PDA

View Full Version : Dejonte Murray makes STATEMENT regarding his spurs future

Floyd Pacquiao
05-17-2019, 06:20 PM
https://twitter.com/DejounteMurray/status/1129470216986144770?s=19
Good kid, really hope he can develop an offensive game, tbh.

spurraider21
05-17-2019, 06:35 PM
<3

TimmyBuckets
05-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Awesome!

slick'81
05-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Kid loves sa

spurraider21
05-17-2019, 06:43 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/frustrated.gif

r0drig0lac
05-17-2019, 06:44 PM
the leader! https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smihat.gif

Spurs fever
05-17-2019, 06:47 PM
The team desperately needs his swag and confidence.

FkLA
05-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Why is this guy so obsessed with coming off as a hard worker? He could've easily expressed his loyalty to the Spurs without throwing his "I work out" comment in there. :lol

BD24
05-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Of course a certain faggot needed to put a negative spin on this :lol

TheRemix
05-17-2019, 08:11 PM
We'll believe it when we see it

SpurPadre
05-17-2019, 08:14 PM
That's my dude. The Heir Apparent, tbh.

GusT15
05-17-2019, 08:15 PM
https://twitter.com/DejounteMurray/status/1129470216986144770?s=19
Good kid, really hope he can develop an offensive game, tbh.

https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/18688294600

Immortal Spur
05-17-2019, 08:23 PM
thought of the same thing when I read that tweet....

GusT15
05-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Talk is good and all but never trust anything an NBA player says regarding his future tbh imho

RD2191
05-17-2019, 08:36 PM

:lol

spursparker9
05-17-2019, 08:42 PM

:rollin

ditto

Dverde
05-17-2019, 08:47 PM
He wants to get paid, he know Spurs are the first team that can do it.

timtonymanu
05-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Encouraging words, but after the Nephew fiasco, I have to see it to believe it.

ZeusWillJudge
05-17-2019, 09:59 PM
Encouraging words, but after the Nephew fiasco, I have to see it to believe it.

The kid is smart. Belie dat.

And your memory may be better than mine, but I don't remember Nephew ever saying he wanted to die in silver and black. Murray is saying the right things. He's working his ass off. And he'll be here till he isn't.

Mugen
05-17-2019, 10:03 PM
Meh. That means nothing.

Anybody associated with a trash human being like Rich Paul is bound to turn their back on an organization sooner or later.

Instagram says a lot of the right things but I highly doubt this kid's loyalty, good riddance if/when he does leave though.

koriwhat
05-17-2019, 10:03 PM
The kid is smart. Belie dat.

And your memory may be better than mine, but I don't remember Nephew ever saying he wanted to die in silver and black. Murray is saying the right things. He's working his ass off. And he'll be here till he isn't.

iirc, kawhi expressed his desire to retire a life long spur a bit before flipping 180 and wanting out of SaTx.

GusT15
05-17-2019, 10:06 PM
iirc, kawhi expressed his desire to retire a life long spur a bit before flipping 180 and wanting out of SaTx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9e-qtr1y8

@3 minute mark

Never Forget

cd021
05-17-2019, 10:08 PM
Murray needs to be a star before he can ask for a trade tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
05-17-2019, 10:13 PM
@3 minute mark

Never Forget

LOL. That was when he was already sitting out, and had just gotten through saying he wasn't going on the road trip. They asked him, "Would you like to finish your career as a Spur?" And he said, "Uhhh….sure."

Duh.

If you see that as the same thing that Murry just said, you need some Butt Chapstick.

timvp
05-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Dejounte has alpha tendencies but we'll see if he can grow into that role. I'm hopeful ... and the Spurs need that sort of leader. :tu

GusT15
05-17-2019, 10:21 PM
LOL. That was when he was already sitting out, and had just gotten through saying he wasn't going on the road trip. They asked him, "Would you like to finish your career as a Spur?" And he said, "Uhhh….sure."

Duh.

If you see that as the same thing that Murry just said, you need some Butt Chapstick.

Well you can't expect Nephew to say it on twitter or instagram or whatever or even know how to properly express it,since he doesn't know how to use those things or how to actually talk to people.

ZeusWillJudge
05-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Well you can't expect Nephew to say it on twitter or instagram or whatever or even know how to properly express it,since he doesn't know how to use those things or how to actually talk to people.

LOL. Let's let it go at that.

GusT15
05-17-2019, 10:23 PM
LOL. Let's let it go at that.

:bobo

Big Empty
05-17-2019, 10:35 PM
John Snow of the Spurs!

Down Under
05-17-2019, 10:55 PM

@3 minute mark
That still sounds like the most 'coached' answers to questions I've heard outside of politics. Feel sorry for him knowing his upbringing.
Never Forget

DMC
05-17-2019, 11:41 PM
Sure sign he's talking to other teams.

DMC
05-17-2019, 11:43 PM
John Snow of the Spurs!

No that would be Apa who fucks his aunt.

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Then practice a thousand trifectas a day boy!!!

Dont sleep that much, just keep shooting

And evade sex from time to time, go to the gym and SHOOT!!!

not shoot into her, silly

hahahahahhahahahahahahha!!

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo

DJR210
05-18-2019, 12:07 AM
Of course a certain faggot needed to put a negative spin on this :lol

I love Dejounte and really am pulling for him to come back w/ a vengeance fueled by trying to prove he's healthy, and the friendly internal competition with Derrick, but I don't blame FkLA for saying that shit.. I get the same try hard vibe from him w/ his Instagram posts. This is the year to ball out, no more videos and talking.

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:07 AM

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:09 AM
:lobt2:

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:09 AM
GIANNIS >>>>>>>>>>>> kawhitot

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:10 AM
in todays game:

ILYASOVA >>>>>>>> kawhi

hahahahahahahahhahaha

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:10 AM
GIANNIS >>>>>>>>>>>>GOD OF THE NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:11 AM
EVOLUTION OF MY FAVORITE PLAYERS

ROBINSON ........then MANU ..........then GIANNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:15 AM
the bucks can play man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducks
05-18-2019, 12:20 AM
Dude could be playing Gs tied 1-1 now if Murray was healthy

Dex
05-18-2019, 12:22 AM
Spurs finally get a young talent who works hard, has progressed quickly, is vocally committed to the team, and strives to be a leader...and there are still so many asshats around here who want to throw him under the bus because "oh his jumper" or "he spends too much time on Instagram".

Some of you are just never satisfied...or maybe you just like to bitch because it makes you feel like you stand out.

cutewizard
05-18-2019, 12:30 AM
:whine

phxspurfan
05-18-2019, 12:31 AM
"Would you like to finish your career as a Spur?" yeah...sure *side eye*

azarel
05-18-2019, 12:38 AM
Spurs finally get a young talent who works hard, has progressed quickly, is vocally committed to the team, and strives to be a leader...and there are still so many asshats around here who want to throw him under the bus because "oh his jumper" or "he spends too much time on Instagram".

Some of you are just never satisfied...or maybe you just like to bitch because it makes you feel like you stand out.

exactly... i rather Dejounte spend more time on Instagram and not with his uncle....

slick'81
05-18-2019, 12:42 AM
"Would you like to finish your career as a Spur?" yeah...sure *side eye*

Yea comment was disturbing af

R. DeMurre
05-18-2019, 01:28 AM
I don't get all the "Instagram" insults hurled at this guy... he's 22, and his Instagram account has 74 posts, which is extremely moderate. Yeah, I know there was drama with his lady, but still-- this idea that he's obsessed with Instagram and some sort of horrible self involved millennial seems like a fabrication not based in reality.

Pavlov
05-18-2019, 03:48 AM
I don't get all the "Instagram" insults hurled at this guy... he's 22, and his Instagram account has 74 posts, which is extremely moderate. Yeah, I know there was drama with his lady, but still-- this idea that he's obsessed with Instagram and some sort of horrible self involved millennial seems like a fabrication not based in reality.ST is full of old white dudes tbh.

SpurPadre
05-18-2019, 04:24 AM

It's mainly the Derrick White fans who feel threatened by Murray because he's the higher ceiling player and would rather see him fail than regain his starting spot over White.

ShutUp SayItAgain!
05-18-2019, 04:34 AM

:lol

MoSpur02
05-18-2019, 07:46 AM

@3 minute mark

Never Forget

We all knew there was very little honesty during that interview. What was he supposed to say? There was already trouble in paradise. He was pretty much out the door.

paperboy77
05-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Why is anyone complaining about this? The kids probably a little naive if he really means his statements. Still, Gotta love that enthusiasm. Coulda used his fire vs Denver.

ECOV
05-18-2019, 11:05 AM
I don't get all the "Instagram" insults hurled at this guy... he's 22, and his Instagram account has 74 posts, which is extremely moderate. Yeah, I know there was drama with his lady, but still-- this idea that he's obsessed with Instagram and some sort of horrible self involved millennial seems like a fabrication not based in reality.

This

Crazymaddopeyo
05-18-2019, 11:12 AM

I don’t hate ask Dj but I don’t get the hype behind him. I know he’s a good defender and for me that’s enough but I haven’t seen much from offensively except some practice videos, on here though the people that love him talk about him like he’s the second coming of Kawhi and I haven’t seen anything to point that way.

BillMc
05-18-2019, 11:34 AM
ST has a unique ability to turn positives into negatives.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Dex
05-18-2019, 11:35 AM
It's mainly the Derrick White fans who feel threatened by Murray because he's the higher ceiling player and would rather see him fail than regain his starting spot over White.

While I think that's a legitimate concern, I also think there are worse problems to have than trying to find roles and minutes for two young, promising players. Considering DDR plays more like a 3 now anyways, I think there is room for both Murray and White in the starting lineup...and I also don't think it would be the worse thing in the world if White ended up with more of a Manu role leading the bench unit (good passer, more shots available, etc.)

