White win us games with their 2pt magic playing 40+ minutes.
In 2019 to compete a team needs 3pters. We have them on our bench.

GreekSpursfan
04-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Game 5 adjustments: Bring back the game 5 god Manu Ginobili just for this game. Only adjustment that might actually work tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
04-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Whole regular season our best players were outplayed by other teams best players but we still won games with our depth.
We can’t win with our bench struggling like that. We need to get it going. We are in the playoffs largely because of our 3pt lineup of Mills-Belli-Bertans-Poeltl + one of DDR/Gay/White.
We can’t completely throw that away and expect the notorious playoffs choker DDR and effectively rookie Derrick White win is games with their 2pt magic playing 40+ minutes.

I defended Gay, based on how he played this season. But he has been terrible in the playoffs. Beyond terrible.
Bertans couldn't hit water if he fell out of a fucking boat. You can't bank on this being the game his slump ends.
Maybe Belli is still injured, I don't know, but he's been unbelievably bad.
I know who I'd like those three guys to be, but that's not who they've been in the playoffs.

Poeltl has his hands full defending Jokic. He's doing a very good job, but he'll get in foul trouble if he plays much more.

That doesn't leave a whole lot of options, other than taking a shot with LWIV and/or D-Mo. Pop isn't likely to do that in Game 5 of a playoff series. So it's pretty much got to be White and DDR playing long minutes. And maybe not keeping that Aldridge guy on the bench quite as long. If fat-ass Jokic can play 39 minutes, surely Aldridge can play more than 29?

ZeusWillJudge
04-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Game 5 adjustments: Bring back the game 5 god Manu Ginobili just for this game. Only adjustment that might actually work tbh.

LOL. Last game they showed Tim and Manu in the stands. Sean kind of joked that both of them look like they could still play. I laughed for a second. Then I looked at how badly the Spurs were playing and I had to wonder if those two could actually be an upgrade. I know that last year's Manu would probably be enough to have turned this 2-2 series into a sweep.

monty4329
04-23-2019, 08:30 AM

How many consecutive playoffs appearances for the team you coach? More than 20?

monty4329
04-23-2019, 08:31 AM
We need White to take a cue from an alpha like Tony and tell Pop he’s staying in the game so we can win another championship.

He still has plantar fasciatis, BTW...

vavvi
04-23-2019, 08:35 AM
I defended Gay, based on how he played this season. But he has been terrible in the playoffs. Beyond terrible.
Bertans couldn't hit water if he fell out of a fucking boat. You can't bank on this being the game his slump ends.
Maybe Belli is still injured, I don't know, but he's been unbelievably bad.
I know who I'd like those three guys to be, but that's not who they've been in the playoffs.

Poeltl has his hands full defending Jokic. He's doing a very good job, but he'll get in foul trouble if he plays much more.

That doesn't leave a whole lot of options, other than taking a shot with LWIV and/or D-Mo. Pop isn't likely to do that in Game 5 of a playoff series. So it's pretty much got to be White and DDR playing long minutes. And maybe not keeping that Aldridge guy on the bench quite as long. If fat-ass Jokic can play 39 minutes, surely Aldridge can play more than 29?

I understand your logic but not necessarily agree with it.
Yes, Mills, Belli, Gay, Bertans were awful so far. So the choice is: minimize their minutes (your suggestion) or let them play out of the slump. And I tend to think we need them to win.
DDR and White are what we expected – up and down. It’s not reasonable to expect from them more than what they are giving. That’s who they are right now.
LA is a little disappointing to me because I expected him to play like an All-NBA talent and he’s been just a solid starter.

monty4329
04-23-2019, 08:37 AM
We can’t completely throw that away and expect the notorious playoffs choker DDR and effectively rookie Derrick White win us games with their 2pt magic playing 40+ minutes.

Precisely. More DDR+White+LMA don't mean a better outcome. Probably the opposite.

The adjustments we need are schemes that can put the bench in position to shoot relatively open 3s. Which is not happening because Denver defense is very good and obviously better prepared than SA offense. I fully expect the coaching staff to come up with a good offensive plan.

Our defense is not good, but we lose games on offense. You can't make 103 points and think you can win. We need to score more, not to limit Denver score to - what? 95?

UncleDennis
04-23-2019, 08:42 AM
LOL. Last game they showed Tim and Manu in the stands. Sean kind of joked that both of them look like they could still play. I laughed for a second. Then I looked at how badly the Spurs were playing and I had to wonder if those two could actually be an upgrade. I know that last year's Manu would probably be enough to have turned this 2-2 series into a sweep.

