PDA

View Full Version : Game 6 Adjustment Scenarios: Spurs vs. Nuggets

timvp
04-25-2019, 02:55 PM
1. To The Mean
After being the better team through the first three games and the first quarter of Game 4, the Nuggets have turned it around and have dominated for much of the last seven quarters. The coaching staff could opt to believe that the first 13 quarters were closer to reality than the previous seven quarters and keep the gameplan the same. Bolstering their beliefs: the Spurs are due to shoot better, the Nuggets are due to shoot worse, the Spurs have been elite at home this year and the Nuggets have been mediocre on the road. Add it all together and Pop could decide that status quo is the best path forward.

2. Explosion Needed
Even though Jakob Poeltl has arguably been the most consistently impressive player on the Spurs this series, Pop may believe that he needs to change the starting lineup to make the offense more explosive and go with Rudy Gay in the starting five in place of Poeltl. If Denver has six or seven guys playing at a high level (like they have the last seven periods), it's possible that the current starting lineup for the Spurs just doesn't have the firepower to score the needed 120-plus points against these surging Nuggets. Forcing LaMarcus Aldridge to defend Nikola Jokic could also be a way to get his competitive juices flowing early.

3. Starting Desperation
To hide the pathetic bench play the Spurs have received this series, I thought the Game 4 adjustment would be to play the starters bigger minutes. Something along the lines of Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan 40 minutes, Poeltl and Bryn Forbes 36 minutes and Derrick White 32-34 minutes. That didn't happen in Game 5 but it's a valid option heading into Game 6. Those five players have been the five players performing at the highest level thus far for the good guys. Will Pop lean on his horses?

4. Believe The Numbers
If you are a believe in advanced stats, you wouldn't agree with playing the starters more minutes -- particularly DeRozan, Aldridge and Forbes. Why? There's no proof that those guys have actually helped the Spurs win games this season. During the regular season, the Spurs were better with those three on the bench. The postseason has painted a similar picture. For example, the Spurs have outscored the Nuggets by 9.2 points per possession when DeRozan has been on the bench. When he's been on the court, the Spurs have been outscored by a staggering 11.2 points per possession -- for a 20.4-point swing. Taking this season as a whole, the Spurs have been best when their bench has been on the court. In fact, the Spurs have outscored opponents most when Davis Bertans has been on the court in both the regular season (7.6 points per 100 possessions) and the playoffs (4.0 points). So, does Pop give even more minutes to his bench in this home game due to the fact that the advanced stats say they are the true difference makers?

MoSpur02
04-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Hit 3s!!!!

Robz4000
04-25-2019, 03:04 PM
1, 2, 3, Cancun !!!

BackHome
04-25-2019, 03:18 PM
All I want is to see our guys play with Heart the whole game I want to see bodies on the floor “I WANT SOME NASTY”. Lol

MoSpur02
04-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

I think the Spurs need to hit their threes more than anything else besides chasing the Nuggets off the three point line. Their leaders need to step up and guys like Marco, Bertans, Gay, and Mills need to really step up.

ZeusWillJudge
04-25-2019, 04:06 PM
4. Believe The Numbers
If you are a believe in advanced stats, you wouldn't agree with playing the starters more minutes -- particularly DeRozan, Aldridge and Forbes. Why? There's no proof that those guys have actually helped the Spurs win games this season. During the regular season, the Spurs were better with those three on the bench. The postseason has painted a similar picture. For example, the Spurs have outscored the Nuggets by 9.2 points per possession when DeRozan has been on the bench. When he's been on the court, the Spurs have been outscored by a staggering 11.2 points per possession -- for a 20.4-point swing. Taking this season as a whole, the Spurs have been best when their bench has been on the court. In fact, the Spurs have outscored opponents most when Davis Bertans has been on the court in both the regular season (7.6 points per 100 possessions) and the playoffs (4.0 points). So, does Pop give even more minutes to his bench in this home game due to the fact that the advanced stats say they are the true difference makers?

There's a lot to be said about who is on the floor together at any given time. But the quickest thing is to say that the Rudy Gay we've seen lately isn't as good as the one from the regular season. The Marco Belinelli we see now isn't as good as the one from the regular season. Davis Bertans - ditto. The numbers that speak to me are from the playoffs. Gay is shooting .310 in the playoffs. Bertans is shooting .333. And Beli is shooting .375 . Those numbers will lose Game 6.

Defensively? I don't know what any numbers might say, but my eyes tell me that those three guys haven't been able to defend worth a damn.

If the starters can't get it done, it's time to move on to draft discussions.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-25-2019, 04:06 PM
I like the idea of getting Rudy into the starting lineup just because he, LMA and DDR are all in need of something to jumpstart them. Poetl might make the bench a little more stout defensively.

It's sad to see the team roll over and die, and our 3 veterans who should be setting the tone have sucked at it. Sadly, their tone has been a lethargic one.

spurraider21
04-25-2019, 04:18 PM
1. To The Mean
After being the better team through the first three games and the first quarter of Game 4, the Nuggets have turned it around and have dominated for much of the last seven quarters. The coaching staff could opt to believe that the first 13 quarters were closer to reality than the previous seven quarters and keep the gameplan the same. Bolstering their beliefs: the Spurs are due to shoot better, the Nuggets are due to shoot worse, the Spurs have been elite at home this year and the Nuggets have been mediocre on the road. Add it all together and Pop could decide that status quo is the best path forward.