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 12:14 PM
I don’t hate ask Dj but I don’t get the hype behind him. I know he’s a good defender and for me that’s enough but I haven’t seen much from offensively except some practice videos, on here though the people that love him talk about him like he’s the second coming of Kawhi and I haven’t seen anything to point that way.

I agree 100%

He hasn't shown much offensively and he didn't really seem to be a true point guard in the sense of setting the table for teammates his 1st couple of seasons. His 2nd season towards the end of the year his corner 3 was looking solid. I think he will be better this upcoming season but I feel folks are overreacting on how better he will be. White is clearly more of a point guard than Murray but Murray is younger and still learning.

I hope offensively he finishes better at the rim and his shot is better, especially from 3. I'm looking forward to seeing the continued maturation of all our young players games

tim_duncan_fan
05-18-2019, 12:15 PM
Imma be honest: we need niggas that get on Instagram.

If DJM's numbers grow, his jersey is going to be poppin'.

The organization needs a little dash of swag, not too much, but a little.

We need some nasty.

koriwhat
05-18-2019, 01:55 PM
in todays game:

ILYASOVA >>>>>>>> kawhi

hahahahahahahahhahaha

homeboy tore it up!

ECOV
05-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Most likely they live a negative lifestyle as well

ECOV
05-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Imma be honest: we need niggas that get on Instagram.

If DJM's numbers grow, his jersey is going to be poppin'.

The organization needs a little dash of swag, not too much, but a little.

We need some nasty.

Truth ..people forget basketball is a business as well, you NEED to develop a brand

SpurPadre
05-18-2019, 02:14 PM
While I think that's a legitimate concern, I also think there are worse problems to have than trying to find roles and minutes for two young, promising players. Considering DDR plays more like a 3 now anyways, I think there is room for both Murray and White in the starting lineup...and I also don't think it would be the worse thing in the world if White ended up with more of a Manu role leading the bench unit (good passer, more shots available, etc.)

It's not a legitimate concern that a player who plays for your team could be better than another player on the team who plays the same position. THAT is what White player fans are worried about and it isn't cool, especially since Murray has the higher ceiling and is younger. I want both to succeed but it's clear to me Murray is the player with the most promise who would never get yanked out of a Game 7. I don't know if White should start as the SG with DDR at the 3. We'll see how things develop. DeRozan works best at the 2 and even if Murray and White improve their 3 point shooting, which I know they will, they will likely not be elite 3 point shooters by next season. We need a volume shooter in the lineup of Murray, DDR, LMA, and Poetl...and one who can defend somewhat unlike Forbes, who while he'll never be a legit starter in the NBA, proved to me in the playoffs that he could be big off the bench in the Belinelli role next season. I want to see how Walker develops and who we draft to see who we can start at the 2 because those are our best options with impact trades and impact free agency not on the table. If we don't have that player after all that, then yes, I'd be all for White starting at the two. The back court defense would be awesome but the shooting could be a big concern. Forbes chucked alot of shots for my liking during the regular season but in his defense, somebody needed to take 3s and he was effective from that one standpoint as a starter. It'll be interesting to see how things shape up. I just want to see this team maximize the best of their core. White as our sixth man looks to be the best option to me but we shall see.

Dex
05-18-2019, 02:23 PM
It's not a legitimate concern that a player who plays for your team could be better than another player on the team who plays the same position. THAT is what White player fans are worried about and it isn't cool, especially since Murray has the higher ceiling and is younger. I want both to succeed but it's clear to me Murray is the player with the most promise who would never get yanked out of a Game 7. I don't know if White should start as the SG with DDR at the 3. We'll see how things develop. DeRozan works best at the 2 and even if Murray and White improve their 3 point shooting, which I know they will, they will likely not be elite 3 point shooters by next season. We need a volume shooter in the lineup of Murray, DDR, LMA, and Poetl...and one who can defend somewhat unlike Forbes, who while he'll never be a legit starter in the NBA, proved to me in the playoffs that he could be big off the bench in the Belinelli role next season. I want to see how Walker develops and who we draft to see who we can start at the 2 because those are our best options with impact trades and impact free agency not on the table. If we don't have that player after all that, then yes, I'd be all for White starting at the two. The back court defense would be awesome but the shooting could be a big concern. Forbes chucked alot of shots for my liking during the regular season but in his defense, somebody needed to take 3s and he was effective from that one standpoint as a starter. It'll be interesting to see how things shape up. I just want to see this team maximize the best of their core. White as our sixth man looks to be the best option to me but we shall see.

I agree that, to me, White coming off the bench makes more sense. Murray, LMA, and DDR are going to command the ball most of the time in the starting lineup...it would really put White's talent to waste if he just being expected to help bring the ball up and dump it off. He will have more freedom to create in the second unit, which already has a focus on shooting, ball and player movement, and spacing (places where White thrives).

This would leave a concern of 3-point shooting in the starting lineup but...assuming Murray has become a passable shooter and (hopefully) DeMar can contribute some in that area next year too, I don't think it will be too much of an issue. Frankly, White isn't enough of a prolific shooter to really solve that problem either. For all of Forbes' faults...he did at least provide some much needed spacing for that unit.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 03:22 PM
People can be dubious about Murray without being worried about White starting. I think Derrick's the better player (by a sizeable margin), but someone on RealGM proposed a White/DeRozan/Poeltl-for-4 trade, and I was cool with it. I think that if White is trade or whatever that the team could get by with Murray. I think they're very different players and that Murray simply doesn't fit what the team wants to do as well, especially on the first unit. Forbes, White, DeRozan, (defensive combo-forward) and Aldridge is a very good starting lineup. Murray's energy, rebounding and deflections work much better with guys like Mills, Beli, Bertans, Gay and Poeltl around him. It doesn't make sense to make White the primary guy. Let him and DeRozan form a good duo and team up with Aldridge and shooters, and let Murray run the high-octane bench. I simply don't believe Pop's plan of using pace to overcome spacing would work long term.

I don't have anything against Murray's off-court behavior. A lot of it I don't care about (like I have better things to do than worry about if he's with his girlfriend this week), but his desire to be the leader of the Spurs makes me want to root for him. When the dude's going around saying he wants to be the franchise player while turning out those near-triple-doubles, he feels almost like a movement rather than just a guy. I want that, and I think most Spurs fans want that. But DJM has to back it up more often. He's going to have to come in and be that guy rather than putting in a bunch of slipshod efforts like he did two years ago. He's up for an extension this summer and new contract the year after. PATFO needs to pay him as the guy he is and is going to be over the next five years, not the guy everyone hopes he can be.

tholdren
05-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Lol todays nba....

R. DeMurre
05-18-2019, 04:43 PM
. I think Derrick's the better player (by a sizeable margin), but someone on RealGM proposed a White/DeRozan/Poeltl-for-4 trade, and I was cool with it.

What was the trade proposal?

acoelho1
05-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Stop it already. There is zero chance Murray comes off the bench and there is every indication from Pop that he will play an important role next year. As far as White, he lacks 2 traits that Murray has in spades, toughness & leadership.

Ozballer
05-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Let's hope the player catches up with the character. So far it looks as if the image is eating the prospect player alive.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:07 PM
What was the trade proposal?

Literally that.

SpurPadre
05-18-2019, 06:12 PM
How is Derrick a better player by a "sizable margin"? And yes, there is zero chance Murray will come off the bench next season.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Stop it already. There is zero chance Murray comes off the bench and there is every indication from Pop that he will play an important role next year. As far as White, he lacks 2 traits that Murray has in spades, toughness & leadership.

Um... Pop's already said White will play an important role too. I honestly believe Pop's gonna try to start both with DeRozan, Aldridge and Poeltl. I just don't think it'll work, and since White is easily the best range shooter of the bunch, moving him out makes zero sense.

Also, White's a much better on-court leader than Murray. DJM is great off the court (media/politics), but he's not a floor-general in the same vein as White. Derrick runs a very good pick-and-roll, has arguably the best court vision on the roster and has a feel for the game far beyond his years. In terms of toughness, it doesn't make any sense to believe there's a big difference there. They're comparable playoff performers based on impact stats, and White spent the year as the "designated perimeter defender", which Murray didn't have to do. White held his own against PGs, SGs and SFs. Without getting into his actual effectiveness as a one-on-one defender, Murray almost exclusively guarded players he was bigger than.

DAF86
05-18-2019, 06:18 PM
If he can be our Draymond Green at PG, I would be more than happy with him. Just play great D, be the emotional leader, playmake and just shoot the open 3 when given the chance.

No need to be a 20+ scorer to be a vital piece.

Mikeanaro
05-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Yeah because the other 29 teams want him so bad...

DAF86
05-18-2019, 06:21 PM
Literally that.

Literally what? You didn't say anything. Unless 4 is a player now.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Literally what? You didn't say anything. Unless 4 is a player now.

Oh, yeah, 4 as in the fourth-overall pick.

DAF86
05-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Oh, yeah, 4 as in the fourth-overall pick.

Very hard to understand, tbh.

P/S: I wouldn't do that. I don't give a fuck about DD, but you would be giving up two players that seem to be pretty good pieces for the foreseeable future for a pick that doesn't even seem that promising.

picnroll
05-18-2019, 06:32 PM
White/DeRozan/Poeltl-for pick 4 in this years draft. Seriously?

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 06:32 PM
How is Derrick a better player by a "sizable margin"? And yes, there is zero chance Murray will come off the bench next season.

He is a better shooter from deep, the line and at the rim. He is also a better point guard in the sense he is able to effectively run the pick and roll, turns the ball over less, as well as probe the defense with his handle and find teammates. White is also capable of playing off the ball because he actually has a solid jump shot which makes it easier for him to share the court with DeRozan and Aldridge

Dejounte is better at rebounding and a some what better defender. I will say Murray's defense is good but I think a bit overrated because the teams he was on had better help defenders.

