05-06-2019, 05:14 PM
https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/1125448354622857216
https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/1125449451584270337

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Pop the dictator. Basketball is your job and you have to listen

apalisoc_9
05-06-2019, 05:23 PM
He also credited Kawhi playoff explosion to "freedom".

He was implying Kawhi could have played better with San Antonio in those 16 runs if he was given absoulte freedom.

Something Ive said for years now.

Now its coming from someone who played with Kawhi.

daslicer
05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
I believe in balance. You have to be able to meet somewhere in the middle. Pop is the extreme of being a dictator while Coach Nurse is on the other extreme of being a cuck/pushover.

spurraider21
05-06-2019, 05:59 PM

He was implying Kawhi could have played better with San Antonio in those 16 runs if he was given absoulte freedom.

it was always funny when people called kawhi a system player when our system actually restricts individual stats quite a bit

DPG21920
05-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Danny is very much like TP when it comes to questions/interviews. He gives real answers. Doubt there was anything negative about it; probably just a true assessment in coaching styles between Pop and Nurse.

wildcardX
05-06-2019, 06:33 PM
I can just imagine that scenario.
Danny: Hey Pop, I came up with this play where Kawhi and I...
Pop: no
Danny: Why?
Pop: Let Kawhi do his thing.
Danny: How about I dribble...
Pop: NO!
Danny: .....for a mid range....
Pop: (walking off)
Danny: Ok, Pop talk to you tomorrow.

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 06:52 PM
to be fair Pop did give Kawhi the green light in 2017. He was pretty much doing whatever he wanted on offense and had one of the highest usage rates in the NBA. But still, Pop wants players to execute. I remember ex-players saying they treat you like you are supposed to be a robot

FkLA
05-06-2019, 06:55 PM

I don't get that. The offense was pretty Nephew-centric in 16-17. I remember he had a legendary game at MEM even though we lost. He still averaged 28 PPG that postseason in a tougher conference despite two partial games (GS game 1, HOU game 5).

With Enrique stepping down to a bench role I'm pretty sure he would've been allowed to have complete freedom the following year too.

ducks
05-06-2019, 06:56 PM
More proof pop needs to go
Becky so much better

pgardn
05-06-2019, 06:57 PM
We should hire Nurse then.

Look where we got this year with an allstar type lineup.
And what do you expect Green to say. See what he has to say when Toronto loses, KL leaves, and they blow up the team.

ducks
05-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Dude he is under contract with raps
You can not hire nurse
Nurse babied kL
Only 60 games out of 82

Reck
05-06-2019, 07:11 PM
it was always funny when people called kawhi a system player when our system actually restricts individual stats quite a bit

That's not really true.

Spurs stars always got their points. As a player you had enough touches to make a difference.

The system just made sure you didn't chimp out and went ball hog mode. And hey, it worked. Gave them 5 out of 6 championships.

You never heard Robinson, Duncan and Manu complaint about wanting to be the alpha or quit because they didn't get their 20/10/10 every night.

MultiTroll
05-06-2019, 07:13 PM
I remember ex-players saying they treat you like you are supposed to be a robot
Link? Players?
I'm not doubting you.
Just that everything one hears and reads (at least upstairs and from the MSM bots) is "slurp slurp *everyone* wants to play for Pop. The entire NBA."

apalisoc_9
05-06-2019, 07:14 PM
I don't get that. The offense was pretty Nephew-centric in 16-17. I remember he had a legendary game at MEM even though we lost. He still averaged 28 PPG that postseason in a tougher conference despite two partial games (GS game 1, HOU game 5).

With Enrique stepping down to a bench role I'm pretty sure he would've been allowed to have complete freedom the following year too.

No.

It was pretty clear Pop hated kawhi handling the ball for like 20 seconds of the shot clock.

The biggest difference between these two teams.

Nurse has zero problems with kawhi retracting from a double twice or three times.

I remeber in San Antonio he hated that shit. He wanted kawhi to make quick moves. Either pass or drive straight when the double comes.

Russ
05-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Eternal Rule #1 -- An NBA player will always favor his current coach over his ex-coach (for obvious reasons).

Read no more into any of this than that.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
05-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Becky so much betterYou really want this team to tank.

Dennis the Menace
05-06-2019, 07:48 PM
You really want this team to tank.

You can say the same thing about Pop/RC wanting to tank with the way they gave shitty contracts to Gasol and Patty.

Dennis the Menace
05-06-2019, 07:49 PM
I don’t blame Kawhi for leaving. Only blame/frustration lies with the way he forced his exit.

r0drig0lac
05-06-2019, 07:51 PM
That's not really true.

Spurs stars always got their points. As a player you had enough touches to make a difference.

The system just made sure you didn't chimp out and went ball hog mode. And hey, it worked. Gave them 5 out of 6 championships.

You never heard Robinson, Duncan and Manu complaint about wanting to be the alpha or quit because they didn't get their 20/10/10 every night.

this is irrelevant, the point is they would put better stats anywhere else, whether this would be positive or not is another story.

