PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs @ Nuggets - Game 7, 2019 NBA Playoffs (Apr. 27)

timvp
04-28-2019, 12:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/N0gcILR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IVjEiVC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wNnZNjt.jpg

Season over. After scoring only 34 points on 22% shooting in an anemic first half, the Spurs trailed by as many as 17 points in the third quarter. But the good guys didn't quit, as they trimmed the deficit to 11 points going into the fourth quarter.

In the deciding period, San Antonio kept chipping away; their defense tightened and their offense was able to generate better shots. Eventually, the Spurs cut Denver's lead down to two points on a Bryn Forbes dunk with 52.2 left in regulation. Unfortunately, Jamal Murray answered with a floater, the Spurs came up empty on the next possession ... and then the Spurs inexplicably let time expire.

Strange end to a strange season, I guess. Congrats to the Nuggets on a well-played series.

While the Spurs definitely let opportunities slip through their fingers in the this first round matchup, it's still impressive how they bounced back from the Game 5 demolition to grab Game 6 and then almost escape with an epic comeback in Game 7. A lot of coulda, woulda, shouldas tonight but, big picture, they put up a better fight than any other underdog team in the first round and were thisclose to taking out the second seed in the Western Conference.

LaMarcus Aldridge C
Loved the defensive effort by Aldridge. Played Jokic tough, especially in the fourth quarter. Timely help defense. On the other end, though, he wasn't playing with enough force. Too much settling led to an inefficient offensive performance.

DeMar DeRozan C
Tale of two halves: DeRozan was 1-for-10 in the first half and appeared to be overwhelmed by the moment. Thankfully, he turned it around in the second half with 15 points, five rebounds and four assists on 6-for-11 shooting. His defense was energetic throughout, however the Spurs needed him to play like he did in the second half for all four quarters.

Derrick White D
White just wasn't doing much of anything. Tepid defense. Shying away from ball-handling and playmaking on offense. Eventually, the Nuggets stopped rotating to him at all in the second half and he still couldn't make them pay. Pop -- controversially, I'm sure -- went elsewhere.

Bryn Forbes A-
Forbes showed up big time when the Spurs needed him most. In the second half, he led the way with 17 points on 6-for-7 shooting from the field, including 3-for-3 on three-pointers. It's safe to say he wasn't intimidated by the moment. Defensively, he was also pretty damn good, all things considered.

Jakob Poeltl C+
With the Spurs desperately needing offense, Poeltl spent most of his time on the bench. While he was on the court, his defense was only decent but his rebounding was stout.

Rudy Gay A
If not for Rudy Gay, I'm not sure if the Spurs score 60 points tonight. He carried the team for stretches, particularly in the first quarter when he scored nine straight points after S.A. only mustered four points in the game's first nine minutes. His aggressiveness against mismatches gave the team life. Defensively, he held up much better than he had all series long.

Patty Mills C
With White not providing much of anything, Mills got extra time ... and mostly followed suit. He gave better effort but was less effective on defense. On offense, he continued to be dry shooting-wise but he did chip in a few good passes. And the Nuggets at least rotated to him when he was off the ball.

Marco Belinelli F
I'm not sure how much worse Belinelli could have played if he tried. Terrible defense that the Nuggets specifically targeted. Did nothing positive on offense -- bad decisions, limited movement and shriveled when pressured. So much for a veteran stepping up and playing big in a big game.

Pop C-
Good: Eventually found a lineup that was cutting into Denver's lead. I agreed with playing DeRozan, Aldridge and Forbes heavy minutes. Going more with Gay and less with Poeltl also made sense given the circumstances. Bad: I don't know what the hell happened on that last defensive possessions. Spurs HAD TO foul down four with 28 second remaining but Pop wasn't motioning to foul (none of the assistant coaches were either). And then the Spurs get the rebound and nobody motions for timeout? What? Outside of that terrible bit of time management, Pop has to be docked for the lackluster attack coming out of the gates. That was just terrible offense in the first half -- something, anything should have been done. Debatable: Playing Mills over White. On one hand, White wasn't playing well and Mills theoretically has the knowhow and big game experience to help right the ship. And, scoreboard-wise, the Spurs did execute their comeback with Mills in the game. On the other hand, White is obviously the better player. It could have been a great learning experience and maybe the Nuggets are shut down even more in the fourth with White on the court. Then again, preserving White's confidence going into the offseason and not allowing him to fall completely on his face while in the spotlight was the right call. Tough to say.

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 12:39 AM
Pop gets a passing Grade?

:wow

spurraider21
04-28-2019, 12:41 AM
pop was kicking and screaming trying to get them to foul on denver's last possession, so i dont understand that criticism. and oh yeah, not calling a timeout when we got a rebound with 2 seconds left down 4. what a blunder

Play Boban
04-28-2019, 12:42 AM

:lmao

baseline bum
04-28-2019, 12:43 AM
Aldridge and Mills should get automatic F for quitting on the season.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-28-2019, 12:43 AM
Game was over before the foul debacle. It was aggravating to watch but :lol at anyone that thinks that is where we lost the game. There was like a 0.1% chance we couldve won from that position.

We lost on the floater and the subsequent miss down 4

baseline bum
04-28-2019, 12:44 AM
and oh yeah, not calling a timeout when we got a rebound with 2 seconds left down 4. what a blunder

:lol

Play Boban
04-28-2019, 12:45 AM

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 12:46 AM
Belli should get a lower grade than an F.

Something like Detention or something :lol

TheGreatYacht
Damn, Pop didn't coach a bad game all series....

polandprzem
pop was kicking and screaming trying to get them to foul on denver's last possession, so i dont understand that criticism. and oh yeah, not calling a timeout when we got a rebound with 2 seconds left down 4. what a blunder
+1

timvp
pop was kicking and screaming trying to get them to foul on denver's last possession, so i dont understand that criticism.
If Pop actually wanted the Spurs to foul, then it was his fault because he never signaled it. He gave the "pressure the ballhandler" signal, not the "intentional foul" signal. When he calls for an intentional foul, it's with one arm striking the other. He instead did the push up motion.

Maybe Pop was yelling to foul but I could see Aldridge's confusion, tbh.

and oh yeah, not calling a timeout when we got a rebound with 2 seconds left down 4. what a blunder

I mean, you're going to play for the rebound and you actually get the rebound ... might want to call timeout :lol

polandprzem
04-28-2019, 12:48 AM
All team came out flat ! Someone needs to tell Pop that even in playoffs some players do not have sense of urgency.

Game 7 and they fought for like 5 minutes of the game.

Pathetic basketball charisma

BillMc
04-28-2019, 12:49 AM
Thanks OP for the grades tonight and in the past.

Well, onto the draft discussions.

objective
04-28-2019, 12:49 AM
Mills not fouling kind of torpedoes the whole corporate knowledge and experience schtick that keeps him around. Derek White could have made that mistake as a second year player, at least he has an excuse. Aldridge is a vet too, but he doesn't quarterback like a point guard, Mills gets blame first from me

polandprzem
04-28-2019, 12:50 AM
If Pop actually wanted the Spurs to foul, then it was his fault because he never signaled it. He gave the "pressure the ballhandler" signal, not the "intentional foul" signal. When he calls for an intentional foul, it's with one arm striking the other. He instead did the push up motion.

I mean, you're going to play for the rebound and you actually get the rebound ... might want to call timeout :lol

So forbes made a mistake cause he was shouting and signaling to foul :wink

DMC
04-28-2019, 12:51 AM
The end of the game doesn't matter. That 1st quarter was a shit show. If the Spurs do anything at all, like take 5 guys from the audience and put them on the floor, they at least put some points on the board. It was embarrassing as fuck to see a team like SA have 2 points halfway through the 1st in a game 7 of the playoffs.

