PDA

View Full Version : I fully expect the 2020 Spurs to win 50+ games and make the second round

Uriel
04-28-2019, 08:14 PM
We have a lot of reasons to be optimistic that this year's team--which came within two games of 50 wins and a hair's breadth of moving on to the second round--will come back even stronger next year. Among which are:

1. The return of Dejounte Murray
2. The continued growth of Derrick White
3. The new guys learning to play in Pop's system in their second year here
4. DeRozan and Aldridge continually learning to play with each other
5. The possible addition of a high-quality free agent with the full MLE
6. The likely arrival of Nikola Milutinov
7. The addition of two first round picks

Barring a major injury or unforeseen circumstances like Pop's retirement, I fully expect the 2020 Spurs to win 50+ games and make the second round.

DC23
04-28-2019, 08:18 PM
I appreciate the optimism. But let's wait a few months and see how the draft and free agency goes. Have you also considered that the Lakers and Kings may both make the playoffs next year?

BlackAndWhite
04-28-2019, 08:20 PM
I'm excited too. Although the spurs aren't very good this year, they do have the pieces to get better. The two picks + internal growth could make a big difference. I believe Derozan will play better next year just like how LMA improved over time. The only questionable thing is whether LMA regresses and if so how much.

ginobilized
04-28-2019, 08:38 PM
Unbridled optimism on Spurstalk!!!
I dig it.

I'd love to see that. This team grew a helluva lot. Carry that over and add some talent, I can see the possibility of 50 wins.
Hope they can bolster the defense with a new player or two. Murray will help. I'd love to see a rematch with the Nugs next year.

Mikeanaro
04-28-2019, 09:09 PM
I dont like it, the fact that DDR and LA are not 3 point shooters limit our options a lot, add Murray who has no shot and we are limited to that terrible playoff basketball we have been playing these last years, the other team scoring like mad while our guys cant even defend and then when its Spurs time every shot is a torture, they search for the worst place to try to score.
I think that has a lot to do with Pop because even lesser teams have better times finding good looks.

Also Patty must go, it was a nice ride but now he is the new Porker, add the fact that nobody cant fix his height.

Genovaswitness
04-28-2019, 09:19 PM
won’t do shit with career losers like LMA and DDR. LMA has more playoff games with SA than he did with portland

Rummpd
04-28-2019, 09:22 PM
46 wins and eight seed

CGD
04-28-2019, 09:33 PM
I think it’s a closer call, and not in a good way. Kings will be better. The NBA wont take two years of the lebrons being out of the playoffs. And the Mavs should be better too.

Thunder will get pinched and so will spurs. TBD on clippers.

Uriel
04-28-2019, 09:48 PM
My proposed offseason moves:
- Re-sign Gay
- Get rid of Cunningham, Pondexter, and Montejunas
- Use MLE to sign Milutinov and 3-and-D swingman
- Use first round picks on a big and a wing

2020 Roster:
C - Poeltl, Milutinov, 1st round pick
PF - Aldridge, Bertans, 3-and-D Swingman
SF - DeRozan, Gay, 1st round pick
SG - White, Forbes, Bellinelli
PG - Murray, Mills, Walker

HankChinaski
04-28-2019, 09:53 PM
I am optimistically HOPEFUL for Murray to come back an provide some needed athleticism in the backcourt alongside White.

Lonnie Walker has potential to be something useable with this current make up of the team into next season.

Spurs jettison Cunningham, Pondexter and don't replace them with equally flat tires.

Take a hard look at summer league invites as well as training camp invites to guys like Ben Moore, Heustis to see if they are able to contribute off the bench in a 11-15 spot on the roster.

Feel out Milutinov and see what a price tag he is seeking. If too steep hopefully the Spurs just package his rights for a favorable option else where if possible. If nothing pans out hold on to the rights one more season when the Spurs should have more cap space to re-evaluate bringing him over one last time.

Outside of that, hope the Spurs draft well and get lucky.

HankChinaski
04-28-2019, 09:55 PM
This team has a shot of a 50+ win season next year. Really just depends if they don't play down to opponents like they did this year at times

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2019, 09:56 PM
:lol good for you OP, I admire your optimism..

alpha_HaZE
04-28-2019, 09:58 PM
As long as we are healthy, I like our chances going to the round 2, regardless. LA will probably regress or get traded, but it shouldn't matter.

SouthTexasRancher
04-28-2019, 10:12 PM
We first need to get athletic. Especially at the Small Forward spot. We need a long (wing span), athletic, slashing, three point shooting, defense first, durable Small Forward.

We have too many Shooting Guards and not one real Point Guard. I'm anxious to see if DJ has fully recovered and has full mobility. But, DJ, DW, BF, PM are more 2 Guards and not really accomplished Point Guards.