Down Under
05-06-2019, 08:15 PM
He was as effective in 2016-17 as now. He was much more dominant defensively - would get back in transition, fight through screens, guard the best player for most of the game. He has 'exploded' offensively because his usage is higher, but his efficiency is similar & his overall impact on the game is similar.

pgardn
05-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Dude he is under contract with raps
You can not hire nurse
Nurse babied kL
Only 60 games out of 82

sarcasm ducks, sarcasm

timvp
05-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Meh, I'm fine with Danny saying whatever he needs to in order to land one last fat contract. Obviously a neophyte like Nurse is going to be more open to input than any coach who has been around the block a few dozen times.

Pavlov
05-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Becky so much betterWhat if she voted for Clinton tho?

Mugen
05-06-2019, 08:31 PM
All good, just don't forget who made you though tbh. He'd be dancing in layup lines somewhere in Lithuania if it weren't for the Spurs.

weebo
05-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Like Pop would as the human catfish for any type of basketball related advice... :lmao

tholdren
05-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Lol danny green owes all of his club entrances to pop. This is a guy who still cant dribble. He is a perimeter player who airballs layups and can only score in transition by shooting a three. Why would pop ask for his feedback?

Reck
05-06-2019, 09:36 PM
this is irrelevant, the point is they would put better stats anywhere else, whether this would be positive or not is another story.

Of course they would if given the chance. But that's not the point.

The point is to play as a team, not as a loose cannon. I'm sure any given player would put up decent numbers if the goal was to give that one player everything they wanted.

TheGreatYacht
05-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Terrible last few days for Popsuckers tbh.

Kawhi is playing like Jordan. Budenholzer is the best coach in the league. Green dropping hiroshima bombs.

People hated on Stephen Jackson when he said Pop didn't give a shit what you thought unless you were the Big 3. That Big 3 now is Mills, Forbes, and Derozan. Not once this season did Pop give them the tough treatment. He babied them. Clapped like a seal when they would chuck up the stupidest of shots. Licked their balls and fluffed them up to the media. Mills is the best teammate ever, Derozan is our closer, Forbes can be Curry lite. Meanwhile guys like Poeltl and White had to watch Mills and Gasol finish games for the most part of the season.

Russ
05-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Kawhi is playing like Jordan. Budenholzer is the best coach in the league. Green dropping hiroshima bombs.

People hated on Stephen Jackson when he said Pop didn't give a shit what you thought unless you were the Big 3. That Big 3 now is Mills, Forbes, and Derozan. Not once this season did Pop give them the tough treatment. He babied them. Clapped like a seal when they would chuck up the stupidest of shots. Licked their balls and fluffed them up to the media. Mills is the best teammate ever, Derozan is our closer, Forbes can be Curry lite. Meanwhile guys like Poeltl and White had to watch Mills and Gasol finish games for the most part of the season.

Why does the fact that "Budenholzer is the best coach in the league" reflect badly on Pop?

offset formation
05-06-2019, 10:48 PM
What if she voted for Clinton tho?

2 hours of ducks silence speaks volumes. Lol.

TheGreatYacht
05-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Why does the fact that "Budenholzer is the best coach in the league" reflect badly on Pop?
Bud was the real mastermind behind those 2013/14 teams and probably even more years before that.

The beautiful game slowly turned into a 1994 system once he left. Yes, he was gone in 2014, but the Spurs still played unselfish like his teams usually do, and the players were playing with a hunger to get the job done. He won CotY twice in his 6 years of coaching. Took two mid table teams to the Conference Finals. Finds a home for journeymen who got let go from lottery teams like Lopez and Hill, much like we did with Diaw before he started turning into 0.2 Boris once Bud left. Makes all stars out of role players (Middleton, Korver, Teague), you know, the narratives everyone gifts to Pop. Bud actually does it.

Giannis and Bledsoe can't shoot for shit, neither can Aldridge and Derozan. Two of those guys play for a team that shoot the 2nd most 3s, the other two play for the team that's dead last in 3PA. There's levels to systems.

Excited to see what Coach Bud can do now that he finally has a generational talent just like Pop had with Duncan and Kawhi.

Proxy
05-06-2019, 11:00 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThinAngelicAnura-size_restricted.gif
http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

ducks
05-06-2019, 11:14 PM
What if she voted for Clinton tho?

Atleast she is much hotter then pop

K...
05-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Bud was the real mastermind behind those 2013/14 teams and probably even more years before that.

The beautiful game slowly turned into a 1994 system once he left. Yes, he was gone in 2014, but the Spurs still played unselfish like his teams usually do, and the players were playing with a hunger to get the job done. He won CotY twice in his 6 years of coaching. Took two mid table teams to the Conference Finals. Finds a home for journeymen who got let go from lottery teams like Lopez and Hill, much like we did with Diaw before he started turning into 0.2 Boris once Bud left. Makes all stars out of role players (Middleton, Korver, Teague), you know, the narratives everyone gifts to Pop. Bud actually does it.