Murray is 2 years younger which I feel is why some folks think more highly of him over White. Murray still needs to get a little bit bigger and stronger to help him with finishing at the rim. If we are being honest with our assessment of the 2 players White is better now but Murray MIGHT be better down the road if everything shakes out well.

FkLA
05-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Yeah, hell no. Fake star or not, guys that can put up 21-6-6 don't grow on trees. White's floor is a high-end role player (which he's already at) with potential for much more. Poetl is a legitimate starting center. No thanks.

FkLA
05-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Oh, and only fucking idiots can't see that White is the significantly better player. :lol

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Very hard to understand, tbh.

P/S: I wouldn't do that. I don't give a fuck about DD, but you would be giving up two players that seem to be pretty good pieces for the foreseeable future for a pick that doesn't even seem that promising.

It's not that hard. If I said, "I wouldn't do a 19-for-Saric trade", you'd understand what I mean. People refer to picks by just their number all the time.

As far as the trade goes, I said I'd do it for a blue-chipper. I consider the Spurs "young core" tiers to go like this:

Walker
Murray, Poeltl
White, 19
Metu

If PATFO doesn't think there's still a prospect on the board at 4 who wouldn't top that list, then yeah, don't make the deal. May as well keep DeRozan or look to move him in a cheaper deal. But if they think that someone like Barrett, Hunter, Culiver or Reddish has a legit chance to be a top-two player in the draft, then White and Poeltl are really inconsequential in comparison. I think White is a better player than Murray, but if you're rebuilding, then you hope DeJounte keeps gaining skills and reaches his higher ceiling along with Walker. And as far as Jakob goes, you can just use 19 to pick from what is actually a pretty decent center class. Hell, you can find another ready-made guard at 29 too. I'd definitely prefer to keep White is DeRozan is going out, but I wouldn't let that stop me.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:39 PM
White/DeRozan/Poeltl-for pick 4 in this years draft. Seriously?

That was the offer. I would be willing to do it for the right guy, and I haven't paid enough attention to that part of the draft to know who that would be. But yeah, PATFO considered Lonnie to be a top-10 talent when they tried to trade for him. If they think an even greater talent is there at 4, and they decide to trade DeRozan, why would White and Poeltl stop you?

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Oh, and only fucking idiots can't see that White is the significantly better player. :lol

They are just arguing to argue. Lol. Its plain as daytime White is better than Murray at this time.

Just like you posted above about DeRozan, he isn't a superstar but the guy is a really good NBA player. What he does on the court isn't easily replaceable. Is he flawed? hell yeah but he is far from a scrub and unless the team is totally rebuilding or trading him for a young player who can solidly get their own shot and get clean shots for others on the team, he is a keeper.

FkLA
05-18-2019, 06:43 PM
But yeah, PATFO considered Lonnie to be a top-10 talent when they tried to trade for him.

Link? Not saying you are lying, just interested in reading it.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:46 PM
Link? Not saying you are lying, just interested in reading it.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/21/lonnie-walker-nba-draft-trade-rumors-clippers/

This one mentions 11, but I believe I saw one talking about the eight-overall pick too.

Another report of 11 from PtR:

After the draft, Spurs’ GM R.C. Buford talked about how they had explored the possibility of trading up to 11th to draft Walker IV since they did not expect him to still be on the board at 18. In the end, injury concerns caused Walker IV the drop slightly and the Spurs were able to draft him without having to give anything up. It seems as though PATFO truly got their guy.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/5/11/18563259/2018-2019-spurs-player-reviews-lonnie-walker-iv

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 06:47 PM
This is like the 100th time I've stated this on here but Lonnie Walker out of all our young players is the only one who has potential to be a star. The only thing holding him back (and it's a big thing if true) is how attentive he is to the coaching staff. If he soaks up the game film and player development info the staff gives him like Kawhi did he is going to be really good.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Literally that.

Oh, for the #4 pick in the draft? Didn't understand originally.

Who would you take there?

FkLA
05-18-2019, 06:57 PM
https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/21/lonnie-walker-nba-draft-trade-rumors-clippers/

This one mentions 11, but I believe I saw one talking about the eight-overall pick too.

Another report of 11 from PtR:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/5/11/18563259/2018-2019-spurs-player-reviews-lonnie-walker-iv

Good stuff. :tu

Makes you wonder why they never gave him a shot if they were really so high on him though. Nephew was starting by mid-season his rookie year.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Oh, for the #4 pick in the draft? Didn't understand originally.

Yeah. Lots of Lakers and Knicks fans are itching to ditch their pick to the extent that even DeRozan seems like a good target. If it makes this board feel better. Most of the folks in that RGM thread thought DMDR and Poeltl were good enough and that adding White was too much.

picnroll
05-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Some talk like White is some kind of maybe slightly above average at mist athlete. White is a high level athlete with a high level feel for the game, a rare combination and one not easily replicated even at a number four in a not great draft.

Lest we forget.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ralphiereport.com/platform/amp/buffaloes-basketball/2017/5/18/15648530/derrick-white-impresses-2017-nba-draft-combine-colorado-buffaloes-basketball

Genovaswitness
05-18-2019, 06:59 PM
whites got that scared cuck mentality. he can fuck off

Chinook
05-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Good stuff. :tu

Makes you wonder why they never gave him a shot if they were really so high on him though. Nephew was starting by mid-season his rookie year.

I think Walker would have been in the rotation had he not gotten hurt again. When he came back, there just wasn't a spot with White, Forbes and Beli playing well. I'd honestly love for Lonnie to shoot well enough to where he can start with whomever wins the White/Murray competition. He already seems to have flipped the switch, so now there's little upside to not playing him. Hopefully, he shows out in Utah and Vegas to hammer the point home of PATFO.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 07:12 PM
I think Walker would have been in the rotation had he not gotten hurt again. When he came back, there just wasn't a spot with White, Forbes and Beli playing well. I'd honestly love for Lonnie to shoot well enough to where he can start with whomever wins the White/Murray competition. He already seems to have flipped the switch, so now there's little upside to not playing him. Hopefully, he shows out in Utah and Vegas to hammer the point home of PATFO.

I agree if Walker wouldn't have gotten hurt he most likely would have gotten run this season.

If Lonnie doesn't do really well in Summer League I will be highly disappointed and worried he might not get the mental aspect of the pro game

Dennis the Menace
05-18-2019, 07:15 PM
I agree if Walker wouldn't have gotten hurt he most likely would have gotten run this season.

If Lonnie doesn't do really well in Summer League I will be highly disappointed and worried he might not get the mental aspect of the pro game

Lonnie is electric. His offensive game is so much more advanced at this stage than Leonard’s or Murray’s was. Don’t get your panties in a wad. He’s gonna be fine

FkLA
05-18-2019, 07:18 PM

Extremely stupid on PATFO's part if true. You don't sacrifice one year of development of a guy you consider a Top 10 talent just to keep low level/low ceiling guys like Forbes, Belli, and Wombat happy. Especially since there were no title aspirations this year--nothing to lose by throwing the 19 year old out there.

Chinook
05-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Extremely stupid on PATFO's part if true. You don't sacrifice one year of development of a guy you consider a Top 10 talent just to keep low level/low ceiling guys like Forbes, Belli, and Wombat happy. Especially since there were no title aspirations this year--nothing to lose by throwing the 19 year old out there.

It's not that. Lonnie NEEDED legit d-league work to get up to speed and learn the offense. I believe in his ceiling as much as anyone here, but he wasn't ready and didn't really get ready until March or April. Had he not gotten hurt but White still did, I think Lonnie might have been a wire-to-wire starter this year. But there wasn't upside to keeping him with the big club when he wasn't going to get the minutes and touches he needed. But he got hurt and missed the first two months. Then he had to go his half-season or so of floundering in Austin before the lights turned on. He started off pretty poorly in the d-league. Now, hopefully he dominates the summer league and carries that momentum going forward. Even if he doesn't do that, Murray is a precedent of a guy not playing well in July and still showing up in October.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Lonnie is electric. His offensive game is so much more advanced at this stage than Leonard’s or Murray’s was. Don’t get your panties in a wad. He’s gonna be fine

I said earlier In this thread that I think Walker has a chance to be a star and he is the best prospect we have on the roster at this point. His offensive game is already better than Murray's unless Dejounte has seriously gotten better.

I remember from past experiences that usually our solid to good players play really well in Summer League so if he didn't play well it would kind of make me worry a bit. Not complete panic but a tad bit worried

Immortal Spur
05-18-2019, 07:46 PM
you are clearly emotional about this... You overrate White and underrate Murray. Murray is a very good player and does have a higher ceiling. There's not much White can do to further his ceiling than just be more consistent. Imo he's closer to a realization while with Murray who knows how high it goes. Everyone knows you hate Murray but dude you got to get with the times... kids use social media. He's savvy in growing his brand imo. I don't like it but I respect it. He's a young business man and it's not like he's doing nothing. He's showing progress every year. The year he comes in trash, or out of shape, or with nothing new to his game I'll agree but for now you just come off as a hater.

slick'81
05-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Cant we just be happy we actually have some decent young talent-white,walker,poodle,murray on the squad!?

FkLA
05-18-2019, 08:09 PM
It's not that. Lonnie NEEDED legit d-league work to get up to speed and learn the offense. I believe in his ceiling as much as anyone here, but he wasn't ready and didn't really get ready until March or April. Had he not gotten hurt but White still did, I think Lonnie might have been a wire-to-wire starter this year. But there wasn't upside to keeping him with the big club when he wasn't going to get the minutes and touches he needed. But he got hurt and missed the first two months. Then he had to go his half-season or so of floundering in Austin before the lights turned on. He started off pretty poorly in the d-league. Now, hopefully he dominates the summer league and carries that momentum going forward. Even if he doesn't do that, Murray is a precedent of a guy not playing well in July and still showing up in October.

