PDA

View Full Version : Does that count as clutch?

TDomination
04-25-2019, 11:27 PM
LMA - 26 pts, 10 rebounds, 5 asst
DDR - 25 pts, 7 rebounds, 7 asst

Both stars came up big in an elimination game. Gotta count for something right? Yes it was at home but an elimination game nonetheless where we've seen teams fold plenty of times when backs are against the wall.

Gay finally showed up and that helped but we needed our top 2 guys to be stars and today they were.

Proxy
04-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Yes

TDomination
04-25-2019, 11:32 PM
We like to bash these guys, generally speaking as a forum and it's usually well deserved, but I wanted to give credit where credit is due. Great game by Both guys. Hopefully they can carry it over to game 7!

Arcadian
04-25-2019, 11:37 PM
When Aldridge and Derozan both play well, the Spurs are tough to beat. If only it happened more consistently.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-25-2019, 11:42 PM
Yes.

Now raise the stakes and do it again.

WallyTiger
04-25-2019, 11:44 PM
no, they can do better, this is spursbash not spurspraise, dont go easy on them.
go spurstalk go

FkLA
04-25-2019, 11:51 PM
I don't really trust DeRozan. He's supposed to be some sort of midrange master but I have very little confidence in his midrange/fadeaway shots. Nephew for example is an actual midrange master, he's so efficient and you expect pretty much every midrange/fadeaway shot he takes to go in. I don't get why DeRozan doesn't drive more. He has good size, good athleticism, has a pretty reliable little runner, uses the glass well, and is overall a pretty solid finisher at the rim. If he would've gotten most of his points attacking the basket I'd be more encouraged that he could have a repeat performance in Denver. If he plays the same way, I'd expect him to regress to the mean.

I was more encouraged with Aldridge, atleast early on. He wasn't settling and was attacking the basket. I don't know if it was fatigue but in the second half he went back to mostly fadeaways. Still, I could see him having another good performance in Game 7.

MultiTroll
04-26-2019, 12:31 AM
DD had more clutch shots. Seems like when momentum was about to swing back to Denver he'd hit a self made shot. Like 5 times.
And way to hustle on the missed FT. Even if Denver did slack off, way to be alert and take advantage.

LMA hit some good shots too. That tip in was very nice. But his slacker D in giving up the long trey to Nicoslablc. God that was awful.

Gay also hit some beauty shots. When he is on even if the defender is right on him he creates.

Good game by both tho.

Fireball
04-26-2019, 12:32 AM
everybody sans Mills made shots ...

baseline bum
04-26-2019, 12:36 AM
God that was an impressive performance to shoot 57%. Seems like the Spurs couldn't miss tonight when it came to tough shots (unless it was Mills).

Degoat
04-26-2019, 12:42 AM
One thing I’ll say about DeMar that not many people have discussed in my opinion is this is DeMars first year in a new system. Remember back Richard Jefferson was horrible in his first year and lamarcus Aldridge was pretty bad in his first year as a spur too

DPG21920
04-26-2019, 12:44 AM
God that was an impressive performance to shoot 57%. Seems like the Spurs couldn't miss tonight when it came to tough shots (unless it was Mills).

It’s been wild swings this series for SA. Game 4, literally not making an outside shot for 3 quarters, then lighting it up tonight.

But the tough shot making has not just been sa. DEN making a ton of tough ones too

Kurgan
04-26-2019, 12:53 AM
I don't really trust DeRozan. He's supposed to be some sort of midrange master but I have very little confidence in his midrange/fadeaway shots. Nephew for example is an actual midrange master, he's so efficient and you expect pretty much every midrange/fadeaway shot he takes to go in. I don't get why DeRozan doesn't drive more. He has good size, good athleticism, has a pretty reliable little runner, uses the glass well, and is overall a pretty solid finisher at the rim. If he would've gotten most of his points attacking the basket I'd be more encouraged that he could have a repeat performance in Denver. If he plays the same way, I'd expect him to regress to the mean.

I was more encouraged with Aldridge, atleast early on. He wasn't settling and was attacking the basket. I don't know if it was fatigue but in the second half he went back to mostly fadeaways. Still, I could see him having another good performance in Game 7.

