PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbiest Team The Spurs Have Lost To In The Playoffs?

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 12:04 AM
This was a pretty scrubby Nuggets team. As regular season paper tiger as they come, tbh.

They couldn't even put any pressure on the Warriors for the one seed when they had their chance.

Jamal Murray seriously their second best player?

We sucking so bad that people are actually comparing some glorified Kevin Love to the great Larry Bird?

dabom7
04-28-2019, 12:41 AM
It was the 2011 Grizzlies 'til tonight. New low, tbh.

daslicer
04-28-2019, 12:43 AM
Nuggets are legit. They just played nervous against the Spurs due to their inexperience. Jokic is a legit superstar. They will play a lot more looser now against the Blazers. I have them beating the Blazers.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Nuggets are legit. They just played nervous against the Spurs due to their inexperience. Jokic is a legit superstar. They will play a lot more looser now against the Blazers. I have them beating the Blazers.

Who do you put as scrubbier than them in Spurs playoff lost history?

They're a legit 8 seed miraculously getting a 2 seed, tbh.

There was no other match-up that the Spurs wanted. This was it.

In essence we got a 7 vs. 8 match-up but lost b/c we didn't have home court.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-28-2019, 12:50 AM
I personally wouldve selected the Dragic/Nash Suns that swept us in 2010.

BlackAndWhite
04-28-2019, 12:53 AM
The 2011 Grizzlies were pretty good. It was the best iteration of them as they took OKC to 7 and almost won. Who knows what would have happened if they played the mavs in the next round.

daslicer
04-28-2019, 12:54 AM

You are just a hater. Spurs only chance of beating them was taking advantage of their inexperience and they almost did it. They had the best player on the court in Jokic. He was better than both Demar and LMA. Can't say a team is a scrub team when they have the best player. Like I said before they will beat the Blazers in round 2.

I can't comment on the '77 Celtics,'91 Warriors since they were before my time. I became a fan back in '94. I will say the '00 Suns were the scrubbiest team. If Duncan plays in that series then the Spurs would have swept them.

daslicer
04-28-2019, 12:58 AM

There was no other match-up that the Spurs wanted. This was it.

In essence we got a 7 vs. 8 match-up but lost b/c we didn't have home court.

They weren't really a 7th seed talent wise. They are only 2 teams in the West that are legitimately better than them and those teams are the Rox/Warriors.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:01 AM
You are just a hater. Spurs only chance of beating them was taking advantage of their inexperience and they almost did it. They had the best player on the court in Jokic. He was better than both Demar and LMA. Can't say a team is a scrub team when they have the best player. Like I said before they will beat the Blazers in round 2.

I can't comment on the '77 Celtics,'91 Warriors since they were before my time. I became a fan back in '94. I will say the '00 Suns were the scrubbiest team. If Duncan plays in that series then the Spurs would have swept them.

Sure, Jokic was legit (enough). But that doesn't mean that they were not scrubby as a team. Again, it was an eight seed team in essence. There was no "only chance" cos we were probably a bit better, tbh. A lot of teams would've taken out this Nuggets team in 5.

daslicer
04-28-2019, 01:02 AM
Sure, Jokic was legit (enough). But that doesn't mean that they were not scrubby as a team. Again, it was an eight seed team in essence. There wasno "only chance". A lot of teams would've taken out this Nuggets team in 5.

In the West besides the Warrior/Rox who else would have been able to take this Nuggets team out in 5?

DMC
04-28-2019, 01:02 AM
This was a pretty scrubby Nuggets team. As regular season paper tiger as they come, tbh.

They couldn't even put any pressure on the Warriors for the one seed when they had their chance.

Jamal Murray seriously their second best player?

We sucking so bad that people are actually comparing some glorified Kevin Love to the great Larry Bird?

The best player the Spurs have is Aldridge, a guy who, when he left his team, they actually got better. DDR was traded for a pocket full of mumbles such are promises. He was a career choker anyhow. So the teams who traded or lost players to SA got better, but SA just stood pat. Where have we seen this?

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:03 AM
They weren't really a 7th seed talent wise. They are only 2 teams in the West that are legitimately better than them and those teams are the Rox/Warriors.

Jazz are better. Clippers might've even beat them. OKC are scrubs, too; but they would've had no problem going 6 or 7 against them. Blazers are better, too. Don't know why you're so convinced Denver moving on in the next round, tbh.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:05 AM
The best player the Spurs have his Aldridge, a guy who, when he left his team, they actually got better.

Yea, b/c he was allowed to take jumper after jumper from one foot inside the three point line and bail teams out. Now, I get people gonna jump on that statement; but he's actually gotten a lot better about not doing that since his Portland days.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:07 AM
BTW, how cool is it that the 77 C's are on the list? They were 44-38 and had won the championship the prior season; so really not that scrubby, tbh.

Had Hondo (Havlicek) not retired after the 76 season, I wouldn't have included them out of respect.

DMC
04-28-2019, 01:08 AM
Yea, b/c he was allowed to take jumper after jumper from one foot inside the three point line and bail teams out. Now, I get people gonna jump on that statement; but he's actually gotten a lot better about not doing that since his Portland days.

The best thing LMA ever did to win hearts and minds is to not quit after 1 year. All else is just more of the same "A for effort" bullshit.

daslicer
04-28-2019, 01:14 AM
Jazz are better. Clippers might've even beat them. OKC are scrubs, too; but they would've had no problem going 6 or 7 against them. Blazers are better, too. Don't know why you're so convinced Denver moving on in the next round, tbh.

