https://i.imgur.com/fltLSHx.jpg

Kevin Porter Jr.

School: USC
Position: SG
Height: 6-foot-5.5
Weight: 213
Wingspan: 6-foot-10
Draft Range: 8 to 20

Why: Shake and bake extraordinaire. Has a plethora of crossover moves, hesitation dribbles, shifty spins and a slick step-back jumper. Strong, explosive body. Fearless and has a high potential as a finisher at the rim. Knows how to create open shots in isolations. Shot 41.2% on threes on 8.3 attempts per 100 possessions. Decent to good court vision. Length and athleticism gives him a high ceiling defensively -- already really good at rebounding and blocking shots at that end. Went to the same high school where the Spurs scouted Dejounte Murray extensively. Still young with a lot of room for growth.

Why Not: Potential character red flag: got suspended at USC indefinitely for an off-court reason that wasn't disclosed. Also dealt with a mysterious injury during his freshman season; only played 22.1 minutes per game. Jumper is flat with a low release point. Barely got to the line and when he did shot only 52.2%. Often dribbles too much and his array of moves are usually more style than substance. Not always a willing passer; poor shot selection at times; turns it over a lot. Needs to study Defensive Fundamentals 101. As it is, fouls way too much.

Spurs Fit: He'd be looking at a year in Austin, at least. There's not an obvious fit next to White, Murray and Walker unless one of those three gets moved.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Stephen Jackson's brain in Manu Ginobili's body

Spurs Comparison - Floor: More Erratic Vernon Maxwell

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-porterjr-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvbNwfYhxVc)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/kevin-porter-jr)
NBADraft.net Profile (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kevin-porter)

Dennis the Menace
05-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Kid lost his father at the age of 4. Spurs would be the best organization for personal development and maturity. Also not just went to the same school as Dejounte but they actually played together. These reasons give me hope that the Spurs could make it work and would be a blessing for him.

If he gets that straightened out, yeah - he’s got potential of Ginobili/Harden territory.

We should take the best available and this kid might be it if he falls in draft.

duncan2150
05-15-2019, 05:59 PM
USC's Kevin Porter official measurements at the NBA Combine: 6'5 1/2 with shoes, 213 pounds, 6'10 wingspan, 8'7 standing reach, 5.1% body fat.

good measurements for porter.

spurraider21
05-15-2019, 06:05 PM
i'd take him. he has legit talent and great length. we cant act like lonnie/murray are sure-fire future starters. should always be drafting talent over need unless you are a serious title contender needing a very specific piece. we aren't there.

Big Empty
05-15-2019, 06:19 PM
������ SJAXs brain in Ginobili’s body im sold!

picnroll
05-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Most projections I’ve seen have him going top 15 but if available I’d be happy to see Spurs take him at 19. That’d mean Spurs’s did their homework and were comfortable with character issues and while he overlaps with other young Spurs it would give them a stable of Porter, Murray, White and Walker where one or more could develop into an all-star caliber backcourt player and give them trade fodder like George Hill.

Trueblood
05-15-2019, 06:23 PM
I've seen this guy linked to us in multiple mocks. All quoting the same lines: "serious character concerns" "will be a major red flag and will fall in the draft" "Spurs have the perfect culture for him" "He has a built in mentor in DJ"

I think he has the most potential of our realistic options (unless someone rolls the dice on him and it causes another player to fall to us) but it makes you wonder who we would trade away? Or would we hold all four (DJ, DW, IV and Porter)? And stunt someone's growth if we did?

r0drig0lac
05-15-2019, 06:29 PM

not bad

Big Empty
05-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Have the Spurs even worked him out?

duncan2150
05-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Have the Spurs even worked him out?

For the moment, the only guys we know who worked out for the spurs are secound round, undrafted projected guys.

cutewizard
05-15-2019, 06:54 PM
:bobo

Dennis the Menace
05-15-2019, 06:57 PM
I've seen this guy linked to us in multiple mocks. All quoting the same lines: "serious character concerns" "will be a major red flag and will fall in the draft" "Spurs have the perfect culture for him" "He has a built in mentor in DJ"

I think he has the most potential of our realistic options (unless someone rolls the dice on him and it causes another player to fall to us) but it makes you wonder who we would trade away? Or would we hold all four (DJ, DW, IV and Porter)? And stunt someone's growth if we did?

