PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Warriors so beautiful to watch without Durant...

apalisoc_9
05-10-2019, 10:33 PM
No standing around.

They move the ball so well.

Back to Back Finals. Championship. Curry looking like a top 5 player again with Durant out. Klay hitting clutch shots.

One of the prettiest to watch. Ever. Please take your coattailing ass somewhere KD. The warriors dont need it. This is stephs team

HarlemHeat37
05-10-2019, 10:35 PM
Yep, they're by far the most fun team to watch without him..

When you're as historically talented as Durant, how do you join a team that doesn't even need you?:lol

AlexJones
05-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Steph Curry is the greatest winner ever.

midnightpulp
05-10-2019, 10:52 PM
It's because Durant's game is midrange centric (43% of attempts from 10-22 feet). Midrange centric players kill offensive flow today, which is why I'm still not sold on Kawhi being as a good as advertised, despite the nice PPGs. His RPM was pretty low this season for the "next Michael Jordan." Kevin Durant, who had something of a career year, only ranked 11th in RPM, which I think is low for how good his raw stats are. I still don't think a team taking 38 threes in a game is "beautiful basketball," but when you remove midrange shots from a modern offense, it'll be more effective.

apalisoc_9
05-10-2019, 10:58 PM
It's because Durant's game is midrange centric (43% of attempts from 10-22 feet). Midrange centric players kill offensive flow today, which is why I'm still not sold on Kawhi being as a good as advertised, despite the nice PPGs. His RPM was pretty low this season for the "next Michael Jordan." Kevin Durant, who had something of a career year, only ranked 11th in RPM, which I think is low for how good his raw stats are. I still don't think a team taking 38 threes in a game is "beautiful basketball," but when you remove midrange shots from a modern offense, it'll be more effective.

Midrange has its place in the game. The idea of having an elite midrange shooter stems from how defenses play. They largely ignore the midrange and just defend the 3 and paint.

The whole idea behind it is being able to go back in transition by taking easy to get high% shots.

You're a spursfans. This is how the spurs achieved top defense in the leonard era. This Golden State mentality with durant around.

Im surprised you dont see this.

The lack of ball movement is not because of the midrange shots. Its because of Durant.

LkrFan
05-10-2019, 11:16 PM

Houston shoots at least 38 3ptrs a game with virtually no midrange shots taken. How'd that turn out? Fishing early - again. :downspin:

midnightpulp
05-10-2019, 11:26 PM
Houston shoots at least 38 3ptrs a game with virtually no midrange shots taken. How'd that turn out? Fishing early - again. :downspin:

So did Golden State :lol. And they won the FT battle, not the midrange battle. They only made 2 shots outside of the paint vs. Houston's 2 shots.

DMC
05-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Steph Curry is the greatest winner ever.

Pretty sure Kobe can still blue pill his way to an erection. Don't be so quick to suck another cock just yet.

timvp
05-10-2019, 11:38 PM
I was reluctantly rooting for the Warriors as it was but they are actually a fun team to root for without Durant. Curry is obviously the greatest shooter ever and probably the most dangerous player ever but his unselfishness is off the charts. I've never seen a superstar care less about getting the spotlight. When Durant is getting his beta shine and reveling in his own snark, Curry is legitimately happy for him. Draymond is probably a top ten leader ever and a genius on the defensive end. Klay is a rock solid secondary piece. Sure, he's kinda overrated but he might be the second best shooter ever, doesn't care about attention and his chill personality helps make it all work.

And I'm happy for the legit Warriors fans out there. If that crowd-fueled Warriors team didn't beat the Mavs back in 2007, I'm not sure if the Spurs were going to beat the Mavs that year. Terrible matchup at the time.

midnightpulp
05-10-2019, 11:42 PM
Midrange has its place in the game. The idea of having an elite midrange shooter stems from how defenses play. They largely ignore the midrange and just defend the 3 and paint.

The whole idea behind it is being able to go back in transition by taking easy to get high% shots.

You're a spursfans. This is how the spurs achieved top defense in the leonard era. This Golden State mentality with durant around.

Im surprised you dont see this.

The lack of ball movement is not because of the midrange shots. Its because of Durant.

It's the only areas of the court worth defending. Not sure I get the second point? Are you saying taking midrange shots is a high percentage option? It isn't. And it doesn't make defending transition easier since you're further away from the opponent's goal than if you were setting up at the 3 point line. Here's the shot chart from tonight's game. Warriors took a total of 11 shots outside of the paint.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2ens28o.jpg

Here's Durant's shot chart from the last full game he played:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/14yb9te.jpg

He took 8 shots alone outside of the paint, with two more at just about the FT line.

