PDA

View Full Version : Does San Antonio have good pizza?

InRareForm
04-25-2019, 11:47 AM
n6jRePUigZc

WYZAJPr_enE

5elIifXJNhE

Jullians got the best score of the

Kobe'sAchilles
04-25-2019, 12:44 PM
No

Chucho
04-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Pizza is one of those foods you don't realize how diverse it can be because it's so tied to cheap fast food stereotypes.

But I really can't remember any "good" pizza joints in San Antonio tho.

Millennial_Messiah
04-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Yes. Papa John's (what I grew up on)

FkLA
04-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Gino's East used to be legit but they closed it down. Every time we went we were the only people there. We showed up one day and it was boarded up. I miss it. Fat Antonians didn't know what they had, tbh.

SpursforSix
04-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Willie Phister Chicken

leemajors
04-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Gino's East used to be legit but they closed it down. Every time we went we were the only people there. We showed up one day and it was boarded up. I miss it. Fat Antonians didn't know what they had, tbh.

They expanded a lot of places and shut down a lot, too. There was one here in Austin, but it was on dirty sixth, a horrible location. They have disappeared from HEB, too.

On a side note, Papa Johns is fucking horrible.

Millennial_Messiah
04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
On a side note, Pizza Hut is fucking horrible.

FIFY.

InRareForm
04-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Of the chain restaraunts I think dominoes is better than Pizza hut and Papa John's. Pizza hut their dough feels like it was dipped in a grease batter and papa John's is just mediocre. I would rather get a $5 little caesars than a $10 Papa John or $10 pizza hut if I had to choose of those.

This post was about mom and Pop or small pizza spots that are unique to the city tbh...

SpursforSix
04-25-2019, 05:30 PM
Of the chain restaraunts I think dominoes is better than Pizza hut and Papa John's. Pizza hut their dough feels like it was dipped in a grease batter and papa John's is just mediocre. I would rather get a $5 little caesars than a $10 Papa John or $10 pizza hut if I had to choose of those.

This post was about mom and Pop or small pizza spots that are unique to the city tbh...

Every food thread devolves into Dominos vs Papa Johns or Whataburger vs In Out.

But back on topic, if I want to go upscale for pizza, I’ll look for a Pie Five.

FkLA
04-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Pizza Hut's dough isn't even made. It comes frozen in packaged boxes, they just let it sit out to thaw for a few hours before adding the toppings and throwing it in the oven. I want to say Papa John's does the same thing. Little Caesar's dough is made in store. I worked at all three when I was younger. I've always preferred LC over the others, tbh.

They expanded a lot of places and shut down a lot, too. There was one here in Austin, but it was on dirty sixth, a horrible location. They have disappeared from HEB, too.

The one in Dallas is still open. GF's parents live there and they go pretty often (her mom is from Chicago which is how I found out about it). She brought back some last time she visited them. Still delicious af. :tu

Joseph Kony
04-25-2019, 05:57 PM

:lol i bet you think Burger King is a great burger joint too

Blake
04-25-2019, 06:08 PM
I like Big Lou's.

I also like Ray's.

SpursforSix
04-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Idk. For $6 bucks, I’m pretty happy with Dominos or Hut. I’ll usually put Franks on it or dip it in something.

Blake
04-25-2019, 07:55 PM
The franchises depend on location. I know a couple of shitty Huts/dominoes and some good ones.

BD24
04-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Rays and Ms Ellie’s are good New York style places. Big Lous is overrated, not to mention the fact you have to go to the fucking ghetto to eat there.

BD24
04-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Oh also the pizza at the south Flores HEB is fucking delicious. Friday’s for happy hour they have a deal that is a large pizza and 2 beers for $10. That’s tough to beat

Trill Clinton
04-25-2019, 08:41 PM
maars pizza

Chucho
04-25-2019, 09:38 PM

Dominoes makes two cheap pizza types well; thin crust and their pan pizza is bomb. $7.99 with 3 toppings is probably the best chain pizza deal.

