https://i.imgur.com/HlaeeXA.jpg

Dylan Windler

School: Belmont
Position: SF
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 200
Wingspan: 6-foot-11
Draft Range: 28 to 45

Why: Was outstanding as a senior at Belmont: 21.3 points and 10.8 rebounds on 54% from the floor, 42.9% on threes and 84.7% at the line. Has deeeeep range with an effortless left-handed stroke. Good passer when stationary. Doesn't take many bad shots. A solid B+ athlete: runs well, jumps well, shifty. Amazing rebounding numbers for a perimeter player due to lightning quick reflexes and good anticipation. Has good length and uses it well on the defensive end. Didn't start concentrating on basketball until a senior at high school so could have room for growth.

Why Not: Sometimes got bottled up against better competition, hence the big question: How much of his success was due to being a senior at a lower competition level? Not a playmaker or shot creator. While a good athlete, has two flaws: not quick and not strong -- and that hurts on the next level. It's not entirely clear what position he'd play in the NBA: good rebounder but doesn't have strength for PF, good shooter but might not have quickness to play out on the perimeter.

Spurs Fit: He'd start the year in Austin but could be given a shot in the rotation during the season if all goes well in the G-League. To fit with the rest of the youngsters, Spurs would probably try to make him a SF.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Brent Barry, more rebounding and less passing

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Derrick Dial

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dylan-windler-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VspDO1zjXk)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/dylan-windler)
NBA.com Profile (https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/01/dylan-windler-draft-feature)

slick'81
05-15-2019, 01:18 AM
Long live derrick dial

apalisoc_9
05-15-2019, 01:26 AM
Brent was an amazing role player and a tough guy to guard mainly because he could put the ball down. He was also an A class athlete.

Ive seen a few highlights of this dude and He's already less athletic than 30 year old Brent

DPG21920
05-15-2019, 01:32 AM
“White Americans in the first round :lol”

- HH

cd021
05-15-2019, 02:08 AM
Future fan favorite tbh.

TrainOfThought5
05-15-2019, 03:11 AM
Non athletic white 3pt shooting undersized PF? I hate him already.

NASpurs
05-15-2019, 05:50 AM
Non athletic white 3pt shooting undersized PF? I hate him already.

I hated him when I read the name “Dylan”. That’s all I needed to know what we’re dealing with here.

exstatic
05-15-2019, 06:24 AM
Dion of the Belmonts. :vomit

KobesAchilles
05-15-2019, 06:30 AM
No more gingers!

Philthemage
05-15-2019, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the reviews.

Cant wait till we grab one of these guys and we can look back to reflect on these reports. Always fun

Trueblood
05-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Not high on this guy at all but I'm waiting for the obligatory: "sure we can get him at 29" from those that believe a top 5 talent is guarenteed to fall to 19. Honestly this guy is closer to what we'll end up with than the lottery talent unless we trade up.

BWS-1994
05-15-2019, 07:43 AM
He can improve his strength. But not sure about his quickness?

GBO542
05-15-2019, 07:59 AM
His athleticism is an issue for someone that almost has to be a wing. I feel like B+ was a stretch for him. Watching him, I always felt that he looked unathletic even compared to college opposition.

RC_Drunkford
05-15-2019, 08:00 AM
I hated him when I read the name “Dylan”. That’s all I needed to know what we’re dealing with here.

cause he spits hot fire?

Seventyniner
05-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Not high on this guy at all but I'm waiting for the obligatory: "sure we can get him at 29" from those that believe a top 5 talent is guarenteed to fall to 19. Honestly this guy is closer to what we'll end up with than the lottery talent unless we trade up.

Supposedly PATFO had Lonnie in their top 10 and he fell to 18. So while top 5 is a stretch, top 10 on PATFO's board isn't.

pad300
05-15-2019, 08:43 AM
As I've mentioned before when his name comes up, I think his rebounding is overrated. Of the top 6 MPG players on that squad, he plays with a 6'11" center who's not a strong rebounder, and 4 guys who are 6'4" and under... Effectively he's their PF, not SF. His rebounding is good for a NCAA PF, but not NBA level great.

Play Boban
05-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Good pick at 29 tbqh.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-15-2019, 12:12 PM
I love the comments in here. Lmao.

spurs1990
05-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Never heard of him but he looks cerebral. Should be able to adapt to the system fairly quickly.
Brent was so good here from 2004-2007. Would be great to get another version at 29.

exstatic
05-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Never heard of him but he looks cerebral. Should be able to adapt to the system fairly quickly.
Brent was so good here from 2004-2007. Would be great to get another version at 29.

Brent was actually sneaky athletic. He won the freaking slam dunk contest in warmups.

timvp
05-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Brent was an amazing role player and a tough guy to guard mainly because he could put the ball down. He was also an A class athlete.

Barry's athletic peak was far in his rear view mirror by the time he was in S.A. He rarely drove the ball to the basket anymore and I wouldn't classify him as a tough guy to guard, tbh. Smart player, great shooter, very good instincts, could do a bit of everything but also passive and deferential.

But yeah, Barry was probably still more athletic than Windler. Windler didn't need to use his athleticism much at Belmont but when he did, I was pleasantly surprised. His combine numbers will be telling. If they're good enough, he could lock in a first round spot, IMO. If they're bad, he could still be on the board at 49.

apalisoc_9
05-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Barry's athletic peak was far in his rear view mirror by the time he was in S.A. He rarely drove the ball to the basket anymore and I wouldn't classify him as a tough guy to guard, tbh. Smart player, great shooter, very good instincts, could do a bit of everything but also passive and deferential.

