PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bill Self could be in line to take over for Gregg Popovich

blizz
04-25-2019, 04:13 PM
No one is talking about the Bill Self thing? I’d think some people would be bouncing off the walls here.

illusioNtEk
04-25-2019, 04:14 PM
Bill self ?

Robz4000
04-25-2019, 04:16 PM
What about him?

phxspurfan
04-25-2019, 04:16 PM
https://airalamo.com/2019/04/24/san-antonio-spurs-rumors-bill-self-gregg-popovich/

Not sure how much smoke there really is here, since a. the season isn't over, b. we haven't heard definitively from Pop that he's thinking of retiring now, and c. anything else from RC/Bill Self etc.

Plus dat Becky

illusioNtEk
04-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Bill Self on rumors he’s leaving KU for NBA: ‘I’m not going anywhere’

exstatic
04-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Don't they always say that right up to the press conference?

RC_Drunkford
04-25-2019, 05:07 PM
I actually like that idea. Better than Messina that's for sure

timvp
04-25-2019, 05:35 PM
This rumor has been floating around for more than ten years. I know there is some validity to it but it's not set in stone. If you were to bet on it, Self would be up there with probably Messina and Udoka. Given that competition, I wouldn't mind Self.

I've been on record for about 15 years now that I wanted Budenholzer to eventually replace Pop. That, obviously, appears to be difficult now.

I know this would is an unpopular opinion but I think Avery Johnson would be a strong choice. Give him a long leash and at the very least you'd have a solid tactician who wouldn't put up with his team not playing hard. Plus his work with the Mavs looks strong in retrospect. He led a them to 67 wins and a near championship with minimal talent outside of Dirk. Almost winning a championship with the likes of DeSagana Diop and Adrian Griffin starting and with Jason Terry as your second best player? Damn impressive, IMO.

playblair
04-25-2019, 05:37 PM
This rumor has been floating around for more than ten years. I know there is some validity to it but it's not set in stone. If you were to bet on it, Self would be up there with probably Messina and Udoka. Given that competition, I wouldn't mind Self.

I've been on record for about 15 years now that I wanted Budenholzer to eventually replace Pop. That, obviously, appears to be difficult now.

I know this would is an unpopular opinion but I think Avery Johnson would be a strong choice. Give him a long leash and at the very least you'd have a solid tactician who wouldn't put up with his team not playing hard. Plus his work with the Mavs looks strong in retrospect. He led a them to 67 wins and a near championship with minimal talent outside of Dirk. Almost winning a championship with the likes of DeSagana Diop and Adrian Griffin starting and with Jason Terry as your second best player? Damn impressive, IMO.

ewwwww if messina becomes coach i become a full time austin spurs fan

SpurPadre
04-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Bill can fuck himSelf, tbh. I want Manu to take over from Pop.

Joseph Kony
04-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Becky or Bust imo

ZeusWillJudge
04-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Strong, strong journalism.

"...even though this season was one of his finest coaching jobs during his historic tenure with the San Antonio Spurs."

"Personally, I’m rooting for the Spurs to make Becky Hammon the first female head coach in major American men’s sports."

"Unfortunately Self has never coached at the NBA level, but the fact that he’s already in the Hall of Fame should give him plenty of credibility in the pros."

RD2191
04-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Becky or Bust imo

Tbh

R. DeMurre
04-25-2019, 06:38 PM
:lol speculation< rumor< distinct possibility

R. DeMurre
04-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili could be returning from the past via a Time Machine as 27 year olds, ready to play next season. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it might!

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-25-2019, 06:53 PM

sananspursfan21
04-25-2019, 06:55 PM
Don't they always say that right up to the press conference?

GreekSpursfan
04-25-2019, 07:04 PM

If Pop asks him and Manu says yes, i think its his job, i hope. Otherwise it's Becky and maybe this guy op mentions but he would've done the jump by now.
I don't think Manu wants to coach so that leave us with Becky. I don't like the others.
Best case scenario is Becky with Pop in a Pat Riley role.

timvp
04-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Manu's success was based off of his instincts. Can't teach instincts. He wouldn't want to be a head coach, anyways.

baseline bum
04-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Manu drawing up plays to throw the ball to LeBron would be painful to watch.

Xx_SpursNation_xX
Why Bill Self? We will miss popovich if this is true.

apalisoc_9
Bill self is an above average coach in his vatgeory. In the NBA he will be nothing by food.

Becky ftw.

timvp
04-25-2019, 07:20 PM
If it's Messina or Becky, I'd go Becky all day, tbh.

ducks
04-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Nba players would hate Avery

Becky

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Spurs have been the most progressive franchise in the NBA for the past whatever amount of years, it would only be fitting that they hire the first woman head coach..

ZeusWillJudge
04-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Spurs have been the most progressive franchise in the NBA for the past whatever amount of years, it would only be fitting that they hire the first woman head coach..

If "progressive" or "fitting" are included in the decision, fuck 'em. If she's the best candidate, hire her. But not to make a statement.

WallyTiger
04-25-2019, 07:33 PM
replace Pop? It must be someone from spurstalk right? I mean spurstalk >>>>>>>>> PATFO, the whole world know that, we got plenty of truthers and a few losers can do that.
NBA=fucked.
spurs rings again.
spurstalk rules.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2019, 07:39 PM
If "progressive" or "fitting" are included in the decision, fuck 'em. If she's the best candidate, hire her. But not to make a statement.

