PDA

View Full Version : Pop's benching of White

SpurPadre
04-28-2019, 12:20 AM
regardless of whether some of you think White is better than Murray or not, this action by Pop pretty much confirms he will start Murray over him when he's cleared to play. I do not believe he'd start both of them together, either. White will be a good player and will have a solid career but tonight's decision by Pop in an ultimately close Game 7 spoke volumes about what he thinks about him moving forward in terms of the pecking order. He will be a great 6th man, in my opinion though.

Degoat
04-28-2019, 12:22 AM
You seem like a Derrick white hater.... I like dejounte and for the betterment of team white may have to be the 6th man but can dejounte even make a jump shot yet lol

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2019, 12:23 AM
I don't know why you bring Murray up when he played Patty Mills. You should be mad at the fact that you will have to see another season of Patty Mills running around like a headless chicken for 12 million per year

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:23 AM
Instagram Baller can get rebounds and defend the 1 position. White doesn't do shit. :lol

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:24 AM
You seem like a Derrick white hater.... I like dejounte and for the betterment of team white may have to be the 6th man but can dejounte even make a jump shot yet lol

Dejounte was scoring at a good clip in the regular season and had some high point games. Dude can score and defend, and most important, rebound at the elite level from the PG position.

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2019, 12:26 AM
I'm not a huge White fan, but it's crazy how Murray's stock has gone up here just by people forgetting how terrible of an offensive player he is:lol

SpurPadre
04-28-2019, 12:26 AM
regardless of whether some of you think White is better than Murray or not, this action by Pop pretty much confirms he will start Murray over him when he's cleared to play. I do not believe he'd start both of them together, either. White will be a good player and will have a solid career but tonight's decision by Pop in an ultimately close Game 7 spoke volumes about what he thinks about him moving forward in terms of the pecking order. He will be a great 6th man, in my opinion though.

THAT is hate?

spurraider21
04-28-2019, 12:27 AM
white earned his benching tbh. he shit the bed on both ends

SpurPadre
04-28-2019, 12:29 AM
I'm not a huge White fan, but it's crazy how Murray's stock has gone up here just by people forgetting how terrible of an offensive player he is:lol

It's called expecting better things from a player with more talent and a higher ceiling.

DAF86
04-28-2019, 12:29 AM

Dude, Murray got token minutes last season on the playoffs. How is that better than White besting every statistical category from the regular on these playoffs? :lol

DAF86
04-28-2019, 12:31 AM
It's called expecting better things from a player with more talent and a higher ceiling.

More talent where? Because it sure as hell isn't at dribbling, scoring or passing the ball, tbh. :lol

Degoat

I hope dejounte becomes a star but he tore his ACL! Yalls expectations for him need to be lowered

SpurPadre
Dude, Murray got token minutes last season on the playoffs. How is that better than White besting every statistical category from the regular on these playoffs? :lol

On the regular? WTF are you smoking? Murray getting token minutes in a series we had no prayer of winning with Manu and TP's last stand is different from White being benched in a winnable game 7.

Degoat
04-28-2019, 12:32 AM
Look I like all of the spurs young players but Derrick White has impressed me more then dejounte has

Mugen
04-28-2019, 12:32 AM
white earned his benching tbh. he shit the bed on both ends

Sure, for three quarters.

Patty shit the bed for an entire series and never once had to worry about his minutes getting cut in a Game 7 :rollin

DAF86
04-28-2019, 12:33 AM
On the regular? WTF are you smoking? Murray being benched in a series we had no prayer of winning is different from White being benched in a winnable game 7.

Ok, now explain me how 7 ppg on 40% shooting is better than 17 ppg on 60% shooting.

DavidTheGoliath
04-28-2019, 12:34 AM
Ugh isnt he injured or still recovering from it?

