PDA

View Full Version : Doug gottlieb says Tim Duncan wouldn't be that effective today

JohnnyMax
05-03-2019, 07:22 PM
watch between 3:08 to 4:10 and than skip to 7:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_OxG7UpM8

XDT76
05-03-2019, 07:37 PM
watch between 3:08 to 4:10 and than skip to 7:10

Lol, he must be dreaming. Tim was would eat up today's front court. He was so fundamentally sound and adaptive he would do what he needs to dominate the current era. Durant on the other end would not be able to handle the late 90s and early 2000's defence.

Robz4000
05-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Post-prime Duncan wouldn't of been as good, but 98-04 Duncan would destroy :lol today's NBA.

r0drig0lac
05-03-2019, 07:44 PM
well, he's entitled to his opinion (which I absolutely disagree, 1999-2005 Duncan would be the best player in the league without a doubt), unfortunately we'll never know, just as we will not know which is the best team in the history (though I do not see the 96-98 Bulls losing to any team in a series)

Trueblood
05-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Doug who?

XDT76
05-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Yeah saw a few articles saying Tim is not as skilled, but all these are just trash talkers trying to hype up their heroes. They did not realise that Tim was playing most on his career on one knee, how many players can do that and be as dominating as Tim. Also the pre-injury Tim showcases his handles and he even did a anklebreaker on Amir Johnson in 2013.

Clipper Nation
05-03-2019, 07:56 PM
How is Gottlieb still talking about basketball with a straight face after this?

Spurtacular
05-03-2019, 07:58 PM
It was inevitable that some idiot would reach for this low hanging fruit sooner or later.

ShutUp SayItAgain!
05-03-2019, 07:59 PM
lol He'd actually dominate more

RD2191
05-03-2019, 08:00 PM
It was inevitable that some idiot would reach for this low hanging fruit sooner or later.

:lol tbh

daslicer
05-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Gottlieb is a notorious spurs hater. Don't care what he has to say. Duncan from '97-'06 had Anthony Davis like athletic ability. Imagine if Anthony Davis had great footwork along with having strong post up moves and the ability to back down guys. That would be Duncan today. He would easily average 30-10 in today's league.

tim_duncan_fan
05-03-2019, 08:06 PM
lol He'd actually dominate more

Right? All this midget ball with like 2 effective big men across the whole league?

Duncan would eat.

We almost 2-pointered the 2nd seed in the better conference to death without anyone half as good as prime Duncan.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Just surround Duncan with 3 and D players and slow the pace. Replace Aldridge with prime Duncan and the spurs probably get the 1st seed in all honesty.

daslicer
05-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Looked at a guy like Jokic who is slow as fuck but is unstoppable because of his back to the basket game. Hard to believe Duncan wouldn't easily dominate today.

Spurtacular
05-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Without getting any plays called for him, Clint Capella is at 16 and 12 in today's NBA.

:lmao Gottalabotomy

Leetonidas
05-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Lolwat? Tim Duncan played in the majority of this decade. He was first team in 2013 for fucks sake. Prime Duncan would face fuck the league

Hoops Czar
05-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Post-prime Duncan wouldn't of been as good, but 98-04 Duncan would destroy :lol today's NBA.Duncan was destroying the NBA in 2012-14. Like the league has changed that much in 5 years. :lol

Russ
05-03-2019, 10:04 PM
It truly is the off-season . . .

ducks
05-03-2019, 10:26 PM
People say that about David Robinson also

Budkin
05-03-2019, 11:28 PM
How is Gottlieb still talking about basketball with a straight face after this?

Holy shit this is some of the most raw ownage I've seen in a while.

spurs1990
05-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Duncan has 25 FIRST HALF points against Queen in a close out NBA Finals game in year 16. Two years later he averaged 18 and 11 in the first round at age 38. It was only his last year the wheels fell off. And he still scored 19 pts in his last game ever.

Budkin
05-03-2019, 11:37 PM
Check out Doug's parents on his Wikipedia page... :lmao

Thomas82
05-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Duncan has 25 FIRST HALF points against Queen in a close out NBA Finals game in year 16. Two years later he averaged 18 and 11 in the first round at age 38. It was only his last year the wheels fell off. And he still scored 19 pts in his last game ever.

Some people never let the facts get in the way of what they believe is true.