We need more toughness and 3 point shooting from the Power Forward and Center spots.

We need whatever team we end up with to practice shooting 25 hours a day and while under pressure.

If Pop stays he needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize the league has passed him by with his style of old school play. He needs to go to Ebay or Craigslist and see if someone has a personality for sale. His 6 year old, elementary school first grade, childishness has really become old. It is so refreshing watching every other coach in the NBA and/or college act like an adult when holding a press conference during and after the game. Pop's shtick is so damn boring and adolescent that he needs to flush it down the toilet.

Hopefully DJ will become the leader I think he can be. Right now we don't have any real leadership. We need a lot more heart and guts. We are wimpy weak.

If we stay the same we'll be lucky to even get the 8 spot.

Other than that I like your optimism.

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 10:22 PM
The Spurs are more likely to have a losing season next time, as a 50 win season, if the same management is in charge.

The folks who brought in Belinelli, Gasol, and who annointed a wombat as team leader do not have a firm grasp on what it takes to win.

SAGirl
04-28-2019, 10:22 PM
Really not excited about the same LMA/Demar core. But it only gets worse b4 it gets better at this point I think.

Texas_Ranger
04-28-2019, 10:24 PM
i am hoping for a top 3 draft pick, but expecting a 7th seed and first round bye bye.

spursistan
04-28-2019, 10:27 PM
:lol good for you OP, I admire your optimism..

Uriel probably thinks Spurs and Kawhi can still kiss and make up :lol..

TDomination
04-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Well see what happens in the offseason but overall I believe we will be over 50 next year.

Maybe a pipe dream but I hope we find a way to get Danny green back

JeffDuncan
04-28-2019, 10:31 PM
Really not excited about the same LMA/Demar core. But it only gets worse b4 it gets better at this point I think.

Hey, SAGirl, how ya been? Who would you like to see come back for the Spurs? I mean from the current roster.

spurstalk123456
04-28-2019, 10:51 PM
DeRozan needs to spend all summer practicing the 3. He would be so much better if he could just shoot the 3 at a respectable rate. He's so predictable now.

ElNono
04-28-2019, 10:52 PM
Bad takes Urinel strikes again... smh

SAGirl
04-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Hey, SAGirl, how ya been? Who would you like to see come back for the Spurs? I mean from the current roster.

Been good. Took this loss tougheR than I thought I would. Unlike the past couple seasons against GSW with an injured team this one was winnable IMO.

I like Derrick White and I was really hopeful Murray was going to be improved this season. I Still look forward to how he looks next year. I look forward to the development of Lonnie Walker along with draft picks and such. I was impressed with Forbes development. Jakob got better through the year and Davis is Ok as a bench spark. It's really the Stars. Can't change a team all that much without a new star emerging. I may be among the most Pollyanna. I still think the draft is the only way to go, rough as it is. It's why I have been perfectly fine with tanking (although it you were going to tAnk you shouldn't have traded for demar derozan).

I just don't think a Demar/LMA star duo has a high ceiling. Got to keep hoping someone falls to the Spurs through the draft.

spurs1990
04-28-2019, 11:18 PM
50 wins and 2nd round would be great, but I'd like the emphasis on prolonging the playoff streak. That is the best apsect about the franchise in its comparison to other teams and one more in 2020 puts the Spurs #1 all time in that column.

To that end I don't mind being conservative and running it back with Murray and contributing play of Walker. Just make the playoffs and whatever happens after is bonus. Let's ride out the DeRozan/Aldridge contracts which both expire summer of 2021 and then if necessary hit the reset button. Until that keep the streak going.

BackHome
04-28-2019, 11:32 PM
If we stay healthy and bring Nikola over then easy 50 plus wins really excited for the draft hope we get the players I want. Lol.

Nathan89
04-28-2019, 11:33 PM
Spurs got the easiest matchup for an upset this year. Even they slightly improved they'll be a lower seed with a worse matchup.

Uriel
04-28-2019, 11:35 PM
Uriel probably thinks Spurs and Kawhi can still kiss and make up :lol..
Of course not. But I’ve been saying from the start that we never should’ve gotten rid of him in the first place and I was right.

spursistan
04-28-2019, 11:45 PM
Of course not. But I’ve been saying from the start that we never should’ve gotten rid of him in the first place and I was right.

I think they definitely panicked and caved in just as the whole thing exploded on twitter and the national media.. Duncan was providing them with equivalent of Basketball utopia and they weren't used to deal with the upheavals and daily troubles of a normal NBA franchise..

It pains me to say that Pelicans have showed more poise and expertise in handling the AD trade demand and its ensuing circus than our organization with regard to Kawhi's..

