05-07-2019, 12:50 AM
https://i.imgur.com/c4ENzzT.jpg

Sekou Doumbouya

Position: SF/PF
Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 230
Wingspan: 6-foot-11
Draft Range: 8 to 20

Why: Perfectly built for today's NBA: tall, long, muscular frame with ample athleticism. He's fluid with quick feet and impressive coordination for an 18-year-old. While he's still extremely raw, he flashes an enticing amount of scoring ability, competitiveness and assertiveness. His outside shot isn't yet mastered but his standstill jumper is mechanically sound. All in all, it's intriguing that he's already this good despite playing the game for only six years.

Why Not: So far, it's unclear if PF or SF is his long-term position. If he's a future PF, his upside wouldn't be nearly as high. He's a good but not great athlete: not quick off his feet, not overly fast and sometimes has robotic movements. Defensively, while he can certainly wreak havoc at times due to his length, he'd need to start from scratch to learn the fundamentals. Offensively, his decision-making is shaky at best and he can disappear for stretches.

Spurs Fit: He'd have to buy a home in Austin. The goal would be to mold him into a SF eventually.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Mike Mitchell

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Europe Stats (https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/sekou-omar-doumbouya-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SnUmwgUhVo)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/sekou-doumbouya)
BSO Profile (https://basketballsocietyonline.com/sekou-doumbouya-scouting-report)

Chinook
05-07-2019, 01:34 AM
I've yet to fall for him as a prospect. I could understand PATFO taking him at 19 with the idea that he's two years away and then taking a more NBA-ready guy at 29. I'm just not getting a good feeling from what I read about him. Just seems like a dude folks will fall in love with and defend for years despite him not playing well. I'd need to see that he can have success at lower levels before believing he can get better.

apalisoc_9
05-07-2019, 01:46 AM
Easy pass on this guy. Ive seen him play and a lot of his weakness seem to be instinctinve and his shot and general offense is pretty questionable even among his peers.

He's got a pretty mechanical shot and its ok when wide open, but theres very little room of improvement in that end. Most guys who shoot like him end up becoming average to below average shooters in the league.

If he is still around in the 2nd round..maybe? But thats unlikely. At his age though..you wont see a minute of him until he is 23.

Ocotillo
05-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu

That's his floor!! Do it RC. Now if only we can find a James White! clone.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
05-07-2019, 07:41 AM
At one point I was seeing projections that he would be available at 29, which I would have no problem with. Now that he appears likely to go in the teens think there will be better options especially since I think he ultimately ends up a PF based on fluidity or lack thereof of his movements defensively.

Russ
05-07-2019, 08:04 AM
https://i.imgur.com/c4ENzzT.jpg

Sekou Doumbouya

Position: SF/PF
Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 230
Wingspan: 6-foot-11
Draft Range: 8 to 20

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Mike Mitchell

Since the Greek Freak never played for the Spurs, its tough to find a Spurs comparator.

This could be the guy to take if he falls because he may have the most potential of anyone who could slip to 19 (although he likely won't).

There's even a YouTube video entitled "San Antonio Spurs Greatest Draft Project Sekou Doumbouya - Giannis Antetokounmpo 2.0?"

ia62AshUEKE

r0drig0lac
05-07-2019, 08:21 AM
future spur

kobyz
05-07-2019, 08:36 AM
High ceiling/low floor guy, reminds me Aaron Gordon coming out of Arizona...

exstatic
05-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Since the Greek Freak never played for the Spurs, its tough to find a Spurs comparator.

This could be the guy to take if he falls because he may have the most potential of anyone who could slip to 19 (although he likely won't).

There's even a YouTube video entitled "San Antonio Spurs Greatest Draft Project Sekou Doumbouya - Giannis Antetokounmpo 2.0?"

ia62AshUEKE

He's not even in the same conversation as the Greek Freak. He's two inches shorter, his wingspan is four inches shorter, and he lacks the freakish athleticism of the GF.

Russ
05-07-2019, 08:47 AM
He's not even in the same conversation as the Greek Freak. He's two inches shorter, his wingspan is four inches shorter, and he lacks the freakish athleticism of the GF.

I think they were the same size at 18 -- remember, as the video points out, the Greek Freak grew an inch his rookie year.

Guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks to see where he goes and then wait a few years to see how far he goes.

I just have the same feeling about him I had about Kawhi Leonard and DJ Murray at this stage.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-07-2019, 08:50 AM
If he is their at 19 I could see us maybe drafting him. I wonder if he would try and force his way to the NBA as soon as possible though. He might turn out better if he does come straight over and get run in the development league instead of playing overseas.

He is a very interesting prospect and like many players outside the top 5, the combine could really help his draft stock soar or drop a bit

Mugen
05-07-2019, 08:52 AM
I'm all for him at 19 tbh. He's got all the physical tools and if he's selected that means the FO thinks they can turn him into a 3.

Whomever the Spurs select will be buried in Austin anyways despite what the Suckers think, might as well get a guy that might end up being a monster in 2 years.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
05-07-2019, 09:23 AM
If he is able to improve his quickness and becomes a bit more athletic as he matures, then he definitely has a high ceiling, but after watching some videos I saw more roadblocks to him reaching that ceiling.

ZeusWillJudge
05-07-2019, 10:18 AM
He got into INSEP, which he really needed to develop - but he got kicked out for disciplinary reasons.

He turned pro and did okay in his first season (considering his age), but didn't really improve in his second season. There's some grumbling that he's not very coachable.

He's got some athleticism, but not freakishly so. He's got some natural athletic ability, but hasn't done a great deal to improve it. He's 18, and looking to get paid. I hope he does get paid - just not by the Spurs.

exstatic
05-07-2019, 10:39 AM
He got into INSEP, which he really needed to develop - but he got kicked out for disciplinary reasons.

He turned pro and did okay in his first season (considering his age), but didn't really improve in his second season. There's some grumbling that he's not very coachable.

He's got some athleticism, but not freakishly so. He's got some natural athletic ability, but hasn't done a great deal to improve it. He's 18, and looking to get paid. I hope he does get paid - just not by the Spurs.

Yeah, those would be red flags for the organization...

Russ
05-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Yeah, those would be red flags for the organization...

Hopefully, teams 1 through 18 will also see those "red flags." (But I doubt it.)

Degoat
05-07-2019, 10:44 AM
I kinda see some Stephen Jackson in his game, I definitely wouldn’t mind him at 19, could see the Celtics selecting him with their 14th pick

ZeusWillJudge
05-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Hopefully, teams 1 through 18 will also see those "red flags." (But I doubt it.)