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:34 AM
We lost this series cause of white bum ass. :lmao

spurraider21
04-28-2019, 12:36 AM

Patty shit the bed for an entire series and never once had to worry about his minutes getting cut in a Game 7 :rollin
true. patty struggled all series. i've commented one that regularly.

when the chips were down, pop is going to trust a struggling player who has been there vs a struggling young guy with his confidence shot

SpurPadre
04-28-2019, 12:36 AM
Ok, now explain me how 7 ppg on 40% shooting is better than 17 ppg on 60% shooting.

He was barely 20 playing against one of the greatest teams of all-time. White is approaching 25 and benched in the most important game of the season. Again, it was Manu and TP's last stand as Spurs legends. Of course their usage was going to be greater.

UZER
04-28-2019, 12:38 AM

when the chips were down, pop is going to trust a struggling player who has been there vs a struggling young guy with his confidence shot

Yeah, so been there that he didn’t even know to foul at the end. :lol

Capt Bringdown

Not to mention Belli. The White haters are coming out of the woodwork it seems.

Mugen

Fair enough, and I hope this was his last game coaching.

DAF86
04-28-2019, 12:39 AM
He was barely 20 playing against one of the greatest teams of all-time. White is approaching 25 and benched in the most important game of the season. Again, it was Manu and TP's last stand as Spurs legends. Of course their usage was going to be greater.

It was both guys first playoffs series as starters, tbh. One played the part, the other didn't.

Hoops Czar
04-28-2019, 12:40 AM

Danny use to get benched 30 seconds into a game for missing a defensive assignment but Paddy's out there missing 7 defensive assignments in a row, and Pop's giving him high five's and patting on the back.

Paddy shits is to Pop what Lloyd Daniels was to George Lucas. The obsession is real.

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:40 AM
It was both guys first playoffs series as starters, tbh. One played the part, the other didn't.

What part. Making us fucking lose. :lmao

$pursDynasty
04-28-2019, 12:42 AM
Pop's brand of tough love either makes you a killer or destroys you. White's exiling/benching will either make him a vital part of the Spurs foundation but could just as easily have started the timeclock to him leaving. "Screw this benching me in favor of Patty, I can't wait til I Kingslayer this team." The modern athlete isn't made for Pop's brand of tough love. I am sure Lonnie secretly wishes he would have been drafted somewhere else, and KNOWS he would have gotten more run on ANY other team. Spurs development might have a great track record but that doesn't mean the young players like it.

TheGreatYacht
04-28-2019, 12:44 AM
Mugen is the only one right here. Blaming the correct person instead of debating who sucks less between instagram baller and fathead 2.0

LongtimeSpursFan
04-28-2019, 12:47 AM
Big players make big shots in big games. White was shook from tip-off

jermaine
04-28-2019, 12:47 AM
White needs to work on his jumper an he'll be good as our new 6th man. An resign Gay

DAF86
04-28-2019, 12:51 AM
What part. Making us fucking lose. :lmao

That would be your guy, tbh. Only thing he's suppossed tonbe good at and he doesn't deliver all series long.

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2019, 12:51 AM
White shot 60% for the series, and 38% from 3. Even at 0-7, he was the better option over Mills in a game 7, ffs.

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:54 AM
White shot 60% for the series, and 38% from 3. Even at 0-7, he was the better option over Mills in a game 7, ffs.

The 3 Ball is everything. You must have missed the fucking game. :lmao

objective
04-28-2019, 12:55 AM
Danny use to get benched 30 seconds into a game for missing a defensive assignment but Paddy's out there missing 7 defensive assignments in a row, and Pop's giving him high five's and patting on the back.

Paddy shits is to Pop what Lloyd Daniels was to George Lucas. The obsession is real.

Wait, Lloyd Daniels the Spur? George Lucas?

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:55 AM
That would be your guy, tbh. Only thing he's suppossed tonbe good at and he doesn't deliver all series long.

When we lose, it's clearly cause of white bum ass. :lmao

DMC
04-28-2019, 12:56 AM
Pop benched Kawhi, Tim and Tony in the playoffs. Benching people who aren't playing right is Pop's calling card. If you read more into that than situational decisions you don't know much about basketball or Pop.