2. Explosion Needed
Even though Jakob Poeltl has arguably been the most consistently impressive player on the Spurs this series, Pop may believe that he needs to change the starting lineup to make the offense more explosive and go with Rudy Gay in the starting five in place of Poeltl. If Denver has six or seven guys playing at a high level (like they have the last seven periods), it's possible that the current starting lineup for the Spurs just doesn't have the firepower to score the needed 120-plus points against these surging Nuggets. Forcing LaMarcus Aldridge to defend Nikola Jokic could also be a way to get his competitive juices flowing early.

3. Starting Desperation
To hide the pathetic bench play the Spurs have received this series, I thought the Game 4 adjustment would be to play the starters bigger minutes. Something along the lines of Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan 40 minutes, Poeltl and Bryn Forbes 36 minutes and Derrick White 32-34 minutes. That didn't happen in Game 4 but it's a valid option heading into Game 5. Those five players have been the five players performing at the highest level thus far for the good guys. Will Pop lean on his horses?

4. Believe The Numbers
what about game 6 tonight?

tholdren
04-25-2019, 04:40 PM
As stated before: give rudy minutes to danatas. Everyone can see spurs need an inside presence and both our fundamental bigs attack the paint for points and rebounds.

Get rid of marco. Give his minutes to anyone but gay.

Problem solved

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Bench Pop, let Elliot take over

RC_Drunkford
04-25-2019, 05:14 PM
you don't really think Pop will adjust do you? Maybe in the 4th quarter when the game is out of reach

Arcadian
04-25-2019, 05:16 PM
:lol Adjustments? The Spurs don't make adjustments.

timvp
04-25-2019, 05:23 PM
what about game 6 tonight?

Thanks. Though, it'd be nice to replay Game 5, tbh.

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-25-2019, 05:30 PM

ducks
04-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Tell spurs players becky will give oral to team if they win next two

Kobe'sAchilles
04-25-2019, 05:35 PM
No adjustments are needed. Pop doesn't believe that any need to be made so all this talk is pointless. He will continue to play Mills/Marco together. He's going to continue to playWhite 33 minutes. Hes not going to play Lonnie. He's going to continue letting DeRozan and LMA shoot tough fade away jumpers. And he's going to continue to watch us lose.

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 06:03 PM
timvp - no thoughts on adapting to how Denver is blitzing the PnR?? It stands out to me so bad. They are trapping and blitzing nearly every one. Turning White and DeRozan backwards and SA has not adjusted well.

wildbill2u
04-25-2019, 06:17 PM
biggest disappointments this series have been Gay and Mills. Bellinielli is what he is. Finding more time for Gay seems counterproductive.At least Mills plays hard and brings energy. Gay just seems uninterested

Spurch
04-25-2019, 06:28 PM
1. To The Mean

2. Explosion Needed

3. Starting Desperation
To hide the pathetic bench play the Spurs have received this series, I thought the Game 4 adjustment would be to play the starters bigger minutes. Something along the lines of Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan 40 minutes, Poeltl and Bryn Forbes 36 minutes and Derrick White 32-34 minutes. That didn't happen in Game 5 but it's a valid option heading into Game 6. Those five players have been the five players performing at the highest level thus far for the good guys. Will Pop lean on his horses?

4. Believe The Numbers

I very much like Rudy in the starting lineup just like u said with lma on yokic it will or should boost Rudy he's a key piece he needs to get going

Spurch
04-25-2019, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

I think the Spurs need to hit their threes more than anything else besides chasing the Nuggets off the three point line. Their leaders need to step up and guys like Marco, Bertans, Gay, and Mills need to really step up.

I agree with getting our 3pt shooters going but don't think it's our primary source of points, our mid-range game is the best and we still play that old school ball of going to the big man in the post first that usually works for us along with defending better we need to do these traits more effectively the icing on the cake is our 3pt shooters.

Spurch
04-25-2019, 06:52 PM

We do bro, we ran our entire offense thru white in game 3

Spurch
04-25-2019, 06:55 PM
biggest disappointments this series have been Gay and Mills. Bellinielli is what he is. Finding more time for Gay seems counterproductive.At least Mills plays hard and brings energy. Gay just seems uninterested

Agreed, gay is know where to be found, I wonder how he feels about not helping his team smh

Kurgan
04-25-2019, 07:15 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/2hz2s2g.png

According to the On-Off numbers for this series, our five plus players have been White, Forbes, Bertans, Aldridge, and Poeltl. Maybe trying playing those guys more and give Rudy/Derozan less minutes. Those two have been cancering it up.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Spurs defending the 3 so much better. If they can limit Denver's 2nd chance points and Murray-Jokic PnR in Game 7 it'll give them a great shot.

ZeusWillJudge
04-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Well Rudy finally had a good game. He still missed his share of defensive assignments, but still MUCH better than he has been. Show how much the Spurs needed one more guy to produce.

Poeltl is playing damn strong ball, and White ought to be getting 30 minutes - Mills shoots 25% for the night.

DPG21920
04-25-2019, 11:11 PM
DeRozan and LMA showed up when needed. I was legit concerned with how DeRozan especially would respond and despite some assists in the first half I was worried. But he did his job. And LmA had some man rebounds too.