Mikeanaro
05-10-2019, 10:57 PM
sook that guy knows about choke jobs.

apalisoc_9
05-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Derozan and Aldridge dont choke. They're just not good. :lol

Dverde
05-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Lowry is a solid backup for CP3. CP3 actually has played great in big games lately. Maybe Lowry should start.

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Capela makes Bertans look hard by comparison. Completely destroyed by the pressure of the playoffs, he looked and played scared.

When he came in at the roughly 5:50 mark left in the 4th, I thought, "that's ball game."

daslicer
05-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Surprisingly I agree with this. Choking to me is when you are actually great and don't come through.

Degoat
05-10-2019, 11:10 PM
I do agree those guys choke but at least they make the playoffs every year though, guys like Kemba Walker, John wall, Bradley Beal, Anthony Davis, KAT, Devin booker cant even make the playoffs half the time

daslicer
05-10-2019, 11:11 PM
All time great choke team is

PG-CP3
SG-Harden
I don't have an SF but I'm going with Karl Malone and Barkley at the forward spots. Both had great opportunities to win titles during the '90's and didn't come through.
At center I'm going with Patrick Ewing. He had a few chances also during the 90's but didn't come through.

r0drig0lac
05-10-2019, 11:23 PM

Kurgan
05-10-2019, 11:52 PM

Spot on. Those two are what happens when crappy franchises draft Lou Williams and Horford tier players and tell them they're stars.

ducks
05-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Hilary Rodman. Clinton

testies
05-11-2019, 12:24 AM
CP3
Eric Gordon
Gerald Green
James Harden
Clint Capela

UZER
05-11-2019, 12:32 AM
Derozen’s low b-ball IQ make him to play bad in big moments, but at least he’s giving it his all out there.

Aldridge just fucking quits.

slick'81
05-11-2019, 12:56 AM
Def lowry&derfrozen at the top

SpurPadre
05-11-2019, 02:34 AM
I'd put Westbrook over CP3 in terms of playoff chokes, tbh.

duncan2150
05-11-2019, 05:45 AM
We can’t talk about chock this year for the rockets.

GreekSpursfan
05-11-2019, 05:47 AM
Even though i like D.White's potential going forward lets not forget who choked in our game 7 and lets hope that this is not the birth of another choke artist. A choke artist is someone you expect things from and he doesn't deliver not someone you don't expect much even though they are your highest paid players. And my last phrase leads to the same conclusion that this was Pop's best coaching job in his career.

DavidTheGoliath
05-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Even though i like D.White's potential going forward lets not forget who choked in our game 7 and lets hope that this is not the birth of another choke artist. A choke artist is someone you expect things from and he doesn't deliver not someone you don't expect much even though they are your highest paid players. And my last phrase leads to the same conclusion that this was Pop's best coaching job in his career.

You had high expectations of him. Thats on you. He's not even 100% to begin with. One great game and hes now the spurs savior. Lets put the breaks on that one and categorize him as a "serviceable" player, k?

GreekSpursfan
05-11-2019, 07:16 AM
You had high expectations of him. Thats on you. He's not even 100% to begin with. One great game and hes now the spurs savior. Lets put the breaks on that one and categorize him as a "serviceable" player, k?

He is the starting point guard and was MIA in the most important game of the season and yes i have expectations because he gave me the right to have them and it wasn't one game, he was our best defensive player most of the season and the playoffs but then game 7 came... I didn't expect him to put up points but i expected him to play the best defense he could play since it was THE game of the season.

Maddog
05-11-2019, 09:18 AM
CP played well last night.
Interestingly he's only ever gotten to the finals once in his career.
Harden has had sub-par elimination games at home 3 straight years.

If you want to complain about the Spurs, PATFO etc- look at the Rockets. Pretty much capped out. Have lost elimination games 3 straight years at home (2 in which the other teams best player was out). Despite this the Spurs have been in the same number of conference finals as Houston the last 3 years...

horseshue
05-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Westbrook, lowry, as a center towns or embiid.

horseshue
05-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Forgot about Ben simmons.

Dverde
05-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Forgot about Ben simmons.

I’d put Simmons over CP3 right now. CP3 has a spot on the 2010s decade team.

