https://i.imgur.com/50j2oKX.jpg

Jontay Porter

School: Missouri
Position: C
Height: 6-foot-11
Weight: 240
Wingspan: 7-feet
Draft Range: 25 to 45

Why: Great natural instincts for the game. Fantastic passer in all phases: outlet, high-low, on the move, from the block. Very good court vision, very good ball-handler for his size and sets rugged screens. Has all the skills to be a perimeter stretch five with ease. Sweet left-handed shooting stroke would make him a three-point threat right away. Has the size and bulk to be a good post defender down the line. Still young with untapped potential and could get in better shape to help athleticism. Spurs apparently like him. (https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/jontay-porter-i-would-have-been-a-first-round-pick/article_eca6f027-9085-5581-a111-564a3f7a2d28.html)

Why Not: Huge injury risk. Tore his ACL in October and then again in March. Unfortunate family history of injuries (NBA brother has missed two years of basketball, sister has torn her ACL five times, another sister has chronic knee problems). Even before torn ACL, was a highly underwhelming athlete. He's coordinated but no explosion, speed, strength or quickness. Doesn't have long arms. Turnovers and shot-selection issues as a freshman.

Spurs Fit: Would miss next season while recovering from knee injuries. The following season he'd likely be brought along slowly in Austin while working on his body. It'd be the 2020-21 season before he'd be ready for the NBA ... if he stays healthy.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Manu Ginobili's instincts in Fabricio Oberto's body

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Livio Jean-Charles' injury misfortune in Dwayne Schintzius' body

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jontay-porter-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY6KF-mNsVY)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/jontay-porter)
The Stepien Profile (https://www.thestepien.com/jontay-porter/)

exstatic
05-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Yuck

pad300
05-13-2019, 04:30 PM
At 49, I could get on board. At 29, I don't like it at all unless he's agreed to the deal I proposed last week (he sits his recovery year on his own dime, in return for a first round contract & associated guaranteed 2 years).

DesignatedT
05-13-2019, 04:31 PM
In the 2nd, maybe.

BWS-1994
05-13-2019, 04:35 PM
The extremes of high’s and low’s :wow

exstatic
05-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Kid was stupid. He had NOT been cleared for bball activities, and tore it again.

exstatic
05-13-2019, 04:38 PM
With his family history, he should have never gone back to school.

BWS-1994
05-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Kid was stupid. He had NOT been cleared for bball activities, and tore it again.

Woah. What does this say about his attitude? Or was he forced?

Blackhaus
05-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Hard hard pass. Need healthy prospects

Russ
05-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Woah. What does this say about his attitude?

Well, he's certainly no Kawhi Leonard. :)

exstatic
05-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Woah. What does this say about his attitude? Or was he forced?

No, he was just fucking around in the gym, thinking he was fine. At that point, you should ONLY be doing shooting and ball handling drills on the court ALONE, except for coaches.

R. DeMurre
05-13-2019, 05:23 PM
I wish the kid luck, but have to vote no on this one. The family history is just too scary.

KDKSpurs24
05-13-2019, 05:30 PM
No.

r0drig0lac
05-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Manu Ginobili's instincts in Fabricio Oberto's body

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

timvp
05-21-2019, 11:49 PM
If he's on the board at 49, it'd be really difficult to pass on him, IMO. One overlooked thing is he showed up at the combine in much better shape this year compared to last year (25 pounds lighter, body fat from 13.9% to 8.5%).

The fact that the Spurs front office is stable enough to wait multiple years on him could give them a unique edge compared to most of the other teams. I think his most likely outcome is his career gets derailed by injury but if he can get healthy, he has a high ceiling for a second round pick.

Chinook
05-22-2019, 12:20 AM
If the Spurs think he can be a key rotation player by year three, he's a fine pick at 29. I'm not convinced that he'll need a d-league year just because other players have. He could be a platoon-level guy as soon as he's able and can work his way up from there. So much of the "gap year" is learning to live like a pro, to play on a pro schedule, to think of basketball as a job rather than just a recreational activity. Just as Murray likely gained a lot of insight from his year away, Porter should too. Most folks here expect Poeltl to be re-upped, so the need to have Jontay come in and be a regular rotation guy probably isn't there anyway. Guys like him and Okeke really don't worry me anymore than super raw guys like Doumbouya and Little. MAYBE one of the picks ends up in the rotation this year, but the other almost certainly will not. The Spurs have to aim to fill the rotation through free agency or through the internal development/recovery of the vets.