Big difference between the two is that Kawhi studied tape of Jordan while Demar idolized Kirby. You never model your game after an inferior player:

DeMar DeRozan attended the Kobe Bryant Skills Academy in 2007, and you could say he was happy to be there. A native of Compton, Calif., DeRozan’s favorite team was the Los Angeles Lakers and his favorite player was Bryant. Just 16 years old, he said then “it’s fun learning some of the techniques that Kobe uses.”

Since then, Bryant has gone from his idol to “my man,” in DeRozan’s words. After Bryant announced on Sunday that this will be his last season in the NBA, DeRozan spoke about him in reverential terms. He called it an honor every time he had the chance to be around him. He said people don’t understand how hard it is to play in this league for 20 years. He recalled sitting in his house and watching Bryant score 81 points against the team he'd eventually lead, feeling like it was him controlling Bryant in a video game.

“I think a lot of people don’t understand Kobe,” DeRozan said. “They look at Kobe like he’s an asshole. Which he’s not. He’s just one of them guys who wants every single thing out of the game of basketball. He sacrificed so much to do that. I think a lot of times people don’t appreciate that side of him. But, you know, my experience with him, he’s a hell of a guy. I think people won’t realize that until he’s away from the game.”

After praising Bryant’s “killer instinct,” “dominant presence” and “grit that you don’t see too often,” DeRozan said he planned to inform Bryant he wants to work with him one-on-one. “I’ma tell him I need every move he has,” DeRozan said, adding that anything he does in the post, he took from Bryant.

“He meant everything,” DeRozan said. “I try to emulate, learn so much from him ever since I was a kid. Watching every single game growing up in Los Angeles, having a chance to get with him and learn from him and from conversations even when I was in high school [to] playing against him, competing against him and being in big games with him. It’s definitely a sad, sad day, but he’s been in the game a long time. He’s definitely one of the best in my era that I’ve seen play, and I think he’s going to have a proper exit after announcing it.”

MannyIsGod
04-26-2019, 01:04 AM
LMA - 26 pts, 10 rebounds, 5 asst
DDR - 25 pts, 7 rebounds, 7 asst

Both stars came up big in an elimination game. Gotta count for something right? Yes it was at home but an elimination game nonetheless where we've seen teams fold plenty of times when backs are against the wall.

Gay finally showed up and that helped but we needed our top 2 guys to be stars and today they were.

You're looking at the wrong group of fans trying to give these two props. They're too busy prepping their angry threads in case we lose game 7.

azarel
04-26-2019, 01:39 AM

tbh i wonder if Demar stopped attacking the basket as often as we like cos the referees have been swallowing the whistle when he gets fouled on his drives.

r0drig0lac
04-26-2019, 05:03 AM
they are the two best players on this roster, it's normal.

boutons_deux
04-26-2019, 05:39 AM

those 2 + RG = 70 pts

monty4329
04-26-2019, 05:40 AM

It is not normal, especially in DDR case. His normal is to choke. This time he had a very good game. Hope it won't waste it in game 7

RD2191
04-26-2019, 07:42 AM
No. It's expected.

Biggems
04-26-2019, 08:08 AM
I want DD to take about three 3s a game. The D knows he doesn't shoot them, but if he would shoot a few, it would keep the D honest and open things up offensively.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2019, 09:38 PM
Lack of consistency throughout their careers is what has actually plagued those two otherwise very good players.

Mugen
04-26-2019, 09:49 PM
You're looking at the wrong group of fans trying to give these two props. They're too busy prepping their angry threads in case we lose game 7.

https://media.tenor.com/images/cb5366c100efb0b8c41bc9c617888ff5/tenor.gif

RC_Drunkford
04-26-2019, 10:21 PM
I want DD to take about three 3s a game. The D knows he doesn't shoot them, but if he would shoot a few, it would keep the D honest and open things up offensively.

He was a decent 3-point shooter his last year @ Toronto. He shot a lot of catch & shoots, but also transition 3s and he shot them from anywhere. Occassionally he got hot. Shot 31% on 3.5 attempts. I hope Pop tells him to work on that with Chip and let's him shoot them next year. That would improve the team and spacing tremendously and makes him a bigger threat off the ball as well

EricB
04-27-2019, 02:27 AM
Demar has been pretty good outside of fame 5. Yet this fan base continues to shit on him for no reason..

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-27-2019, 03:49 AM
Demar has been pretty good outside of fame 5. Yet this fan base continues to shit on him for no reason..

100% true.

He has been better than I thought he would be all season