K...
05-11-2019, 10:18 AM
I don't think D'Antoni is a choker. He coaches a type of team that isn't playoff style. The suns lost to an equal or better spurs team, rockets lost to a better Golden state team. If you just look a the Rockets, the team is fragile like last year. The Warriors may be beat up and missing the League's best player, but they have champioship exp to win.

Honorable mention goes to Lebron James for not making the playoffs

DPG21920
05-11-2019, 10:28 AM

How you going to have LMA on the list with Harden when LMA destroyed Harden in a game 6 on his own home court to advance to a WCF with Kawhi getting load management?

DPG21920
05-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Choke is a lame term. I mean, I get its fun for fans, but many of these great players actually play pretty damn well even when losing most of the time.

There have been moments where they played really bad games in big spots, but for the most part, everyone’s numbers dip in the playoffs over a long enough sample. The key is doing the other things that win games besides scoring and sometimes its luck mixed in to.

Plus quality of opponents matter a ton as well. Basketball playoffs is the hardest sport; 7 game series now from first round to the finals. Its brutal.

I think the bigger thing is the guys with a plenty of talent that cant lead their teams to the playoffs consistently: Anthony Davis, etc..

R. DeMurre
05-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Choke is a lame term. I mean, I get its fun for fans, but many of these great players actually play pretty damn well even when losing most of the time.

There have been moments where they played really bad games in big spots, but for the most part, everyone’s numbers dip in the playoffs over a long enough sample. The key is doing the other things that win games besides scoring and sometimes its luck mixed in to.

Plus quality of opponents matter a ton as well. Basketball playoffs is the hardest sport; 7 game series now from first round to the finals. Its brutal.

I think the bigger thing is the guys with a plenty of talent that cant lead their teams to the playoffs consistently: Anthony Davis, etc..

:tu I agree, and people too often talk about results without context. A guy like Patrick Ewing never won a title, but he also never had a second guy as good as Pippen, Kobe, D Wade, or Manu. T Mac's career playoff stats are almost identical to his regular season stats, but again, he never played on great teams. D'Antoni might be a different story: he's had lots of shots with many talented players & could never get to the finals. He might just be a good coach who couldn't beat great coaches.

DPG21920
05-11-2019, 10:59 AM
:tu I agree, and people too often talk about results without context. A guy like Patrick Ewing never won a title, but he also never had a second guy as good as Pippen, Kobe, D Wade, or Manu. T Mac's career playoff stats are almost identical to his regular season stats, but again, he never played on great teams. D'Antoni might be a different story: he's had lots of shots with many talented players & could never get to the finals. He might just be a good, but not great, coach.

Ya, I could get if a guy like Harden who was winning MVP’s was missing the playoffs every other year or getting swept in the first round. But thats not the case. Winning a title is ridiculously hard and it’s not some fatal knock all the time.

R. DeMurre
05-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Ya, I could get if a guy like Harden who was winning MVP’s was missing the playoffs every other year or getting swept in the first round. But thats not the case. Winning a title is ridiculously hard and it’s not some fatal knock all the time.

If Jordan doesn't retire one year and come back late the next, Hakeem might not any rings. If the Spurs don't land Duncan in the draft, Robinson almost certainly retires ringless. They're both great players, either way.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Derrick white barely played 4 minutes in the second half, pop didn't give him a chance to see if he could pull out and Finnish strong. Curry was bad last night till the 4th. Give your players a chance

K...
05-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Durant is still a big choke, he just masks it well. if westbr0ok went to the warriors people would basically treat him like raymond and say he's the soul of the team.

Also, waiting for the greatest two way player of the last 4 years to get eliminated as he too has blown a few series

R. DeMurre
05-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Durant is still a big choke, he just masks it well. if westbr0ok went to the warriors people would basically treat him like raymond and say he's the soul of the team.

Also, waiting for the greatest two way player of the last 4 years to get eliminated as he too has blown a few series

Don't agree.

#1. Warriors wouldn't want Westbrook. He doesn't play the right way, and they're too smart to bring in a player like him.