Oh ok, I see.

I didn't follow him as closely in Austin as some of you guys, but after watching just a couple of his games on the youtubes I'm left thinking not only should this dude be in the rotation but he should be the starting 2 next season. A+ level athlete, can get his own shot with relative ease, weapon in transition, and his three point shot doesn't look bad at all. White-Walker in the backcourt and instagram baller can GTFO, tbh.

you are clearly emotional about this... You overrate White and underrate Murray. Murray is a very good player and does have a higher ceiling. There's not much White can do to further his ceiling than just be more consistent. Imo he's closer to a realization while with Murray who knows how high it goes. Everyone knows you hate Murray but dude you got to get with the times... kids use social media. He's savvy in growing his brand imo. I don't like it but I respect it. He's a young business man and it's not like he's doing nothing. He's showing progress every year. The year he comes in trash, or out of shape, or with nothing new to his game I'll agree but for now you just come off as a hater.

Have you seen his grammar and how he types? Did you miss when he mixed up focal point with "vocal point"? He's not some savvy businessman that knows what he's doing, he's just an attention whore.

I hope he proves me wrong but it's going to take a lot more than a couple "i work out" instagram posts for me to believe his hype after the shit he pulled in Summer League a couple years ago. Tooting his own horn, even had the staff calling it his time and his team only to get outshined by Forbes and have the team rest him to avoid further embarrassment.

As it stands, White is a better shooter, finisher, distributor, playmaker, floor general, defender. There is no comparison. It can become a comparison when instagram baller gets anywhere close to the ceiling some of you guys think he is guaranteed to reach.

Immortal Spur
05-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Have you seen his grammar and how he types? Did you miss when he mixed up focal point with "vocal point"? He's not some savvy businessman that knows what he's doing, he's just an attention whore.

I hope he proves me wrong but it's going to take a lot more than a couple "i work out" instagram posts for me to believe his hype after the shit he pulled in Summer League a couple years ago. Tooting his own horn, even had the staff calling it his time and his team only to get outshined by Forbes and have the team rest him to avoid further embarrassment.

As it stands, White is a better shooter, finisher, distributor, playmaker, floor general, defender. There is no comparison. It can become a comparison when instagram baller gets anywhere close to the ceiling some of you guys think he is guaranteed to reach.
you sound very judgmental of him.. who cares if he misspelled words wrong... i'm sure you've done it time to time. that's no basis to make a judgment. You just think he's attention whoring is all when i said that's how kids are nowadays. Do you have socials? you ever talk about your day? It's good for networking and building relationships. I have somewhat of a personal business so I can attest or understand where he's coming from and why he does this. If you don't then you are just ignorant and judging something you don't understand. Of course it's very conservative for you to say those kinds of things but the times are changing. He just sees it as normal.. he grew up in this.. older people like us know a better way... anyways that's a little too deep for this forum...

about the summer league.. he was rumored to be traded that year with Green I believe so maybe he tanked it i dunno... still it was a strange situation all in all. (kyrie irving)

as people have repeatedly said over and over again, white is two years older. Murray has much better tools to work with and you know that. That is a significant reason as to why his ceiling is higher. He has much more to work with. As far as defender, i highly doubt that. With White you get a much more finished product. wasn't he a senior or junior coming out... Murray came out as a freshman. I'm gonna wait till i see this next year with them both before i reserve judgement. i think you dislike him as a person more than you dislike him as a player and that may be why you judgement is so cloudy on this one.

Babyboy
05-18-2019, 09:39 PM
if the injury dosent hamper him I can see him having a DPOY type year tbh

FkLA
05-18-2019, 09:42 PM
you sound very judgmental of him.. who cares if he misspelled words wrong... i'm sure you've done it time to time. that's no basis to make a judgment. You just think he's attention whoring is all when i said that's how kids are nowadays. Do you have socials? you ever talk about your day? It's good for networking and building relationships. I have somewhat of a personal business so I can attest or understand where he's coming from and why he does this. If you don't then you are just ignorant and judging something you don't understand. Of course it's very conservative for you to say those kinds of things but the times are changing. He just sees it as normal.. he grew up in this.. older people like us know a better way... anyways that's a little too deep for this forum...

I don't give a shit about his grammar (although it probably doesn't bode well for bball iq), I only brought it up when you tried to suggest he's just being clever "marketing" himself. My response was that he doesn't strike me as a clever guy, and that's it's more likely that he's just an attention whore.

As far as the age thing goes, why doesn't White love telling the world to look at how hard he works out? Does Lonnie do it? Bryn?They're the same generation.

about the summer league.. he was rumored to be traded that year with Green I believe so maybe he tanked it i dunno... still it was a strange situation all in all. (kyrie irving)

Excuses. That was never even close to happening.

His mouth just wrote checks that his play couldn't cash.

as people have repeatedly said over and over again, white is two years older. Murray has much better tools to work with and you know that. That is a significant reason as to why his ceiling is higher. He has much more to work with. As far as defender, i highly doubt that. With White you get a much more finished product. wasn't he a senior or junior coming out... Murray came out as a freshman. I'm gonna wait till i see this next year with them both before i reserve judgement. i think you dislike him as a person more than you dislike him as a player and that may be why you judgement is so cloudy on this one.

He has more length. That's it. We're not talking about some freak of nature here. There's no other physical aspect that White isn't on par with/better than instagram baller. Plus, White's advantage in the brain department far outweighs whatever advantage instagram baller has in the physical department.

FkLA
05-18-2019, 09:44 PM
if the injury dosent hamper him I can see him having a DPOY type year tbh

https://media2.giphy.com/media/29HRejgahYenVsohB5/giphy.gif

Babyboy
05-18-2019, 09:46 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/29HRejgahYenVsohB5/giphy.gif
I mean he is the youngest on an all defensive team, keep sleeping though

FkLA
05-18-2019, 09:49 PM
I mean he is the youngest on an all defensive team, keep sleeping though

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgileThisAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

timvp
05-18-2019, 09:58 PM
I don't give a shit about his grammar (although it probably doesn't bode well for bball iq), I only brought it up when you tried to suggest he's just being clever "marketing" himself. My response was that he doesn't strike me as a clever guy, and that's it's more likely that he's just an attention whore.

Easy there, grampa. Ion know about you but I'd hesitate before adding his social media grammar into his basketball scouting report, tbh.

Babyboy
05-18-2019, 10:01 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgileThisAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif
he'll also be the best rebounding guard but let me sip my tea (Westbrook dosent count, his whole team boxes out for him)

FkLA
05-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Easy there, grampa. Ion know about you but I'd hesitate before adding his social media grammar into his basketball scouting report, tbh.

Pretty sure there's a correlation between intelligence and bball iq, tbh.

he'll also be the best rebounding guard but let me sip my tea (Westbrook dosent count, his whole team boxes out for him)

https://media3.giphy.com/media/fjXSwNcLyADjG/giphy.gif

timvp
05-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Pretty sure there's a correlation between intelligence and bball iq, tbh.

Don't think there is, tbh. Matt Bonner is a smart guy (Academic All-American of the Year at Florida, in fact) but his basketball IQ was pathetic. Even when he was old and had been in the system forever, he made rookie mistakes.

Robert Horry, on the other hand, had a genius level basketball IQ and you don't hear about many Rhode Scholars coming out of the state of Alabama, tbh.

FkLA
05-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Don't think there is, tbh. Matt Bonner is a smart guy (Academic All-American of the Year at Florida, in fact) but his basketball IQ was pathetic. Even when he was old and had been in the system forever, he made rookie mistakes.

Robert Horry, on the other hand, had a genius level basketball IQ and you don't hear about many Rhode Scholars coming out of the state of Alabama, tbh.

There's anomalies but in general I'd put my money on an intelligent guy. There's plenty of examples of idiots with low bball IQs (JR Smith, Swaggy P, Michael Beasley, DRose, Steve Francis, etc).

timvp
05-18-2019, 10:53 PM
There's anomalies but in general I'd put my money on an intelligent guy.

Meh, I've just never noticed much of a correlation, tbh. David Robinson, Manu Ginobili, Malik Rose (double major at Drexel) are all smart guys but I wouldn't say any of the three had notable basketball IQs -- and I say that as a big fan of all three players. You can find exceptions on either end of the spectrum but I don't think real IQ correlates to basketball IQ, IMO.

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2019, 10:58 PM
instagram faggot at it again

Pavlov
05-18-2019, 11:05 PM
You old farts need to take your Geritol and call it a night.

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2019, 11:23 PM

lol tell that to jkidd or westbrook who crash the boards to pad empty stats

dj is no different to those clowns who crash the boards as a pg, its nothing special, but its better then nothing...

every time this clown opens his mouth, something is looming like an injury, fck this clown anyway

tholdren
05-19-2019, 07:58 AM
You old farts need to take your Geritol and call it a night.

Todays nba is so bad you can instagram post your way to the lottery with less skill than a high school starter. See lonzo ball.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Todays nba is so bad you can instagram post your way to the lottery with less skill than a high school starter. See lonzo ball.Meh, you old farts know there have been overhyped draft busts for decades. Why spend what's left of your life using social media to bitch about using social media?

pad300
05-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Meh, I've just never noticed much of a correlation, tbh. David Robinson, Manu Ginobili, Malik Rose (double major at Drexel) are all smart guys but I wouldn't say any of the three had notable basketball IQs -- and I say that as a big fan of all three players. You can find exceptions on either end of the spectrum but I don't think real IQ correlates to basketball IQ, IMO.

MANU ?!?!