Biggems
05-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Doug is correct. Duncan would not be as effective as he was during his career, when he went against absolute studly bigs on a nightly basis. No, he would be far more effective against the shitshow of bigs in the league currently. Duncan would be top 3 in the MVP race every year.

Vic Petro
05-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Gottlieb is a well known cunt.

Spurs fever
05-04-2019, 01:51 AM
Tim was wrecking a lot of today's bigs on one leg. Stop. I have no idea how some of these clowns get on TV.

RC_Drunkford
05-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Cause he thinks of 38 year old Duncan and not prime Tim Duncan. Prime Tim Duncan would probably average a quadruple double and be MVP every year. 38 year old Duncan would be Gobert with better offense

ElNono
05-04-2019, 05:57 AM
clickbait

SupremeGuy
05-04-2019, 06:27 AM
Tim Fucking Duncan could come out of retirement and average a double double next year.

Prime Tim Duncan fucks this soft league.

John B
05-04-2019, 06:35 AM
Tim played in 3 decades of different styles of basketball, including playing against big men (Shaq, Wallace/Wallace), high pick and roll (Nash/Stoudamier), motion offense game. Timmy not only has high bball IQ but physicality and freakishly long arms to depend anyone. That guy is a certified idiot

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Playing the same style he played then? Maybe, maybe not. But here’s the thing about all this hypothetical crap; we always try to guess what it would be like for a player to play in this era and we don’t factor in that the player has the intelligence to alter their game to the current style.

Tim was a smart, adaptive, highly skilled basketball player. Very underrated passer, decent ballhandler, great midrange shooter thusly could have likely become a good/great 3 point shooter. He didn’t resemble the “modern big man” because he didn’t need to. Instead, he resembled and exceeded the current era big man and he became the greatest power forward of all time.

So if we created a robot that played to his exact skills and strengths, he’d still be really good in this era. Rebounding is still necessary in this league. Finishing in the paint is still necessary in this league. Blocking shots and paint D is still necessary in this league. He was still dominant, strong, and athletic. Also, his competitiveness, mental fortitude, and will were unmatched. I think it’s very hard to argue that he wouldn’t succeed in an era where a basketball FAD rules supreme.

And if you want to argue that the whole traditional thing, Tim wasn’t all that traditional. Part of what made him crazy good was that he shot better than a traditional big man, he drove to the rim better than a traditional big man, he was more fit and athletic than a traditional big man, he was taller than a traditional power forward, more mobile than a traditional big man.

While position less basketball is probably here to stay, I believe the league will revert to a more traditional style. It will just take a physically traditional, dominant big man to change it all again. And as much as I dog him, I think Jokic leads that movement.

There. Those are my morning coffee thoughts. To summarize, TD would be either equally successful, or nearly as successful in this era. He’d adapt.

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 09:01 AM
LOL.. Nobody knows how to defend the post anymore. Watch Joel Embiid play and when he wants to be down low he scores every single time. He also lost me when he said "He is not a great shot blocker". LOL HUH? He broke the finals record for blocks in 2003.. And fine then I guess in this era Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem etc also suck.. And sure there is no longer a place in this game for someone who

Defends at a first team level
Scores on the block at will
Passes great
Rebounds like a machine
Great leader

Nope.. All about jacking up them 3's...

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 10:31 AM
LOL.. Nobody knows how to defend the post anymore. Watch Joel Embiid play and when he wants to be down low he scores every single time. He also lost me when he said "He is not a great shot blocker". LOL HUH? He broke the finals record for blocks in 2003.. And fine then I guess in this era Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem etc also suck.. And sure there is no longer a place in this game for someone who

Defends at a first team level
Scores on the block at will
Passes great
Rebounds like a machine
Great leader

Nope.. All about jacking up them 3's...

The crazy thing to me is that Timmy’s game was semi groundbreaking himself. He had jumpshot range, a luxury not necessity for bigs. Some of his drives were like big awkward SG type drives. He didn’t go very high but he played above the rim. The only time I’ll compare him and KG is here that they both were luxury big men on top of their normal rebounding and post duties. I wholeheartedly believe the greatest Spur and top 5-10 player of all time would still be ridiculous in this current era. Hell, I think Garnett would be too :wow

daslicer
05-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Playing the same style he played then? Maybe, maybe not. But here’s the thing about all this hypothetical crap; we always try to guess what it would be like for a player to play in this era and we don’t factor in that the player has the intelligence to alter their game to the current style.