Then again, they basically overachieved. They should have lost by 40 as shitty as they started and they would have if Denver wasn't also a fraud.

baseline bum
04-28-2019, 12:51 AM

Why would he do that? At that point Denver's players could just stand at their bench after the timeout. Not even Manu could have pulled off the flop for the four point play with no opposing player within 35 feet.

Also they were playing for Cancun at that point.

DMC
04-28-2019, 12:53 AM

Pop probably wanted someone go for the steal and foul if necessary while doing so instead of just fouling.

Mugen
A really shit season all-around tbh. I'm sure it's "Spoiled Spur Fan" and all that....

But I probably would have been happier if they were a lottery team that tried hard and got better...

Instead, it was just a team full of idiots that blew every opportunity that was handed to them...favorable seeding, 2-1 lead, Denver shitting the bed in Game 7.....

I'm hoping against hope that tonight was Pop's final game and he retires from coaching and running the organization...

Sure, they'll be shittier in the regular season and might miss the playoffs but I'd rather that than being right about every single predictable dumbfuck thing he does in the playoffs....

Thanks for the memories and you had a really good run when being carried by greats like Timmy and Manu, but time to walk away old man....like you always say....it's just basketball.

polandprzem
Overall though I said it before the season that the Spurs will not be able to get into 2nd round after that trade.

DMC
04-28-2019, 12:54 AM
Overall though I said it before the season that the Spurs will not be able to get into 2nd round after that trade.

Even if they opened on fire and won tonight, they are who they are. They aren't built to beat the contenders.

BlackAndWhite
04-28-2019, 12:55 AM
I hope belli gets traded over the summer. He's literally unplayable in the playoffs

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-28-2019, 12:55 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Mugen
04-28-2019, 12:56 AM
Mills not fouling kind of torpedoes the whole corporate knowledge and experience schtick that keeps him around. Derek White could have made that mistake as a second year player, at least he has an excuse. Aldridge is a vet too, but he doesn't quarterback like a point guard, Mills gets blame first from me

Patty is infallible in the eyes of the suckers, and sadly the FO. He'll be right back at it next season, playing 20+ minutes and collecting that fat paycheck and organize a coffee date so the idiots can say wow....he's irreplaceable with that corporate knowledge. Only until the old fuck decides to retire, can this organization finally be rid of that trash.

timvp
04-28-2019, 12:56 AM

I take it back, Forbes did do the intentional foul hand signal. Pop didn't, which could have caused some confusion.

But, really, how does Mills not know to foul there? He can see time and score. Ah well, same issue plagued Mills all season. His first year with actual point guard responsibilities and it's revealed he never really learned clock management :shootme

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-28-2019, 12:57 AM
Damn, Pop didn't coach a bad game all series....

:lmao turned an easy sweep into a 7 game series loss

polandprzem
04-28-2019, 12:58 AM

polandprzem
04-28-2019, 01:00 AM

I take it back, Forbes did do the intentional foul hand signal. Pop didn't, which could have caused some confusion.

But, really, how does Mills not know to foul there? He can see time and score. Ah well, same issue plagued Mills all season. His first year with actual point guard responsibilities and it's revealed he never really learned clock management :shootme

:fro

ShutUp SayItAgain!
04-28-2019, 01:00 AM
A really shit season all-around tbh. I'm sure it's "Spoiled Spur Fan" and all that....

But I probably would have been happier if they were a lottery team that tried hard and got better...

Instead, it was just a team full of idiots that blew every opportunity that was handed to them...favorable seeding, 2-1 lead, Denver shitting the bed in Game 7.....

I'm hoping against hope that tonight was Pop's final game and he retires from coaching and running the organization...

Sure, they'll be shittier in the regular season and might miss the playoffs but I'd rather that than being right about every single predictable dumbfuck thing he does in the playoffs....

Thanks for the memories and you had a really good run when being carried by greats like Timmy and Manu, but time to walk away old man....like you always say....it's just basketball.

DPG21920
04-28-2019, 01:01 AM
This team has way too low of a floor. Too often ok with being embarrassed and going down large double digits. Most of the time they struggle to punch back in game. They bounce back next game, but not too often in game.

Beyond that, the level of focus and effort is by far the lowest of any West playoff team. Is that coaching? Poor player leadership?

DPG21920
04-28-2019, 01:02 AM

Do you think pop should trade Mills and/or that he would?

timvp
04-28-2019, 01:03 AM

Probably. No.

DPG21920
04-28-2019, 01:06 AM
Probably. No.

If it’s the latter is that not reason enough to say pop has jumped the shark at this point?

Mugen
04-28-2019, 01:10 AM

Patty literally played the last 20 minutes of a do or die Game 7....

This is after shooting 32% from the field (14% from 3) and getting absolutely roasted on defense everytime he was out there....FOR THE SERIES

What other proof do Pop Suckers need to see that Pop would rather die with Mills than give his ONLY decent perimeter defender a chance to bounce back after a poor start....

32%, 14%, worst defender in the series.....and he played the last 20 minutes of a Game 7.

Patty isn't going anywhere and I feel bad for anybody that thinks otherwise.

timvp
If it’s the latter is that not reason enough to say pop has jumped the shark at this point?

Nah. Pop values Mills corporate knowledge and team chemistry building or whatever. It's easy for us outside fans to scoff at that but I'm guessing Mills does bring some intangible value. It's just impossible that it's anywhere near $50 million.

timvp

Nah. Pop values Mills corporate knowledge and team chemistry building or whatever. It's easy for us outside fans to scoff at that but I'm guessing Mills does bring some intangible value. It's just impossible that it's anywhere near $50 million.

DPG21920
04-28-2019, 01:14 AM

Doesn’t make sense though. Something is only valuable if it actually helps. If you don’t have to tell a player to foul. If it inspires others to focus and play hard consistently.

If pop can’t see Mills hurts the team how is that not a sign things are passing him by?

peacemaker885
04-28-2019, 01:15 AM

Didn't matter because LMA wasn't looking, or didn't want to look at Pop.

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2019, 01:17 AM
Patty literally played the last 20 minutes of a do or die Game 7....

This is after shooting 32% from the field (14% from 3) and getting absolutely roasted on defense everytime he was out there....FOR THE SERIES

Nitpick: according to ESPN, he shot 11.8 from 3

DAF86
04-28-2019, 01:17 AM
"corporate knowledge" -> doesn't even know to intentionally foul with the season on the line :lol

timvp
04-28-2019, 01:21 AM
If pop can’t see Mills hurts the team how is that not a sign things are passing him by?

In the grand scheme of coaching and building toward a successful team, being satisfied with an overpaid backup point guard is just a blip on the radar, tbh.

I mean, there'd probably be more damage done if Pop ordered the Spurs to trade Mills and Buford was forced to give up assets in order to comply with the request.

Mugen
04-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Overall, good learning series for Derrick (The only player worth a damn on the roster going forward tbh)....

He definitely got neutered as soon as Denver adjusted to him (but was still much better than every other wing the Spurs had outside of Derozan)....

Played very bad the first 3 quarters, would have been interesting to see how he would have responded to that.....

But he never even got a chance. Because his HOF coach said fuck you to him and the team, I'm going down with a vastly inferior player because he's my guy....

Hope Derrick learns from it and gets better. But I don't blame him one bit if he says fuck that and wants out....he's gotten over himself and sacrificed...too bad that old fuck hasn't practiced what he preaches.

