05-17-2019, 11:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Nxrku8G.jpg

Luka Samanic

Position: PF
Height: 6-foot-11
Weight: 227.2
Wingspan: 6-foot-10.5
Draft Range: 15 to 35
Combine Results? Yes (https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/)

Why: Very, very good athlete. Fast for a big, jumps really well and his natural fluidity is that of a point guard. Quick with the ball -- even most modern-day bigs would find it difficult to stay in front of him. Ball-handling ability as a big is off the charts. Has advanced footwork in the post. Shooting stroke is picture-perfect. Defensively, he's very capable of switching off onto smaller players. Battles for rebounds and is actively shedding his 'soft' label. RC Buford was seen scouting him. (https://sportando.basketball/en/r-c-buford-attended-olimpija-ljubljanas-game-to-watch-luka-samanic/)

Why Not: While his mechanics are good, he doesn't have much history of actually making three-pointers. So far, most of his scoring potential is more theoretical than anything else. His ball-handling can be wasted because he doesn't have good court vision and isn't always a willing passer. While he has gotten a lot stronger in the last year, he has to keep working at it -- especially because he has a high center of gravity. As it is, he has a hard time holding his ground. Wingspan is underwhelming.

Spurs Fit: His fundamentals on both ends are there so he could battle for NBA minutes as a rookie.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Athletic Hedo Turkoglu

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Davis Bertans without the jumper

Europe Stats (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Luka-Samanic/Summary/94639)
Highlight Video (https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1129418791664934913)
The Stepien Profile (https://www.thestepien.com/2018/11/16/ever-volatile-draft-stock-luka-samanic/)
HoopsHype Profile (https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/22/luka-samanic-nba-draft-interview-international-prospects/)

Man Mountain
05-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Think your range is too high, I've seen only late first or second rounds.

Play Boban
05-17-2019, 11:27 PM
If he’s on the board at 19, you have to take him tbh.

timvp
05-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Think your range is too high, I've seen only late first or second rounds.

IMO, he's going to be a riser. Too many flawed first round prospects to pass on someone with Samanic's skillset. Plus, he played really well at the combine and his measurements and athleticism all checked out. As it looks right now, for the Spurs to get him they'd have to draft him at 19. Don't think he lasts to 29, especially when teams who prefer a draft-and-stash possibility start getting involved.

ZeusWillJudge
05-18-2019, 12:17 AM
IMO, he's going to be a riser. Too many flawed first round prospects to pass on someone with Samanic's skillset. Plus, he played really well at the combine and his measurements and athleticism all checked out. As it looks right now, for the Spurs to get him they'd have to draft him at 19. Don't think he lasts to 29, especially when teams who prefer a draft-and-stash possibility start getting involved.

That would be a big jump for him. I watched some of the video, and he's bulked up quite a bit in the last year. And he's developed a big ol' neck, so I think he's still going to bulk up more. I don't know about upside, but I think he's got a good shot at seeing floor time sooner rather than later.

I'd like him better at 29, but I agree - so many of the guys they're hyping for the first round look like good second round prospects. He may not be exciting, but he looks like he could be steady if they aren't wanting to roll the dice.

ducks
05-18-2019, 12:22 AM
I want him

BackHome
05-18-2019, 12:24 AM
We still talking about draft. Lol

phxspurfan
05-18-2019, 12:30 AM
late first since his name is Luka

TrainOfThought5
05-18-2019, 12:41 AM
Trade up from 29, tbh.

smaka
05-18-2019, 02:49 AM
He quit on his current team which is playing in the finals of domestic league, to go to draft combine. Quitter at 19, tbh. :lol

As I posted in other threads, he and his agent are adamant he plays in the NBA next season, so I don't know about stashing, how real option is that.
Otherwise, I've watched him in every game this season since he plays for a team from my hometown and I have mixed feelings about his (currently very, very inconsistent) game.

timvp
05-18-2019, 03:38 AM
He quit on his current team which is playing in the finals of domestic league, to go to draft combine. Quitter at 19, tbh. :lol

As I posted in other threads, he and his agent are adamant he plays in the NBA next season, so I don't know about stashing, how real option is that.
Otherwise, I've watched him in every game this season since he plays for a team from my hometown and I have mixed feelings about his (currently very, very inconsistent) game.

Interesting tidbits. Thx.

Texas_Ranger
05-18-2019, 03:41 AM
as a guy that watched him play i dont think he's good. We really dont need a shittier Bertans, one is already enough.

duncan2150
05-18-2019, 04:56 AM
One main weakness for samanic is defense. Some experts in Europe think he is a liability on this side of the game.

but the surprise is that he was not bad on defense during the combine.

based on reports in Europe I will not touch him with the 19th pick.

r0drig0lac
05-18-2019, 05:26 AM
better Luka in the nba

Dejounte
05-18-2019, 06:04 AM
If he rises that far above our 19th...that means someone is dropping to our pick. Like others said, i will pass on him at 19 but for sure draft him if hes there at 29.

Dejounte
05-18-2019, 06:05 AM
In some ways he reminds me of Manu in terms of craftiness and out of nowhere athleticism...

kobyz
05-18-2019, 06:28 AM
I aIso think we'll need to use #19 to get him, see some Nick Batum in him...

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-18-2019, 07:05 AM

I was about to start a thread about him because I seen he got high Mark's for how he played and his measurements at the combine. He is definitely gonna be picked higher than many initially thought. Teams with multiple draft picks will go after this guy to save roster spots and money.

The big knock besides his average numbers and inconsistent play overseas is his wingspan. If he had a bigger wingspan this kid would go top ten off potential alone I think. If he can get bigger and stronger he can actually play the 4 in the NBA and his body type looks like he will not have much of an issue putting on muscle

This draft is going to be interesting

Play Boban
05-18-2019, 08:10 AM

This team has a known history of drafting and having success with quitters, so I think this increases his stock with PATFO, if anything, tbh......

Maddog
05-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Isn't that like basement or even outhouse.

I'm far from a draft expert, other than to realize that a high percentage of picks outside the lottery don't pan out. Samanic seems a bit of a risky pick. Maybe not up there with Bol, but similar. That said , I'd be fine with swinging for the fence so to speak.

ZeusWillJudge
05-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Smaka comes through again.

I've been pretty hard on Kawhi for not even sitting behind the bench while his teammates were in the playoffs. I was hard on Danie Gafford for leaving his teammates and skipping the NIT Tournament, so he could "prepare for the draft". It would be pretty hypocritical for me to excuse Samanic for the same thing. If he doesn't mind leaving one team, even in the playoffs, why would he be loyal to the next team?

As for being inconsistent, you sort of expect that from young players. But it's good to keep in mind when he (probably) moves up that far in the draft based on one day at the combine.

smaka
05-18-2019, 01:09 PM
This team has a known history of drafting and having success with quitters, so I think this increases his stock with PATFO, if anything, tbh......

Exactly :lol

He is supposed to be back for game 2 of the league finals, which are streamed on facebook as well, so I can post a link here if anyone wants to watch it. Game 2 is on Tuesday morning (11am-ish) US time I think. But keep in mind that level of play in this league in general is nowhere near Euroleague, Eurocup or Aba level, and Samanic's stats in this league are nothing to brag with. He's played better lately, I have to think due to higher motivation because I've seen many scouts at the games, including RC as I mentioned in some other thread.

