PDA

View Full Version : I’m in San Antonio this week for a conference

Pelicans78
05-09-2019, 07:01 PM
If anyone is out on the Riverwalk, i’ll be wearing my Dell Demps jersey.

Rosewood
05-09-2019, 07:16 PM
There's more to see in SA than the Riverwalk right?

Millennial_Messiah
05-09-2019, 07:28 PM
There's more to see in SA than the Riverwalk right?

You'd hope so, the riverwalk is a bird-poop infested green shithole :lol

but La Cantera, UTSA, Six Flags area is nice

BD24
05-09-2019, 10:01 PM
Southtown and the Pearl are both pretty dope tbh.

Pelicans78
05-10-2019, 07:11 AM
My conference is at the convention center and I’m staying right there as well. Pretty nice area.

Millennial_Messiah
05-10-2019, 09:08 AM
My conference is at the convention center and I’m staying right there as well. Pretty nice area.

To get a taste of what San Antonio is really all about, head to the Edgewood district on the Near West Side down Old Highway 90, or take a stroll in South San down Somerset Road south of the I-10 and I-35 exchange. And don't forget to walk around the area just west of the AT&T center, it's a nice midnight hike.

baseline bum
05-10-2019, 02:02 PM
To get a taste of what San Antonio is really all about, head to the Edgewood district on the Near West Side down Old Highway 90, or take a stroll in South San down Somerset Road south of the I-10 and I-35 exchange. And don't forget to walk around the area just west of the AT&T center, it's a nice midnight hike.

New Braunfels Ave after a Spurs game :lol

DJR210
05-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Yeah make sure to take the W.W. White historic district tour.. It's another good late night stroll

Zarzamora is beautiful this time of year :tu

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Try to enjoy the local scene in the area. I believe there is a Bubba Gump Shrimp on the Riverwalk. Or go upscale at a local favorite, Landry's.
Also, within walking distance, there's a Ripley's Believe it or Not and the famous, Tussaud's Waxworks.

Also...as seems to be a tradition, rent a scooter and throw it into the river.

Spurminator
05-10-2019, 02:35 PM
Took the wife to a nice Mexican place in San Antonio once. On The Border, I think?

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Took the wife to a nice Mexican place in San Antonio once. On The Border, I think?

LOL. Yeah...no better way to tell your wife you love here than buying here low end Texmex.

Millennial_Messiah
05-10-2019, 02:44 PM
Yeah make sure to take the W.W. White historic district tour.. It's another good late night stroll

Zarzamora is beautiful this time of year :tu

Right. Don't eat at some chain or big name Mexican place downtown. If you want to truly experience S.A. Mexican food, eat an a taqueria located in a smallish, flamboyant-colored, moderately dilapidated and flawed building, preferably next to a fence chalk-full of graffiti and a small strip-mall with bars on the windows.

These places may seem sketchy, but they have the most delicious Mexican food for extremely cheap prices.

Millennial_Messiah

:lmao low end texmex

might as well eat at Chuys, Fuzzys, El Fenix or Taco Bueno or hell, Taco Bell

SpursforSix
Right. Don't eat at some chain or big name Mexican place downtown. If you want to truly experience S.A. Mexican food, eat an a taqueria located in a smallish, flamboyant-colored, moderately dilapidated and flawed building, preferably next to a fence chalk-full of graffiti and a small strip-mall with bars on the windows.

and while they're there, they can fuck your mom

Millennial_Messiah
05-10-2019, 02:45 PM
and while they're there, they can fuck your mom

My mom is zero percent Hispanic, thank you

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 02:47 PM
My mom is zero percent Hispanic, thank you

Oh...I wasn't implying that at all. I was just saying that she's a whore that hangs out in bad areas.

Millennial_Messiah
05-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Oh...I wasn't implying that at all. I was just saying that she's a whore that hangs out in bad areas.

My mom lives on the far NW side, wtf are you talking about :lol

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 02:51 PM
My mom lives on the far NW side, wtf are you talking about :lol

the NW side of my crotch

Millennial_Messiah
05-10-2019, 02:52 PM
the NW side of my crotch

You're one creepy ass geriatrophilic motherfucker.