DMC
04-28-2019, 01:23 AM
Doesn’t make sense though. Something is only valuable if it actually helps. If you don’t have to tell a player to foul. If it inspires others to focus and play hard consistently.

Bonner played for years.

Hoops Czar
04-28-2019, 01:23 AM

Like the players need to be told to foul. This is just cringe worthy.

Mugen
04-28-2019, 01:24 AM
"corporate knowledge" -> doesn't even know to intentionally foul with the season on the line :lol

#CoffeeGang, #FlannelGang :lmao

Mugen
04-28-2019, 01:25 AM
Like the players need to be told to foul. This is just cringe worthy.

OP even gave Pop an excuse earlier about not calling for a foul :lol

DPG21920
04-28-2019, 01:28 AM
In the grand scheme of coaching and building toward a successful team, being satisfied with an overpaid backup point guard is just a blip on the radar, tbh.

I mean, there'd probably be more damage done if Pop ordered the Spurs to trade Mills and Buford was forced to give up assets in order to comply with the request.

Difference is this isn’t some guy overpaid on the bench. He’s closing game 7s. A sign of not coaching well and fundamental flaws in what wins and what doesn’t.

Jay.From.NbTx
04-28-2019, 01:32 AM
Thanks for coming back to SA Belli but so long once again

KimmyGib
04-28-2019, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the grades. They showed some guts in that last quarter. Malone looked like he was going to shit himself at one point as Spurs nearly completed the comeback. Unbelievable mental collapse in the end. Still, the result isn't too bad, all things considered. And if I never have to cheer for a team with Belinelli in the playoffs again in my life, I'll consider it a win.

To another season in the books :bobo

tbdog
04-28-2019, 01:36 AM
Difference is this isn’t some guy overpaid on the bench. He’s closing game 7s. A sign of not coaching well and fundamental flaws in what wins and what doesn’t.

Mills had to play. White just wasn't getting it done from both ends. Nuggets were just sagging off him. It was the right move to put Mills in. I felt Mills got a little unlucky on defense and got called for some fouls that should not have been.

DPG21920
04-28-2019, 01:39 AM
Mills had to play. White just wasn't getting it done from both ends. Nuggets were just sagging off him. It was the right move to put Mills in. I felt Mills got a little unlucky on defense and got called for some fouls that should not have been.

He most certainly did not have to play. In the moment I understand; but it’s an overarching point

tbdog
04-28-2019, 01:43 AM
He most certainly did not have to play. In the moment I understand; but it’s an overarching point

You couldn't play White there. He was not being guarded. He was not taking open shots. He was missing the few he took. He was not getting to the rim. The Spurs needed more space.

BackHome
04-28-2019, 01:44 AM
LMA has a good season we not getting another David or Timmy in your life time so get over it.

Truth4sale$
04-28-2019, 01:58 AM
Thanks Timvp
So Sad to see how Derrick White went from hero to zero after game 3. Hopefully he learns from that experience.
The last 30 seconds shows no leadership from the veterans just guys concerned with their own stats. DeRozan wants to be a star like jordan but the jordan move is penetrate and kick to the open teammate. Maybe if he does on the last offensive play he sees a open Patty Mills in the corner for 3.
As for the lack of fouling, the Spurs were not attempting to go for the steal or anything. Only Forbes is calling for a foul. But he doesn't do it either. No leadership. Whats the point of Patty. If he is the new soul of the Spurs, no wonder the Spurs are now dead.

FkLA
04-28-2019, 02:01 AM
You couldn't play White there. He was not being guarded. He was not taking open shots. He was missing the few he took. He was not getting to the rim. The Spurs needed more space.

You realize Patrick "Wombat" Mills played the last 21 minutes of the game and had 1 FGA and 0 FGs made in that stretch, right?

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 02:03 AM

I think once the decision to completely take Bertans out of the roation was made, there was no longer any alternative once Denver started to sag off White.

If Bertans was still part of the rotation, They could have had Gay play the SF position, move Forbes at SG and have Derozan handle the ball.

this was certainly an option i would have liked to see since subbing White who was atrocious for mills for another atrocious players wasnt going to amount much to anything.

But that really the only alternative..

Belli was the worst player out there so it was evident they werent going to take out White and Play Belli over him when Mills is on the bench.

Darius Bieber
04-28-2019, 02:05 AM
In case y’all wanted to meet this trash team at the airport and boo them, here is the tracking details for their flight back home:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8941/history/20190428/0609Z/KDEN/KSAT

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 02:06 AM
In case y’all wanted to meet this trash team at the airport and boo them, here is the tracking details for their flight back home:

You creep :lol

Its just basketball scrah. let them enojoy their time with their families man.

YOu havent had lazy unproductive days in the office?

tbdog
04-28-2019, 02:07 AM
You realize Patrick "Wombat" Mills played the last 21 minutes of the game and had 1 FGA and 0 FGs made in that stretch, right?

Did you notice that DD was having far more space during that time? Perhaps because Mils was covered. And that one shot he took he was hacked on the corner 3. Did you also note that Mills had more assist and no TO, and gave LMA 2 easy dunks on the pick?

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2019, 02:07 AM

dammit it must be so nice to lose at your job, but still get to go home and sleep in your million dollar house, on a comfortable ass bed.

Nathan89
04-28-2019, 02:13 AM
Game was over before the foul debacle. It was aggravating to watch but :lol at anyone that thinks that is where we lost the game. There was like a 0.1% chance we couldve won from that position.

The odds are obviously low in that situation but we reduced the odds to zero percent.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 02:15 AM
Thanks for service above and beyond, timvp. This could not have been a happy one to try to grade.

Game was lost in the first quarter.

dbreiden83080

Aldridge and the way people treat him in San Antonio, just goes to show you how spoiled the franchise Fanbase is. You guys are too used to having Tim Duncan and David Robinson around. Because he is a really good player that has played very very well in San Antonio. He is what he is. He’s not some great player going to lead you to championships. But as is he is a borderline Hall of Famer. His numbers are always very very steady.

FkLA
Did you notice that DD was having far more space during that time? Perhaps because Mils was covered. And that one shot he took he was hacked on the corner 3. Did you also note that Mills had more assist and no TO, and gave LMA 2 easy dunks on the pick?

Ah gtfo. Wombat didn't do anything that was even remotely game changing. Nothing that would justify him playing the last 21 minutes of the game. He was awful, just like he was all series.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 02:17 AM
With so many Spurs struggling, why didn't Bertans get a shake?

Pop doesn't get a pass.

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 02:19 AM

Pretty cool how they show the flight, actually. Looks like they'll be over Lubbock in about eight or nine minutes maybe.

But are all of them on that plane? Some may have skipped the middle man and booked flights to Cancun, tbh.

FkLA
04-28-2019, 02:23 AM

It's time for Pop to transition to a Pat Riley role. We'll probably just turn into another shitty, small-market team if he were to leave entirely so it's important that he's still around. Just not as coach.

tbdog
04-28-2019, 02:23 AM
Ah gtfo. Wombat didn't do anything that was even remotely game changing. Nothing that would justify him playing the last 21 minutes of the game. He was awful, just like he was all series.

Issue is you only see miss shots and think the guy is awful. When the reality is that White didn't hit a shot all game and Nuggets were letting him shoot it. LMA and DD had no room. Spurs unable to score off the double was more on White.