But yeah, Barry was probably still more athletic than Windler. Windler didn't need to use his athleticism much at Belmont but when he did, I was pleasantly surprised. His combine numbers will be telling. If they're good enough, he could lock in a first round spot, IMO. If they're bad, he could still be on the board at 49.

My point is Brent Barry coming out of college was a lot more athletic. If hes only as athletic as a 30 year old barry..thats a really bad sign

BillMc
05-15-2019, 03:58 PM

Yes, but the times they are a'changin'

kobyz
05-15-2019, 04:29 PM
He reminds me Mike Miller from highlights...

Trueblood
05-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Supposedly PATFO had Lonnie in their top 10 and he fell to 18. So while top 5 is a stretch, top 10 on PATFO's board isn't.

I hear you and actually agree. We should talk about those guys that might fall like Walker did (I actually just read somewhere this week that they almost traded up to 11 to get him when he fell out of the top 10 but waited and got him anyway).

My point is that that type of situation is not the norm so we can't write off guys who are far more realistic options and only focus on pipe dreams. If a guy falls to us, great, but we do need to discuss these practical picks also and not ignore them because they aren't lottery talents.

exstatic
05-15-2019, 05:17 PM
I hear you and actually agree. We should talk about those guys that might fall like Walker did (I actually just read somewhere this week that they almost traded up to 11 to get him when he fell out of the top 10 but waited and got him anyway).

My point is that that type of situation is not the norm so we can't write off guys who are far more realistic options and only focus on pipe dreams. If a guy falls to us, great, but we do need to discuss these practical picks also and not ignore them because they aren't lottery talents.

The thing is, Dejounte was considered a late teens pick, and fell to 29. We also got Derrick at 29. The things that the Spurs look for may just not be the same as what other teams do, so players that they want will drop.

Play Boban
05-15-2019, 05:33 PM
He reminds me Mike Miller from highlights...

Because they're white gringos?

Trueblood
05-15-2019, 06:07 PM
The thing is, Dejounte was considered a late teens pick, and fell to 29. We also got Derrick at 29. The things that the Spurs look for may just not be the same as what other teams do, so players that they want will drop.

I hope you're right. But for every DJ or DW there's a KA or LJC. Guys that were far more realistic options that the FO had listed higher than others who may have slipped.

My point isn't that I don't want those guys that may slip. Just that there's a contingent on here that believe it's those guys or bust and they may be setting themselves up for a letdown.

exstatic
05-16-2019, 10:16 AM
I hope you're right. But for every DJ or DW there's a KA or LJC. Guys that were far more realistic options that the FO had listed higher than others who may have slipped.

My point isn't that I don't want those guys that may slip. Just that there's a contingent on here that believe it's those guys or bust and they may be setting themselves up for a letdown.

That's the only way to get better talent. If you don't take guys who slip, you wind up with someone at 29 who belongs at 29. That won't improve your team, or even allow you to tread water. Yes, they've missed, but I don't consider KA a miss, just a poor fit with his lousy shooting. He was a guy at 29 that really belonged there. The Spurs do FAR better there than most teams do higher up. In the late 20s, you're going to fail sometimes, and it's unrealistic to think otherwise. I'd rather have them fail looking for upside than get some kid good enough to practice with the team, and play garbage minutes for his whole rookie deal, then move on.

Trueblood
05-16-2019, 04:11 PM
That's the only way to get better talent. If you don't take guys who slip, you wind up with someone at 29 who belongs at 29. That won't improve your team, or even allow you to tread water. Yes, they've missed, but I don't consider KA a miss, just a poor fit with his lousy shooting. He was a guy at 29 that really belonged there. The Spurs do FAR better there than most teams do higher up. In the late 20s, you're going to fail sometimes, and it's unrealistic to think otherwise. I'd rather have them fail looking for upside than get some kid good enough to practice with the team, and play garbage minutes for his whole rookie deal, then move on.

You're exactly right and if you think I'm disagreeing with you please let me clarify. I want one of those lottery talents to slip and I'd be thrilled if it happened. Making it seem that I don't want one is a straw man argument that you're building up just to keep knocking down.

My point is that what happened with IV isn't normal. Most lottery talents go before pick 19. In a draft class that is as weak as this one there are probably less than a dozen true lottery talent level players. Most will be gone before the end of the lottery. There may be 3-4 teams that reach but by pick 19 they will probably all be gone. So while we can talk and dream about those lottery talents (1-10) we need to look at the teens also and be mentally prepared for our player to come from there or we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

It'll be fun to see those guys who only read up on those lottery players triggered on draft night when we pick some guy they never knew existed.

timvp
05-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Windler measured a little bit smaller than expected: 6-foot-7.5 with shoes, 6-foot-10 wingspan, 196 pounds. But his athleticism is testing out well: 29 inch standing vert, 37.5 max vert and a top ten Lane Agility Time so far.

Could be pushing himself up into the first round.

keithington1
06-06-2019, 11:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9etsY1DFJc

buujness
06-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Would rather have Windler at 29 than Cam Johnson at 19. Windler was often the guy other teams gameplanned against, and he still put up those ridiculous shooting numbers.

BatManu20
06-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Looks like a Joe Ingles clone tbh. Right down to the sweet lefty stroke.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Might be gone at 29 but could be a solid pick. Fluid athlete. Plus rebounder, which is a bonus.