https://i.imgur.com/uhXr21u.jpg

Bruno Fernando

School: Maryland
Position: C
Height: 6-foot-10
Weight: 240
Wingspan: 7-foot-4
Draft Range: 18 to 38

Why: Angola native is a physical specimen: thick, muscular frame, powerful base, long arms. Great athlete: explosive off his feet, overwhelming strength, nimble feet. Ferocious dunker, good touch in the lane (with both hands) and developing an outside jumper is a possibility -- he was 3-for-10 from three and shot 77.9% at the line. Enough of a ball-handler to use his athleticism to drive to the hoop. Good instincts for rebounding; high ceiling defensively due to his tools. Improved immensely from freshman to sophomore year at Maryland.

Why Not: Extremely slow decision-maker; it's like he's using dial-up while everyone else is on fiber optic. Is he still learning the game or is that his fatal flaw? Doesn't know what to do when double-teamed. Robotic post moves. His passing went from terrible as a freshman to still-bad-but-better as a sophomore. Will be a high-turnover, high-foul bigman at least early in his career. Isn't much of a defender or shot blocker yet ... but that goes back to his poor internet connection.

Spurs Fit: A full year in Austin would do him a lot of good. Eventually, he could provide insurance if Poeltl gets too pricey.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: More Powerful Dewayne Dedmon

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Rawer Ian Mahinmi

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bruno-fernando-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZgmcF21qU)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/bruno-fernando)
BSO Profile (https://basketballsocietyonline.com/bruno-fernando-scouting-report)

Chinook
05-10-2019, 01:01 AM
If PATFO believe in him, it makes some sense. I don't like him as much if he's a C only. I'm not married to Poeltl, but with him and Milutinov, the five isn't a huge need. I'd rather use the pick on someone who can play with the young core going forward. Obviously, at 29, who cares? But I still have hopes for the idea player at 19. Maybe that ends up being Fernando. Just not certain.

kobyz
05-10-2019, 06:33 AM
Spurs comparison: post injured Antonio Mcdyess

Dejounte
05-10-2019, 07:37 AM
We also still have Eubanks whom the Spurs are still high on.

Russ
05-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Might be a bit too similar to Poeltl for this roster at this point.

Mugen
05-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Please correct his ceiling to "Tiago's Errand Boy", thanks.

exstatic
05-10-2019, 09:23 AM
This will be the 4th draft since Mulitinov was selected. Since he's slid off of the rookie scale, he can ask for a lot. With Poeltl backing up LMA, and LMA under contract for two more years, I'm not sure Mulitinov will ever wear silver and black. A big average athlete Euro doesn't really fit today's NBA game, anyway, and that radical change has happened, with the rule changes, since he was drafted. Players who can't switch are death to lineups, and virtually unplayable in the postseason. I don't even figure him into plans to draft someone or not. The Spurs may just Hanga him out to dry, never bringing him over.

I think if they like Bruno, they'll take him, regardless of holding any draft rights. His draft stock won't be affected by anyone else.

DesignatedT
05-10-2019, 09:26 AM
I like him but with the emergence of Poeltl, I would prob rather use the 19 pick on a SF/PF.

DAF86
05-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Bruno Fernando has to be the gayest name of all-time. Yeah, even gayer than Gay.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-10-2019, 09:38 AM
This will be the 4th draft since Mulitinov was selected. Since he's slid off of the rookie scale, he can ask for a lot. With Poeltl backing up LMA, and LMA under contract for two more years, I'm not sure Mulitinov will ever wear silver and black. A big average athlete Euro doesn't really fit today's NBA game, anyway, and that radical change has happened, with the rule changes, since he was drafted. Players who can't switch are death to lineups, and virtually unplayable in the postseason. I don't even figure him into plans to draft someone or not. The Spurs may just Hanga him out to dry, never bringing him over.