Giannis and Bledsoe can't shoot for shit, neither can Aldridge and Derozan. Two of those guys play for a team that shoot the 2nd most 3s, the other two play for the team that's dead last in 3PA. There's levels to systems.

Excited to see what Coach Bud can do now that he finally has a generational talent just like Pop had with Duncan and Kawhi.

tony parker, manu and boris were the beautiful game. They all fell off a cliff in 2015 and kawhi turned the team to Kawhi iso; laMarcus and derozan just assumed the movement kawhi started. once derozan and Lamarcus leave the spurs will resume a modern style.

It's just funny that the team Kawhi bailed on: a old gasol and dumb Tony parker is some how worse than the raptor's old gasol and fat and dumb kyle lowry. I know Kawhi isn't staying with the raps, but cmon, he's playing the fucking 76ers with an injured embid. Kawhi shriveled more than not in the western conf and will be a coward against the warriors if they advance. Kevin Durant is his Dad.

He's a top 3 player but not an alpha.

ducks
05-06-2019, 11:15 PM
You really want this team to tank.

Dude what has he done since Trump become President
He is fucking useless now

Pavlov
05-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Atleast she is much hotter then popThanks for admitting none your rambling has anything to do with basketball.:tu

K...
05-06-2019, 11:25 PM
Dude what has he done since Trump become President
He is fucking useless now

Pops best years were under Bush, what does that mean?????????

ducks
05-06-2019, 11:27 PM
I was never a bush fan

TheGreatYacht
05-06-2019, 11:35 PM
tony parker, manu and boris were the beautiful game. They all fell off a cliff in 2015 and kawhi turned the team to Kawhi iso; laMarcus and derozan just assumed the movement kawhi started. once derozan and Lamarcus leave the spurs will resume a modern style.

It's just funny that the team Kawhi bailed on: a old gasol and dumb Tony parker is some how worse than the raptor's old gasol and fat and dumb kyle lowry. I know Kawhi isn't staying with the raps, but cmon, he's playing the fucking 76ers with an injured embid. Kawhi shriveled more than not in the western conf and will be a coward against the warriors if they advance. Kevin Durant is his Dad.

Now say it without crying.

If Kawhi is Durant's son, Pop must be Billy Donovan and Scott brooks' bitch:lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2019, 12:07 AM
ones a dictator

the other looks like a commie with grade with 3 education been given the top job who doesnt know wtf his doing

cutewizard
05-07-2019, 02:07 AM
Kawhi will never win the Nba title again

cutewizard
05-07-2019, 02:08 AM
Giannis >>>>>>>>>>>>>> kawhi

99 Problems
05-07-2019, 02:56 AM
Pretty clear Pop gave him the keys to the Caddy in 17, thats how he ripped the West a new one including those Ass Clowns that KD is having to put up with as passengers currently.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-07-2019, 04:24 AM
To me Nurse looks out-coached almost every night.

Danny’s saying the right things trying to ink a big deal. Good for him.

BillMc
05-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Eternal Rule #1 -- An NBA player will always favor his current coach over his ex-coach (for obvious reasons).

This

gilmor2002
05-07-2019, 04:57 AM
Said it in another thread..

Kawhi problem is that he cannot be coached by a wise old man like Pop..

He feels intimidated because he cannot question Pop's decision as Pop made him who he is.

In that sense, he always feel obliged to 'serve' Pop; even though Pop gave him a free hand to dominate..

cutewizard
05-07-2019, 04:59 AM
This

Those girls are hot man

jermaine
05-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Pop is a old school, Southern, belt using, get the best out of you father. Nick Nurse is a 2019 tight jeans wearing, being your kids best friend, pack you on the back saying it's ok Dad...

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 06:59 AM
All good, just don't forget who made you though tbh. He'd be dancing in layup lines somewhere in Lithuania if it weren't for the Spurs.

Kawhi would have been a star on any other team... U do know other teams have stars that were chosen waaaaaay after where Kawhi was chosen, right?

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 07:04 AM

Them losing was more on pop and lma than Kawhi... Also the 2017 spurs were near the top of the league in assists and efficiency...

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Giannis >>>>>>>>>>>>>> kawhi

How is that a bad thing? He is the MVP... so everyone else is under him

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 07:08 AM
Pop is a old school, Southern, belt using, get the best out of you father. Nick Nurse is a 2019 tight jeans wearing, being your kids best friend, pack you on the back saying it's ok Dad...

So is Kerr... And look where he is at

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 07:11 AM
We marvel at other team's players, but let's be honest, as I've always said, Curry wouldn't have been great under Pop... He would have simply been good... The minute he took a 40 foot three, he would be benched... The minute he got beat on D, he would be benched, and his confidence would have been affected as a young player... He would have only been able to operate within Pop's limitations... So no 1on 4 fast break pull up threes that absolutely bury opponents for him

cd98
05-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Pop learned to coach in an era where Star players weren’t overriding the coaches and GMs.

manufan10
05-07-2019, 07:55 AM
Kawhi would have been a star on any other team... U do know other teams have stars that were chosen waaaaaay after where Kawhi was chosen, right?