Tim was a smart, adaptive, highly skilled basketball player. Very underrated passer, decent ballhandler, great midrange shooter thusly could have likely become a good/great 3 point shooter. He didn’t resemble the “modern big man” because he didn’t need to. Instead, he resembled and exceeded the current era big man and he became the greatest power forward of all time.

So if we created a robot that played to his exact skills and strengths, he’d still be really good in this era. Rebounding is still necessary in this league. Finishing in the paint is still necessary in this league. Blocking shots and paint D is still necessary in this league. He was still dominant, strong, and athletic. Also, his competitiveness, mental fortitude, and will were unmatched. I think it’s very hard to argue that he wouldn’t succeed in an era where a basketball FAD rules supreme.

And if you want to argue that the whole traditional thing, Tim wasn’t all that traditional. Part of what made him crazy good was that he shot better than a traditional big man, he drove to the rim better than a traditional big man, he was more fit and athletic than a traditional big man, he was taller than a traditional power forward, more mobile than a traditional big man.

While position less basketball is probably here to stay, I believe the league will revert to a more traditional style. It will just take a physically traditional, dominant big man to change it all again. And as much as I dog him, I think Jokic leads that movement.

There. Those are my morning coffee thoughts. To summarize, TD would be either equally successful, or nearly as successful in this era. He’d adapt.

Yup that's a point I made earlier. Just watching Jokic last night was amazing. He's slow but teams have a hard time guarding him. He was getting doubled a bunch of times because with single coverage he's automatic to back down somebody in the post and score. Duncan was a lot more athletic and faster than Jokic and could post up easily just like Jokic. I remember Duncan having a Jokic like role on the '03 Spurs but just being 10x better on both ends. Duncan was like the point forward of the offense.

daslicer
05-04-2019, 11:01 AM
The crazy thing to me is that Timmy’s game was semi groundbreaking himself. He had jumpshot range, a luxury not necessity for bigs. Some of his drives were like big awkward SG type drives. He didn’t go very high but he played above the rim. The only time I’ll compare him and KG is here that they both were luxury big men on top of their normal rebounding and post duties. I wholeheartedly believe the greatest Spur and top 5-10 player of all time would still be ridiculous in this current era. Hell, I think Garnett would be too :wow

KG,Duncan,Dirk,Rasheed,Amare, McDyees,Brand, Abdur-Rahim. All the top PF's from the '00s would still be great today.

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Yup that's a point I made earlier. Just watching Jokic last night was amazing. He's slow but teams have a hard time guarding him. He was getting doubled a bunch of times because with single coverage he's automatic to back down somebody in the post and score. Duncan was a lot more athletic and faster than Jokic and could post up easily just like Jokic. I remember Duncan having a Jokic like role on the '03 Spurs but just being 10x better on both ends. Duncan was like the point forward of the offense.

Exactly. I think Jokic’s game is partial proof that Duncan and some of the most classic big men could survive in this “new league”. All it takes to change the face of this league again is prove they can succeed.

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Giannis is not much of a shooter. He scores everything in the paint. So they surround him with great shooters who can also guard. The result is a 60 win team 2 wins away from the conference finals... Tim on the block today is scoring at will. Put the shooters who can guard around him and the Spurs win 60 a season..

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 11:35 AM
KG,Duncan,Dirk,Rasheed,Amare, McDyees,Brand, Abdur-Rahim. All the top PF's from the '00s would still be great today.

What was unstoppable then still is now. Nobody plays defense anymore other than 3 or 4 elite teams.. Not hard to pile up wins with a dominant post player, that has shooting around you, when nobody guards..

cd98
05-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Hilarious...Tim Duncan wasn’t a shot blocker. What? He’s top 5 all-time statistically.

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Tim was wrecking a lot of today's bigs on one leg. Stop. I have no idea how some of these clowns get on TV.

Anyone who says Duncan would not be effective today, either never watched the man play, or is trolling his ass off.

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Hilarious...Tim Duncan wasn’t a shot blocker. What? He’s top 5 all-time statistically.

Most blocks of all time in the playoffs.. Finals record in 2003 for blocks.. Can we start fact checking ass clowns live on TV when they spew such bullshit?