Clippers advantage against most teams is being physical and it's why they were able to push the Warriors to 6. Warriors don't have good big men and they took advantage of it. During the regular season Jokic/Milsap had a field day with the Clippers. Jokic would have broken Harrell in half in a 7 game series. Nuggets blew out the Clippers in 3 out 4 games this year. OKC is a terrible playoff team. They would have had an easy time with them. It's just Westbrick chucking up a lot of bad shots. Nuggets also swept the season series with them.

The nuggets are 3-1 against the Blazers during the regular season. With the loss of Nurkic the Blazers have nobody that can check Jokic. Murray-Harris may not cancel out Lillard-Mccolum but they match up well with them. Add Jokic in there and it gives them more than enough to beat the Blazers.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:18 AM
The best thing LMA ever did to win hearts and minds is to not quit after 1 year. All else is just more of the same "A for effort" bullshit.

I think he's getting a bit of a bum rap. I think the effort is there, and sometimes he gets shat on for not appearing engaged. But I've been watching and the effort is there play after play at both ends of the court. Yea, sometimes he'll still sh** his pants like he did in the first half. He just clearly has a comfort level. Like I said in the thread I started about this being the least likeable Spurs team, that if LMA were a real leader he would've called out Kawhi for quitting on the team. But that's just not him. He's been getting it done for the most part on the court. Don't give him midgets for a supporting cast FFS.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:24 AM
Clippers advantage against most teams is being physical and it's why they were able to push the Warriors to 6. Warriors don't have good big men and they took advantage of it. During the regular season Jokic/Milsap had a field day with the Clippers. Jokic would have broken Harrell in half in a 7 game series. Nuggets blew out the Clippers in 3 out 4 games this year. OKC is a terrible playoff team. They would have had an easy time with them. It's just Westbrick chucking up a lot of bad shots. Nuggets also swept the season series with them.

The nuggets are 3-1 against the Blazers during the regular season. With the loss of Nurkic the Blazers have nobody that can check Jokic. Murray-Harris may not cancel out Lillard-Mccolum but they match up well with them. Add Jokic in there and it gives them more than enough to beat the Blazers.

Of course the Nuggets went above the mean against WC playoff teams. They wouldn't have ended up with the 2 seed otherwise. Playoffs is a different beast. Portland losing Nurkic should hurt them when facing off against Jokic. But they've been so hot and show no sign of letdown that I'm not betting against them.

OKC have George who can make shots at the end of games, which is what you need in the playoffs. Nuggets were sh**ing their pants at the end of this game. If the Spurs didn't put themselves in such a hole, they would've won this game and the series, almost no question about it.

Clippers were up and down all season. That's just an anything can happen scenario. But no, I would not expect the Nuggets to dominate. They'd have to win in 6 or 7 like any series they'll be in.

I think you over estimate the idea that Jokic is "wearing down" anyone. He is not in great shape; he tends to be the guy in danger of being worn down, tbh. At the end of this game, he wasn't doing much cos his conditioning is frankly not there.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:32 AM
I personally wouldve selected the Dragic/Nash Suns that swept us in 2010.

Nash and Stoudemire were starting all stars that season. Guys like Grant Hill and Jason Richardson still had something in the tank. Throw in an up and comer like Dragic and I don't think they were that scrubby at all. Gtting swept by them was a bit of a low nonetheless; but the question isn't weighting in overall embarrassment rather than just asking who is scrubbiest; and there's no way it was the 2010 Suns, an iteration of a team who probably should've been the 2007 champions, tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
04-28-2019, 01:33 AM
the Grizzwolds in 2011 were atrocious and couldn't shoot 3s to save their lives

FkLA
04-28-2019, 01:38 AM
Denver and it's not even close.

The Grizzlies actually beat us in 2011. Today, it wasn't anything Denver did. They actually played horrible. The Spurs just outsucked them.

DMC
04-28-2019, 01:39 AM
I think he's getting a bit of a bum rap. I think the effort is there, and sometimes he gets shat on for not appearing engaged. But I've been watching and the effort is there play after play at both ends of the court. Yea, sometimes he'll still sh** his pants like he did in the first half. He just clearly has a comfort level. Like I said in the thread I started about this being the least likeable Spurs team, that if LMA were a real leader he would've called out Kawhi for quitting on the team. But that's just not him. He's been getting it done for the most part on the court. Don't give him midgets for a supporting cast FFS.

A for effort.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:51 AM
A for effort.

Supporting cast needed to be better. How many stars gonna get it done with Mills 29 minutes and Forbes 39 minutes in the back court?

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 01:57 AM
I can't comment on the '77 Celtics,'91 Warriors since they were before my time.

Teams who are really just on there to round out the list because most the the teams the Spurs have lost to are in later rounds and not very scrubby at all.

91 Warriors were only 45-37, but they had Run TMC, which is one of the most prolific trios of all-time. Still one of the worse teams the Spurs have lost to all the same.

DMC
04-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Supporting cast needed to be better. How many stars gonna get it done with Mills 29 minutes and Forbes 39 minutes in the back court?

Everyone needed to be better. We know the Spurs have a shitty roster. They always make scrubs look better than they are by running them through the filter of a system, however when that system isn't fully functional, the scrub in them shines through. This is where the stars come out, when the system breaks down and they have to create. Manu was a master of this. Even yesterday, Manu in street clothes would have scored at least 8 points in the 1st quarter.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 03:19 PM
Everyone needed to be better. We know the Spurs have a shitty roster. They always make scrubs look better than they are by running them through the filter of a system, however when that system isn't fully functional, the scrub in them shines through. This is where the stars come out, when the system breaks down and they have to create. Manu was a master of this. Even yesterday, Manu in street clothes would have scored at least 8 points in the 1st quarter.

I had the thought that Manu was the missing piece. Thought about making a thread on it; but I've seen that tired debate on here.