Hiring a coach with no NBA coaching experience is a crapshoot, it's all guessing..all things being equal, I'm going with the better PR move..

If Bud wants to go to SA, then certainly that's a no-brainer, but if the alternatives are Ime, Messina and Self, I'm going with Becky..

Spurs fever
04-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Still want Bud.

Hoops Czar
04-25-2019, 07:46 PM

Nick Saban on rumors he's leaving LSU to go to the NFL.. "I'm not going anywhere."

JohnnyMax
04-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Bill Self is Billy Donovan of college basketball - always goes out earlier in the playoffs than expected

Roscoe P. Coltrane
04-25-2019, 08:16 PM
Tbhsissies

Roscoe P. Coltrane
04-25-2019, 08:17 PM
If Pop asks him and Manu says yes, i think its his job, i hope. Otherwise it's Becky and maybe this guy op mentions but he would've done the jump by now.
I don't think Manu wants to coach so that leave us with Becky. I don't like the others.
Best case scenario is Becky with Pop in a Pat Riley role.Becky? Are freaking kidding me.

sasaint
04-25-2019, 08:35 PM

A business acquaintance of mine in Milwaukee assures me that Bud isn't going anywhere. Figures. I wouldn't trade their roster and immediate outlook for ours.

Avery is a non-start. He is so caustic that he gets run off from every one of his gigs after a couple of years. Current NBA players wouldn't tolerate him.

Even if Self is only a speculative choice, I do like the idea of thinking a little out of the box and not just hiring one of Pop's current assistants or an NBA retread.

Hoops Czar
04-25-2019, 08:49 PM
A business acquaintance of mine in Milwaukee assures me that Bud isn't going anywhere. Figures. I wouldn't trade their roster and immediate outlook for ours.

Avery is a non-start. He is so caustic that he gets run off from every one of his gigs after a couple of years. Current NBA players wouldn't tolerate him.

Even if Self is only a speculative choice, I do like the idea of thinking a little out of the box and not just hiring one of Pop's current assistants or an NBA retread.

Bill Self is a retread. He hasn't been relavent in a decade. Winning the big 12 year in and year out is the equivalent of Juve winning the Serie A every year. Anyways, he wouldn't want the Spurs vacancy even if it was offered because it's a very undesirable coaching job with the Spurs on the brink of being a perennial lottery team for years to come. Self would be taking a step backwards.

SequSpur
04-25-2019, 11:15 PM
Bill self dumbfucks...do it... Go Spurs! Rock chalk Go Spurs

Russ
04-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Wow, is Coach Bud so far out of reach?

8FOR!3
04-25-2019, 11:49 PM
I think at this point we trust the brainpower of the organization to make the right move when Pop retires. Honestly I wonder if Udoka is being groomed for the role he's stayed with the team longer than the typical Spurs assistant has. He was an assistant on the 2014 championship team so I'm sure he's had head coaching looks at some point from teams. Played like 4 years off and on for the Spurs and while he was frustrating as a player I think he's done some really good things in his current role. Been apart of the coaching staff for like 7 years, big part of Aldridge choosing SA in free agency.

superbigtime
04-26-2019, 12:04 AM

peacemaker885
04-26-2019, 12:31 AM
ewwwww if messina becomes coach i become a full time austin spurs fan

Aye on Avery.

tbdog
04-26-2019, 12:33 AM
This is Becky's first season on the front row. I cannot imagine she gets a head coaching job the next season. Shes 42 years old. Plenty of time.

OldMan88
04-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Absolutely... otherwise she’ll end up being the first female NBA head coach to be fired.

As for Bill Self... remember Tark the Shark and how that worked out?

rjv
04-26-2019, 01:58 PM
i'd always thought that the next coach would be an ST poster since we have so many great coaches and basketball geniuses in here.

Dex
04-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Same. For all of Messina's "accolades", those all came in Europe where the game is simply played differently.

Otherwise, I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by Messina in the situations where he takes over for Pop, minus the one win against Golden State in last year's playoffs.

We don't have much of a sample size for when Becky takes the reigns, but I'd almost rather venture into the unknown than go with an option we know isn't great.

spurs1990
04-26-2019, 09:09 PM
1) Bud
2) Avery Johnson
3) Quinn Snyder
4) Udoka

Confident the next coach will have former ties to the team especially if RC is making the final call. Self seems too much like a Tarkanian hire. All other long tenure or big name college coaches flamed out - pitino, calipari, Tim Floyd, Donovan.

ivanfromwestwood
04-26-2019, 09:22 PM
In all fairness I felt like Becky would command a lot of respect in that position. The way the summer league team responded to her. It looks like she had not only respect but love from the players. Possibly like a mom figure. You never know she might just be a damn good coach at the NBA level

cutewizard
04-26-2019, 10:06 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/kansas-bill-self-denies-reports-hes-in-line-to-be-next-spurs-head-coach

alpha_HaZE
04-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Seeing that most of you clowns don't like Messina, it reaffirms my belief that he is our best option to replace Pop.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-27-2019, 12:00 AM
In all fairness I felt like Becky would command a lot of respect in that position. The way the summer league team responded to her. It looks like she had not only respect but love from the players. Possibly like a mom figure. You never know she might just be a damn good coach at the NBA level

Cool story bro. We are the Spurs, not the fucking Suns, we dont experiment with unproven coaches like Becky. She can go try her hand somewhere else. No thanks

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2019, 12:06 AM
Cool story bro. We are the Spurs, not the fucking Suns, we dont experiment with unproven coaches like Becky. She can go try her hand somewhere else. No thanks

Why would it upset you so much if the Spurs hired a woman as the Head Coach? It's 2019:lol

monty4329
04-27-2019, 01:09 AM

There is only one reason why Hammond would get hired as a HC. And it has nothing to do with basketball.