Babyboy
04-28-2019, 11:51 PM
walker needs to start

LongtimeSpursFan
04-29-2019, 12:19 AM
Murray, White and Walker give us the three most athletic guard the Spurs have ever had at one time. That alone should be fun to watch.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Murray, White and Walker give us the three most athletic guard the Spurs have ever had at one time. That alone should be fun to watch.

Hopefully there's a 3-point shot somewhere among those 3:lol

cjw
04-29-2019, 01:04 AM
Spurs got the easiest matchup for an upset this year. Even they slightly improved they'll be a lower seed with a worse matchup.

A few more wins and they would have played that garbage OKC team. Also, Utah is certainly worse than Denver. It’s going to be tough for those two franchises to fall out of the playoffs next year when Lebron returns.

In all seriousness though, the west is going to be a bloodbath next year ... Dallas and Sacramento will grow with age, and the Lakers will be something better than this year’s version.

objective
04-29-2019, 02:00 AM

How many will be on the court at the same time?

One?

Arcadian
04-29-2019, 02:39 AM
Agree, they should.

EricB
04-29-2019, 02:43 AM

I mean sure if you want to keep a round a guy the players despised, who faked and injury and quit on the team and fucked around in NY.

i mean, Manu maybe might have played one more year, but Kawhi pissed him thebfuck off so much that he was tired. So keep that in mind with your candy land thoughts.

TheGreatYacht
04-29-2019, 07:14 AM
i am hoping for a top 3 draft pick, but expecting a 7th seed and first round bye bye.
:lmao this is the ceiling until crater face leaves to go win bronze with Team USA again...

TheGreatYacht
04-29-2019, 07:16 AM
You're right. Those 3 sharing the court with Patty and Bryn WILL be fun to watch :lol....

JeffDuncan
04-29-2019, 11:57 AM

Walker will damn sure launch one. Whether he hits at a good percentage is the question, but that kid will let it fly.

White has a good 3pt shot, when he isn't too discouraged.

exstatic
04-29-2019, 12:05 PM
I appreciate the optimism. But let's wait a few months and see how the draft and free agency goes. Have you also considered that the Lakers and Kings may both make the playoffs next year?

Lakers? Kawhi ain't going there. AD will almost certainly be traded somewhere else to play next season. I'm not sure I'd pick the LAL to make the playoffs next year. The Kings faded badly last year, and have started a new coaching regime, yet again. They're the Kings, after all. Wouldn't bet on them, either.

TDomination
04-29-2019, 12:07 PM
All I can say is if White isn't injured to start the year, we would have won 50 this year. He not only had to get over his injury but then become acclimated at being starting PG.
But we all saw that he was one of the biggest difference makers this year.
If he starts from Game 1. This team wins 50 games. No doubt in my mind. Injuries played a big factor this year. But happens to every team.

exstatic
04-29-2019, 12:09 PM

DW shoots pretty well, although he needs to increase his volume. LW IV has a beautiful jumper that extends beyond the 3 point line. His issues aren't mechanical, they're shot selection.

cd021
04-29-2019, 12:10 PM
My proposed offseason moves:
- Re-sign Gay
- Get rid of Cunningham, Pondexter, and Montejunas
- Use MLE to sign Milutinov and 3-and-D swingman
- Use first round picks on a big and a wing

2020 Roster:
C - Poeltl, Milutinov, 1st round pick
PF - Aldridge, Bertans, 3-and-D Swingman
SF - DeRozan, Gay, 1st round pick
SG - White, Forbes, Bellinelli
PG - Murray, Mills, Walker

That starting lineup could be pretty bad offensively. I fully expect Forbes to start and White to be the 6th man.

Also Milutinov will likely eat more than up half of the MLE no way they are getting a 3 and D rotation player too using the MLE.

Agree with everything else

Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Poeltl
Mills, White, Bertans, Gay, Milutinov
Walker, Belinelli, 1st rounder, FA (deep bench)

Stashed first round pick.

K...
04-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Also pretty clear we'd be in the second round with home court. So avoiding those dumb losses and swoons is a good goal.

cd021
04-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Walker will damn sure launch one. Whether he hits at a good percentage is the question, but that kid will let it fly.

White has a good 3pt shot, when he isn't too discouraged.

I am baffled by White tbh, his last year on college he shot 40% on 5 3s a game-including pull up 3s, but now hesitates to shoot open ones now.

cd021
04-29-2019, 12:18 PM
It pains me to say that Pelicans have showed more poise and expertise in handling the AD trade demand and its ensuing circus than our organization with regard to Kawhi's..

I don't know about more expertise given how much of a shit show it's turned into but that wasn't really their fault.