That said, Buford being in Ljubljana twice this year must not be a coincidence. We'll see, but I'd be a bit disappointed to use first round pick on him, at least judging by the way he played this year. I don't know much about other prospects in the 20-30 pick range, so maybe I cannot really compare him with others.

duncan2150
05-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Exactly :lol

He is supposed to be back for game 2 of the league finals, which are streamed on facebook as well, so I can post a link here if anyone wants to watch it. Game 2 is on Tuesday morning (11am-ish) US time I think. But keep in mind that level of play in this league in general is nowhere near Euroleague, Eurocup or Aba level, and Samanic's stats in this league are nothing to brag with. He's played better lately, I have to think due to higher motivation because I've seen many scouts at the games, including RC as I mentioned in some other thread.

That said, Buford being in Ljubljana twice this year must not be a coincidence. We'll see, but I'd be a bit disappointed to use first round pick on him, at least judging by the way he played this year. I don't know much about other prospects in the 20-30 pick range, so maybe I cannot really compare him with others.

I think you're right about motivation, are you agree about his weakness on D ? people who watched him this year said he is a liability on the perimeter.
people start to be high on him but like you i will not draft him with the 19 pick, the 29 maybe ....

smaka
05-18-2019, 01:23 PM
I think you're right about motivation, are you agree about his weakness on D ? people who watched him this year said he is a liability on the perimeter.
people start to be high on him but like you i will not draft him with the 19 pick, the 29 maybe ....

Yes, I agree about him being weak on D. I think he doesn't have the body/strength (yet) to defend good post up players, players bigger than him. Although his athleticism brings potential for blocking shots and his quick feet for switching on defense, imo.

Dejounte
05-20-2019, 05:34 AM
Everyone, check out scouting videos of Luka on this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCliGu5Y3jIz0KU9z3alU3qg

His switchable defense is actually impressive and I could see why the Spurs may be interested.

duncan2150
05-20-2019, 09:05 AM
what i saw in the video is that with one dribble the opponent could take advantage on him. There are a lot of situations when the other player can finish near the rim

again what is good is That he seems to be good on D at the combine but he will get destroyed in the nba ( now , he could improve for sure)

Degoat
05-20-2019, 09:32 AM
Idk how I feel about this guy, I wouldn’t mind him at 29 but we wouldn’t see him in the pop era I bet

horseshue
05-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Every Luka with an ic is getting recognition since the last year draft.

lmbebo
05-20-2019, 11:50 AM
like in late 1st round

DAF86
05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Of all the guys that could land on the Spurs range, this is the most intriguing to me, so far.

Maddog
05-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Of all the guys that could land on the Spurs range, this is the most intriguing to me, so far.

I would tend agree, but caution that he seems intriguing because we don't know much about him.

timvp
05-20-2019, 02:30 PM

Yeah, intriguing.

-European scouts are pretty low on him. Even point to character issues.

-NBA scouts are actually higher on him, it seems like.

-Europe still has those glass eating ogres at power forward, while the NBA has done away with those guys for the most part. So Samanic might actually fit better in the NBA than he does in Europe.

-He has a lot of perimeter skills compared to other players his size in the draft.

-For all his skills, he hasn't performed too well in Europe.

All in all, sometimes he looks Nowitzki-ish, sometimes he looks like Ryan Richards part 2. :lol

I still think he's going to be a riser as the draft approaches but he's far from a sure thing. He's in the high ceiling, low floor category with Bol, Rui, Little, Kevin Porter Jr and a handful of others.

cd021
05-20-2019, 04:25 PM
In terms of draft day trades for the Spurs; Bellinelli to the 76ers for the 34th or 35th pick makes sense for both sides the tbh.

Spurs clear out $5.85 million by trading him into Philly's cap space, clear out another roster spot, gives Walker a path for minute or minutes for another free agent.

76ers get a rotation player who played well for them, previously. Their bench was likely the reason they missed the ECF and Beli comes cheap (they can take him into cap space)

The trade would have to officially be completed on 7/1

Spurs could use the 29th or 34/35th pick to draft Samanic.

Immortal Spur
05-20-2019, 04:42 PM
In terms of draft day trades for the Spurs; Bellinelli to the 76ers for the 34th or 35th pick makes sense for both sides the tbh.

Spurs clear out $5.85 million by trading him into Philly's cap space, clear out another roster spot, gives Walker a path for minute or minutes for another free agent.

76ers get a rotation player who played well for them, previously. Their bench was likely the reason they missed the ECF and Beli comes cheap (they can take him into cap space)

thats one of the best ideas i've seen floating around

TD 21
05-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Nothing against him, but despite no obvious pick in terms of projections at 19 and this supposedly being a weak draft, considering it's the most capital the Spurs have had in some time, someone like him or Williams would be disappointing.

Maybe they'll be useful 3rd or 4th bigs long term, but so what? I'd rather attempt to move up and potentially fill the glaring hole with someone like Little (obviously, he'd need time).

There's no way Belinelli is worth multiple high 2nds and the 76ers, if they're successful in re-signing Butler, Harris and Redick (with Simmons on the horizon), probably can't afford to spend that much on a backup wing and even if they can, they won't do so for a defensive liability.

If they can't upgrade Ennis, they'd be better off re-signing him. He'll more than likely be cheaper and at least isn't easily exploitable defensively.

mo7888
05-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Nothing against him, but despite no obvious pick in terms of projections at 19 and this supposedly being a weak draft, considering it's the most capital the Spurs have had in some time, someone like him or Williams would be disappointing.

Maybe they'll be useful 3rd or 4th bigs long term, but so what? I'd rather attempt to move up and potentially fill the glaring hole with someone like Little (obviously, he'd need time).

There's no way Belinelli is worth multiple high 2nds and the 76ers, if they're successful in re-signing Butler, Harris and Redick (with Simmons on the horizon), probably can't afford to spend that much on a backup wing and even if they can, they won't do so for a defensive liability.

If they can't upgrade Ennis, they'd be better off re-signing him. He'll more than likely be cheaper and at least isn't easily exploitable defensively.

It wasn't multiple 2nd's...it was either the 34th or 35th pick.

cd021
05-20-2019, 05:22 PM

I meant either the 34th or 35th pick. They can re-sign Butler and Harris using Bird rights and Reddick using Early Bird. Having Beli back wouldn't affect them re-signing Simmons if they bring Reddick back for 1 more year plus Beli has only one year remaining.

Moving an early second for a rotation player, flawed as he may be, would be a win for them considering how bad their bench was.

TD 21
05-20-2019, 05:27 PM
I meant either the 34th or 35th pick. They can re-sign Butler and Harris using Bird rights and Reddick using Early Bird. Having Beli back wouldn't affect them re-signing Simmons if they bring Reddick back for 1 more year plus Beli has only one year remaining.

Moving an early second for a rotation player, flawed as he may be, would be a win for them considering how bad their bench was.

Yeah, my mistake. I know they technically can do it, but I mean practically speaking.

The Celtics basically played Belinelli off the floor last year in their series. At the highest level, he's virtually unplayable.

Even though I don't believe in them, they're a team with championship aspirations. I don't see them paying $5.85M (and maybe more, depending on whether they're in the tax and if so, how deep) for that.

If they would, obviously the Spurs should do that in a second though.

cd021
05-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Yeah, my mistake. I know they technically can do it, but I mean practically speaking.

The Celtics basically played Belinelli off the floor last year in their series. At the highest level, he's virtually unplayable.

Even though I don't believe in them, they're a team with championship aspirations. I don't see them paying $5.85M (and maybe more, depending on whether they're in the tax and if so, how deep) for that.

If they would, obviously the Spurs should do that in a second though.
The site I used was misleading, I also forgot to take into account cap holds. The trade I proposed won't work. Philly won't have cap space so they would have to send out Jonathan Simmons and 35 for Beli but that's a lot less appealing. Too bad.

ZeusWillJudge
05-21-2019, 04:07 PM
The site I used was misleading, I also forgot to take into account cap holds. The trade I proposed won't work. Philly won't have cap space so they would have to send out Jonathan Simmons and 35 for Beli but that's a lot less appealing. Too bad.