#2. Durant was persuaded to join the Warriors by Jerry West, who has one of the all time great basketball minds. Two titles and two Finals MVPs later, Durant knows West was right. How can you call that choking?

cool cat
05-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Draymond Green
Stephen Curry
Klay Thompson
Harrison Barnes
Andrew Bogut

Regular Season all time win record 73.
Up 3-1 in the NBA finals & lost, that is the greatest choke job in NBA history

TheGreatYacht
05-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Westbrook-Lowry
Harden-DeRozan
Playoff P-Hayward
Griffin-Bertans
Drummond-Gobert

If that's not your list, it's wrong.

monty4329
05-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Draymond Green
Stephen Curry
Klay Thompson
Harrison Barnes
Andrew Bogut

Regular Season all time win record 73.
Up 3-1 in the NBA finals & lost, that is the greatest choke job in NBA history

By far

monty4329
05-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Must have at least one Spur from the team that thrown to the toilet a series losing a game being twice up 19 points.

Proxy
05-11-2019, 01:16 PM
every star on the teams that arent the champion this year, plus your committed spurs player hate/shtick. Your guys' humor is just next level, never seen anything like it.

Really impressed by yalls fortitude to copy paste the same opinions on countless threads under multiple accounts for all these years

DAF86
05-11-2019, 01:24 PM
CP3, Harden, DeRozan, Aldridge, Capela

How good/bad would that team be? :lol

koriwhat
05-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Derrick white barely played 4 minutes in the second half, pop didn't give him a chance to see if he could pull out and Finnish strong. Curry was bad last night till the 4th. Give your players a chance

:tu

FkLA
05-11-2019, 03:43 PM
He is the starting point guard and was MIA in the most important game of the season and yes i have expectations because he gave me the right to have them and it wasn't one game, he was our best defensive player most of the season and the playoffs but then game 7 came... I didn't expect him to put up points but i expected him to play the best defense he could play since it was THE game of the season.

He was MIA for one half. Just like the rest of the team outside of Rudy Gay was. Get that shit right.

The only difference is the other starters didn't have the coach's pet backing them up, so Pop kept playing them.

FkLA
05-11-2019, 03:48 PM
I didn't really watch the GS-HOU series this year, but I still don't get why Capela is getting labeled as this massive choker. First off, he's a high end role player not a star. Second, even if he was really bad this series, he's been solid player most of the time. It happens.

GreekSpursfan
05-11-2019, 06:56 PM
He was MIA for one half. Just like the rest of the team outside of Rudy Gay was. Get that shit right.

The only difference is the other starters didn't have the coach's pet backing them up, so Pop kept playing them.

I don't have expectations from the others because i know what i'm gonna get, but i had expectations from White, yes a first year player, because i believed in his defensive effort and IQ especially. And something else, the point guard is the engine of the team, when he's terrible, everyone looks terrible. You are still stuck with the Mills hatred which blinds you tbh.
When i watch a game, especially a game 7 my focus is on the defensive end and thats how i judge a player. I want to see effort even if a particular player has limitations due to his size in this case Mills, he at least showed me effort, i saw zero effort from White, his mind was somewhere else and he was terrible organizing the offence on the other end as well, we couldn't run any plays whatsoever and thats what probably pissed Pop and took him out.

GreekSpursfan
05-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Are you really putting Curry, a proven and tested 2 time MVP, in the same sentence as White. Come on man. And Warriors could afford to lose that game, for us it was the last game of the series, no MIAs are allowed in a game 7 imo.

Let me be very clear, i still believe in D.White's potential going forward but i'm just talking about this game.

CGD
05-11-2019, 07:03 PM
DuBeta should have an honorary mentiion. He rode coat tails/bought a “legacy” in order to cover up his chokiness.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Are you really putting Curry, a proven and tested 2 time MVP, in the same sentence as White. Come on man. And Warriors could afford to lose that game, for us it was the last game of the series, no MIAs are allowed in a game 7 imo.

Let me be very clear, i still believe in D.White's potential going forward but i'm just talking about this game.

No, I'm saying players can be bad one half then put on a performance the next half. Give him a chance, pop didn't do that.

Ozballer
05-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Must have at least one Spur from the team that thrown to the toilet a series losing a game being twice up 19 points.

You make a 19 point lead sound like a game clincher and there are multiple examples in these playoffs of those leads erased rather fast by a streak of three points, etc. The dubs had built a similar gap against the rockets in game five to lose it quickly. Similarly the Spurs came back from a similar deficit against Denver in game 3 or 6 I believe. The no contact rules + 3 ball make a 19 point lead important but not substantial these days. What we see i these playoffs is 90% of teams being unable to seal the deal when it presents itself. It simply shows that 90% of those teams are not championship caliber right now other than the Dubs, but some team has to win.

