https://i.imgur.com/WYsNtcB.jpg

Brandon Clarke

School: Gonzaga
Position: PF/C
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 215
Wingspan: 6-foot-10
Draft Range: 12 to 25

Why: Plays really hard. Plays with a really high basketball IQ on both ends of the court. On offense, makes the right passes, sets stout picks, has good hands, dribbles well for a big and finishes extremely well. Defensively, his elite athleticism shines. Jumps very well, has super fast reaction speed and has quick feet. As a result, he's a tremendous shot blocker for his size. Based solely on advanced stats, he's the most productive player in the draft this side of Zion Williamson.

Why Not: He'll be 23 years old by the start of training camp. How much of his dominance at Gonzaga was a result of him being a man among boys? Unlikely he'll ever be a shot creator and has no jumper. If he doesn't develop a jumper, he'll most likely be relegated to playing center on offense. Doesn't have the size, length or rebounding instincts to play full-time center on defense ... thus, a conundrum.

Spurs Fit: Mosty a finished product so could play right away. Fits nicely next to Aldridge but otherwise an awkward fit in the short-term.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: More Athletic, Higher Basketball IQ Malik Rose

Spurs Comparison - Floor: 6-foot-8 Nazr Mohammed

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brandon-clarke-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlKjoPTNFdY)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/brandon-clarke)
The Stepien Profile (https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/03/analyzing-brandon-clarkes-nba-potential/)

Chinook
05-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Love him. Think he's one of the uber prospects of the class, and I think there's a pretty good chance he's still around at 19. If PATFO think they can develop him, it's a no-brainer. His energy and defensive instincts alone are enough to warrant the pick. But I agree he could be pretty finished, and unlike White, you can't just hope his current play translates. Chip is a miracle worker, but there are guys like Splitter and Blair who tried to learn to shoot but didn't. I don't think teams would be stupid for passing on him really high, but I think there's a really good chance he's one of the five best players from this draft in a couple of years.

If White goes to the bench, he and Clarke could really excel together. Hell, I'd love to see what Brandon and Lonnie could do in the summer league.

cd021
05-06-2019, 02:10 AM
Much rather have PJ Washington tbh. More skilled offensive player; looks like he can develop into a stretch 4 with a solid post game and at 6'8 has a 7'3 wingspan and looks like a solid athlete. He is also 20 as opposed to Clarke who is almost 23

Down Under
05-06-2019, 04:06 AM
I don't think he'll be there at 19, nor his teammate Hachimura, though would love either

objective
05-06-2019, 06:03 AM
I like him, don't really forecast as a starter. Mini-Larry Nance with better defense. Jordan Bell-esque but a much better scorer with better touch, however even smaller.

Wasn't Roberson a college 4? I could see Clarke have to be a defensive SF/PF in the NBA.

His measurements might make him fall to the Spurs. If he's under 6-8 in shoes with a wingspan under 6-9, that combined with his age could sink him.

cd021
05-06-2019, 06:46 AM
I don't think he'll be there at 19, nor his teammate Hachimura, though would love either

Think Rui will go a few spots before but I would be surprised if he wasn't around at 19. Not all that high on him compared to Goga, PJ Washington and his teammate- Rui though.

cd021
05-06-2019, 06:50 AM
I like him, don't really forecast as a starter. Mini-Larry Nance with better defense. Jordan Bell-esque but a much better scorer with better touch, however even smaller.

Wasn't Roberson a college 4? I could see Clarke have to be a defensive SF/PF in the NBA.

His measurements might make him fall to the Spurs. If he's under 6-8 in shoes with a wingspan under 6-9, that combined with his age could sink him.

Good point on his measurements; for an undersized 4/5 height and wingspan matter alot.

If he's not even 6'8 with only a 6'10 wingspan then he is a really small NBA PF, and not a 3 that play the 4. His age may makes bad measurements worse.

picnroll
05-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Once you get past the first 4 or 5 picks draft projections have players all over the place. This is a player I hope falls to the Spurs.

kobyz
05-06-2019, 07:46 AM
I'll consider him for 29, for the 19 I want more than an undersized center...

R. DeMurre
05-06-2019, 07:52 AM
The most encouraging thing about Clarke's game is the growth he displayed between his sophomore and junior years after transferring to Gonzaga. Gonzaga plays a much stronger schedule than San Jose State, but Clark's productivity and efficiency both went up while playing there. The potential for him to be a wing defender is what makes him really interesting imo...

BillMc
05-06-2019, 08:08 AM

This

paperboy77
05-06-2019, 08:16 AM
They need to really make a run at him. Unfortunately I don't think 2 firsts plus Davis or Bryn gets this done. The guy was a beast highlight reel in the tourney. Big time hustler.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2019, 08:26 AM

why not use both picks on someone else

then promote guys on the torros a chance on the main spurs roster end of the bench seats... blair, eubanks, etc

Blackhaus
05-06-2019, 08:41 AM
He’s too much of a tweener tbh. 6 8 and can’t shoot, then put him in a line up with Murray, DM, and LMA? Yuck. Talk about no spacing

look_at_g_shred
05-06-2019, 08:48 AM
See him going #10 to Minny in almost every mock

picnroll
05-06-2019, 09:13 AM

He’d be a great fit for Minny next to Towns.

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 09:25 AM
so people don't want Hachimura cause he likes to shoot from midrange, but want a guy who's 2 years older who can't shoot at all?

DPG21920
05-06-2019, 10:39 AM
If he can be a better defensive version of Montrez Harrell we have seen how valuable that is even today.

Hell, look at Al Farouq Aminu; he’s still a struggling offensive player but provides a certain level of value when paired with the right players.

Blackhaus
05-06-2019, 01:28 PM
If he can be a better defensive version of Montrez Harrell we have seen how valuable that is even today.

Hell, look at Al Farouq Aminu; he’s still a struggling offensive player but provides a certain level of value when paired with the right players.

those 2 players have nothing in common. Aminu floats aroun the perimeter and slashes a tiny bit while Harrell lives down low and playes straight playground ball. I fail to see the similarities between the two nor between them and clarke

kobyz
05-06-2019, 01:38 PM
He's like a smaller, less strong, older Bam Adebayo

cd021
05-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Him in the top 10 is laughable to me, Minnesota would be a silly for taking him that early.

He is a 23 year old big that relies heavily on athletism and is only 6'8 with a moderate wingspan. Washington is a better player in my opinion, 2 years younger, long arms, good athlete, more skilled, with potiential to be an inside-outside threat and a good defender.

cd021
05-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Don't like the Aminu comp, Aminu is a 3/4 but mostly a 4 that can rebound pretty well and shoot the 3 at a slightly above average percentage and a moderate amount of attempts and is a good defender.

I don't think Clarke will be capable of defending the wing or hitting 3s despite being a similar height (he may be shorter and having a much shorter wingspan) someone compared him to Nance Jr. but better defensively and shorter, that is probably a better comp.

pad300
05-07-2019, 02:41 PM
In college he was a C (effectively), but he doesn't have the size for that in the NBA (yeah, Draymond is shorter, but has a significantly bigger wingspan, as well as being much heavier). Clarke has, however, the athleticism to play the 3 in the NBA (seriously, he's freaky), where he'd be a big a big 3, or an acceptable sized 4. The question is how much can he develop his perimeter skills necessary. Everyone acknowledges he works hard, and is a character guy, but he is older and hasn't got the skills necessary yet. At a minimum to be more than a backup, he needs a jumper... There are positive signs, for discussion, see

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/draft-notes-easy-case-brandon-clarke/
and
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/03/runners-touch-shooting-development-addendum-brandon-clarke/

He'd be a strong pick, IMO, at 19. If we can get him at 29, that's gravy.

phxspurfan
05-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Pass

DPG21920
05-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Don't like the Aminu comp, Aminu is a 3/4 but mostly a 4 that can rebound pretty well and shoot the 3 at a slightly above average percentage and a moderate amount of attempts and is a good defender.