DJR210
04-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Rays and Ms Ellie’s are good New York style places. Big Lous is overrated, not to mention the fact you have to go to the fucking ghetto to eat there.

Veryyyy overrated.. Gotta go to the shithole SE side, AND wait in some obnoxious fucking line unless it's a table for two.. nobody goes to fucking Big Lou's to eat a pizza for two. I keep seeing a place called Dough mentioned as a top pizza place here..

DJR210
04-26-2019, 02:20 AM
Oh also the pizza at the south Flores HEB is fucking delicious. Friday’s for happy hour they have a deal that is a large pizza and 2 beers for $10. That’s tough to beat

Yep.. and you can walk around with those two beers whole you shop and take the pizza home for dinner.. I go to the massive HEB at 1604 and Bandera though

Anybody fuck w/ Mellow Mushroom? I heard they have a good craft beer selection too..

SpursforSix
04-26-2019, 02:25 AM
Yep.. and you can walk around with those two beers whole you shop and take the pizza home for dinner.. I go to the massive HEB at 1604 and Bandera though

Anybody fuck w/ Mellow Mushroom? I heard they have a good craft beer selection too..

Yeah...MM. iirc, the original one is up here. Ft Worth. Decent pizza. Nothing special. But great beer menu. Usually have the latest and greatest.

BD24
04-26-2019, 07:19 AM

Mellow Mushroom is decent.

you mentioned dough as well, it’s downtown, hemisfair park area. The pizza is good, but a bit to pricey for pizza imo

benefactor
04-26-2019, 08:10 AM
You guys have a Rotolos in SA? We have one here and it's really good. Toppings are fresh and the crust is legit...good rotating drafts too. The only drawback is the bar is fucking small at the one here. All those good craft drafts and like 12-15 seats.:lol

Pavlov
04-26-2019, 09:11 AM
I think you guys have a Yaghi's down there. Really good New York style pizza and a nice daily lunch special.

For big cheap chains the Dominos carryout special is hard to beat.

ColinB
04-26-2019, 09:51 AM
maars pizza

For sure.

Agree on South Flo Pizza too. The 2 beers and a pizza for 10 bucks is a steal.

mrsmaalox
04-26-2019, 10:04 AM
For New York style pizza I like Florio’s off of Broadway. South San Antonio has a really good place called Il Forno—they make their mozzarella in house and grow most of their own herbs and veggies on site. I think they also make their own sausage. Their crust is the kind with big bubbles, which I love :)

But my go to neighborhood pizza is Trilogy in Stone Oak. Its great pizza (with bubbly crust) and sentimental for me as almost every kid in our neighborhood had their first job there. At one time my daughter and her best friend and their boyfriends all worked there as well as my son and his 2best friends! The owner is all about family and neighbors, its a great atmosphere.

My pet peeve is under cooked pizza and I always stress “well done”. I like veggie pizza and I hate getting getting cold raw veggies but it’s pretty much the norm at every place unless I specify how I want it. If I recall correctly, Il Forno roasts the veggies before adding them on the pizza :tu

InRareForm
04-26-2019, 10:18 AM
My pet peeve is under cooked pizza and I always stress “well done”. I like veggie pizza and I hate getting getting cold raw veggies but it’s pretty much the norm at every place unless I specify how I want it. If I recall correctly, Il Forno roasts the veggies before adding them on the pizza :tu

100% agree. undercooked pizza is frustrating. I always tell them to cook it well done as well at almost any pizza place..... everything gets better; the crust get a better crunch, pizza stays together, toppings are properly cooked.

Chucho
04-26-2019, 10:48 AM
I've never come across undercooked pizza. That's like fucking up a hotdog or a bean and cheese taco.

Mitch
04-26-2019, 11:31 AM
Considering that it's one of the most obese cities in the #1 or #2 most obese country in the world, you'd expect them to have good food tbh :lol

lebomb
04-26-2019, 11:56 AM
I think you guys have a Yaghi's down there. Really good New York style pizza and a nice daily lunch special.

