https://i.imgur.com/ZotQlj1.jpg

Bol Bol

School: Oregon
Position: PF/C
Height: 7-foot-2
Weight: 225
Wingspan: 7-foot-8
Draft Range: 10 to 25

Why: Manute's son is tall, long and skilled. He's an impressively fluid athlete who has Day 1 NBA three-point range. He can also dribble really well for a player his size and shoots well off the bounce. He's agile in the paint with good hands and quality finishing ability. Defensively, his length gives him an extremely high ceiling as a shot blocker. In his nine games at Oregon, averaged 21 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.7 blocks while hitting 13-of-25 three-point attempts.

Why Not: Broken foot prematurely ended season at Oregon. Extremely skinny and probably can't add much weight to frame; strength unlikely to ever be a plus. Effort level comes and goes. While he can move his feet, his reaction time is slow compared to NBA athletes. Doesn't have a history of competing consistently on the defensive end. Has an uphill battle to become even a satisfactory perimeter defender.

Spurs Fit: He'd be a stretch four next to Aldridge or Poeltl. Would need a year of seasoning but could take over Bertans' role in the 2020-2021 season.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: George Gervin

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Austin Daye

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bol-bol-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oioWaren3_4)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/bol-bol)
SI Profile (https://www.si.com/nba/2018/11/19/nba-draft-2019-bol-bol-oregon-deconstructing-unicorn-gamble)

DAF86
05-04-2019, 02:09 PM
What about his lateral quickness?

offset formation
05-04-2019, 02:38 PM
You starting in the Pacific NW and moving your way around the world, timvp?

Good stuff

BackHome
05-04-2019, 03:12 PM
You lost me at Super sized Austin Daye. Lol

joeyjfive
05-04-2019, 03:13 PM
He’s definitely who I would want with the 19th pick but I have a feeling he’s not going to be there for us to chose anyways.

Marco
05-04-2019, 03:18 PM
A top three talent as a 19 pick? One can dream

picnroll
05-04-2019, 03:27 PM
https://www.redteamscouting.com/bol-bol

benefactor
05-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Can you come take care of our issue in the political forum real quick? Thanks in advance.

timvp
05-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Can you come take care of our issue in the political forum real quick? Thanks in advance.

Fixed.

ace3g
05-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Not a true SF - don't want.

benefactor
05-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Fixed.
:tu

Thomas82
05-04-2019, 08:12 PM
He’s definitely who I would want with the 19th pick but I have a feeling he’s not going to be there for us to chose anyways.

I would like either him, Jaxson Hayes, or Daniel Gafford at 19.

Dennis the Menace
05-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Bol Bol is likely going 4-12, Hachimura 12-18

Would like to see Spurs trading up for Hachimura

spursparker9
05-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Who is Austin Daye?

phxspurfan
05-04-2019, 10:19 PM
We don’t need more bigs

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 10:30 PM
A 7’2” stretch four. Only in America folks. Interesting prospect but I bet he goes much sooner than 19

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 10:37 PM
If he drops, I say get him. His length would be fun to pair with Poeltl. Poor man’s Twin Towers pairing. Underrated top 5 rim protection :ihit

Chinook
05-04-2019, 10:55 PM
It's all about how PATFO believes they can work with him. Certainly there should be a forward prospect at 29. I don't mind Roby or Lawson there at all. So using 19 on the highest-ceiling guy is justifiable. I just worry that even if he stabilizes, he won't be more than a meh NBA player. That's not bad for a 19th pick, but it's not what you hope to get going in. Honestly, dude would have been hot shit in the 2012-2015 NBA where bigs who could shoot were good enough to make a high impact. Today's NBA really demands more perimeter skills out of their stretch-bigs. Being able to nail open shots is fine, but if you can't threaten the D as a slashers and ball-handler, then it doesn't make up for the lack of inside presence you're getting with a center who stays out on the perimeter.

kobyz
05-05-2019, 04:59 AM
Boom or bust, Could be the next Pau Gasol but also the next Andrea Bargnani...

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 05:06 AM
I think he'll be injury prone as well as uncomfortable with contact. His frame just looks suspect

cd021
05-05-2019, 06:10 AM
We don’t need more bigs

We have only two and one will be a 35 year old FA after next season, why not? If Bitizde is available then the Spurs should probably take him.