A midrange shooter stagnates the offense more because they reduce spacing and often generate their shots in isolation vs. off the pick and roll (a pick-and-roll starting out from the 3 point line gives the roll man much more spacing to work with). Midrange play is deader than disco. It's turned into more of a desperation play when all other options aren't there.

Chillen
05-11-2019, 12:01 AM
I have to admit I like this team better without Durant because you get to see a brilliant shooter in Curry shine without KD carrying the load for them. It will be interesting to see if Warriors can keep shooting this well vs either Blazers or Nuggets as this team has plenty of mileage on their bodys from all the Finals appearences.

Spurtacular
05-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Warriors not championship pedigree without Durant. OP taking his retard pills.

LeGiannis
05-11-2019, 12:08 AM
As long as Kawhi stays healthy, I don't see GS beating Toronto. I think the Kawhi will get a chip this year.

apalisoc_9
05-11-2019, 12:21 AM
As long as Kawhi stays healthy, I don't see GS beating Toronto. I think the Kawhi will get a chip this year.

I dont even think Toronto can beat Philly in Toronto. Leonards supporting cast is an embarrasment

UZER
05-11-2019, 12:24 AM
Poetic justice if GS wins the title without kD after he bandwagoned the 73 win team and stole all the glory including 2 finals MVPs from Curry :lol

He will lose all credibility for his 2 rings, not that anyone respects them much anyway, but now the lack of respect will be validated.

Think about it, can he really be rooting for his team to win without him right now?

Beartrucci
05-11-2019, 09:44 AM
I have to admit I like this team better without Durant because you get to see a brilliant shooter in Curry shine without KD carrying the load for them. It will be interesting to see if Warriors can keep shooting this well vs either Blazers or Nuggets as this team has plenty of mileage on their bodys from all the Finals appearences.

Also you get to see more "beautiful game" -ish plays without KD out there. Really impressive how they can just return to that style on a whim

Oops just realized that was what OP's post was about :lol

Laker_1995
05-11-2019, 10:14 AM
I hate donkey but he is so smart in the PnR.

Mark Celibate
05-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Also you get to see more "beautiful game" -ish plays without KD out there. Really impressive how they can just return to that style on a whim

Oops just realized that was what OP's post was about :lol

Yeah that's the most impressive part about it all. That they could go right back to that style of play without missing a beat even though they've had to play with a ball-dominant Durant the past three years.

AchillesHeel
05-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Poetic justice if GS wins the title without kD after he bandwagoned the 73 win team and stole all the glory including 2 finals MVPs from Curry :lol

He will lose all credibility for his 2 rings, not that anyone respects them much anyway, but now the lack of respect will be validated.

Think about it, can he really be rooting for his team to win without him right now?

KD and Cousins are both set to return for the WCF. KD deserved a night off after the carry job in the first 10 games.

GS only needed KD to close out games/series because Curry's notorious for coming up short in big moments. Warriors would have lost in 6 without Durant.

HarlemHeat37
05-11-2019, 01:26 PM
KD and Cousins are both set to return for the WCF. KD deserved a night off after the carry job in the first 10 games.

GS only needed KD to close out games/series because Curry's notorious for coming up short in big moments. Warriors would have lost in 6 without Durant.
:lol

Durant's ONLY value to the Warriors is that they needed him to beat LeBron..

R. DeMurre
05-11-2019, 01:42 PM
I hate donkey but he is so smart in the PnR.

I've been thinking the same... plus, he's listed at 6'7", but I'm pretty sure he's 6'6" at the very most, and possibly a hair under. To play that big a role-- offensively and defensively-- as a 6'6" PF is pretty impressive.

R. DeMurre
05-11-2019, 01:48 PM
I've been thinking the same... plus, he's listed at 6'7", but I'm pretty sure he's 6'6" at the very most, and possible a hair under. To play that big a role-- offensively and defensively-- as a 6'6" PF is pretty impressive.

And that's also why I bet Golden State picks Matisse Thybulle in the draft if he's available...

lefty
05-11-2019, 02:13 PM

Yup

AlexJones
05-11-2019, 05:57 PM

They didnt need him imho, 2016 Cavs = the biggest fluke ever. Would've won in '17 without him

K...
05-11-2019, 06:38 PM
I just don't understand how anyone can actually like Durant. He's so insecure, I guess he did have so suffer from being pulled from Seattle to OKC, being paired with westbrook, having a shit coach for many years, but other than that, he's gotten whatever he wants and he has only shown a tad of grace since winning chips with the warriors.