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2019, 12:57 AM
The 3 Ball is everything. You must have missed the fucking game. :lmao

Mills shot 11% from 3 for the series. You must have missed...well, everything.

dabom6
04-28-2019, 12:58 AM
Mills shot 11% from 3 for the series. You must have missed...well, everything.

Yeah +7 vs -9. Let's play white some more. :lmao

Degoat
04-28-2019, 01:05 AM
Can y’all name anybody who has torn an ACL and has comeback better in the NBA?? Lol

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2019, 01:12 AM
Can y’all name anybody who has torn an ACL and has comeback better in the NBA?? Lol

Bernard King.

Degoat
04-28-2019, 01:17 AM
Bernard King.

king posted up quite a lot though, dejounte relies on his quickness and athleticism way more

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2019, 01:29 AM
king posted up quite a lot though, dejounte relies on his quickness and athleticism way more

King was a star before his injury, unlike Murray who hasn't accomplished anything - I didn't mean to compare him to Murray, other than to answer your question about coming back from ACL.
I hope Murray comes back, but his ceiling is nowhere near King, who was an amazing / top 50 all time NBA player.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 01:50 AM
Are you little girls still arguing about whose boyfriend is cuter? Grow up.

The starting point guard for next season will be determined by performance in camp and the preseason.

vander
04-28-2019, 02:08 AM
Are you little girls still arguing about whose boyfriend is cuter? Grow up.

The starting point guard for next season will be determined by performance in camp and the preseason.

You dont know that. Could be whoever has better taste in wine.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-28-2019, 02:18 AM
There is no justification for sticking with mills given the series performance he had had thus far.
None.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-28-2019, 02:19 AM
We would have been blown out to shit had the Nuggets been better coached and had playoff experience
Murray literally could have done anything he wanted that last 5 minutes

monty4329
04-28-2019, 03:45 AM

Exactly. We don't have enough guards that can't shoot. Let's sign Rubio too.

monty4329
04-28-2019, 03:46 AM
There is no justification for sticking with mills given the series performance he had had thus far.
None.

Mills was on the court from -17 to -4

monty4329
04-28-2019, 03:47 AM
Bernard King.

He wasn't better. He was a monster before, and almost always bigger than his defender, didn't really need a spring.

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-28-2019, 03:54 AM
Mugen is the only one right here. Blaming the correct person instead of debating who sucks less between instagram baller and fathead 2.0

Fuck Pop

DavidTheGoliath
04-28-2019, 04:14 AM
Lets blame the coach for making the team take those stupid midrange js and missing them, in the first quarter.

John B
04-28-2019, 04:32 AM
Kobe let it fly and airballed several times in his rookie year, but Jackson stuck with him. I’m no fan of Jackson nor Kobe. I do admire Kobe though and his tenacity. White was our guy in three wins and was one of the main reason why Spurs were in game 7 in the place. White could’ve defended down 4. He’s Spurs future. Why not let him stay. Wrong fucking move tbh

objective
04-28-2019, 05:27 AM
White is the biggest reason they made the playoffs

He's why they had a chance in this series.

Just another classic Spurs thing to add to the list

Horse
04-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Pop has a history of waiting to long. We needed white to defend and he’s a guy who can heat up quick. And one of the few who can get to the rim.

NameLess Scrub
04-28-2019, 07:39 AM

More talent where? Because it sure as hell isn't at dribbling, scoring or passing the ball, tbh. :lol

Basically.

RD2191
04-28-2019, 08:01 AM
OP is a huge faggot

Trueblood
04-28-2019, 08:27 AM
If you took that starting lineup last night and put Murray in for Forbes I believe we win that game. Murray can rebound and defend well and White can facilitate and pass well. Both have the ability to get to the rim. Play them both together next season. Lock down the backcourt defense.

emanueldavidginobili
04-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Lou Williams, Zach Lavine.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2019, 08:35 AM
It's as obvious as day that White is the better player now between Murray and himself. That's not to say Dejounte can't get better and eventually be something Derrick will never be. But if you just look at the numbers White being better is obvious and the eye test also says this is the case.