You said that you have the same feeling about him that you had about Kawhi. Is that just a hunch?

Kawhi was a notorious gym rat - Doumbouya isn't. Really the only knock on Kawhi was that he wasn't much of a shooter from the perimeter - but he was obviously an amazing and committed defender.

I'm just curious what it is that makes you think he's got Kawhi-level potential.
I see him developing a lot more like Frank Ntilikina than Kawhi Leonard.

Russ
05-07-2019, 11:23 AM
I'm just curious what it is that makes you think he's got Kawhi-level potential.
I see him developing a lot more like Frank Ntilikina than Kawhi Leonard.

Because he might be drafted by the Spurs.

If Kawhi was drafted by another outfit, he wouldn't be Kawhi.

If Batum was drafted by the Spurs, he would be a different (more prominent) NBA player.

If Diaw had been originally drafted by the Spurs, his career would have had a different trajectory.

Sekou Doumbouya has that same feeling.

Seventyniner
05-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Wouldn't LJC be a more appropriate floor? There's a lot of parallels there, no?

Russ
05-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't LJC be a more appropriate floor? There's a lot of parallels there, no?

No.

exstatic
05-07-2019, 11:29 AM

If Batum was drafted by the Spurs, he would be a different (more prominent) NBA player.

If Diaw had been originally drafted by the Spurs, his career would have had a different trajectory.

I've often thought that would have ended badly. Boris came late to the Spurs as a FA in a supporting role, but I don't think 2003 Pop would have put up with his laissez-faire attitude, and he would have likely been traded or not had his option picked up.

I think that attitude and engagement are things that are either a part of you, or not, and that they can't be taught.

ZeusWillJudge
05-07-2019, 11:43 AM

I can live with that. I don't know if he's got the drive, commitment, smarts, etc. to turn into that kind of a player. He's going to need all that to even approach the kind of ceiling people are giving him credit for. But if the Spurs draft him, we'll have an answer to that. They won't bank on raw potential without having a good idea that he's got the worth ethic to develop it.

BackHome
05-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Yeah no matter how talented if they have work ethic or attitude issues Spurs will not touch them
and rightly so.

TheGreatYacht
05-08-2019, 02:25 AM
No.

He's closer to Livio than he is Giannis.

Fusternino
05-08-2019, 02:53 AM
Yeah this guy really isn't that impressive upon further inspection.

timvp
05-08-2019, 03:21 AM

Yeah, I think this is a pretty big deal. I've never heard of any halfway decent prospect getting kicked out of INSEP. As far as character red flags go, that's up there.

And it's a shame too because INSEP has produced some players with genius level basketball IQ -- Parker and Diaw being two. (Those two and Horry might be have had the highest basketball IQs of any Spurs during the Pop era, tbh.)

Give Doumbouya even 20% of that basketball IQ and he's a top five pick. Instead he got kicked out.

Is that alone reason for the Spurs not to draft him? Maybe. Then again, they probably still have enough French connections to figure out exactly what happened . . .

duncan2150
05-08-2019, 06:00 AM
He's closer to Livio than he is Giannis.

He is totally different than Livio. The only thing is that they are french...

this guy is all about upside, he could be really good. He has the physical tools and playing on french league for two years at his age is not easy.

What i saw in him is that nobody could say he will be bad, all will depend on his developement.

kobyz
05-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Seems that he's similar prospect to Nasir Little just 2-3 inches bigger...

ZeusWillJudge
05-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Is that alone reason for the Spurs not to draft him? Maybe. Then again, they probably still have enough French connections to figure out exactly what happened . . .

That right there. That's one of the big reasons why relationships matter so much. And why a good scout is worth a lot. Besides, the kid was what, 16-17? I don't know about the rest of you, but I did some pretty stupid things at 16 - and you see what a fine, well-adjusted person I turned out to be.

The admittedly little bit I've seen of him didn't impress me as much as it has a lot of people. And for some reason I can't help remembering all the hype surrounding Bismack Biyombo when he entered the draft. This ain't that, so maybe he's the real deal and I just can't see it.

duncan2150
05-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I think this is a pretty big deal. I've never heard of any halfway decent prospect getting kicked out of INSEP. As far as character red flags go, that's up there.

And it's a shame too because INSEP has produced some players with genius level basketball IQ -- Parker and Diaw being two. (Those two and Horry might be have had the highest basketball IQs of any Spurs during the Pop era, tbh.)

Give Doumbouya even 20% of that basketball IQ and he's a top five pick. Instead he got kicked out.

I think there is some misunderstanding about his case.

He was kicking out of insep at 15, not for some big issues but for some behavior at school( French basketball president said that). Not with his coaches or teammates.

And again he was 15, since then you don’t have a story with doumbouya and I tell you that from France.

People need to to understand that he played at a high level at 16, if he reach his potential he could be really good but that’s the debate for me: his ceiling.

I don’t know but he has the body, the tools, that will probably take 2-3 years.

Strategic
05-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Sometimes young men’s decisions and reputations are products of their influencers(think Kawhi and the Ball brothers). Not sure if Pop is ready to fight another one of these potential battles though, regardless of the root.

look_at_g_shred
05-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Yeah this guy really isn't that impressive upon further inspection.
:lol:

ZeusWillJudge
05-16-2019, 08:06 AM
That's his floor!! Do it RC. Now if only we can find a James White! clone.

I was looking at some stats from the combine, and remembered your comment. I remembered that White was a hell of an athlete, but I didn't remember that he had one of the highest vertical leaps in NBA history. He tie with four other guys (including Jordan) at 46", second only to Wilt and Darrell Griffeth at 48".

There's an example of a guy with all the athleticism that people want on the Spurs, but without the head. Still, he might play in "today's NBA".

duncan2150
05-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Just made his career high in French league : 34 points (5/7 at 3pt) with 9 rebounds.

Imo he could be the spurs target more than rui or others but will probably be gone before our pick.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Not everyone can be gone before the Spurs pick. I'm pretty confident that the consensus top 3 will be gone, but no one else would surprise me if they were there. Just too many guys in the same tier. Even if all of the forwards are gone by 19, the guards and centers who are left will be way better than you'd normally get in the bottom half of the first.

duncan2150
05-18-2019, 06:47 PM
I totally agree someone good Will probably fall to us That's why i don't want to package both picks to move up

DPG21920
05-19-2019, 12:45 PM
I totally agree someone good Will probably fall to us That's why i don't want to package both picks to move up

I only want to move up if there is someone the Spurs love. They usually don’t miss if they get into the lottery or near it; so they have earned my trust. I would rather have 1 guy they really love vs 2 guys they like.