TDomination
05-05-2019, 07:05 AM
I think he'll be injury prone as well as uncomfortable with contact. His frame just looks suspect
I agree

Dejounte
05-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Dude has elite skills compared to Bargnani and Daye. Have yall seen him play? He literally plays like KD. If hes there at 19 its a no brainer. Dude has potential to be a generational talent. Not saying he couldnt bust too, but you have to take the chance if hes there.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Somebody will draft him sooner if his medical stuff checks out. I'm afraid of drafting this kid due to already having feet issues and his overall body build.

The few games he played at the university of Oregon he was great but I wish we could've seen him play a couple more games or at least a game or so against another NBA or high caliber NCAA big guy to really get a better read on him

He is an interesting prospect though

CGD
05-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Who is Austin Daye?

You mean NBA champion Austin Daye?

Dude is some guy who had an interesting physical profile and could shoot from range. Like a Channing Frye type. He couldn’t ever put it together for the spurs (or NBA). He’s apparently having a great second career in Italy though.

CGD
05-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Feet issues at that size is scary, but aside from that he struck my a slow and disiniterested. Like he’s marching to his own drum, and not in a good way.

Dejounte
05-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Feet issues at that size is scary, but aside from that he struck my a slow and disiniterested. Like he’s marching to his own drum, and not in a good way.

If hes disinterested and can put up those kinds of numbers, ill take him

Biggems
05-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Huge fan of manute on and off the court. I like the potential of bol bol. However, like with Oden, I worry about foot and leg injuries. If healthy, he should be a solid contributor for several years......18-20 ppg, 8-11 rbpg, and 3-4 bpg. But, that is a big if on the staying healthy part.

pad300
05-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Best case is Dirk Nowizki (with better defence due to shot blocking length), not Pau. Worst case is out of the league without giving you anything meaningful... The only way he falls to us is if his medicals scare off other teams - which might scare us off too. As fans, we're obviously not going to get to see his medicals (nor are qualified to evaluate them), so we have to trust PATFO to get it right, if they have the opportunity.

PS, if you are looking for another Pau, take a look at Goga. Compare their euroleague seasons and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/pau-gasol-1.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/goga-bitadze-1.html

exstatic
05-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Big guys and foot problems rarely end well.

look_at_g_shred
05-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Should having two firsts this year make it logical to take a chance on him?

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Best case is Dirk Nowizki (with better defence due to shot blocking length), not Pau. Worst case is out of the league without giving you anything meaningful... The only way he falls to us is if his medicals scare off other teams - which might scare us off too. As fans, we're obviously not going to get to see his medicals (nor are qualified to evaluate them), so we have to trust PATFO to get it right, if they have the opportunity.

PS, if you are looking for another Pau, take a look at Goga. Compare their euroleague seasons and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/pau-gasol-1.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/goga-bitadze-1.html

Damn Goga is only 19???

duncan2150
05-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Damn Goga is only 19???

and he looks pretty good, one really interesting target for the spurs.

For BolBol it's all about health, despite the fact tht he could have some problems on defense he is a really talented player. you can't pass on him but he will go higher for sure.

lmbebo
05-05-2019, 11:43 AM
I'm not sold on Bol Bol. Athleticism isn't there, but more than that is interest/effort. By all reports, its a big issue for him. That scares me most of all. No matter who drafts him, doubt he plays next year.

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 11:54 AM
and he looks pretty good, one really interesting target for the spurs.

For BolBol it's all about health, despite the fact tht he could have some problems on defense he is a really talented player. you can't pass on him but he will go higher for sure.

Goga at 19 years old is basically Milutinov with a jump shot and better defense. That's scary good. He could indeed turn into a Pau/Marc Gasol level player. His only weakness is shooting 31% from 3 :wow

duncan2150
05-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Goga at 19 years old is basically Milutinov with a jump shot and better defense. That's scary good. He could indeed turn into a Pau/Marc Gasol level player. His only weakness is shooting 31% from 3 :wow

I think so, that's why i doubt all teams before us will pass on him but i hope... :)

pad300
05-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Yeah, to my mind, Goga is pretty much the best C prospect in the class. People overrate athleticism vs skills though, and teams are low on C's right now (the worm will turn though). As a white Euro, there a chance he falls to us...