White was benched yesterday because he was playing bad and for all the Mills hate people spew on here the fact of the matter is Mills helped the team come back and almost win game 7.

jjktkk
04-28-2019, 08:47 AM

You know when the @TheGreatTwat endorses your post, you definitely don't know what the fuck you're talking about.:lol

monty4329
04-28-2019, 09:11 AM
If you took that starting lineup last night and put Murray in for Forbes I believe we win that game. Murray can rebound and defend well and White can facilitate and pass well. Both have the ability to get to the rim. Play them both together next season. Lock down the backcourt defense.

Yes, those long 3s from Murray, we missed those last night

duncan2k5
04-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Kobe let it fly and airballed several times in his rookie year, but Jackson stuck with him. I’m no fan of Jackson nor Kobe. I do admire Kobe though and his tenacity. White was our guy in three wins and was one of the main reason why Spurs were in game 7 in the place. White could’ve defended down 4. He’s Spurs future. Why not let him stay. Wrong fucking move tbh

Pop wouldn't have played Kobe regularly until he was at least 23

superbigtime
04-28-2019, 10:10 AM
sucks

ceperez
04-28-2019, 10:21 AM
White should have been on the court for the 4th quarter.

Everyone (including the Nuggets) played horrible in the first half.

White should have been on the court in the 4th to bring home the win.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 11:38 AM

We sure as hell missed his rebounding. We missed his defense.

How many long 3s did White make in that game? The correct answer is 0.

But all you little girls should knock it off. It's a stupid argument.

We need both White and Murray. And Walker, btw.

MoSpur02
04-28-2019, 11:46 AM
I was more pissed seeing Marco out there than Patty. Marco didn't do anything to earn playing time.

MoSpur02
04-28-2019, 11:48 AM
I was upset seeing White on the bench, but Mills was part of that group that brought the Spurs back within 4 points.

Trueblood
04-28-2019, 11:50 AM

Cause that's all there is to basketball right? We were out rebounded and we could have used his defense on their Murray. DJ is better on offense than Forbes is on defense.

monty4329
04-28-2019, 11:54 AM
We sure as hell missed his rebounding. We missed his defense.

How many long 3s did White make in that game? The correct answer is 0.

But all you little girls should knock it off. It's a stupid argument.

We need both White and Murray. And Walker, btw.

Can you read, you idiot?

RodNIc91
04-28-2019, 11:58 AM
I was more pissed seeing Marco out there than Patty. Marco didn't do anything to earn playing time.

+1. What was Bellineli doing better than White? SMDH

monty4329
04-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Cause that's all there is to basketball right? We were out rebounded and we could have used his defense on their Murray. DJ is better on offense than Forbes is on defense.

WTF can you at least read the statsheet before writing? Forbes outrebounded DEN starting guards.
He scored 19 points on 7-11, 18% of the team points.

Fucking Rubio shoots better than DJ, good luck having him on the court together with White.

Go back to your NBA 2K19.

monty4329
04-28-2019, 12:06 PM
I was upset seeing White on the bench, but Mills was part of that group that brought the Spurs back within 4 points.

Yes, some people are so dumb they don't even know what they were watching. White was frozen; probably was afraid, game7 and all. it is lunacy to expect better after 3 awful quarters. Who got the team back from -17 was clearly the best possible lineup to close the game.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Can you read, you idiot?

Can you read, or even think, you stupid little turd kissing faggot?

Try again, you stupid little shit head.

ceperez
04-28-2019, 12:21 PM
The one silver lining about this benching....

White will have to work harder in the summer to improve!!!

monty4329
04-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Can you read, or even think, you stupid little turd kissing faggot?

Try again, you stupid little shit head.

you are lucky I taste good

FkLA
04-28-2019, 12:24 PM
What makes you so sure Pop wouldn't bench Instagram Baller for his pet Wombat as well?