Cap holds are going to screw with a lot of the trades that people think can and will happen in this draft.

cd021
05-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Cap holds are going to screw with a lot of the trades that people think can and will happen in this draft.

Basketball insiders had them with $66 million in committed cap but I forgot to add Butler's and Harris cap holds- which I normally don't do.

mo7888
05-21-2019, 05:21 PM

I think Simmons is non-guaranteed, so we could just waive him and clear his salary.

MaNu4Tres
05-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Spurs would have the option to make Simmons deal guaranteed before July 1st. They can make that trade and let him go soon after as long as its before July 1st.

BackHome
05-21-2019, 08:55 PM
What are you thoughts on trading the rights to Nikola for Phillies 24 th pick and Vasilije Micic and their 34 pick in the draft.

Immortal Spur
05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Spurs would have the option to make Simmons deal guaranteed before July 1st. They can make that trade and let him go soon after as long as its before July 1st.
I would do that in a heartbeat

pad300
05-21-2019, 09:24 PM
What are you thoughts on trading the rights to Nikola for Phillies 24 th pick and Vasilije Micic and their 34 pick in the draft.

A lot more than I would expect Nikola to bring back. I'd expect their counter-offer to be one of #34 or Micic...

ZeusWillJudge
05-21-2019, 10:19 PM
Basketball insiders had them with $66 million in committed cap but I forgot to add Butler's and Harris cap holds- which I normally don't do.

I wasn't blaming you. If you look at this stuff enough, you're going to overlook some things sooner or later. I was just saying that a lot of people (not just here) are talking about all the potential deals during this draft. But once you start looking at specific teams, cap space, and needs, you see that it's not just a free for all. It can't be. And a lot of the trades that these writers act like will magically happen, can't happen.

The "sports writers" start a bunch of these discussions, and they should know better - but they don't. More and more I think that all you need to become a sports writer these days is an IP address.

cd021
05-22-2019, 01:31 AM

Milutinov would be an expensive back up for Embiid, probably makes more sense for them to go after a vet like maybe Tyson Chandler- some one who can play 12 minutes in the playoffs without the bench getting outscored by alot. Spurs may have to give up the 49th for Micic but Philly already has 2 other seconds.

Think Milutinov doesn't have first round trade value; he is a solid big on a decent team in Europe probably worth a mid a second to a team that is interested.

smaka
05-22-2019, 03:22 AM
From https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-mock-draft-jarrett-culver-on-the-rise-after-combine-skipping-workouts-doesnt-hurt-zion-williamson/

Luka Samanic | Olimpija Ljubljana | PF | 6-11

Samanic was the clear-cut winner from the combine. He played so well on the first day he shut it down on the second day, as buzz about him improving his stock into the first round filled the gym in Chicago. He was the best player from Day One of the combine, showing off some impressive handles, a smooth shot, and range from 3-point range that is a rarity for 6-11 bigs.

Good first day, shut it down to not spoil it the second day. No thanks, really.

smaka
05-22-2019, 05:59 AM
Some interesting info about Samanic, concerning his current team.

- he went to draft combine in the middle of Slovenian league playoffs, missing 2nd semifinals game and first finals game
- he was supposed to be back for game 2 of the finals
- yesterday was game 2, he wasn't playing and neither was he present at the game
- apparently, the team doesn't even know if he is still in USA, he is not communicating with them (only via agent) and nedless to say he won't play a game for the team again

I know all this stuff that is happening isn't directly connected to Spurs, but a player acting like that to his current team reminds me a lot about a certain player. Do I want to see a player acting like that at the age of 19 (what else's to come?) on our team? No.

Dejounte
05-22-2019, 06:33 AM

- he went to draft combine in the middle of Slovenian league playoffs, missing 2nd semifinals game and first finals game
- yesterday was game 2, he wasn't playing and neither was he present at the game
- apparently, the team doesn't even know if he is still in USA, he is not communicating with them (only via agent) and nedless to say he won't play a game for the team again

I know all this stuff that is happening isn't directly connected to Spurs, but a player acting like that to his current team reminds me a lot about a certain player. Do I want to see a player acting like that at the age of 19 (what else's to come?) on our team? No.

Maybe he doesnt want to risk injury? I mean who wants to play in a minor league anyway

smaka
05-22-2019, 07:52 AM
Yeah but you are under contract, none of the "who wants to play" schtick should be tolerated. whatever the reason is, you at least talk to the team, right? Or... We have seen that movie before.

Maddog
05-22-2019, 08:09 AM

If you are considering taking him you can't ignore this kind of information. Is this just a 19 year old getting bad advice and being overwhelmed by "the big city" or is it signs of more serious long term Diva behavior.

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Maybe he doesnt want to risk injury? I mean who wants to play in a minor league anyway
So fucking familiar huh?

exstatic
05-22-2019, 09:18 AM

They can't DO the trade before July 1st. After the draft, there is a moratorium on trades until the FA period opens on..........drum roll..........JULY 1st! Philly won't have cap room until the FA period starts, so you can't do it before that.

pad300
05-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Assuming your info is correct, do not want... especially as the impression I get is he's not a gym rat who likes ball (like Kawhi was, regardless of other character traits/bad advice/uncle).

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Dick move to run away from his team for sure, however they might have had an understanding beforehand as he was always going to be in the draft.

I think what has changed the most is that he no longer seems like a draft and stash pick, which could affect his drafting position. On the other hand he seems to have done well for himself and if some team likes him and he gets drafted in the 1st round and he's brought to the NBA right away that'd be a huge win for him and his agent. I'm sure his current team will get a payoff and be fine with it all as well.

exstatic
05-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Dick move to run away from his team for sure, however they might have had an understanding beforehand as he was always going to be in the draft.

I think what has changed the most is that he no longer seems like a draft and stash pick, which could affect his drafting position. On the other hand he seems to have done well for himself and if some team likes him and he gets drafted in the 1st round and he's brought to the NBA right away that'd be a huge win for him and his agent. I'm sure his current team will get a payoff and be fine with it all as well.

He and his agent have been very forthcoming in stating that their goal was the NBA this coming season. To "stash" a player, you have to get them to sign an NBA form stating that they're not coming over. Otherwise, they can show up, and demand their guaranteed first round contract. Failure to offer it costs the team it's draft rights, and makes the player a FA.

BackHome
05-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Yeah he should be back with his team playing hell even Zion came back from injury to play with his team.

Play Boban
05-22-2019, 12:01 PM
LuQuisling tbh. But if he gives us a chip, then all is forgiven fwiw.

4lifecowboy
05-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a team made a promise that he would be drafted. Why would he risk injury before getting drafted.

RC_Drunkford
05-22-2019, 01:02 PM
I assume he shut it down because he outplayed everybody. His stock is rising, so no need to play again and look like the first day was a fluke

timvp
05-22-2019, 01:15 PM

Good info.

I don't think it makes him undraftable, though. He's not the first prospect to do something similar. IIRC, Dirk Nowitzki escaped his team in the middle of the night without telling anyone in order to come to America ... and he didn't end up having any lingering character issues.

The Spurs have good contacts in that region so they should be able to figure out if Samanic's character is something to worry about.

BackHome
05-22-2019, 04:22 PM
I assume he shut it down because he outplayed everybody. His stock is rising, so no need to play again and look like the first day was a fluke

Kinda reminds me of Livio

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a team made a promise that he would be drafted. Why would he risk injury before getting drafted.I'd go further and say he got a first round promise. No reason to continue the combine, work out or go back to whatever beet basket team he abandoned.

Play Boban
05-22-2019, 08:03 PM
High IQ and scrappy tbh...