:lol When you're so far up Kawhi's ass that you don't realize that Mugen was talking about Danny Green.

Your schtick is tired.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-07-2019, 08:10 AM
So what else did Danny Green say or was that it? Lol. I'm sure Danny said more than what was posted but the way the tweet is set up makes great click bait.

The people who are upset and want to blame Pop and RC regardless of what is put out there will not be swayed in their beliefs no matter if the evidence suggests other wise. Lol

I do believe Nurse is more open to suggestion than Pop and I don't think Danny or Steven Jackson were lying by saying as such. I can understand why Nurse is more open to suggestion and its because he is a new coach who is trying not to be the reason Kawhi wants to leave. Not to mention he is trying not to be the reason the team underperforms how well they played with their previous coach of the year

I have an issue with people trying to say Pop will not change or listen to players who prove themselves. He has most definitely listened to players who have proven they can play and showed they are trust worthy. Its obvious how this is the case by looking at how the team consistently changes it style to fit the players on the rosters strength. Pop even publically admitted he was using Aldridge wrong and changed the teams style to fit Kawhi better also.

GreekSpursfan
05-07-2019, 08:43 AM
If you swap Nurse for Pop, Toronto would be the prohibitive favorite to win it all, it's that simple imo. This is the same narrative like some here were saying about Brad fucking Stevens. Where the fuck is little Brad now with all that talent the Celtics have?

jermaine
05-07-2019, 09:11 AM
An he cant get no respect from his Superstar player to turn the music down while he does an interview. Raps DO NOT have the stars the Warriors have. It's not even ckos3

bklynspursfan
05-07-2019, 11:59 AM
:lol When you're so far up Kawhi's ass that you don't realize that Mugen was talking about Danny Green.

Your schtick is tired.

Seriously :lol

BillMc
05-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Those girls are hot man

Glad you approve!:bobo

ZeusWillJudge
05-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Glad you approve!:bobo

Yeah, but you got rid of the guitar girl and replaced her with a wine glass of chocolate milk. I think there's something Freudian going on there.

R. DeMurre
05-07-2019, 12:43 PM
You can't complain that Pop didn't give Kawhi enough freedom and also complain the the Beautiful Game went away.... Kawhi's emergence as an offensive powerhouse was always going to be more iso-heavy.

BillMc
05-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Yeah, but you got rid of the guitar girl and replaced her with a wine glass of chocolate milk. I think there's something Freudian going on there.
:lol

Guitar girl may return next season by popular demand.

Bobo approves of the wine glass girl. :bobo

james evans
05-07-2019, 02:42 PM
I believe in balance. You have to be able to meet somewhere in the middle. Pop is the extreme of being a dictator while Coach Nurse is on the other extreme of being a cuck/pushover.
Holy shitballs!!! We finally agree on something.

RC_Drunkford
05-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Link? Players?
I'm not doubting you.
Just that everything one hears and reads (at least upstairs and from the MSM bots) is "slurp slurp *everyone* wants to play for Pop. The entire NBA."

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/robert-horry-robot-succeed-spurs/

Richard Jefferson: “Tony came through the system: great player; Manu came through the system: great player; Tim came through the system: great player.

“Myself: I struggled; Antonio McDyess: struggled; Michael Finley: struggled; LaMarcus Aldridge: struggling.” […]

Robert Horry: “I remember my first year there, I struggled. And it was funny, the San Antonio fans were like, ‘Oh, he’s a spy! Lakers sending him here for us to suck!’

“I’m like are you serious right now? I took less money just to get my rep back.

“And I told Michael Finley, I said Mike let me tell you something, In order for you to be successful, you gotta dumb your game down.

“He looked at me like, ‘What?’

“You have to be a robot because when you get to San Antonio they get A, B, C, D. If you try to go to A, B, E, they gon’ look at you like, ‘Woah, what you doing?’”

This pretty much explains why the Spurs are great at developing draft picks and free agents struggle to fit in

RC_Drunkford
05-07-2019, 03:43 PM

truth bomb tbh. Not to mention Bud almost had to fight Pop to trade Hill for Kawhi

paperboy77
05-07-2019, 04:44 PM

No matter how you or anyone slices it, Spurs won 5 titles and went to 6! Nothing is guaranteed no matter the mix of a team. All those pieces, players and coaches, contributed to the titles. Twenty plus of consecutive playoff seasons? Dude we’ve been so lucky it’s blinded us.

Everyone everywhere is some kind of system player. Everyone runs a system of sorts.

TD 21
05-07-2019, 05:31 PM

:tu

I got sick of his passive-aggressive, thinly veiled bullshit early in the season. If he's got something to say, have some balls and say it.