The real issue here isn't White/Instagram Baller, it's Wombat. Regardless of who starts (should be White but that's for another discussion) they should both be out there in crunchtime. I guarantee you one of them won't be though to make room for Pop's precious Wombat.

tholdren
04-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Lets blame the coach for making the team take those stupid midrange js and missing them, in the first quarter.

I will disagree with this. Pop should have set the expectation to not do this before the game. Then sat the players who were not aggressive.

ceperez
04-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Pop has a VERY short leash for the younger players of this team.

Did anyone ask what happened to Bertans? He hasn't played since the 5th game.

Walker could have been serviceable against Denver's guards. He barely played.

Poetl... never played in the 4th.

00:52.2 SAS 86-88 ... should have called timeout and replaced Mills for White. TO DEFEND!

Then call a timeout if and when Denver scores or misses!!

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 12:35 PM
What makes you so sure Pop wouldn't bench Instagram Baller for his pet Wombat as well?

Pop would bench anybody for wombat now. It's pathological.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Pop has a VERY short leash for the younger players of this team.

Pop treats all the young players like he treated Danny Green.

ceperez
04-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Pop's coaching philosophy is that a player learns from adversity.

That's why the trade with the Raptors. It's important for the Spurs to play in the playoffs! That's the trial of fire.

Unfortunately, previous playoff performance gets you kicked out of the team.

Examples:
Danny Green - 4.2ppg in 2018 playoffs, traded next year
Boris Diaw - Played badly in 2015, traded in 2016.
Richard Jefferson - 6.5ppg in playoffs in 2011, traded next year
Udrich - Played badly in '07, gone next year

Kobe'sAchilles
04-28-2019, 01:27 PM
White shit the bed. I will eat crow on his play last night. But you can't close with Mills. Period. White had won us a game in the playoffs (could be argued he was the best player in game 1 also) so you close the series with him. The last time Patty won us a playoff game was?? I honestly can't think of one.

ceperez
04-28-2019, 01:35 PM
White shit the bed. I will eat crow on his play last night. But you can't close with Mills. Period. White had won us a game in the playoffs (could be argued he was the best player in game 1 also) so you close the series with him. The last time Patty won us a playoff game was?? I honestly can't think of one.

Exactly. Aldridge and DeRozan played horribly in the first half. Yet, they had the green light to keep chucking. Why the short leash on White? If Pop valued player development, he should have stuck with White. In fact, did not White go to the table 3 times during the game and get waived back 3 times? He should have been given the opportunity to redeem his bad play. Heck... Mills played 9 minutes more than White but only managed one more point ( 5 vs 4 ) points.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Pop's coaching philosophy is that a player learns from adversity.

That's why the trade with the Raptors. It's important for the Spurs to play in the playoffs! That's the trial of fire.

Unfortunately, previous playoff performance gets you kicked out of the team.

Examples:
Danny Green - 4.2ppg in 2018 playoffs, traded next year
Boris Diaw - Played badly in 2015, traded in 2016.
Richard Jefferson - 6.5ppg in playoffs in 2011, traded next year
Udrich - Played badly in '07, gone next year

At least 2 of those were good moves. Diaw and Dick had to go. While I really thought Beno had the goods to displace Tony, he was absolutely eaten alive by Hunter in the playoffs. He showed up next training camp with an injury and never got out of Pop's doghouse. Possibly also a good move to dump him. He had a decent career as a serviceable rotation player but never realized the potential he flashed in his first regular season here. Danny is the only real head-scratcher.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 01:39 PM

Exactly. Aldridge and DeRozan played horribly in the first half. Yet, they had the green light to keep chucking. Why the short leash on White? If Pop valued player development, he should have stuck with White. In fact, did not White go to the table 3 times during the game and get waived back 3 times? He should have been given the opportunity to redeem his bad play. Heck... Mills played 9 minutes more than White but only managed one more point ( 5 vs 4 ) points.