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 03:07 PM

I’m sorry that his blocks didn’t go 5 rows into the stands. It’s too bad that TDunks blocked most shots while still in play so his team could make a play on it and get a fast break and get two or three points in exchange. I guess his blocks weren’t as noticeable, but they were in fact higher IQ and benefited the team so much better

duncan2k5
05-04-2019, 03:41 PM
These guys are trolling for fame... They can't get by off personality like Shaq and Charles

superbigtime
05-04-2019, 04:02 PM
What a fool

Spurtacular
05-04-2019, 04:47 PM
When is someone gonna say that Michael Jordan wouldn't be effective in today's game? Dude was a midrange shooter. :lol

Spurtacular
05-04-2019, 04:48 PM
These guys are trolling for fame... They can't get by off personality like Shaq and Charles

Shaq getting by on being distinguished and being a hulk in the room more than personality, tbh.

J_Paco
05-04-2019, 04:59 PM
watch between 3:08 to 4:10 and than skip to 7:09

Wow, two well known Spur haters (probably the two biggest in the national media) manage to "throw shade" on Tim Duncan. Who would have thought that was possible?

Duncan's accolades and career speak volumes above the noise of that idiot, Doug.

Spurs fever
05-04-2019, 05:15 PM
This dude still trying to be Jim Rome.

phxspurfan
05-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Got kicked off BSPN and has been shit ever since

UNT Eagles 2016
05-04-2019, 08:47 PM
well he's a faggot

BD24
05-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Cowherd with Rapist at 7 :lol

midnightpulp
05-04-2019, 09:01 PM
The sport has changed a lot from even 2014-15. 4-down era Tim Duncan is probably only around a 4ish RPM player today. His great defensive ability was being the best paint anchor of all-time, singularly shutting down penetration. Today, modern teams would spam pick-and-rolls at him. On the offensive side, Duncan would have to develop a three point shot.

It's not about Duncan being necessarily deficient, and more how today's NBA is absolute garbage in the way the league has done everything to marginalize traditional big man play. And again, Duncan is still an All Star level player today, but he doesn't became a top 5 player of all-time if he had to play out his career under the modern style.

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 10:41 PM
It’s actually staggering to me how stupid this argument actually is. Because I am thinking about so many of the greatest players that ever lived that are centers that according to this logic would not be very good in this particular era of basketball. Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O’Neal, on and on. Basically because they are not deadly outside shooters? This argument is fucking retarded. You can’t stop a dominant big man on the low block. You just can’t. I don’t care what time you were talking about?

dbreiden83080
05-04-2019, 10:44 PM
The sport has changed a lot from even 2014-15. 4-down era Tim Duncan is probably only around a 4ish RPM player today. His great defensive ability was being the best paint anchor of all-time, singularly shutting down penetration. Today, modern teams would spam pick-and-rolls at him. On the offensive side, Duncan would have to develop a three point shot.

It's not about Duncan being necessarily deficient, and more how today's NBA is absolute garbage in the way the league has done everything to marginalize traditional big man play. And again, Duncan is still an All Star level player today, but he doesn't became a top 5 player of all-time if he had to play out his career under the modern style.

Duncan in his youth in particular could make the adjustment and guard people out on the perimeter as opposed to constantly shutting down penetration in the paint. Not being as much of a rim protector because the style is different. When he was young he was a great athlete and could guard the perimeter players. In terms of his offense. Put him on the low block and nobody is stopping it.. Absolutely nobody. They double-team, you surround him with great three-point shooters. No problem.

tholdren
05-04-2019, 11:54 PM
Jokic dominating just shows how unskilled these players are. But again, the nba is ENTERTAINMENT not skill. The best players are not in the nba.

The nba has to alter and incorporate rules to make current players be stars

MannyIsGod
05-05-2019, 06:53 PM
This is an all time level bad take in a year when Giannis is likely to win MVP. You're telling me that someone who is better than the guy who is about to win an MVP wouldn't survive in today's NBA?

Just a horrible horrible take.

HarlemHeat37
05-05-2019, 07:12 PM
He'd still be great, but certainly not the player he was during his era, the game isn't built for post bigs anymore..he would have to accept a different role than he had during his prime, which Tim would have been fine with, since he was arguably the most flexible star of all-time..

paperboy77
05-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't be without a 3 point shot. You see where the game is going. Big men that can't shoot 3's are not responsible for wins. This is why i really don't dig this era of the nba. You hear it in this forum over and over. Threes vs twos is a mismatch in the end. Sad but true.