Jeremy
05-11-2019, 06:38 PM
They didnt need him imho, 2016 Cavs = the biggest fluke ever. Would've won in '17 without him

It may have kept going back and forth every other year between Cavs and Warriors, without Durant. It was 1-1 until KD joined.

spursreport
05-11-2019, 07:41 PM
I’m not seeing it with this years Warrior roster. They keep having to make comebacks and rely on teams to outchoke them. That luck will run out in the Finals. Houston had multiple opportunities and flat out failed. The East is better equipped this season to take them down. I love the Bucks/Raptors chances against them this season. People will laugh, but people laughed at the Pistons chances of beating the Lakers in 2004...here comes the revisionists. :lol

DMC
05-11-2019, 07:44 PM
I’m not seeing it with this years Warrior roster. They keep having to make comebacks and rely on teams to outchoke them. That luck will run out in the Finals. Houston had multiple opportunities and flat out failed. The East is better equipped this season to take them down. I love the Bucks/Raptors chances against them this season. People will laugh, but people laughed at the Pistons chances of beating the Lakers in 2004...here comes the revisionists. :lol

The East relies on isoball a lot as well. The Warriors move the ball. Their best guy can be out and they are still the 73 win team that they were before he got there.

People who considered them to be stacking beyond reason now somehow think they are vulnerable. I don't get it.

spursreport
05-11-2019, 07:48 PM
The East relies on isoball a lot as well. The Warriors move the ball. Their best guy can be out and they are still the 73 win team that they were before he got there.

People who considered them to be stacking beyond reason now somehow think they are vulnerable. I don't get it.

I don’t consider them stacked at all this season. Their bench sucks. They are barley surviving right now and that was against Lou Williams and an inept Rockets team. You also picked Miami to win it all in 2014 so your points are pretty damn moot.

lefty
05-11-2019, 07:59 PM
:lmao holy shit , is Klay Thompson stoned or what?

https://streamable.com/9z9gi?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

spursreport
05-11-2019, 08:10 PM

Bucks are also ranked damn near the top 5 in team assists (only 1 full assist separates them from #2). Lay off the paint chips. They also have depth, length, an awesome superstar, a better supporting cast than Houston, ELITE pg defense, Malcolm Brogdon back, ELITE coaching, and even homecourt advantage. Did I mention length and better depth and coaching? Then again, you were advocating how the Heat were 3-peating in 2014 all year long, so this isn’t your first FAILED rodeo.

Beartrucci
05-11-2019, 08:38 PM
:lmao holy shit , is Klay Thompson stoned or what?

https://streamable.com/9z9gi?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

:lol he can be so awkward

DMC
05-11-2019, 11:26 PM
Bucks are also ranked damn near the top 5 in team assists (only 1 full assist separates them from #2). Lay off the paint chips. They also have depth, length, an awesome superstar, a better supporting cast than Houston, ELITE pg defense, Malcolm Brogdon back, ELITE coaching, and even homecourt advantage. Did I mention length and better depth and coaching? Then again, you were advocating how the Heat were 3-peating in 2014 all year long, so this isn’t your first FAILED rodeo.

Miami is 3-peating. I swear on my life they will. No fucking way this shit is ending for the Heatles. This team is set to become a Dynasty. This is just adversity at its fullest. Miami will 3-peat. It is going to happen. You can quote this shit.

You ain't foolin' anyone, clown.

AchillesHeel
05-12-2019, 04:09 AM

All they needed was Harrison Barnes to NOT go 5/32 on wide open shots in the last 3 games..

Millennial_Messiah
05-12-2019, 08:49 AM

They would have won in '16 too in 5 games if Gaymond didn't decide to punch LeBitch in the nuts

R. DeMurre
05-12-2019, 11:55 AM

There's a thread going upstairs where people are arguing that Steph isn't a very good shooter. It defies all logic.

DMC
05-12-2019, 02:39 PM
There's a thread going upstairs where people are arguing that Steph isn't a very good shooter. It defies all logic.

He's a statistical anomaly as a shooter, that's how good he is. His shot selection sometimes pushes him back to the realm of normal shooters though. He knows he's a great shooter, so that affects his shot selection. Klay has a similar problem. Some of that is due to having the horses to catch up, make or miss, and the knowledge that if they are "on", they can bury the opponent by 30 in just a few minutes.

lefty
06-08-2019, 02:04 AM
No standing around.

They move the ball so well.

Back to Back Finals. Championship. Curry looking like a top 5 player again with Durant out. Klay hitting clutch shots.

One of the prettiest to watch. Ever. Please take your coattailing ass somewhere KD. The warriors dont need it. This is stephs team
Yea, again shitty West teams

spursreport
06-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Good grief. :lmao