Plain Jane comp

Murray (Parker)
White (Green)
Porter Jr (Ginobili)
Walker (Kawhi)
Aldridge (Duncan)

Gay, Poetl, Forbes. Trade Derozan for assets/solid pieces and you’re set.

That kind of structure dismantled the Heat.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Have the spurs ever worked out a player they've drafted before?

picnroll
05-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Have the spurs ever worked out a player they've drafted before?

Parker twice.

Dejounte
05-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Dude's game looks impressive as hell compared to the other guards in the late lottery. But we dont need another freaking guard! Not unless we trade both Forbes and Mills.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Parker twice.
Damn 20 years ago. Back when the spurs could work players out and not get them stolen :lol

Russ
05-15-2019, 08:03 PM
As I posted back in March, Porter's got an NBA body (he's stout and plays bigger than the 6'5" or 6'6" he's listed as) and he can hit the three (.412%).

As others have noted, he's got some issues -- he was injured earlier in the season (the dreaded thigh bruise) and then was suspended by USC for unspecified reasons -- so he could drop to where the Spurs draft. (NBADraft.net had the Spurs picking him with their second pick at 29 in March and now he's picked at #32 on that site. He's higher-rated on most others.)

In any event, Porter finished the season after his suspension on the court and playing well.

I've seen him play for USC in person and he passes the eyeball test -- he could be the athletic wing everyone wants. (His sturdy build, athletic moves, and mid-range game remind me a bit of NBA swingmen from the 90's.)

In fact, he's one of the three guys I like for the Spurs at #19, getting him at #29 would be an even bigger heist.

sananspursfan21
05-15-2019, 08:27 PM
I see him in a few mock drafts going to San Antonio. How often have the mock drafts gotten it right in terms of who the Spurs draft?

Dejounte
05-15-2019, 08:42 PM
19 Grant Williams
Trade up with Forbes/Bertans with the 29 and get this guy.

picnroll
05-15-2019, 08:43 PM
A lot of discussion I heard and read from guys who track the draft closely, talk to NBA personell, like Vecine, say that since there are so few guards in the draft that can create their own shot some team is likely to take a flyer on Porter relatively early. He’d be one of my favorites, along with Clarke who I guarantee isn’t falling to 19. After that it’s a crap shoot on bigs but frankly I think Spurs have nowhere near the feel for drafting and ability to develop bigs compared to guards.

ZeusWillJudge
05-15-2019, 08:43 PM
I don't know if the Spurs could "fix" him, but USC was definitely not a good place for him - they were a train wreck this year. Whatever happened was bad enough that the coach not only suspended him, but speculated at the time that he may have played his last game as a Trojan. But there were other discipline problems on that team, and it doesn't sound like there were many positive influences for Porter.

Pretty much everyone projected him in the lottery, before the injury and incident. I'd welcome taking him at 29, if he fell that far. A rare chance to get a lottery caliber talent well outside the lottery, and a shot at hitting a home run out of the Kawhi trade. But I think that 19 pick is too important to take that big of a chance on. I'd be happy with another White/Murray level talent at 19, without so much risk or drama. If he's there at 29 then swing away Merrill.

FkLA
05-15-2019, 09:00 PM
Kind of off-topic...but is there something about lefties that makes them have a low release point and not shoot at their highest point of elevation? Manu, Harden, D'Angelo Russell, Conley, that one guy the Spurs brought up from Austin a couple years ago that moved just like Harden, this Porter guy, etc.

Seems like even the elite lefties aren't capable of having an unguardable shot like the elite righties who's release point is over their heads+get really good elevation (Durbeta, Nephew, MJ, Tmac, VC, Kirby, etc).

Russ
05-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Kind of off-topic...but is there something about lefties that makes them have a low release point and not shoot at their highest point of elevation? Manu, Harden, D'Angelo Russell, Conley, that one guy the Spurs brought up from Austin a couple years ago that moved just like Harden, this Porter guy, etc.

Seems like even the elite lefties aren't capable of having an unguardable shot like the elite righties who's release point is over their heads+get really good elevation (Durbeta, Nephew, MJ, Tmac, VC, Kirby, etc).