Waiting for the off season, when Boston can make offerers is the best route for them. Also, bonus points for dicking the Lakers around.

superbigtime
04-29-2019, 12:27 PM
I think they definitely panicked and caved in just as the whole thing exploded on twitter and the national media.. Duncan was providing them with equivalent of Basketball utopia and they weren't used to deal with the upheavals and daily troubles of a normal NBA franchise..

This is truth. Pelicans have handled it surprisingly well. They haven't caved. Pretty admirable.

Dave_ET
04-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Don't forget about Lonnie Walker IV getting a real role next year

JeffDuncan
04-29-2019, 01:22 PM
I am baffled by White tbh, his last year on college he shot 40% on 5 3s a game-including pull up 3s, but now hesitates to shoot open ones now.

Bad coaching.

cd021
04-29-2019, 02:00 PM
Don't forget about Lonnie Walker IV getting a real role next year

How?

Is the likely rotation, hard to see him getting minutes barring an injury.

r0drig0lac
04-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Walker, White, Murray and 3 small forwards playable on the roster for next season would be my ideal scenario

TimmyBuckets
04-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Trash team this year and slightly less trashy next year. They'll go as far as their stars take them, and with two choke artist midrange chuckers, they won't go far. Forbes and Gay were the best players in an elimination game 7. That says enough about this garbage squad. Dejounte isn't a savior and neither is White.

DAF86
04-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Next season the Spurs could easily win 55+ games, and they could easily miss the playoffs too.

The 8 teams that made it this season should be in the fight next season (in fact, the only team that made it behind us, Clippers, should improve dramatically if they land Kawhi), and then teams like the Lakers, King and even Mavs could be up there too. It will be even more difficult than this season.

TD 21
04-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Next season the Spurs could easily win 55+ games, and they could easily miss the playoffs too.

The 8 teams that made it this season should be in the fight next season (in fact, the only team that made it behind us, Clippers, should improve dramatically if they land Kawhi), and then teams like the Lakers, King and even Mavs could be up there too. It will be even more difficult than this season.

Yeah, though 55+ is probably pushing it. I could see more like the Nuggets this season (54 wins, 8th in MOV, 7th in SRS) on the high end. In other words, the top 4 seed that all lower seeds want to play because they know they're the most flawed top one.

I could also easily see them missing the playoffs too. This idea that Murray coming back + a semblance of continuity automatically = improvement, is silly . . .

- While it's unlikely any fall off a cliff, any or all of the "mid 3" could easily decline.
- Murray could easily take almost or about as much away from the offense as he adds to the defense.
- There could also be chemistry issues. One benefit to being paper thin, like this season, was it made the rotation cut and dry.
- How will the team in general react to probably not being able to play their best 5 because of fit issues? How will one of Murray/White handle probably mostly splitting minutes and not always closing? How will Forbes and Belinelli handle less minutes? While Walker will play more, how will he handle another season as a likely non rotation player?

Uriel
04-29-2019, 07:27 PM
That starting lineup could be pretty bad offensively. I fully expect Forbes to start and White to be the 6th man.

Also Milutinov will likely eat more than up half of the MLE no way they are getting a 3 and D rotation player too using the MLE.

Agree with everything else

Walker, Belinelli, 1st rounder, FA (deep bench)

Stashed first round pick.
Really? How much do you expect Milutinov will ask?

If his asking price is too high, we can just use the full MLE on the 3-and-wing and draft a backup C instead. Then bring Nikola over next summer. Or use the MLE on Nikola and draft the 3-and-wing.

True, but conversely, I expect overachieving teams like Denver and Portland to regress to the mean. I don't know where we'll end up in the standings next year, but if things go according to plan, I'm almost certain we'll surpass this year's win total.

daslicer
04-29-2019, 08:22 PM

Agree depending on chemistry,health,luck and the rest of the West they could win around 50-55 or be in the 37-45 ranges.

DPG21920
04-29-2019, 08:45 PM
Agree depending on chemistry,health,luck and the rest of the West they could win around 50-55 or be in the 37-45 ranges.

It would be pretty shocking if sa got worse.

daslicer
04-29-2019, 09:01 PM

I think most likely they will be in the 47-55 trajectory. I think the only way they can get worse is based on a few factors. First one is that LMA starts to decline rapidly. The second one is if they suffer a bunch of major injuries. The third one is that the West as whole just gets better. Teams like the Kings,Mavs,Lakers,Clippers improve.

R. DeMurre
04-29-2019, 09:24 PM
The off season moves of teams like the Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Mavs, & Pelicans will be interesting to see, and could make a huge difference come playoff time. If Durant stays, Kawhi joins the Clippers, and the Lakers land a major free agent, I can see the Spurs actually getting a little better but still finishing in a similar position next year.