Beyond that, I am more hoping for a trade of a guard or two so we can truly see minutes open up.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 01:01 PM
I'm fine with moving up. I don't see the Spurs' taking on another two development rookies if they're still trying to bring along Metu.

timvp
05-19-2019, 02:13 PM
I only want to move up if there is someone the Spurs love. They usually don’t miss if they get into the lottery or near it; so they have earned my trust.

Pop and RC have moved up in the first round only once in their 25 years: Kawhi Leonard. It's safe to say they don't make that decision lightly.

Ocotillo
05-20-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm fine with moving up. I don't see the Spurs' taking on another two development rookies if they're still trying to bring along Metu.

Serious question, you think Metu factors into the future? I had high hopes at the beginning of last season but the guy did not seem to progress even in Austin. You actually watch the games up there sometimes, do you see something?

Pavlov
05-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Serious question, you think Metu factors into the future? I had high hopes at the beginning of last season but the guy did not seem to progress even in Austin. You actually watch the games up there sometimes, do you see something?Yeah, he looks like he should be able to develop to do a little bit of everything in the NBA but currently doesn't look like he can do anything consistently. May just be in the overwhelmed stage a lot of Spurs rookies go through -- Walker was really in the same boat much of the season. I think right now he has decent athleticism and handles which would be his strengths in the NBA but his shooting has got to improve for him to be able to stay on the court with any other big man. I'm sure they saw him as a two year project so I'm still penciling him in on the roster unless he shows absolutely nothing in SL and training camp.

ZeusWillJudge
05-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Serious question, you think Metu factors into the future? I had high hopes at the beginning of last season but the guy did not seem to progress even in Austin. You actually watch the games up there sometimes, do you see something?

Look at the way the game is being played right now, especially by the better playoff teams, and picks/screens are everything. Okay, not everything - obviously shooters. But without agile screeners, these NBA offenses would go to hell pretty quickly. Metu was one of the top PnR bigs in the country at USC. He doesn't have the size to be a banger in the middle, but he does have the physical attribute to be a finesse/agile big in the "new NBA". But the learning curve for that is usually 2-3 years, especially for someone drafted at 49.

It's way too early to write him off. He's got to improve his shot, for sure, and he didn't play with a lot of confidence. But his college stats and his first year in the NBA aren't too different from a guy like Marcus Morris. I still think he could become a solid role player. And the role he would play is valuable in today's game. I don't think the Spurs are going to give up on him this year.

BackHome
05-20-2019, 01:30 PM
I remember Sean Elliott talking about how crazy some teams write off their first round draft picks so fast. He was like if you draft a guy who has only played one or two years of college it’s going to take probably 3 years before you know what you really have.

TD 21
05-20-2019, 04:37 PM
I only want to move up if there is someone the Spurs love. They usually don’t miss if they get into the lottery or near it; so they have earned my trust. I would rather have 1 guy they really love vs 2 guys they like.

Beyond that, I am more hoping for a trade of a guard or two so we can truly see minutes open up.

Exactly. Considering they now have depth of youth, the goal should be attempting to fill the obvious, glaring need on the wing. It's likely the only real chance to do that is to move up.

Little most closely resembles the rough outline of the type they need and he seems a personality fit too. I would guess 15 is his floor. The Celtics pick 14th and prioritize long, athletic, projectable 3 and D wings and if they end up trading for Davis, will have to surrender at least one of Tatum or Brown, in addition to Smart. Meanwhile, the Pistons pick 15th and don't have a single big wing.

Pop and RC have moved up in the first round only once in their 25 years: Kawhi Leonard. It's safe to say they don't make that decision lightly.

Yeah, but that's probably mostly due to their lacking the ammunition. That's no longer a problem and that along with what I alluded to up above, the imbalanced roster and this supposedly being a weak draft (with no obvious pick projected at 19), means the timing is right.

DPG21920
05-20-2019, 05:53 PM

For sure; was more of a comment made with regards to if SA moves up you have to think they LOVE the player which gives me Uber confidence in said player.

ace3g
05-30-2019, 10:40 PM
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1134296767388946433

ace3g
06-08-2019, 01:34 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1137425038624415746

sexinthatsx
06-09-2019, 02:08 AM
Hasheem Thabeet v.2.0

Fusternino
06-09-2019, 05:20 AM
Updated wingspan?

MaNu4Tres
06-09-2019, 07:30 AM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1137425038624415746

RC was there, fwiw.

Russ
06-09-2019, 09:30 AM
RC was there, fwiw.

SD has been moving up the mocks for weeks. Now, he's top 10 in many -- virtually impossible that he falls to 19 (but he'd be great if he did).

exstatic
06-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Hasheem Thabeet v.2.0

Doubtful, since he’s neither a center, nor a projected top draft pick. More like the next Skal Labissiere.

duncan2150
06-09-2019, 05:04 PM
He is pascal siakam clone in terms of size, standing reach, lbs....

Ocotillo
06-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Doubtful, since he’s neither a center, nor a projected top draft pick. More like the next Skal Labissiere. There's a name I had forgotten.

exstatic
06-09-2019, 05:17 PM
There's a name I had forgotten.

So have a lot of people, yet he was just as tantalizing in his draft year.

duncan2150
06-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Doumbouya will be way better than labissiere imo.

exstatic
06-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Doumbouya will be way better than labissiere imo.

Yeah, and everyone thought Skal would be better than the previous touted bust. The reality is, there is a lot better chance of him becoming Skal than there is of hm becoming Siakam.

duncan2150
06-09-2019, 06:55 PM
I’m not agree, labissiere was viewed as a very talented player before his ncaa season but after one season he showed a lot of Red flags.

There is some reasons why he was drafted at the end of the first, doumbouya will be a lotto pick After playing 2 years at the Pro level in france.

Imo they have no similarities, we’ll see in a few years.

exstatic
06-09-2019, 11:17 PM
I’m not agree, labissiere was viewed as a very talented player before his ncaa season but after one season he showed a lot of Red flags.

There is some reasons why he was drafted at the end of the first, doumbouya will be a lotto pick After playing 2 years at the Pro level in france.

Imo they have no similarities, we’ll see in a few years.
Sekou got kicked out of INSEP, his own red flag. We’ll see where he goes.