Lefties are also shooting into the dominant hand of their defender. That tends to advantage right-handed shooters as compared to lefties.

FkLA
05-15-2019, 09:11 PM
This dude looks legit though. So far my second favorite prospect, out of the very few I've looked at, after Rui. Definitely worth taking a shot on him if he's available.

FkLA
05-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Lefties are also shooting into the dominant hand of their defender. That tends to advantage right-handed shooters as compared to lefties.

Yeah, but I don't know why that would prevent lefties from having this type of shooting form:

https://i.imgur.com/LOVVon2.jpg?1 https://i.imgur.com/qRbK5z2.jpg?1

I think it might have something to do with their body mechanics, tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
05-15-2019, 09:29 PM

You would think that would force them to have a higher release point to survive.

Biggems
05-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Mysterious injury?......no thank you.....dealt with that shit with kawhine....the wounds are still too fresh

spurs1990
05-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Spurs Comparison - Floor: More Erratic Vernon Maxwell

Ok so this guy is my Spurs spirit prospect. SJax and Manu my favorite Spurs players and Mad Max the reason I followed the team in '97. And my favorite BCS college Southern Cal to boot.

Unfortunate Spurs are overloaded with 6'5 swingmen.

If he's there at 29 then swing away Merrill.
:bobo

TheGreatYacht
05-15-2019, 11:48 PM
My favorite prospect after Bol Bol. Would package Aldridge or both of our firsts to move up and get him. Doubt he falls to 19.

He's not a player that will grab coffee or prepare the towels, so I doubt dictator Pop even has him on the board.

Trueblood
05-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Plain Jane comp

Murray (Parker)
White (Green)
Porter Jr (Ginobili)
Walker (Kawhi)
Aldridge (Duncan)

Gay, Poetl, Forbes. Trade Derozan for assets/solid pieces and you’re set.

That kind of structure dismantled the Heat.

Not the worst scenario. I do feel, however, that if we're going that route we should trade Mills away also so he won't take minutes from these guys (maybe even Forbes too) then trade LA also for a good combo forward prospect. Around the time these guys are ready to compete for a championship (2-3 years) LA will be well passed his exportation date. This group with an athletic combo forward and Poetl (with continued development) could be scary. But this same group with an over the hill LA wouldn't have the same effect.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2019, 07:18 AM
My favorite prospect after Bol Bol. Would package Aldridge or both of our firsts to move up and get him. Doubt he falls to 19.

He's not a player that will grab coffee or prepare the towels, so I doubt dictator Pop even has him on the board.

:pop: "he's not over himself. Draft the slow, unathletic white guy who listens"

Big Empty
05-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Ive been watching highlight reels of this guy. He’s the one. This dude has handles, big guard, gots moves, can drive to the hoop, and is athletic. He is also explosive and has hops. He’s young and stupid but im sure he’l grow out of that with a mentor like Pop.id trade both picks to move up & grab him

exstatic
05-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Ive been watching highlight reels of this guy. He’s the one. This dude has handles, big guard, gots moves, can drive to the hoop, and is athletic. He is also explosive and has hops. He’s young and stupid but im sure he’l grow out of that with a mentor like Pop.id trade both picks to move up & grab him

Did Stephen Jackson ever outgrow young and stupid?

Seventyniner
05-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Now just imagine Manu's brain in Jax's body. MVP candidate right there. Manu only ever played more than 2300 minutes once, Jax did it 7 times. This combination would have the durability and the talent to put up the raw numbers it takes to bring home the hardware.

Seventyniner
05-16-2019, 09:20 AM

The young part, yes.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Now just imagine Manu's brain in Jax's body. MVP candidate right there. Manu only ever played more than 2300 minutes once, Jax did it 7 times. This combination would have the durability and the talent to put up the raw numbers it takes to bring home the hardware.

give me Manu's brain with Manu's body and we got a player who can bring home the hardware

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-16-2019, 10:22 AM
I like him. He can play the 3, so I don't see a problem with his fit next to Murray, White and Walker.

exstatic
05-16-2019, 10:33 AM
give me Manu's brain with Manu's body and we got a player who can bring home the hardware

Manu's body was constantly injured and breaking down. Jackson, OTOH, was a horse. A stupid horse, but a horse. You give Manu's brain a body like that, one that can play 35 minutes for 82 games, he's perennially All NBA.