Burn the heretic!

Seriously, what do you want to call his ability to see passes/plays that no one else on the court does?

picnroll
05-19-2019, 08:59 AM
MANU ?!?!

Burn the heretic!

Seriously, what do you want to call his ability to see passes/plays that no one else on the court does?
I’ll go with Robinson and Rose but agree on no way with Manu. Manu was like Picasso, if you’re expecting the eyes and nose to be in the right place he was a stoned fool, but if you valued creativity and a different perspective on the reality of basketball Manu was a genius.

tmtcsc
05-19-2019, 09:30 AM
What did he say?

picnroll
05-19-2019, 09:40 AM
What did he say?
Maybe this will work. Manu had a very high basketball iq but applied it in a very unconventional way.

tmtcsc
05-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Murray hasn't proven anything other than he can rebound, yet he constantly talks a bunch of shit about greatness. Get that word out your mouth and concentrate on being a good point guard, how 'bout that?

Dverde
05-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Maybe this will work. Manu had a very high basketball iq but applied it in a very unconventional way.

Like fouling a layup when you’re down three. Or leaving Ray Allen, the best opposing shooter, to try to rebound over Chris Bosh when down three points.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
05-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Cant we just be happy we actually have some decent young talent-white,walker,poodle,murray on the squad!?I haven't seen squat out of Walker.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Walker is adjusting to the halfcourt defenses in the pros. He can't successfully complete iso plays the way he did in college, even in the G-League. Hopefully he develops a decent floater to make up for some of the layups and dunks that are no longer available to him. He already looks pretty good shooting jumpers off picks around the arc.

ZeusWillJudge
05-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Walker is adjusting to the halfcourt defenses in the pros. He can't successfully complete iso plays the way he did in college, even in the G-League. Hopefully he develops a decent floater to make up for some of the layups and dunks that are no longer available to him. He already looks pretty good shooting jumpers off picks around the arc.

So what's keeping him from getting to the rim? Handles, first step, recognition? Or is it just that NBA defenders (even G-League) are that much quicker?

Hopefully if he develops a solid floater it will start freezing defenders and get him to the rim more often.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 12:20 PM
So what's keeping him from getting to the rim? Handles, first step, recognition? Or is it just that NBA defenders (even G-League) are that much quicker?I'd say mostly the defenders and defenses are much better in the pros.

Hopefully if he develops a solid floater it will start freezing defenders and get him to the rim more often.Yep, a little too predictable when I've seen him.

DPG21920
05-19-2019, 12:22 PM
There is nothing keeping Lonnie from getting to the rim physically. He has more than a good enough handle. He clearly has the strength and ability to rise and finish. It’s just learning angles and getting a better feel for the game and when to go as the gaps close faster and most everyone is long and athletic.

But I am very confident he will get there.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Me too; the stuff he can already do is impressive enough.

acoelho1
05-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Um... Pop's already said White will play an important role too. I honestly believe Pop's gonna try to start both with DeRozan, Aldridge and Poeltl. I just don't think it'll work, and since White is easily the best range shooter of the bunch, moving him out makes zero sense.

I didn't say to move White to the bench and I just can't see Murray given his makeup to revert back to the bench without considerable protest. It just won't happen and given that the Spurs brass feel that Murray will be a star, it's even less likely. It's either Murray starts or is traded. There are no other options and I'll bet the farm on it.

Also, White's a much better on-court leader than Murray. DJM is great off the court (media/politics), but he's not a floor-general in the same vein as White. Derrick runs a very good pick-and-roll, has arguably the best court vision on the roster and has a feel for the game far beyond his years. In terms of toughness, it doesn't make any sense to believe there's a big difference there. They're comparable playoff performers based on impact stats, and White spent the year as the "designated perimeter defender", which Murray didn't have to do. White held his own against PGs, SGs and SFs. Without getting into his actual effectiveness as a one-on-one defender, Murray almost exclusively guarded players he was bigger than.

This is where we will continue to disagree. Murray showed considerable more toughness than White who virtually disappeared after his 1 breakout game against Denver. His mental approach is too fragile and at least so far seems to lack that killer instinct which Murray has shown in my view. Furthermore, I still think Murray is the better defender between the 2, which he had an historic season on that side of the ball in the 2017 season. His jumper will be greatly improved as well next year so I fully expect him to be starting with or without Derrick.

timvp
05-19-2019, 01:50 PM
MANU ?!?!

Burn the heretic!

I’ll go with Robinson and Rose but agree on no way with Manu. Manu was like Picasso, if you’re expecting the eyes and nose to be in the right place he was a stoned fool, but if you valued creativity and a different perspective on the reality of basketball Manu was a genius.

Manu's greatness was due to his instincts and I think there's a difference between basketball IQ and instincts. The way he played was 100% instinctual, creativity and heart.

A high basketball IQ player doesn't foul Dirk on a dunk when you're up three points or commit more than a handful of similar turnovers in Game 6. But Manu didn't always do what was technically the right play, he based his decisions off of instincts ... and that's what ultimately made him great. Sure, he made a lot of mistakes in his career but more than made up for it. Early in his career, Pop tried to force Manu to player "smarter" but thankfully Manu told Pop he wasn't going to play that way -- he was just going to "do what I do." That turned out to be a franchise altering decision, tbh.

FkLA
05-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Manu's greatness was due to his instincts and I think there's a difference between basketball IQ and instincts. The way he played was 100% instinctual, creativity and heart.

A high basketball IQ player doesn't foul Dirk on a dunk when you're up three points or commit more than a handful of similar turnovers in Game 6. But Manu didn't always do what was technically the right play, he based his decisions off of instincts ... and that's what ultimately made him great. Sure, he made a lot of mistakes in his career but more than made up for it. Early in his career, Pop tried to force Manu to player "smarter" but thankfully Manu told Pop he wasn't going to play that way -- he was just going to "do what I do." That turned out to be a franchise altering decision, tbh.

The great Emmanuel David Ginobili was a basketball genius. Creativity is part of basketball IQ. Being able to see/attempt some of the plays he did, being such a master of the pick and roll, having arguably the best courtvision of any SG ever, being tasked with being the closer of a dynasty for a decade+, being able to play and be effective into his 40s--that's all cerebral. Sure, his competitive nature got the best of him sometimes but the man was still a genius.

Murray hasn't proven anything other than he can rebound, yet he constantly talks a bunch of shit about greatness. Get that word out your mouth and concentrate on being a good point guard, how 'bout that?

:tu

timtonymanu
05-19-2019, 02:45 PM

:lol pot calling the kettle black.

"derrick sucks. don't prop him up yet. :cry"

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-19-2019, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen squat out of Walker.

That's because he has barely played in actual NBA games. Lol.

The guy has a good looking shot, NBA caliber athleticism, decent handle, and actual size to play the 2 in the NBA. He has shown some flashes here and there when given spot minutes

tmtcsc
05-19-2019, 03:13 PM
thankfully Manu told Pop he wasn't going to play that way -- he was just going to "do what I do." That turned out to be a franchise altering decision, tbh.

Thank goodness he didn't F*ck that up. Pop's biggest fault is his stubbornness. Manu was a WINNER and I agree 100% on the mistakes he made. I forgave him for his mistakes because he played to win. He did his best to make the best play and wasn't a selfish player. He made the right pass to Horry for the 3 in Game 5 against the Pistons. Made great passes to SJax in his rookie season for open 3's against the Nets too.

tmtcsc
05-19-2019, 03:16 PM

He's a complete unknown as far as I'm concerned. He's got athletic ability but hasn't shown he can stay healthy. He's so raw, he could turn out to be a James White at this point. I could care less about his scoring, I want to see him play tenacious D. That's what this team sorely lacks.

timvp
05-19-2019, 03:21 PM
The great Emmanuel David Ginobili was a basketball genius. Creativity is part of basketball IQ. Being able to see/attempt some of the plays he did, being such a master of the pick and roll, having arguably the best courtvision of any SG ever, being tasked with being the closer of a dynasty for a decade+, being able to play and be effective into his 40s--that's all cerebral. Sure, his competitive nature got the best of him sometimes but the man was still a genius.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to change your mind about Him but part of what Manu Manu is that he didn't always make the "right" play. Basketball IQ, IMO, is about processing things quickly and understanding the right play. Instincts/creativity is a separate category ... and pretty much has to be because it really isn't predicated on making the "right" play.

DAF86
05-19-2019, 03:28 PM
By just hearing Manu talk one can realize he has, not only basketball related, but high IQ everything, tbh.

DAF86
05-19-2019, 03:39 PM
antXQAoYckI

I mean, that isn't instinct, tbh. That's just some smart ass shit, tbh.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 04:02 PM
I didn't say to move White to the bench and I just can't see Murray given his makeup to revert back to the bench without considerable protest. It just won't happen and given that the Spurs brass feel that Murray will be a star, it's even less likely. It's either Murray starts or is traded. There are no other options and I'll bet the farm on it.

I trust PATFO's ability to bring in players who will work for them. And I'd love for Murray's play to match his attitude. But I don't think "Pop thinks Murray will be a star" is going to mean DJM will be force fed minutes. I think only a couple of people here would be upset by Murray getting put on a pedestal if he earns it. I think Pop will start off with the intention for Murray and White to play starring roles. But if one or the other doesn't back up his confidence, he will bench them. Remember, Pop benched Murray in 2017-2018 when he wasn't playing well enough to hold onto the spot. I don't think he'd be against doing it again, especially because the alternative might be a White who should be much better than 2017 Parker or a Walker who has the highest ceiling on the team.

I'd love for Murray to break out into stardom. But coming off an injury and with the rest of the roster construction, I can't see that being a guarantee.