Degoat
06-09-2019, 11:27 PM
I’d love for the spurs to get this guy. Him, nassir Little, or Rui Hachimura are on my wish list even though I know there’s a high probability that they’ll all be gone before the 19th pick lol

ceperez
06-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Next to zero chance he's available at #19:

Sekou Doumbouya 10 15 9 12 11 11 9

look_at_g_shred
06-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Spurs will send the 19th pick, Marco Belinelli, and veteran guard Patty Mills to the Boston Celtics in exchange for 14th pick (Sekou)

exstatic
06-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Spurs will send the 19th pick, Marco Belinelli, and veteran guard Patty Mills to the Boston Celtics in exchange for 14th pick (Sekou)

Why are they switch picks, AND taking out our garbage?

look_at_g_shred
06-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Why are they switch picks, AND taking out our garbage?
Because in my fantasy, they are desperate enough to replace Rozier & Irving with Beli/Mills

ace3g
06-15-2019, 11:00 AM
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1139910984804503552

Degoat
06-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Idk how valuable 19, 29, and say probably Davis Bertans are but I definitely could see the spurs moving up if they like any of these guys like sekou

cd021
06-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Probably a little late for Sekou but Forbes and Bertans for John Leur and the 15th pick would work financially.

Spurs would have 15, 19, and 29.
Detroit would get 2 rotation players that can actually shoot for the price of a player that played only 49 games over the past couple of seasons.

I happen to like both Forbes and Bertans so I don't know if I would actually want a trade like this, though.

cd021
06-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Idk how valuable 19, 29, and say probably Davis Bertans are but I definitely could see the spurs moving up if they like any of these guys like sekou

Maybe 19 and 29 for Miami's 13th pick.

Degoat
06-15-2019, 12:08 PM

thats kinda what I’m thinking, idk how low of a pick we could get but I’d assume we would move up by just trading both of are first round picks

LCM
06-15-2019, 12:21 PM

This worked on a trade machine, for what it's worth:

Heat - 19th pick, Bertans, Belli

Spurs - 13th pick, Olynik

Heat get shooters and 13 million in extra cap relief for summer of 2020. Spurs take on Olynik contract that expires the same time as DD, LMA contracts and get a pick where you could draft potentially Little, Rui, or Sekou

mo7888
06-15-2019, 12:56 PM

I think that's more likely. I don't see us wanting 3 1st rounders on the roster.

cd021
06-15-2019, 01:29 PM
This worked on a trade machine, for what it's worth:

Heat - 19th pick, Bertans, Belli

Spurs - 13th pick, Olynik

Heat get shooters and 13 million in extra cap relief for summer of 2020. Spurs take on Olynik contract that expires the same time as DD, LMA contracts and get a pick where you could draft potentially Little, Rui, or Sekou

It would have to be 29 for that trade to make sense for the Spurs tbh. Miami would essientially be swapping out a player who isn't in their rotation and basically dead salary to them for 2 good rotation players making basically the same as Olynyk while only dropping back 6 spots. Having 29 swapped in for 19 means that they would drop back 16 spots but also save money for the 20-21 season and get better for the 19-20 season.

Spurs would clear the log jam at guard, allow for more playing time for Forbes and Walker with White and Murray set have bigger roles and pick up a good pick (Sekou, Rui, or Little- like you said but probably in this order for me) and still have the 19th pick. I like that scenario a lot.

PG-Murray, Mills,
SG-White, Forbes
SF-DDR, Walker
PF-LMA, Gay, Sekou
C-Poeltl, Olynyk, Metu, 19th pick

Trueblood
06-15-2019, 01:32 PM

There was a recent article that showed the last few draft trades and what they could get in return for 19 & 29. Based on previous pick value the Spurs could safely assume to move up to 15 maybe 14. Unless they REALLY like the guy I don't want to lose 29 for 4 spots. I still feel there's a lot of value at the back of the draft

timvp
06-17-2019, 01:37 PM
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1139910984804503552

It's interesting that the Spurs were able to get a workout with Sekou considering there's no chance he could drop to 19. Since he doesn't have much time for workouts (he was playing in Europe until recently), to get Sekou in for a workout, the Spurs would need to convince his agent that they had a chance to move up into his range (~6-13).

Making it even more interesting is his agent is Bouna Ndiaye, the same agent who has gone the extra mile to try to get his clients on the Spurs. It seems like RC and co. trust him enough to let him know about possible trades they wouldn't tell other agents.

Hmmm... :stirpot:

Mugen
06-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Sekou has been my guy for a few months now tbh. I'd be thrilled if the Spurs move up to get him, even better if they can offload a loser like Beli or Forbes as well...

Duncan2177
06-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Sekou has been my guy for a few months now tbh. I'd be thrilled if the Spurs move up to get him, even better if they can offload a loser like Beli or Forbes as well...

Or Mills but that's a real long shot.

Kevin
06-17-2019, 02:09 PM
One trade idea I've tinkered with involving the Heat would be sending DD to them in exchange for Ryan Anderson, the 13 plus the Wayne Ellington trade exception. Not sure if either team would do that deal.

exstatic
06-17-2019, 02:10 PM
It's interesting that the Spurs were able to get a workout with Sekou considering there's no chance he could drop to 19. Since he doesn't have much time for workouts (he was playing in Europe until recently), to get Sekou in for a workout, the Spurs would need to convince his agent that they had a chance to move up into his range (~6-13).

Making it even more interesting is his agent is Bouna Ndiaye, the same agent who has gone the extra mile to try to get his clients on the Spurs. It seems like RC and co. trust him enough to let him know about possible trades they wouldn't tell other agents.

The most obvious pick is ATL #10. Much more of a longshot would be #6, if PHO wants Ball, and we have something that PATFO would be willing to move and that N.O. would want.

exstatic
06-17-2019, 02:13 PM
One trade idea I've tinkered with involving the Heat would be sending DD to them in exchange for Ryan Anderson, the 13 plus the Wayne Ellington trade exception. Not sure if either team would do that deal.

You can't actually trade a trade exception. Pick 13 is also cutting it REAL close, the outside range of when Sekou will be picked.

look_at_g_shred
06-17-2019, 02:36 PM
If the spurs traded up for a certain player (sekou) does that mean he'd play next season?

kobyz
06-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Can spurs model his game towards kawhi?

Ditty
06-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Please draft this guy, Spurs...

rjv
06-17-2019, 04:46 PM
spurs would really have to move up for sekou. i can't see him being available past the 9th pick (washington).

EricB
06-17-2019, 04:52 PM
If the spurs traded up for a certain player (sekou) does that mean he'd play next season?

Yes he’d be with the team.