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2019, 09:06 PM
Question regarding “promises” how does it work if say, the thunder promised to take him at their pick, but then he gets drafted way before? The thunder just go to Plan B? I’m sure it makes no difference for the player as they are just happy to get drafted in the 1st?

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 09:07 PM
Question regarding “promises” how does it work if say, the thunder promised to take him at their pick, but then he gets drafted way before? The thunder just go to Plan B? I’m sure it makes no difference for the player as they are just happy to get drafted in the 1st?Yeah, the promise is only for the team making that promise. Guarantees a floor for their earnings.

ceperez
05-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Unfortunate that he's now in the radar. He could still be picked by the Spurs at #19.

RiverwalkParade
05-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Would be happy with him at 19 and Clayton at 29. Trade Bertans for high 2nd and get Okeke.

Big Empty
05-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Im pretty sure if RC went to go personally scout this kid overseas a few times he’s our guy at 19. We havnt had a bad attirude Euro player yet. We’ll see

ceperez
05-23-2019, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if CIA PATFO is making him look scarce to other teams.

BackHome
05-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Would be happy with him at 19 and Clayton at 29. Trade Bertans for high 2nd and get Okeke.

Very Nice - Me Like. :flag:

cd021
05-23-2019, 05:17 PM
I think i'd be ok with him at 19 If Roby or Okpala are there at 29 to take.

Samanic is an interesting player; he isn't a good 3pt shooter but has good shooting form (even though his FT% is shaky) surprisingly good rebounder based on his stats. Has post skill and looks comfortable driving.

Spurs get a potiential starter at the 4, long term and the same at the 3 with a player that is big enough to scale up.

Murray, Mills
Forbes, White, Walker
DeRozan, Belinelli, Roby/Okpala
Gay, Bertans, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Metu

ceperez
05-23-2019, 07:58 PM

I don't know, maybe it's the other way around Clayton at 19 and Samanic at 29. Samanic however is the more skilled player, but the upside is with Clayton.

Russ
05-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Kinda reminds me of Livio

Except that Samanic will probably have an impact in the NBA.

Uriel
05-23-2019, 09:05 PM
From https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-mock-draft-jarrett-culver-on-the-rise-after-combine-skipping-workouts-doesnt-hurt-zion-williamson/

Luka Samanic | Olimpija Ljubljana | PF | 6-11

Samanic was the clear-cut winner from the combine. He played so well on the first day he shut it down on the second day, as buzz about him improving his stock into the first round filled the gym in Chicago. He was the best player from Day One of the combine, showing off some impressive handles, a smooth shot, and range from 3-point range that is a rarity for 6-11 bigs.

Good first day, shut it down to not spoil it the second day. No thanks, really.
So he shut it down after an impressive start to the Combine. I remember a certain French player who shut it down after the Combine when he got a promise from a certain team in South Texas.

Dejounte
05-23-2019, 09:19 PM
So he shut it down after an impressive start to the Combine. I remember a certain French player who shut it down after the Combine when he got a promise from a certain team in South Texas.

Who

timvp
05-23-2019, 09:19 PM
Who

That's what I was going to ask, tbh.

Uriel
05-23-2019, 09:26 PM
Who

That's what I was going to ask, tbh.
Isn't that exactly what happened with Livio?

timvp
05-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Isn't that exactly what happened with Livio?

Did he play in the combine? I know he dominated in the Nike Hoop Summit but I don't remember when/if a promise came.

Uriel
05-23-2019, 10:07 PM
Did he play in the combine? I know he dominated in the Nike Hoop Summit but I don't remember when/if a promise came.
Nike Hoop Summit. Sorry, that’s what I meant. He dominated at the Hoop Summit and mysteriously disappeared after that. It was widely believed at that point that he had received a promise from a team. Then, on draft day, lo and behold, the Spurs selected him.

ceperez
05-24-2019, 09:48 AM

I thought you were talking about Batum. Who shut it down and started complaining about having heart problems. Well, he was picked up by Houston a pick a head of the Spurs. Then he was traded to the Blazers right after.

The Blazers didn't fall for this gimmick. Spurs had to pick George Hill instead.

NickiRasgo
05-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Is he like Saric?

timvp
05-27-2019, 03:14 PM
ESPN has him up to #30. Tankathon has him at #26.

I still think the Spurs have to take him at 19 if they want him ...

Play Boban
05-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Could be the best playa in the draft tbh....... :wakeup

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 04:21 PM
19th: Samanic
29th: Roby
Move up in 2nd rd and get Bazley

cd021
05-27-2019, 05:06 PM
19th: Samanic
29th: Roby

That would be a great draft, tbh, with Samanic and Roby.

Play Boban
05-27-2019, 05:19 PM
I'd take him over Zion tbh.

DPG21920
05-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Seems like a more athletic, but t-Rex arm version of Dragan Bender?

Chinook
05-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Seems like a more athletic, but t-Rex arm version of Dragan Bender?

I wonder if Bender might be a target in free agency this year, actually. Especially if Milutinov stays overseas, having a guy with that size who can space the floor might make him a worthwhile project.

DPG21920
05-27-2019, 06:22 PM
I wonder if Bender might be a target in free agency this year, actually. Especially if Milutinov stays overseas, having a guy with that size who can space the floor might make him a worthwhile project.

Possibly. I am personally not a fan; I don’t think he really shoots well enough to actually space the floor, but in theory he does. But he’s still really young and has some tools to work with for sure.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 08:04 PM

I want to take what you taking, you need to be high on something else to succeed seeing any hope in Bender, lol...

mo7888
05-27-2019, 08:19 PM
I want to take what you taking, you need to be high on something else to succeed seeing any hope in Bender, lol...

I'm not a real bender fan (although I thought he had potential when he was drafted) but, I don't think he's ready to be thrown on the dump heap. He's played in such a dysfunctional organization with no consistency from the HC on up. There might be something there if he's in a stable environment.

Chinook
05-27-2019, 08:55 PM

Phoenix is where prospects go to die. They haven't developed a single player well in my recent memory. Closest is Booker, who is as much an incomplete player on a bad team as he is a rising star. I like Bender on a flier, and I'd be very happy with Josh Jackson.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Phoenix is where prospects go to die. They haven't developed a single player well in my recent memory. Closest is Booker, who is as much an incomplete player on a bad team as he is a rising star. I like Bender on a flier, and I'd be very happy with Josh Jackson.
It was a joke draft pick from the get go, the guy is afraid of himself, everyone could saw it even before he came to the nba...

Chinook
05-27-2019, 09:08 PM
It was a joke draft pick from the get go, the guy is afraid of himself, everyone could saw it even before he came to the nba...

Eh. People said Hezonia was a bust too. Some dudes are just overdrafted. Sucks for the teams that spend the high picks on the guys, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth developing or won't end up earning roster/rotation spots. I wasn't talking about signing him as a starter or anything, but in a similar capacity as Pon or Cun last year, I think he'd be fine.

kobyz
05-27-2019, 09:39 PM
Eh. People said Hezonia was a bust too. Some dudes are just overdrafted. Sucks for the teams that spend the high picks on the guys, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth developing or won't end up earning roster/rotation spots. I wasn't talking about signing him as a starter or anything, but in a similar capacity as Pon or Cun last year, I think he'd be fine.

Are you not saying hezonia is a big time bust? seriously, I need that smoke you having!! hezonia was also a stupid draft pick, prospect that everyone should have saw not worth first round pick as he was so imature, unproven at all with no productivity or feel for the game...
In Bender case he just doesn't have the nature or mentality to compete against boys, sometimes a lost cause is a lost cause...