This is where we will continue to disagree. Murray showed considerable more toughness than White who virtually disappeared after his 1 breakout game against Denver. His mental approach is too fragile and at least so far seems to lack that killer instinct which Murray has shown in my view. Furthermore, I still think Murray is the better defender between the 2, which he had an historic season on that side of the ball in the 2017 season. His jumper will be greatly improved as well next year so I fully expect him to be starting with or without Derrick.

Derrick really didn't play that poorly in Games 4-6. He averaged 11 and 3 in those games. That's better than Murray's entire GS series in 2018. Game 7 was certainly awful, but I think the first six games showed a consistently good level of play affected mostly by the increased attention Denver paid to him after Game 3. I really don't think it's fair at all to praise Murray's "killer instinct" when White actually won a game for his club while the best DJM did was 12 points against GS. That's not to rag too hard on Murray. You shouldn't expect young players to come in and give star-level impacts their first real series out. Just think you should afford White the same understanding.

Anyway, you know we have different views on the defense. I think it's up to whether the true mark of a defender is his one-on-one ability or his group ability. But it's just a fact that Murray did not follow the other team's best perimeter player up and down the floor each possession like White did. Pop didn't put DJM in a ton of obvious size mismatches for him to have to battle his way through. White was "tough" enough to guard Kawhi Leonard and get the best of him. I don't think Murray has a signature "grit" game to his name. Not saying that as an insult. Just honestly don't remember one.

picnroll
05-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Obviously I'm not going to be able to change your mind about Him but part of what Manu Manu is that he didn't always make the "right" play. Basketball IQ, IMO, is about processing things quickly and understanding the right play. Instincts/creativity is a separate category ... and pretty much has to be because it really isn't predicated on making the "right" play.

http://https://www.livescience.com/16429-genius-greatest-minds-jobs-einstein-hawking.html (http://www.livescience.com/16429-genius-greatest-minds-jobs-einstein-hawking.html)

They are missing Manu and Beethoven

timvp
05-19-2019, 04:44 PM
antXQAoYckI

I mean, that isn't instinct, tbh. That's just some smart ass shit, tbh.

Your evidence of his basketball IQ is two flops, tbh? :lol

You must think James Harden is the smartest organism in the history or future of all the universes that have and/or will ever exist.

ZeusWillJudge
05-19-2019, 05:17 PM

You must think James Harden is the smartest organism in the history or future of all the universes that have and/or will ever exist.

LOL. You call those flops? That's just Manu being Manu. I get your point about Harden, but I remember when Manu got so far into George Karl's kitchen that he was complaining about Manu's hair. He said that when Manu threw his head back while flopping, the long hair would fly and the refs would blow a whistle. I don't know if that's IQ or instinct, but it was definitely basketball genius. When the opposition is that focused on one player's hair, they're already beat.

I used to love to watch him put spin on a bounce pass so that he could get the ball past a defender, and then skip left or right to hit his man in stride. Maybe other players could do that, but doing it on the fly in game conditions? You couldn't think about doing it - it has to be had wired. Or when he saw an open passing lane for an easy score, but the only way to get it past the defender was to throw it like a MLB fastball, so he wouldn't have time to react?

He had basketball IQ, but he also had an instinct for the game like nobody else I've ever seen play the game. And I appreciate him being a winner, but he also made the game damn fun to watch.

K...
05-19-2019, 05:38 PM
intelligence is like "team is doing this, i should do this" "time is X, so execute set play" etc etc

Instinct is like reaction time. Gino is great at seeing, but not a great leader. He rans plays, but mainly for himself as the main actor. Duncan on the other hand, was a QB like player on offense and defense.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Manu made some of the dumbest plays ever because he didn't think through the consequences of his actions. I can get behind the idea that he didn't have a traditional mind for the game like Tim did. But I don't think it helps to narrow the definition of "BBIQ" that much.

DAF86
05-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Yeah, the way Harden exploits the NBA rules to force refs to make calls in his favour is pretty damn brilliant, tbh.

Also, lol at arguing that sequence by Manu wasn't smart. You are just being a contrarian for the sake of it, tbh. :lol

Play Boban
05-19-2019, 11:15 PM
From what little I’ve seen of him, he’s looked scrubby. I hope he impresses next year, but I’m not holding my breath. But at least he’ll continue to peddle his Flat Earth BS.

slick'81
05-19-2019, 11:21 PM

Bbb but everybody said spurs were willing to move up to 10 to get the star they coveted .He has to b special

Chinook
05-19-2019, 11:35 PM
Bbb but everybody said spurs were willing to move up to 10 to get the star they coveted .He has to b special

We didn't hear anything about them trying to move up for Murray or White. If we're giving points for Pop believing in a guy, I think Walker takes the cake. Plus, Lonnie's offensive ceiling looks amazing. Dude might end up being the best scoring guard the team has had. It's not just the great shooting form, the pull-up game or the grown-man pull-up game. His athleticism allows him to finish at angles very few can in the league.

slick'81
05-19-2019, 11:37 PM
Sorry chinook! love to troll with ya but you are also blocked:nope

Play Boban
05-19-2019, 11:49 PM
We didn't hear anything about them trying to move up for Murray or White. If we're giving points for Pop believing in a guy, I think Walker takes the cake. Plus, Lonnie's offensive ceiling looks amazing. Dude might end up being the best scoring guard the team has had. It's not just the great shooting form, the pull-up game or the grown-man pull-up game. His athleticism allows him to finish at angles very few can in the league.
Yeah, he looked great shooting 34% from the floor this season.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 11:54 PM

:cry I'm going to block you, but I need to make sure you know about it. :cry

Chinook
05-19-2019, 11:55 PM

He did.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 11:57 PM
:lol what's with the old fart haters of everything related to this team?

palangi
05-20-2019, 12:11 AM
:lol what's with the old fart haters of everything related to this team?

They don't like change

Hoops Czar
05-20-2019, 01:58 AM
Kid loves sa
What else is he gonna say? It's not like he has a choice anytime soon.

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2019, 04:59 AM
I assume Pop will have the young guys compete with each other to earn minutes, so they work harder on their games. He always does that. That friendly competition should make everybody better

RD2191
05-20-2019, 06:03 AM

What kind of faggot blocks chinook? Go fuck yourself, asshole.

cutewizard
05-20-2019, 06:40 AM
I assume Pop will have the young guys compete with each other to earn minutes, so they work harder on their games. He always does that. That friendly competition should make everybody better

acoelho1
05-20-2019, 08:29 AM
I trust PATFO's ability to bring in players who will work for them. And I'd love for Murray's play to match his attitude. But I don't think "Pop thinks Murray will be a star" is going to mean DJM will be force fed minutes. I think only a couple of people here would be upset by Murray getting put on a pedestal if he earns it. I think Pop will start off with the intention for Murray and White to play starring roles. But if one or the other doesn't back up his confidence, he will bench them. Remember, Pop benched Murray in 2017-2018 when he wasn't playing well enough to hold onto the spot. I don't think he'd be against doing it again, especially because the alternative might be a White who should be much better than 2017 Parker or a Walker who has the highest ceiling on the team.

I'd love for Murray to break out into stardom. But coming off an injury and with the rest of the roster construction, I can't see that being a guarantee.

This perception that Murray has some sort of bad attitude or is overly cocky just because he puts himself out there in the social media space is a false narrative. In fact, I think you guys are too accustomed to the way Duncan led the team and Murray brings a different way of doing it, which is not good or bad but different. Also, Star players need to be confident in their abilities and yes, I fully expect Pop to hand over the keys to Murray. That's not to say he has free rein to go against the team's principles but it seems pretty clear from all indication from the Spurs that Murray will be the guy. This belief in Murray stems from his play on the court and his mental toughness. You can't discount the latter because it's a critical element to becoming a star player.

Derrick really didn't play that poorly in Games 4-6. He averaged 11 and 3 in those games. That's better than Murray's entire GS series in 2018. Game 7 was certainly awful, but I think the first six games showed a consistently good level of play affected mostly by the increased attention Denver paid to him after Game 3. I really don't think it's fair at all to praise Murray's "killer instinct" when White actually won a game for his club while the best DJM did was 12 points against GS. That's not to rag too hard on Murray. You shouldn't expect young players to come in and give star-level impacts their first real series out. Just think you should afford White the same understanding.

Are you really comparing playing against the Nuggets vs Warriors? They are completely different animals and what I saw was White shrink under the pressure. For some guys, either you got it or you don't. I knew early on with Murray, just like Leonard, they had this competitiveness that you knew they would become stars. You add the talent and determination, it will become inevitable that he reaches his full potential. Ask yourself this, why is the messaging out of the Spurs is that Murray can be star? They must see something special.. no?

Anyway, you know we have different views on the defense. I think it's up to whether the true mark of a defender is his one-on-one ability or his group ability. But it's just a fact that Murray did not follow the other team's best perimeter player up and down the floor each possession like White did. Pop didn't put DJM in a ton of obvious size mismatches for him to have to battle his way through. White was "tough" enough to guard Kawhi Leonard and get the best of him. I don't think Murray has a signature "grit" game to his name. Not saying that as an insult. Just honestly don't remember one.

I saw him give Kyrie Irving and Westbrook hell on that side of the ball. Nevertheless, look at his on/off numbers on defense in 2017, the Spurs were astronomically better with him on the floor. Also, 1on1 defense is great but the most important aspect to any defense is rebounding the ball, which Murray excels. Every defensive metric shows Murray as elite so you can deny the numbers if you want but the guy made all defensive team in his 2nd year and his younger and less developed than White.

Also, arguing between the 2 is fruitless exercise. My only point is that Murray will be starting next year and given the keys by Pop. That is 100% guaranteed and if you don't believe so, then you haven't been watching Murray's play.

