PDA

View Full Version : How do the Spurs go out and get Tobias Harris?

phxspurfan
05-14-2019, 10:41 PM
How do the Spurs go out and get him. Spurs get him, GG NBA

slick'81
05-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Gonna have to shed a shit load of cap space

TDMVPDPOY
05-14-2019, 10:54 PM
trade ddr for him

seriously ddr isnt that much better then him

at leasts harris can shoot the 3pt, spread the floor, his weakness can be covered by the system

rasuo214
05-14-2019, 10:59 PM
Could have traded Kawhi to Philly and netted Jimmy and Tobias from the assets from Philly. So I guess the answer to your question is a time machine.

slick'81
05-14-2019, 11:00 PM
Could have traded Kawhi to Philly and netted Jimmy and Tobias from the assets from Philly. So I guess the answer to your question is a time machine.
Or harris and a couple pics ffiw

Rusty
05-14-2019, 11:02 PM
He shrinks in pressure situations just like DDR. Why would you want him?

cutewizard
05-15-2019, 06:46 AM
Heard that Sandor Clegane was available

SpursRussia
05-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Dump Mills with 29th, dump Belli and Davis with future 2 rounders, renounce Gay and convince Harris to come here, sound easy, but impossible IRL

exstatic
05-15-2019, 07:01 AM
He’s a career 15-16 point scorer who will want MAX dollars, or he walks. Teams think so much of him, that he’s already been traded four times, each in the middle of the season. FOUR teams have each reached the exact same conclusion:”Yeah, we can do without this guy, IMMEDIATELY “. He’s a mirage, and the exact kind of player who gets GMs fired by clogging their caps with inefficient money.

Maddog
05-15-2019, 07:12 AM
He’s a career 15-16 point scorer who will want MAX dollars, or he walks. Teams think so much of him, that he’s already been traded four times, each in the middle of the season. FOUR teams have each reached the exact same conclusion:”Yeah, we can do without this guy, IMMEDIATELY “. He’s a mirage, and the exact kind of player who gets GMs fired by clogging their caps with inefficient money.

Clippers 30-25
After Trading Harris
18-9
He's one of those Looks good from far, but far from good.

Twisted_Dawg
05-15-2019, 07:47 AM
There's a reason Jerry West traded him.

99 Problems
05-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Lets have a crack at AD. AD, Murray, White. Depends if AD is hell bent on forming a super team etc if so no chance I suppose.

TDMVPDPOY
05-15-2019, 08:47 AM
if the spurs go trade or chase harris in fa, then this patfo is pathetic loser

they had the chance to trade for him to the clippers who also had the 15+16 pick in last years draft... why didnt they do the trade back then, but why now go chase harris?

i take harris over ddr anyday, at least harris doesnt earn ddr money and be easier to move if it doesnt work out, at leasts u still had 15+16 picks to play with

Othyus Lalanne
05-15-2019, 09:05 AM
He shrinks in pressure situations just like DDR. Why would you want him?

Because he will bring Boban with him.

Leetonidas
05-15-2019, 09:09 AM
He was trash in the playoffs and Clippers actually played better when they traded him. No thanks

vavvi
Untradable max contract in the making

Leetonidas

Butler has a cancerous attitude and Harris woulda been a one year rental most likely

tbdog
05-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Been saying this all season when Clippers offered Harris that package. Harris is just not that good.

szkorhetz
05-15-2019, 09:31 AM
trade ddr for him

seriously ddr isnt that much better then him

at leasts harris can shoot the 3pt, spread the floor, his weakness can be covered by the system
I would rank Harris higher than DDR.

SpursDynasty85
05-15-2019, 09:47 AM
If he can be had for 20-25 M then yes. Max contract would be a bad idea.

exstatic
05-15-2019, 11:24 AM
If he can be had for 20-25 M then yes. Max contract would be a bad idea.

Uh, no. Anything over maybe $12M is an overpay. Let some other GM make that mistake. He's maybe a 4th option.

look_at_g_shred
05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Harris is a better fit than DDR however he is not worth the money he will be demanding.

MultiTroll
05-15-2019, 11:29 AM
overated overpriced.
Pass.

SpursDynasty85
05-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Uh, no. Anything over maybe $12M is an overpay. Let some other GM make that mistake. He's maybe a 4th option.

Hmm. 12M is a joke though. Andre Roberson makes 12M / yr. That's the market for good veterans. Most contending teams pay 20M+ to 3 or 4 option guys. Not to mention he seems the perfect fit for the Spurs. I've never read anything bad about him. People talk about how he was traded 4x but the teams that traded him got good value back which means his value is high in a lot gms eyes.

