https://i.imgur.com/WPCgUCT.jpg

Jaxson Hayes

School: Texas
Position: C
Height: 6-foot-11
Weight: 220
Wingspan: 7-foot-4
Draft Range: 5 to 15

Why: Mobile, coordinated up-and-coming center prospect. Defensively, doesn't hesitate to use his elite athleticism to challenge and alter shots. He's a willing help-defender who is impressively attentive for his age. Projects as a high level shot blocker early in his career. Offensively, his combination of soft hands and explosive leaping ability make him an elite finisher. Doesn't have a jumper yet but his form doesn't look terrible.

Why Not: Painfully raw at times -- just recently started concentrating full-time on basketball. Basketball IQ and feel for the game needs work. Needs to bulk up to be stronger on the boards; rebounding was surprisingly pedestrian at Texas. Doesn't have the body type of a player who is destined to be a productive post scorer. Will struggle early in pick-and-roll defense.

Spurs Fit: Unlikely to play as a rookie. Would be a center next to Aldridge, probably couldn't play next to Poeltl.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: 2003 David Robinson

Spurs Comparison - Floor: 2008 Francisco Elson

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaxson-hayes-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqS86ZeiVXU)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/jaxson-hayes)
BSO Profile (https://basketballsocietyonline.com/jaxson-hayes-scouting-report)

Russ
05-04-2019, 10:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WPCgUCT.jpg

Spurs Comparison: High Ceiling Francisco Elson

That's rough, timvp.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 11:00 PM
I'd have more confidence in Hayes developing than I would in Bol. But what he'd develop into would make we wonder if he makes sense at 19. Big is a low-key need for the team, and I don't mind PATFO drafting one early if they think he can develop into something special. But another Poeltl isn't that. Poor man's versions of those guys aren't hard to get, and considering Jakob's youth and likely extension/re-signing, I don't see the long-term benefit. No way I take him over Clarke, who's a better defender with the agility to play the four or three (albeit without any indications he has the skills to play there). Yes, there are forwards who will be around at 29. But there should be centers available around there too.

phxspurfan
05-04-2019, 11:14 PM
seems trash

Russ
05-04-2019, 11:20 PM
I'd have more confidence in Hayes developing than I would in Bol. But what he'd develop into would make we wonder if he makes sense at 19.

You won't need to worry about that.

Twisted_Dawg
05-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Seems he should of stayed in school.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 11:21 PM
You won't need to worry about that.

No idea which way you're going there.

kobyz
05-05-2019, 04:52 AM
Like mo Bamba in last year draft, going top 10 for sure thanks to physically and potential...

exstatic
05-05-2019, 08:23 AM
No idea which way you're going there.

I think the implication is that he will already be off of the board.

Thomas82
05-05-2019, 08:35 AM
If he's still there at 19, we shouldn't pass on him.

Biggems
05-05-2019, 09:35 AM
As a Longhorns homer, I say hell no. I will however be all for signing the tall white guy who shoots 3s as a UDFA.

EricB
05-06-2019, 01:14 PM
If Francisco Elson had a brain he would’ve been a decent player. Dude was just so damn stupid.

BackHome
05-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Pass

weebo
05-06-2019, 03:10 PM
If he's still there at 19, we shouldn't pass on him.

timvp
05-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Hayes is the only center prospect who is basically impossible to pass on at 19, IMO. Bol has a lot of question marks, most notably him losing 30 pounds since his foot injury. It's possible to make a case that Goga is either too slow in today's pick-and-roll heavy NBA or that there's too much duplicity with Poeltl, Milutinov and Aldridge. But Hayes has the chance to become that perfect modern day center every team wants in that he can defend pick-and-rolls at a high level and be dynamic enough offensively to keep opponents honest.

playblair
05-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Hayes is the only center prospect who is basically impossible to pass on at 19, IMO. Bol has a lot of question marks, most notably him losing 30 pounds since his foot injury. It's possible to make a case that Goga is either too slow in today's pick-and-roll heavy NBA or that there's too much duplicity with Poeltl, Milutinov and Aldridge. But Hayes has the chance to become that perfect modern day center every team wants in that he can defend pick-and-rolls at a high level and be dynamic enough offensively to keep opponents honest.

hayes = anthony davis...........hayes had the exact same growth spurt as davis..............rcent texas big men have been aboslute steals............jarrett allen/mo bamba/myles turner/ hayes will continue the trend

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-28-2019, 06:50 PM

Cosign!!

too bad he isn’t dropping past 10. I could see Atlanta maybe grabbing him at 8 or 10, which is the lowest he will go. Atlanta likes to get up and down the court and he can run right along with them as well as provide cheap rim protection and another lob partner for Trey Young.

Washington could also nab him before Atlanta but if he was to drop to our guys I think he could be a good pick up for the future of the franchise

Russ
05-28-2019, 06:57 PM
rcent texas big men have been aboslute steals............jarrett allen/mo bamba/myles turner/ hayes will continue the trend

That's why he'll be long gone at 19 -- NBA GMs are herd animals trying to avoid risk, they like UT bigs (and, of course, anyone the Spurs show an interest in).