HarlemHeat37
05-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Jokic dominating just shows how unskilled these players are. But again, the nba is ENTERTAINMENT not skill. The best players are not in the nba.

What the hell? Jokic has ridiculous talent:lol

tholdren
05-05-2019, 09:38 PM
What the hell? Jokic has ridiculous talent:lol

Yes hes half tim duncan...

Texas_Ranger
05-05-2019, 09:42 PM
97-03 Tim would average 40 in todays game. There are no bigs in todays NBA. Embiid and Jokic are pretty much the only two good bigs and Tim was 50X better than those 2 fuckers.

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 03:31 AM
Why do people here think Duncan couldn't shoot 3s?

https://youtu.be/3ohF16a1buE

now imagine if he actually worked on it

J_Paco
05-06-2019, 04:44 PM

Again, please stop posting. If the best players aren't in the NBA then where are they?

Pretty sure these "weak" NBA players (read: Black) still dominate regularly in international play, but please keep on with your moronic rhetoric.

Anyway, Duncan was way, way more fleet of foot in his youth and would be an absolute terror even today on defense. Yes, the game is a lot more perimeter oriented but you still have big men of varying sizes and skills littered throughout the league.

People/Gottlieb are speaking like he had Jahlil Okafor - level athleticism/ lateral quickness. Guess what, he didn't. TD was an underrated athlete especially before the mensicus tear which led to the arthritic knee.

spurraider21
05-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Doug who?
Gottlieb

spurraider21
05-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Why do people here think Duncan couldn't shoot 3s?

https://youtu.be/3ohF16a1buE

now imagine if he actually worked on it
:lmao 5/12 on an empty court?!?

hes a career 18% three point shooter on 168 attempts. 14% in the playoffs (made the big one against phoenix tho :hat)

Arcadian
05-06-2019, 04:56 PM
This piece of shit actually said "he wasn't that good of a shot blocker." Motherfucker, your opinion is now invalid.

Also, if you're going to make that argument, the same applies to every great center in history. Why single out Duncan?

And :lol at not mentioning Kawhi in the beginning when they were discussing the best player in the league. What an all-around dumpster fire of a segment.

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 05:29 PM
:lmao 5/12 on an empty court?!?

hes a career 18% three point shooter on 168 attempts. 14% in the playoffs (made the big one against phoenix tho :hat)

well he wouldn't have to shoot contested ones and he hit all of them from the top of the key. I think he could've played like Pau from behind the 3-point line. 1-2 shots per game in his sweet spots would already be enough. Especially if he had to do it consistently, Duncan would've been in the gym 24/7

spurraider21
05-06-2019, 05:34 PM
well he wouldn't have to shoot contested ones and he hit all of them from the top of the key. I think he could've played like Pau from behind the 3-point line. 1-2 shots per game in his sweet spots would already be enough. Especially if he had to do it consistently, Duncan would've been in the gym 24/7
still different in-game than in an empty court shoot-around session.

you could take anybody in history and say "oh they would have had a 3 point shot if they worked on it 24/7"

for all you know if duncan spent significant time working on a 3pt shot thats just less time to refine the other parts of his game that made him so great

tonski17
05-06-2019, 07:29 PM
In this era that everybody would play small ball. Prime Duncan would definitely destroy defenders (converted small forwards to power forwards)

sasaint
05-06-2019, 08:32 PM
If a player like Tim would not be very good in any era of the sport of basketball, it is because something is wrong with the game.

tholdren
05-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Again, please stop posting. If the best players aren't in the NBA then where are they?

Pretty sure these "weak" NBA players (read: Black) still dominate regularly in international play, but please keep on with your moronic rhetoric.

Anyway, Duncan was way, way more fleet of foot in his youth and would be an absolute terror even today on defense. Yes, the game is a lot more perimeter oriented but you still have big men of varying sizes and skills littered throughout the league.

People/Gottlieb are speaking like he had Jahlil Okafor - level athleticism/ lateral quickness. Guess what, he didn't. TD was an underrated athlete especially before the mensicus tear which led to the arthritic knee.