He's been slurping up to Toronto media since his arrival, trying to play team spokesman (while doubling as scumbag's hype man), so if he re-signs, maybe he'll try to work his way into the media there when he retires . . . if he tries to worm his way back in here, the organization should pull some strings and shut that shit down.

DPG21920
05-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Man the animosity towards Danny is misplaced imo.

TDomination
05-07-2019, 05:54 PM
This pretty much explains why the Spurs are great at developing draft picks and free agents struggle to fit in

Pretty interesting. A lot of times, companies would rather have young new minds to mold vs getting someone that already has had experience in that field because of old habits that may go against on how they do things.

I'm trying to think of what free agents spurs have signed in the last 20 years that has been successful. Off the top of my head
-Brent Barry
-Bruce Bowen
-Boris Diaw

Thats all i can think of, there was probably more. not sure lol

But i don't see it as a necessarily bad thing that some of these players have a hard time fitting in. Its bad in the sense for future free agents. But at the same time, we have won more than other teams in the last 2 decades. So something in our system is good. But its definitely not for everyone.

Mikeanaro
05-07-2019, 05:57 PM
If you swap Nurse for Pop, Toronto would be the prohibitive favorite to win it all, it's that simple imo. This is the same narrative like some here were saying about Brad fucking Stevens. Where the fuck is little Brad now with all that talent the Celtics have?
Stevens got rid of too many key players, fucking the nucleus in the process.
Also getting one B star like Hayward is not going to do a lot for your team.

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 06:00 PM
An he cant get no respect from his Superstar player to turn the music down while he does an interview. Raps DO NOT have the stars the Warriors have. It's not even ckos3

U completely missed the point... Having the qualities of giving ur players freedom doesn't make u a bad or weak coach... Kerr has had the best team in the league even before KD, and he allowed them tons of freedom... Larry Brown was rigid and never won a championship

FkLA
05-07-2019, 06:01 PM

I got sick of his passive-aggressive, thinly veiled bullshit early in the season. If he's got something to say, have some balls and say it.

He's been slurping up to Toronto media since his arrival, trying to play team spokesman (while doubling as scumbag's hype man), so if he re-signs, maybe he'll try to work his way into the media there when he retires . . . if he tries to worm his way back in here, the organization should pull some strings and shut that shit down.

Tbf Danny might be the one guy that has a right to feel a little slighted by PATFO. I don't feel Pop ever truly embraced him. I get why Pop would never embrace him like he embraced the Big 3, but he never even embraced him the way he did Patty (a much lesser player). Danny was a vital cog of the '14 team and numerous other deep runs, did the Spurs a solid with his current contract, and seemed to genuinely love the Spurs and Big 3. I still remember how sad he seemed after the Clippers loss because his future (FA) and the future of Manu/Timmy (retirement) was uncertain.

Yet Pop always coached him the hardest and dangled him in trade talks for years.

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 06:02 PM

He did say it

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Pretty interesting. A lot of times, companies would rather have young new minds to mold vs getting someone that already has had experience in that field because of old habits that may go against on how they do things.

I'm trying to think of what free agents spurs have signed in the last 20 years that has been successful. Off the top of my head
-Brent Barry
-Bruce Bowen
-Boris Diaw

Thats all i can think of, there was probably more. not sure lol

But i don't see it as a necessarily bad thing that some of these players have a hard time fitting in. Its bad in the sense for future free agents. But at the same time, we have won more than other teams in the last 2 decades. So something in our system is good. But its definitely not for everyone.
Yeah... Tim Duncan

RC_Drunkford
05-07-2019, 06:05 PM

yeah but at the same time we haven't won anything without Duncan. Maybe a lot of that stuff doesn't work without the Big 3 around

Tbf Danny might be the one guy that has a right to feel a little slighted by PATFO. I don't feel Pop ever truly embraced him. I get why Pop would never embrace him like he embraced the Big 3, but he never even embraced him the way he did Patty (a much lesser player). Danny was a vital cog of the '14 team and numerous other deep runs, did the Spurs a solid with his current contract, and seemed to genuinely love the Spurs and Big 3. I still remember how sad he seemed after the Clippers loss because his future (FA) and the future of Manu/Timmy (retirement) was uncertain.

Yet Pop always coached him the hardest and dangled him in trade talks for years.

I never understood why he treated Danny like his new punching bag. I mean yeah tough love got him to that level, but after 2013 he basically proved he belongs, so there was no need for that type of treatment afterwards

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Stevens got rid of too many key players, fucking the nucleus in the process.
Also getting one B star like Hayward is not going to do a lot for your team.

Also why does Brad need to win a ring this year to prove anything? Why hold him to that standard? There were years that we had tons of talent, but never made the finals

Collins21
05-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Also why does Brad need to win a ring this year to prove anything? Why hold him to that standard? There were years that we had tons of talent, but never made the finals

My god shut up. He has to win something you can't keep coming up short in t e playoffs and be considered elite. Yes we missed out on championships a lot but Pop won a title in his second full year as coach none of your bullshit can change that fact. Stevens has to win something before he's considered the best.