Jokic is probably the one good big in today's game that is so un-athletic and relies so much on his smarts that even old TD could still do a decent job on, probably have him shooting more threes which might not be the best thing since he seems to be hitting em though.

I agree about Manu this would have been a nice series for him, you know he would be giving us more then Rudy, Mills and Beli.

maximo
04-23-2019, 08:46 AM

And thas's exactly why he won 5 rings….

vavvi
04-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Precisely. More DDR+White+LMA don't mean a better outcome. Probably the opposite.

The adjustments we need are schemes that can put the bench in position to shoot relatively open 3s. Which is not happening because Denver defense is very good and obviously better prepared than SA offense. I fully expect the coaching staff to come up with a good offensive plan.

Our defense is not good, but we lose games on offense. You can't make 103 points and think you can win. We need to score more, not to limit Denver score to - what? 95?

True, we need an offensive plan.
also feel like DDR doesn’t pass as well in the postseason. Passing was by far his most important contribution this season but against Denver he doesn’t do much penetrating to pass to an open shooter

BackHome
04-23-2019, 09:07 AM
The only two players we have that can keep there dribble alive while going in and out of paint is Mills and White. Mills is able to do it more with speed White is skill the dude is just silky smooth no rush no fuss dribbles into teeth of defense and comes out the other end no problemo.

I don’t know what is wrong with Rudy either he is hurt or the pressure of this being his contract year is getting to him as the more he plays terrible the lower his paycheck is going to be.

Rummpd
04-23-2019, 09:09 AM

Someone is going to have to play over 38 minutes. Its the playoffs, deal with it. (If foul trouble happens, then at least LMA has to be on the floor if not White or DDR)

2) Shorten the rotation
STARTERS: White/Forbes/DDR/LMA/Poeltl
BENCH: Gay/Bertans/Marco (no more Mills). I would be okay with playing Lonnie Walker over Mills. or even Cunningham over Marco.

If a lineup isn't working and is giving the nuggets momentum, Pop needs to stop it in its tracks and readjust immediately before its too late. We've seen it happen twice already and its so aggravating because those players continue to see minutes at the same time. The same exact lineups that give up leads continues to hit the floor. So dumb! I just can't understand how Pop can be so wonderful in some aspects and then be so awful in other parts. I guess no one is perfect?

The most the Spurs have shot in a game all series is 18 attempts. The least the Nuggets have shot in a game all series is 24 attempts. I'm not saying we need go ballistic from 3's. But if in the game, Forbes or Bertans start feeling it from outside, they need to ride with it. Forbes has been great for the most part and would not mind seeing him get a lot more attempts. But unforced shorts, like off the pass type shots. Not the bring it up the court, dribble a few times and then shoot types shots. Those are not allowed.

None of this is happening. Spurs have to hit shots and hope Nuggets start bricking again. Expect Mills major minutes per usual. Walker not a chance.....

GreekSpursfan
04-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Not sweep but we'd go through at the end.

exstatic
04-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Denver's adjustment was replacing Beasley with Craig (18 points, 5-7 from three) in Game 4.

Any adjustment from Pop to that adjustment?

Run DDR/White pick and rolls, and force the switch to get Craig off of White.

weebo
04-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Bertans, Mills, Marco, and Gay need to play better...they don't have to be great just play better

Big Empty
04-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Walker needs more minutes over Marco this series, atleast this game.

MultiTroll
04-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Do Wombats have a certain meal or special way they like to be petted pre game?
:pop:

TheRemix
04-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Everything OP stated is correct. Gay needs to wake up and we need to run better sets for our shooters to shoot. Gotta be more aggressive overall in game 5

ZeusWillJudge
04-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Not sweep but we'd go through at the end.

Ahh, you're right. Game 2 wasn't that close. But it would be 3-1 for sure. And Game 2 wouldn't have gotten so far out of hand.

vander
04-23-2019, 07:05 PM
it's time for Davis Bonner to shine. need to run some plays for him and tell him he has to make at least 5 3's today

DAF86
04-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Patty Mills for Derrick White to start the second half. That was Pop's adjustment for game 5.

Truth4sale$
04-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Does not work in basketball. Down 20 in 3rd. Still winnable but DO SOMETHING! TRY SOMEBODY ELSE!! Insert some hustle and energy...Cunningham!!