Nathan89
04-28-2019, 02:24 AM
At least all our trade acquisitions performed and we get that 29th draft pick for next season. Toronto got swindled.

timvp
04-28-2019, 02:26 AM
When the reality is that White didn't hit a shot all game and Nuggets were letting him shoot it. LMA and DD had no room. Spurs unable to score off the double was more on White.

This is true. Nuggets stopped defending White. Mills at least was still being guarded out to the three-point line.

That said, it's certainly debatable whether White should have been given more of a chance or whether the Spurs got as close as they did due to Pop pulling the cord early.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 02:28 AM
Aldridge and the way people treat him in San Antonio, just goes to show you how spoiled the franchise Fanbase is. You guys are too used to having Tim Duncan and David Robinson around. Because he is a really good player that has played very very well in San Antonio. He is what he is. He’s not some great player going to lead you to championships. But as is he is a borderline Hall of Famer. His numbers are always very very steady.

You are right. A lot of spurstalkers get carried away with parroting brain-dead cliches like "touches." They think they've said something significant when all they've really said is that they're a parrot.

LMA is an excellent player when he's part of a good team. But the Spurs roster this season looked like it was cobbled together by somebody who was not quite right. To be kind about it.

The Spurs are family. Ok, but, the roster looks like the Addams family. Like something a caricaturist would draw.

Wonder what sort of cartoon we'll see next season.

monty4329
04-28-2019, 02:31 AM
Denver was giving away the game the last 5 minutes. Of course wehn you are down 17 it is hard to win (unless of course you are up 19 in that case it is very easy to lose).

Again, the problem was the offense. It is called basketball, if you are not able to make even basic layups to the basket, you fucking lose.ught
Defense was very good, well fought, and the comeback was all defense in fact.
Is there still someone out there who thiks the problem is the defense?

Jokic was on fumes and foul trouble, and we kept going with DDR on the switch after the pick and roll instead of getting to him for the 6th foul. Pathetic.

It fits that the last 50 seconds were a confused no show: perfect summary of the series.

Anyway the game was lost after the first pathetic quarter.

Mills was fighting at least, and after all he was on the court for the comeback, as White totally choked. Forbes the only bright spot, maybe together with LMA defense which was excellent.

therealtruth
04-28-2019, 02:32 AM

Wasn't just a miss. DDR's shot was blocked. They've got athletic wings that make defensive plays like that unlike the Spurs.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-28-2019, 02:37 AM
The end of the game doesn't matter. That 1st quarter was a shit show. If the Spurs do anything at all, like take 5 guys from the audience and put them on the floor, they at least put some points on the board. It was embarrassing as fuck to see a team like SA have 2 points halfway through the 1st in a game 7 of the playoffs.

Then again, they basically overachieved. They should have lost by 40 as shitty as they started and they would have if Denver wasn't also a fraud.

Daaaamn. Truth

Spurtacular
04-28-2019, 02:50 AM

Doubt this is their flight. Why would the Spurs be on Delta? Don't all teams fly private at this point?

FkLA
04-28-2019, 02:55 AM
This is true. Nuggets stopped defending White. Mills at least was still being guarded out to the three-point line.

That said, it's certainly debatable whether White should have been given more of a chance or whether the Spurs got as close as they did due to Pop pulling the cord early.

Hyperbole, imo. You'd think they were guarding him like he was Ben Simmons by the sounds of it.

I just rewatched the 3:15 White played in the second half. There was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with how Denver was guarding him. They were helping off of him to double LMA but it's not like they weren't rotating to him once LMA kicked it out, and they were coming out to the 3 point line.

The play that appeared like they weren't guarding him was when he took that corner three in his second to last offensive possession before he was pulled. In reality, LMA was posting up in the left block, White was in the right corner, Murray went to double, LMA found White, and Jokic was running to make the rotation but Poeltl set a solid screen to get White the open look.

vavvi
04-28-2019, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the last grades of the season!

Everyone's debating the bizarre ending and Mills over White.

The truth is the game was lost in the first quarter and mostly because of shot selection and decision making by DDR. Before the game I was afraid that after his hot game 6 he would start game 7 by launching contested 2pt fadeaways one after another and he did exactly that. When your team basically has no 3pt shooting you can't afford getting in the hole.

Kudos to the team for fighting and making it close.
And kudos to Pop for the defensive plan which earns him a passing grade in my eyes.
A special respect to Bryn Forbes whom I criticized all season long and Rudy Gay. They showed up in the Game 7, that's big.

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 03:00 AM
Issue is you only see miss shots and think the guy is awful. When the reality is that White didn't hit a shot all game and Nuggets were letting him shoot it. LMA and DD had no room. Spurs unable to score off the double was more on White.

Mills was atrocious but it was mostly the right call since it opened up the roll for aldridge. But He still could have done a better Job. I mean the improvements happend only because White was a huge liability on Offense.

So yeah maybe not a bad call on Pop, but that doesnt take away from the fact that mills was still broderlinr atrocious. White was just so bad that anything was an improvement

vavvi
04-28-2019, 03:01 AM
Anyway the game was lost after the first pathetic quarter.

Mills was fighting at least, and after all he was on the court for the comeback

Exactly.
1. The game was lost in Q1 because of DDR decisions
2. Mills was fighting out there, and it's just crazy to blame him for this loss by any metric

monty4329
04-28-2019, 03:10 AM
Exactly.
1. The game was lost in Q1 because of DDR decisions
2. Mills was fighting out there, and it's just crazy to blame him for this loss by any metric

I think DDR was a cancer the whole season, but this game it was the whole plan that was clearly totally wrong. Or maybe the plan was having 5 players standing, a weak PnR without engaging the helper, and shoot a fadeaway.

On offense he didn't play any worse than the others. And I still hate him, I want him gone to Austin.

White was being eaten alive, and Mills lead the comeback. Haters here don't understand professional basketball, obviously (soem in fact want Hammond as HC :lmao)

FkLA
04-28-2019, 03:23 AM
and Mills lead the comeback.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgileThisAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

vavvi
04-28-2019, 03:24 AM
I think DDR was a cancer the whole season, but this game it was the whole plan that was clearly totally wrong. Or maybe the plan was having 5 players standing, a weak PnR without engaging the helper, and shoot a fadeaway.

On offense he didn't play any worse than the others. And I still hate him, I want him gone to Austin.

White was being eaten alive, and Mills lead the comeback. Haters here don't understand professional basketball, obviously (soem in fact want Hammond as HC :lmao)

Everybody was bad on offense in Q1 but the ball was in DDR’s hands and he settled for contested 2pt fadeaways instead of going to the basket early. I wouldn’t be so mad at him if he lost the ball at the rim 3 times in a row to start the game but he just settled for a losing shot. In the second half he changed that but it was too late

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2019, 04:43 AM
dammit it must be so nice to lose at your job, but still get to go home and sleep in your million dollar house, on a comfortable ass bed.

DeMar still needs prozac to deal with this tough lifestyle

monty4329
04-28-2019, 04:52 AM
Everybody was bad on offense in Q1 but the ball was in DDR’s hands and he settled for contested 2pt fadeaways instead of going to the basket early. I wouldn’t be so mad at him if he lost the ball at the rim 3 times in a row to start the game but he just settled for a losing shot. In the second half he changed that but it was too late

Sure thing.
Still, when there is no offensive scheme working, I can't blame him too much, he had to take bad shots. As everybody else. DEN defense was high over the FT line, helping and then collapsing in the paint. Corner 3s were always wide open.