John B
05-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Didn’t we waive Austin Daye? Then why would we draft a player like him? :wakeup

keithington1
05-05-2019, 01:33 PM
I'd def take him with 19

spurraider21
05-05-2019, 01:36 PM
You lost me at Super sized Austin Daye. Lol
so he lost you at the very end? doesnt seem like an issue

spurraider21
05-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Boom or bust, Could be the next Pau Gasol but also the next Andrea Bargnani...
i'd take andrea bargnani with shotblocking upside at #19

i cant imagine bol would be on the board at 19 though

smaka
05-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Damn Goga is only 19???
Him being from Georgia, you never know if he's 19 or maybe 29, tbh :lol

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Him being from Georgia, you never know if he's 19 or maybe 29, tbh :lol

true but the same can be said about Bol Bol:lol

BackHome
05-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Two issues with Bol first was people questioned his desire and work ethic to play professional ball and now second issue broken foot I’ll pass and rather take Goga or Fernando.

gospursgojas
05-05-2019, 10:34 PM
George Gervin???

Seventyniner
05-06-2019, 02:09 PM
George Gervin???

Exactly what I was thinking. There are probably a max of two players per draft with that kind of legit ceiling, and Bol isn't on that level.

timvp
05-06-2019, 02:16 PM
It was difficult to come up with an apt comparison for Bol using just Spurs players. Porzingis is the obvious comparison league-wide as far as if Bol reaches 90% of his potential.

I think Bol offers an extremely wide variance between his ceiling and floor -- probably wider than anyone in this draft. He just hasn't played enough to get a true sense of what he can do. And even when he's played, he's never been in a situation where he's been pushed.

If Bol hits 100% of his ceiling, he's a 7-foot-2 perimeter scorer with an unblockable release point. I still don't think that's quite Gervin or Durant level but it'd be pretty damn close. That said, it's really unlikely that Bol hits his ceiling, IMO. Most draft prospects don't hit their ceiling ... and it's even rarer for prospects who have a history of being undermotivated.

ace3g
05-15-2019, 06:43 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1128725369224335360

timvp
05-15-2019, 06:44 PM
^ That's a pretty high body fat percentage for someone who looks so skinny. He must have no muscle at all.

spurraider21
05-15-2019, 07:19 PM
^ That's a pretty high body fat percentage for someone who looks so skinny. He must have no muscle at all.
Pointy elbows

ZeusWillJudge
05-15-2019, 09:26 PM

That's go to be some oddity of they way his body is put together and the way the league calculates body fat. There's no way he has a higher percentage of actual body fat than some of these other guys.

joeyjfive
05-15-2019, 09:31 PM
I’m on the Bol Bol bandwagon. If he falls out of the top 10 I think the Spurs trade up to get him, the Spurs are due to make a star out of a prospect big man (that wasn’t already fated to be great like Timmy).

Thomas82
05-15-2019, 11:25 PM
I’m on the Bol Bol bandwagon. If he falls out of the top 10 I think the Spurs trade up to get him, the Spurs are due to make a star out of a prospect big man (that wasn’t already fated to be great like Timmy).

Cosign!! If he ends up a Spur, I like his chances of reaching his ceiling if he stays healthy.

ZeusWillJudge
05-17-2019, 11:55 PM
Just saw an article saying that Bol was one of the big disappointments at the combine. Who would have guessed?

timvp
05-17-2019, 11:57 PM
Just saw an article saying that Bol was one of the big disappointments at the combine. Who would have guessed?

He didn't play or do athleticism testing. I'm assuming the disappointment was the fact that he somehow lost 30 pounds since the last time he was official weighed ... and somehow managed to add body fat while doing so.

IMO, since his dedication to the game has always been in question and those fears were realized on the scale at the combine, he could possibly even fall into the second round unless an analytics person falls in love with his numbers.

ZeusWillJudge
05-18-2019, 12:04 AM
He didn't play or do athleticism testing. I'm assuming the disappointment was the fact that he somehow lost 30 pounds since the last time he was official weighed ... and somehow managed to add body fat while doing so.