I think if they like Bruno, they'll take him, regardless of holding any draft rights. His draft stock won't be affected by anyone else.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Milutinov-7116/

On Milutinov's draftexpress profile they stated he is a solid pick and roll defender who has good mobility. From the few clips I've seen the guy still moves pretty well but may need to slim up closer to his younger self which could help him get some of that quickness back. He is at the very least a decent trade asset to help the team move up in the draft

exstatic
05-10-2019, 09:42 AM

On Milutinov's draftexpress profile they stated he is a solid pick and roll defender who has good mobility. From the few clips I've seen the guy still moves pretty well but may need to slim up closer to his younger self which could help him get some of that quickness back. He is at the very least a decent trade asset to help the team move up in the draft

Those evaluations were done in 2015, before the massive changes to the rules that make bigs almost dinosaurs. Being a solid P'n'R defender doesn't mean you can switch onto the smaller players, and with the new rules limiting fighting through picks by the guard/wing defender, if you can't switch, you're surrendering an open jumper, period.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Milutinov can play right away in certain match-ups but he absolutely cannot and will not be able to switch on 3 point shooters effectively in the same NBA where a quick and super athletic Capela has to be benched.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Those evaluations were done in 2015, before the massive changes to the rules that make bigs almost dinosaurs. Being a solid P'n'R defender doesn't mean you can switch onto the smaller players, and with the new rules limiting fighting through picks by the guard/wing defender, if you can't switch, you're surrendering an open jumper, period.

I agree if you can't switch or at least isn't quick enough to hedge and recover fast on the screen setter you are a liability but even looking at his recent videos the guy does a good job hedging and recovering. Unless you've watched a lot of his euroleague games this season or even extensive highlight videos of his team how are you to know he will be a defensive liability? I've watched a decent amount of the highlights of his team and even I'm not 100% sure he will be good or trash at it in the NBA. Lol.

You are most likely correct that the team will do nothing with his draft rights but there is definitely a place for the guy on some NBA teams roster because he has proven in the 2nd best league in the world to be a productive player.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Milutinov can play right away in certain match-ups but he absolutely cannot and will not be able to switch on 3 point shooters effectively in the same NBA where a quick and super athletic Capela has to be benched.

Against most teams Capela doesn't get benched like he does against the Warriors. That team is the exception, not the rule for the league.

I do agree though he can be used for certain match ups because damn near every team, including the Warriors has at least 2 true centers on their roster.

pad300
05-10-2019, 02:14 PM
We also still have Eubanks whom the Spurs are still high on.

I'm not sure that the Spurs are still high on Eubanks. They brought in Donatas to be the "break glass in case of emergency" big for the playoffs, after getting a good look at Eubanks for a couple of weeks at the end of the season, when it would have been easier and (if i understand the cap math correctly) cheaper to upgrade Eubanks' contract to a vet min...

exstatic
05-10-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure that the Spurs are still high on Eubanks. They brought in Donatas to be the "break glass in case of emergency" big for the playoffs, after getting a good look at Eubanks for a couple of weeks at the end of the season, when it would have been easier and (if i understand the cap math correctly) cheaper to upgrade Eubanks' contract to a vet min...

Not that much cheaper, and it would likely have required that next year was guaranteed, closing off options this summer. DM is a veteran, and Pop tends to roll with them over a youngun in the playoffs.

duncan2150
05-31-2019, 12:01 PM
Maryland center Bruno Fernando, who worked out for Orlando today, said he’s also worked out for Boston, Charlotte and Detroit. (https://hoopshype.com/social/) He said he has workouts scheduled with Atlanta, Indiana, Minnesota, San Antonio and Utah.

Fusternino
05-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Sort of sold on getting this guy with 29. Could be the stretch 5 we need.

timvp
06-18-2019, 11:09 PM
I kinda like him as a sleeper pick at 29. Teams are undervaluing centers right now, so now might be the time to buy low on a center who prior to this year would have been a surefire first round pick, IMO.

At the very least, you pick Fernando and he allows you to let Poeltl walk if he gets too expensive next summer.

cd021
06-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Really liked what I saw of him but still prefer Roby at 29, then Okpala and Paschall.

BackHome
06-19-2019, 02:05 PM
I don’t know Denver bigs killed Poodle, Gay, and Bertans down low I am pretty sure that would not happen with Bruno. I do agree with you lot to like with Roby that would be a tough choice.