Coaching staff to blame, everything else was just a consequence of a bad gameplan. 34 points in the first half, in 2019? Fire the whole staff.

quentin_compson
04-28-2019, 06:27 AM
Ugh, that was one of the ugliest games of basketball I have ever seen. I don't know if we should be mad at the Spurs for the atrocious basketball they played for most of the night or laud them for not quitting and actually mounting a comeback. Probably a little bit of both. Sometimes I really wonder what the fuck Pop is thinking, though. I know White was terrible but going with Mills who has been one of the worst players in the series on either team? And this blunder at the end was really, really embarrassing.
As for LMA, I feel that he was battling so hard defensively that he hadn't enough energy left on the offensive end and therefore was settling for bad jumpers too often.

polandprzem
04-28-2019, 07:18 AM

He was done tbh. Was not looking much explosive out there. His first such a long season and he paid for it.
Also it would be nice if he copied some of Chris paul moves.... And I do wonder which role he is gonna play next year.

baseline bum
04-28-2019, 07:19 AM

And he quit on the season when it wasn't over.

sananspursfan21
04-28-2019, 07:34 AM
I’m thinking Patty had a flight to Cabo in the morning and was ready to be done. Thanks for the grades! It’s hard to take any playoff loss but I take a little solace in the fact that our guy’s inconsistency would have reared its head against the next team anyway. This year’s rendition of the Spurs were just incapable of being consistent. Some games literally played like a championship contender and others like a candidate for Zion. We’re fortunate enough last night was so close because it was another showing of the team that got whooped by the Suns

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2019, 09:17 AM

100 % truth.

Folks on here don't wanna hear this though. White played bad tonight and eventhough White is the better player the fact of the matter is the team came back with Mills in the game. He helped spacing on offense, made good passes and fought hard to get over screens on defense. They blew it at the end of the game but the way things were going with White in shit was looking like it was gonna be a blow out.

I'm excited about how this team is gonna look next season and I truly think they will be much better barring injuries

jjktkk
04-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Thank you timvp for your grades and analysis all season. I'm proud of this team for not quitting in game 7. That said, this is a flawed roster. Going forward, I have a hard time seeing LA and DDR carrying this team deep in the playoffs.

Crazymaddopeyo
04-28-2019, 10:56 AM

God, the whining is unbearable.

tholdren
04-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Terrible grades. Gay was terrible enough on the defensive side of the ball and the ball handling and low iq 3s. Coaching was also a failure.v

GreekSpursfan
04-28-2019, 11:09 AM
Pop gets a B from me. When your best defender is a first year player and needs a change of pants every 10 seconds and he is your starting pg which means for those who forget what pg means, everything start from him offensively, of course the team will look like crap in the beginning of the game and the 1st quarter was basically the reason we lost this game.
For those who actually played bball and know the game from the inside, this was the best job in Pop's career and for the whole season i give him an A+ as a coach. As a POBO i give him a C because Uncle Dennis had something to do with that.

phxspurfan
04-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Didn’t watch the game had better things to do. C’est la vie, spurs were lucky to make it to a game 7 this season against any seed in the West, especially the 2. The team has been too inconsistent to be much of anything this year. Massive roster adjustments are needed to keep this team competitive. But what’s crazy is next year many teams will look very different.

ceperez
04-28-2019, 11:48 AM
Didn’t watch the game had better things to do. C’est la vie, spurs were lucky to make it to a game 7 this season against any seed in the West, especially the 2. The team has been too inconsistent to be much of anything this year. Massive roster adjustments are needed to keep this team competitive. But what’s crazy is next year many teams will look very different.

With the number of free agents out there, there's a ton of opportunities to remake many teams.

We can bitch about DeRozan, but Spurs had few options in trading away Leonard. Spurs at least got Poetl and a 1st round draft pick.

The team was poorly constructed in its lack of defensive stoppers. Those stoppers were Cunningham and Pondexter, two players past their prime.

John B
04-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Agree on some. But too generous on some. Pop should’ve gotten an F. He should’ve called time outs the first few minutes of the game when Spurs we’re settling and not playing aggressive. He should’ve put White back to defend for obvious reasons. Down 2, Aldridge should’ve switched on Murray and lockdown defense. Down 4, we could’ve fouled and played the odds, making Nuggets earn in freethrows. Pop looked like he pulled the white flag too early, looking pass the series. No urgency, no high expectations from the guys. Watching the Clips had more hunger, with less talent.

Aldridge settled offensively early and let Jokic bullyballed him in the 1st half. Pop should’ve drawn plays for him to catch on the move, catch deep and drive. Still I like his rebounding towards the end. But again, sorry to say, not an Alpha.

Demar fought in the 2nd half. I feel he just wasn’t successful in the first. Hopefully he works on his outside shooting in the summer, and also improve on defense. I think he really would like to prove himself that the trade was not lopsided. I’m still rooting for him. I think he is an alpha but limited skills, coz I see him fighting to the rim when shots were not falling, unlike Aldridge, limited skills especially in today’s basketball. Something to work on this summer.

Whatever Pop said to White after the 36 points game didn’t help. Coming in the series, the kid was full of confidence then something Pop said and he started going away from the moment and finally getting benched in the 4th. Wrong move imo. I feel White has the swagger, poise beyond his years but Pop coached him too much. I think Pop should’ve let him play, his way. The kid fought through everything before getting to this point. He’s a fighter and Pop didn’t let him to fight, over protective. I hope Pop doesn’t make him fight the starting position with DJ this summer. The kid earned the starting PG. Let DJ prove himself. Play them both, position-less basketball.

Gay was terrific. I called it. Nuggets had no answer for him. I really hope he comes back. I feel bad if he opted to ringchase. But Spurs would be much better next season.

Forbes was outstanding. He earned not getting moved next season over Beli and even Mills. The kid was not scared of the moment. He showed it in Michigan, he showed it last night. But starting position? I feel Spurs need to go back playing the defensive leader. But let’s see.

Poeltl has a very bright future with the Spurs. But they need to develop him before he goes seeking greener pastures. He has excellent rebounding, rim protection, soft touches around the rim. He could drive, pass. He needs some postup moves, and some polishing on 8 footers. The kid could be great. He has the basketball IQ, the motor and the fight.

Lonnie will be a significant player next season, over Mills, Beli. He has the explosiveness and body to defend. Spurs finally would not have defensive liability because of him and Murray. I look forward to seeing him playing more minutes significantly next season.

Bertans, DMo can stay. The rest, ship out or get traded if possible. Please don’t play loyalty card on Mills. But if ever, play him 3rd unit, no more than 12 minutes.

I hope this season left a bad welt on PATFO’s face that our boys got outplayed, rolled over by a much athletic team, and address this summer. No more short, no defense lineups. Defense still wins the game over 3 point shooters come playoffs especially. 2 1st round picks, or package to get that elusive athletic SF. Another big to stay with Jokic. I look forward to this summer.

It was a hell of a roller coaster this season, much different to what Spurs fans are normally accustomed to. I enjoyed it. I was hoping Spurs advanced more, especially against Portland without Kanter and Nucik. But never mind.

Thanks Timvp and all you bitches for the ride :lol

phxspurfan
04-28-2019, 11:54 AM
With the number of free agents out there, there's a ton of opportunities to remake many teams.

We can bitch about DeRozan, but Spurs had few options in trading away Leonard. Spurs at least got Poetl and a 1st round draft pick.

I called the Kawhi bullshit back when the 2017-2018 season began. It was clear he was basically holding out by January or so when the doctors medically cleared him yet he sat out more. But the smoke was there in the fall before that. Who trains the entire offseason and then mysteriously misses all of training camp and multiple months with “soreness”?