BackHome
05-27-2019, 10:10 PM
The problem with a shifty draft you tend to over reach on potential and that word has gotten more GM fired over the years. Take this draft I would hate to be drafting in the lottery I don’t think there is any player that will be close to a franchise player. After pick 3 it a toss up who will have a better career

smaka
05-28-2019, 03:04 AM
Would the Spurs really be willing to bring him overseas next season already, tho?

Big Empty
05-28-2019, 09:02 AM
I see him more like the new andrei kirilenko

pad300
05-28-2019, 09:21 AM
The problem with a shifty draft you tend to over reach on potential and that word has gotten more GM fired over the years. Take this draft I would hate to be drafting in the lottery I don’t think there is any player that will be close to a franchise player. After pick 3 it a toss up who will have a better career

I agree that drafting on potential gets more GM's fired than anything else. But from the Spurs perspective I kind of like this draft. We're generally good at assessing players. That makes this, a draft where the really good prospects are hard to identify, a real chance for us to add good talent.

cd021
05-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Would the Spurs really be willing to bring him overseas next season already, tho?

Apparently he really wants to come over next season, if the Spurs go domestic with 29 too (hopefully they with someone like Okpala or Roby landing there) then that leaves one spot open.

May not be a big deal, especially if Milutinov doesn't come over, still gives them the option to add a player with the MLE- if they choose to do so.

smaka
05-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Apparently he really wants to come over next season, if the Spurs go domestic with 29 too (hopefully they with someone like Okpala or Roby landing there) then that leaves one spot open.

May not be a big deal, especially if Milutinov doesn't come over, still gives them the option to add a player with the MLE- if they choose to do so.

I mean, he hasn't even returned to Europe (and I guess he won't) after a trip that was supposed to be only for the draft combine, so...

look_at_g_shred
05-29-2019, 03:37 PM
you have to take rc scouting him in person seriously.

Big Empty
05-29-2019, 04:45 PM
you have to take rc scouting him in person seriously.yep. Thats why id be suprised if the Spurs didnt take him at 19. He’ll be gone at 29

Dejounte
05-29-2019, 05:29 PM
Luka is probably the most athletic of all the Euros. Dude is really tall too. I think he could be a star.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-30-2019, 02:58 PM
For the guys who have watched him play overseas, was his inconsistent play due to effort or competition?

If it’s due to effort then I don’t know how I feel about this guy.

duncan2150
05-30-2019, 03:26 PM
For the guys who have watched him play overseas, was his inconsistent play due to effort or competition?

It’s for sure about effort because he was considered as a bad defender, mostly on the perimeter. And he looked good on defense at the combine so I will say effort. But we could say it’s also about the competition, maybe he feels that he is better than most of the guys and played a little bit effortless.

Smaka knows him better than me /

smaka
05-30-2019, 03:41 PM

Effort plays role for sure. If he has the talent like he is advertised to have, he should be dominating in Slovenian league which is honestly an ass competition. But he didn't. He did play a lot better that time when RC and some other scouts were there and had two good games after that as well (which were also the last games before he went to draft combine and never reported back to the team, lol).

He showed some good games in ABA league and FIBA Champions League as well, but it was seen that he is not strong enough to guard or post bigger players.

One thing worth considering about his inconsistency might as well be the fact that his Euro team had three different head coaches this season. For a young player like he is, I assume this might play a role as well.
... Which doesn't erase the fact that I have doubts about his character.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-30-2019, 05:39 PM
That’s kind of scary that his effort is inconsistent.

It it seems like he was really smart to shut everything down after looking good in one game at the draft combine. Dude could’ve just had one good showing. Thankfully for us our front office does a very informative job of scouting players. I must admit though his height, athletic ability and potential shooting is very intriguing

thanks guys for your opinion

kobyz
05-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Luka and Darius Bazley are similar high risk high reward prospects, i think they will go toe to toe in the draft...

smaka
06-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Just saw on his Instagram story that he is (or was) in San Antonio.

All these things, dating back to RC's first trip to Slovenia, are just too much to be a coincidence.

Dejounte
06-03-2019, 03:11 PM

All these things, dating back to RC's first trip to Slovenia, are just too much to be a coincidence.

Its either Luka or Bazley to me. Or both.

Degoat
06-03-2019, 03:11 PM
I’m cool with grabbing him 29th but if we select him 19th I’ll be a little pissed off lol

r0drig0lac
06-03-2019, 03:18 PM

link?

Blackhaus
06-03-2019, 03:30 PM
How realistic is it that’ll he’ll still be on the board at 19? He’s def intriguing and looks to be a good replacement for Davis. Def looks like he has better handles that Bertans.

timvp
06-03-2019, 03:31 PM

He is in San Antonio currently, tbh. Difficult to say how much stock to put in that, though. Could mean something, could mean nothing.

He signed with Wasserman though and they're different than most agencies. Most agents try to get their players drafted as high as possible. Wasserman tries to get their players on their preferred team.

(FWIW, Rui also signed with Wasserman.)

smaka
06-03-2019, 03:39 PM
link?
It's on his Instagram story, I can't link you that.

How realistic is it that’ll he’ll still be on the board at 19? He’s def intriguing and looks to be a good replacement for Davis. Def looks like he has better handles that Bertans.

He probably has better handles but he isn't the shooter Davis is (or was, while he was still in Europe).

dubross
06-03-2019, 03:41 PM
if the spurs had to bite the bullet and take either Samanic or Bazley with th3 19th I would go with Bazley.

timvp
06-03-2019, 03:44 PM
For the record, I wouldn't be upset with Samanic at 19. He can look Nowitzki-ish at times, is athletic enough for the NBA and has a pretty high ceiling. Then again, there are times he looks terrible in some of the Slovenian tape I've watched and his stats are pedestrian at best. It's a difficult to put a value on him because a lot of his struggles in Europe revolve around him getting pushed around ... but in the modern day NBA, that contact is a foul. There's a chance that you put him in the NBA, work on his body a bit and he's a really good big. But there's also a chance he ends up a homeless man's Andrea Bargnani.

Degoat
06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Yeah his Instagram shows he’s in SA

duncan2150
06-03-2019, 03:50 PM
For the record, I wouldn't be upset with Samanic at 19. He can look Nowitzki-ish at times, is athletic enough for the NBA and has a pretty high ceiling. Then again, there are times he looks terrible in some of the Slovenian tape I've watched and his stats are pedestrian at best. It's a difficult to put a value on him because a lot of his struggles in Europe revolve around him getting pushed around ... but in the modern day NBA, that contact is a foul. There's a chance that you put him in the NBA, work on his body a bit and he's a really good big. But there's also a chance he ends up a homeless man's Andrea Bargnani.

You' re right plus the big question mark about his defense

Not my First choice but i Will trust the spurs on This draft, also it Will depends on who Will be available at the time

pad300
06-03-2019, 03:58 PM

To me, not being upset with Samanic at 19, would depend on who's left on the board... It's going to be a weird draft.

To my mind, the issue with Samanic is mental/character. If he brought the effort every night to that league (like he did for his one combine scrimmage), he'd be setting it on fire and peeing on the remains. If he does that, he's a sure fire NBA player, but obviously, he doesn't. Not to sure that an NBA paycheck will improve on that...

exstatic
06-03-2019, 04:06 PM

Man, that's a damn low floor.

DPG21920
06-03-2019, 04:18 PM

:hungry:

Dejounte
06-03-2019, 04:28 PM
This dude knows how to speak Spanish. He will fit in real well in SA if he gets drafted by us.