IMO, since his dedication to the game has always been in question and those fears were realized on the scale at the combine, he could possibly even fall into the second round unless an analytics person falls in love with his numbers.

Yeah, I was cut off because of my ad blocker. I white listed the site, and it was because of his weight. Something very squirrelly about him losing that much weight. You have to wonder if they just fudged on the last weight.

Thomas82
05-18-2019, 01:50 PM
The recent mocks I saw had him going in the back end of the lottery. Now with what happened at the combine he might fall into somewhere around the mid to high 20's.

koriwhat
05-18-2019, 02:07 PM
i'd take a flyer on him just to have his father around the team.

Ron Swanson
05-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Are we doing this by seance?

SpurPadre
05-18-2019, 02:17 PM

Does he drag his dad's coffin or urn with him wherever he goes?

Dverde
05-18-2019, 02:22 PM
No way Bol Bol drops to us. We might have a chance at Plat Plat.

koriwhat
05-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Are we doing this by seance?

Does he drag his dad's coffin or urn with him wherever he goes?

lol :tu

R. DeMurre
05-18-2019, 02:43 PM
His earlier listed weight at Oregon must have been untrue. How did he lose 25 lbs while sitting out with an injury?

timvp
05-18-2019, 03:03 PM
His earlier listed weight at Oregon must have been untrue. How did he lose 25 lbs while sitting out with an injury?

Bol Bol played at a Team USA minicamp and he legitimately weighed ~230 last year (they measured all the players in attendance). His excuse will obviously be that he has been staying off his broken foot since the injury. But still, losing that much weight while adding to his body fat is a bad sign for a player with commitment red flags.

MultiTroll
05-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Bol Bol played at a Team USA minicamp and he legitimately weighed ~230 last year (they measured all the players in attendance). His excuse will obviously be that he has been staying off his broken foot since the injury. But still, losing that much weight while adding to his body fat is a bad sign for a player with commitment red flags.
With Bol Bols issues, how about Tacko Fall from UFC which came within a hair of ousting Duke?
Didn't see a thread for him.
https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/nba-draft-combine-tacko-fall-turns-more-heads-with-impressive-vertical-leap/

and:
Tacko Fall.
The UCF big man was in the national spotlight when his team nearly upset Duke in the NCAA tournament’s second round. And now he’s making a case for an NBA future by shot blocking and playing solid pick-and-roll defense in front of scouts. After a strong showing in the G League Elite Camp earned Fall a spot at the combine, the Senegal product measured at 7-foot-7 in shoes with an 8-foot-2¼ wingspan and a 10-foot-2½ standing reach — shattering all the previous measurement records. Those measurements factored with a better-than-expected scrimmage performance should thrust Fall onto most mock draft boards.

koriwhat
05-18-2019, 03:37 PM
With Bol Bols issues, how about Tacko Fall from UFC which came within a hair of ousting Duke?
https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/nba-draft-combine-tacko-fall-turns-more-heads-with-impressive-vertical-leap/

and:
Tacko Fall.
The UCF big man was in the national spotlight when his team nearly upset Duke in the NCAA tournament’s second round. And now he’s making a case for an NBA future by shot blocking and playing solid pick-and-roll defense in front of scouts. After a strong showing in the G League Elite Camp earned Fall a spot at the combine, the Senegal product measured at 7-foot-7 in shoes with an 8-foot-2¼ wingspan and a 10-foot-2½ standing reach — shattering all the previous measurement records. Those measurements factored with a better-than-expected scrimmage performance should thrust Fall onto most mock draft boards.

7'7"? holy fuck! i'm about to YT this dude.

kuato
05-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Bol Bol is a superstar, he will never join Spurs.

BackHome
05-19-2019, 10:13 AM
His weight is 208 for a seven footer that is crazy no way could he play in NBA with that weight he would get broke. Only way for him to be successful is get drafted by SA and live right next to a Mexican and Hamburger places.

cutewizard
05-20-2019, 07:44 AM

and:
Tacko Fall.