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Which of his clients were on the Spurs?

rjv
06-17-2019, 05:13 PM
i'm just trying to think of what team would be a possible trade partner to move up with and i really can only think of atlanta but i don't know what they would take from us and what we would have to take back in exchange.

Mugen
06-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Derozan + Bertans + 19th for Bazemore & the 6th tbh...ATL has shooting to mask Derozan (Young, Huerter, Collins) and thats a franchise always looking for ways to fill seats.....Bazemore is a terrible contract but cheaper than Derozan and a better fit tbh....

r0drig0lac
06-17-2019, 05:19 PM
i'm just trying to think of what team would be a possible trade partner to move up with and i really can only think of atlanta but i don't know what they would take from us and what we would have to take back in exchange.

spurs: pick 8 + pick 10 + Tyler Jonhson + Josh or Warren
hawks: pick 6 + Bertans + Josh or Warren
Suns : pick 19 + Demar Derozan

exstatic
06-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Well, right now they have 8, 10, and 17. They seem to be in full-on rebuild mode, so I doubt they'd be interested in DD or LMA. Their cap sheet is pretty clean, as is ours. We'd likely swap 10/19 with them and maybe one of our youngsters for one of theirs.

EricB
06-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Derozan + Bertans + 19th for Bazemore & the 6th tbh...ATL has shooting to mask Derozan (Young, Huerter, Collins) and thats a franchise always looking for ways to fill seats.....Bazemore is a terrible contract but cheaper than Derozan and a better fit tbh....

Wheres the puke emoji. For Bazemore and that contract...

rjv
06-17-2019, 05:38 PM
Well, right now they have 8, 10, and 17. They seem to be in full-on rebuild mode, so I doubt they'd be interested in DD or LMA. Their cap sheet is pretty clean, as is ours. We'd likely swap 10/19 with them and maybe one of our youngsters for one of theirs.

i'd be fine with this (forbes comes to mind, if they'd have him).

Mugen
06-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Bend over, I'll show you a puke emoji.

exstatic
06-17-2019, 06:06 PM
i'd be fine with this (forbes comes to mind, if they'd have him).

They'd want more than Forbes to move up 9 spots. Think: one of White, DM, or LW IV. THIS would be exactly why you draft guards three years in a row with your first round pick, and why you always pick BPA. When the time comes, you swap what you have for what you need.

ace3g
06-17-2019, 06:26 PM

Player
2018/19
2019/20
2020/21
2021/22
2022/23

Nicolas Batum (https://hoopshype.com/player/nicolas-batum/salary/)
$24,000,000
$25,565,217
$27,130,434
$0
$0

Rudy Gobert (https://hoopshype.com/player/rudy-gobert/salary/)
$22,991,573
$24,258,427
$25,775,281
$0
$0

Evan Fournier (https://hoopshype.com/player/evan-fournier/salary/)
$17,000,000
$17,000,000
$17,000,000
$0
$0

Ian Mahinmi (https://hoopshype.com/player/ian-mahinmi/salary/)
$16,000,000
$16,000,000
$0
$0
$0

Frank Ntilikina (https://hoopshype.com/player/frank-ntilikina/salary/)
$4,155,720
$4,855,800
$6,176,578
$8,326,027
$0

Totals
$84,147,293
$87,679,444
$69,905,715
$0
$0

https://hoopshype.com/reps/bouna-ndiaye/

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 06:34 PM

Dude that contract is amazing for SA, he’s fully off the books after next season and fits well this year to help keep SA in the playoffs. It would free up all of the DeRozan money on the books after this season (28M) - that is massive for flexibility

timvp
06-17-2019, 06:38 PM

He hid Mahinmi and not only hid Batum but he concocted an issue with Batum's heart to help him fall in the draft. Almost worked, tbh. There were also a couple summer league invites he directed to the Spurs.

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
That would actually be a good and realistic trade. Even gives Spurs enough room to sign Bogdanovic

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Player
2018/19
2019/20
2020/21
2021/22
2022/23

Nicolas Batum (https://hoopshype.com/player/nicolas-batum/salary/)
$24,000,000
$25,565,217
$27,130,434
$0
$0

Rudy Gobert (https://hoopshype.com/player/rudy-gobert/salary/)
$22,991,573
$24,258,427
$25,775,281
$0
$0

Evan Fournier (https://hoopshype.com/player/evan-fournier/salary/)
$17,000,000
$17,000,000
$17,000,000
$0
$0

Ian Mahinmi (https://hoopshype.com/player/ian-mahinmi/salary/)
$16,000,000
$16,000,000
$0
$0
$0

Frank Ntilikina (https://hoopshype.com/player/frank-ntilikina/salary/)
$4,155,720
$4,855,800
$6,176,578
$8,326,027
$0

Totals
$84,147,293
$87,679,444
$69,905,715
$0
$0

https://hoopshype.com/reps/bouna-ndiaye/
Only 1 Spurs player but all of them were in rumors to land on the Spurs at some point, so I see the pattern. After the recent drama having an agent who prefers your franchise would be a plus as well

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 08:45 PM
The Suns have discussed forwards T.J. Warren and Josh Jackson in several separate trade packages, as well as the No. 6 pick, (https://theathletic.com/1026128/2019/06/17/charanias-inside-pass-the-trade-offers-for-anthony-davis-plus-more-league-notes/) league sources said. #6 and Warren for DeRozan and #19? That could be the move

Fusternino
06-17-2019, 09:48 PM
#6 and Warren for DeRozan and #19? That could be the move

That would be a complete fleece.

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 10:38 PM

just a suggestion, it could also be DeRozan and #19 for just the 6th pick or DeRozan, 19th and 29th pick for Warren and #6. But you have to consider that they want to move those players and need a 2nd guard to pair up Booker with. I think they would even take Patty in the right scenario. Teir 6th pick is a legit target

Mugen
06-17-2019, 10:45 PM
One of the silver linings of the Nephew debacle is that teams should be lining up to trade with RC and the FO :lmao

Dennis the Menace
06-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Essientially Kawhi & Danny for a #6, Jakob (#9), #29

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-18-2019, 05:52 AM
He is going to go well before we can get him. All the teams that are drafting in the top 10 wouldn't want anything our team can offer them in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong and RC can work some magic but I doubt it

The guy looks like he could become a great player if he goes to the right situation.

EricB
06-18-2019, 06:04 AM
#6 and Warren for DeRozan and #19? That could be the move

Josh Jackson and the 6 for Bertans Forbes 19,29 and a first rounder next year.