He was either damaged goods or a prima donna who wanted to sit out. Either way, that was when we could have gotten way more in a trade than DeMar. I still contend we could have gotten something like Lillard and McCollum back then if the Spurs had made some calls, before Kawhi turned the franchise into a laughing stock.

tholdren
04-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Agree on some. But too generous on some. Pop should’ve gotten an F. He should’ve called time outs the first few minutes of the game when Spurs we’re settling and not playing aggressive. He should’ve put White back to defend for obvious reasons. Down 2, Aldridge should’ve switched on Murray and lockdown defense. Down 4, we could’ve fouled and played the odds, making Nuggets earn in freethrows. Pop looked like he pulled the white flag too early, looking pass the series. No urgency, no high expectations from the guys. Watching the Clips had more hunger, with less talent.

Aldridge settled offensively early and let Jokic bullyballed him in the 1st half. Pop should’ve drawn plays for him to catch on the move, catch deep and drive. Still I like his rebounding towards the end. But again, sorry to say, not an Alpha.

Demar fought in the 2nd half. I feel he just wasn’t successful in the first. Hopefully he works on his outside shooting in the summer, and also improve on defense. I think he really would like to prove himself that the trade was not lopsided. I’m still rooting for him. I think he is an alpha but limited skills, coz I see him fighting to the rim when shots were not falling, unlike Aldridge, limited skills especially in today’s basketball. Something to work on this summer.

Whatever Pop said to White after the 36 points game didn’t help. Coming in the series, the kid was full of confidence then something Pop said and he started getting away from the moment and finally getting benched in the 4th. Wrong move imo. I feel White has the swagger, poise beyond his years but Pop coached him too much. I think Pop should’ve let him play, his way. The kid fought through everything before getting to this point. He’s a fighter and Pop didn’t let him to fight, over protective. I hope Pop doesn’t make him fight the starting position with DJ this summer. The kid earned the starting PG. Let DJ prove himself. Play them both, position-less basketball.

Gay was terrific. I called it. Nuggets had no answer for him. I really hope he comes back. I feel bad if he opted to ringchase. But Spurs would be much better next season.

Forbes was outstanding. He earned not getting moved next season over Beli and even Mills. The kid was not scared of the moment. He showed it in Michigan, he showed it last night. But starting position? I feel Spurs need to go back playing the defensive leader. But let’s see.

Poeltl has a very bright future with the Spurs. But they need to develop him before he goes seeking greener pastures. He has excellent rebounding, rim protection, soft touches around the rim. He could drive, pass. He needs some postup moves, and some polishing on 8 footers. The kid could be great. He has the bball, the motor and the fight.

Lonnie will be a significant player next season, over Mills, Beli. He has the explosiveness and body to defend. Spurs finally would not have defensive liability because of him and Murray. I look forward to seeing him playing more minutes significantly next season.

Bertans, DMo can stay. The rest, ship out or get traded if possible. Please don’t play loyalty card on Mills. But if ever, play him 3rd unit, no more than 12 minutes.

I hope this season left a bad welt on PATFO’s face that our boys got outplayed, rolled over by a much athletic team, and address this summer. No more short, no defense lineups. Defense still wins the game over 3 point shooters come playoffs especially. 2 1st round picks, or package to get that elusive athletic SF. Another big to stay with Jokic. I look forward to this summer.

It was a hell of a roller coaster this season, much different to what Spurs fans are normally accustomed to. I enjoyed it. I was hoping Spurs advanced more, especially against Portland without Kanter and Nucik. But never mind.

Thanks Timvp and all you bitches for the ride :lol

How was gay great? He finally did what he should have beem doing the whole series, points in paint, but he gives up as many if not more because he cant defend the post or perimeter then gives up about a billion second chance points.
Hes Pau Gasol reincarnate

John B
04-28-2019, 12:13 PM
How was gay great? He finally did what he should have beem doing the whole series, points in paint, but he gives up as many if not more because he cant defend the post or perimeter then gives up about a billion second chance points.
Hes Pau Gasol reincarnate
No man. Gay had 21 points playing off the bench. What else can you ask for? This lost was on Pop not pushing the right buttons, bad substitutions, not calling timeouts early, and at the last minutes. This lost was on Aldridge settling, not playing aggressive, not making Jokic play both sides of the court and maybe getting him fouled. But referees also tbh didn’t call some of those and let Jokic pushed, slap Forbes in the face, moving picks, moving his hips, holding on picks. Referees let Jokic did whatever he want, but Aldridge should’ve fought harder. Lost was on Mills, Beli not hitting anything, no defense yet playing heavy minutes, but again on Pop letting it happen.

tholdren
04-28-2019, 12:16 PM
No man. Gay had 21 points playing off the bench. What else can you ask for? This lost was on Pop not pushing the right buttons, bad substitutions, not calling timeouts early, and at the last minutes. This lost was on Aldridge settling, not playing aggressive, not making Jokic play both sides of the court and maybe getting him fouled. But referees also tbh didn’t call some of those and let Jokic pushed, slap Forbes in the face, moving picks, moving his hips, holding on picks. Referees let Jokic did whatever he want, but Aldridge should’ve fought harder. Lost was on Mills, Beli not hitting anything, no defense yet playing heavy minutes, but again on Pop letting it happen.

IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU SCORE 21 IF YOU GIVE UP 22.

STOP WATCHING BOX SCORE AND WATCH GAME

tholdren
04-28-2019, 12:17 PM
Rudy gays lone defensive play of the game was when he got burnt off the dribble, he came form behind and blocked, sadly the block didnt result in a to but a score for the nuggets... shocking that points scored still blinds judgment

John B
04-28-2019, 12:30 PM
Rudy gays lone defensive play of the game was when he got burnt off the dribble, he came form behind and blocked, sadly the block didnt result in a to but a score for the nuggets... shocking that points scored still blinds judgment
Dude it wasn’t Gay’s lack of defense that lost the game. He kept the Spurs afloat and within striking distance from the bench. The lack of defense was on Mills, Beli, Aldridge on Jokic. Two man play of Jokic/Murray (Gay wasn’t even in the vicinity). Gay played an excellent game FROM THE BENCH.

BackHome
04-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Yeah Rudy has a terrible series this last game he was still not good on defense and was better on offense but expected a lot more from him.

tholdren
04-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Dude it wasn’t Gay’s lack of defense that lost the game. He kept the Spurs afloat and within striking distance from the bench. The lack of defense was on Mills, Beli, Aldridge on Jokic. Two man play of Jokic/Murray (Gay wasn’t even in the vicinity). Gay played an excellent game FROM THE BENCH.

What is 21 minus 22?

monty4329
04-28-2019, 12:39 PM

The team was poorly constructed in its lack of defensive stoppers. Those stoppers were Cunningham and Pondexter, two players past their prime.

Yet the problem was always the offense, not defense.

monty4329
04-28-2019, 12:41 PM
IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU SCORE 21 IF YOU GIVE UP 22.

STOP WATCHING BOX SCORE AND WATCH GAME

So you think you can win a playoffs game scoring 86 points?

John B
04-28-2019, 12:46 PM
What is 21 minus 22?
The guy had 21 points, 8 rebounds, 2 offensive, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist from the bench. He wasn’t guarding Murray/Jokic pnr :lol:lol It was Mills/Aldridge. It was Beli on Barton’s dunk.

DMC
04-28-2019, 01:24 PM
It's time for Pop to transition to a Pat Riley role. We'll probably just turn into another shitty, small-market team if he were to leave entirely so it's important that he's still around. Just not as coach.