Dave_ET
04-29-2019, 09:27 PM
How?

Is the likely rotation, hard to see him getting minutes barring an injury.

I think he get's some of Forbes's & Marco's minutes

rascal
04-29-2019, 09:46 PM

No it wouldn't and I expect it. They were lucky to win what they did this year. This team is on the decline. An injury to DDR or Aldridge or decline of any of them and they are sure to be in the lottery. Murry is not going to be a savior. No all star caliber players on the roster. White is overrated.

cjw
04-29-2019, 10:49 PM
Injuries could happen, but they could happen to other teams as well. Look at how the PG shoulder injury derailed the Thunder. Or Lebron and the Lakers. Harden or Lillard go down and those teams lose a handful of games.

Don’t forget this team was 41-26 in games that White played, and when he didn’t play they were 7-8. Because of the Murray injury, they literally didn’t have a PG when White went down. 41-26 extrapolates to 50 to 51 wins. So the White injury probably cost them a few seeds and possibly home court in round 1.

Just like injuries happen, so can drop offs. It may not hit as hard, as Lamarcus and DDR don’t rely on athleticism as much as some others. When guys like Westbrook start to lose it, it’ll fall off fast ... Gerald Wallace style.

cd021
04-30-2019, 03:34 AM
I think he get's some of Forbes's & Marco's minutes

In my scenario, Beli is out of the rotation and White is the 6th man at SG with Forbes starting and playing around 22mpg while White eats up the other 26 mpg. I really don't see a way to crack the rotation for Walker

I could see, however, Pop being extremely cautious with Murray and sitting him on some back to backs, allowing Walker to get some minutes that way.

cd021
04-30-2019, 03:40 AM
Really? How much do you expect Milutinov will ask?

If his asking price is too high, we can just use the full MLE on the 3-and-wing and draft a backup C instead. Then bring Nikola over next summer. Or use the MLE on Nikola and draft the 3-and-wing.

I think something like 3 years, $16 million. I don't think the Spurs are likely to sign a rotation 3 and D player either way.

There isn't minutes for one and White, Murray and Poeltl playing big roles should beef up the D. Drafting one may be a possibility but that player isn't likely to make an impact next season.

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 09:56 AM
I think will be slightly better next season. I see only both LA teams improving plus Dallas. Portland, Denver, OKC and Houston should most likely stay the same and if KD leaves the Dubs will be vulnerable. The Jazz might get better if they can upgrade at PG.

If this team adds a 3-and-D SF with the MLE like a Demarre Carroll for example, the defense will get a lot better. They could slot in Dejounte for Poeltl and go small, so there would still be the same amount of perimeter shooting in the starting line up, especially if DeRozan starts shooting 3s. A lot will depend on White and Murray's jump shot. But the defense of a White/Murray/DeRozan/3-and-D wing/LA line up will be top notch. With White and Murray you shut down even the best back court duos, if you got a solid SF you can also make life tough on the opposing wing player and LA is pretty good at guarding big men. Add to that that at least one of Murray/White will be out there all the time and you'll also make it tough on other teams 6th man.

Life for LaMarcus should also be easier with Murray coming back, should get him more easy baskets and I assume we'll play at a faster pace and run in transition. If you leave one of White/Murray out there with the bench, you add Poeltl to that and the bench defense should be stout as well. I'm high on Walker as I see him as a prolific scorer, he just knows how to get into his spots and his athelticism makes it easier for him. A White/Mills/Walker/Gay/Poeltl line up should be one of the best benches in the league. If Walker takes a leap, having him and Rudy would give you enough scoring. Not to mention we'd also have Bertans/Forbes/Belinelli unless we trade one of them. The depth should make it easier to compensate injuries and the team got one year of playing time under its belt, they might be able to get home court advantage in the first round.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Life for LaMarcus should also be easier with Murray coming back, should get him more easy baskets and I assume we'll play at a faster pace and run in transition. .

first option for 2seasons now on the spurms, still the same old pos exposed in the playoffs...prefers to shoot over midgets defending him, then playing bullyball down low...

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 11:01 AM
first option for 2seasons now on the spurms, still the same old pos exposed in the playoffs...prefers to shoot over midgets defending him, then playing bullyball down low...

name one big man in the NBA right now who doesn't shoot jump shots? And Giannis doesn't count

JeffDuncan
04-30-2019, 11:46 AM
name one big man in the NBA right now who doesn't shoot jump shots? And Giannis doesn't count

Well.....Poeltl. Tongue in cheek reply. Sort of.

TimDunkem
04-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Shooting jumpers is one thing.

