PDA

View Full Version : Demar Rebounded the ball with 3.0 seconds left with the spurs owning a timeout..

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Ok Mills and Aldridge are complete retards..

Still. There have been plenty of games in the past where 3 seconds led to two attempted baskets.

Usually what happens in this situation if the make a quick alloeyop.

They would have a second and some change after the basket and they can foul.

Sure 1.5 second of a desperation pass sounds ridiculous but crazier things have happened.

Booker a couple years ago made a basket with .3 seconds left to go.

So while Aldridge and Mills are the biggest Culprit, why did derozan just give up too?

timvp
04-28-2019, 11:43 PM
I had the same thought, tbh. Sure, there was like a 0.01% chance you can force overtime in that situation but there was still a chance. It being Game 7 you attempt the miracle.

But, really, not DeRozan's fault specifically. Anyone including Pop could have called timeout. No one did. When the shot clock sounded, it looked like most of the team thought the game was over.

Just a giant cluster of mistakes in that final 28.2 seconds:

-Aldridge not fouling
-Patty not fouling
-Aldridge not looking at Pop for instructions
-Patty looking at Pop but not understanding the instructions
-Pop not using the right hand signal
-Assistant coaches not really helping convey the message to foul intentionally
-Forbes understanding what to do but not running over to foul
-Nobody calling timeout after the rebound

If I'm doing a power ranking of who was most at fault, Patty would be on top. Your point guard is the one who is responsible in that situation. If he didn't know himself (which he should have -- even if there were 35-40 seconds left, you still foul), then his job is to look at Pop and do what he says.

Aldridge isn't used to defending 40 feet away from the basket and bigs are almost never in that situation. He should have known but him not knowing is understandable. Patty not knowing is pretty damn pathetic. Then again, as I've said all season, Patty has the worst clock management skills of any point guard I've ever seen. I seriously don't know if he even knows the concept of going 2-for-1.

apalisoc_9
04-28-2019, 11:54 PM
I had the same thought, tbh. Sure, there was like a 0.01% chance you can force overtime in that situation but there was still a chance. It being Game 7 you attempt the miracle.

But, really, not DeRozan's fault specifically. Anyone including Pop could have called timeout. No one did. When the shot clock sounded, it looked like most of the team thought the game was over.

-Aldridge not fouling
-Patty not fouling

If I'm doing a power ranking of who was most at fault, Patty would be on top. Your point guard is the one who is responsible in that situation. If he didn't know himself (which he should have -- even if there were 35-40 seconds left, you still foul), then his job is to look at Pop and do what he says.

Aldridge isn't used to defending 40 feet away from the basket and bigs are almost never in that situation. He should have known but him not knowing is understandable. Patty not knowing is pretty damn pathetic. Then again, as I've said all season, Patty has the worst clock management skills of any point guard I've ever seen. I seriously don't know if he even knows the concept of going 2-for-1.

I think collectively the teams frustration with Aldridge and Mills in that position ultimaltely led to them giving up. Even the shot the rebound was lazy. The coaches gave up too. It was pretty evident.

Just pointing out that Demar made a seriously retarded decision too.

Dancelot
04-29-2019, 12:38 AM
I kinda actually think Aldridge was ignoring pop. I think he really just wanted the season to be over so he can begin to plan his exit. He gone.

spurs10
04-29-2019, 12:49 AM
Yes I wondered why there was no time-out, but the 24 seconds before was so mind boggling that I didn't know what to think. I wonder if anyone signaled DDR. I haven't re-watched yet

spurs10
04-29-2019, 12:50 AM
I kinda actually think Aldridge was ignoring pop. I think he really just wanted the season to be over so he can begin to plan his exit. He gone. He looked like he was playing hard.

Spurtacular
04-29-2019, 12:55 AM
Ok Mills and Aldridge are complete retards..

Still. There have been plenty of games in the past where 3 seconds led to two attempted baskets.

Usually what happens in this situation if the make a quick alloeyop.

They would have a second and some change after the basket and they can foul.

Sure 1.5 second of a desperation pass sounds ridiculous but crazier things have happened.

Booker a couple years ago made a basket with .3 seconds left to go.

So while Aldridge and Mills are the biggest Culprit, why did derozan just give up too?

:cry Leave Derozan alone! :cry
:cry He suffers from depression and doesn't need this! :cry

duncan2k5
04-29-2019, 12:58 AM

-Aldridge not fouling
-Patty not fouling

How is Aldridge not knowing understandable? Even WE know... The guy is a vet in his 30s!

KimmyGib
04-29-2019, 01:18 AM
While it was happening, it seemed the only explanation for why they were foolishly not fouling was because there were 4 seconds between game and shot clock, and so they were going to get a stop and use the final seconds to try to make something happen. And then... nothing. The whole thing was really bizarre.

timvp
04-29-2019, 01:43 AM
How is Aldridge not knowing understandable?

It's safe to say he has never guarded a center moonlighting at point guard in an intentional foul situation. It's possible he's never been the one to give an intentional foul past half court.

Aldridge should have known but it was a unique situation for him to be in. Patty, on the other hand, has no excuse because point guards are the ones who should know when an intentional foul is necessary and, if he somehow didn't know, look at the coach to figure it out.

apalisoc_9
04-29-2019, 01:49 AM
It's safe to say he has never guarded a center moonlighting at point guard in an intentional foul situation. It's possible he's never been the one to give an intentional foul past half court.