:bobo

timvp
06-13-2019, 03:05 AM
It's looking more and more likely that Bol will be on the board at 19. He doesn't seem like a Spurs pick (questionable motor, questionable love for the game) but it'll be really interesting to see if they think his upside outweighs all the risks.

sananspursfan21
06-13-2019, 06:44 AM
His weight is 208 for a seven footer that is crazy no way could he play in NBA with that weight he would get broke. Only way for him to be successful is get drafted by SA and live right next to a Mexican and Hamburger places.

Daddy was 190 in his playing days

picnroll
06-13-2019, 06:51 AM
Please God no. Not Bol. Give the pick away instead.

Blackhaus
06-13-2019, 07:40 AM
He reminds me of thon maker so much, and you see how productive his career has been so far. Tall thin players with bad mobility equal shit

kobyz
06-13-2019, 07:55 AM
He reminds me of thon maker so much, and you see how productive his career has been so far. Tall thin players with bad mobility equal shit

I don't see it, bol is 10 times more skilled than what thon was as a prospect, bol doesn't lack feel for the game which thon is so poor in that regard...

cd021
06-13-2019, 08:28 AM
I am very curious why ST, in general, are so against Bol yet not Clarke or Grant Williams who have legit issues too.

exstatic
06-13-2019, 08:57 AM
I am very curious why ST, in general, are so against Bol yet not Clarke or Grant Williams who have legit issues too.

Bol has a weird physique, and is extremely inexperienced at high level basketball. He only played a few games at Oregon. Williams and Clarke have played a few seasons of NCAA ball, and probably more seasons, combined, than Bol played games.

picnroll
06-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Slow on defense, going to get killed on switches. Weak under the basket, going to get folded in half by stronger players. Not a hard worker by reputation. Weak body susceptible to injuries, won’t be able to count on him lasting through the season.

look_at_g_shred
06-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Slow on defense, going to get killed on switches. Weak under the basket, going to get folded in half by stronger players. Not a hard worker by reputation. Weak body susceptible to injuries, won’t be able to count on him lasting through the season.
Load Management. Its all the craze these days.

cd021
06-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Bol has a weird physique, and is extremely inexperienced at high level basketball. He only played a few games at Oregon. Williams and Clarke have played a few seasons of NCAA ball, and probably more seasons, combined, than Bol played games.

I get that he has a very unusual body type; tall, long, very thin. He has a better than 50% bust rate but also probably has a much higher ceiling than either Williams or Clarke. Less tape leads to more questions on top of his proportions, then again, more tape on Williams and Clarke lead to a lot of questions about their games.

Williams is an very undersized full time 4, meh athlete, best skills are his post game but probably won't be able to do so when even the 3's that play the 4 are bigger. Seems like his most likely outcome is a good bench PF rather than a starter.

Clarke is already 23, probably a 5, undersized and small arms, relies on his freak athleticism that could mean he'd be in for a big drop off in production around 30 when that starts to go. Going to struggle to defend in the post but will likely need to do so because one of his best skill is his shot blocking.

Ultimately, i'd probably pass on Bol, but would on the others too.

ace3g
06-13-2019, 10:10 AM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1139182966234583046

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-13-2019, 10:11 AM
The foot injury, to me, is a red flag. Especially for tall players. So you have that on top off all the other pink flags. So, in other words, we are going to pick him at 29.

Dejounte
06-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Ill take him at 19. Not sure the Spurs will based on how they treated Boban. But Bol might be fast enough for the Spurs to consider him.

Degoat
06-13-2019, 10:35 AM
I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting him but I’d rather a team before us at 19 pick him lol

look_at_g_shred
06-13-2019, 10:50 AM
After what the spurs had to deal with in Kawhi's injury saga. I'm not sure the spurs would want to deal with another injury risk player.

phxspurfan
06-13-2019, 12:16 PM
I wonder what he smokes out of

exstatic
06-13-2019, 12:25 PM
I get that he has a very unusual body type; tall, long, very thin. He has a better than 50% bust rate but also probably has a much higher ceiling than either Williams or Clarke. Less tape leads to more questions on top of his proportions, then again, more tape on Williams and Clarke lead to a lot of questions about their games.