Degoat
06-03-2019, 05:46 PM
But wouldn’t everyone agree that of the international prospects it goes Sekou, Goga, Samanic in that order :wakeup I’d much rather have Sekou or Goga

cd021
06-03-2019, 05:51 PM
But wouldn’t everyone agree that of the international prospects it goes Sekou, Goga, Samanic in that order :wakeup I’d much rather have Sekou or Goga

Sounds right tbh, but Sekou is projected to be a top 12 pick while Goga seems to be sliding and should be around at 19.

timvp
06-03-2019, 05:58 PM
But wouldn’t everyone agree that of the international prospects it goes Sekou, Goga, Samanic in that order :wakeup

Not necessarily. Sekou get kicked out of INSEP and he too has some pretty iffy tape. If he got kicked out of INSEP for legit reasons (anyone even halfway associated with TP or Boris could get the details), I could see taking him off the board. His talent isn't so overwhelming that you automatically ignore character flaws.

Goga is interesting but his slowness is a legit concern, especially if you project the getting smaller and faster from here on out.

If Sekou gets axed for character issues and Goga is deemed too slow, then Samanic enters the conversation...

duncan2150
06-03-2019, 06:27 PM
I think you re too high on Sekou’s character issues. There is not a single report in France about some problems since he plays in French Pro A or Pro B.

One thing I can agree is ceiling, We can’t know now who will be better in some years.

But one sure thing goga or doumdouya have played better and in better competitions than samanic.

acoelho1
06-03-2019, 07:23 PM

He has put on significant weight recently and he emphasized during the combine that he needs to show more toughness. At least he's aware of it and I thought he did well in his only scrimmage.

timvp
06-03-2019, 08:01 PM
I think you re too high on Sekou’s character issues.

To be clear, I don't know whether Sekou has any character issues. He very well could not have any. I just know that it's at least notable that he got kicked out of the place (INSEP) that helped create and mold TP and Diaw.

cd021
06-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Goga is interesting but his slowness is a legit concern, especially if you project the getting smaller and faster from here on out.

If Sekou gets axed for character issues and Goga is deemed too slow, then Samanic enters the conversation...
Isn't Gogas's quickness issues more to do with lateral quickness? Based in the tape I've seen, he actually looks fairly mobile rolling to the rim or attacking close outs.

It's a concern, on defense, but he does also look like a good rim protector so he does have a skill on that end that is a plus.

kobyz
06-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Luka is very intrigued, could be hybrid forward in the mold of Pascal Siakam...

FkLA
06-03-2019, 10:02 PM
I go back and forth with this dude. Sometimes he looks like ass and sometimes he looks like he can be a useful combo forward. I don't know if he has star potential though. Kind of feel like we could do better at 19, wouldn't mind him at 29 though. He's definitely not in Rui's class, imo.

Big Empty
06-03-2019, 10:06 PM
I trust the FO they got a good track record on pics. Picks 12-25 are hard to predict seems like all are a crap shoot that have potential.

BackHome
06-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Yeah honestly I think this draft is going to be crazy with trades with Atlanta, Flakers, Boston, and Philly all tying to make big moves. Not looking at trading anyone but if the right trade is offered I do hope the Spurs jump on it like they did to get KY.

ceperez
06-04-2019, 05:04 AM
Isn't Gogas's quickness issues more to do with lateral quickness? Based in the tape I've seen, he actually looks fairly mobile rolling to the rim or attacking close outs.

It's a concern, on defense, but he does also look like a good rim protector so he does have a skill on that end that is a plus.

This all depends if he's being thought about the next Jokic.

cutewizard
06-04-2019, 05:04 AM
Luka is very intrigued, could be hybrid forward in the mold of Pascal Siakam...

Hybrids galore

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-04-2019, 08:05 AM
I went on real GM and checked out his numbers and they weren't that bad. He just turned 19 this year which makes me feel a little good about him getting better than he already is.

I will say that reading some of the stuff posted here by folks who have seen him play a decent amount does concern me. Him not even contacting his team after the combine is also very disheartening and unprofessional to say the least. His small wingspan for his height also concerns me a bit because in the NBA he is most of the time going to be playing against guys who have monster wingspan's

I can understand the logic of drafting high potential players with the top pick and getting the most ready now guy with the lower 1st round pick.

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 11:35 AM
https://twitter.com/DejounteWave/status/1135760806539333634?s=19

Seems like this is our guy at 19th. Then either Bazley / Roby at 29th. Roby had a workout with Cavs today and they pick before us at 29. So he may be gone by then.

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Im not sure if this guy has even worked out for other teams. Have not seen any reports of it. Anyone ?

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Luka is extremely tall

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLKSbClFhH/?igshid=t8gs5lba2id4

cd021
06-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Luka is extremely tall

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLKSbClFhH/?igshid=t8gs5lba2id4

He is listed at 6'11, Rui is 6'8, so that looks about right. For his skillset that is pretty damn intriguing , despite his meh arm-span.

look_at_g_shred
06-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Serious ? What's the difference between luka and bertans? Besides the obvious one (shooting stroke)

cd021
06-04-2019, 12:43 PM
I went on real GM and checked out his numbers and they weren't that bad. He just turned 19 this year which makes me feel a little good about him getting better than he already is.

I will say that reading some of the stuff posted here by folks who have seen him play a decent amount does concern me. Him not even contacting his team after the combine is also very disheartening and unprofessional to say the least. His small wingspan for his height also concerns me a bit because in the NBA he is most of the time going to be playing against guys who have monster wingspan's

I can understand the logic of drafting high potential players with the top pick and getting the most ready now guy with the lower 1st round pick.
He does have some question marks but fewer than others who have been mocked to the Spurs. To me his biggest thing is whether he can become a high volume, high percentage, 3pt shooter- even though he isn't one now despite his form.

If he can then he has a chance to be a very good pick. He is a good rebounder based off his stats, apparently a decent to good defender, can score in the post and looks pretty good driving, not a bad skillset tbh.

Im not sure if this guy has even worked out for other teams. Have not seen any reports of it. Anyone ?

Haven't seen it if he has, sounds like he is in San Antonio for a private workout.

cd021
06-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Serious ? What's the difference between luka and bertans? Besides the obvious one (shooting stroke)

He is a pretty good rebounder based off his numbers, sounds like a decent to good defender, can score in the post and looks pretty good driving, not as good of a shooter but seems like he can score in at least 3 ways already. Driving, posting and spotting up.

look_at_g_shred
06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
He is a pretty good rebounder based off his numbers, sounds like a decent to good defender, can score in the post and looks pretty good driving, not as good of a shooter but seems like he can score in at least 3 ways already. Driving, posting and spotting up.
If we drafted him, could they play together? Or would it almost spell the end for Davis?

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Samanic has far better lateral agility/ can move his feet on D better than how Bertans looks when he tries to defend a quick player (he always trips on his feet)

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 02:05 PM

Samanic has far better lateral agility/ can move his feet on D better than how Bertans looks when he tries to defend a quick player (he always trips on his feet)

duncan2150
06-04-2019, 03:03 PM
A lot of people here seems to think that he is good on D. From the beginning i say that he is not good in that side of the game.