Aldridge should have known but it was a unique situation for him to be in. Patty, on the other hand, has no excuse because point guards are the ones who should know when an intentional foul is necessary and, if he somehow didn't know, look at the coach to figure it out.

Pattys too valuable to foul. I have sneaky suspicious he really thought he was too valuable to foul. I watched the replay for like 30 times. When Murray makes a move to move to the other side mills can clearly see Pop telling aldridge to foul. Unless hes chasing around murray blind..no way he doesnt see pop.

He knew the situation

duncan2k5
04-29-2019, 01:52 AM

Bro... I've never been in the NBA... neither have any of us... WE even knew to foul... And Aldridge has never fouled anyone in a situation where u have to foul?? LMFAO! The guy has been in the league for over a dozen years... Of COURSE he has!

monty4329
04-29-2019, 02:08 AM
DDR was still whining in his mind about the non call on Craig's block (which was a good block anyway)

therealtruth
04-29-2019, 02:43 AM
It had to be LMA or Patty to foul. Everyone else would have had to leave their man open. To me it didn't look like an intentional foul signal from the sidelines. It looked the signal from the sidelines was too pressure them. It's pretty bad when an inexperienced team knows how to finish a game better than a veteran one. Either way the team should have been on the same page about strategy as the Heat were in 2013 game 6.

R. DeMurre
04-29-2019, 02:51 AM

To me, Forbes gets no blame here at all. If he leaves his guy to foul, it's an easy pass & basket for Denver. The fact that he's yelling & gesturing to foul while Mills & Aldridge cluelessly let the clock wind down speaks volumes about their overrated "corporate knowledge" and "experience."

Coach X
04-29-2019, 05:27 AM
They were tired.

I'm not excusing them, it's just the explanation. When you're tired you don't think clearly. Big collective mistake that still didn't cost the series. It's not that important.

They had 3 other entire games to play better and win the series, including a +19pt lead lost in a potential 2-0 game + 2 next games at home.

BWS-1994
04-29-2019, 09:34 AM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought LMA said that he “knew” but still didn’t foul?

RC_Drunkford
04-29-2019, 02:40 PM
they should've fouled when DeRozan got blocked on the other end. Pop's signal looked more like wanting to trap Murray in the corner for a double team. That's what I got from his gesture. I totally think Patty didn't foul cause he had 5 already and didn't want to foul out. Just stupidity all over the team, Aldridge and Mills deserve the blame. They should know, either you foul the Nuggets when they got the rebound or you trap Murray with a double team to try to steal the ball. For the Spurs to be considered a high basketball IQ veteran team is a cliche, the team is totally retarded and filled with low IQ players

apalisoc_9
04-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought LMA said that he “knew” but still didn’t foul?

Yeah. He said he knew but just didnt foul.

JeffDuncan
04-29-2019, 05:19 PM
they should've fouled when DeRozan got blocked on the other end. ...

Right. As soon as Jockitch came up with the rebound he should have been fouled. Time was vital. Or at least he should have been very strongly pressured.

But....

LMA who had just lost the rebound to Jockitch made no attempt to foul or pressure him.

DDR went by Jockitch with no attempt at foul, or even any pressure.

The wombat had set up in the deep right corner, and could have approached behind Jockitch, but made no attempt at foul or pressure.

And the whole Spurs team let the Nugs bring the ball up like it was a typical possession in the middle of the 2nd quarter of a regular season game.

Hello? Anybody remember a certain incident, during the season, when DDR was bringing the ball up late in a game, and got double-teamed, and got it stolen? Anybody on the Spurs remember that, and ever give any thought to trying it themselves? Like in a playoff game, with time running out, and it could really matter. With the worst that could happen, if you tried for a steal, just being a foul, that you should be ready to do anyway.

Who was coaching that Spurs team we saw during the season just ended? Anybody?

RC_Drunkford
04-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Right. As soon as Jockitch came up with the rebound he should have been fouled. Time was vital. Or at least he should have been very strongly pressured.

But....

LMA who had just lost the rebound to Jockitch made no attempt to foul or pressure him.

DDR went by Jockitch with no attempt at foul, or even any pressure.

The wombat had set up in the deep right corner, and could have approached behind Jockitch, but made no attempt at foul or pressure.

And the whole Spurs team let the Nugs bring the ball up like it was a typical possession in the middle of the 2nd quarter of a regular season game.

Hello? Anybody remember a certain incident, during the season, when DDR was bringing the ball up late in a game, and got double-teamed, and got it stolen? Anybody on the Spurs remember that, and ever give any thought to trying it themselves? Like in a playoff game, with time running out, and it could really matter. With the worst that could happen, if you tried for a steal, just being a foul, that you should be ready to do anyway.

Who was coaching that Spurs team we saw during the season just ended? Anybody?

that's my point. People are complaining about what happened in the half court set, but really if players run back on defense they look towards the other basket with the coaches on the sideline. They would've easily seen the signal if it was made then

RC_Drunkford
04-29-2019, 06:09 PM
here is how you win a game by fouling in the last seconds. The team has actually done it this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqIO6NZtmCc