He's the best coach in the NBA by a mile. The problem you have with him is that he actually makes decisions instead of just being a shoulder for the star of the team to cry on.

John B
04-28-2019, 01:51 PM
He's the best coach in the NBA by a mile. The problem you have with him is that he actually makes decisions instead of just being a shoulder for the star of the team to cry on.
Normally I would have the same sentiment. But I feel he didn’t coach the best last night and was looking to the next season. He is still the best coach out there and I still want him until the wheels fall off.

Spurs oman
04-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Timvp

Thank you for the great write up and effort it has been another interesting season for me as a spurs fan ... and reading your grades have been part of my match day routine .. I have enjoyed them thanks again

DMC
04-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Normally I would have the same sentiment. But I feel he didn’t coach the best last night and was looking to the next season. He is still the best coach out there and I still want him until the wheels fall off.

Look at Mike D tonight. What adjustments did he make? He just stands on the sidelines and bitches. Look at Kerr. What adjustments does he make? He manages guys minutes and stands there looking wise while his uber talented squad dismantles the opponent. Both coaches are good coaches. Neither of them does a lot with little. Both can do good with a lot. Pop can do good with little, then people expect him to micromanage the little bit of talent he has to a championship.

John B
04-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Look at Mike D tonight. What adjustments did he make? He just stands on the sidelines and bitches. Look at Kerr. What adjustments does he make? He manages guys minutes and stands there looking wise while his uber talented squad dismantles the opponent. Both coaches are good coaches. Neither of them does a lot with little. Both can do good with a lot. Pop can do good with little, then people expect him to micromanage the little bit of talent he has to a championship.
Look at Clips. We have more talent, but they were mentally prepared. Putting Mills/Beli without moving the ball was bad. Did they get open? Attempted open shots? Nope. Worst they didn’t defend

Sunmaster14
04-29-2019, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the grades troughout the season!

Coach X
04-29-2019, 06:40 AM
So you think you can win a playoffs game scoring 86 points?
Denver won scoring 90 :rolleyes

It's a game7: Defenses always prevail to offenses.

Spurs were supossed to play tough defense as Nuggets did in the first quarter (like they did in the 4th). Instead, all first half long, Nuggets fested around Spurs' basket and as Pop said in the 1Q interview, they were lucky DEN only shot 1/9 from 3pt line in good shots or they game would have been lost there already.
Nugget's defense was very good, exploiting Poetl's presence on the court, collapsing inside leaving White open behind the 3pt line. Of course DeRozan and Aldridge helped shooting mid jays instead of attacking the rim as they did in the second half but have a look to the Nuggets paint when they got the ball and you will know why they preferred not to go there. Give credit to Nuggets defense.

IMO, Poetl was absolutely inneficcient defending Jokic, protecting the paint and the defensive rebound in games 6 and 7. I believe that costed us Game7. Aldridge finally showed some proud playing very good 1on1 defense vs Jokic in the second half, and over Millsap in the first. Why didn't he do that before? Removing Poetl from the court also helped Spurs to find ways to the rim. Should Aldridge have played that good defense on Jokic before (he is totally capable), Nuggets offense would have struggled and the series had been totally different. I can't totally blame LA when only Poetl's purpose was that.

Gay scored well in the last two games and not even so made up his playoff numbers (40%FG, 10p). Add to that his regularly bad defense. That's a clear negative net contribution for the series.

Another key for the series was the number of players doing well for their team. Mills, Marco not hitting threes barely can contribute. Poetl and White with their ups and downs. Bertans benched... Malone kept a 9 men rotation for the hole series, all of them contributing here and there.

White had a bad game 7 which is understandable for a defacto rookie. Finally, experience played against Spurs on White and Poetl. Murray won the match-up, scoring critical points for his team in the last quarter.

DeRozan and Aldridge were ok but Jokic was the better player in the series by far and usually the team with the best player wins. Numbers wise, both were fine but for the Spurs to win, they need to play better defense or have a superior impact in the offense (by scoring more or generating more for the team).

Spurs could have won the series playing better defense in the end of game 2 when they received 39 points in the 4th and lost a 19pt lead, potential 0-2 with the next 2 to be played at home. The team defense struggled all year long and, stats are there. Yesterday's Aldridge post defense on Jokic or Gay playing decent defense migth have given game 4 or game 5 to Spurs. Poetl wouldn't have been that necessary and DeRozan and White had found better penetration lines and generated more quality 3pt shooting.

Popovich didn't lost the series himself but Malone helped more his team to suceed IMO.

Anyways, Game 7 L was honorable so I'm fine with it. This Spurs team didn't have a much higher ceiling TBH.

duncan2k5
04-29-2019, 06:47 AM

Pop isn't the best coach in the NBA right now... Coaches, like players fall off as time goes on

ZeusWillJudge
04-29-2019, 08:33 AM

Damn, I didn't see that. I could see him yelling "foul". Never even noticed the signal. That turns everything upside down. Aldridge was doing what he was told. Pop really should fire himself.

Thanks for a season of grades. It always livens the place up, and we all know you put a lot of work into it.

Disappointing, but not surprising end to the season.

monty4329
04-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Denver won scoring 90 :rolleyes

It's a game7: Defenses always prevail to offenses.

Spurs were supossed to play tough defense as Nuggets did in the first quarter (like they did in the 4th). Instead, all first half long, Nuggets fested around Spurs' basket and as Pop said in the 1Q interview, they were lucky DEN only shot 1/9 from 3pt line in good shots or they game would have been lost there already.
Nugget's defense was very good, exploiting Poetl's presence on the court, collapsing inside leaving White open behind the 3pt line. Of course DeRozan and Aldridge helped shooting mid jays instead of attacking the rim as they did in the second half but have a look to the Nuggets paint when they got the ball and you will know why they preferred not to go there. Give credit to Nuggets defense.

IMO, Poetl was absolutely inneficcient defending Jokic, protecting the paint and the defensive rebound in games 6 and 7. I believe that costed us Game7. Aldridge finally showed some proud playing very good 1on1 defense vs Jokic in the second half, and over Millsap in the first. Why didn't he do that before? Removing Poetl from the court also helped Spurs to find ways to the rim. Should Aldridge have played that good defense on Jokic before (he is totally capable), Nuggets offense would have struggled and the series had been totally different. I can't totally blame LA when only Poetl's purpose was that.

Gay scored well in the last two games and not even so made up his playoff numbers (40%FG, 10p). Add to that his regularly bad defense. That's a clear negative net contribution for the series.

Another key for the series was the number of players doing well for their team. Mills, Marco not hitting threes barely can contribute. Poetl and White with their ups and downs. Bertans benched... Malone kept a 9 men rotation for the hole series, all of them contributing here and there.

White had a bad game 7 which is understandable for a defacto rookie. Finally, experience played against Spurs on White and Poetl. Murray won the match-up, scoring critical points for his team in the last quarter.

DeRozan and Aldridge were ok but Jokic was the better player in the series by far and usually the team with the best player wins. Numbers wise, both were fine but for the Spurs to win, they need to play better defense or have a superior impact in the offense (by scoring more or generating more for the team).

Spurs could have won the series playing better defense in the end of game 2 when they received 39 points in the 4th and lost a 19pt lead, potential 0-2 with the next 2 to be played at home. The team defense struggled all year long and, stats are there. Yesterday's Aldridge post defense on Jokic or Gay playing decent defense migth have given game 4 or game 5 to Spurs. Poetl wouldn't have been that necessary and DeRozan and White had found better penetration lines and generated more quality 3pt shooting.

Popovich didn't lost the series himself but Malone helped more his team to suceed IMO.