EricB
04-27-2019, 02:20 AM

ive been told Becky is 1B Jay Wright is 1A. Jay Wright just happens to be assisting this summer for the US team too.

EricB
04-27-2019, 02:20 AM
There is only one reason why Hammond would get hired as a HC. And it has nothing to do with basketball.

Youd be 100% wrong

Dejounte
04-27-2019, 05:38 AM
People impressed by a summer league win crack me up. Who the hell cares if she won in that league?

monty4329
04-27-2019, 07:23 AM
Youd be 100% wrong

So 0% HC experience plus 1 year as 4th in line, all that make her qualified to be the Head Coach for a perennial playoffs organization. You got it right, sure.
I suppose you hire people every day in your job....

EricB
04-29-2019, 02:45 AM
So 0% HC experience plus 1 year as 4th in line, all that make her qualified to be the Head Coach for a perennial playoffs organization. You got it right, sure.
I suppose you hire people every day in your job....

Shes the number 1 candidate in a lot of places, but sure, take it out on me if it gives ya your jollies.

Kurgan
04-29-2019, 07:55 AM
I hate the idea of a college coach taking the reins but I'm just not convinced by any of Pop's current assistants. They come off as yes men. They're part of the reason why the Spurs have problems keeping up with the rest of the NBA.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-29-2019, 08:17 AM
Shes the number 1 candidate in a lot of places, but sure, take it out on me if it gives ya your jollies.

If she was the number 1 in a lot of places she would be gone dude. She is the #1 token interview in a lot of places.

cutewizard
04-29-2019, 08:32 AM
i'd always thought that the next coach would be an ST poster since we have so many great coaches and basketball geniuses in here.

Hahaha.....right!

ceperez
04-29-2019, 08:47 AM
Becky showed that she was really good at in game calls in summerleague.

I've never been impressed with Messina. He came in after 2014 and hasn't made an impact. I suspect the frustration of many of how conservative the Spurs play is due to Messina.

Udoka I have no data points to know how well he actually coaches.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-29-2019, 08:57 AM

I've never been impressed with Messina. He came in after 2014 and hasn't made an impact. I suspect the frustration of many of how conservative the Spurs play is due to Messina.

The effectiveness of Becky leading a group of men on a night in, night out basis, for many years and commanding their respect is going to be the question. And that is a social experiment that I would rather the Spurs not gamble on, let someone else prove it can work first.

Kurgan
04-29-2019, 09:24 AM
The effectiveness of Becky leading a group of men on a night in, night out basis, for many years and commanding their respect is going to be the question. And that is a social experiment that I would rather the Spurs not gamble on, let someone else prove it can work first.

Yes, this makes Becky a questionable choice. The current crop of players might take instruction from her because of the Spurs culture bullshit. As will the guys drafted and brought up through the Spurs own development process but it's gonna be a stretch to attract free agents that will want to play for her. Even worse, hiring her ensures that "Spurs culture" guys like Patty will stay here long term in order to not lose the locker room.

Personally, I don't think any of the assistants are very good. If they were, Spurs wouldn't be playing such ugly basketball.

venitian navigator
04-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Yes, this makes Becky a questionable choice. The current crop of players might take instruction from her because of the Spurs culture bullshit. As will the guys drafted and brought up through the Spurs own development process but it's gonna be a stretch to attract free agents that will want to play for her. Even worse, hiring her ensures that "Spurs culture" guys like Patty will stay here long term in order to not lose the locker room.

Personally, I don't think any of the assistants are very good. If they were, Spurs wouldn't be playing such ugly basketball.

I respectfully disagree. You play the basketball you can depending on the personnel you have...with DDR, LMA anf Gay being our three main players you can only play the game we played...DJM was the one supposed to change the pace and style of the team, but we all know of the ACL... Franckly I think we've been lucky to find in White a player that fits well with the kind of style we played this season...developing in little time a good chemistry with the starting line up, expecially with LMA.
If you remember before Murray injury a change of style with a sort of up tempo pace, was said to be in order...also Pop said something about that. But with no Murray, that sort of style was possible only with Mills or Forbes as a point guard...and thank God that experiment has never been made or has been abandoned early, 'cause of lack of play making skills of both players...in favor of DDR and then White being the point guards (with outcome of a play off season).
Back to the point, I think the choices about starting players and playing style have been made on the run by Pop with all the assistant coaches...and that's one of the most difficult thinghs and choices you can do during a season...thank God we have brilliants mind as Coach and assistant coaches...in other organizations and with different coaching staff the outcome could have been the complete caos.
So I don't think any of the assistant has little value or is just a yessman...on the contrary the mere fact that a lot of changes have been made with a positive outcome is clearly speaking by himself...(and also speacks about the intelligence and colture of the team and organization...nobody has abandoned the ship or has played "against" the team).

monty4329
04-29-2019, 10:12 AM

No, she is the #1 PR move. Something like a black coaching candidate in NFL a decade ago, it was a league-mandated interview nothing more than that. The qualified black candidates didn't need it, obviously.

monty4329
04-29-2019, 10:14 AM

Oh yes, the summer league.