R. DeMurre
05-16-2019, 11:00 AM
I see him in a few mock drafts going to San Antonio. How often have the mock drafts gotten it right in terms of who the Spurs draft?

Almost never.

kobyz
05-16-2019, 12:09 PM
is he a better prospect than walker?

FkLA
05-16-2019, 12:14 PM

The young part, yes.

:lol

Seriously, that guy is a jackass. I used to like the fact that he was "hood" in my teens, but at a certain point one grows up and realizes those type of people are just idiots.

Dennis the Menace
05-16-2019, 12:15 PM
is he a better prospect than walker?

If he acclimates to the culture, yes based on flexibility of being able to matchup with 4’s. Lonnie’s body miiiight be able to get there, just would take a lot of work.

TheGreatYacht
05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
:pop: "he's not over himself. Draft the slow, unathletic white guy who listens"
Oh god, then the vanilla soy boys would make that scrub sound like the next great hope. Just like they told us Milutinov, Bertans, Hanga, Fathead would amount to shit

Dennis the Menace
05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
If Porter had a clean background he’d be a Top 7 pick imo

kobyz
05-16-2019, 01:46 PM
make sense only if we trade Walker, no need for same type of project...

exstatic
05-16-2019, 01:56 PM
If Porter had a clean background he’d be a Top 7 pick imo

Yup. I'm not sure the Spurs would run through his kind of red flags, though.

spurs1990
05-16-2019, 03:47 PM
:lol

Seriously, that guy is a jackass. I used to like the fact that he was "hood" in my teens, but at a certain point one grows up and realizes those type of people are just idiots.

I'm not sure about this. Let's just say Pop doesn't take Jax's attitude as arrogance or insubordination, and he keeps his spot heading into the 2013 playoffs. I seriously believe he contributes at one point to take out Miami. Even then he is brought back the next year and probably 2015 as well. He would've been a solid rotational player for two more deep playoff runs.

As it stands we only have two playoffs to judge him in San Antonio - 2003 and 2012. The former his play-making in the Dallas and New Jersey series were undeniable.
In 2012 game 6 vs OKC, he lit it up with his three's, but mysteriously was phased out down the stretch, and the Spurs were knocked out.

Again he's my co-favorite Spur alongside Manu, but I think objectively he had he right makeup for his second run here. Unfortunate that he and Manu are at odds, evidently due to rivalry in both his stays.

DesignatedT
05-16-2019, 03:50 PM
I think he’s gonna end up being a load offensively. James hardenesque. We’re just so guard heavy already.

Russ
05-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Porter was interviewed on ESPN's NBA Combine coverage this afternoon. He came across well. (Definitely well-spoken compared to many of the other lottery interviewees.)

The white individual who was not Jay Bilas commented that Porter was "the most gifted live-dribble scorer in this draft."

Here are the combine numbers that they put on screen:

Max Vertical 34" 3rd for SGs

Standing Vertical 27" 3rd for SGs

Lane Agility 10.82 sec 2nd for SGs

3/4 Court Sprint 3.21 sec 2nd for SGs

Shuttle Run 3.03 sec 1st for SGs

Dennis the Menace
05-16-2019, 05:10 PM
I think he’s gonna end up being a load offensively. James hardenesque. We’re just so guard heavy already.

Id rather trade up for a James Harden than stay pat for a Kyle Anderson

exstatic
05-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Id rather trade up for a James Harden than stay pat for a Kyle Anderson

There is no James Harden in this draft. Not this kid. Not any other kid.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-17-2019, 05:34 AM
Porter was interviewed on ESPN's NBA Combine coverage this afternoon. He came across well. (Definitely well-spoken compared to many of the other lottery interviewees.)

The white individual who was not Jay Bilas commented that Porter was "the most gifted live-dribble scorer in this draft."

Here are the combine numbers that they put on screen:

Max Vertical 34" 3rd for SGs

Standing Vertical 27" 3rd for SGs

Lane Agility 10.82 sec 2nd for SGs

3/4 Court Sprint 3.21 sec 2nd for SGs

Shuttle Run 3.03 sec 1st for SGs

Looking at his combine numbers really makes me appreciate even more how athletic Lonnie Walker is. Lonnie's numbers blow this guys out the water. Lol

Last years draft had way better athletes overall

Russ
05-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Looking at his combine numbers really makes me appreciate even more how athletic Lonnie Walker is. Lonnie's numbers blow this guys out the water. Lol

Last years draft had way better athletes overall

I saw later numbers in which Porter's standing among the SGs dropped.