R. DeMurre
05-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Exactly. West got him as a bargain, and traded him when he knew he'd demand much more money on a new contract.

spurraider21
05-15-2019, 01:24 PM
iirc clippers offer was harris and 2 firsts for kawhi... such a mistake in hindsight

K...
05-15-2019, 01:33 PM
iirc clippers offer was harris and 2 firsts for kawhi... such a mistake in hindsight

Nah, if you take the report that Lonnie was high on the board, then it's really a pick swap, and no one in that draft really looks like a sure hit 10-19. Poeltl is effectively a lottery pick. You could say you prefer to strip it down and trade LMA but you can't say the Spurs didn't get who they wanted. They wanted DeRozan more than a crapshoot mid lottery pick

spurraider21
05-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Nah, if you take the report that Lonnie was high on the board, then it's really a pick swap, and no one in that draft really looks like a sure hit 10-19. Poeltl is effectively a lottery pick. You could say you prefer to strip it down and trade LMA but you can't say the Spurs didn't get who they wanted. They wanted DeRozan more than a crapshoot mid lottery pick
factor in that harris is a better fit than derozan...

SpursDynasty85
05-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Rumor was 1 of the picks. Secondly, Harris couldve left after this year leavingus with one late lottery rookie after this year. Poeltl himself os worth a late lottery pick. DeRozan had possibly 2 more years left on his contract as well plus the torontos late first. If it was two picks then yea it would be close call but still clear decision. Spurs will be better tha last year and continue to build from there once we have young talent and LMA DD gone cap space opens up.

exstatic
05-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Hmm. 12M is a joke though. Andre Roberson makes 12M / yr. That's the market for good veterans. Most contending teams pay 20M+ to 3 or 4 option guys. Not to mention he seems the perfect fit for the Spurs. I've never read anything bad about him. People talk about how he was traded 4x but the teams that traded him got good value back which means his value is high in a lot gms eyes.

Andre Roberson is Patty level overpaid, and a poor example of payroll management. Other than GS, please come up with a list of #3 and #4 options that make more than $20M. Then, please shorten that list by subtracting the players who are roundly despised by their fanbases for being horrible values due to overpayment.

The idea is to get value for the buck. The way to do that is to either sign players to reasonable contracts, or trade for them, like Jerry West did, or draft them. If you do that, you have a better roster than some other schmuck GM who overpays for an Ibaka, or a Gordon Hayward.

spurraider21
05-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Rumor was 1 of the picks. Secondly, Harris couldve left after this year leavingus with one late lottery rookie after this year. Poeltl himself os worth a late lottery pick. DeRozan had possibly 2 more years left on his contract as well plus the torontos late first. If it was two picks then yea it would be close call but still clear decision. Spurs will be better tha last year and continue to build from there once we have young talent and LMA DD gone cap space opens up.
i'd rather have a 1 year rental of harris followed by flexibility (re-sign or just clear cap space) than be stuck with derozan for 3 years

bklynspursfan
05-15-2019, 02:21 PM
if the spurs go trade or chase harris in fa, then this patfo is pathetic loser

they had the chance to trade for him to the clippers who also had the 15+16 pick in last years draft... why didnt they do the trade back then, but why now go chase harris?

i take harris over ddr anyday, at least harris doesnt earn ddr money and be easier to move if it doesnt work out, at leasts u still had 15+16 picks to play with

I imagine it was going to take a lot more than Harris + picks to trade him to a Western Conference team

tmtcsc
05-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Heard that Sandor Clegane was available

NOPE. That rumor crashed and burned already.

tmtcsc
05-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Kawhi is an incredible player, no doubt. But the way the Spurs used him post-Duncan & the way he's being used by Toronto is NOT what I believe wins Championships. When you rely so much on 1 player, it doesn't work. That's why Kawhi owes so much to Pop, Tim, Manu and the rest of that team for his Ring and MVP. He was a huge difference maker that won Finals MVP without putting up gawdy numbers. When the Spurs went away from that, they never experienced the same success.

We'll see what he can do the rest of the way - but if his teammates don't step up, Milwaukee will make quick work of them. Bud has a plan, he's a terrific coach.

Chris Fall
05-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Andre Roberson is Patty level overpaid, and a poor example of payroll management. Other than GS, please come up with a list of #3 and #4 options that make more than $20M. Then, please shorten that list by subtracting the players who are roundly despised by their fanbases for being horrible values due to overpayment.

The idea is to get value for the buck. The way to do that is to either sign players to reasonable contracts, or trade for them, like Jerry West did, or draft them. If you do that, you have a better roster than some other schmuck GM who overpays for an Ibaka, or a Gordon Hayward.

Gobert, Steven Adams, Marc Gasol, Jimmy Butler... and there will be more and more 3rd and 4th options making that type of money on good teams where fans are not upset because of the cap increases that have happened over the past 4 years and continue to happen.

You have to realize that $20 million a year now isn’t the same thing as $20 million just three years ago. Next year’s cap is roughly $109 million. The cap for 2015-16 was at only $70 million. In just four years, that’s nearly a 60% increase. A max contract for vets ends up being around $35 million per. Supermax deals surpass $40+ million per now.