I don't think Clarke will be capable of defending the wing or hitting 3s despite being a similar height (he may be shorter and having a much shorter wingspan) someone compared him to Nance Jr. but better defensively and shorter, that is probably a better comp.

Yeah - that was confusing. Was not necessarily trying to comp his game to Aminu but make a point that you can have players with some limited offensive game still make an impact. I think Harrell is a more apt comparison and it seems like Clarke could at least have an impact like that.

Is that good enough? Maybe, but with no shot or dribble ability, if you are that active on defense and the glass and can finish at the rim when setup/rolling, then you can still be productive.

NickiRasgo
05-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Pass

RC_Drunkford
05-07-2019, 06:12 PM
In college he was a C (effectively), but he doesn't have the size for that in the NBA (yeah, Draymond is shorter, but has a significantly bigger wingspan, as well as being much heavier). Clarke has, however, the athleticism to play the 3 in the NBA (seriously, he's freaky), where he'd be a big a big 3, or an acceptable sized 4. The question is how much can he develop his perimeter skills necessary. Everyone acknowledges he works hard, and is a character guy, but he is older and hasn't got the skills necessary yet. At a minimum to be more than a backup, he needs a jumper... There are positive signs, for discussion, see

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/draft-notes-easy-case-brandon-clarke/
and
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/03/runners-touch-shooting-development-addendum-brandon-clarke/

He'd be a strong pick, IMO, at 19. If we can get him at 29, that's gravy.

Very interesting article tbh. He seems to be the enforcer, high energy spark that this team is lacking. Also him being on a rookie contract approaching his prime and being on his 2nd contract during his prime would be quite an adavantage if his game translates and he can be an All-Defensive type player. He'd be a nice pick up at 29, not sure if I want him at 19

PennSpur
05-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Yes, getting a guy projected in the late lottery at 29 would be a "nice pickup." Probably not realistic though.

Probably my favorite player in the draft, but Clarke is not going to play the 3. He has neither the shot nor the handle to come close to that.

Closest comp to me is a better Larry Nance Jr.

ZeusWillJudge
05-07-2019, 07:24 PM
I talked about this in the general 2019 Draft thread, but it still seems like nobody knows about it:

Clarke spent his first two years at SJSU, and his shooting stroke was a horror show. Not just bad - really, really bad. His coach left because of allegations of discrimination (which were mostly bullshit), and Clarke transferred to Gonzaga because of their reputation for player development.

Here's the part that has made me skeptical of him. In between SJSU and Gonzaga, he started rebuilding his shooting stroke on his own. Like a full tear-down and rebuild. That's usually not a good idea to do without a good shooting coach. First because you need someone else looking at you. More importantly, because if the player knew the right things to do they probably wouldn't have a terrible stroke to begin with. DIY rebuilds tend to leave a guy with half-assed mechanics and a stroke that breaks down under pressure.

A couple of friends who are big Zaga fans say that the Bulldogs' coaches spent a lot of time with him, and that he really worked hard and focused on getting it right. His FT% improved a bunch, and so did his 2P% (although some of that is just from getting more close-range shots). That's the good news. The bad news is that he's still a bad 3P shooter. Not only that, but he pretty much won't take them. He only shot 15 3-pointers in 37 games this season. But that's still up from the 3 he attempted the year before. He's not a 3P shooter. Let it soak in... he is not a 3P shooter.

The way I see him, he's only got one possible role in the NBA, and that's as a small-ball 4. If that seems like a priority for this roster, then I guess he makes sense. I like the kid - I just don't see how the Spurs can spend a pick on what he brings to the table.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Has spurs talk ever been right about a draft prospect tbh?

Chinook
05-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Has spurs talk ever been right about a draft prospect tbh?

What do you mean? I got my guy last year. So if you're asking if we ever correctly say you they're going to get, that does happen. Happened in 2011 too with Bertans. If you mean do we ever pick prospects who end up being good players, Harrell was a guy I really liked in 2015. I think I've been acquitted of that, though I hated the Milutinov pick and Nik could end up making me look foolish for that.

TheGreatYacht
05-08-2019, 02:59 AM
Would trade both of our picks to move up and get this guy. He's complete defensively.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-08-2019, 11:12 AM
What do you mean? I got my guy last year. So if you're asking if we ever correctly say you they're going to get, that does happen. Happened in 2011 too with Bertans. If you mean do we ever pick prospects who end up being good players, Harrell was a guy I really liked in 2015. I think I've been acquitted of that, though I hated the Milutinov pick and Nik could end up making me look foolish for that.

How about both lol has spurs talk ever been correct about how a prospect is gonna pan out and has spurs talk ever called the player the spurs drafted.

look_at_g_shred
05-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Can we get a PJ Washington thread?

BWS-1994
05-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Can we get a PJ Washington thread?

:tu

Chinook
05-08-2019, 08:18 PM
We should have a PJ thread in the Think Tank if timvp wants to pull it over. Washington was a prospect last year.

timvp
05-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Ouch. Clarke's wingspan only measured 6-foot-8 at the combine.

Does that cause any second thoughts for the Clarke fans?

R. DeMurre
05-15-2019, 04:30 PM

That is surprising... an article on The Stepien estimated it to be 7'. He doesn't look short-armed in the way Zion does. Interesting find. Where are you finding these numbers?

R. DeMurre
05-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Oh, I found it: https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-2019%20combine-results-wingspan-vertical-leap-williamson-barrett-morant/1ud6rkg3znj9l1oahlqumfbx5k

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Oh, I found it: https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-2019%20combine-results-wingspan-vertical-leap-williamson-barrett-morant/1ud6rkg3znj9l1oahlqumfbx5k

Thanks for the drop!

Taco Fall 8'2" wingspan!!! Damn! That's gotta be a record for the combine.

I'm hella excited about this

DPG21920
05-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Degoat
05-15-2019, 08:58 PM
Nice, him having a small wingspan might make him drop some in the draft

ZeusWillJudge
05-15-2019, 09:02 PM

People here telling me that the combine only measures people without shoes now. :nope But at least it looks like they are measuring everyone both ways.

Just for comparison, PJ Washington was 6'8" with shoes, and had a 8'11" standing reach. Five inches of standing reach is kind of a big deal.

Edit: BTW - Lonnie Walker was only 3/4" taller with shoes than without in his combine measurements. Some guys have been 1 3/4" taller with shoes (maybe more).

CGD
05-15-2019, 09:13 PM

Starting to sound like a Julius Randle type

cd021
05-15-2019, 09:45 PM

I wasn't a fan of him being taken at 19 before that measurement and certainly not one now. He's a 6'8, 23 year old C with an average arm span and limited offensive skills.

He could still be an above average defender in the NBA but seems reliant on athletism, would be worried what he'd look like at 30 or 32 if he doesn't develop more offensive skills.

timvp
05-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Starting to sound like a Julius Randle type

Randle has a seven-foot wingspan. Clarke has a Matt Bonner wingspan.

cd021
05-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Yahoo had him falling to us at 19 and Grant Williams at 29. I think I done with Yahoo. :lol.

I want Washington, Bitidze, or Rui fall to 19, and Roby at 29- personally.

Degoat
05-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Yahoo had him falling to us at 19 and Grant Williams at 29. I think I done with Yahoo. :lol.

I want Washington, Bitidze, or Rui fall to 19, and Roby at 29- personally.

I wouldn’t mind any of those guys tbh :flag: I follow the mock drafts too but they’re never reliable when it comes to how the draft will go down lol

DPG21920
05-15-2019, 11:58 PM

One of the more surprising combine measurements that I can remember recently. People who “know’ love Clarke. This was a gut punch I think.

Chinook
05-16-2019, 12:19 AM

Nah, I think someone in this thread already pointed out his wingspan. This isn't a surprise. If we were talking about Clarke trying to become a good defender, the lack of length would be a real hindrance. But dude can already play at that end. He's not going to be a Clint Capela--like center, and I really think a lot of folks believe that's his path to the league. But today's four isn't that big. With Clarke's combination of instincts and athleticism, I think he can overcome his length.

timvp
05-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Nah, I think someone in this thread already pointed out his wingspan. This isn't a surprise. If we were talking about Clarke trying to become a good defender, the lack of length would be a real hindrance. But dude can already play at that end. He's not going to be a Clint Capela--like center, and I really think a lot of folks believe that's his path to the league. But today's four isn't that big. With Clarke's combination of instincts and athleticism, I think he can overcome his length.