Degoat
05-22-2019, 12:37 AM
Saw an interview of him at this years NBA combine, seems like a really good kid. Call me crazy but I could see the spurs taking him 29th, I definitely wouldn’t be thrilled with it but I could understand the reasoning. Are 2nd round pick would be a no brainer

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2019, 09:31 AM
That injury history attached with the family injuries is just too terrifying.

pad300
05-22-2019, 10:18 AM
At 49, he'd be a worthwhile gamble.

That injury history attached with the family injuries is just too terrifying.

but you're quite right, any higher than that and I think we can find a better gamble (risk vs return).

exstatic
05-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Saw an interview of him at this years NBA combine, seems like a really good kid. Call me crazy but I could see the spurs taking him 29th, I definitely wouldn’t be thrilled with it but I could understand the reasoning. Are 2nd round pick would be a no brainer

OK, you're crazy. A first round contract is two years guaranteed, with options for two more years at the team's discretion. He's already going to miss year one, and get paid for it, which might be OK, if he didn't have that family history. So, after year 1, but before year 2, you already have to decide to pick up his year 3 option before he's even played a minute here or in Austin. So he's essentially getting a 3 year guaranteed contract with his injury history. Not good. I'd be willing to take him in the second, if he's still there, and offer him a 3 year deal, at minimum, with only the first year guaranteed. If he fucks up and blows his rehab and knee again, you cut him loose after year one. This also allows you to make the decision on the next season AFTER the previous one, not before.

Degoat
05-22-2019, 11:06 AM
OK, you're crazy. A first round contract is two years guaranteed, with options for two more years at the team's discretion. He's already going to miss year one, and get paid for it, which might be OK, if he didn't have that family history. So, after year 1, but before year 2, you already have to decide to pick up his year 3 option before he's even played a minute here or in Austin. So he's essentially getting a 3 year guaranteed contract with his injury history. Not good. I'd be willing to take him in the second, if he's still there, and offer him a 3 year deal, at minimum, with only the first year guaranteed. If he fucks up and blows his rehab and knee again, you cut him loose after year one. This also allows you to make the decision on the next season AFTER the previous one, not before.

hey I get it lol, I personally hope we don’t draft him but it would be nice to draft a big with lots of different skill sets to groom to replace LA to an extent. 2-3 years from now if he turns into a lottery talent big which he was before the injury great if not well just another bust.. but with that being said I hope the spurs don’t draft him lol

EricB
05-22-2019, 11:46 PM
He was 1A on their board at this time last year before he went back to college.
he was also very high again even though with the first torn axle. This time? I think they’re out but if he’s there at 49 I’d bet on them taking him.

Chinook
05-23-2019, 12:44 AM

I don't see the option year being a problem. This isn't like in 2K where guys are assigned a vague "injured" status until the end of the season when that "INJ" goes away. Porter should be cleared for basketball activities some time between January and April. I'd assume the team wouldn't let him get d-league work even if he's good, but it's a possibility. They'd almost certainly let him run in next year's summer league. After that, they'd get other workouts with him. By the time they actually have to make a decision, Porter would have played multiple pre-season games on top of all that work. It's not clear if he'd be any real good yet, but it should be clear whether the knee is still hurting.

Of course, for a 29th pick, that third-year option really doesn't matter. The Spurs have been carrying more dead money than that every season since Tim retired. If they don't really believe in Porter or think he's not much better than other guys available, then they shouldn't take him. But if they feel like he's a lottery talent, they shouldn't let a couple million bucks scare them off. The same goes for Okeke if they like him and he's around at 29. I sure as hell would rather take that risk with 29 than with 49.

exstatic
05-23-2019, 08:55 AM
I don't see the option year being a problem. This isn't like in 2K where guys are assigned a vague "injured" status until the end of the season when that "INJ" goes away. Porter should be cleared for basketball activities some time between January and April. I'd assume the team wouldn't let him get d-league work even if he's good, but it's a possibility. They'd almost certainly let him run in next year's summer league. After that, they'd get other workouts with him. By the time they actually have to make a decision, Porter would have played multiple pre-season games on top of all that work. It's not clear if he'd be any real good yet, but it should be clear whether the knee is still hurting.