Williams is an very undersized full time 4, meh athlete, best skills are his post game but probably won't be able to do so when even the 3's that play the 4 are bigger. Seems like his most likely outcome is a good bench PF rather than a starter.

Clarke is already 23, probably a 5, undersized and small arms, relies on his freak athleticism that could mean he'd be in for a big drop off in production around 30 when that starts to go. Going to struggle to defend in the post but will likely need to do so because one of his best skill is his shot blocking.

Ultimately, i'd probably pass on Bol, but would on the others too.

The Stepien is extremely high on Williams. They see him not only as a post player, but as an offense initiator, sort of a Diaw, I guess. Anyway, in a recent article, they said that after Zion, Williams picked between 24-40 would be the draft's second best move.

Blackhaus
06-13-2019, 01:16 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1139182966234583046

well he has the moving shitty illegal screen down that the nba loves

acoelho1
06-13-2019, 02:27 PM
If Bol Bol is available at 19, you have to take him. The talent is too much to pass up for a guy with his height. However, I think it's a lock that he gone in the lottery and maybe even top 10.

Blackhaus
06-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Im hoping he’s gone tbh, I would have more negative than positive feelings if he fell in the spurs laps.

benefactor
06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Mixed feelings tbh. Of all the players in this draft, I think this is the one that will go extreme in one way or the other. That said, I think I roll the dice if he's there at 19

Gordy58
06-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Don’t understand how you wouldn’t take the chance on Bol, there isn’t one player in this entire draft with his skill set. He has all star potential imo. Injury concerns or not.

exstatic
06-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Don’t understand how you wouldn’t take the chance on Bol, there isn’t one player in this entire draft with his skill set. He has all star potential imo. Injury concerns or not.

I don't see him being able to play enough minutes to be a minor star, let alone an All Star. He can be played off the court on defense by repeated switches. He's not like Claxton, with the overall twitch and quickness to switch onto guards. His lateral quickness is for shit, and he'll get blown by. I see a really skinny weak Ibaka, minus the lateral quickness.

From probasketballtalk on NBC's web site, today:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/13/2019-nba-draft-prospect-profile-bol-bol-is-going-to-get-someone-fired-one-way-or-another/

dubross
06-13-2019, 05:57 PM
What’s the difference besides Injury between him and when Kristaps before the draft?

exstatic
06-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Just one other minorly relevant factoid: the NBA wants 20 players in their green room. They basically discretely canvas teams about who they might pick. The list, so far, with 16 players on it:

Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, R.J. Barrett, De'Andre Hunter, Jarrett Culver, Darius Garland, Coby White, Cam Reddish, Jaxson Hayes, Sekou Doumbouya, Nassir Little, Brandon Clarke, Rui Hachimura, P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro, and Romeo Langford.

These players have not yet been chose:

Keldon Johnson, Oregon center Bol Bol, Georgian center Goga Bitadze, USC guard Kevin Porter, Virginia Tech guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Georgia center Nicolas Claxton, North Carolina forward Cameron Johnson and Tennessee forward Grant Williams

exstatic
06-13-2019, 06:12 PM
What’s the difference besides Injury between him and when Kristaps before the draft?

You're kidding, right? Bol Bol is LITERALLY a stick, 208 lbs at the combine. He is a fantastic weak side shot blocker, but (also literally) can guard no one. He also doesn't have a post game to speak of.

Pavlov
06-13-2019, 06:23 PM
#19 seems like a pretty big gamble much less a lottery pick, but det upside is tantalizing.

exstatic
06-13-2019, 06:26 PM
#19 seems like a pretty big gamble much less a lottery pick, but det upside is tantalizing.

He's a prospect of extremes, good and awful. His height and length are outstanding. His weight is appalling. He blocks shots very well and shoots the 3 very well. Other than shotblocking, he really can't defend at all against any sized player.

Pavlov
06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
He's a prospect of extremes, good and awful. His height and length are outstanding. His weight is appalling. He blocks shots very well and shoots the 3 very well. Other than shotblocking, he really can't defend at all against any sized player.Yeah, fortunately you can project that he's not going to be able to put on weight from the example of his father.

timvp
06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Just one other minorly relevant factoid: the NBA wants 20 players in their green room. They basically discretely canvas teams about who they might pick. The list, so far, with 16 players on it:

Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, R.J. Barrett, De'Andre Hunter, Jarrett Culver, Darius Garland, Coby White, Cam Reddish, Jaxson Hayes, Sekou Doumbouya, Nassir Little, Brandon Clarke, Rui Hachimura, P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro, and Romeo Langford.