Disagree in that it wasn't a surprise. While everyone knew he wasn't long, a 6-foot-8 wingspan has to hurt his stock. And that 8-foot-6 standing reach might hurt even more.

I scrolled through 17 years of combine results and there was no big who made it in the league with a wingspan that short. And even the few bigs who had a wingspan less than 6-foot-11 had much better standing reach numbers. Hell, Bonner's wingspan was only 6-foot-8.75 but he had a standing reach of 8-foot-9.5 -- three and a half inches higher than Clarke. Other examples of short-armed bigs: Trevor Booker 6-foot-9.75 wingspan, 8-foot-10 standing reach. Kelly Olynyk 6-foot-9.75 wingspan, 9-foot standing reach.

I'm not saying Clarke is doomed -- the league has changed, obviously, and theoretically allows for bigs who can mask a lack of length with mobility -- but it has to make any team that is considering drafting him think twice, IMO.

DPG21920
05-16-2019, 12:43 AM
In that case it seems like a Spurs guy. Someone who has something that made him fall where then becomes a value.

NickiRasgo
05-16-2019, 12:50 AM
6'8" (w/ shoes), 207 lbs., 6'8" wingspan, 8'6" standing reach, 23 years old, can't shoot for 19th pick? Pass pass pass.
Length does matter more now in today's phasing of the game.
I'm not saying he ain't good but I rather have someone who has a better potential for 19th pick.

Chinook
05-16-2019, 01:15 AM
Disagree in that it wasn't a surprise. While everyone knew he wasn't long, a 6-foot-8 wingspan has to hurt his stock. And that 8-foot-6 standing reach might hurt even more.

I scrolled through 17 years of combine results and there was no big who made it in the league with a wingspan that short. And even the few bigs who had a wingspan less than 6-foot-11 had much better standing reach numbers. Hell, Bonner's wingspan was only 6-foot-8.75 but he had a standing reach of 8-foot-9.5 -- three and a half inches higher than Clarke. Other examples of short-armed bigs: Trevor Booker 6-foot-9.75 wingspan, 8-foot-10 standing reach. Kelly Olynyk 6-foot-9.75 wingspan, 9-foot standing reach.

I'm not saying Clarke is doomed -- the league has changed, obviously, and theoretically allows for bigs who can mask a lack of length with mobility -- but it has to make any team that is considering drafting him think twice, IMO.

I don't think historical data on bigs will be as relevant in the future compared to that for perimeter players. The league is getting smaller. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great for Clarke to have measured at seven-foot plus, but he manages to be an elite shot-blocker and finisher despite apparently playing against bigger guys his whole career. I get that it's one more legit criticism to lump on Clarke's plate that was already full due to his age and lack of shooting. It makes him falling to 19 or even 29 way more possible. But not for a minute do I think he won't be able to overcome it. His impact will probably be heavily tied to his athleticism, but I think he's still going to pay huge dividends on that first contract.

Still, Clarke probably won't be helped by the combine unless he shows off new skills. We already believe that he's athletic as hell, so him crushing those numbers won't help, and him doing anything less than that is probably a ship-sinker. He had a great year and a legit amount of hype going on. If guys like Hachimura and Thybulle can pull out, Clarke probably should have.

slick'81
05-16-2019, 01:18 AM
Alot of mocks have us taking this guy

Jonnyblue19
05-16-2019, 03:16 AM
Alot of mocks have us taking this guy

Spurs love older players. So at least one year in Austin he will then be 24 at the earliest before he says any playing time with the Spurs.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2019, 05:44 AM
I'd be disappointed if we take him with the 19th pick. Would much rather have Kabengele

picnroll
05-16-2019, 07:08 AM
Clarke doesn’t have length but in college he has demonstrated elite reading position and movement, great elevation and phenomenally quick ability to get off the ground and which I think compensated for a fair amount of length. I also think that given the improvement on the mechanics of his shot last year there’s continued room for improvement. Lots of pundits have him going to Minny and that would be a nice combination with Towns.

pad300
05-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Being that small a wingspan is a surprise, but it makes an even bigger deal of his athleticism and defensive instincts... As I said before, if you think he can develop a reasonable jumper, he looks a strong prospect at the 3 or small ball 4. If you don't, he's at best second string 4/5.

This news makes him more likely to fall to us, for certain. If anyone can develop his shot, Chip probably has the best chance...

Dennis the Menace
05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Definitely prefer drafting at #19 in the mold of Murray/Lonnie with incredibly high ceiling. This guy doesn’t fit that

kobyz
05-16-2019, 12:11 PM

yeah, out of the first round!

timvp
05-16-2019, 03:21 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1129106224824410112

Looks to be on his way to being the best athlete at the combine. Not too much of a surprise; should keep him somewhere in the middle of the first round.

paperboy77
05-16-2019, 03:25 PM
This guy would be the guy I’d pick at our spot. Dude was a beast in the tournament.

BatManu20
05-16-2019, 03:27 PM

6'8" 207 lbs w/ a 6'8 wingspan at the PF position is not good... and he can't shoot for shit. I liked his Defense and jumping ability at Zaga, but those measurements and lack of shooting are not something I'm yearning for if I'm an NBA team.

Kurgan
05-16-2019, 03:35 PM
6'8" 207 lbs w/ a 6'8 wingspan at the PF position is not good... and he can't shoot for shit. I liked his Defense and jumping ability at Zaga, but those measurements and lack of shooting are not something I'm yearning for if I'm an NBA team.

Yeah, his age is also an issue. By the time he's done learning the ropes in Austin, he'll be 25 when he joins the main team. Might as well take 19 year old Nassir Little instead - just as much of an athlete but with a legit wingspan and youth on his side. Lot less skilled but Spurs are nowhere near contention anyway so you might as well use the next couple years developing someone while Demar and Aldridge are wasting everybody's time with their annual post-season chokejobs. Their contracts expire in two years which will allow him to join the main roster.

timvp
05-16-2019, 03:45 PM
So far Clarke has posted the best standing vert, max vert, lane agility time and second best shuttle run.

Damn good athlete status: Confirmed

BatManu20
05-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Yeah, his age is also an issue. By the time he's done learning the ropes in Austin, he'll be 25 when he joins the main team. Might as well take 19 year old Nassir Little instead - just as much of an athlete but with a legit wingspan and youth on his side. Lot less skilled but Spurs are nowhere near contention anyway so you might as well use the next couple years developing someone while Demar and Aldridge are wasting everybody's time with their annual post-season chokejobs. Their contracts expire in two years which will allow him to join the main roster.

Little won't be available at 19.. He's a top-18 pick for sure.

Immortal Spur
05-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Yeah I agree, i don't think it's a good fit with our team to say the least.

timvp
05-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Interestingly, he's being listed at the combine as a small forward on all the paperwork. Not even a SF/PF hybrid.

Sounds like wishful thinking unless he has revamped his game in the last couple months.

Immortal Spur
05-16-2019, 04:54 PM
If he had any kind of range he'd be pretty interesting

SpaceCoast Spursfan
05-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Interestingly, he's being listed at the combine as a small forward on all the paperwork. Not even a SF/PF hybrid.

Sounds like wishful thinking unless he has revamped his game in the last couple months.

Sounds ambitious but if you are a team that thinks he can develop a decent jumper and play the 3 then he moves up the big board quite a few spots. If I was scout I would have to see something at the combine that I didn't see at Gonzaga, granted I haven't watched a lot of him. The games I did see he looked a lot closer to a C than SF

CGD
05-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Noted; just observing that the knock on Randle translating was his wingspan:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2014/1/2/5258332/julius-randle-nba-draft-prospect-2013

ZeusWillJudge
05-16-2019, 07:36 PM

They know he hasn't re-tooled anything. It's what I said about him from the beginning - he's a PF that's too small to play PF at the next level. His bounce will help, but he's still going to get moved off his spot constantly. So they're marketing him as a SF because that's the body he's got. At the very best, there's a long learning curve there.