EricB
04-29-2019, 12:23 PM
If she was the number 1 in a lot of places she would be gone dude. She is the #1 token interview in a lot of places.

ok.

EricB
04-29-2019, 12:23 PM
No, she is the #1 PR move. Something like a black coaching candidate in NFL a decade ago, it was a league-mandated interview nothing more than that. The qualified black candidates didn't need it, obviously.

Nope

Spurs 4 The Win
04-29-2019, 12:31 PM
Nope

Why doesnt she have a job then? She will continue to have her name floated for a long time and not get a job. Dont be a stupid SJW. Women coaching men is a lot more complicated than you think. This isnt some close minded viewpoint, there are very legitimate logistical issues with it that may prevent it from ever being plausible in a successful way. She will eventually get a chance but I assure you it wont be in the near future.

superbigtime
04-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Sorry man but that is truly bullshit.

superbigtime
04-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Why doesnt she have a job then? She will continue to have her name floated for a long time and not get a job. Dont be a stupid SJW. Women coaching men is a lot more complicated than you think. This isnt some close minded viewpoint, there are very legitimate logistical issues with it that may prevent it from ever being plausible in a successful way. She will eventually get a chance but I assure you it wont be in the near future.

Because she and her family love San Antonio. What is there not for her to like? She's interviewed elsewhere and turned some things down. She likes SA. It's not that weird. Plus Becky is not typical woman lol. She's a jock and an alpha. Players respect her.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Because she and her family love San Antonio. What is there not for her to like? She's interviewed elsewhere and turned some things down. She likes SA. It's not that weird. Plus Becky is not typical woman lol. She's a jock and an alpha. Players respect her.

Show me an article saying she turned down a head coaching job to stay in SA.... Ill be waiting :lol

BatManu20
04-29-2019, 12:50 PM
I called this like 3 years ago. There was another thread made about it. Self and RC have been great friends for years (helped get him his job at Kansas). It’s likely going to happen tbh.

superbigtime
04-29-2019, 01:01 PM
Show me an article saying she turned down a head coaching job to stay in SA.... Ill be waiting :lol

wait till you rot ha
I don't have to show you shit

Spurs 4 The Win
04-29-2019, 01:08 PM
wait till you rot ha
I don't have to show you shit

Yeah because you are making shit up :lol She hasn't turned down a job because they are token interviewing her.

monty4329
04-29-2019, 01:11 PM

She was offered and turned down a HC position in the NBA? And nobody knows about it? OK, whatever :rolleyes

monty4329
04-29-2019, 01:15 PM
Sorry man but that is truly bullshit.

I don't know from what you gather that there aren't at least 60-80 people more qualified than her to be HC in the NBA. Honestly, if she wan't a woman, would there be any of all the hype? C'mon...It is even sad for her, if she gets a HC job, as everybody and his brother would know it was a PR stunt anyway.

superbigtime
04-29-2019, 01:20 PM
She was offered and turned down a HC position in the NBA? And nobody knows about it? OK, whatever :rolleyes

I never said that, handsome.

monty4329
04-29-2019, 01:32 PM
I never said that, handsome.

Where did you miss that the point was her getting the SA HC job?

Chomag
04-29-2019, 01:39 PM
I wish Spurs still had PJ, he was never afraid to step up to Pop and call to call out some of Pops BS when he felt that he was wrong. All of the current assistance just say yes to everything and never question Pop.

In other words I honestly don't see any of Pop's current assistants making a strong head coach.

JeffDuncan
04-29-2019, 01:57 PM
... All of the current assistance just say yes to everything and never question Pop.

How do you know that amazing tidbit of information?

exstatic
04-29-2019, 02:05 PM

I remember seeing an interview with Tim where he said that almost every player who ever left here regretted it, and told players who were still here. There is no other organization like this one, and maybe, just maybe, Becky realizes it. Coach Bud stayed here for what, 14 years? Was he not qualified before he actually left to take a GOOD job? Most of the jobs that open every year are SHIT jobs with bad organizations. If you want a good one, you have to wait it out.

superbigtime
04-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Where did you miss that the point was her getting the SA HC job?

Aware of the topic.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-29-2019, 04:02 PM
I remember seeing an interview with Tim where he said that almost every player who ever left here regretted it, and told players who were still here. There is no other organization like this one, and maybe, just maybe, Becky realizes it. Coach Bud stayed here for what, 14 years? Was he not qualified before he actually left to take a GOOD job? Most of the jobs that open every year are SHIT jobs with bad organizations. If you want a good one, you have to wait it out.

If anyone gave a FEMALE a shot at head coach, Becky would jump all over it. That may be true of other Spurs assistants. But when you are BEGGING for a shot, you take it if you are offered. That would be huge news if she got offered.

There are a lot of things working against her. She is still quite a bit off of being a head coach. She has relatively minimal assisting experience and only just became a front row assistant. She will be a head coach in like 10 years probably but certainly not now.

EricB
04-30-2019, 02:55 AM

Think for a second why she didn’t take the jobs

Spurs 4 The Win
04-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Think for a second why she didn’t take the jobs

Because they weren't actually offered :lol

EricB
05-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Because they weren't actually offered :lol

Try again.