Shooting turnaround, fadeaway jumpers over midgets, as a big man 5 feet from the rim, is another.

JeffDuncan
04-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Shooting jumpers is one thing.

Shooting turnaround, fadeaway jumpers over midgets, as a big man TWENTY* feet from the rim, is another.

FIFY.

But either way, of course.

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Well.....Poeltl. Tongue in cheek reply. Sort of.

Yeah, why not mention Mason Plumlee as well. Every elite big shoots jumpers. There are some that don't and none of them are on LaMarcus level, yet some get payed the same or more money

SASdynasty!
04-30-2019, 01:00 PM
We have a lot of reasons to be optimistic that this year's team--which came within two games of 50 wins and a hair's breadth of moving on to the second round--will come back even stronger next year. Among which are:

1. The return of Dejounte Murray
2. The continued growth of Derrick White
3. The new guys learning to play in Pop's system in their second year here
4. DeRozan and Aldridge continually learning to play with each other
5. The possible addition of a high-quality free agent with the full MLE
6. The likely arrival of Nikola Milutinov
7. The addition of two first round picks

Barring a major injury or unforeseen circumstances like Pop's retirement, I fully expect the 2020 Spurs to win 50+ games and make the second round.
8. The return of Tony Parker. So that when the team forgets how to dribble in game 7 and can’t score more than 4 points over a 10 minute stretch, you’ll have someone to keep you in the game and get you out of the first round.

SpursDynasty85
04-30-2019, 01:26 PM
People say it is impossible to see Patty traded but I think the contract that they gave Patty and Belinelli was pretty generous and if with that generosity comes a bit of understanding in business that if we can ship you to make a move at a real championship just like any other team in the league would do and at this point in there careers a move with 76ers makes the most sense. Those ridiculously talented yet immature guys and the hope that Brown would welcome those guys back to get more 3 pt shooting. I do not know how we achieve one but we are one high-level, right-fit PF away from contending. Contending is all you can ask for and if it is a pop-coached team you can bet we will be the most consistent for the next 2-3 years riding LMA and Derozan's late careers with White, Murray, Dejounte, Walker and One more prime PF - TOBIAS HARRIS. That would mean renouncing everyone else including Rudy Gay but keeping Poeltl, Forbes and Metu along with our 2 draft picks. With this line up we can look longterm or short term for our draft which stays inline with goals of the organization.

Mills, Belli, Gay, Bertans can go for cap room to sign Tobias Harris is my vote. Anyone else have thoughts?

JeffDuncan
04-30-2019, 01:52 PM
8. The return of Tony Parker. So that when the team forgets how to dribble in game 7 and can’t score more than 4 points over a 10 minute stretch, you’ll have someone to keep you in the game and get you out of the first round.

Hm. Get another guard who can't defend. Interesting theory.

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 02:00 PM
People say it is impossible to see Patty traded but I think the contract that they gave Patty and Belinelli was pretty generous and if with that generosity comes a bit of understanding in business that if we can ship you to make a move at a real championship just like any other team in the league would do and at this point in there careers a move with 76ers makes the most sense. Those ridiculously talented yet immature guys and the hope that Brown would welcome those guys back to get more 3 pt shooting. I do not know how we achieve one but we are one high-level, right-fit PF away from contending. Contending is all you can ask for and if it is a pop-coached team you can bet we will be the most consistent for the next 2-3 years riding LMA and Derozan's late careers with White, Murray, Dejounte, Walker and One more prime PF - TOBIAS HARRIS. That would mean renouncing everyone else including Rudy Gay but keeping Poeltl, Forbes and Metu along with our 2 draft picks. With this line up we can look longterm or short term for our draft which stays inline with goals of the organization.

Mills, Belli, Gay, Bertans can go for cap room to sign Tobias Harris is my vote. Anyone else have thoughts?

Ain't happening. Harris is a free agent and most likely signing elsewhere. Mills contract is basically untradeable unless you give up an asset with it

JeffDuncan
04-30-2019, 02:05 PM
... Contending is all you can ask for and if it is a pop-coached team you can bet we will be the most consistent for the next 2-3 years riding LMA and Derozan's late careers with White, Murray, Dejounte, Walker and One more prime PF - TOBIAS HARRIS. That would mean renouncing everyone else including Rudy Gay but keeping Poeltl, Forbes and Metu along with our 2 draft picks. With this line up we can look longterm or short term for our draft which stays inline with goals of the organization.

I'd work on a way to get Tobias Harris, sure.