I liked Kyle Anderson a lot better as a 4 than Clarke.

itzsoweezee
05-16-2019, 11:15 PM
He had ridiculous combine results. No way he's dropping out of the lottery

cd021
05-16-2019, 11:46 PM
Spurs love older players. So at least one year in Austin he will then be 24 at the earliest before he says any playing time with the Spurs.

Spurs actually usually draft 1st or second year players.

Blair-Sophmore
Cojo-Freshman
Cold Nephew- Sophmore
Anderson-Sophmore
Murray-Freshman
Walker-Freshman

George Hill and White were seniors but they usually take a young player, put him in the G league for a year for seasoning and then the second year is usually when they get some minutes and then year 3 is when they really crack the rotation.

cd021
05-17-2019, 12:01 AM

Man, I didn't think he was a lottery pick before but it's crazy to think he'd go even in the teens. He was very productive in college but there are a number of concerning issues that teams are going to have to overlook.

R. DeMurre
05-17-2019, 02:38 AM
Clarke is really a fascinating case. He's got the agility, speed, and athleticism of a truly great wing player, but isn't a wing. He blocked shots & rebounded like a center this year, and put up better advanced stats than anyone outside of Zion while still having a relatively modest usage rate on a very successful team... he has the height of a small forward, the wingspan of a shooting guard, and the mindset of a center. But his energy and motor are in the mode of Rodman, Draymond Green, Manu... This guy's career going forward is like the basketball equivalent of a great mystery novel.

exstatic
05-17-2019, 07:03 AM

His measurements weren’t ridiculous, at least not in a good way. Six eight by six eight. And no real perimeter skills.

exstatic
05-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Clarke is really a fascinating case. He's got the agility, speed, and athleticism of a truly great wing player, but isn't a wing. He blocked shots & rebounded like a center this year, and put up better advanced stats than anyone outside of Zion while still having a relatively modest usage rate on a very successful team... he has the height of a small forward, the wingspan of a shooting guard, and the mindset of a center. But his energy and motor are in the mode of Rodman, Draymond Green, Manu... This guy's career going forward is like the basketball equivalent of a great mystery novel.

I think teams won’t know what to do with him, anymore than Thybulle. There are some weird fucking players in this draft.

pad300
05-17-2019, 08:08 AM
I think teams won’t know what to do with him, anymore than Thybulle. There are some weird fucking players in this draft.

Yeah, some will do really well and some will bust. Not just in game style, but some real physical outliers.
Oversized: Tacko Fall
Skinny and Too Tall : Bol Bol
Wide Loads : Zion, Grant Williams
Orangutan : Talen Horton Tucker
Freak Athlete : Clarke

The trick is figuring out which ones are going to float... before you throw them in the deep end.

Seventyniner
05-17-2019, 08:08 AM

I think that benefits the smarter FOs. It will be telling to see which teams take these players that don't fit traditional molds.

ZeusWillJudge
05-17-2019, 02:21 PM
They say Clarke played well in the scrimmage. Then I watched an interview video where he said that he is going to be able to guard any player on the floor. Later he said, "Obviously I can dunk on anybody." First taste of freedom, I guess. I wonder if he'll be saying the same things in November?
He's made himself some pretty big shoes to fill.

R. DeMurre
05-17-2019, 03:05 PM
The discussion between Clarke & his people before the combine must have been interesting. They had to know his wingspan measurement would raise some eyebrows, but I guess they were banking on the wow factor of his vertical leap and agility... I wonder how often teams ask for a measurement in interviews with players who have skipped the combine?

R. DeMurre
05-18-2019, 01:46 PM
Clarke must be causing major anxiety to GMs all over the league right now. If he's bust, people will say "How the hell did you draft a power foward with a 6'8" wingspan??" If he succeeds, people will say, "how the hell do you pass on a guy who led the entire NCAA in FG%, blocks, offensive rating, defensive rating, and win shares??"

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2019-leaders.html

Chinook
05-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Because of Donovan Mitchell's (and to a smaller extent the success of White, Hart and Brogdon), teams are probably more likely to forgive Clarke's age than ever. But that's just one of the three major red flags he has. He really needs/needed to come in and show some shooting or advanced handles if he's going to overcome is lack of size. I think the right team could still get a lot of value out of him, but most of those teams don't have lotto picks. I think Clarke could go anywhere after the top six or so, but I do expect him to fall far enough to where the Spurs could make a legit play at him. Even if they don't want him, maybe they could get a team to trade up for him. I have to think that there are some GMs out there that like Brandon as much as I do.

RVSTX
05-18-2019, 03:55 PM
I really like this kid...but how long can he rely on his athleticism? i hope he shows he can shoot the 3 ball, and play small forward...

exstatic
05-18-2019, 04:11 PM
I really like this kid...but how long can he rely on his athleticism? i hope he shows he can shoot the 3 ball, and play small forward...

That’s how GMs lose their jobs: hoping that a player can both make the jump to the NBA and acquire magical new positional skills.

pad300
05-19-2019, 08:32 AM
That’s how GMs lose their jobs: hoping that a player can both make the jump to the NBA and acquire magical new positional skills.

Yep, but it's also a decent way to hit home runs, some examples: Kawhi going from PF skills in college to a SF, Westbrook becoming a (real) PG's (Darren Collison was "the" PG on UCLA).

exstatic
05-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Yep, but it's also a decent way to hit home runs, some examples: Kawhi going from PF skills in college to a SF, Westbrook becoming a (real) PG's (Darren Collison was "the" PG on UCLA).

Well, Westbrook was drafted EXTREMELY high, so he really only had to make the positional jump, and Kawhi dropped into the best development program in the NBA. I’d call those outliers. NBA draft history is littered with failed combo forwards and combo guards.

R. DeMurre
05-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Were it not for Zion, people would be talking about Clarke's statistical impact/advanced stats as historic. They're better than any other college player's #s of the last decade. He shows especially well in Box plus/minus & win shares per 40 min, two categories that are littered with future NBA players-- including surprises like Draymond Green & Derrick White-- as opposed to many other categories, like ppg, which are more likely to be filled with players now in Europe or China. Granted, Clarke was older than Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Karl-Anthony Towns, or Ben Simmons, but his numbers demolish theirs, and make me believe that at worst he could be a superior bench player who adds value as a tweener athletic freak who gets results despite some classic red flags...

timvp
05-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Were it not for Zion, people would be talking about Clarke's statistical impact/advanced stats as historic. They're better than any other college player's #s of the last decade. He shows especially well in Box plus/minus & win shares per 40 min, two categories that are littered with future NBA players-- including surprises like Draymond Green & Derrick White-- as opposed to many other categories, like ppg, which are more likely to be filled with players now in Europe or China. Granted, Clarke was older than Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Karl-Anthony Towns, or Ben Simmons, but his numbers demolish theirs, and make me believe that at worst he could be a superior bench player who adds value as a tweener athletic freak who gets results despite some classic red flags...

Brandon Clarke is like a 5-foot-8 college quarterback who shattered all records. The GM who picks him will ultimately either end up looking like a genius or an idiot. IMO, a GM with shaky job security can't pick him because if he ends up as a guard-sized center, it will look like a laughable pick quickly.

R. DeMurre
05-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Brandon Clarke is like a 5-foot-8 college quarterback who shattered all records. The GM who picks him will ultimately either end up looking like a genius or an idiot. IMO, a GM with shaky job security can't pick him because if he ends up as a guard-sized center, it will look like a laughable pick quickly.