0 brains... keep watching the nba... you dumb dude, and its bad

Arcadian
05-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Duncan in his youth in particular could make the adjustment and guard people out on the perimeter as opposed to constantly shutting down penetration in the paint. Not being as much of a rim protector because the style is different. When he was young he was a great athlete and could guard the perimeter players. In terms of his offense. Put him on the low block and nobody is stopping it.. Absolutely nobody. They double-team, you surround him with great three-point shooters. No problem.

Exactly, man! The same way Curry creates "gravity" on the perimeter, Duncan created gravity from the low post, which sets up shooters for 3. Commanding a double team is valuable in any era. His game was fucking timeless.

cd98
05-07-2019, 04:18 PM
LMA doesn't shoot threes and he is an all-star and all-NBA player (last year) and the anchor of a playoff team in the west. So how can you say that if you don't shoot threes, you aren't fit for today's NBA game? You don't have to shoot threes if you can consistently punish defenders on the block and demand double teams. Duncan was that, plus he was an expert in passing out of double teams.

Defensively, he, like most bigs, may have struggled in switching on everything, but he was more mobile than Gobert, so how could he not be an equal on defense?

The problem with NBA bigs is that they are all taught to shoot only threes and they aren't competent on the block. Show me a big man that is as skilled as Duncan in today's game (along with his underrated athleticism and court vision) and show me where he is sitting on the bench.

Nathan89
05-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Turning Tim Duncan into Horford would be moronic usage of his skills.

UZER
05-07-2019, 05:13 PM
They never.....ever ever ever...talk about the Spurs unless it’s backhanded compliments or knocking them down the NBA ladder.

Duncan great but benefited from system

Parker great but benefited from system

Manu great but benefited from system

System system system

Kobe without Phil & triangle system - 0, with - 5, “he’s the greatest players of his gen”

Michael without Phil & triangle system - 0, with - 6, “he’s the undisputed goat”

Kawhi great but system player

Kawhi leaves system “hes Michael Jordan”

The mental gymnastics and contradictions these guys spit everyday is so agenda driven it’s laughable.

***and yes I’m aware the triangle offense belonged to Tex winter

TD 21
05-07-2019, 05:22 PM
They never.....ever ever ever...talk about the Spurs unless it’s backhanded compliments or knocking them down the NBA ladder.

System system system

Kobe without Phil & triangle system - 0, with - 5, “he’s the greatest players of his gen”

Michael without Phil & triangle system - 0, with - 6, “he’s the undisputed goat”

The mental gymnastics and contradictions these guys spit everyday is so agenda driven it’s laughable.

:tu

In some ways, '14 was the worst thing that ever happened to Duncan's "legacy". The revisionist history of his career is derived from that (same with scumbag undeservedly winning Finals MVP).

What the ignorant masses don't realize, is that if any of these previous great players were coming up today, their games would match the era.

Also, this diminishing of bigs is unfounded. Bigs appear to be less valuable, but that's primarily because the best players of this generation aren't bigs . . . but the best young players are. When the late 80s born superstars are past their prime in a few years and the early-mid 90s born enter theirs, the game is going to return to bigs, even if most don't play like the bigs of yesteryear.

RC_Drunkford
05-07-2019, 05:23 PM

System system system

Truth

UZER
05-07-2019, 05:28 PM
:tu

In some ways, '14 was the worst thing that ever happened to Duncan's "legacy". The revisionist history of his career is derived from that (same with scumbag undeservedly winning Finals MVP).

What the ignorant masses don't realize, is that if any of these previous great players were coming up today, their games would match the era.

Also, this diminishing of bigs is unfounded. Bigs appear to be less valuable, but that's primarily because the best players of this generation aren't bigs . . . but the best young players are. When the late 80s born superstars are past their prime in a few years and the early-mid 90s born enter theirs, the game is going to return to bigs, even if most don't play like the bigs of yesteryear.

If they had just closed out in 2013, he would’ve won finals mvp in 3 different decades. Dammit Pop.

I mean Andre freaking Iguadal won finals MVP :lol. Did the system get the credit?

TD 21
05-07-2019, 05:37 PM
If they had just closed out in 2013, he would’ve won finals mvp in 3 different decades. Dammit Pop.

I mean Andre freaking Iguadal won finals MVP :lol. Did the system get the credit?