EricB
06-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Plus DeRozan. On top of all that. That might get you the 6. I’ve wanted Josh Jackson and think he’s one summer away with Chip of becoming a 3 and D bench guy.

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2019, 08:00 AM
Plus DeRozan. On top of all that. That might get you the 6. I’ve wanted Josh Jackson and think he’s one summer away with Chip of becoming a 3 and D bench guy.

I think that whole police chase thing is a red flag for PATFO, but besides NOLA only Phoenix is looking to trade their pick out of the top 10 teams, so those are the teams to come to terms with if they indeed want to draft him

buttsR4rebounding
06-18-2019, 08:08 AM
I think that whole police chase thing is a red flag for PATFO, but besides NOLA only Phoenix is looking to trade their pick out of the top 10 teams, so those are the teams to come to terms with if they indeed want to draft him

Atlanta will do something. No way they use all 6 draft picks. It may not be 8 or 10, but it is possible.

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Atlanta will do something. No way they use all 6 draft picks. It may not be 8 or 10, but it is possible.

they are trying to move up though, I don't think they'd be interested in DeRozan

Chinook
06-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Seems more likely that the Spurs having a good relationship with Doumbouya's agent let them get a workout with him if though they're supposed to be out of range. If you refuse to work out with mid-round teams but fall past the top clubs, you could slide pretty far. Happened to Deyonte Davis and may well have ruined his career. The Spurs offer a very strong floor, especially since they have two picks. It also never hurts to have the PATFO stamp of approval. I bet a lot of teams are really sensitive to whomever the Spurs like, so rumor that SA wants to move up for Sekou probably solidifies him in the eyes of folks who were iffy on him due to his lack of production and character issues.

kobyz
06-19-2019, 12:34 AM
This is how you get him, trade DeMar DeRozan to Miami for Whiteside and #13, trade #13 and #29 to Washington for #9 - draft Sekou

BatManu20
06-19-2019, 03:01 PM

BatManu20
06-19-2019, 03:02 PM
One of the silver linings of the Nephew debacle is that teams should be lining up to trade with RC and the FO :lmao

:lol

duncan2150
06-19-2019, 03:11 PM

They will try to move up for him or little. I’m convinced by that from the beginning. Will be hard to have Sekou tough.

NASpurs
06-19-2019, 03:20 PM

As a great all time band once said: " Quit playing games with my heart".

slick'81
06-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Get this kid rc!

Mugen
06-19-2019, 04:08 PM
If a nobody like this Jeff G guy is getting wind of the Spurs possibly trading up, that basically confirms the Spurs are staying at 19 :lol

cd021
06-19-2019, 04:24 PM

That would actually be a good and realistic trade. Even gives Spurs enough room to sign Bogdanovic

Why would Atlanta do that deal? Getting DeRozan and Bertans and giving up the 8th pick doesn't make since when they could just continue to stay bad next season and get another high pick. Adding DDR would be a floor raiser for such a bad team.

Could see Bertans being someone that they like though.

cd021
06-19-2019, 04:29 PM

Seems like the Spurs may actually do something. Then again, knowing PATFO, they'll probably just stay pat and hope he falls.

timvp
06-19-2019, 04:41 PM
Hopefully Bouna Ndiaye, Sekou's agent, can work his magic. I heard the reason he's especially close to Buford is because the Spurs basically launched his career by agreeing to take Mahinmi in the first round (that was Ndiaye's first client to get drafted in the first round). Since then, Ndiaye cornered the market on French basketball talent.

He allllllllmost got Batum and Gobert to the Spurs. Sekou would be a challenge but there must be some confidence there, otherwise neither side would be wasting their time...

Russ
06-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Of the "Big 3" at #19, Sekou Doumbouya is the least likely to be there. (The other two are Keldon Johnson and Kevin Porter Jr.)

Dejounte
06-19-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure. We didnt even work out Murray and we drafted him. A lot of smoke, for sure.

cd021
06-19-2019, 05:02 PM
According to Hoop Hype's draft aggregator, he is projected at 9th. So at ATL would be the most likely candidate with 8 and 10.

Mugen
06-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Of the "Big 3" at #19, Sekou Doumbouya is the least likely to be there. (The other two are Keldon Johnson and Kevin Porter Jr.)

:lol Whose Big 3 is that?

exstatic
06-19-2019, 05:10 PM
According to Hoop Hype's draft aggregator, he is projected at 9th. So at ATL would be the most likely candidate with 8 and 10.

What I'm hearing is that N.O. isn't looking to play the long rebuild game. They have the #1 pick and some nice pieces, but are looking for veteran talent. I don't think they're thinking in terms of deep playoff success, maybe just getting to the show. They might be open to #4 for Demar, who is a very good regular season player, and could push them into the post season. An alternative could be Ball to PHO, #6 to us, and Demar to N.O.

Russ
06-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Hopefully Bouna Ndiaye, Sekou's agent, can work his magic.

This sounds like a "polite" workout to stay on the right side of the French Foreign Legion (including TP and all the rest).

First, the Spurs almost never work out someone they could actually get.

Second, SD is way out of their range (he'll likely go between 6 and 13).

Mugen
06-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Yeah, all this stuff just seems like a favor to his agent to drive his value up.

He was outside the lottery a few months ago, some good worksout + the Spurs being interested = moving into a top 10 pick.

cd021
06-19-2019, 05:28 PM
What I'm hearing is that N.O. isn't looking to play the long rebuild game. They have the #1 pick and some nice pieces, but are looking for veteran talent. I don't think they're thinking in terms of deep playoff success, maybe just getting to the show. They might be open to #4 for Demar, who is a very good regular season player, and could push them into the post season. An alternative could be Ball to PHO, #6 to us, and Demar to N.O.

Would jump at trading DeMar to NO but not 100% sure of the trade construction given the impending Lakers trade and DeRozan's massive deal. Lakers would have to make the pick for the Spurs though, that would be great tbh.

The PHX, NOP, Spurs deal would be better tbh, but I think there would have to be outgoing salary but the Spurs should get a decent amount of cap space out of that deal.

BacktoBasics
06-19-2019, 05:33 PM
I hope I'm wrong but the idea the DeMar can bring a top 10 pick is absurd in my mind. I think he might bring a 12-15 pick as long as you sweeten it with the 19th. But I don't see any real value in a deal like that.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Would jump at trading DeMar to NO but not 100% sure of the trade construction given the impending Lakers trade and DeRozan's massive deal. Lakers would have to make the pick for the Spurs though, that would be great tbh.