Yeah, it's a huge risk for someone picking in the lottery, but more of a potential high reward pick as it gets closer to the end of the first round. The thought of him on Golden State, Houston, or OKC is a little scary though.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Clarke is 6-8, not 6-3. Hell, he'd be a comfortable small-forward pick 20 years ago even with his current lack of shooting. I think people expecting him to come in and be his college self against better players are in for a surprise. He needs to develop modern-PF skills for sure to really make an impact. But his size at PF doesn't bother me at all, since most fours don't post up anymore. At 6-8 with his athleticism, he should be able to check the 6-8 and 6-9 guys he sees on the perimeter as is.

picnroll
05-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Clarke would also make a lot of GMs look bad if he went late and coul develop a three point shot. He showed steady improvement on his FT% shooting nearly 70% his last year. Not inconceivable he could become a Bruce Bowen or better level offensive threat. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he were the Spurs pick.

timvp
05-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Clarke is 6-8, not 6-3. Hell, he'd be a comfortable small-forward pick 20 years ago even with his current lack of shooting. I think people expecting him to come in and be his college self against better players are in for a surprise. He needs to develop modern-PF skills for sure to really make an impact. But his size at PF doesn't bother me at all, since most fours don't post up anymore. At 6-8 with his athleticism, he should be able to check the 6-8 and 6-9 guys he sees on the perimeter as is.

His height is fine. The issue is his 8-foot-6 standing reach and that he weighs 207 pounds. That's shorter and lighter than Danny Green :lol

I mean, I still think he's a good prospect and I'd be really tempted at 19 but he's definitely unique. The league is getting smaller and it's changing but he'd instantly become the smallest full-time "big" in the league.

DPG21920
05-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Is Draymond offensively not a fair or realistic comparison? I’m less worried about him figuring things out defensively

cd021
05-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Clarke would also make a lot of GMs look bad if he went late and coul develop a three point shot. He showed steady improvement on his FT% shooting nearly 70% his last year. Not inconceivable he could become a Bruce Bowen or better level offensive threat. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he were the Spurs pick.

Yeah, but him hitting 70% from the line doesn't project out to him hitting 3's at a decent clip. His game seems to be screen and roll or finishing lobs at the basket, I don't see him expanding much more than hitting mid range jumpers.

pad300
05-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Is Draymond offensively not a fair or realistic comparison? I’m less worried about him figuring things out defensively

Offensively, Dray has many more NBA level skills: better passing, better (illegal) screen setting, a more demonstrated jump shot ( his best season to date was 38.8% from 3 on 3.2/game. The three has definitevely degenerated on him though).

pad300
05-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but him hitting 70% from the line doesn't project out to him hitting 3's at a decent clip. His game seems to be screen and roll or finishing lobs at the basket, I don't see him expanding much more than hitting mid range jumpers.

Tankathon projects his NBA 3% as .319. IMO, what that really means is there is a 50-50 shot. He'll either end up shooting very few of them at like 28%, or a lot of them at 37%...

cd021
05-19-2019, 05:13 PM

We've seen players who rely heavily on athleticism decline drastically by the time they reach 30. Say he doesn't develop a 3pt shot and he can't play the 3 (because there is nothing to suggest that he can) how does he look in 6 seasons when he's 29 an still has the same offense skills he has now but is starting to decline physically?

timvp
05-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Is Draymond offensively not a fair or realistic comparison?

That's pretty unrealistic, tbh. Draymond was a great passer in college, was a good three-point shooter and obviously had a great basketball IQ. Clarke at Gonzaga was mostly a garbage man on offense in terms of taking advantage of broken plays, good touch within ten feet of the rim, overwhelming less athletic players -- albeit with historically great efficiency. Not a passer, shooter, dribbler or any perimeter skills.

In the NBA, his best bet is to become a standstill three-point shooter like Roberson or Bowen while mixing in points in transition and duck-ins in halfcourt sets. Anything more than that would be miraculous, IMO. And even that is aiming high because he hasn't shown to be a three-point shooter and his current shooting stroke doesn't give a whole lot of hope.

cd021
05-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Tankathon projects his NBA 3% as .319. IMO, what that really means is there is a 50-50 shot. He'll either end up shooting very few of them at like 28%, or a lot of them at 37%...
So they believe that he'll either be a bad shooter on limited attempts or a good shooter and a 3pt bomber? Not sure that makes any sense.

pad300
05-19-2019, 05:40 PM
So they believe that he'll either be a bad shooter on limited attempts or a good shooter and a 3pt bomber? Not sure that makes any sense.

They are giving you one number, so it's presumably the center of what they think is the distribution of possible futures. The problem with such a projection of a phenomena like that is the distribution that develops is going to be double humped (bimodal if we are being fancy, https://www.statisticshowto.datasciencecentral.com/what-is-a-bimodal-distribution/ ) - one peak being cases where his shot doesn't develop = a peak centered on approximately 28%, and one of cases where it does = a peak centered on approximately 37%.

R. DeMurre
05-19-2019, 05:48 PM
His height is fine. The issue is his 8-foot-6 standing reach and that he weighs 207 pounds. That's shorter and lighter than Danny Green :lol

I mean, I still think he's a good prospect and I'd be really tempted at 19 but he's definitely unique. The league is getting smaller and it's changing but he'd instantly become the smallest full-time "big" in the league.

Interesting that Zion's standing reach is reportedly only 8'7"... He really appears to be short armed, but has a greater wingspan, much wider back, and larger hands than Clarke. There are some unusual measurements this year for sure...

One photo I've found of them together though appears to show Clarke with a longer standing reach: https://dancingwithnoah.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/bc-z2.jpg

DPG21920
05-19-2019, 08:01 PM
That's pretty unrealistic, tbh. Draymond was a great passer in college, was a good three-point shooter and obviously had a great basketball IQ. Clarke at Gonzaga was mostly a garbage man on offense in terms of taking advantage of broken plays, good touch within ten feet of the rim, overwhelming less athletic players -- albeit with historically great efficiency. Not a passer, shooter, dribbler or any perimeter skills.

In the NBA, his best bet is to become a standstill three-point shooter like Roberson or Bowen while mixing in points in transition and duck-ins in halfcourt sets. Anything more than that would be miraculous, IMO. And even that is aiming high because he hasn't shown to be a three-point shooter and his current shooting stroke doesn't give a whole lot of hope.

It’s wild to me how many conflicting takes there are in this draft. I admit I suck at projecting college to nba, but some of the guys I trust that do well love guys like Grant Williams and Clarke. Then some are really skeptical.

I thought Clarke was supposed to be a good passer with a good IQ, so didn’t know if his handle realistically could improve enough to initiate. Sounds like no.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 08:26 PM
It’s wild to me how many conflicting takes there are in this draft. I admit I suck at projecting college to nba, but some of the guys I trust that do well love guys like Grant Williams and Clarke. Then some are really skeptical.

I thought Clarke was supposed to be a good passer with a good IQ, so didn’t know if his handle realistically could improve enough to initiate. Sounds like no.

I think he has good handles ... for a center. In the very little I've seen of him putting the ball in the floor, he didn't look all that comfortable. I don't think he's a better dribbler than Danny Green for example. I could be wrong on that, but I wouldn't be too excited about him playing anything besides the four offensively.

DPG21920
05-19-2019, 08:31 PM
I think he has good handles ... for a center. In the very little I've seen of him putting the ball in the floor, he didn't look all that comfortable. I don't think he's a better dribbler than Danny Green for example. I could be wrong on that, but I wouldn't be too excited about him playing anything besides the four offensively.

Gotcha thanks - I am torn. I really liked him but all these guys make me nervous. Basically, hope they can pull a power move and just land Hunter :lol

cd021
05-19-2019, 09:46 PM

I worry about both of their game's, and considering that they have been consistently mocked to go to the Spurs, i am more uneasy about this draft than others.

Of the two, I think Williams is more likely to succeed IF he can become a cable 3pt shooter, he looked comfortable pump faking and attacking close outs in college, if he can knock down an open 3 or attack the opposing big who runs out to challenge him I think that is a capable offensive player. He could exploit 3s who play the 4 in post ups and has a good looking jumper.

I do wander if he will be a full-time starter though and the thought of Clarke being a full-time starting center gives me a lot of pause. I still think Washington Jr. Is the best 4/5 I've seen slated to be in the 11-20 range though.