He should have won it in '14 anyway (with Ginobili a close 2nd). I've long said Finals MVP should really be playoffs MVP, especially considering the real Finals often occur before the actual one.

Both of those were really the media's way of saying James deserved it, but couldn't win it in series where his team not only lost, but wasn't even semi close (at least in '14). Funny how the media has now decided that scumbag, who was a souped-up version of Bowen/Green back then, pulled a prime Jordan, O'Neal, Duncan, James, etc.

JeffDuncan
05-07-2019, 06:50 PM
If Tim Duncan was in the draft this year, all 30 teams in the NBA would have tanked trying to get the #1 pick! Lol

Thomas82
05-07-2019, 09:53 PM
If Tim Duncan was in the draft this year, all 30 teams in the NBA would have tanked trying to get the #1 pick! Lol

Facts!!

WallyTiger
05-08-2019, 07:45 AM
No, Spurs will not tank, Pop likes short guard.

Dingle Barry
05-09-2019, 02:26 AM

He had one wobbly donut wheel left when he was our best player against the Clips when kawhitter was getting owned by Matt Barnes

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2019, 06:12 AM
He had one wobbly donut wheel left when he was our best player against the Clips when kawhitter was getting owned by Matt Barnes

everyone likes to blame kawhi for getting shut down in that series

how come nobody mentions parker who shit the bed against a injured cp3 for that series?

UncleDennis
05-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Young Duncan could get any shot he wanted. Play up on him and he could beat you off the step, give him space and his bank shot was automatic. Fuckin' guy tore his knee up in 2000 and only was forced into retirement 20 years later once the other knee went, yet Duncan anchoring those 2013-2014 spurs runs at damn near 40 wouldn't have been able to adjust to today's NBA in his younger years with good knees and all the other benefits that youth brings. Meanwhile a slower, less athletic big is getting whatever he wants in the NBA playoffs right now as we speak, but TD wouldn't be as effective :lmao.

TimDunkem
05-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Cringe. He was literally effective a few seasons ago playing on one leg at 39. It was only another knee injury that finally did him in.

So how the fuck would a prime Timmy who went up against tougher defenses not be effective? As if he wasn't taking jumpers even back then. Gottlieb never fails to say something stupid.

RC_Drunkford
05-10-2019, 05:03 AM
everyone likes to blame kawhi for getting shut down in that series

how come nobody mentions parker who shit the bed against a injured cp3 for that series?

Parker was injured and had no lift on his jump shot. The blame is on Pop for overplaying him while Mills was averaging 13 points

venitian navigator
05-10-2019, 05:42 AM
...I've seen photos of him actually practicing whayever training stuff with his personal trainer...looks in perfect shape...franckly, I think he could still be today our starting center. His game is perfect for today nba...also 'cause he could still add and develop a 3 point shoot...

Floyd Pacquiao
05-10-2019, 03:14 PM
You got stiffs like Joel embiid hobbling down the floor shooting like 25 % from 3 making the all-star team and you don't think Duncan would be effective today? :lol

GreekSpursfan
05-10-2019, 04:20 PM
When you make a thread like this, you acknowledge the existence of this guy as an analyst who's opinion we should listen, not good.

dbreiden83080
05-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Young Duncan could get any shot he wanted. Play up on him and he could beat you off the step, give him space and his bank shot was automatic. Fuckin' guy tore his knee up in 2000 and only was forced into retirement 20 years later once the other knee went, yet Duncan anchoring those 2013-2014 spurs runs at damn near 40 wouldn't have been able to adjust to today's NBA in his younger years with good knees and all the other benefits that youth brings. Meanwhile a slower, less athletic big is getting whatever he wants in the NBA playoffs right now as we speak, but TD wouldn't be as effective :lmao.

The obsession of the 3 point shot has hurt the overall quality of the game, and skewed perceptions of what is dominant and effective play. Watching guys like Harden dribble, dribble, dribble, and jack up a step back 3 does not win you championships. Also the lack of defense, and the rules tailored to teams basically barely having to play it also has screwed up peoples perceptions of the great and dominant play in the NBA. Duncan is one of the best defenders of all time. A dominant post game, great passer, leader, every intangible in the book. 5 rings for god's sake and a 3 time finals MVP. But oh no he is not a sharpshooting 3 point guy... Fucking idiots in the media..