PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili may as well wear a bull's-eye since defenses will target him

Manu20
10-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Ginobili may as well wear a bull's-eye since defenses will target him
Web Posted: 10/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102905.1C.BKNspurs.ginobili.7a78623.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Among the perks that come with winning an Olympic gold medal, two NBA championships and making your first All-Star team, all within a head-spinning two-year stretch: You never need dinner reservations in Buenos Aires; everyone knows you're still a Time Warner customer; and you get to listen to Charles Barkley scream your name — Gi-noo- bleeee! — 736 times a year.

There are, of course, also a few drawbacks to realizing NBA fame so quickly.

League officials, to the amusement of your teammates, feature you on their "Embellishment of Contact" instructional video. The Phoenix Suns sign rugged defender Raja Bell after watching you whirl through the lane one too many times in the Western Conference finals. And, if that isn't enough, Indiana's Ron Artest announces his return by bouncing you around in a pair of preseason games.

Welcome to the ranks of the NBA elite, Manu Ginobili. You've earned the respect of your peers. Now they want your success.

"I think there are a lot of guys who are going to want to prove they're as good as Manu," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Part of it is because he is a foreigner. To them, he just came out of the blue. I think there's always going to be people who look at him as the standard they have to meet in the sense of being considered a star.

"But it's going to be difficult for people because he's not just talented. He's innately and purposefully driven. Most players don't have that. They'll talk it, but they don't have it."

Most players also haven't experienced the dream-like run Ginobili has enjoyed the past five years.

In 2001, he led Italy's Kinder Bologna to the Euroleague title.

In 2002, after guiding Argentina past the United States in the World Championships, he finished one controversial call away from winning the gold medal.

In 2003, as an NBA rookie, his energetic play off the bench helped the Spurs win the championship.

In 2004, he jump-started Argentina's Olympic run with a stunning last-second shot against Serbia-Montenegro and ended it by beating Italy for the gold medal.

In 2005, NBA coaches named him to the Western Conference All-Star team. Four months later, he won his second NBA championship, averaging 18.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.0 assists against Detroit — a performance many thought warranted at least a share of the Finals MVP trophy.

All of which leaves one question: Now what?

"I've been having great years, and always the next surpasses the previous one," Ginobili said. "I feel like, at this point, that's impossible (to continue). But that's probably what I said when I won the first time here and when I won in Europe."

Ginobili's goal is to build on last season's success. Or, at the least, preserve it.

"A lot of guys come and go," Popovich said. "He had a fantastic year, but his job is to maintain and build in both decision-making on the court and adding to his game."

That, Ginobili said, means improving his rebounding. His defense. His midrange shooting. Reducing his turnovers. Posting up occasionally. Giving his game, what Popovich calls, "a maturity."

"You can always improve a percentage point," Ginobili said. "And I can help the new guys and be more of a leader and talk a little more."

For much of his first two years in the NBA, Ginobili was unsure not only of his place among the team's hierarchy, but also of his communication skills. Although he had a good command of English, he worried about speaking too fast — or not clear enough — when tired or emotional after a game.

Toward the end of last season, Ginobili started to assume more of a leadership role. Tim Duncan's absence from the lineup because of injuries accelerated the process.

"Now I'm feeling better and more confident," he said. "So it's easier for me."

Ginobili's standing has also grown outside his own locker room. Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Dwyane Wade and Steve Nash have all publicly complimented him on his fearlessness. Even Denver coach George Karl now claims to like him.

The league's referees also understand his game better, which has translated into him getting more calls. Philadelphia coach Maurice Cheeks, like many around the league, likens Ginobili to Golden State's former left-handed Lithuanian guard, Sarunas Marciulionis. With one exception.

"Ginobili," Cheeks said, "is a better Marciulionis."

"Manu's game is special," said Indiana guard Stephen Jackson, who spent one season as Ginobili's teammate. "You can't imitate it. No one can try to practice like Manu or play like him.

"A lot of guys, you can scout and figure out what they like to do on the court, but it's hard to do that with Manu. He's so unpredictable. He'll try the impossible pass, the impossible play, and 75 percent of the time, he'll make it.

"What I love about him is his heart. He doesn't back down from anybody."

Ginobili didn't always inspire such praise. During a double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers early in his second season, he scored 33 points while Duncan and Tony Parker were sidelined with injuries. Gary Payton unsuccessfully tried to rattle Ginobili by barking at him.

Others have tried to do the same.

"They saw a white, skinny boy from Argentina and had no respect at all," Ginobili said. "And I understand that. It's normal. You have to work hard and play tough.

"Respect is earned."

ALVAREZ6
10-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Great article!

Even Denver coach George Karl now claims to like him.

Hmmm....he hated his ass in the play-offs...

diego
10-29-2005, 08:30 AM
League officials, to the amusement of your teammates, feature you on their "Embellishment of Contact" instructional video.