Mills committed some bad plays, too. His 5th foul (as I recall) was a senseless grab of Murray(?) coming around a pick.

therealtruth
04-28-2019, 01:46 PM
OTOH if Malone had done that with Murray he would probably not have won the series.

Trueblood
04-28-2019, 01:52 PM
WTF can you at least read the statsheet before writing? Forbes outrebounded DEN starting guards.
He scored 19 points on 7-11, 18% of the team points.

Fucking Rubio shoots better than DJ, good luck having him on the court together with White.

Go back to your NBA 2K19.

Actually I don't pour over stat sheets or play video games. I have a life. One for the record that is far more important than arguing with internet trolls who would rather insult people than have an actual conversation.

Now back to your point. Forbes did not out rebound their starting guards. Murray tied him with 3. And for the record he is an average 2 rebounds a game player while DJ is about 5.7. Now if all you want is offense then you're right and I concede to stick with Forbes. But you don't need a team with 5 offensive stars. The warriors have Draymond. They could probably exchange him for a stretch 4 and by your logic they would be better. But what would be the point if what he's making in points he's also giving up on the other end? DJ can shut people down (as evidenced by his 2nd team all defensive standing in his first full year with the team). Who cares if he's not putting up 10-15 if he's holding his opponents down. Let White, LA, Gay and DDR shoot. Let Forbes come off the bench where he belongs. Good role player but simply not a starting caliber player like DJ.

ceperez
04-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Actually I don't pour over stat sheets or play video games. I have a life. One for the record that is far more important than arguing with internet trolls who would rather insult people than have an actual conversation.

Now back to your point. Forbes did not out rebound their starting guards. Murray tied him with 3. And for the record he is an average 2 rebounds a game player while DJ is about 5.7. Now if all you want is offense then you're right and I concede to stick with Forbes. But you don't need a team with 5 offensive stars. The warriors have Draymond. They could probably exchange him for a stretch 4 and by your logic they would be better. But what would be the point if what he's making in points he's also giving up on the other end? DJ can shut people down (as evidenced by his 2nd team all defensive standing in his first full year with the team). Who cares if he's not putting up 10-15 if he's holding his opponents down. Let White, LA, Gay and DDR shoot. Let Forbes come off the bench where he belongs. Good role player but simply not a starting caliber player like DJ.

In today's NBA, there's value in having a player that can shut down quick guards.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 02:01 PM
OTOH if Malone had done that Murray he would have probably not won the series.

In all the post-game pressers Malone stressed how he wanted to concentrate on building up his young guys' confidence and inspiring them to be tougher and work harder. The turnaround in Denver's team D from last year is a good indication of that approach's effect on his team. Pop's approach with young guys is just about the polar opposite. He has to deconstruct young guys in order to rebuild them in his mold. It's the military way.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 02:06 PM

I fear a lineup of DWhite/Dijon/Dumbmar/Rudy/LMA has almost no ability to stretch the floor. Offense would be difficult at best.

Trueblood
04-28-2019, 02:17 PM
I fear a lineup of DWhite/Dijon/Dumbmar/Rudy/LMA has almost no ability to stretch the floor. Offense would be difficult at best.

I don't disagree actually 😬

I'm hoping maybe an off-season with Chip will help one of them work on a corner 3.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 02:26 PM
I don't disagree actually ��

I'm hoping maybe an off-season with Chip will help one of them work on a corner 3.

White has shown flashes. Heck he ripped it up in the G-league. And I would like to believe the rumors about Dijon's off-season progress as a shooter. All we can do is hope.

MultiTroll
04-28-2019, 02:34 PM
00:52.2 SAS 86-88 ... should have called timeout and replaced Mills for White. TO DEFEND!

Then call a timeout if and when Denver scores or misses!!
This.
Murray and Joker ran the simplest of pick n roll plays. Wombat got rubbed out and LMA was 10 feet back and was as slow as Pao Gasol to lamely lean forward and do the handwave as Murry pulled up for the midrange vs driving.
FFS it was a simple switch play.
These two have been on the roster for 3 years together yet can't work out a simple switch with the farking series on the line.