The PHX, NOP, Spurs deal would be better tbh, but I think there would have to be outgoing salary but the Spurs should get a decent amount of cap space out of that deal.

I think that by sending out Ball, N.O. could absorb DeMar's contract outright. If PHO can absorb Ball's deal, that deal works, AND we get a huge trade exception.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 05:45 PM
I hope I'm wrong but the idea the DeMar can bring a top 10 pick is absurd in my mind. I think he might bring a 12-15 pick as long as you sweeten it with the 19th. But I don't see any real value in a deal like that.

It depends on what a team's goal is. It seems like N.O. is trying to ramp up the winning and get into the playoffs. I'm not sure that anyone they pick at #4 (or #6 if they flip Ball) can help push that effort forward this year. DeMar's 21/6/6 would, though. The good thing for N.O. is they get a nice boost in wins, but they aren't locked into DD forever. The most they can get stuck with is 2 years.

mo7888
06-19-2019, 05:56 PM
I think that by sending out Ball, N.O. could absorb DeMar's contract outright. If PHO can absorb Ball's deal, that deal works, AND we get a huge trade exception.

I don't see DDR fitting on NOLA, I think if they wanted anyone from us it would be LMA.

jjktkk
06-19-2019, 07:05 PM
If a nobody like this Jeff G guy is getting wind of the Spurs possibly trading up, that basically confirms the Spurs are staying at 19 :lol

Jeff G is actually a credible source, but I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Mugen
06-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Jeff G is actually a credible source, but I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Why do you think he's credible? Is it because he doesn't criticize the Spurs organization at all? :lol

CGD
06-19-2019, 09:11 PM

I mean it kind of has to be a play to swap 10 for 19 with Atlanta, no? That’s Sekou’s range.

CGD
06-19-2019, 09:13 PM
This sounds like a "polite" workout to stay on the right side of the French Foreign Legion (including TP and all the rest).

First, the Spurs almost never work out someone they could actually get.

Second, SD is way out of their range (he'll likely go between 6 and 13).

This seems right. Could also be a play to generate more buzz around him. Spurs doing the agent a solid this time as opposed to the other way around

ZeusWillJudge
06-19-2019, 09:56 PM

More to the point, ATL has three first round picks that are all higher than the Spurs' pick - 8, 10, and 17. Not only that, but they own the 35 and 41 picks, which have a good chance of landing a sleeper and/or a high-upside project. They also have a shitload of cap room to absorb the contracts of a couple of proven, high-profile veterans. There's absolutely no way that they're going to settle for three rookies, IMO. Get a good vet or two, and you know what your rookies have to mesh with. 8 has the most value, carries the most leverage for them in acquiring a good vet player. So unless there's somebody they just really love and don't want to risk going to Chicago (or their trade partner), I think that's the pick they'll move.

I hate to even say this out loud, but it may be one of the few places where DDR's contract is actually moveable. I know people here bitch about him, but he's worth a lot of regular season wins, especially in the East. If the team plays a wide-open style, he's dynamic and should fill some seats. Honestly, there aren't many available players who they could count on for more.
I hope it's not for Doumbouya. I know a lot of people are sold on him, but I don't like spending that much to trade up that far, and still having that much risk.

I'm not advocating it, or saying that it will happen. But if the Spurs are going to move up, there aren't many scenarios I see that are more likely. To be honest, I really kind of covet that 35 pick that the Hawks are holding, too. I think there will be some steals in the early second round, for the teams that can find them.

ZeusWillJudge
06-19-2019, 09:58 PM
BTW - to be honest, I really kind of covet that 35 pick that the Hawks are holding, too. I think there will be some steals in the early second round, for the teams that can find them.

John B
06-19-2019, 10:25 PM
More to the point, ATL has three first round picks that are all higher than the Spurs' pick - 8, 10, and 17. Not only that, but they own the 35 and 41 picks, which have a good chance of landing a sleeper and/or a high-upside project. They also have a shitload of cap room to absorb the contracts of a couple of proven, high-profile veterans. There's absolutely no way that they're going to settle for three rookies, IMO. Get a good vet or two, and you know what your rookies have to mesh with. 8 has the most value, carries the most leverage for them in acquiring a good vet player. So unless there's somebody they just really love and don't want to risk going to Chicago (or their trade partner), I think that's the pick they'll move.

I hate to even say this out loud, but it may be one of the few places where DDR's contract is actually moveable. I know people here bitch about him, but he's worth a lot of regular season wins, especially in the East. If the team plays a wide-open style, he's dynamic and should fill some seats. Honestly, there aren't many available players who they could count on for more.
I hope it's not for Doumbouya. I know a lot of people are sold on him, but I don't like spending that much to trade up that far, and still having that much risk.

I'm not advocating it, or saying that it will happen. But if the Spurs are going to move up, there aren't many scenarios I see that are more likely. To be honest, I really kind of covet that 35 pick that the Hawks are holding, too. I think there will be some steals in the early second round, for the teams that can find them.
Pick 8th and 35th sounds about good :bobo

ace3g
06-19-2019, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv9MiqIlYrI

timvp
06-19-2019, 10:35 PM
^ Did Sekou really call a foul on a foam finger at the 2:57 mark of that video? :lol

childishbambi
06-19-2019, 11:00 PM

So lonzo can get pick 6 and demar can't get the spurs 4? wtf
would phoenix really do that?

John B
06-19-2019, 11:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv9MiqIlYrI
Dang I’m sold to this guy. If PATFO could pull a DDR on 8th and 35th. We’re going young and still relevant. So excited sbout the draft. Go Spurs Go!

Dejounte
06-20-2019, 01:49 AM
This dude's frame is small, like his shoulders arent very wide. He also needs to hit the weight room more. His explosiveness looks impressive though.

cd021
06-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Really not getting the DDR for number 8 and 35 from Atlanta, feels like I missed a tweet or something because I don't think that that makes sense for Atlanta at all.

picnroll
06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
Really not getting the DDR for number 8 and 35 from Atlanta, feels like I missed a tweet or something because I don't think that that makes sense for Atlanta at all.

On any possible DDR trade he has no desirability or fit with any rebuilding team or team whose window is more than two years down the road. His only potential trade possibilities are to teams who believe they are in a two year window of significant title potential. Start there, figure where his game fits need and forget the rest.

So many ridiculous trade suggestions for DDR.

r0drig0lac
06-20-2019, 07:18 AM
the best option to trade Demar would be the Hornets

lmbebo
06-20-2019, 08:29 AM
the best option to trade Demar would be the Hornets

for who? They are going to be in the luxury tax, so we would have to take salary back ...