TD 21
05-07-2019, 06:45 PM

I agree . . . but he should also never forget what Mugen said. They gave him the platform to be the player he became. If he's bitter about the way things turned out, fair enough, but as I alluded to, say that in no uncertain terms.

duncan2k5
05-07-2019, 06:46 PM
My god shut up. He has to win something you can't keep coming up short in t e playoffs and be considered elite. Yes we missed out on championships a lot but Pop won a title in his second full year as coach none of your bullshit can change that fact. Stevens has to win something before he's considered the best.

Bro... He has had am elite team for two years... Last year his best player was injured in the playoffs... NO ONE expected the Celtics to be that good last year... Stevens proved he is a pretty good coach... U don't have to win a championship to prove that... Larry Brown never won and ppl consider him top 5

tholdren
05-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Those girls are hot man

Cutewizard playing both ends of court
now?

Collins21
05-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Bro... He has had am elite team for two years... Last year his best player was injured in the playoffs... NO ONE expected the Celtics to be that good last year... Stevens proved he is a pretty good coach... U don't have to win a championship to prove that... Larry Brown never won and ppl consider him top 5

My fellow West Indian brother Stevens is overrated period. I soured on Popovich a lot after the Denver series but he's still miles better than Stevens.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-07-2019, 07:17 PM
To me Nurse looks out-coached almost every night.

Danny’s saying the right things trying to ink a big deal. Good for him.

Kind of my thoughts exactly. I've watched a few of the Toronto games this season and have come away more than less than impressed with Nurse. On a side note, it's been hard to listen/watch Nurse's interviews as he is so desperate to bow to Kawhi in an effort to get Kawhi to resign. There is a very interesting paradigm in Toronto.

Pop has shortcomings and can be stubborn to all hell, but I would take him any day of the week over Nurse. Beware of flavors of the week. It's hard to believe people here actually believe Nurse is a good head coach with virtually no sample size. All season long posters on this site have complimented the assembly of the Raptors roster, from their talent down to their depth. Now the playoffs have rolled around and no one in Toronto outside of Kawhi has been consistently effective. Lets see how this 2-2 series plays out before we crown Nurse the master of chess.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Give an example of Kerr being old school, belt using, get the best out of you father. Kerr is very much a players coach.

MoSpur02
05-07-2019, 08:47 PM

This. What did the media expect Green to say about Nurse? I'll take Pop over Nurse any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

MoSpur02
05-07-2019, 08:50 PM

:lmao

SpurPadre
05-07-2019, 09:11 PM
LDN, do you mean the freedom to make stupid fucking fouls in the last seconds of the 4th quarter, like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFvShURQ5k&app=desktop

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Why are you guys offended by this?:lol

They asked him to compare Pop and Nurse, what is he going to say? He didn't insult Pop, Green has had huge praise for Pop whenever he's mentioned in Canadian media..

Pop IS a dictator-type, it's his style, we all know this..

Mikeanaro
05-07-2019, 09:32 PM
???
Thats how things work, you go to the conference finals and then Celts fans expect to play the Finals.
He had the tools, got rid of them and ruined everything.

GreekSpursfan
05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
???
Thats how things work, you go to the conference finals and then Celts fans expect to play the Finals.
He had the tools, got rid of them and ruined everything.

What tools, he has the same team as last season with two great additions. No significant tool was let go, none.

Mikeanaro
05-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Give an example of Kerr being old school, belt using, get the best out of you father. Kerr is very much a players coach.
Kerr is a clown, as much as Luke Walton, they had a team that was perfectly assembled (not by them).
And then Walton exposed his skills in LA.
Kerr sucks so much as a coach, his worst was the 2015 Finals, GS played like a HS team shooting without any kind of sense bricking everywhere, he was the mastermind behind that turd.
They won only because Irving got injured, not even refs were going to save them.

RD2191
05-07-2019, 09:49 PM

TGY dropping nukes. :wow

Mikeanaro
05-07-2019, 09:51 PM
What tools, he has the same team as last season with two great additions. No significant tool was let go, none.
Thomas, Olynyk, Bradley, Crowder where very important.
Also last season was fool´s gold anyway, Bucks were shit (44 win team) and Sixers were a train wreck.
Today those teams are very different, dont think so?
Look how Bucks are stomping them now.

UZER
05-07-2019, 10:12 PM
yeah but at the same time we haven't won anything without Duncan. Maybe a lot of that stuff doesn't work without the Big 3 around

I never understood why he treated Danny like his new punching bag. I mean yeah tough love got him to that level, but after 2013 he basically proved he belongs, so there was no need for that type of treatment afterwards

It’s Pops mind rape control tactics. It’s how he makes everyone else submit. He always has to have one player on the team that he constantly berates in public, yanks at the slightest random missed assignment, etc. Now it’s Bertrans. Sure he yells at other guys, but there’s always one guy who gets the brunt of his wrath, even when his pets are missing assignments left and right. Danny was that guy for YEARS. Pathetic.