Spurminator
05-10-2019, 02:55 PM
LOL. Yeah...no better way to tell your wife you love here than buying here low end Texmex.

:lmao low end texmex

might as well eat at Chuys, Fuzzys, El Fenix or Taco Bueno or hell, Taco Bell

I don't know what you guys are talking about. We got some jalapeno poppers that were just like mi abuela used to make.

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 02:56 PM
You're one creepy ass geriatrophilic motherfucker.

Eh. Your mom is hot for a mongoloid street whore. I'm not ashamed.

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 02:58 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. We got some jalapeno poppers that were just like mi abuela used to make.

That's possible I guess. That they might do some things right. But taking your wife out for chips, salsa, and jalapeno poppers?
But I won't go as far to say OTB is as bad as Taco Bell or Taco Bueno. That's foolish.

Spurminator
05-10-2019, 03:02 PM
That's possible I guess. That they might do some things right. But taking your wife out for chips, salsa, and jalapeno poppers?

Well of course not, you've got to have an entree. I got the Dox XX Fish Tacos (made with real Mexican-brewed beer) and she got the Ranchiladas.

SpursforSix
05-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Well of course not, you've got to have an entree. I got the Dox XX Fish Tacos (made with real Mexican-brewed beer) and she got the Ranchiladas.

Hmmm...you're winning me over. I actually like the Dos XX tacos.

Darth_Pelican
05-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Try to enjoy the local scene in the area. I believe there is a Bubba Gump Shrimp on the Riverwalk. Or go upscale at a local favorite, Landry's.
Also, within walking distance, there's a Ripley's Believe it or Not and the famous, Tussaud's Waxworks.

Bubba Gump & Landry’s are both horrible here in New Orleans and are frowned upon as tourist trap chains. In fact, Bubba Gump shut down here. There has to be better local original restaurants in SA.

baseline bum
05-10-2019, 11:18 PM

:lmao

baseline bum
05-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Bubba Gump & Landry’s are both horrible here in New Orleans and are frowned upon as tourist trap chains. In fact, Bubba Gump shut down here. There has to be better local original restaurants in SA.

You could try Applebees or Whataburger, but sometimes the gems like that are going to require a drive from downtown.

Pelicans78
05-11-2019, 07:05 AM
Casa Rio was pretty solid. I liked it.

Landry’s sucks in Lake Charles. Overpriced as well.

Leaving today since the conference ends at 12.

SpursforSix
05-11-2019, 10:03 AM

That can’t be right. You must be thinking of different places.

MultiTroll
05-11-2019, 11:05 AM
You could hook up with SpursforSix and he could show you the fastest way to get thru grocery lines. :hungry:
That sounds like fun.

Millennial_Messiah
05-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Who would ever go to NOLA and go to a fucking Landry's? Yes I remember walking by 2 of them right there in the French Quarter, but the nameless places are so much better.

San Antonio is to Mexican food as NOLA is to Cajun creole food and Gulf style seafood. The best and cheapest places are in the higher-crime parts several miles from downtown San Antonio. Don't be surprised if the waitresses are fat and don't speak much English. Be prepared to order and know at least some conversational Spanish...

"harina" - flour
"maiz" - corn (tortilla)
"con/sin arroz" = with/without rice
"con/sin frijoles" = with/without beans
"coca" = Coke, but also could mean any kind of soda
"res" - beef
"pollo" - chicken
"puerco" - pork
"pescado" - fish
"salsa verde" - green sauce
"salsa roja" - red sauce
"chinga tu puta madre" - fuck your dirty whore mother

SpursforSix
05-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Who would ever go to NOLA and go to a fucking Landry's? Yes I remember walking by 2 of them right there in the French Quarter, but the nameless places are so much better.

San Antonio is to Mexican food as NOLA is to Cajun creole food and Gulf style seafood. The best and cheapest places are in the higher-crime parts several miles from downtown San Antonio. Don't be surprised if the waitresses are fat and don't speak much English. Be prepared to order and know at least some conversational Spanish...