I thought he was in a video on how to take proper charges (with Nazr)? If Manu isnt getting to the line our offense will suffer. the only other guys (Duncan and Parker) who get to the line consistently on this team suck at FT's.

ducks
10-29-2005, 09:01 AM
you did not think they did that last year

phil jackson did that after tp torched la in the playoffs

lilmads
10-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Nicee.. Go Manu... Leader by example...:)

carina_gino20
10-29-2005, 09:49 AM
YEY! I love Ginobili!

boutons
10-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Manu, welcome to the Very Top Echelon of the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Toward the end of last season, Ginobili started to assume more of a leadership role.

I think it's only a matter of time before he's the vocal leader of this team. :tu

Solid D
10-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I can remember well-respected people in this forum, as late as last summer, saying Manu was good but he wouldn't be an All-Star or a major scorer for the Spurs. There was even a thread discussing whether Manu was capable of averaging 18-20 ppg.

I know Manu averaged under that last year in the regular season but he did average over 18 ppg in the playoffs and he did make the All-Star team.

I talk to people outside of San Antonio all the time and it's cool to hear how many people talk about how they love to watch Ginobili. People who weren't even Spurs fans before.

ObiwanGinobili
10-29-2005, 12:19 PM
"They saw a white, skinny boy from Argentina and had no respect at all," Ginobili said. "And I understand that. It's normal. You have to work hard and play tough.

ok ok ok... lets please not start this debate again!! :lol

exstatic
10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
What's the debate? Not everyone from Argentina is Hispanic, just because they speak Spanish as their first langauge. That would be like saying all US citizens are WASPs because they speak English. His ancestry is Italian, and from his own mouth, he self identifies as white.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2005, 12:45 PM
this is the greatest spurs team ever assembled

nkdlunch
10-29-2005, 12:52 PM
besides a championship, the thing I'm most looking forward to is to see what sick plays Manu's gonna come up with this season

ObiwanGinobili
10-29-2005, 01:01 PM
besides a championship, the thing I'm most looking forward to is to see what sick plays Manu's gonna come up with this season

me too.
I love the shit he pulls! :spin even tho 1/2 th etime I'm worried to all hell thta hte play won;t work, the pass will be bad, the shot won;t go etc etc... he keeps me right on the edge of my seat!!
I"M ADDICTED! :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I can remember well-respected people in this forum, as late as last summer, saying Manu was good but he wouldn't be an All-Star or a major scorer for the Spurs.

Yeah, I remember certain Spurs fans telling me I was crazy for saying Manu would be an All-Star.

spurschick
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I haven't paid as much attention during the pre-season, but does this count as Article #1 for the 2005-2006 Ludden ManuLove Fest?

boutons
10-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Johnny's just priming his opportunities to go to Argentina again next sumer! :)

spurschick
10-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Johnny's just prming his opportunities to go to Argentina again next sumer! :)

:lol So I guess we will also be seeing an influx of FabriLove articles from him as well.

Mr Dio
10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I remember certain Spurs fans telling me I was crazy for saying Manu would be an All-Star.

Yeah, because you're never wrong :rolleyes & don't lie. :lol

Mr Dio
10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, you told us all. :lmao We should've listened to you.

smeagol
10-29-2005, 02:44 PM
What's the debate? Not everyone from Argentina is Hispanic, just because they speak Spanish as their first langauge. That would be like saying all US citizens are WASPs because they speak English. His ancestry is Italian, and from his own mouth, he self identifies as white.
Shhhh . . . don't tell Danyo :lol

Sense
10-29-2005, 03:56 PM

It's funny how you want credit.

smeagol
10-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I never thought Manu was going to make the ASG last year.

I'll vouch for AHF, he was calling this very early last season.

SequSpur
10-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Give manu the ball and get the fuck out of the way.

smeagol
10-29-2005, 04:06 PM
That's what you said the night of the 48 pts. Were you watching NBA TV a couple of days ago? :lol

exstatic
10-29-2005, 04:08 PM

WTF? You're off VC's nutsack, FINALLY?

Manu = Manure
-Sequ

SequSpur
10-29-2005, 11:59 PM
WTF? I ain't that stupid.

Manu has more drive than all of the Spurs combined. Especially every other game.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
10-30-2005, 12:06 AM
WTF? I ain't that stupid.

Manu has more drive than all of the Spurs combined. Especially every other game.

Welcome to the Church. You have sinned in the past, but all is forgiven.

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/2839/church20dl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

spurschick
10-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Welcome, Brother Sequ

T Park
10-30-2005, 11:04 AM
But I thought

Vince Carter >>>>>>> Manu

what happened???

Vince will feel so jiilted!

1Parker1
10-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the Church. You have sinned in the past, but all is forgiven.
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/2839/church20dl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:lmao :lmao