Dennis the Menace
05-07-2019, 10:14 PM

I pray that the younger management don’t want to run a loyalty factory and don’t support mediocrity

DMC
05-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Pop is probably the greatest coach of all time. Everyone else being mentioned are likely to be forgotten in a few years by everyone but "the truck".

Dennis the Menace
05-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Pop is probably the most overrated coach of all time because of Tim Duncan.

Fixed it for you.

8FOR!3
05-07-2019, 10:37 PM
There's also a really good chance if it wasn't for Pop Danny Green wouldn't still be in the league and he probably wouldn't have made the money he's made.

timvp
05-07-2019, 11:51 PM
LDN, do you mean the freedom to make stupid fucking fouls in the last seconds of the 4th quarter, like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFvShURQ5k&app=desktop

At least he fouled, tbh . . . . . . . . . . . .

ShutUp SayItAgain!
05-08-2019, 03:42 AM

ShutUp SayItAgain!
05-08-2019, 03:44 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThinAngelicAnura-size_restricted.gif
http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

:lmao

ShutUp SayItAgain!
05-08-2019, 03:46 AM

lol

ShutUp SayItAgain!
05-08-2019, 03:59 AM
It’s Pops mind rape control tactics. It’s how he makes everyone else submit. He always has to have one player on the team that he constantly berates in public, yanks at the slightest random missed assignment, etc. Now it’s Bertrans. Sure he yells at other guys, but there’s always one guy who gets the brunt of his wrath, even when his pets are missing assignments left and right. Danny was that guy for YEARS. Pathetic.

Truth

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2019, 06:44 AM
either he berates them like a dog

or he yanks them out of the game when they stuff up their 1st play

yet pos like mills, forbes, ddr, lma continue to stay in the game to do what they are best at doing, chucking bricks

r0drig0lac
05-08-2019, 07:30 AM

They asked him to compare Pop and Nurse, what is he going to say? He didn't insult Pop, Green has had huge praise for Pop whenever he's mentioned in Canadian media..

UZER
05-08-2019, 07:49 AM
There's also a really good chance if it wasn't for Pop Danny Green wouldn't still be in the league and he probably wouldn't have made the money he's made.

Exactly, and Pop knows this too. That’s why he treated him like shit. Now he’s doing the same with Bertans. Why do you think he always goes after these last chance, could’ve been out of the league, type guys? Because he know he has them by the career balls and they will cower and grovel.

8FOR!3
05-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Exactly, and Pop knows this too. That’s why he treated him like shit. Now he’s doing the same with Bertans. Why do you think he always goes after these last chance, could’ve been out of the league, type guys? Because he know he has them by the career balls and they will cower and grovel.

I really don't believe it's like that. I also don't think Pop treated him like shit. Pop definitely expects guys to play within themselves and within the system, great players like Kawhi and even guys like Derrick White or Dejounte Murray have proven that the more talented players on the team still rise to the top. Bertans had an opportunity to play in the playoffs, shots weren't falling and he was a bit of a liability on defense so he got benched. Nothing to see there. Last year Danny Green was pretty much a liability on offense and was having his worst year in a while, but he was still part of the rotation. Sometimes players get complacent or bored and just need a change of scenery as motivation. I think that was part of it with Danny. We also wanted to get younger at the guard position. He lets certain players get away with more and I don't think it's because he plays favorites but you can't tell me Danny Green and Davis Bertans don't have limited upside. When Danny Green was actually performing on the Spurs he was the starting shooting guard two years in a row in the NBA finals having the green light to shoot 3's. Danny signed multiple contracts with the team, it's not like he didn't have value elsewhere by that point...

RC_Drunkford
05-08-2019, 11:50 AM

true I was about to say he became the new Parker in that regard. Tony was the first one

Ozballer
05-08-2019, 04:57 PM
"I won a ring with Pop and he turned me into a professional NBA player when my commitment to the game was questionable" This is you line Danny.
Pop 5 rings - Nurse Zip.
End of message.

TD 21
05-08-2019, 05:04 PM

I'm not offended, I'm just calling out his bullshit. If this were an isolated incident, maybe your conclusion would be reasonable (though even then, I'd be skeptical; Green is media savvy).

TDomination
05-08-2019, 05:53 PM
"I won a ring with Pop and he turned me into a professional NBA player when my commitment to the game was questionable" This is you line Danny.
Pop 5 rings - Nurse Zip.
End of message.

Yup. In the 8 years he was here, he had 2 Finals appearances, 4 WCF appearances, 5 Semi WCF Appearances, and 8 total playoff appearances.
He grew as a player and was a big part of the teams that went to the finals.

So its not like Nurse is the first successful coach Green has played for. Pop had different methods but context i guess makes it seem he prefers Nurse.
Right now they are riding high and deservedly so. If they get past the Bucks and make it to the finals, Kawhi would be stupid to leave that team.