JeffDuncan
05-01-2019, 02:00 AM
The top ten reasons why Becky Hammon has turned down all the NBA head coaching jobs she's been offered.

During one interview they kept calling her "honey."

After another interview instead of shaking her hand they tipped her by shoving a 20 dollar bill down her blouse.

At another interview they expected her to fetch the coffee.

At another interview when she asked how much the job paid she was told not to worry her pretty little head about it.

At another interview the GM of the team kept telling her how unhappy he was in his marriage.

And I can't think of ten. So make it top 5.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-01-2019, 08:23 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-becky-hammon-turns-down-florida-coaching-job-will-remain-with-the-spurs/

Hammon turned down an NCAA head coaching job not an NBA head coaching job to stay with the Spurs.

I think a lot of the people trying to discredit if she can be a legit NBA head coach now are being disingenuous about how a decent amount of coaches with little to no coaching experience got jobs right out of the gate. Shit look at Jason Kidd even Luke Walton wasn't an assistant for too long and he has already been giving 2 shots to coach and their are other examples of this throughout history. A lot of former players (which she is) get shots with no experience and some take to it easier than others.

When interviewed if she can do a great job of explaining how she can effectively utilize the players on the roster, how she can manage player egos, pre game or in game adversity, and actually draw smart plays to get the best players the best shots I think any smart GM would and should give her a chance. Of course she would also have to have some strong assistants to round out her staff and maybe she should throw in the reason why she picked each person.

I honestly after seeing how she handled the Summer League squad (better than Will Hardy, I may add) think she is knowledgeable enough to be an NBA head coach

UncleDennis
05-01-2019, 08:54 AM
I heard Bud was chomping at the bit to trade in his young, athletic, long, trending in the right direction, etc, etc, team for the honor of coaching some 90s basketball.

Das Texan
05-01-2019, 09:53 AM
If anyone on this Spurs coaching staff succeeds Pop it will probably be Becky.

That said, I think they would look at others with Spurs ties first...

All depends on how the winds are blowing in the NBA at the time it happens...

bd_monster
05-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Spends 20 years building out a talented coaching network that know the system and know the program......I would hope they look at the talented Pop disciples first.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-01-2019, 08:42 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-becky-hammon-turns-down-florida-coaching-job-will-remain-with-the-spurs/

Hammon turned down an NCAA head coaching job not an NBA head coaching job to stay with the Spurs.

I think a lot of the people trying to discredit if she can be a legit NBA head coach now are being disingenuous about how a decent amount of coaches with little to no coaching experience got jobs right out of the gate. Shit look at Jason Kidd even Luke Walton wasn't an assistant for too long and he has already been giving 2 shots to coach and their are other examples of this throughout history. A lot of former players (which she is) get shots with no experience and some take to it easier than others.

When interviewed if she can do a great job of explaining how she can effectively utilize the players on the roster, how she can manage player egos, pre game or in game adversity, and actually draw smart plays to get the best players the best shots I think any smart GM would and should give her a chance. Of course she would also have to have some strong assistants to round out her staff and maybe she should throw in the reason why she picked each person.

I honestly after seeing how she handled the Summer League squad (better than Will Hardy, I may add) think she is knowledgeable enough to be an NBA head coach

:lol Not the same thing at all. Not even close. Be real.

And that offer was for women's basketball you ding dong. We are talking about MEN'S BASKETBALL. Big difference.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-02-2019, 12:07 AM
:lol Not the same thing at all. Not even close. Be real.

And that offer was for women's basketball you ding dong. We are talking about MEN'S BASKETBALL. Big difference.

I never said it was a Men's basketball offer so what is the issue? I just tried to assist in the conversation about her turning down a coaching offer by posting the info.

Some of the best pro basketball coaches of all time never made it pro or barely got any run if they did make it pro. Shit some of the best GM's barely got run in college! The point is if she knows the game, how to strategize, along with her understanding the locker room dynamic she most likely will do no worse than some of these garbage coaches who keeping getting shots.

She most likely would do better than a lot of former NBA players because she might get assistant's to focus on the fundamentals of the game. Granted this coaching staff and development staff already does a solid job of that

Spurs 4 The Win
05-02-2019, 12:39 AM
I never said it was a Men's basketball offer so what is the issue? I just tried to assist in the conversation about her turning down a coaching offer by posting the info.

Some of the best pro basketball coaches of all time never made it pro or barely got any run if they did make it pro. Shit some of the best GM's barely got run in college! The point is if she knows the game, how to strategize, along with her understanding the locker room dynamic she most likely will do no worse than some of these garbage coaches who keeping getting shots.

She most likely would do better than a lot of former NBA players because she might get assistant's to focus on the fundamentals of the game. Granted this coaching staff and development staff already does a solid job of that

Look, Im not doubting her strategical knowledge or fundamentals. Im just saying that she is going to run into bigtime issues getting hired due to the very real obstacles that come with being a female coach of male players. She will have a hard time commanding respect, motivating, and being a leader of men. There are tons of equally qualified or better qualified male coaches out there, and they have less question marks about their ability to command a locker room by default.

Again, she will eventually get a shot somewhere, and I truly hope she succeeds, it just wont be soon and I pray it wont be here. Spurs are not desperate and should not take a gamble on an unproven commodity. I would be furious if this was her first head coaching gig here.