Of course, for a 29th pick, that third-year option really doesn't matter. The Spurs have been carrying more dead money than that every season since Tim retired. If they don't really believe in Porter or think he's not much better than other guys available, then they shouldn't take him. But if they feel like he's a lottery talent, they shouldn't let a couple million bucks scare them off. The same goes for Okeke if they like him and he's around at 29. I sure as hell would rather take that risk with 29 than with 49.

Why are you thinking January as the first possible return? The book on this injury, not even factoring in that it's the second one on the same knee, is a year. That puts it sometime in late March. Hell, the g-league season is basically over by then.

ZeusWillJudge
05-23-2019, 09:19 AM
He comes from a basketball family - his dad was/is a coach. No doubt in my mind that kids who grow up learning the game are more likely to have a head for the game. Size and instincts can make up for some explosiveness, and he seems to have both.

I worry about the injury, and the family history of injury. But 49 is always a flyer. He seems like a good place to take one.

Chinook
05-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Why are you thinking January as the first possible return? The book on this injury, not even factoring in that it's the second one on the same knee, is a year. That puts it sometime in late March. Hell, the g-league season is basically over by then.

I said nothing about him returning in January. I said he could be cleared for basketball activities by then. I think with the double injury that they're not going to let him even play in Austin that first year (Hence me saying, "I'd assume the team wouldn't let him get d-league work even if he's good..."). The bigger point I was going for was that the Spurs would have a lot of time to see him in practices and exhibition games before picking up that third year. If they think he's going to be James Anderson 2.0, then they won't even pick him. But if they do pick him, they'll have plenty of time to make sure he's past the tear before committing more money.

exstatic
05-23-2019, 12:00 PM
I said nothing about him returning in January. I said he could be cleared for basketball activities by then. I think with the double injury that they're not going to let him even play in Austin that first year (Hence me saying, "I'd assume the team wouldn't let him get d-league work even if he's good..."). The bigger point I was going for was that the Spurs would have a lot of time to see him in practices and exhibition games before picking up that third year. If they think he's going to be James Anderson 2.0, then they won't even pick him. But if they do pick him, they'll have plenty of time to make sure he's past the tear before committing more money.

Kyle Anderson was a summer league god. It's not exactly an accurate indicator of NBA viability.

K...
05-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Kyle Anderson was a summer league god. It's not exactly an accurate indicator of NBA viability.

Ka is a NBA player on his second contract? Dumb comparison. Playing is an indicator of recovery from injury, which is what the issue is

timvp
05-27-2019, 08:32 PM

More injury news for the Porter family. I've never heard of scouts using family injury history against a player but it's really difficult to ignore in Jontay's case. All of his siblings are falling apart and he has torn his ACL twice.

I'd still love him at 49, tbh, but at 29 that's a lot to overlook, IMO.

TheGreatYacht
05-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Can't believe there's people willing to take him in the first round. He's garbage and he's legally handicap.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 09:12 PM
Even before all those injury stuff he'd not been an high upside guy, just a future role player, too much talk about him ..

exstatic
05-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Even before all those injury stuff he'd not been an high upside guy, just a future role player, too much talk about him ..

If he were perfectly healthy, he'd be a top 10 pick. He never should have gone back to school. He was not a lottery pick last year, but he was certainly first round material. Now, he may not be.

pad300
05-28-2019, 09:17 AM
If he were perfectly healthy, he'd be a top 10 pick. He never should have gone back to school. He was not a lottery pick last year, but he was certainly first round material. Now, he may not be.

True, but whomever drafted him would be regretting it. Blowing the same ACL twice is a significant issue to my mind.

Chinook
05-28-2019, 09:36 AM
True, but whomever drafted him would be regretting it. Blowing the same ACL twice is a significant issue to my mind.