"harina" - flour
"maiz" - corn (tortilla)
"con/sin arroz" = with/without rice
"con/sin frijoles" = with/without beans
"coca" = Coke, but also could mean any kind of soda
"res" - beef
"pollo" - chicken
"puerco" - pork
"pescado" - fish
"salsa verde" - green sauce
"salsa roja" - red sauce
"chinga tu puta madre" - fuck your dirty whore mother

Shut the fuck up. You’re just the type of person to go out of town and go to a chain restaurant.
You live in an area with a reasonable amount of decent Mexican restaurants but you go to Taco Bueno and Taco Cabana. Then bitch about it.

Millennial_Messiah
05-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Shut the fuck up. You’re just the type of person to go out of town and go to a chain restaurant.
You live in an area with a reasonable amount of decent Mexican restaurants but you go to Taco Bueno and Taco Cabana. Then bitch about it.

DFW doesn't have decent Mexican restaurants. Not like the Mexican food I was spoiled on growing up in SA, at least. I'm not going to spend $30/person on a "fine dining" Mexican restaurant in Dallas, because that's not the Mexican restaurant ambiance or pricing I was raised on. I was raised on holes-in-the-wall type places with the papeles picados decorating the interior and cheerful fat Mexican women serving my food, not gringos and negritos working there just for the decent wages.

For example.... when I was in Manhattan for a month last spring.... I didn't go to any chains. I did get the dollar pizza from a few dollar pizza places, but also tried the best pizza Manhattan had to offer that was within my budget... Joe's. A can't miss NYC staple.

When I was in Cincinatti for all of last August, I did go to Skyline and Gold Star, yes those are chains but they are local only chains... there's not really anywhere else you can really find Cincinnati chili? Plus all the locals go there anyway. I stopped going after the 3rd time because that Cincinnati chili really devastated my GI tract.

SpursforSix
05-11-2019, 12:34 PM
DFW doesn't have decent Mexican restaurants. Not like the Mexican food I was spoiled on growing up in SA, at least. I'm not going to spend $30/person on a "fine dining" Mexican restaurant in Dallas, because that's not the Mexican restaurant ambiance or pricing I was raised on. I was raised on holes-in-the-wall type places with the papeles picados decorating the interior and cheerful fat Mexican women serving my food, not gringos and negritos working there just for the decent wages.

For example.... when I was in Manhattan for a month last spring.... I didn't go to any chains. I did get the dollar pizza from a few dollar pizza places, but also tried the best pizza Manhattan had to offer that was within my budget... Joe's. A can't miss NYC staple.

When I was in Cincinatti for all of last August, I did go to Skyline and Gold Star, yes those are chains but they are local only chains... there's not really anywhere else you can really find Cincinnati chili? Plus all the locals go there anyway. I stopped going after the 3rd time because that Cincinnati chili really devastated my GI tract.

I quit after the first paragraph. There’s plenty of hole in the wall places in Dallas. My guess is you’re to scared to be in those areas. But go ahead and keep eating Taco Bueno.

Millennial_Messiah
05-11-2019, 12:42 PM
I quit after the first paragraph. There’s plenty of hole in the wall places in Dallas. My guess is you’re to scared to be in those areas. But go ahead and keep eating Taco Bueno.

Mainly because I don't know about them. There was a hole in the wall place in a gas station in Denton that I only knew about because my favorite Chicano friend Angel from UNT knew about it. But as far as Plano/Carrollton area goes, I'm clueless and all the fellow gringos up here I talk to keep talking up Chuys and Del Frisco, which are mediocre and way overpriced.

I'm not scared to go to a Mexican area. Obviously it's safer in SA because my mom's around but I wasn't scared to walk to Taqueria Estrella in Denton and I wouldn't be scared up here either. I just don't know where to go. It seems all the less-well-off places in DFW are majority black, not Hispanic unlike in SA.

And for the record, I don't eat at Taco Bueno. I ate at the one inside the UNT Union in 2016 a few times because it came with my Flex Dollars. But I've never eaten at one ever since. Really haven't eaten any Mexican food north of SA since UNT graduation in 2016 aside from buying occasional cans of Juanita's Menudo from Walmart (which is surprisingly good).

Spurminator
05-11-2019, 12:46 PM

Unfortunately you can't find decent beef enchiladas in DFW and you have to make your own tacos because the best ones you can find out are the regular tacos at Jack in the Box.

BD24
05-11-2019, 11:41 PM
:lol