FkLA
05-11-2019, 08:05 PM
I don't have expectations from the others because i know what i'm gonna get, but i had expectations from White, yes a first year player, because i believed in his defensive effort and IQ especially. And something else, the point guard is the engine of the team, when he's terrible, everyone looks terrible. You are still stuck with the Mills hatred which blinds you tbh.
When i watch a game, especially a game 7 my focus is on the defensive end and thats how i judge a player. I want to see effort even if a particular player has limitations due to his size in this case Mills, he at least showed me effort, i saw zero effort from White, his mind was somewhere else and he was terrible organizing the offence on the other end as well, we couldn't run any plays whatsoever and thats what probably pissed Pop and took him out.

Get out of here with your cliches. Like yeah let's blame White, because he's the PG, on the poor start to that Game 7 by the rest of the team. :rolleyes

I also don't care if Wombat runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on defense, thus giving the appearance that he's "trying". It's not effective. He's a terrible defender by every single metric. You may be fooled by his running around but the numbers aren't. White OTOH is an all-defense level defender, regardless of what your eye test thinks.

Pop "benched" White because his pet was White's back-up not because of anything else. If Pop's pet was a wing or bigman instead of a PG, chances are Pop let's White play through his struggles like he did the rest of the team for that Game 7.

monty4329
05-13-2019, 05:48 AM
You make a 19 point lead sound like a game clincher and there are multiple examples in these playoffs of those leads erased rather fast by a streak of three points, etc. The dubs had built a similar gap against the rockets in game five to lose it quickly. Similarly the Spurs came back from a similar deficit against Denver in game 3 or 6 I believe. The no contact rules + 3 ball make a 19 point lead important but not substantial these days. What we see i these playoffs is 90% of teams being unable to seal the deal when it presents itself. It simply shows that 90% of those teams are not championship caliber right now other than the Dubs, but some team has to win.

It certainly is true that in this new era runs are easy to make, so you can go up big or get back from deep more frequently than in the past. Sure thing. DEN tonight lost after being up 17, in fact.

Nevertheless, it is still choking when you are up 19 not once (which I would understand) but twice -at several minutes distance. That is a choke, no matter the rules.

monty4329
05-13-2019, 05:50 AM
Get out of here with your cliches. Like yeah let's blame White, because he's the PG, on the poor start to that Game 7 by the rest of the team. :rolleyes

I also don't care if Wombat runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on defense, thus giving the appearance that he's "trying". It's not effective. He's a terrible defender by every single metric. You may be fooled by his running around but the numbers aren't. White OTOH is an all-defense level defender, regardless of what your eye test thinks.

Pop "benched" White because his pet was White's back-up not because of anything else. If Pop's pet was a wing or bigman instead of a PG, chances are Pop let's White play through his struggles like he did the rest of the team for that Game 7.

You make even less sense than your pal Bernie

Rummpd
05-13-2019, 05:50 AM
It certainly is true that in this new era runs are easy to make, so you can go up big or get back from deep more frequently than in the past. Sure thing. DEN tonight lost after being up 17, in fact.

Nevertheless, it is still choking when you are up 19 not once (which I would understand) but twice -at several minutes distance. That is a choke, no matter the rules.

And a bad coaching job by a great coach who in game situations - he has regressed to the mean or worse.

james evans
05-13-2019, 11:13 AM
If Jordan doesn't retire one year and come back late the next, Hakeem might not any rings. If the Spurs don't land Duncan in the draft, Robinson almost certainly retires ringless. They're both great players, either way.
people forget that without Grant or Rodman, the bulls wouldn't win another one. I think they would have won in 94, but 95 even with Jordan playing a whole season, without grant, they would have had no interior defense or rebounding. I have no idea why people PURPOSELY leave this out when pertaining to the bulls winning 8 straight. Grant was sick of the bs and being underpaid and was leaving regardless.

Drom John
05-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Basketball-Reference
In multiple seasons, from 1984 to 2019, in the playoffs, team lost game, sorted by descending Minutes Played

Then removing those that won championships [Duncan is second].

F Karl Malone
G John Stockton
F/C Charles Oakley
G/F Reggie Miller
C Patrick Ewing