Some european scouts who watched him all year said that he is bad on D, that could be linked to his effort. We’ll see but he needs a lot of work on defense so maybe the dirk comparaison is not that bad ( a poor man version)

kobyz
06-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Watch some of his tapes, he's a Tom Gugliotta clone!

duncan2150
06-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Nbadraft have just made his profile ( by the international scout Stefanos makris)

Weaknesses: Motor is questionable, can come and go, even during the same game ... Has stretches where he just disappears from the game... Can easily lose concentration... He gives the impression that leaves something to be desired because of his incosistency ... Good, but not an elite athlete ...Needs to continue bulking up his body... Average length and wingspan (measured at just 6-10.5 feet) ... Has a nice bounce, but when he doesn't have room to gather he looks limited against athletic players ... Incosistent shooter... His shooting stroke looks nice, but the truth is that he hasn't really shot the ball well in his career ... He doesn't shy away from
contact, but his body isn't really ready to withstand it just yet ... Has problems against physical defenders and he even had problems at the junior level against less physical opponents ... He settles for bad shoots when he has to go against physical defenders... Occasionally he just stands still on the perimeter waiting, not doing anything ... Decision making can be iffy at times ... Some of his moves on the post aren't “clean” enough, since he can rush things ... Has the tendency to go in to traffic after attacking a close out defense, giving the impression that he has decided what to do from the beginning ... He can turn from either shoulder while posting up, but in reality he prefers to turn on his left shoulder, which can make his game predictable ... Turnover prone, he might telegraph passes, or try passes that just aren't there ... For the time being he is not strong enough to guard power forwards and doesn't have the necessary lateral quickness to guard wings ... Bigger opponents can bully him in the post and score on him because of the difference in strength ... Doesn't always have a low stance on defense and depends too much on his athleticism ... Perimeter defense is an issue, since he gets beat by quick and explosive players... Has problems guarding the Pick and Roll because of his average lateral quickness and occasionaly lethargic approach on defense...

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/luka-samanic

im not that low about samanic but I just want to show my concerns about his D.

Play Boban
06-04-2019, 04:50 PM

What's the same about them besides your assertion that all whites play the same tbh?

timvp
06-04-2019, 05:07 PM
:hungry:

:lol I just remembered about your love for ol' Bustnani. How your boy doing these days, tbh?

https://twitter.com/DejounteWave/status/1135760806539333634?s=19

Seems like this is our guy at 19th.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The Spurs will meet and eat with a handful of prospects each year. RC and the rest of the front office like to get prospects in front of Pop because he's regarded as the best judge of character in the organization. And history says Pop is usually right about guys (best examples might be when Pop ended up being right about Scola [RC was the one who didn't like him] and Raja Bell [RC insisted on Derrick Dial instead]).

Considering Samanic's main question mark is his character and whether he is going to be someone who will try hard consistently, that is definitely someone the Spurs should have Pop trying to figure out.

I'd say Samanic is up there as a top five or so prospect in terms of most likely to be drafted by the Spurs ... but I wouldn't classify it as much more of a certainty than that.

I highly disagree, tbh. Bertans can survive in the NBA because he has very good agility on the perimeter for a big. He's close to elite at that.

Samanic has a much bigger build than Bertans and while he's more athletic, his agility out on the perimeter isn't as good as Bertans. It's been pretty impressive at times ... but judging more on the scale of an NBA center rather than an NBA stretch four. It's more like Samanic won't get eaten alive by pick-and-rolls, which in itself is an important quality to have for modern day bigs.

tl;dr: Bertans is close to elite as far as agility out on the perimeter, whereas Samanic is adequate for a four and good for a five.

DPG21920
06-04-2019, 05:15 PM
:lol I just remembered about your love for ol' Bustnani. How your boy doing these days, tbh?

This lesson is one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned over the years; PLENTY of guys could put up 20PPG if given the opportunity on bad teams. It’s not nearly as special as I thought it was back then.

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 05:17 PM

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The Spurs will meet and eat with a handful of prospects each year. RC and the rest of the front office like to get prospects in front of Pop because he's regarded as the best judge of character in the organization. And history says Pop is usually right about guys (best examples might be when Pop ended up being right about Scola [RC was the one who didn't like him] and Raja Bell [RC insisted on Derrick Dial instead]).

Considering Samanic's main question mark is his character and whether he is going to be someone who will try hard consistently, that is definitely someone the Spurs should have Pop trying to figure out.

I'd say Samanic is up there as a top five or so prospect in terms of most likely to be drafted by the Spurs ... but I wouldn't classify it as much more of a certainty than that.

I highly disagree, tbh. Bertans can survive in the NBA because he has very good agility on the perimeter for a big. He's close to elite at that.

Samanic has a much bigger build than Bertans and while he's more athletic, his agility out on the perimeter isn't as good as Bertans. It's been pretty impressive at times ... but judging more on the scale of an NBA center rather than an NBA stretch four. It's more like Samanic won't get eaten alive by pick-and-rolls, which in itself is an important quality to have for modern day bigs.

tl;dr: Bertans is close to elite as far as agility out on the perimeter, whereas Samanic is adequate for a four and good for a five.

Wait, what? Well why do you think Bertans struggles on D? Strength? Ehhh....

timvp
06-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Bertans is the better shooter, better in terms of playing within an offense, a better passer right now, better perimeter defender and better help defender.

Samanic is the better post player, better ball-handler, more diverse scorer, better driver, better rebounder, better post defender.

Basically, Bertans is almost strictly a stretch four. Samanic has a chance to be a much more well-rounded player.

If we drafted him, could they play together? Or would it almost spell the end for Davis?

If Samanic can get up to about 235-240, I think he could survive at center against bench units with Bertans at PF. Right now, Samanic is 227 so he's getting close.

But, yeah, drafting Samanic would also give the Spurs the ability to not worry about overpaying Bertans next summer. They could set their max and let him walk with a capable replacement in the system. Long-terms, Samanic is more of a four ... unless the NBA continues getting smaller to the point that traditional centers become extinct.

timvp
06-04-2019, 05:23 PM
Wait, what? Well why do you think Bertans struggles on D? Strength? Ehhh....

Yeah, strength (and rebounding) would be Bertans' major drawback on defense. If you need evidence, just go back and watch him try to defend Millsap ... only to get steamrolled.

But, really, Pop usually avoids putting Bertans in positions where his lack of strength can get exposed. That's why his defensive plus/minus numbers have always looked great. You hide him from bruisers and otherwise Bertans is a pretty darn good defender, tbh.

timvp
06-04-2019, 05:26 PM
This lesson is one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned over the years; PLENTY of guys could put up 20PPG if given the opportunity on bad teams. It’s not nearly as special as I thought it was back then.

True, 'tis a lesson we must all learn. Tbh, I remember being impressed by Dominique Wilkins' scoring back in '97 :lol

look_at_g_shred
06-04-2019, 06:23 PM
What's the same about them besides your assertion that all whites play the same tbh?
Skin color has nothing to do with it. They are both 6’8 and taller who handle the ball and can drive.

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Skin color has nothing to do with it. They are both 6’8 and taller who handle the ball and can drive.

Bertans can handle the ball? Since when has he ever dribbled the ball for more than 4 seconds? Whats your standard for players who handle the ball? Seems like anybody can handle the ball in your eyes.

slick'81
06-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Bertans can handle the ball? Since when has he ever dribbled the ball for more than 4 seconds? Whats your standard for players who handle the ball? Seems like anybody can handle the ball in your eyes.
:lmao

ace3g
06-04-2019, 07:14 PM
https://twitter.com/MiguelLois/status/1136021796170452992

timvp
06-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Nbadraft have just made his profile ( by the international scout Stefanos makris)

Weaknesses: Motor is questionable, can come and go, even during the same game ... Has stretches where he just disappears from the game... Can easily lose concentration... He gives the impression that leaves something to be desired because of his incosistency ... Good, but not an elite athlete ...Needs to continue bulking up his body... Average length and wingspan (measured at just 6-10.5 feet) ... Has a nice bounce, but when he doesn't have room to gather he looks limited against athletic players ... Incosistent shooter... His shooting stroke looks nice, but the truth is that he hasn't really shot the ball well in his career ... He doesn't shy away from
contact, but his body isn't really ready to withstand it just yet ... Has problems against physical defenders and he even had problems at the junior level against less physical opponents ... He settles for bad shoots when he has to go against physical defenders... Occasionally he just stands still on the perimeter waiting, not doing anything ... Decision making can be iffy at times ... Some of his moves on the post aren't “clean” enough, since he can rush things ... Has the tendency to go in to traffic after attacking a close out defense, giving the impression that he has decided what to do from the beginning ... He can turn from either shoulder while posting up, but in reality he prefers to turn on his left shoulder, which can make his game predictable ... Turnover prone, he might telegraph passes, or try passes that just aren't there ... For the time being he is not strong enough to guard power forwards and doesn't have the necessary lateral quickness to guard wings ... Bigger opponents can bully him in the post and score on him because of the difference in strength ... Doesn't always have a low stance on defense and depends too much on his athleticism ... Perimeter defense is an issue, since he gets beat by quick and explosive players... Has problems guarding the Pick and Roll because of his average lateral quickness and occasionaly lethargic approach on defense...