I'd take this guy at 19 in a heartbeat.

ace3g
05-28-2019, 07:23 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1133493611587297280

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1133492776492867585

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 09:25 PM
This is who I want (top 3 choice for me)

timvp
06-11-2019, 09:41 PM
This is who I want (top 3 choice for me)

Not that I disagree but how do you factor in the fact that it'd be difficult to ever play him with Poeltl, Milutinov or Old Aldridge, tbh?

Value-wise, he's a home run at 19, IMO.

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Not that I disagree but how do you factor in the fact that it'd be difficult to ever play him with Poeltl, Milutinov or Old Aldridge, tbh?

Value-wise, he's a home run at 19, IMO.

I don’t factor it in honestly. SA can’t worry about Milu since he’s not here, Poeltl whom I really like but isn’t a core piece IMO or LMA who might only be here one or two more years where Hayes might be in Austin for one of those.

He’s just too good, especially at 19, to pass on. He, out of all 4 people mentioned by far has the most upside and potential mid-to-long term so he gets priority; not the others.

This especially goes for LMA - if SA isn’t doing everything they can to win now (and by that I mean trading their best young assets and picks for an all-star) then the future is the priority when it comes to decisions like this.

I am also saying that I would move up for him. For sure at 19, but if SA could move up to 12-15 he would still be the guy I want.

phxspurfan
06-11-2019, 10:52 PM
Another hipster name. Why mess with an obvious spelling of a word just to be cute

pad300
06-11-2019, 10:55 PM
I'm not actually sold. Reminds me of the Charles Barkley quote " run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer." I think both Goga and Claxton are better big prospects... I might even be sold on Kabengele ahead of him (like Kab's shooting).

Biggems
06-11-2019, 10:56 PM
I actually prefer Dylan Osetkowski. He has 3 pt range, plays with heart and fire, hustles on both ends. No, he is not athletically on the level of Hayes, not even close, but he makes a positive impact more often than not. Plus he can be had post draft.

Bellboy
06-12-2019, 12:03 AM
I actually prefer Dylan Osetkowski. He has 3 pt range, plays with heart and fire, hustles on both ends. No, he is not athletically on the level of Hayes, not even close, but he makes a positive impact more often than not. Plus he can be had post draft.

Surly Horns Forum couldn't contain this nonsense. Osetkowski +/- number during his time on the floor would drive some to suicide.

BackHome
06-12-2019, 12:20 AM
I'm not actually sold. Reminds me of the Charles Barkley quote " run like deer, jump like deer and think like deer." I think both Goga and Claxton are better big prospects... I might even be sold on Kabengele ahead of him (like Kab's shooting).

+1

kobyz
06-12-2019, 01:40 AM
I see him becoming like a Serge Ibaka type player...

Ignazzz
06-12-2019, 01:49 AM
He will be top 8 pick so no chance for Drafting him

NickiRasgo
06-12-2019, 04:49 AM
Jarrett Allen comparison?

Bellboy
06-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Jarrett Allen comparison?

More hops than Allen. So I would expect more blocks from weak side help.

DPG21920
06-12-2019, 03:24 PM
He can be a better ball handling version of Ibaka (not the shooter Ibaka turned out to be) - but he can grow as a shooter. If he is able to do so (big if) - the upside is like between Ibaka and poor mans Giannis

kobyz
06-12-2019, 03:28 PM
He can be a better ball handling version of Ibaka (not the shooter Ibaka turned out to be) - but he can grow as a shooter. If he is able to do so (big if) - the upside is like between Ibaka and poor mans Giannis

Jermaine O'Neal?

Thomas82
06-12-2019, 05:40 PM
He's my pipedream pick. My realistic top choice os Nic Claxton. I would be ecstatic with either one.

FkLA
06-17-2019, 07:19 PM
I get why people are high on this guy but does he really make sense with Poetl in the picture? Like if you have Steven Adams are you really going to use up resources to also acquire Capella as well? Personally, I'd just stick with Adams and use my resources to fill bigger needs even though I prefer Capella.

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 07:24 PM
I get why people are high on this guy but does he really make sense with Poetl in the picture? Like if you have Steven Adams are you really going to use up resources to also acquire Capella as well? Personally, I'd just stick with Adams and use my resources to fill bigger needs even though I prefer Capella.

It’s fair, but unless its SF/PF, there are issues everywhere. C/PF are the weakest spots. The guard logjam is a big deal because they are all really good prospects.

C? Not so much. Poeltl is solid, but not some truly foundational piece. Milu is not here yet and again, dont think he’s some surefire starter. LMA is aging. Having a truly high upside prospect there, even with fit concerns is better than at G imo

FkLA
06-17-2019, 07:36 PM
It’s fair, but unless its SF/PF, there are issues everywhere. C/PF are the weakest spots. The guard logjam is a big deal because they are all really good prospects.