Keldon Johnson, Oregon center Bol Bol, Georgian center Goga Bitadze, USC guard Kevin Porter, Virginia Tech guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Georgia center Nicolas Claxton, North Carolina forward Cameron Johnson and Tennessee forward Grant Williams

Goga was the 17th player invited.

So, yeah, decent shot that the Spurs at least have to contemplate Bol at 19.

baseline bum
06-13-2019, 06:45 PM

Sucks man, that Rashard Lewis interview was the best thing I have ever seen at the draft. Never to be repeated. :depressed

Gordy58
06-13-2019, 08:34 PM
I don't see him being able to play enough minutes to be a minor star, let alone an All Star. He can be played off the court on defense by repeated switches. He's not like Claxton, with the overall twitch and quickness to switch onto guards. His lateral quickness is for shit, and he'll get blown by. I see a really skinny weak Ibaka, minus the lateral quickness.

From probasketballtalk on NBC's web site, today:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/13/2019-nba-draft-prospect-profile-bol-bol-is-going-to-get-someone-fired-one-way-or-another/
We can’t judge a player of his talents based off his lateral quickness on the perimeter. Any big man in the league can get blown by guards. I’ve seen Gobert and AD get toasted so many times on perimeter pick/roll switches. Jokic is super slow, Marc Gasol...... Bol is an elite rim protector, with crazy guard-like skills for a guy his size, if he’s there you HAVE to take the chance.

cd021
06-13-2019, 10:25 PM
The Stepien is extremely high on Williams. They see him not only as a post player, but as an offense initiator, sort of a Diaw, I guess. Anyway, in a recent article, they said that after Zion, Williams picked between 24-40 would be the draft's second best move.

I think the Stepien also projects him as being an above average 3pt shooter on high volume, despite him not currently being either. If he ends up becoming that then that makes him a more viable NBA player but I am doubtful of that and his post game may not translate against NBA length, nor his above average ability to get to the line. Could be wrong but we'll see, I guess.

Good find. That does seem to jive with most of the major mocks drafts. Though Claxton seems to believe that he may be taken in the lottery because he shut down non-lottery team workouts.

He's a prospect of extremes, good and awful. His height and length are outstanding. His weight is appalling. He blocks shots very well and shoots the 3 very well. Other than shotblocking, he really can't defend at all against any sized player.

Interestingly enough, that is a big concern with Goga, a player frequently mocked to the Spurs. Re-watching his clips, he is really bad defending on the perimeter. Bad at contesting- as in he doesn't sometimes or is very late. Laughably bad at containing drives. Really good shot blocker though but doesn't look that great defending in the post.

Some of those defensive issues that were in that link that you posted are correctable but he is going to have to improve significantly to be even an an average defensive player which hurts Bol's upside, same with Goga.

Chucho
06-13-2019, 10:28 PM
We can’t judge a player of his talents based off his lateral quickness on the perimeter. Any big man in the league can get blown by guards. I’ve seen Gobert and AD get toasted so many times on perimeter pick/roll switches. Jokic is super slow, Marc Gasol...... Bol is an elite rim protector, with crazy guard-like skills for a guy his size, if he’s there you HAVE to take the chance.

Seriously. It's the 19th pick in the NBA draft. You take away DJ and DWhite and you realize the Spurs haven't drafted a solid contributor since drafting DeJuan Blair (sorry, Fathead was terrible). And we need help outside of the PG position, so you realize the Spurs haven't drafted any solid contributors post Parker/Ginobili outside of Splitter and Blair and MAYBE George Hill (who got better outside of the Spurs, tbh) and you get a little discouraged and the legitimate players we have drafted (Dragic, Barbosa, Scola and to an extent John Salmons), we gave away for nothing.

You got to take the upside in a place where we can use help. Bol fits that better than almost anyone else available at that spot.