In other words, Porter was 1st in the shuttle run at the time I posted but dropped some after more participants ran.

TXstbobcat
05-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Any chance he could fall to the spurs at 19 or would they have to trade up to get him?

timvp
05-27-2019, 02:39 AM
Pretty impressed the more I watch him. High ceiling ... on both ends really. Really sturdily built and athletic. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to turn into a top 5 SG. There's also a lot of bust potential due to his character red flags but he'd be difficult to pass on at 19, IMO.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 03:09 AM
Pretty impressed the more I watch him. High ceiling ... on both ends really. Really sturdily built and athletic. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to turn into a top 5 SG. There's also a lot of bust potential due to his character red flags but he'd be difficult to pass on at 19, IMO.

He could be DDR with a 3 point shot and better defense(let say it's a Jerry Steakhouse type), or ends up a Wayne Selden type bench player if he's not put it all together, him and Cam Reddish are the most boom or bust prospect in the draft...

kobyz
05-27-2019, 03:12 AM
If you draft Porter there will be a need to trade Walker...

timvp
05-27-2019, 03:22 AM
If you draft Porter there will be a need to trade Walker...

Nah, you keep White, Murray and Walker since:

1) Not all four guys are going to pan out. At least one of them will bust. The Spurs are good drafters but they aren't perfect.

2) With the league getting smaller, you can probably get away with playing three of them at any given time. If not today then probably tomorrow, tbh.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 03:59 AM
Nah, you keep White, Murray and Walker since:

1) Not all four guys are going to pan out. At least one of them will bust. The Spurs are good drafters but they aren't perfect.

2) With the league getting smaller, you can probably get away with playing three of them at any given time. If not today then probably tomorrow, tbh.

But they might not have room to grow together as they same type of project and might better to focus on one as not enough minutes to try develop both... I'm more believer in Porter than Walker, if you draft Porter at #19 I think it better to trade Walker for other value, maybe package him with #29 to move up...

TrainOfThought5
05-27-2019, 04:20 AM
He could be DDR with a 3 point shot and better defense(let say it's a Jerry Steakhouse type), or ends up a Wayne Selden type bench player if he's not put it all together, him and Cam Reddish are the most boom or bust prospect in the draft...

So a young JR Smith?

kobyz
05-27-2019, 04:27 AM
So a young JR Smith?
Walker is more a JR Smith...

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-27-2019, 04:49 AM
But they might not have room to grow together as they same type of project and might better to focus on one as not enough minutes to try develop both... I'm more believer in Porter than Walker, if you draft Porter at #19 I think it better to trade Walker for other value, maybe package him with #29 to move up...

I’m curious why you feel Porter will be the better player?

kobyz
05-27-2019, 05:23 AM
I’m curious why you feel Porter will be the better player?
it's not that I'm that high on Porter, it's more that I'm very low on Walker, both are gamble, but Porter seems to have better feel for the game...

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 06:17 AM
it's not that I'm that high on Porter, it's more that I'm very low on Walker, both are gamble, but Porter seems to have better feel for the game...

It sucks but I have to agree... But i think the Spurs would hate letting go of someone they developed for a year. Backcourt would be so crowded if we keep both though.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-27-2019, 06:24 AM

So you feel Walker doesn’t have a good feel for the game. Hopefully he has learned a lot from the coaching staff and teammates

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 06:36 AM
So you feel Walker doesn’t have a good feel for the game. Hopefully he has learned a lot from the coaching staff and teammates

To be fair, Dejounte had no feel for the game either in his first year. He was always lost on defense that year.

TXstbobcat
05-27-2019, 10:45 AM

would you only take him if he falls to 19 or he worth trading up for? Do you think he will still be there at 19 due to his character issues?

bluebellmaniac
05-27-2019, 11:07 AM
The mere mention of SJ's brain tells me the FO wouldn't touch this kid with the 49th pick.