And if Kawhi does end up leaving, anything less than a championship would suck for Toronto. For this may be the closest they ever get to winning a championship. You know for sure all of Toronto is praying for Kawhi to stay.

Millennial_Messiah
05-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Poop always treated DG like dogshit.

dbreiden83080
05-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Uh Spurs won 60 games, and he averaged 26 a game his last full season with the Spurs before his Vagina started hurting..

And 26 pts in 23 minutes against the Warriors in the WCF.. 31 PPG against Memphis.. Pop handed this asshole the Keys..

SpurPadre
05-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Those of you defending LDN's bitch-made comments haven't stopped to think that TP could've easily talked shit about Pop's coaching too this year but he didn't. He thanked Pop and the organization even when his team swept the season series against us.

RC_Drunkford
05-08-2019, 06:55 PM
I don't know why people here interpret Green's comments like he's throwing Pop under the bus. He's simply pointing out different coaching styles. And it's clear that Nurse asks his players for their opinion cause he's not a real coach. He's a rookie and is getting outcoached by Brett Brown who's not a good coach either.

FkLA
05-08-2019, 07:11 PM

Nah, I don't really think it's that. Forbes and Wombat's future in the league was pretty uncertain when they first arrived in SA and he's never been a hard ass with them. My guess is it's young players that aren't 100% submissive to him that get on his bad side. Bert has a temper and guys like Green/JSimms seem like they're prototypical outspoken, young black guys.

elec7ro
05-08-2019, 07:43 PM

I made a whole ass account just to tell you you're a fucking dumbass. I just found this website 3 days ago and through the whole thing there is one constant. You with your ignorant ass stupid ass takes. All the shit you talk about PATFO, your terrible degrading takes about every rookie we draft and your overall opinion about the team makes it clear you're a fucking troll.

timvp
05-08-2019, 07:56 PM
I made a whole ass account just to tell you you're a fucking dumbass. I just found this website 3 days ago and through the whole thing there is one constant. You with your ignorant ass stupid ass takes. All the shit you talk about PATFO, your terrible degrading takes about every rookie we draft and your overall opinion about the team makes it clear you're a fucking troll.

ROY material, ladies and gents.

JeffDuncan
05-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Best first post ever.

TDomination
05-08-2019, 10:10 PM
:clap

WallyTiger
05-10-2019, 09:52 AM

lol
unfortunately spurstalk full of "real coach and truther", youll see.

HarlemHeat37
05-11-2019, 04:36 PM
"We have a lot of freedom here to be able to do things you want to do on the floor," Leonard said. "The biggest thing that I feel like I experienced this year is just learning about my game a little bit more with the more freedom that they have."

Play Boban
05-11-2019, 04:39 PM
:wow

Future GOAT tbh. Welcome to the forum, future legend. Can I get your autograph now before you get famous??? :wow

RD2191
05-11-2019, 05:09 PM
"We have a lot of freedom here to be able to do things you want to do on the floor," Leonard said. "The biggest thing that I feel like I experienced this year is just learning about my game a little bit more with the more freedom that they have."

Pop held Kawhi back confirmed tbh

RC_Drunkford
05-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Kawhi got a whole lot of freedom cause Nurse doesn't know how to coach

alpha_HaZE
05-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Isn't that what Yiannis Antentonkoumpo said about Bud and Kidd? Bud is the better coach, and so is Pop. You guys are reading too much into to it.

daslicer
05-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Kawhi got a whole lot of freedom cause Nurse doesn't know how to coach

Pretty much this. The raptors offense is just a freestyle offense with no set structure. They can get far with #2 isos but ultimately I can't see them winning a championship with that type of offense. If they win tomorrow then they will either go down to the Bucks or Warriors.

apalisoc_9
05-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Triggered snowflake

Geo210SpursSanAnto.
05-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Fuck kawhitter, and fuck danny green... Oh ya stephen and horry where you salty bitches at? 5 chips ......

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2019, 05:59 AM
https://streamable.com/02b8f

Green throwing his new coach under the bus now, saying he doesn't run plays for him or Gasol :lol
(https://streamable.com/02b8f)

exstatic
05-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Larry and the Pistons won in 2004. He also won an NCAA title with KU. Only coach to ever pull that double. You might try being less stupid. That, combined with your obvious bias makes you totally lack any credibility on this forum.

weebo
05-19-2019, 08:58 AM
U completely missed the point... Having the qualities of giving ur players freedom doesn't make u a bad or weak coach... Kerr has had the best team in the league even before KD, and he allowed them tons of freedom... Larry Brown was rigid and never won a championship

Bro are you serious? Dumb shit you've said so far...Larry Brown, in fact, is the only coach to have won both an NBA (2004) and NCAA (1988) titles.

Dejounte
05-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Bro are you serious? Dumb shit you've said so far...Larry Brown, in fact, is the only coach to have won both an NBA (2004) and NCAA (1988) titles.

Duncan2k5 spews garbage and never facts. Get used to it.