Dverde
12-09-2019, 04:32 PM
The Atlantic pushing Self as possible replacement for Coach Pop...

From The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/1444751/?source=twitterhq&redirected=1):
As of now, a source said Popovich has given no indication to the organization that he won't be back next season. Yet whenever he steps away, whether it's after he coaches Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics this summer or sometime thereafter, there's one name that continues to come up from league sources as a possible replacement: Bill Self, the longtime Kansas coach and close friend of Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kansas-coach-bill-self-seen-as-possible-spurs-replacement-for-gregg-popovich-per-report/

RC_Drunkford
12-09-2019, 05:26 PM
The Atlantic pushing Self as possible replacement for Coach Pop...

From The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/1444751/?source=twitterhq&redirected=1):
As of now, a source said Popovich has given no indication to the organization that he won't be back next season. Yet whenever he steps away, whether it's after he coaches Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics this summer or sometime thereafter, there's one name that continues to come up from league sources as a possible replacement: Bill Self, the longtime Kansas coach and close friend of Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kansas-coach-bill-self-seen-as-possible-spurs-replacement-for-gregg-popovich-per-report/

That has been the rumor for a while now. I don't know much about him, but considering how bad Pop has coached, I wouldn't be mad if he replaces him

Nivek_ogre
12-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Fuck any college coach. Definitely don't want to see that. Rather see Becky or any former assistant than a college coach. More often than not they're a complete failure.

KobesAchilles
12-09-2019, 08:24 PM
D’Antoni is on the market according to the athletic. We should pick him up. Sure we won’t win a title but we will be more fun to watch than this clusterfuck

sasaint
12-09-2019, 08:32 PM
D’Antoni is on the market according to the athletic. We should pick him up. Sure we won’t win a title but we will be more fun to watch than this clusterfuck

Troll of the Year winner!

Budkin
12-09-2019, 09:44 PM

Nah, fuckallthatnoise

gospursgojas
12-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Would be taking a pay cut to coach Spurs tbh.

gambit1990
12-09-2019, 10:02 PM
i’ve had a good feeling about brent barry for whatever reason. but i guess if he wanted to coach then he’d be on the bench.

GAustex
12-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Bud
Quinn Snyder
The Philly coach
Ime?

MultiTroll
12-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Bud
The Bucks looked horrible in last years backdoor sweep by the Raptors.

Big P
12-10-2019, 10:46 AM
He should have handed the team to Udoka, he would have been the perfect fit, former player, young coach and respected and liked by players..players probably would have come to SA to play for him, unlike pop.

Sugus
12-10-2019, 11:01 AM
He should have handed the team to Udoka, he would have been the perfect fit, former player, young coach and respected and liked by players..players probably would have come to SA to play for him, unlike pop.

Yeah, such a shame we lost both Udoka and Messina both in the same off-season... Pop really overstayed his welcome by coaching this year, we could've deep dived into a tank with Ime/Ettore as HC and start fresh instead of delaying the inevitable whilst losing capable coaches to other teams. Sad to see.

Dverde
12-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Ime can always come back and take the HC job. He’s still an assistant coach. I think it was good he left to experience a different HC. He’ll be a HC for some team within the next two years.

GAustex
12-10-2019, 12:29 PM
That story of Ime going super Sian in Morocco is a great read

Larry O
12-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Hmmm... seeing that this story has resurfaced again. And IF this RUMOR is circulating around, it may be the POSSIBLE reason why the other RUMOR about Becky looking at the coaching position for the Knicks, which I say again, would be suicide for anyone. I just saw another article in Real GM that Masai Ujiuri has turned down Toronto's big extension offer to stay with their organization. It has been also rumored that the Knicks have also been coveting Ujiuri pretty hard as well, and would go to great lengths to have him as the Knicks' GM. So, on paper, to have Ujiuri as their new GM, would offer the possibility of turning this organization around. And to have Becky there, would be a POSSIBLE good PR move, as well. But as long as James Dolan is the owner, I just don't see how even Masai the Messiah, along with Becky, or anyone for that matter, can turn that organization around. It they could, then WOW! I'm sure Becky would love the big stage & limelight of NYC & Madison Square Garden, along with Masai as her GM. And if this RUMOR about Self POSSIBLY replacing Pop, sometime in the near future, then, one can see THE POSSIBLILTY of Becky wanting to move on. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Bill Self. I believe there are some recent allegations of some NCAA violations against the program. It would be nice to see the HC be homegrown such as Becky, Tim or another former assistant or HC who "grew up" within the Spurs organization, BUT with someone like Self coming on board, would inject new blood, along with new ideas. My question is: can Self adjust to & deal with the NBA ways, as well as communicate with NBA players? For instance, it was rumored by the Bleacher Report that the Cavaliers' players were unhappy with John Beilein, the former Michigan HC's style of coaching. Lots of unknowns if Self were HC, perhaps because we don't know what to expect from him, & us as Spurs' fans having Pop for sooo long as HC, would be weird, but in reality, can anyone for that matter, fill his shoes & keep the success going? :corn:

exstatic
12-10-2019, 03:59 PM
College coaches rarely thrive, and in fact, usually don't survive in the NBA. It takes them too long to figure out that they don't really hold the reins. It's a player's league.

dbestpro
12-10-2019, 04:09 PM
The NBA has changed a lot. It no longer takes a smart coach to win. Just line up 5 guys who can shoot the three and go at it. You're not allowed to play defense anyway, so there's no need to worry about that.