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-20-2019, 08:46 AM
for who? They are going to be in the luxury tax, so we would have to take salary back ...

Batum and 12. Saves them a ton of money but no way do I see the Spurs being sellers unless they really really love someone at 12. That Batum contract is poison.

r0drig0lac
06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

12 + Bismarck + Williams (both are expiring contracts) and the Hornets can show Kemba the intention of improving the team to convince him to stay.

maybe Belli + 29 + Demar

ace3g
01-07-2020, 08:23 PM
:cry

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1214709570532040705

https://twitter.com/InsideHoops/status/1214716237932089344

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENug7tcXsAIhTW7?format=jpg&name=large

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2020, 06:16 AM
that's what happens when you play for a coach who actually gives you minutes. Here he'd have to watch Belinelli for 2 years from the bench

exstatic
01-08-2020, 06:48 AM
that's what happens when you play for a coach who actually gives you minutes. Here he'd have to watch Belinelli for 2 years from the bench

What? A poster dunk? Is that what happens?

14.3 minutes 5.5pts. Wow, I’m slain by his instant All NBA talent.

Dejounte
01-08-2020, 07:00 AM

Lmfao these couch coaches will cry about anything

ZeusWillJudge
01-08-2020, 11:07 AM

I wasn't a fan of drafting Doumbouya, and I'm still not. But that's sort of off base. He had been playing in the G-League, and getting a few garbage minutes in Detroit. They've had him with the big club since just after New Years. He's been getting solid minutes, and he's had double digit points every game, and double digit rebounds twice. Admittedly two games have been against the Cavs and Dubs, but two have been against the Lakers and Clippers. One of his double-doubles was against the Clips. He's not a star - that's why he went 15 I the draft. But he's been averaging 13 points and 7 boards since he started getting solid minutes.

I don't think Doumbouya is smart enough to rely on, and he would have to go a long way with his stroke before he's any kind of shooter. But RC is right about the fact that he's being given a chance to improve with minutes. Of course, that only started a few days ago, so Casey isn't very far ahead of Pop in that regard.

exstatic
01-09-2020, 07:30 AM
I wasn't a fan of drafting Doumbouya, and I'm still not. But that's sort of off base. He had been playing in the G-League, and getting a few garbage minutes in Detroit. They've had him with the big club since just after New Years. He's been getting solid minutes, and he's had double digit points every game, and double digit rebounds twice. Admittedly two games have been against the Cavs and Dubs, but two have been against the Lakers and Clippers. One of his double-doubles was against the Clips. He's not a star - that's why he went 15 I the draft. But he's been averaging 13 points and 7 boards since he started getting solid minutes.

I don't think Doumbouya is smart enough to rely on, and he would have to go a long way with his stroke before he's any kind of shooter. But RC is right about the fact that he's being given a chance to improve with minutes. Of course, that only started a few days ago, so Casey isn't very far ahead of Pop in that regard.

Exactly. The reality is that Sekou is only getting minutes because Blake is down. Before that, he was as chained to the bench as Lonnie.

FkLA
10-05-2021, 07:51 PM
So many bad takes...

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1445548135577653252?t=tRgL9TGDW_qDsnQeI-f1Zw&s=19

exstatic
10-05-2021, 08:18 PM
So many bad takes...

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1445548135577653252?t=tRgL9TGDW_qDsnQeI-f1Zw&s=19

Bad and worse. He’s being dumped from BKN to Houston with an asset in order to be waived, and save BKN the tax cost.

Bye.

Degoat
10-05-2021, 08:31 PM
I still wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on him lmao

Chinook
10-05-2021, 08:38 PM
I still wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on him lmao

Yeah. They have at two-way spot and lowkey don't have a lot of PFs in their future pipeline. Out of the 18 guys on the TC roster, like seven of the top 10 guys most likely to not be on the team next year are forwards. Getting one with RFA rights for next summer isn't a bad idea. It's all about how much the Spurs liked him. You'd think Sekou would be getting told that SA would be a good landing spot for him otherwise.

SAGirl
10-05-2021, 09:27 PM
The guy is still 20 years old and could theoretically still develop skills. I think the big turnoff for me is that he's had a lot of opportunity to play (unlike Luka Samanic for example) and he has not improved anything at all. His stats (except for his passing which can be attributed to familiarity with teammates and some experience with the offense and is nothing special) look very similar both years. The team already has a young project big in Luka Samanic, so this is a big meh for me. what does he do well?

BacktoBasics
10-05-2021, 09:37 PM
The guy is still 20 years old and could theoretically still develop skills. I think the big turnoff for me is that he's had a lot of opportunity to play (unlike Luka Samanic for example) and he has not improved anything at all. His stats (except for his passing which can be attributed to familiarity with teammates and some experience with the offense and is nothing special) look very similar both years. The team already has a young project big in Luka Samanic, so this is a big meh for me. what does he do well?That’s a good argument for why it’s not always best to rack up regular minutes when you’re just not ready.

It’s certainly worth wondering how he would have done had he been on a team like the Spurs who exercise patience with developing players.

raybies
10-05-2021, 09:48 PM
The guy is still 20 years old and could theoretically still develop skills. I think the big turnoff for me is that he's had a lot of opportunity to play (unlike Luka Samanic for example) and he has not improved anything at all. His stats (except for his passing which can be attributed to familiarity with teammates and some experience with the offense and is nothing special) look very similar both years. The team already has a young project big in Luka Samanic, so this is a big meh for me. what does he do well?

It's what happens when, and i say some, kids get too much responsibility too young. If you are taking a buck and making 100 with it then give a kid 1000, i mean no need to constrict growth... this is what drives me nuts about pop and his balance with developing players.. it's very slow. But if a kid is shitting the bed with a penny then take that penny so to speak.. put his ass in the g league.

timvp
10-05-2021, 09:58 PM

Getting kicked out of INSEP should have been the red flag that no one should have missed, tbh.

exstatic
10-05-2021, 10:03 PM
Getting kicked out of INSEP should have been the red flag that no one should have missed, tbh.

So, he’s both awful, AND a head case? Where do I sign…

raybies
10-05-2021, 10:12 PM
watching his game and what he has become, he's pretty pedestrian. I'm not sure what role he plays in the modern game... He seems like a homeless mans Trey Lyles... i dunno, i'd have to watch more.

Rocalcio
10-06-2021, 03:12 AM

He doesn't have a good reputation here in France : Lazy, toxic clan, bad temper... That's a shame because he's definitely skilled and has the body for the modern NBA.