KobesAchilles
05-20-2019, 08:51 AM
I just want Murray to become as good a point guard as Avery was before I start saying all star team with him. I’m not knocking Murray who is obviously a superior athlete/defender/rebounder than AJ. But he needs to learn how to become a point guard, dictate the offense, make sure the big dogs eat, dribble penetrate and kick better, finish better in half court and his jumper needs work as well. These are the areas I want him at the AJ level this year. I will worry about All-Star and keys to the team afterwards.

Collins21
05-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Personally I don't understand all the hate for DJ amongst Spurs fans. White had a good year but by all accounts Murray was destined for an even better season. I like both guys and I refuse to bash one to praise the other. In Pop's exit interview he raved and seemed genuinely excited about getting Murray back. You don't talk/feel that way about a bum. Even shit like "Instagram baller" is outrageous but when he has a breakout season this year the same dudes will try to hop on the train.

JeffDuncan
05-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Personally I don't understand all the hate for DJ amongst Spurs fans. ...

That "all" is three dopes who are madly jealous because he gets more attention than they do.

Chinook
05-20-2019, 11:26 AM
This perception that Murray has some sort of bad attitude or is overly cocky just because he puts himself out there in the social media space is a false narrative. In fact, I think you guys are too accustomed to the way Duncan led the team and Murray brings a different way of doing it, which is not good or bad but different. Also, Star players need to be confident in their abilities and yes, I fully expect Pop to hand over the keys to Murray. That's not to say he has free rein to go against the team's principles but it seems pretty clear from all indication from the Spurs that Murray will be the guy. This belief in Murray stems from his play on the court and his mental toughness. You can't discount the latter because it's a critical element to becoming a star player.

I said nothing about Murray having a "bad attitude". I've done nothing but praise Murray's behavior. The point I was making that if he acts like a star and also plays like a star, it will be amazing for the team.

Are you really comparing playing against the Nuggets vs Warriors? They are completely different animals and what I saw was White shrink under the pressure. For some guys, either you got it or you don't. I knew early on with Murray, just like Leonard, they had this competitiveness that you knew they would become stars. You add the talent and determination, it will become inevitable that he reaches his full potential.

Murray only scored in double-digits once against the Warriors in their five-game series last year. White scored did it five times in seven games against Denver. I also think White was much way more pressure than Murray, because everyone knew SA was going to lose to GS whereas the Denver series as legitimately up for grabs. DJM seriously had games where he scored four and six points in that series.

Ask yourself this, why is the messaging out of the Spurs is that Murray can be star? They must see something special.. no?

I feel like you're starting to rely on this point way too much. Again, Pop benched Murray last year despite whatever he said about star potential. The Spurs seem to really like all three of their young guards, and Pop and RC have gone out of their way to praise each at times. You're using a quote that Pop said when Walker was injured and White hadn't broken out. Does he feel the same way? Maybe, but my guess is he thinks it's way more complicated now

I saw him give Kyrie Irving and Westbrook hell on that side of the ball. Nevertheless, look at his on/off numbers on defense in 2017, the Spurs were astronomically better with him on the floor. Also, 1on1 defense is great but the most important aspect to any defense is rebounding the ball, which Murray excels. Every defensive metric shows Murray as elite so you can deny the numbers if you want but the guy made all defensive team in his 2nd year and his younger and less developed than White.

Not every metric shows Murray's elite. Only impact stats (on/offs, plus-minuses) do. His actual man-defense stats were poor. We've been over this. Murray wasn't actually that good at stopping guys when they went at him. He had a good game against Irving, but that was because DJM scored well on him. Kyrie actually had a fine offensive game. It wasn't like his game against White this year. I did end up looking up that season. Murray's best one-on-one defensive game was probably early against Toronto when he held Lowry down, though Lowry was actually awful for the whole first tenth of the season. He started having really awful defensive games like against Miami a few days later when Dragic ran DJM off the court. Later that month, Irving (with Boston) also had a really good game against Murray. In general, the Spurs weren't as successful of a team with Murray starting rather than Parker or even Mills. I would expect that to change with DeJounte having grown. But I also think it's misleading to act like the Spurs were non-controversially better with Murray on the court. They weren't.

Also, arguing between the 2 is fruitless exercise. My only point is that Murray will be starting next year and given the keys by Pop. That is 100% guaranteed and if you don't believe so, then you haven't been watching Murray's play.

I get your only point. That's what this whole conversation has been about. I don't believe it's guaranteed that Murray stays the starter once Pop starts making adjustments. I don't believe Pop's as married to Murray over White, Walker and DeRozan as you argue. I know Pop "gave the keys" to him last year, but that was in a pre-DeRozan era where the club had no perimeter focal point. Now that they have one, I'm not sure Pop will be as bullish. The club simply can't afford to let their offense slip too much from where it got this year, and it's very likely to if they start so many non-shooters.

acoelho1
05-20-2019, 01:33 PM
I get your only point. That's what this whole conversation has been about. I don't believe it's guaranteed that Murray stays the starter once Pop starts making adjustments. I don't believe Pop's as married to Murray over White, Walker and DeRozan as you argue. I know Pop "gave the keys" to him last year, but that was in a pre-DeRozan era where the club had no perimeter focal point. Now that they have one, I'm not sure Pop will be as bullish. The club simply can't afford to let their offense slip too much from where it got this year, and it's very likely to if they start so many non-shooters.

I'll reiterate my earlier point. Murray won't except coming off the bench in favor of White and nor should he because he's the better player in my view. I feel almost certain that is the Spurs position today. I think the Spurs strategy will be to have White play the Manu role and have internal improvement from Murray & DeRozan in terms of their shooting. Expect LMA to jack up more 3's and I anticipate Walker to overtake Forbes for the starting 2 spot or at least get considerable more minutes at guard or foward. I'm very bullish on Walker. The guy has dynamic athleticism and a picture perfect jump shot.

Also, you keep bringing up the benching piece but as I notated, these are different times. We don't have a future HOF in the stables so a greater emphasis on the young players is required, which means a longer leash will be given.

tbdog
05-20-2019, 02:14 PM

In two seasons time, I expect Lonnie, unless he takes further injuries, to be at the level Donovan Mitchell was in his rookie year. His game is very similar, and Lonnie is bigger.

tbdog
05-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Personally I don't understand all the hate for DJ amongst Spurs fans. White had a good year but by all accounts Murray was destined for an even better season. I like both guys and I refuse to bash one to praise the other. In Pop's exit interview he raved and seemed genuinely excited about getting Murray back. You don't talk/feel that way about a bum. Even shit like "Instagram baller" is outrageous but when he has a breakout season this year the same dudes will try to hop on the train.

I think Spurs fans forgot. This place was buzzing before his injury. He was hitting those midrange shots. There are a lot of players that you put in 'if only he learns to shoot' pile. If Murray leaves that pile, he isn't just a playoff rotational player. He becomes a borderline all-star.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-20-2019, 02:21 PM
1st and foremost I think it's kinda lame to bash the kid for posting a little bit of stuff on his social media accounts. Times have changed and this is one of the things (eventhough I don't really fuck with it too much) young people do. He doesnt get into trouble and seems to really like the game and not just the things the game can get or do for him. I don't blame people for playing just because they are tall but it's always nice to get a player who truly loves what they do and wants to get better.

It's going to be funny/sad if Murray doesn't improve to at least the level White played this season because he hasn't even played to that level yet. If Murray doesn't at least get to Derrick's real 1st season level it's going to be a lot of folks on here copping pleas and lying about their predictions on his upcoming seasons progression. Lmao

Either way I really hope both guys continue to get better and at least become good role players on a winning team. I have no axe to grind with either of the players but in my honest assessment White is the better player as of now.

Play Boban
05-20-2019, 05:22 PM
In two seasons time, I expect Lonnie, unless he takes further injuries, to be at the level Donovan Mitchell was in his rookie year. His game is very similar, and Lonnie is bigger.
In two seasons time, I expect him to be on Alex Jones’ radio show peddling moon landing conspiracy theories and discussing how chemtrails caused him to fail to make it in the NBA tbh.

tholdren
05-20-2019, 06:41 PM
Manu made some of the dumbest plays ever because he didn't think through the consequences of his actions. I can get behind the idea that he didn't have a traditional mind for the game like Tim did. But I don't think it helps to narrow the definition of "BBIQ" that much.

Lol

cd98
05-21-2019, 09:21 AM
I'll reiterate my earlier point. Murray won't except coming off the bench in favor of White and nor should he because he's the better player in my view. I feel almost certain that is the Spurs position today. I think the Spurs strategy will be to have White play the Manu role and have internal improvement from Murray & DeRozan in terms of their shooting. Expect LMA to jack up more 3's and I anticipate Walker to overtake Forbes for the starting 2 spot or at least get considerable more minutes at guard or foward. I'm very bullish on Walker. The guy has dynamic athleticism and a picture perfect jump shot.

Also, you keep bringing up the benching piece but as I notated, these are different times. We don't have a future HOF in the stables so a greater emphasis on the young players is required, which means a longer leash will be given.

If Murray starts over White, it's because he earns it in training camp. Pop isn't going to just hand Murray a starting job because he thinks he can be a good player. If Murray gets outplayed in training camp, White could easily start. Don't forget, we are in a league where guards really have to score and Murray has not been a good shooter or really even a good scorer. White is definitely better than him at scoring. That said, both Murray and White have the size and athleticism that will allow them to play both guard positions, so it is plausible that both start and DeRozen goes to small forward. In fact, I bet that is the most likely scenario unless Walker advances to the point that he beats both of those guys out.

Dverde
05-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Who thinks he gets extended before the regular season starts?

Chinook
05-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Who thinks he gets extended before the regular season starts?

I don't believe he does, but if I were PATFO, I might see how low Paul is willing to go. I expect Murray to get the max in 2020 if he comes back and plays decently well. So if they could shave off $8-10 Million APY by getting him early, it's a good move. But I also think the team is going to go for cap space next summer, so having Murray at his cap hold would be more helpful than having him locked in would.