DPG21920
12-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Ime can always come back and take the HC job. He’s still an assistant coach. I think it was good he left to experience a different HC. He’ll be a HC for some team within the next two years.

Agreed - it’s not some death blow to leave the franchise and come back. We’ve seen it before and as long as it doesn’t turn into a Bud situation where you can’t get them back because they are head coaches now, nothing is really lost if they leave like IME if you really want them back.

Big P
12-10-2019, 05:11 PM
I agree with all the Ime comments, but we would be in a better place if pop left it to him last year...now we are unnecessarily adding at least a couple of years to the process...Ime as head coach and TD as top assistant would be perfect.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-10-2019, 06:21 PM
the question is, is it possible for him to get over his Self?

ZeusWillJudge
12-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Would be taking a pay cut to coach Spurs tbh.

Plus, college doesn't have a salary cap. :lol

I don't know who is floating this story (again), or why, but it blew up on CBS Sports, ESPN, and a bunch of other sites really quickly. Looks more like someone trying to make a story than anything new.

Self did an interview recently where he denied the rumors about the Spurs, and said that he will definitely be back with Kansas next year. The FBI is investigating college basketball, and the NCAA has charged Self with 5 (I think it's 5) Level I violations. It may not be up to him. (That's all from memory, but I think it's pretty accurate.)

[Edit: I should have mentioned. I don't think they're charging Self with actually doing anything, but with not keeping a watch on assistants. The way the NCAA rules work, that doesn't matter. If there's anything beneath the Level I violations, he's probably a casualty whether he knew or not. I'm not saying the guy is bad, but his nuts are in a vice right now.]

JeffDuncan
12-10-2019, 08:14 PM
According to one news report I saw, a witness alleges that Self, himself, asked Adidas to provide $20,000 to the U.S. guardian of a foreign player.

Ocotillo
12-10-2019, 08:48 PM
I am with Ex on this, college coaches miss more than they succeed in the NBA. I think a big part of this rumor is the relationship between Self and R.C. The Kansas connection is strong, remember Larry Brown brought over R.C. and Ed Manning when he took the Spurs job. The only non-Kansas guy was Pop.

ZeusWillJudge
12-10-2019, 11:03 PM
According to one news report I saw, a witness alleges that Self, himself, asked Adidas to provide $20,000 to the U.S. guardian of a foreign player.

I'm not going to accuse a man when I don't know even a little bit of the truth. Especially if he might be the next coach here. The point is, under NCAA rules the coach is presumed to be responsible for what the staff does. He could be clean and still be looking for a job.

The truth is, I think there's way too much money being made on college ball for the players not to at least get a taste. I know they get scholarships, but when there's that much cash on the line, people go looking for a way to get some for themselves. And I really think some of these coaches are just trying to help some kid who's really struggling, not trying to buy players. But the NCAA doesn't ask my opinion any more than the NBA does.

The Level 1 violations being leveled at Kansas are serious business. I don't know anything inside, but I wouldn't be surprised if that factors into the recent revival of the rumors of him coming to the Spurs.

College coaches are inherently sleazy and opportunist on every level

LOL. Well there's two very different world views. Some are, but "inherently sleazy and opportunist on every level"? Like across the board? Are coaches at the high school level good, college level sleazy, and then good again at the pro level?

I'm just a little curious if you actually know any college coaches, or if that comes from watching movies? [Heh. I probably shouldn't have said this last bit. My daughter and I are sitting here watching an old episode of Without A Trace about a crooked college coach. :D I had a coach in college (different sport) who was a damn good man. I just don't belive that all of them are bad guys, or even most. I'm not passing judgment on Self without knowing more than rumors.]

CGD
12-11-2019, 10:21 AM
I am with Ex on this, college coaches miss more than they succeed in the NBA. I think a big part of this rumor is the relationship between Self and R.C. The Kansas connection is strong, remember Larry Brown brought over R.C. and Ed Manning when he took the Spurs job. The only non-Kansas guy was Pop.

I think it’ll depend where the team is in it’s cycle. Sure, bring in a college coach to a vet team would be tough (see Donovan), but I’m intrigued with was Beline is doing in Cleveland. Sure their record is poor, but they’re playing hard and the young guys seem to be buying in.

Self could we’ll be inheriting a young roster that’s turned over it’s vets.

NickiRasgo
03-07-2020, 01:53 PM
I won't mind Kenny Atkinson who were recently fired by the Nets.

koriwhat
03-07-2020, 02:51 PM

that would be grand! :tu

RC_Drunkford
03-07-2020, 04:09 PM

thought the same, although I don't really care who it is. Anybody is better than Flopovich

Gibbz
03-07-2020, 07:49 PM

First thing that went through my mind when I saw the news that Kyrie/KD fired him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-08-2020, 04:55 AM
He didn't want to coach KD lol okayyy

Kyrie and KD fired him. They'll hire a coach of their choosing.

Coaching is getting less and less relevant as all teams have the same schemes offensively and defensively, everyone plays the same way, have the same plays, the same counters, the same style. The only thing a coach is good for is player development but that's rarely important for contending teams.

tbdog
03-08-2020, 05:02 AM

Coaching is getting less and less relevant as all teams have the same schemes offensively and defensively, everyone plays the same way, have the same plays, the same counters, the same style. The only thing a coach is good for is player development but that's rarely important for contending teams.