Anyways, Game 7 L was honorable so I'm fine with it. This Spurs team didn't have a much higher ceiling TBH.

I get you and I generally agree, but to a point.

- I think LMA in game-7 was fantastic on defense. Like, for real he was super. He fought like a beast the whole game. Besides pissing me off that he didn't do it the whole series, it also makes me wanting him in the tema (and at 22 mil he is a bargain).

- White was so bad for three games I can't blame Pop for not getting him in when the team was coming back into the game. He already exceeded by far any expectation, next season he will be even better..

- I still strongly believe you can't win only with a good defense. And the fact that DEN shot ridiculously bad but still won proves my point. Defense in the PO is essential, and game7 even more so, but still you got to make baskets. The most efficient shot is FT and then the 3. You got to make some 3s or you lose even against a team that have an awful night. Because in the end, they make one or two shots anyway (Murray killed us).

- Pop went into the game with an obviously flawed offensive gameplan. And not just a bit, but massively flawed.

- I maybe was still shocked we lost (I didn't think we would), so it took me one full day to realize this: the end of game blunder was enormous. That's something so bad to deserve the firing of at least Pop+Messina, but probably the whole bench staff.
There is no way on earth you don't have a plan for a situation like that, and you don't have the team ready. I love Pop and everything, but his history proves again and again he doesn't have the ability to prepare and execute end of games effective strategies (just this season only, how many games we lost because of subpar inbound schemes or pathetic last shot strategies?)

-Jokic is God. I am old enough to have seen Sabonis with some knees, and then destroying the Admiral when already didn't have knees. Jokic is almost as good as Sabonis was pre-NBA. Almost (nobody was as good, yet). If he does some real conditioning this summer, he might change the game more than Curry did.

heyheymymy
04-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Having timvp back and regularly posting grades and thoughts has made a weird season seem almost normal and has made it fun despite some bad vibes with Kawhi and having our carefully planned successor to Duncan bail on us.

Arcadian
04-29-2019, 03:32 PM
:lmao turned an easy sweep into a 7 game series loss

It was never going to be an "easy sweep." Let's break it down.

First of all, psychological reactance is an important factor. When a team loses a playoff game, they become more likely to win the next game, if nothing else due to the increased motivation and desperation not to be eliminated. You might call it a "rubber band effect." It happens within games, and it happens within series.

If the Spurs hang on to win game 2, the Nuggets are now the more desperate team, and they become more likely to win game 3.

Even if the Spurs win game 3, the Nuggets are now down 0-3 going into game 4. Nobody wants to get swept, so they'd show up for game 4 and protect their pride. (And, more importantly, the Nuggets actually won game 4 in reality.)

And there would be nothing "easy" about it regardless. These teams split the first 10 games against each other (regular season + playoffs), and it was a struggle throughout. So let's just throw that narrative in the garbage where it belongs.

TDomination
04-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Crazy how we played each other 11 times this year total.
Nuggets won 6 while Spurs won 5. Can't get much more even than that. And game 7 ends with a 4pt difference? Lets chalk it up as Homecourt won this one.

Lets get homecourt next year.

tholdren
04-29-2019, 06:22 PM
The guy had 21 points, 8 rebounds, 2 offensive, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist from the bench. He wasn’t guarding Murray/Jokic pnr :lol:lol It was Mills/Aldridge. It was Beli on Barton’s dunk.

He played more than 2 starters. Your post is the issue. Box score stats mean nothing. He had a good offensive game, bit he was still too dumb to figure out how to be good offensively FOR 6 PREVIOUS GAMES. Then he was too stupid during the game to start off attacking the basket. Then he was too stupid during the game to shoot ineffective 3s that actually cost spurs momentum.

Milsap made him look like a fool just like plumlee. Denver won because they out physicalled the spurs. Spurs had to counter jokic with aggression, on both sides of the ball. Spurs got beatdown because rudy was scared. He was awful

John B
04-29-2019, 06:49 PM
He played more than 2 starters. Your post is the issue. Box score stats mean nothing. He had a good offensive game, bit he was still too dumb to figure out how to be good offensively FOR 6 PREVIOUS GAMES. Then he was too stupid during the game to start off attacking the basket. Then he was too stupid during the game to shoot ineffective 3s that actually cost spurs momentum.

Milsap made him look like a fool just like plumlee. Denver won because they out physicalled the spurs. Spurs had to counter jokic with aggression, on both sides of the ball. Spurs got beatdown because rudy was scared. He was awful
Spurs scored 86 points. You can’t win with 86 points. Gay did his part with 21 points, more than Pop could expect from him. It’s Mills, Beli who didn’t pull their weight. It’s Aldridge too soft offensively. At least Demar went to the hole in the 4th but too little too late. Spurs couldn’t string points together. I would’ve tried Bertans. Maybe he could get hot. But Pop insisted on Mills/Beli who didn’t do shit. Nah, Gay played good in my books.

ZeusWillJudge
05-01-2019, 10:42 PM
I just noticed some things in the advanced stats from the playoffs. As close as the series turned out to be, this really stands out as reasons why the Spurs couldn't beat Denver.

Forbes, Belli, and Bertans all had a DRTG of 118. We all knew it, but the numbers make it clear.
Patty Mills had an ORTG of 98! The next lowest among rotation players was Bertans at 103, and Gay at 104.

It's worth noting that Poeltl had an ORTG of 143. If he could have stayed out of foul trouble...

Points per 36 minutes: White - 20. Forbes - 12.7. Mills - 8.8.

3P%: White - .294. Mills - .136.
FG%: White - .547. Mills - .326.
FGA/36: White - 14.1. Mills - 10.2.

Pop's decision to keep Mills on the floor instead of White? I don't give a damn if White was struggling. Patty sucked. His contract makes it worse, but even if he was on a min contract, he fucking sucks. You look at those numbers, and Pop deserves an F for the series.

RC_Drunkford
05-02-2019, 05:25 AM
I just noticed some things in the advanced stats from the playoffs. As close as the series turned out to be, this really stands out as reasons why the Spurs couldn't beat Denver.

Forbes, Belli, and Bertans all had a DRTG of 118. We all knew it, but the numbers make it clear.
Patty Mills had an ORTG of 98! The next lowest among rotation players was Bertans at 103, and Gay at 104.

It's worth noting that Poeltl had an ORTG of 143. If he could have stayed out of foul trouble...

Points per 36 minutes: White - 20. Forbes - 12.7. Mills - 8.8.

3P%: White - .294. Mills - .136.
FG%: White - .547. Mills - .326.
FGA/36: White - 14.1. Mills - 10.2.

Pop's decision to keep Mills on the floor instead of White? I don't give a damn if White was struggling. Patty sucked. His contract makes it worse, but even if he was on a min contract, he fucking sucks. You look at those numbers, and Pop deserves an F for the series.

what grade will he get next season when he does it again? At this point we all know Patty sucks and we all know Pop will keep playing him in crunch time, cause he loves his pet

SpursDynasty85
05-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Having timvp back and regularly posting grades and thoughts has made a weird season seem almost normal and has made it fun despite some bad vibes with Kawhi and having our carefully planned successor to Duncan bail on us.

good point. I think true Spurs fans came together when they saw the crumbling of their franchise with this Kawhi thing but rallied together to make this an enjoyable season to watch, more so than others in the past I feel, obviously not all of them. To see the grades and thoughts was a cherry on a cake of a transition year that we can look forward to seeing grow.

TKOK
05-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Are you going to do grades for the entire season?

(or if i missed it, where can i find them?)