R. DeMurre
05-21-2019, 07:43 PM
Zion's Standing Reach is listed as 1" longer than Clarke's... hmmm...https://dancingwithnoah.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/bc-z2.jpg

rjv
05-22-2019, 12:15 PM
from what i'm reading on this site (granted it's ST which, collectively, has a track record that would be the equivalent to a third tier real NBA GM) i can't see why clarke wouldn't be available at the 19th pick. but i also can't see why we'd want him to be.

Maddog
05-22-2019, 02:11 PM
from what i'm reading on this site (granted it's ST which, collectively, has a track record that would be the equivalent to a third tier real NBA GM) i can't see why clarke wouldn't be available at the 19th pick. but i also can't see why we'd want him to be.
How can you say that
I see multiple posts from people saying they the Spurs missed out on this person

Seriously, I really enjoy TMVP evals. Given that a high percentage of picks never amount to anything it's refreshing to to see a more "critical" and even skeptical eval

rjv
05-22-2019, 02:23 PM
How can you say that
I see multiple posts from people saying they the Spurs missed out on this person

Seriously, I really enjoy TMVP evals. Given that a high percentage of picks never amount to anything it's refreshing to to see a more "critical" and even skeptical eval

that's why i wrote "collectively". for every knowledgeable and articulate ST poster there are too many ST posters who are the exact opposite of that. it's so bad that it's easier to remember the solid posters such as timvp (and a few other solid posters whose insight keeps me a regular ST member) than it is to remember all the terrible ones.

that being said, i just don't know what to make of clarke. he's been analyzed so much on this site, and in so many different ways, that he sounds like nothing more than a "meh".

kobyz
05-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Draymond playmaking is Magic Johnson level!

ZeusWillJudge
05-22-2019, 10:03 PM

2008 was a pretty strong draft class. But go back and look at how wrong, in general, a lot of teams got it. Dragic at 45, DeAndre Jordan at 35. Even someone like Pekovic at 31 - 11 spots after Alexis Ajinca. The re-drafts of '08 are always a circus.

The Spurs have just done an amazing job of figuring it out, with all the low draft picks they've had.

rjv
05-23-2019, 10:04 AM
2008 was a pretty strong draft class. But go back and look at how wrong, in general, a lot of teams got it. Dragic at 45, DeAndre Jordan at 35. Even someone like Pekovic at 31 - 11 spots after Alexis Ajinca. The re-drafts of '08 are always a circus.

The Spurs have just done an amazing job of figuring it out, with all the low draft picks they've had.

i think jordan at 35 made sense at that time. he was a solid defender with zero outside game and a poor work ethic coming out of a&m. to his credit, he got his shit together and started working harder, although getting paired with CP3 in his prime was a gift. paul was able to maximize jordan's limited offensive range but outstanding athleticism.

timvp
05-23-2019, 01:54 PM
i think jordan at 35 made sense at that time. he was a solid defender with zero outside game and a poor work ethic coming out of a&m. to his credit, he got his shit together and started working harder, although getting paired with CP3 in his prime was a gift. paul was able to maximize jordan's limited offensive range but outstanding athleticism.

Main reason Jordan fell is he refused to workout for any team outside of the top ten. Once he fell out of that range, the freefall ensued. The Spurs liked him but they weren't even able to interview him before the draft.

ZeusWillJudge
05-23-2019, 03:08 PM

My comment was specifically about one comment DPG made - the ability to project college-to-NBA. I just knew that 2008 is one of those drafts that would look very different if people could project college-to-NBA. Everybody had the opportunity to watch Jordan in college. Every NBA team passed on him in the first round.

TIMVP pointed out below that Jordan refused to work out for anyone outside the Top 10. Those of us sitting out here never get the benefit of watching workouts, or listening in on interviews. But even NBA teams who do still get it wrong often enough. Considering where the Spurs have picked every year for a couple of decades, they are remarkably good at it.

rjv
05-23-2019, 04:35 PM
My comment was specifically about one comment DPG made - the ability to project college-to-NBA. I just knew that 2008 is one of those drafts that would look very different if people could project college-to-NBA. Everybody had the opportunity to watch Jordan in college. Every NBA team passed on him in the first round.

TIMVP pointed out below that Jordan refused to work out for anyone outside the Top 10. Those of us sitting out here never get the benefit of watching workouts, or listening in on interviews. But even NBA teams who do still get it wrong often enough. Considering where the Spurs have picked every year for a couple of decades, they are remarkably good at it.

i don't disagree with your primary point. i was just adding that there are some draft "surprises" that aren't as obvious a "how did so many teams miss on this guy" scenario with jordan being one of them. but, i agree that, more often than not, the spurs don't fall in that category of teams that missed out on a solid pick. there's a reason they get so much kudos from so many sources (ST notwithstanding).

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-23-2019, 05:34 PM
this dude scares me. Hopefully one of the bad teams that picks high grabs him before us.

timvp
05-27-2019, 02:58 AM
Clarke is weird in that you pretty much have to draft him if he free falls to 19 (he had a historically great season by every measure; analytics people would revolt if he's not picked) ... even though his fit isn't good. He can play next to Aldridge but that's about it. You can't play him next to Poeltl and the spacing dies if you play him in lineups alongside Murray and DeRozan.

It's highly likely he'll be capable of playing a role as a rookie -- but that role might be extremely specialized unless he drastically improves at least one of his perimeter skills. Right now, he's a Danny Green sized center with less perimeter skills than Poeltl.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 03:20 AM
Clarke is weird in that you pretty much have to draft him if he free falls to 19 (he had a historically great season by every measure; analytics people would revolt if he's not picked) ... even though his fit isn't good. He can play next to Aldridge but that's about it. You can't play him next to Poeltl and the spacing dies if you play him in lineups alongside Murray and DeRozan.

It's highly likely he'll be capable of playing a role as a rookie -- but that role might be extremely specialized unless he drastically improves at least one of his perimeter skills. Right now, he's a Danny Green sized center with less perimeter skills than Poeltl.

No way you should draft him at 19, you want player with more potential with that pick, you should not draft him over bigs like goga, fernando, mfiundu, bassey...

pad300
05-27-2019, 08:07 AM
No way you should draft him at 19, you want player with more potential with that pick, you should not draft him over bigs like goga, fernando, mfiundu, bassey...

If PATFO think he can transition to being a 3 offensively (ie playing on the perimeter, attacking off the dribble and jumpshots), you draft him at 19 as having as good potential as anybody in the draft (note he is almost certain to be capable of defending the 3 - his athleticism and defensive IQ are off the charts good). If you don't ... he's 29 at best.

JuneJive
06-15-2019, 06:35 AM
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/13/uniqueness-brandon-clarke/

His shot is getting there, but the physical limitations are concerning.

Overall, definetly a good pick. Especially @19

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-15-2019, 08:54 AM
He would be a high end role player and good quality for a 19th pick, but I doubt he will be available.

cd021
06-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Really hope he's gone by 19, don't want PATFO to be tempted.

R. DeMurre
06-15-2019, 01:54 PM
It's going to be so interesting to watch this guy's career... I can easily see him having a role playing impact, like Siakam or Draymond. The advanced stats are hugely in his favor, and the physical measurements are hugely against him.... In a modern day NBA obsessed with both of those factors, it presents such a difficult decision for GMs...

TDomination
06-17-2019, 10:07 AM
He could be the reason the spurs do not try to trade up in the draft

I wouldn’t mind

FireMicoHalili
06-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Guy is a tweener with a short wingspan. I dont get the hype but glad to be proven wrong. Same assessment for Grant Williams. Great college player, will most probably be severely limited at the next stage.