John B
04-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Whatever happen to defense first? The reason Wombat was in was White went 0-7, but once they got to 2, he should’ve put him back and coach each play. I really hope PATFO goes back to playing hardcore defense and not try to outscore the opponents inserting Mills/Beli. I get it, Nuggets doubling on Aldridge but did Mills/Beli make any of them pay? NO! Why keep them playing?

BackHome
04-28-2019, 02:57 PM
Just because u know what they are going to run does not mean you can stop it.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 03:09 PM
Just because u know what they are going to run does not mean you can stop it.

True, and certainly not with your worst defender on the floor.

John B
04-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Everybody 6’ 4” and taller should be knocking 3’s this summer 1000 times a day. No reason we have combination of Mills/Forbes or Beli ever.

wildbill2u
04-28-2019, 03:42 PM
I was hoping someone would have information on an injury to White. He didn't tear the game up in the first half, but he has been starting and it was earned. He should have been in the game over Bellinelli.Pop knows his players and their personalities better than anyone on ST, and I didn't see any deep resolve or self-anger on White's face on the sideline. That being said, for the best shot at a win, I think Pop should have challenged him and sent him back to make or break. It would have been best for White's future with the team.

I just read over the above and found I could argue against myself. It's hard to make an argument that White would have made a bigger difference that the team on the court in the fourth that almost caught up with Denver for an unlikely win. Chemistry was there and they were playing hard. So Pop took the risk that White's psyche wouldn't be permanently hurt when we might have a chance to win a tough game.

I hope White doesn't have an uncle.

John B
04-28-2019, 04:11 PM
I was hoping someone would have information on an injury to White. He didn't tear the game up in the first half, but he has been starting and it was earned. He should have been in the game over Bellinelli.Pop knows his players and their personalities better than anyone on ST, and I didn't see any deep resolve or self-anger on White's face on the sideline. That being said, for the best shot at a win, I think Pop should have challenged him and sent him back to make or break. It would have been best for White's future with the team.

I just read over the above and found I could argue against myself. It's hard to make an argument that White would have made a bigger difference that the team on the court in the fourth that almost caught up with Denver for an unlikely win. Chemistry was there and they were playing hard. So Pop took the risk that White's psyche wouldn't be permanently hurt when we might have a chance to win a tough game.

I hope White doesn't have an uncle.
What chemistry? Beli and Mills didn’t make any shot to punish double team on LaMarsha. That pnr by Murray was on Aldridge not closing in enough on a switch. But there was the dunk by Barton that was Beli not checking his man. Spurs should had their best defenders out there. Instead Pop opted for 2014 magic from Mills and Beli that never happened.

Hopefully White sees this as chip on his shoulder to improve even more. He needs to be out there to close. He’s a fighter and never gave up, why where he’s now. But last night was just wrong coaching to me imo. Pop was looking ahead beyond the series. Twice I saw White heading to the scorers table, and I don’t know why he didn’t go in

DavidTheGoliath
04-28-2019, 04:23 PM
I will disagree with this. Pop should have set the expectation to not do this before the game. Then sat the players who were not aggressive.

Maybe thatll work for guys like danny green. But not on DePression. Dude wouldve imploded on that bench.

Chomag
04-28-2019, 04:52 PM
White was the only reason Spurs made it into the playoffs and he was the reason Spurs took Denver to game 7 and what did Pop do to thank him? Benched his ass for his cute pet. Pretty dick move tbh

Hopefully DW doesn't have an Uncle to recruit

Slippy
04-28-2019, 05:32 PM
What happened yesterday that set the tone. Spurs had zero spacing on offense. They cleared sagged of white and didn't respect Ddr. Result was a crowded keyway, a lot of tough missed jumpshots and denver running the way with easier transition offense. No time for spurs to set their team d. It was a terrible start. That pretty much how all season has gone. Now insert DJ into that starting lineup. That will be 3 guys from 1to 3 with suspect shooting ability. Where is the spacing and points going to come from. There will be zero point in having an inside prsense in LA and teams will simply outscore the spurs running the other way.