DJR210
05-27-2019, 11:34 AM

In his case he's progressively become stupider IMO

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 12:57 PM
DJ called this kid the best player in the upcoming draft on instagram.

pad300
05-27-2019, 01:40 PM
DJ called this kid the best player in the upcoming draft on instagram.

Welp, so much for Dejounte's second career being a draft savant. Oh well, he'll just have to be a good basketball player...

Truth4sale$
05-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Have mixed feelings on taking him, although he will likely spend next year in Austin. That being said, Belineli and Forbes will be free agents after next year too. so after a year in Austin, he could replace one of them. The Spurs would have the best collection of siz and athletic, defensive guards in two years. Not a bad situation to be in.

timvp
05-27-2019, 02:38 PM
would you only take him if he falls to 19 or he worth trading up for? Do you think he will still be there at 19 due to his character issues?

Given the character issues, I don't think he's worth trading up to pick.

As for the character issues, I've heard conflicting reports. Some say he was just upset about his role. Others say weed, alcohol, partying and missed practices led to him getting suspended. He's good enough to overlook a minor issue or two but he's not good to draft if he's a basket case.

picnroll
05-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Given the character issues, I don't think he's worth trading up to pick.

As for the character issues, I've heard conflicting reports. Some say he was just upset about his role. Others say weed, alcohol, partying and missed practices led to him getting suspended. He's good enough to overlook a minor issue or two but he's not good to draft if he's a basket case.

One report I heard from the combine interviews was that he has the reputation of a somewhat selfish player and when asked what he needed to do to change his game was to just keep doing what he’s doing. Not the most encouraging answer.

cd021
05-29-2019, 05:44 PM

ace3g
05-29-2019, 08:52 PM
some dunks

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1133911846954496001

Cardinal
05-30-2019, 07:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYuN90bojsQ

In my opinion his skill set is redundant with Walker already on the roster and Walker is a better prospect anyway.

ace3g
06-08-2019, 11:07 AM
old news but:

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/1137390322361782274

cd021
06-12-2019, 07:51 AM
https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/11/mock-draft-draft-stock-top-prospects-early-entry-deadline/

Looks like Porter slipped to around 20. IIRC he impressed the Spurs doing an interview and also worked out for them. Apparently has also been getting mentored by Dejounte Murray.

"Two NBA guards, Jamal Crawford of the Phoenix Suns and Dejounte Murray of the Spurs, have mentored Porter. Crawford, one of the NBA’s top sixth men, has advised Porter since he was in the eighth grade in Seattle.

“More mental than physical,” Porter said of the advice from Crawford and Murray. “They know I can play; they want me mentally locked in for every single workout.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article231319743.html

duncan2150
06-12-2019, 08:31 AM
https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/11/mock-draft-draft-stock-top-prospects-early-entry-deadline/

Looks like Porter slipped to around 20. IIRC he impressed the Spurs doing an interview and also worked out for them. Apparently has also been getting mentored by Dejounte Murray.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article231319743.html

He's from Seattle like Crawford and Murray.

He's intriguing for sure.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Dejounte seems to be doing a lot of mentoring. He could be the team leader this year. There’s definitely a vacuum.

Degoat
06-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Could this guy play SF or is he to small?

DesignatedT
06-12-2019, 09:23 AM

He measured 6'4 without shoes. Prob a little undersized for today's standards.

picnroll
06-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Walker is an inch shorter but 2” longer wingspan and better vertical. If he’s adding 20 lbs like they asked him to he’s probably better suited to spend time at SF than Porter.

Dejounte
06-12-2019, 09:50 AM
He measured 6'4 without shoes. Prob a little undersized for today's standards.

Yet Nassir Little is the same size and people here want him.

NickiRasgo
06-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Just saw him commented on DJ's post in IG. Checked his profile and got surprised that he's being followed by DeMar. DeMar only following about 160-170+ accounts, it's just weird to see what's their connection.

Big Empty
06-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Just saw him commented on DJ's post. Checked his profile and got surprised that he's being followed by DeMar. Demar only following about 160-170+ accounts, it's just weird to see what's their connection.interesting. Hes one of the guys i like in this draft. Dude has handles and can get to the hole

NickiRasgo
06-12-2019, 10:11 AM
I guess it's the school:

Enter Kevin Porter Jr., a freshman guard from USC. Despite only starting four games and playing in 21 games during his lone season with the Trojans, Porter Jr. is projected to be picked in the first round of the 2019 NBA draft.