SpursDynasty85
06-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Spurs would be silly not to consider Clarke at 19. Depending who else is on the board, Clarke, if Chip and Pop think they can work on a suitable mid range for now, is a perfect fit to contribute right away on the Spurs. Apparently PFs like Bojan, Randle, Marcus Morris, and Tobias Harris will be in high demand are over priced while Clarke could play all 4 years on his rookie contract and pay for himself while preserving our contention the next 2 years with LMA and DD. He and Rudy are near perfect compliment for the PF slot. They will both bring different things to the table. Clarke more hustle, athleticism, and defense. Most mocks have Clarke going before 19 but this would match up with Spurs taking a safe pick at 29 for "fit" purposes or "future prospect" purposes and see who falls into their laps.

look_at_g_shred
06-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Top 10 IMHO

exstatic
06-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Top 10 IMHO

Tankathon and TheStepien have him at like 4 and 5. I'm not sure I'd pick him that high, even though his ceiling is high, but I think he's a great value anywhere after 10.

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Menace to Clarkeciety

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 07:50 PM
I am in. Again, after reading and reading and discussing and thinking, with 19 all I really want is someone who I know will be a plus (a big plus) at something.

He’s an A+ athlete with great defensive instincts and I can see him being a Shawn Marion. If that is the case, that is good with me. Im rooting for SA to get him.

DesignatedT
06-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Guy is a tweener with a short wingspan. I dont get the hype but glad to be proven wrong. Same assessment for Grant Williams. Great college player, will most probably be severely limited at the next stage.

Elite defender and athleticism. Two things the Spurs lack. He’s not perfect but nobody is at 19.

Chinook
06-17-2019, 08:30 PM
I wish people didn't constantly overlook how great he was at scoring inside last year. He wasn't just an elite defender. He was an elite offensive player too. There's zero reason why he wouldn't excel in PnRs as the roll-man or dunker. He's probably not going to be spreading the floor or making plays for others out the gate. But he'll have the chance to pick up with a few double-doubles his rookie season.

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 08:34 PM
I wish people didn't constantly overlook how great he was at scoring inside last year. He wasn't just an elite defender. He was an elite offensive player too. There's zero reason why he wouldn't excel in PnRs as the roll-man or dunker. He's probably not going to be spreading the floor or making plays for others out the gate. But he'll have the chance to pick up with a few double-doubles his rookie season.

This is true. Not sure if this was in reference to me, but my logic of knowing he will be really good at least at one thing was not to say he has no offensive skills. Was just explaining my logic why he’s in my top 3.

Chinook
06-17-2019, 08:47 PM
This is true. Not sure if this was in reference to me, but my logic of knowing he will be really good at least at one thing was not to say he has no offensive skills. Was just explaining my logic why he’s in my top 3.

It's not just your post. My point is that Clarke should be thought of as an elite defender, athlete and finisher. He should be able to come in and do most of what Poeltl does with him also adding mobility on both ends. He can't pass like Jakob can, but he can legit switch and stay on wings and bigs, which is something the Spurs currently lack from their front court but have with Murray, Walker and White. He should also be a bigger threat in the open court than any big on the roster currently.

kobyz
06-18-2019, 02:36 AM
Hard to see him become a starter caliber, doesn't have the size or weight to play C or the skills for today NBA to play PF...

buttsR4rebounding
06-18-2019, 05:22 AM
I think he can become a damn good 3. His jumper is improving and he's very coachable. I think at a minimum he will be able to shoot the corner 3. Especially if you can get him and Claxton you are going to have an elite defense and a cast very suited for the Beautiful Game on offense.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Not a fan of his. Dude is a great athlete but I feel will have a hard time staying on the court if his shot doesn't get exponentially better. In my opinion he isn't going to be able to consistently guard 4's and 5's in the NBA due to his wingspan and weight.

If he can knock down open 3's he would be able to see the court a lot more because teams could play him at the 3. Then he could also guard some bench 4's and 5's in a pinch.

cd021
06-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Hard to see him become a starter caliber, doesn't have the size or weight to play C or the skills for today NBA to play PF...

Pretty much this. I generally favor analytics but I just can't see him having a big role in the NBA. He is an odd fit on most teams for the reason that you mentioned.

He's a center in today's NBA but no way he can stop players like Embiid, Jokic, Aldridge, Towns and Davis in the post and I don't know if he is a good enough of a rebounder to play there either. Offensively I think he's should befine but also a weird fit, he is the size of 4 but without the range.

The other big that he would play with may have to space the floor, help him on the glass, defend bigger players that he can't down low.

Also at 23 and very reliant on athletism, I think he might have 6 or 7 years before he could see a big drop from whatever his peak production is.

I think I like Grant Williams more than him and I am also very worried about his game but not as much as I am with Clarke.

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2019, 10:09 AM
His jump shot is a red flag. Other than that would be a great fit character wise as well as basketball wise and locked in a rookie contract for his prime. Now if you can fix his jump shot, he could really become great cause all the other tools are already there

DPG21920
07-07-2019, 11:23 PM
He’s looking pretty damn good in his first game (I know, I know, it’s SL, he’s older and can//should be dominating this level and we still have to see how his flaws play out)

Jsmythe
07-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Brandon Clarke has been dominating the Summer League. I wish we could have gotten him at #19. Here is a nice article breaking down his recent play:

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/07/09/rookie-film-room-the-dominant-brandon-clarke/ (https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/07/09/rookie-film-room-the-dominant-brandon-clarke/)

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Should this be moved downstairs?

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 02:59 PM
i was pushing for little when he fell to 19... but clarke over samanic at that spot made more sense. samanic feels like a draft and stash caliber player who isnt being stashed... so wasting years of his contract in the gleague learning how to play basketball

Ocotillo
07-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Samanic > Clarke 3 years from now.

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Samanic > Clarke 3 years from now.
so for 3 years of their 4 year rookie contracts, clarke will be better.

Ocotillo
07-10-2019, 03:12 PM
I would agree with that. Samanic will likely spend a lot of time in Austin this coming year. I think long haul, Clarke will be a journeyman a Samanic has a chance (a chance) to be something special.

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 03:13 PM
a guy that requires years of developing before becoming a real contributor shouldn't be taken where samanic was

BackHome
07-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Man most of the top 5 players in the draft are 18 and will need development to reach their ceiling. It will get worse next year when the age limits changes it is all about potential and maybe getting the next Jordan or Timmy.

Pavlov
07-10-2019, 06:09 PM
I think Luka will be fine in a year tbh. Austin's schedule makes it easier for him to work on strength and conditioning.

Chinook
07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
I did see Clarke as an uber prospect (perhaps only him and Zion), but the Spurs didn't want to draft a ready-made player at 19. They have a responsibility to draft toward the future when they get a pick that high. They team doesn't need Samanic to be great yet, just like they didn't need Walker last year. In a year or two, it'll be Luka's time to shine, and these same folks who are questioning his selections will be questioning some other prospect who doesn't move the stars as a rookie. Just let them develop these guys.

Also, Luka's been very good for a rookie in the SL. None of Walker, White, Murray, Forbes or Anderson showed this much in their first summer leagues.

ceperez
07-10-2019, 07:32 PM
I did see Clarke as an uber prospect (perhaps only him and Zion), but the Spurs didn't want to draft a ready-made player at 19. They have a responsibility to draft toward the future when they get a pick that high. They team doesn't need Samanic to be great yet, just like they didn't need Walker last year. In a year or two, it'll be Luka's time to shine, and these same folks who are questioning his selections will be questioning some other prospect who doesn't move the stars as a rookie. Just let them develop these guys.

Also, Luka's been very good for a rookie in the SL. None of Walker, White, Murray, Forbes or Anderson showed this much in their first summer leagues.

I agree. Spurs should gamble on their strengths. That strength is an elite development program. Pick the most talented player you can get at age 19 and develop the hell out of him. Leonard wasn't 19 but he came out pretty good. Murray was 19, he ended up 2nd team defensive. Walker seems to be performing quite well in SL. Luka and Johnson both 19 have a couple of years to up there game. I like the strategy.

Derrick White is different in that he was overlooked by many teams.

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Good thing the Spurs used their 19 on a guy who wasn't gonna go top 40 otherwise.

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Yea, cos the Spurs never draft busts. It's in the bag, bro.