SpursDynasty85
04-30-2019, 02:08 PM
Ain't happening. Harris is a free agent and most likely signing elsewhere. Mills contract is basically untradeable unless you give up an asset with it

There is some value in Mills, Belli, and Bertans. Brett Brown would be doing us a favor along with hosing us for whatever is out there including Jonathan Simmons, and other bench players, give us some trade exceptions, 2nd rounders, etc.. work other deals around but giving away these players should not be hard. Harris seems pretty lowkey. He got traded from LA, Lakers don't look attractive. Why not stay in a contender with no hooplah or distractions? SA should be looked at as a great destination for players that just want to be down to earth nba stars not instafamous like Embiid or Simmons. Just basketball, family, and whatever else you want on the very side side. GO SPURS!

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 02:17 PM
There is some value in Mills, Belli, and Bertans. Brett Brown would be doing us a favor along with hosing us for whatever is out there including Jonathan Simmons, and other bench players, give us some trade exceptions, 2nd rounders, etc.. work other deals around but giving away these players should not be hard. Harris seems pretty lowkey. He got traded from LA, Lakers don't look attractive. Why not stay in a contender with no hooplah or distractions? SA should be looked at as a great destination for players that just want to be down to earth nba stars not instafamous like Embiid or Simmons. Just basketball, family, and whatever else you want on the very side side. GO SPURS!

that scenario would be too good to be true. While I agree that Philly would be one of the few teams who'd be interested in our shooters, I don't think Harris will resign there. Seems like he's more New York bound since he's from Long Island I expect him to end up with the Nets

SpursDynasty85
04-30-2019, 02:42 PM
that scenario would be too good to be true. While I agree that Philly would be one of the few teams who'd be interested in our shooters, I don't think Harris will resign there. Seems like he's more New York bound since he's from Long Island I expect him to end up with the Nets

Two things have to happen:

1) Harris has to pick SA as one of his top options
2) Sixers and Harris have to work out a way for Harris to communicate he does not want to resign period and will probably only work with SA to get a sign and trade done.

Now that you mention the Nets. The nets probably feel the same way about Harris as a perfect fit and have a lot of good assets but not really the ones that will help 76ers win now.

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Two things have to happen:

1) Harris has to pick SA as one of his top options
2) Sixers and Harris have to work out a way for Harris to communicate he does not want to resign period and will probably only work with SA to get a sign and trade done.

Now that you mention the Nets. The nets probably feel the same way about Harris as a perfect fit and have a lot of good assets but not really the ones that will help 76ers win now.

They don't need to have assets, they have cap space. Something the Spurs won't have. Harris will simply sign there

SpursDynasty85
04-30-2019, 08:42 PM
They don't need to have assets, they have cap space. Something the Spurs won't have. Harris will simply sign there

Nah. Doubt it. They need to sign Butler. After that I dont think there is much left.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Hopefully we get Kawhi back and do much better than that.

RC_Drunkford
05-01-2019, 03:55 AM
Nah. Doubt it. They need to sign Butler. After that I dont think there is much left.

they have enough cap space for 2 max deals

UncleDennis
05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Hopefully we get Kawhi back and do much better than that.

I think David Robinson and Tim Duncan coming back to reform the twin towers has more a chance then Kawhi coming back. That dude will never step foot back in anything Spurs related.

He gave Pop a 10 minute conversation and made him go cross country at a fuckin' In-Out :lmao.

itzsoweezee
05-01-2019, 02:10 PM
A great overview of why the Spurs are going to be first round fodder again next year (they're easy to defend against): https://www.poundingtherock.com/platform/amp/2019/5/1/18523860/4-points-9-minutes-san-antonio-spurs-future

szkorhetz
05-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Domantas is already fired.

GreekSpursfan
05-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Too many unknown variables. We don't what version of Murray we're gonna get after the injury, there is a possibility he might suck. LMA is getting older, he might regress, his previous season one might argue was better than this season especially defensively. White has shown us that he's injury prone and thats another questionmark. Will Poetl learn at least one post move so we don't have to play 4 on 5 on offense? Being from Greece i know about Milutinov more than anyone here and i wouldn't be very optimistic about his contribution here. Of course we desperately need a big so having another body wouldn't hurt us. Other teams as others said will get better namely Lakers and Sacto. My expectations remain low.

Spurtacular
05-01-2019, 09:32 PM
46 wins and eight seed

I bet Vegas sets the over/under at 45.5, tbh.

Slippy
05-01-2019, 09:42 PM
A great overview of why the Spurs are going to be first round fodder again next year (they're easy to defend against): https://www.poundingtherock.com/platform/amp/2019/5/1/18523860/4-points-9-minutes-san-antonio-spurs-future

Excellent article in that it's thouro on that 1st quarter of game 7. If it's the same SL next season or even insert DJ into. The book will be the same or even worse on how to contain the spurs.

