PDA

View Full Version : Best story in a video game

aj3292
04-28-2019, 04:12 PM
What video game have you played which you think has the best story?

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Suikoden 2 hands down.

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Ps4 quality storytelling on PS1

baseline bum
04-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Fallout 2

redzero
04-28-2019, 07:39 PM
I really liked Bioshock Infinite, but there are probably potholes galore.

spurraider21
04-29-2019, 01:06 AM
i would say The Last of Us was movie worthy, but Red Dead Redemption 2 was novel worthy

also portal 2 is lowkey very good

FrostKing
04-29-2019, 01:22 AM
"No Russian" - MW2

aj3292
04-29-2019, 12:04 PM
I really liked Bioshock Infinite, but there are probably potholes galore.

It's my favorite, but I still haven't totally worked out all the details of what happened. I've looked at flow charts, but I am pretty sure I won't get it until I brush up on quantum mechanics.

baseline bum
04-29-2019, 01:30 PM
It's my favorite, but I still haven't totally worked out all the details of what happened. I've looked at flow charts, but I am pretty sure I won't get it until I brush up on quantum mechanics.

That many worlds interpretation is just metaphysics. Won't learn anything about it by studying quantum mechanics.

aj3292
04-30-2019, 01:00 PM
That many worlds interpretation is just metaphysics. Won't learn anything about it by studying quantum mechanics.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the concept of quantum superposition is essential to an understanding of the game's ending, even though a multiverse model rather than a universe model is an underlying assumption for the game. You can still have gravity in a multiverse, and you can still have quantum mechanics as well.

Chris
04-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Metal Gear Solid I-V
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Baldur's Gate II
The Last of Us
L.A. Noire
Hard Rain
Assassins Creed II/Revelations (basically the Ezio storyline)
Half-Life 2
Knights of the Old Republic
Fallout: New Vegas
Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
Dead Space I-III
Red Dead Redemption (haven't played the sequel YET)
Silent Hill (I got part 2 waiting in the wings on PS3; supposed to be superior in story and gameplay)

spurraider21
04-30-2019, 04:38 PM
Super Mario Bros

time time the princess was in another castle my mind was BLOWN

Reck
04-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Is OP a google bot? Makes a lot of googable type questions and asking for personal preference stuff.

Looks like he got a hit on Zero’s post and started ranting about quantum mechanics. :lol

Joseph Kony
04-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Is OP a google bot? Makes a lot of googable type questions and asking for personal preference stuff.

Looks like he got a hit on Zero’s post and started ranting about quantum mechanics. :lol

meh, at least he's starting conversation :lol

as for this topic, this is a super hard choice. i want to say Last of Us but there's many more compelling games storywise, but not as engrossing atmospherically like LoU. part of me wants to say FFXV because while the game had flaws gameplay wise i thought the story was amazing. i always really enjoyed the story of GTA V. FFIX was my favorite FF overall and definitely up there. Witcher 3 obviously has an awesome story as well. Nier Automata has a pretty great story and an amazing soundtrack to accompany it. not sure i can really pick one single game

spurraider21
04-30-2019, 09:28 PM

as for this topic, this is a super hard choice. i want to say Last of Us but there's many more compelling games storywise, but not as engrossing atmospherically like LoU. part of me wants to say FFXV because while the game had flaws gameplay wise i thought the story was amazing. i always really enjoyed the story of GTA V. FFIX was my favorite FF overall and definitely up there. Witcher 3 obviously has an awesome story as well. Nier Automata has a pretty great story and an amazing soundtrack to accompany it. not sure i can really pick one single game
GTA V was fun, the story was fun... but it doesnt belong on this list tbh

baseline bum
05-01-2019, 09:47 AM

The first Nier on 360/PS3 also has an incredible story; even better than NieR Automata IMO. Excellent soundtrack too. Though the fighting isn't anywhere near as good. Platinum really upgraded the combat on Automata.

aj3292
05-02-2019, 01:00 PM

The Last of Us is a great choice. That game grabs you from the first chapter. Story is pretty basic in a way, but characters are amazing, and it's just so well told.

DJR210
05-02-2019, 02:19 PM
OP is a ######

Xevious
05-04-2019, 09:48 AM
The Last of Us is a great choice. That game grabs you from the first chapter. Story is pretty basic in a way, but characters are amazing, and it's just so well told.
That's really the difference for me. Same with RDR2. The storyline itself is not anything revolutionary, but the time and care put into the characterization by the writers and voice actors is outstanding.

aj3292
05-04-2019, 01:01 PM
That's really the difference for me. Same with RDR2. The storyline itself is not anything revolutionary, but the time and care put into the characterization by the writers and voice actors is outstanding.

Considering that as human beings we are born, we work, we love, we hate, we suffer and we die, I think "originality" is pretty overrated in storytelling. It's all in how a story is told which makes it compelling or not. It's great to see someone else agrees with this.

spurraider21
05-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Red Dead 2's story is pretty deep tbh... i wouldnt know hot to explain it and make it sound compelling in 2-3 sentences to somebody asking "so whats the game about."

oh, its about an outlaw who becomes disillusioned with the gang and the leader's ambitions over time, as he comes to grips with decisions he's made, etc. just sounds bland and lacks kick. cant do it justice

Reck
05-04-2019, 03:27 PM
For me, even though its fairly straight forward and a little basic, it has to be Shenmue 1 and 2.

The basic story is that of revenge but it's so much more than that. The deep mythology, the chance ecounter that leads to destiny changing paths. These games are the shit.