Degoat
05-21-2019, 11:08 AM
I don’t think Murray will get the max guys, idk if that’s a joke or not lol I mean he has star potential but he’s gotta show something to even consider offering anything close to the max.

Chinook
05-21-2019, 11:29 AM
I don’t think Murray will get the max guys, idk if that’s a joke or not lol I mean he has star potential but he’s gotta show something to even consider offering anything close to the max.

The first-tier max is handed out pretty liberally nowadays. I'd be elated if he has a good season and signs for anything appreciably less than the full max. It's just a status thing.

timvp
05-21-2019, 03:08 PM
I expect Murray to get the max in 2020 if he comes back and plays decently well.

What do you consider "decently well." He'd have to play better than my definition of "decently well" to get the max.

slick'81
05-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Max money isnt bad for 6 ppg and 2 assists

spurraider21
05-21-2019, 04:57 PM
I don't believe he does, but if I were PATFO, I might see how low Paul is willing to go. I expect Murray to get the max in 2020 if he comes back and plays decently well. So if they could shave off $8-10 Million APY by getting him early, it's a good move. But I also think the team is going to go for cap space next summer, so having Murray at his cap hold would be more helpful than having him locked in would.
wow... i dont see that tbh

rjv
05-21-2019, 06:05 PM
ST is full of old white dudes tbh.

you forgot uneducated.

Chinook
05-22-2019, 12:29 AM
wow... i dont see that tbh

What do you consider "decently well." He'd have to play better than my definition of "decently well" to get the max.

I think if he has another year like 17-18, he'll get it. An All-Defense nod, good impact stats and some signature performances on national television would build his brand. His professed loyalty to the Spurs will be a bigger factor than I think some folks here assume. The team needs a franchise player as much as it needs to not tank. Like a number of teams that have maxed questionable talents, they just need some hope to pull the trigger. People talk about him as if he's a true defensive anchor and the possible missing piece to a title run. If he's seriously that, how do you not give him whatever it takes?

Of course, I think we all agree that if he comes in and shows huge improvement he'll get it and likely deserve it. But I think that if he just plays well enough to hold onto the starting job despite the difficulties that could cause, they'll at least be willing to match a max offer sheet or be willing to offer the max to keep Paul from messing up the team's FA plans by looking to other clubs.

phxspurfan
05-22-2019, 01:03 AM
Murray will get MVP before Leonard does. Book it

timvp
05-22-2019, 01:10 AM
I think if he has another year like 17-18, he'll get it. An All-Defense nod, good impact stats and some signature performances on national television would build his brand. His professed loyalty to the Spurs will be a bigger factor than I think some folks here assume. The team needs a franchise player as much as it needs to not tank. Like a number of teams that have maxed questionable talents, they just need some hope to pull the trigger. People talk about him as if he's a true defensive anchor and the possible missing piece to a title run. If he's seriously that, how do you not give him whatever it takes?

Of course, I think we all agree that if he comes in and shows huge improvement he'll get it and likely deserve it. But I think that if he just plays well enough to hold onto the starting job despite the difficulties that could cause, they'll at least be willing to match a max offer sheet or be willing to offer the max to keep Paul from messing up the team's FA plans by looking to other clubs.

He's going to have to do more than average 8, 6 and 3 to get max money from anyone. There have been some questionable talents given max dollars, but those players at least put up big numbers. I can't think of a player who got a max with numbers anywhere close to that pedestrian. Closest would be, who, Harrison Barnes? Even he averaged 12, 5 and 2 and played big minutes on a championship team at a young age.

Marcus Bryant
05-22-2019, 03:59 AM
How many uncles does he have?

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
You have to admire his desire to stay with the spurs. Whether or not that ends up playing out is another thing. It could totally be the other way around where he doesn't turn out to be anything great and it's the spurs who move on from him. It is refreshing to have an outspoken player on the spurs unlike kawhi who said nothing. Like others have mentioned, it's a possibility DJ could play a role in FA recruitment down the line with how he interacts with other players around the league.

cd98
05-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Murray's season two years ago didn't blow me away. He disrupted passing lanes with his long wingspan, but other than a few games, he underwhelmed on offense and he didn't look like a guy that would create a lot of shots for other players. Mostly he looked like a guy that could guard point guards and switch and guard taller players if the Spurs decided to switch on everything. Spurs hyped him a lot coming into this year. I hope that wasn't just wishful thinking.

That said, Pop once compared Forbes to Curry, so I don't know if they are being realistic in acting like Murray is a superstar in the making.

Mugen
05-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Murray's season two years ago didn't blow me away. He disrupted passing lanes with his long wingspan, but other than a few games, he underwhelmed on offense and he didn't look like a guy that would create a lot of shots for other players. Mostly he looked like a guy that could guard point guards and switch and guard taller players if the Spurs decided to switch on everything. Spurs hyped him a lot coming into this year. I hope that wasn't just wishful thinking.

That said, Pop once compared Forbes to Curry, so I don't know if they are being realistic in acting like Murray is a superstar in the making.

He was probably talking about thai food tbh

BSfromTX
05-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Kid likes to talk and is still young. I hope he’s as good as most claim he is, but he still has to prove a lot. If he comes back with a solid 3 point shot and finish better at the rim, then I would say he has what it takes and it would be proof of “work”... until then? Talk is cheap

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-22-2019, 01:38 PM
He's going to have to do more than average 8, 6 and 3 to get max money from anyone. There have been some questionable talents given max dollars, but those players at least put up big numbers. I can't think of a player who got a max with numbers anywhere close to that pedestrian. Closest would be, who, Harrison Barnes? Even he averaged 12, 5 and 2 and played big minutes on a championship team at a young age.

I think Murray will be expecting a big payday even if he falls short of a max player performance-wise. The tough part will be if he lands in that say 12-7-4 range, along with solid defense. He'll be showing upside without anything really proven to justify a long, max deal. As much as I like him, I could see him being done as a Spur when his current contract expires due to his salary expectations exceeding his accomplishments. My hope is he's either really great, or really awful when he's back to playing so the guessing game won't ensue in contract time...emphasis on really great.

Dverde
05-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Last year, Justise Winslow got 39M for three years. Would you give Dejounte the same deal? Winslow seemed the most comparable player in the prior draft class.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800583-justise-winslow-heat-agree-to-3-year-39-million-contract-extension

superbigtime
05-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Murray has a long way to go

Degoat
05-23-2019, 11:03 AM
I think it just depends, if spurs really believe he will be a star and they wanna lock him up I’d say a 4year/60 million deal. I think that shows the spurs are committed to him but idk

Chinook
05-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Last year, Justise Winslow got 39M for three years. Would you give Dejounte the same deal? Winslow seemed the most comparable player in the prior draft class.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800583-justise-winslow-heat-agree-to-3-year-39-million-contract-extension

Shit yeah I'd give Murray that deal. He wouldn't accept it though. Winslow had been nothing but a bust before that. He played way better this year, but his stock was way lower than Murray's is, even accounting for the injury.

FkLA
05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Just trade his ass so the best PG on the team can get the spot that is rightfully his, tbh.

TheCerebral1
05-23-2019, 12:30 PM

@3 minute mark

Never Forget

Bitch. That's all it said.

spurraider21
05-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Just trade his ass so the best PG on the team can get the spot that is rightfully his, tbh.
why would we trade the only all-defensive team player on our roster?

timvp
05-23-2019, 01:51 PM

If Murray has a good year (something like ~28 MPG, 10-12 PPG, ~7 RPG, ~5 APG with an All-Defensive team selection), I think the 4-year, $52 million Marcus Smart contract could be the right comp to point at. But, again, that'd be if Murray bounces back well from his ACL tear.

picnroll
05-23-2019, 01:58 PM
I doubt you’ll commit to this because it might compromise your ability to whine and bitch about Murray but how about give us a prediction about how bad Murray’s numbers will be next year, points,
; rebounds , steal assists,2 pt FG%, 3 pt FG%

Dex
05-23-2019, 02:00 PM
:lmao I like DJ, but he is nowhere close to a max player right now by any stretch of the imagination.

FkLA
05-23-2019, 02:06 PM
I doubt you’ll commit to this because it might compromise your ability to whine and bitch about Murray but how about give us a prediction about how bad Murray’s numbers will be next year, points,
; rebounds , steal assists,2 pt FG%, 3 pt FG%

PPG-worse than the best PG on the team
APG-worse than the best PG on the team
2PT%-worse than the best PG on the team
3PT%-worse than the best PG on the team
BPG-worse than the best PG on the team
SPG-worse than the best PG on the team
ORPM-worse than the best PG on the team
DRPM-worse than the best PG on the team
VORP-worse than the best PG on the team
WS-worse than the best PG on the team
TOPG-worse than the best PG on the team
Balling on Instagram-better than the best PG on the team

timvp
05-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Are Manu fans only capable of liking one guard on the roster at a time, tbh?

Weird phenomenon.

picnroll
05-23-2019, 02:27 PM
PPG-worse than the best PG on the team
APG-worse than the best PG on the team
2PT%-worse than the best PG on the team
3PT%-worse than the best PG on the team
BPG-worse than the best PG on the team
SPG-worse than the best PG on the team
ORPM-worse than the best PG on the team
DRPM-worse than the best PG on the team
VORP-worse than the best PG on the team
WS-worse than the best PG on the team
TOPG-worse than the best PG on the team
Balling on Instagram-better than the best PG on the team

Kind of pussy answer I expected.

Dverde
05-23-2019, 04:14 PM
DJ about to get paid and you guys are going to lose your minds. We’ll be lucky to get that Justise Winslow deal. I think it’s going to be higher.