Manong Ginobili
05-02-2019, 01:59 AM
a hybrid of Murray defense with Forbes offense will definitely help this team

Russ
05-02-2019, 10:38 AM
He gave Pop a 10 minute conversation and made him go cross country at a fuckin' In-Out :lmao.

Reminds me of when Chris Webber wouldn't meet with the Spurs so they asked him to watch a video about SA.

Arcadian
05-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Why does anyone think the Lakers will be in the playoffs next year?

Russ
05-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Why does anyone think the Lakers will be in the playoffs next year?

Media delusion . . .

BackHome
05-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Fake News

Uriel
06-16-2019, 10:39 PM
Am I crazy to think the Spurs have a chance to make the Finals next year? The West is wide open.

spurraider21
06-16-2019, 10:45 PM
lol urinel

cjw
06-16-2019, 11:16 PM
Am I crazy to think the Spurs have a chance to make the Finals next year? The West is wide open.

No, they took the 2 seed to the last minute of game 7 on the road after outplaying them the whole series until Pop decided to let Patty and Marco play matador defense.

That team took Portland to game 7. All of these teams are very close.

I don’t expect them to make a conference or NBA Finals, but it’s not as unlikely as last year. Golden State will be down, and Houston could implode.

Uriel
06-17-2019, 12:19 AM
No, they took the 2 seed to the last minute of game 7 on the road after outplaying them the whole series until Pop decided to let Patty and Marco play matador defense.

That team took Portland to game 7. All of these teams are very close.

I don’t expect them to make a conference or NBA Finals, but it’s not as unlikely as last year. Golden State will be down, and Houston could implode.
Right. They obviously won't be the favorites. But if they stay healthy, peak at the right time, and get a couple of lucky bounces, they could make some serious noise in the playoffs.

Coach X
06-17-2019, 03:51 AM
Defense will be the key. Spurs need to recover the usual elite defensive level.

The second area of focus is to resolve the spacing/3pt shooting situation with DeRozan and Murray on the court + the two bigs the Spurs system demands.

cutewizard
06-17-2019, 04:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sm45UsY-d0

cutewizard
06-17-2019, 04:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtEElOKyRIE

cutewizard
06-17-2019, 04:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZXYdKGkpY

dg7md
06-17-2019, 05:11 AM
Another first round exit. Guaranteed. This roster is not going to go anywhere as constructed. Not even hating on DeMar either, it's more than that. We're old and don't fit the current NBA style and as long as Pop is there we'll be just living in the past for legacy purposes tbh.

JuneJive
06-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Spurs have youth.

And more incoming.

It's all about them now.

ElNono
06-17-2019, 10:26 AM
lol urinel

acoelho1
06-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Spurs will win 50+ games next year and our young guns of Murray, White & Walker will play a significant role in reaching contender stays.

sasaint
06-17-2019, 10:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZXYdKGkpY

So, Jalen voted for a player for MVP that he now admits is a disinterested cancer unless he has complete control of the rock...

TimDunkem
06-17-2019, 11:01 AM
I dont like it, the fact that DDR and LA are not 3 point shooters limit our options a lot, add Murray who has no shot and we are limited to that terrible playoff basketball we have been playing these last years, the other team scoring like mad while our guys cant even defend and then when its Spurs time every shot is a torture, they search for the worst place to try to score.
I think that has a lot to do with Pop because even lesser teams have better times finding good looks.

Also Patty must go, it was a nice ride but now he is the new Porker, add the fact that nobody cant fix his height.

Poeltl too. Pop might actually start a lineup all year thay has 1 shooter in it...Gross.

SpursDynasty85
06-17-2019, 11:23 AM
YES to all this. Spurs, Blazers, Nuggets, Lakers will be at the top of the West next year.

duncan2k5
06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Not if DeRozan is on the team... No team led by DDR or LMA will sniff an NBA finals because they always come up short in the playoffs their entire career... They're in their 30s now... They won't magically become clutch big game players

cjw
06-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Not if DeRozan is on the team... No team led by DDR or LMA will sniff an NBA finals because they always come up short in the playoffs their entire career... They're in their 30s now... They won't magically become clutch big game players

Teams led by Demar and Aldridge have both made conference finals. This narrative is stupid, because it applies to almost every player out there.

TD 21
06-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Teams led by Demar and Aldridge have both made conference finals. This narrative is stupid, because it applies to almost every player out there.

If by "led" you mean best player, no they haven't. Lowry was the best player on the Raptors from '12-'18. Meanwhile, Scumbag was the best player on the Spurs from '15-'17 and even though they played and won crunch time of game 5 and the entirety of 6 game vs the Rockets without him (and Parker), there's not a chance in hell they win that series without him playing the majority of it.