Chinook
07-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Yea, cos the Spurs never draft busts. It's in the bag, bro.

With first-round picks? They rarely, rarely do. The only guys they picked who "busted" had career-killing injuries (and James Anderson is actually a good player overseas while Livio is mehish at ASVEL). When you consider guys like Kyle busts, it shows just how good they are.

But nope, I really, really wanted Clarke. I'm pretty sure I said so in this very thread. I'm not all of the sudden saying the Spurs were right in passing by him. I just know they may prove me wrong sooner than I thought or in the very least that Samanic looks to be in good hands.

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 07:55 PM
With first-round picks? They rarely, rarely do.

J Anderson and Livio are two guys that come straight to mind. Some would argue Slo Mo, too. The book isn't out on Multinov yet either. CoJo wasn't a bust; but Spurs passed on J Butler for him.

I do get that the Spurs have drafted above the mean and are currently on a streak of three good firsts before this one; so your faith is well placed if not overstated. I think Keldon has a better chance of being a gem than Samanic, so there's that. But who knows if he'll get his strength and conditioning up and take advantage of some good tools.

I agree that Clarke was the obvious pick at 19.

The problem I have is that the Spurs don't see the high probability of a guy like this being available between 35-45 and make a trade accordingly if they think the potential is that high and he's then available. Teams are often willing to defer 2nds for future 2nds when the guy they wanted is no longer available.

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 07:59 PM

i dno, we really coulda used walker instead of dumping all those minutes at marco

Chinook
07-10-2019, 08:17 PM
i dno, we really coulda used walker instead of dumping all those minutes at marco

Nope. I mean, if he were a superstar or something, obviously. But Beli played well in the regular season. Definitely happy they took Lonnie over some high-ceiling/low-floor guy.

playblair
07-15-2019, 07:46 PM
named summer league mvp

R. DeMurre
07-16-2019, 12:14 AM
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/7/15/20695422/brandon-clarke-nba-summer-league-mvp

ZeusWillJudge
07-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Clarke did all of his damage in SL as a C. As a PF he was respectable but not outstanding. Playing him as a C hides his jump shot. And it's against SL competition.

He's got springs, but I still think it's going to take him a while to adapt to the NBA big game. And we still don't know about that jump shot.
I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but don't anoint him ROY just yet.

ZeusWillJudge
07-16-2019, 01:03 AM
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/7/15/20695422/brandon-clarke-nba-summer-league-mvp

Its funny that article gives a list of other players who were SL MVP's, but doesn't mention that Kyle Anderson was SL MVP. And Tyus Jones was SL MVP. And Glenn Rice Jr. And Josh Selby.

Again - it's not a knock on Clarke. Just saying it's not quite time to anoint him yet.

R. DeMurre
07-16-2019, 11:42 AM
I think much too much has been made of that one video at San Jose where his jump shot looked extremely awkward. Even high school videos of him show a smoother release than that one. But if the defense, energy, blocks, steals, and touch around the basket remain and he adds even an average jump shot, I think he'll absolutely be a keeper.

rjv
07-16-2019, 12:06 PM
With first-round picks? They rarely, rarely do. The only guys they picked who "busted" had career-killing injuries (and James Anderson is actually a good player overseas while Livio is mehish at ASVEL). When you consider guys like Kyle busts, it shows just how good they are.

But nope, I really, really wanted Clarke. I'm pretty sure I said so in this very thread. I'm not all of the sudden saying the Spurs were right in passing by him. I just know they may prove me wrong sooner than I thought or in the very least that Samanic looks to be in good hands.

i was actually thinking you'd be on the FO regarding clarke, and i still very much read some disappointment from you, in regards to clarke, but i'm surprised that you are backing the saminic pick from the perspective of development and the tools that luka appears to have. your objectivity here is a trait sorely lacking by those who are stubbornly refusing to see your points.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-16-2019, 03:16 PM
When Brandon Clarke fell to number 19, I thought they should draft him without question. But after seeing Luka in summer league, I think he has a higher ceiling. I still wonder if they should’ve drafted Clarke and waited to see who was still around at 29, but either way the draft is a success.

cd98
07-16-2019, 04:55 PM
When Brandon Clarke fell to number 19, I thought they should draft him without question. But after seeing Luka in summer league, I think he has a higher ceiling. I still wonder if they should’ve drafted Clarke and waited to see who was still around at 29, but either way the draft is a success.

Yes, if Luka can hit threes and bulk up and get the turnovers under control on his drives, he will be multidimensional. Clark feels like a guy that finishes what others create, but not necessarily a guy that has potential to hit it big, just be solid. Luka could be a star or a wasted pick.

Dejounte
07-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Clarke's a stat stuffer for sure. His highlights are so boring though

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Yes, if Luka can hit threes and bulk up and get the turnovers under control on his drives, he will be multidimensional. Clark feels like a guy that finishes what others create, but not necessarily a guy that has potential to hit it big, just be solid. Luka could be a star or a wasted pick.

Hard to say where his career ends up, but it feels like Pop sees Luka as being complementary to Poetl. Which makes me speculate that Poetl is probably in the long term plan.

rjv
07-16-2019, 06:31 PM
clarke seems like a slightly more revved up version of kyle anderson, imho.

Ocotillo
07-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Clarke was the safe pick at 19. As others have said, Samanic has a higher potential ceiling. Clarke would be playing right away if we had drafted him. Samanic needs to get stronger and work on some things. I understand the point Clarke advocates make that PATFO should have drafted Clarke instead. To have a real shot at a championship, you need that superstar, a top 5 or 6 player with the right pieces around him. I don't know that any of young three are going to get to a Greek Freak or Nephew level in time, probably not.

So I am agreeing with the front office on the choice between Samanic and Clarke. Clarke was the more sure thing whereas Luka may develop into a really special player. Time will tell.

For the next two or three years though, the Clarke advocates will be telling us how out of touch R.C. is and all that.

Gordy58
07-16-2019, 09:28 PM
Players like Clarke grow on trees. Athletic rim runner, can’t shoot, can block some shots and finish efficiently around the basket. He’ll likely be a solid player, best case scenario Montrezl Harrell Kenneth Faried... which isn’t bad at all.

With Luka you get a player with a much higher ceiling, his skill set is made for today’s game, definitely some star potential there. But he could also be a huge bust and we’ll be wondering a few years from now why we picked him instead of Clarke.

Kurgan
07-17-2019, 02:44 AM
Clarke has looked impressive but he's also older than most of the rookies in this class. He's three and a half years older than Samanic for example. I'm not sure he's right for the current Spurs roster either. He's a win now player and I don't think the Spurs have a win now roster, as currently constructed. They choked against a group of playoff virgins this season, which says a lot about Derozan as a leader and first option. No surprise that PATFO aren't looking to extend him. He's not a winner or someone worth building around. A temporary mercenary who's only here to hold the fort until the youngsters can prove themselves. Derrick White almost did that in the playoffs this season when he took over in games where Derozan disappeared.

ceperez
07-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Clarke has looked impressive but he's also older than most of the rookies in this class. He's three and a half years older than Samanic for example. I'm not sure he's right for the current Spurs roster either. He's a win now player and I don't think the Spurs have a win now roster, as currently constructed. They choked against a group of playoff virgins this season, which says a lot about Derozan as a leader and first option. No surprise that PATFO aren't looking to extend him. He's not a winner or someone worth building around. A temporary mercenary who's only here to hold the fort until the youngsters can prove themselves. Derrick White almost did that in the playoffs this season when he took over in games where Derozan disappeared.

I agree, Spurs have to gamble on players that have the potential to take it the next level. Samanic is that kind of player in that he has the height, athleticism and basketball IQ.

I'm not so sure with Keldon Johnson, but for a #29 pick and at 19 years old, I'm satisfied with the pick. I would have liked a bigger player though.

rjv
07-17-2019, 02:00 PM
For the next two or three years though, the Clarke advocates will be telling us how out of touch R.C. is and all that.

that's for damn sure.

spurraider21
06-23-2022, 06:26 PM
that's for damn sure.
for good reason :tu