Point is $20 million per now is like $12 million per a few years ago.

God bless if you can get a 3rd option caliber player for $12 million in this salary cap age. It will be harder and harder to do so going forward.

Maddog
05-15-2019, 03:23 PM

LAC got basicly Shamet and a first.
It's Miami's first- so not bad. Previous trades are debatable. TH for Reddick, TH for Ilyasova and Jennings. Detroit combined him and avery Bradley for Blake. His main value in this was a soon to be expiring.

I think he is good player, but will get way over paid. A better fit than DDR- maybe.

I'm on the fence as far as what the Spurs should have done-I'm not overly excited by DDR- wasn't to begin with and watching him play less so.
The rumor was Tobias and either 1 or both first rounders. Unlikely the Spurs would resign Harris.
Basically 1 or 2 first rounders and cap space (which rarely ever benefits teams) versus DDR, Peoltl and Toronto's first. The added bonus of the later was sending Nephew to the cold of Canada.
I guess if both picks where included I would have gone with the clips. The Spurs where screwed once nephew demanded California.

DJR210
05-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Or harris and a couple pics ffiw

What kind of pics? Nudes?

slick'81
05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
What kind of pics? Nudes?

No more danny green ish

cd021
05-15-2019, 04:13 PM
West essentially getting 3 first's for a player he wasn't going to re-sign :lol 76ers hurt themselves going forward with that deal.

SpursDynasty85
05-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Hmm. Andre Roberson is good and that's fair value to what he gave the Thunder. The Thunder were s ol lid contenders until KD left. KD Russ choked vs Warriors. So yes. Roberson in the starting lineup worked for them. That's the point. Bball is a team and all championship teams look different. Harris is a valuable player which many contenders would love at around 20M. Brett Brown said it was like a chrostmas present to get Harris.

SpursDynasty85
05-16-2019, 08:29 AM
LAC got basicly Shamet and a first.
It's Miami's first- so not bad. Previous trades are debatable. TH for Reddick, TH for Ilyasova and Jennings. Detroit combined him and avery Bradley for Blake. His main value in this was a soon to be expiring.

I think he is good player, but will get way over paid. A better fit than DDR- maybe.

I'm on the fence as far as what the Spurs should have done-I'm not overly excited by DDR- wasn't to begin with and watching him play less so.
The rumor was Tobias and either 1 or both first rounders. Unlikely the Spurs would resign Harris.
Basically 1 or 2 first rounders and cap space (which rarely ever benefits teams) versus DDR, Peoltl and Toronto's first. The added bonus of the later was sending Nephew to the cold of Canada.
I guess if both picks where included I would have gone with the clips. The Spurs where screwed once nephew demanded California.

Shamet and a first for a half a season of Harris is a damn good deal. He comes in free agency as the clear cut best pf in the offseason. Clippers did pretty well I thought.

exstatic
05-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Shamet and a first for a half a season of Harris is a damn good deal. He comes in free agency as the clear cut best pf in the offseason. Clippers did pretty well I thought.

Yup. They got Shamet, who shot 45% from 3 for them, on like 5 attempts per game, and an unprotected 2021 first from Miami, via Philly.

MoSpur02
05-16-2019, 11:29 AM
factor in that harris is a better fit than derozan...

This. Harris all around might not be better than Derozan, but in my opinion he probably is a better fit than Derozan.

exstatic
05-16-2019, 11:34 AM
This. Harris all around might not be better than Derozan, but in my opinion he probably is a better fit than Derozan.

So what? His next paycheck will likely be close to DeRozan's, so he'd damn well be as good, or better. He isn't, and will be a bad value going forward.

spursistan
05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Fuckin' hard pass..

Another usage-dependent, volume-scorer with zero intangibles who doesn't make his teammates better.. Philly would be stupid to max him out..

TheGreatYacht
05-16-2019, 12:29 PM
May Allah forgive that poor team that pays this dude the MAX. The GM should be fired immediately.

The smart thing would be to wait until the top free agents find a team and the teams that had cap are full. If Harris is still available, you negotiate with him and hope he settles knowing his leverage is gone.

spursistan
05-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Harris is nice guy but he is definitely an All-NBA "empty stats" team. There is a reason the Clippers had the second or 3rd best record in the league after he got traded..His overall impact is minimal, if not limiting.

R. DeMurre
05-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Harris is one of those guys that comes to mind when I think about that old George Karl observation/joke that in the eyes of scouts & coaches there are 15 max players in the NBA, but in the eyes of agents there are 40.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2019, 06:33 AM
Marcus Morris and Bojan Bogdanovic are better defenders, cheaper and can give you the same on offense

Seventyniner
05-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Only if it means getting Boban back. He and Harris are glued together or something.

rascal
05-18-2019, 04:04 AM

I saw it was two picks.