C? Not so much. Poeltl is solid, but not some truly foundational piece. Milu is not here yet and again, dont think he’s some surefire starter. LMA is aging. Having a truly high upside prospect there, even with fit concerns is better than at G imo

19 has to be a combo forward. Anything else will be a punch in the gut to me. I'd definitely take Hayes over another guard though.

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 07:37 PM
19 has to be a combo forward. Anything else will be a punch in the gut to me. I'd definitely take Hayes over another guard though.

Depends on who the forward is? I don’t see many out there (Rui, Little, others) that I would take over Hayes personally.

Thomas82
06-18-2019, 05:39 AM
I'm not sue if he'll be there at 19. But I would be very happy with him or Nic Claxton at that spot.

DPG21920
06-19-2019, 12:10 AM
One would have to think if C is truly being undervalued he will fall to a range SA has a reasonable chance to grab him (14-19)

ace3g
07-08-2019, 09:52 PM
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1148424129273630720

BackHome
07-08-2019, 10:07 PM
Going to tear something bad if he keeps doing that. lol

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Hot take: he'll be better than Zion.

mookie2001
07-08-2019, 10:30 PM
“Jackson” Hayes as timvp calls him.

MultiTroll
03-26-2022, 10:50 AM
Hot take: he'll be better than Zion.You may be right. :lol
Doing 9 / 4.5 in only 20 minutes.
63% fg, 35% treys

Now if he can get ok off the court.
Updates: Jaxson Hayes Shoved Police Officer Into Wall, LAPD Body Camera Shows (tmz.com) (https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/27/lapd-release-jaxson-hayes-body-cam-police-officer-shoved-into-wall-nba-pelicans/)

NBA Star Jaxson Hayes Sued For Assault and Battery By Instagram Model (tmz.com) (https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/25/nba-jaxson-hayes-sued-assault-battery-sofia-jamora-lapd-arrest-taser/)

south side spur
06-07-2023, 04:57 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/nba-free-agency-new-orleans-pelicans-jaxson-hayes-san-antonio-spurs
Should the Spurs take a shot at signing this kid? If so what should the offer be? He’s restricted but he’s only 23 and it seems like New Orleans wouldn’t match according to this hack.

"Carving out more minutes for Hayes is tough," Bleacher Report writes. "Jonas Valančiūnas and Larry Nance Jr. are in front of him at the 5, and New Orleans doesn't have the motivation to favor dual-big combinations when Zion Williamson, Herb Jones, Naji Marshall and Trey Murphy III all soak up reps at the 4."

BatManu20
06-07-2023, 05:01 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/nba-free-agency-new-orleans-pelicans-jaxson-hayes-san-antonio-spurs
Should the Spurs take a shot at signing this kid? If so what should the offer be? He’s restricted but he’s only 23 and it seems like New Orleans wouldn’t match according to this hack.

Spurs wouldn’t touch him based on the fact that he’s currently serving Probation stemming from his drunken arrest a couple years ago. That and the fact that he went on Instagram Live and told the NBA to “suck his dick” after he wasn’t named to the NBA Rising Stars team :lol

south side spur
06-07-2023, 05:03 PM
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-12/jaxson-hayes-arrest-lapd-sergeant-broke-policy-by-kneeling-on-neck

Then there’s this incident. Would this be enough for the Spurs to pass on making an offer? He’s not showing much intelligence but I’m not sure if he was under the influence. It’s almost like the Primo incident never happened ever since that Karen’s money grab but maybe it is too soon for the optics.

BacktoBasics
06-07-2023, 05:05 PM
He’s not that good either. Dudes a bust as of today.

Russ
06-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Spurs wouldn’t touch him based on the fact that he’s currently serving Probation stemming from his drunken arrest a couple years ago. That and the fact that he went on Instagram Live and told the NBA to “suck his dick” after he wasn’t named to the NBA Rising Stars team :lol

Would have to take a serious look (if the price was right).

DPG21920
06-08-2023, 10:18 PM
I still liked him value wise at Spurs area here, but he definitely has not done any of the upside stuff really. Swing and a miss…

Chinook
06-09-2023, 06:59 AM
The Spurs have never shown the bias toward UT players that ST has. There are better options out there.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 08:14 AM
The Spurs have never shown the bias toward UT players that ST has. There are better options out there.

SpursTalk is still obsessed with Mo Bamba.

exstatic
06-09-2023, 08:44 AM
With 32 picks in the next 7 drafts, we no longer need to pick thru other team's garbage cans.

south side spur
06-09-2023, 10:43 AM
With 32 picks in the next 7 drafts, we no longer need to pick thru other team's garbage cans.

Is Hayes trash? That’s a little hyperbolic but I agree with your overall viewpoint. We’re in great position for the foreseeable future so no need to throw money away. I’m definitely not saying to offer Hayes a $100 million contract. I was thinking a Collins type offer. What was that 6-7 million a year? I still believe the Spurs can find value out there like they did with Collins. “Failed” lottery reclamation projects who could still develop and contribute in the right situation. If not with Hayes then maybe some other project.