Yep.....there is a Yaghis on Babcock. Excellent New York Style Pizza..........cooked 75%, set out for you to choose what slice. Slapped back in the oven till its cooked 100%. Absolutely freakin delicious. :eyebrows

benefactor
04-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Yep. That's been my go to many nights. Eat half that evening and take the rest for lunch the next day.

SpursforSix
04-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Considering that it's one of the most obese cities in the #1 or #2 most obese country in the world, you'd expect them to have good food tbh :lol

You should go buttfuck Avante some more.

DJR210
04-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Pizza Hut is notorious for that borderline raw crust.. even on their regular crust if you look at the side view of the slice it has a clear dividing line between the cooked and the still somewhat doughy part.. makes no sense considering they run a timed conveyor belt oven setup

DJR210
04-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Inb4 "how stupid is this guy? blah blah blah"

DJR210
04-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Yep.....there is a Yaghis on Babcock. Excellent New York Style Pizza..........cooked 75%, set out for you to choose what slice. Slapped back in the oven till its cooked 100%. Absolutely freakin delicious. :eyebrows

Next to the HEB right? I want a place where you can order one big ass slice and be good.. I don't know if any of you SA OG's remember Westlakes Mall, but they had this little NY pizza joint next to the Target and man they had some dope pizza

R.I.P Westlakes too btw, it still hurts.. Ingram Mall will be resting in peace soon too at this rate :cry

Pavlov
04-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Next to the HEB right? I want a place where you can order one big ass slice and be good.From 10-2 you get two pretty big slices and a can of soda for $5. It's fairly out of my way up here so I don't go as often as I'd want.

SpursforSix
04-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Why is pizza so deceptive? When I have a sandwich, it's not like I want to eat 5 more of them.
But I'll be damned if I don't eat a whole pizza when I order one.

Nivek_ogre
04-26-2019, 02:27 PM

God damn you are a dumb fuck

Millennial_Messiah
04-26-2019, 03:03 PM
God damn you are a dumb fuck

I'm a dumb fuck for not wanting to pay $14 for a slice of pizza? lmao.

04-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Inb4 "how stupid is this guy? blah blah blah"
Yeah, most likely another thread ruined tbh :lol

Mitch
04-26-2019, 04:01 PM

weird fetish you got there, s46 :lol

elbamba
04-27-2019, 01:11 AM
Mario's of NYC and Stouts are good.

DPG21920
04-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Barbaro is pretty good.

DarrinS
04-29-2019, 10:27 PM
Luciano's, Florio's, are my go to's

TimDunkem
04-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Florio's, Grimaldi's, Yaghi's.

manufan10
05-02-2019, 09:58 AM
I like Russo's and Urban Brick. I don't know if there are any in San Antonio, but they beat the cheap delivery pizza places.

MultiTroll
05-02-2019, 10:45 AM
https://i0.wp.com/www.clubtraderjoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/traderjoes.png?resize=300,296&ssl=1
I suggest you try this. Found at Trader Joes.
Not sure where else.

MultiTroll
05-02-2019, 10:46 AM
https://www.becomebetty.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/wp-1477343365179.jpg

Blake
05-02-2019, 11:16 AM
I like Russo's and Urban Brick. I don't know if there are any in San Antonio, but they beat the cheap delivery pizza places.

Urban Brick opened and closed in the span of about a year at North Star Mall.

lebomb
05-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Next to the HEB right? I want a place where you can order one big ass slice and be good.. I don't know if any of you SA OG's remember Westlakes Mall, but they had this little NY pizza joint next to the Target and man they had some dope pizza

R.I.P Westlakes too btw, it still hurts.. Ingram Mall will be resting in peace soon too at this rate :cry

Yezzir!!! Great pizza.

All indoor malls seem doomed, unless they make a comeback at some point like Chuck Taylors. :wakeup

DesignatedT
05-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Sorrentos