Pretty much truth bomb here. Protecting shooters, no hand checking means teams play very similarly. It's sad. Remember when Spurs went up against Nash's Suns, and it was a battle of who could control the pace? Those days are gone.

Twisted_Dawg
03-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Maybe Pop moves on to coach the Nets next season?

Prime BEEF
03-08-2020, 08:54 AM

It was a good call by Kenny. Both are selfish head cases and the team will be average not great. Good call to get out.

SPURt
03-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Atkinson was going to be the scape goat for them next season when they struggle anyways, his days were always numbered.

KobesAchilles
03-08-2020, 11:27 AM
It was a good call by Kenny. Both are selfish head cases and the team will be average not great. Good call to get out.
I agree. KD will only play in 60 games max next season and even then he won’t play more than 25 minutes a game. Remember when Rudy Gay first came back? He played good some games and bad other games bc of his injury. It’ll be the same thing for KD. Anybody expecting the Nets to contend next year are way off base imo

exstatic
03-09-2020, 09:29 AM

Kyrie wants Lue.

Just taking the temperature for now: Jacques Vaughn is taking over as interim HC for the rest of the season in BK, but has very little chance of retaining the position. Would peeps here be OK with him as a potential Spurs hire next year? He has Spurs pedigree, and previous HC experience.

RC_Drunkford
03-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Kyrie wants Lue.

Just taking the temperature for now: Jacques Vaughn is taking over as interim HC for the rest of the season in BK, but has very little chance of retaining the position. Would peeps here be OK with him as a potential Spurs hire next year? He has Spurs pedigree, and previous HC experience.

I don't care if the Coyote coaches the Spurs. Anybody is better than Gregg Flopovich.

MultiTroll
04-04-2022, 09:11 PM
Hope not.

Mr. Body
04-04-2022, 09:31 PM
He never struck me as that great of a coach.

exstatic
04-04-2022, 09:38 PM
College coaches normally can’t make the adjustment to not holding the power on the team.

MultiTroll
04-04-2022, 09:54 PM
College coaches normally can’t make the adjustment to not holding the power on the team.
Lets see if you can get this one Porky without googling.

only coach to lead teams to the NCAA, NIT and NBA finals.

MultiTroll
04-04-2022, 10:39 PM
#3 on Kansas :lmao:rollin:downspin::downspin::downspin:

Can the Selfoviches hang on?

MultiTroll
04-04-2022, 11:20 PM
Can't believe that -3 NC got that good a look for the final three attempt.
But i've given up on BBIQ at NCAA and pro level.

Great comeback by the Selfoviches.
I still think that KU center can be a bench guy in the NBA.

CGD
04-05-2022, 09:49 AM

It's Larry Brown, no?

exstatic
04-05-2022, 09:52 AM

And how long did Larry stay at each stop? Two years? Three? I don’t think we’re looking for a short term solution.

MultiTroll
04-05-2022, 12:24 PM

It's Larry Brown, no?
Fred Schaus

Similar to Stan Albeck, Fred Schaus didn't coach many years in the NBA, but he was a consistent winner when he did. Unlike Albeck, Schaus took charge at his alma mater to begin his head coaching career rather than end it.

Schaus starred as a player at West Virginia and spent five years on the court with the Fort Wayne Pistons and New York Knicks. After his retirement, Schaus headed home to coach the Mountaineers.

WVU reached the NCAA tournament in each of Schaus' six seasons there, but his greatest accomplishment may have been luring in-state star Jerry West to Morgantown. The Mountaineers lost only 12 games over West's three varsity seasons, reaching the 1959 national championship game.

When West left for the NBA, so did Schaus. The two were reunited in Los Angeles, preparing to lead the newly relocated Minneapolis Lakers. The seven years Schaus and West spent together in L.A. were consistently strong, yet never truly dominant. The Lakers recorded only two 50-win seasons, but reached four NBA Finals.

Schaus headed upstairs in 1967, becoming the Lakers' general manager. There, he set about assembling a team that could finally win a championship. Schaus made deals to acquire Wilt Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich and Happy Hairston while drafting Jim McMillian. The four would form the nucleus of the 1972 NBA championship team.

With ring in hand, Schaus went back to college coaching, heading to Purdue University. His success at Purdue was not as spectacular as at WVU, but he still won 104 games in six years. The Boilermakers won the 1974 NIT and made the NCAA tournament in 1977. Schaus was responsible for recruiting Purdue icons like Walter Jordan, Eugene Parker and Joe Barry Carroll.

For his career, Schaus' winning percentages were .563 in the NBA and .720 in college. He remains the only coach to lead teams to the NCAA, NIT and NBA finals.

For more from Scott on college basketball, check out The Back Iron. Coming soon: the 32 in 32 conference preview series.

Follow @4QuartersRadio

need to scroll down.
The Best NBA Coaches Who Got Their Starts in College Basketball | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1792296-the-best-nba-coaches-who-got-their-starts-in-college-basketball)

MultiTroll
04-05-2022, 12:27 PM
You never hear Fred Schaus brought up in Laker history.

"Schaus guided the Lakers to seven consecutive playoff appearances, including 4 Western Conference Championships[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Schaus#cite_note-stavro-2) in 5 years (1962 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_NBA_Finals), 1963 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_NBA_Finals), 1965 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_NBA_Finals) and 1966 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_NBA_Finals))"