"USC's first five-star recruit since DeMar DeRozan in 2008, there is little doubt that Porter has the athleticism and ball-handling skills necessary for the 6-foot-7, 19-year-old to make the jump to the NBA," Ira Winderman wrote in a story outlining the Heat's potential interest in the guard. "The questions, however, are on the maturity side, suspended at midseason by Trojans coach Andy Enfield for 'conduct issues.'"

cd021
06-12-2019, 10:31 AM
As pointed out earlier, he went to the same HS that the Spurs scout DJ but he also went to USC where the Spurs scouted Metu for 2 years. Sure they have connections there to get additional information about him.

picnroll
06-12-2019, 10:45 AM
As pointed out earlier, he went to the same HS that the Spurs scout DJ but he also went to USC where the Spurs scouted Metu for 2 years. Sure they have connections there to get additional information about him.

Vecinie’s Game Theory podcast today covered Porter. Basically they felt he had the highest potential upside outside the top few in the draft if he works hard and reaches his potential. Way, way unlikely to be there at 19 and would enter a very crowded field of Spurs wings with potential. Maybe Pop could be the first coach to run five PGs, SGs, small SFs all at the same time.

exstatic
06-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Vecinie’s Game Theory podcast today covered Porter. Basically they felt he had the highest potential upside outside the top few in the draft if he works hard and reaches his potential. Way, way unlikely to be there at 19 and would enter a very crowded field of Spurs wings with potential. Maybe Pop could be the first coach to run five PGs, SGs, small SFs all at the same time.

Don Nelson was the first real small ball implementing coach. He ran 6'5" Mario Elie at PF and beat the Spurs in a playoff series.

pad300
06-12-2019, 11:41 AM

No saying I want Nassir, but he's got 4" more wingspan and 15-20 pounds on KPJ...

Russ
06-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Don Nelson was the first real small ball implementing coach. He ran 6'5" Mario Elie at PF and beat the Spurs in a playoff series.

6'5" Mario Ellie guarded David Robinson that series -- the Warriors just fouled every time DRob touched the ball. And it wasn't just Ellie, the Warriors ran waves of players at DRob. . .

The Spurs didn't (or couldn't) adjust. That was the beginning of the end for Larry Brown.

rjv
06-12-2019, 12:10 PM
6'5" Mario Ellie guarded David Robinson that series -- the Warriors just fouled every time DRob touched the ball. And it wasn't just Ellie, the Warriors ran waves of players at DRob. . .

The Spurs didn't (or couldn't) adjust. That was the beginning of the end for Larry Brown. i thought i remembered elie giving terry cummings lots of fits in that series.

DJR210
06-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Dejounte seems to be doing a lot of mentoring. He could be the team leader this year. There’s definitely a vacuum.

He's always been like this.. he wants to lead, and it's only a matter of time before he gets the full respect of the team and blossoms into a true star IMO. I couldn't find a clip on Youtube, but in his last season there was a time where he was stepping on coach Pop's toes in the timeout coaching the team himself on needing to crash the boards.. Pop looked at him funny but allowed him to interrupt and then gave a sarcastic "Thanks DJ" after the end of his coaching

SpurPadre
06-12-2019, 01:54 PM
He's always been like this.. he wants to lead, and it's only a matter of time before he gets the full respect of the team and blossoms into a true star IMO. I couldn't find a clip on Youtube, but in his last season there was a time where he was stepping on coach Pop's toes in the timeout coaching the team himself on needing to crash the boards.. Pop looked at him funny but allowed him to interrupt and then gave a sarcastic "Thanks DJ" after the end of his coaching

That was at the beginning of last season. Pop actually said "He's right" after DJ talked about needing to crash the boards.

timvp
06-12-2019, 04:04 PM
One worrying thing is it appears as if his shot mechanics are getting worse. Tbh, it looks like he's been getting lessons from Lonzo Ball. Super low release point, putting the ball on other side of his face ... man, I don't know. Add in his pitiful free throw percentage and he could literally be on that Lonzo 40/30/50 arc.

nxo7MtvkP54

I realize he can get separation but I'm not 100% convinced he can even get that shot off at the NBA level. Chip would have his hands full, tbh...