Not clear if he would have blown his ACL again had he been drafted. Could be that he didn't let it heal all the way because he was trying to be ready for the combine. Had he been drafted already, he may have been on a slower time table for the summer league if not the pre-season. Hell, maybe the surgery would have been performed differently or the initial rehab done in a way that's would have prevented the ligament from being weakened in the first place.

pad300
05-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Not clear if he would have blown his ACL again had he been drafted. Could be that he didn't let it heal all the way because he was trying to be ready for the combine. Had he been drafted already, he may have been on a slower time table for the summer league if not the pre-season. Hell, maybe the surgery would have been performed differently or the initial rehab done in a way that's would have prevented the ligament from being weakened in the first place.

Completely hypothetical. Sure. Fact of the matter is, he's likely in the second, if drafted at all, because he's blown the same ACL twice, which is a big medical red flag...

Chinook
05-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Completely hypothetical. Sure. Fact of the matter is, he's likely in the second, if drafted at all, because he's blown the same ACL twice, which is a big medical red flag...

That's the reality. Both my post and yours before it were hypothetical.

timvp
06-07-2019, 04:27 PM
TheAthletic has Porter to the Spurs at 49. I'd really like that, tbh. I realize he may never play basketball again but if he ever gets healthy, Porter has the skills to be an NBA player. You usually can't confidently say that about players taken at 49 or later.

Speaking of Porter, a scout told me that they don't think it's necessarily bad genes that have caused all the Porter siblings to be injury prone, instead he blamed it on the Porter siblings being on a "hippie raw vegan diet" since childhood and that might have stunted the development of their joints :lol

GusT15
06-07-2019, 04:37 PM
TheAthletic has Porter to the Spurs at 49. I'd really like that, tbh. I realize he may never play basketball again but if he ever gets healthy, Porter has the skills to be an NBA player. You usually can't confidently say that about players taken at 49 or later.

Speaking of Porter, a scout told me that they don't think it's necessarily bad genes that have caused all the Porter siblings to be injury prone, instead he blamed it on the Porter siblings being on a "hippie raw vegan diet" since childhood and that might have stunted the development of their joints :lol

He has a sister with 5 acl tears.

If we force feed them meat can it be reversed or are their joints ruined forever?
(A family full of athletic talent not eating meat smh)

pad300
06-07-2019, 06:17 PM

And you can fix this stunted development how??

At 49, Porter might be a good gamble in most drafts, but I'm not so sure in this one. Evaluations are all over the place, so god knows who falls...

As a general question, if both Porter and Okeke fall that far, which do you pick? I'd go with Okeke.

timvp
06-07-2019, 06:24 PM
And you can fix this stunted development how??
Probably too late, tbh.

At 49, Porter might be a good gamble in most drafts, but I'm not so sure in this one. Evaluations are all over the place, so god knows who falls...
Somewhat agree but it looks like the real intriguing guys should be off the board by about 45 or so. We'll see.

As a general question, if both Porter and Okeke fall that far, which do you pick? I'd go with Okeke.
Okeke easily because he's a lot more likely to return to health. I don't think Okeke falls to 49 but if he does, that would be an easy pick, IMO.

look_at_g_shred
06-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Hippie diet? Yikes! Can we get this man some raw meat ASAP?

EricB
06-08-2019, 12:12 AM

Ruined Bill Walton’s career

timvp
06-17-2019, 06:07 PM
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/17/18681485/jontay-porter-nba-draft-mizzou-michael-porter

Pretty decent article. If he's there at 49, that's a gamble worth taking, IMO.

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Jontay the person seems like a really good dude. When I said my list of players that I want/do not want I meant with the 2 firsts. If it’s a second rounder, although he’s a big risk, the talent is there.

lmbebo
06-17-2019, 07:10 PM
if he's there at 49, I don't think you think about it. You do it. Liked him last year and he's worth the risk in the 2nd round.

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 08:07 PM
He been my 2nd round target. He could pan out being a good to great NBA player and you can't really say that about 2nd round picks too often

Mugen
06-17-2019, 11:49 PM
This kid could die midway through the 2nd round and people here would still say "can't ignore his upside"