sasaint
04-28-2019, 06:24 PM
What happened yesterday that set the tone. Spurs had zero spacing on offense. They cleared sagged of white and didn't respect Ddr. Result was a crowded keyway, a lot of tough missed jumpshots and denver running the way with easier transition offense. No time for spurs to set their team d. It was a terrible start. That pretty much how all season has gone. Now insert DJ into that starting lineup. That will be 3 guys from 1to 3 with suspect shooting ability. Where is the spacing and points going to come from. There will be zero point in having an inside prsense in LA and teams will simply outscore the spurs running the other way.

It is surprising that a lot of ST posters don't grasp that. Lots of folks looking at PPG, RPG, APG like they were the only stats that matter. It's like they never watch games and just read box scores.

therealtruth
04-28-2019, 07:53 PM

Last I remember was game 2 in 2015 1st round vs Clippers.

SpursforSix
04-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Last I remember was game 2 in 2015 1st round vs Clippers.

I remember him going off on Houston at a critical point. I think that was in 2017.

Kobe'sAchilles
04-28-2019, 08:14 PM
I remember him going off on Houston at a critical point. I think that was in 2017.
He hit a clutch 3 in one of the games to help seal it but I don't think he took over the game at any point

therealtruth
04-28-2019, 08:15 PM
True, and certainly not with your worst defender on the floor.

PATFO created the roster. They should have known better. Get good defensive wings that can hit 3's and ideally playmake. That's the way the game's going. They need to stop with the non-athletic players that are there just to space the floor.

SpursforSix
04-28-2019, 08:48 PM
He hit a clutch 3 in one of the games to help seal it but I don't think he took over the game at any point

Idk. Maybe I’m wrong but I could swear he took over a game. I remember calling him the Honey Badger. I’ll have to check the stats tomorrow.

SouthTexasRancher
04-28-2019, 10:33 PM
Welcome Derrick White to Pop's Hell Hole Dog House. He just told you that the starting position next season is no longer yours. You have to understand that our senile coach with Alzheimer's and Dementia likes to play silly, childish games. Be gentle with him because he is 70 going on 103 years of age. Oh and fwiw, he has never gotten over himself.

r0drig0lac
04-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Pop's brand of tough love either makes you a killer or destroys you. White's exiling/benching will either make him a vital part of the Spurs foundation but could just as easily have started the timeclock to him leaving. "Screw this benching me in favor of Patty, I can't wait til I Kingslayer this team." The modern athlete isn't made for Pop's brand of tough love. I am sure Lonnie secretly wishes he would have been drafted somewhere else, and KNOWS he would have gotten more run on ANY other team. Spurs development might have a great track record but that doesn't mean the young players like it.

agree

duncan2k5
04-29-2019, 03:55 PM
It is surprising that a lot of ST posters don't grasp that. Lots of folks looking at PPG, RPG, APG like they were the only stats that matter. It's like they never watch games and just read box scores.

Solution... Trade DDR... Murray at his age and capabilities (plus confidence) is more important to our future than DDR who is in his 30s and is a historic failure... Trade DDR for someone who can shoot... Murray is even a better and more willing three point shooter than DDR at this point

sasaint
04-30-2019, 04:55 PM
Solution... Trade DDR... Murray at his age and capabilities (plus confidence) is more important to our future than DDR who is in his 30s and is a historic failure... Trade DDR for someone who can shoot... Murray is even a better and more willing three point shooter than DDR at this point

I am with you.

tholdren
04-30-2019, 04:57 PM
White got worked by jamal murray.... pathetic

GreekSpursfan
04-30-2019, 05:02 PM
We expected things from White, we didn't have high expectations from Mills(i know his contract, lets not keep beating this dead horse) and White laid an egg in the most important game of the season, of course you're going to bench his ass to send a message that this is unacceptable going forward. We weren't going to win anything this year anyway.