DPG21920
06-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Ima say no to this one. It’s one thing with a guy like Hayes and worrying about fit with Poeltl, LMA & Milu. It’s another worrying about fit with Murray, White & Lonnie.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-12-2019, 04:22 PM
One worrying thing is it appears as if his shot mechanics are getting worse. Tbh, it looks like he's been getting lessons from Lonzo Ball. Super low release point, putting the ball on other side of his face ... man, I don't know. Add in his pitiful free throw percentage and he could literally be on that Lonzo 40/30/50 arc.

nxo7MtvkP54

I realize he can get separation but I'm not 100% convinced he can even get that shot off at the NBA level. Chip would have his hands full, tbh...

It would be much less exciting, but I would actually love to see a workout video of a player shooting 50 throws in a row.

TD 21
06-12-2019, 04:33 PM

Little is 6'6'' in shoes (6'4.5'' barefoot, so add an inch and round up) 224, with a 7'1.25'' wingspan. He's a little on the shorter side, but that's very much the physical profile of a combo forward.

Porter Jr. is half an incher shorter, 11 pounds lighter and has a 4.25 inch shorter wingspan. That's the physical profile of a wing.

Ima say no to this one. It’s one thing with a guy like Hayes and worrying about fit with Poeltl, LMA & Milu. It’s another worrying about fit with Murray, White & Lonnie.

I'm not opposed. If he's the highest upside play and the supposed character issues aren't overly concerning, go for it.

Everything needs to be on the table. If they think he's comparable to Walker and actually give Walker a role next season and he shows flashes of serious potential, he can double as a valuable trade chip. Not saying you necessarily move him obviously, just that it would give them more options.

I already view Murray and White that way. Sure, all 3 can play together some, but if they all hit the ceilings many believe they have, at some point a decision will most likely have to be made anyway.

picnroll
06-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Draft Porter, give Chip a BIG raise, he’ll earn it.

ATXSpursfan
06-12-2019, 05:48 PM
He has a ton of potential, and if he can develop a consistent shot he will be dangerous. But i cant see taking him when we just took Lonnie.

exstatic
06-12-2019, 06:26 PM
He has a ton of potential, and if he can develop a consistent shot he will be dangerous. But i cant see taking him when we just took Lonnie.

If they feel he is BPA, they will take him. They won't do that, though, if Chip doesn't think his shot is fixable. That would drop him way down on their board.

Cardinal
06-13-2019, 02:50 AM
His shooting form needs a lot of work

picnroll
06-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Porter or Little are my picks if either is there or Spurs can move up to get one. Both have some warts on paper but to me these are the two that have the potential to be stars if everything pans out once you get past the very top picks. To me Spurs have to buy the lottery ticket and hope it hits. They aren't going to be drawing top FAs so they have to home grow them. Maybe if they have a great core they can bring in a top FA to complement them.

BackHome
06-15-2019, 08:51 PM
He is falling like a falling star...i think a lot of red flags showing up..

timvp
06-16-2019, 11:24 AM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-kevin-porter-jr-usc-nba-draft-20190616-story.html

Good article on KPJ's background. Doesn't sound like a bad kid, tbh, but I could understand how his ... complicated ... background could cause NBA teams to hesitate.

With the high school connection to Murray and the USC connection to DeRozan, the Spurs sound like they'd be a good landing spot for him. If the front office believes in his talent enough to draft him, that'd be pretty exciting.

Big Empty
06-16-2019, 11:38 AM
On second thought, shoots like Lonzo. Terrible form. Pass

ace3g
06-19-2019, 09:09 PM
https://twitter.com/PaoloUggetti/status/1141365022867591168

SpurPadre
06-19-2019, 09:15 PM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-kevin-porter-jr-usc-nba-draft-20190616-story.html

Good article on KPJ's background. Doesn't sound like a bad kid, tbh, but I could understand how his ... complicated ... background could cause NBA teams to hesitate.

With the high school connection to Murray and the USC connection to DeRozan, the Spurs sound like they'd be a good landing spot for him. If the front office believes in his talent enough to draft him, that'd be pretty exciting.

Pop just doesn't get guys like him, though. Just can't see it happening.