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/luka-samanic

im not that low about samanic but I just want to show my concerns about his D.

Pretty good writeup, though he seems to see Samanic as a 3/4. I see him more of a 4/5 in today's NBA. I agree that his perimeter defense is an issue if you expect him to defend threes full-time -- I don't think he can do it or could ever do it.

BatManu20
06-04-2019, 07:29 PM
Well I’m pretty sure the Spurs aren’t taking him at 19 cause that would be a reach, and he won’t last til 29 imo. Think BKN at 27 would be all over him or GSW at 28. So I don’t think he winds up a Spur.

Gordy58
06-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Well I’m pretty sure the Spurs aren’t taking him at 19 cause that would be a reach, and he won’t last til 29 imo. Think BKN at 27 would be all over him or GSW at 28. So I don’t think he winds up a Spur.
I actually think he has a chance to go at 19 to us. There just aren’t many bigs with his type of perimeter skills in this draft.

JuneJive
06-04-2019, 08:03 PM
He brings back the negative connotation to the word tweener.

His low defensive ceiling is really putting me off.

BackHome
06-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Yeah I liked him but first as a late first or early second round pick he could be good or he Good Be bad I think I would pass him at 19 but would take him at 29.

Kurgan
06-04-2019, 08:26 PM

https://smallimg.pngkey.com/png/small/810-8109009_demar-derozan-png-demar-derozan-face-png.png

look_at_g_shred
06-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Standard would be like Danny Green

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Hes not a reach if he is their target.

Uriel
06-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Having dinner with Pop. Posting Spurs photos on his Instagram. All the signs are there. :stirpot::stirpot:

ceperez
06-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Hard to believe that Spurs pick him at #19.

Degoat
06-04-2019, 10:03 PM
This honestly might be the last guy in the draft that I would want lol if we draft him 29th I won’t hate it but I feel like having him and Bertans is kinda redundant, both guys will be defensive liabilities in the nba

Dejounte
06-05-2019, 02:24 AM
If you have a Manu Ginobili at 19, you dont try to risk losing that kind of talent and say.... Lets wait until 29 to get him because other mocks say he isnt that valued. You don't do that. You draft what you think is a surefire prospect and dont look back. Some of yall are being babies about drafting prospects too high or too low. Thats how you miss out on players by 1 or 2 picks when you try to play that game.

Larry O
06-05-2019, 03:11 AM
UGH! He's not my top choice at 19. My choice would be Hachimura or Clarke, and Claxton at 29. It sounds like RC may be smitten on Samanic. His defense is questionable, but we'll see what will happen when that time comes; who will be available and what decisions or moves, if possible,
PATFO will make in this draft. It will be interesting; it could be a letdown, but either way, GSG and let's have a good 2019 Draft!

RC_Drunkford
06-05-2019, 05:53 AM
Didn't he impress scouts at the combine? I'd like him even at 19, but he's a huge project and would go to Austin for a season at least. Kid is only 19 and a lot of his weaknesses are due to lack of effort. He could be great, but would need at least 3 years to develop

ceperez
06-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Didn't he impress scouts at the combine? I'd like him even at 19, but he's a huge project and would go to Austin for a season at least. Kid is only 19 and a lot of his weaknesses are due to lack of effort. He could be great, but would need at least 3 years to develop

It all depends if he's got the killer instinct or whether he'll just be a weak minded player (like most of the Spurs stars).

cd021
06-05-2019, 08:53 AM
This honestly might be the last guy in the draft that I would want lol if we draft him 29th I won’t hate it but I feel like having him and Bertans is kinda redundant, both guys will be defensive liabilities in the nba

They're not really the same type of player tbh and there are two more risky prospects than Samanic that have been mocked to the Spurs, at least Samanic has an intriguing skill set that could turn him into a good player though.

cd021
06-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Having dinner with Pop. Posting Spurs photos on his Instagram. All the signs are there. :stirpot::stirpot:

Kinda weird. Feels like Samanic and PATFO are not bothering to hide the mutal interest, nothing stopping another team from swooping in unless the Spurs promised to take him with the 19th pick.

Dejounte
06-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Standard would be like Danny Green

I wouldnt even count Danny Green as someone who handles the ball.

ceperez
06-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Kinda weird. Feels like Samanic and PATFO are not bothering to hide the mutal interest, nothing stopping another team from swooping in unless the Spurs promised to take him with the 19th pick.

Nobody really knows... maybe he's bait.

smaka
06-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Yeah he had a great first day and shut it down for second day. I know a lot of players do that, but imo this means you are not comfortable in performing well again. Be the man and impress on second day as well, show them it wasn't just a fluke.

ceperez
06-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Yeah he had a great first day and shut it down for second day. I know a lot of players do that, but imo this means you are not comfortable in performing well again. Be the man and impress on second day as well, show them it wasn't just a fluke.

You shut it down because you are confident that someone will draft you. Otherwise you keep on 'interviewing'.

No need to show anymore if you already have made the sale!

cutewizard
06-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Shamanic rulessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

CGD
06-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Id rather take a gamble on Bender from PHX as a reclamation project. He’ll be a free agent, similar skill set, and can come in from day 1 (as opposed to this kid who I fear would just be stashed).

Chinook
06-06-2019, 12:49 AM
I'd almost rather the Spurs had 24 and 25 rather than 19 and 29. That way, they'd be able to draft the first guy knowing who would be around for the second pick. Samanic makes some sense as BPA at 19, but there's a really good chance that center will be BPA again at 29. Drafting an SF with both picks isn't a big deal, but two centers with Poeltl, Aldridge and Milutinov already in the pipeline/depth chart would be weird. At the same time, though, you can always sign meh players to fill out your roster, so if the wings around for those picks aren't BPA, there's no need to force it.

cd021
06-06-2019, 05:32 PM
38' max vert, knew he was athletic but 14th overall at the combine and the 2nd most athletic front court player is pretty impressive,

BackHome
06-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Yeah no more stashing first rounders over seas our team is not stacked like the old days. So if you draft him you better bring his ass over even if it putting him in G League for most of the time.

Play Boban
06-06-2019, 06:26 PM
38' max vert, knew he was athletic but 14th overall at the combine and the 2nd most athletic front court player is pretty impressive,
Racist idiot posters are pathetic tbh. Everyone on here thinks because he’s white he’s a cripple tbh smh disgusting per par.

RC_Drunkford
06-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Racist idiot posters are pathetic tbh. Everyone on here thinks because he’s white he’s a cripple tbh smh disgusting per par.

He's Croatian. Balkan players are by far the best European basketball players and also the ones with the most athleticism. I laughed at people who thought Doncic's game won't translate to the NBA. He was the clear cut favorite for rookie of the year from the get go

cd021
06-06-2019, 07:49 PM

Something told me some loser was going to take it the wrong way, sure enough some loser did.

Play Boban
06-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Something told me some loser was going to take it the wrong way, sure enough some loser did.
I wasn’t talking about you tbh :cry

timvp
06-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Supposedly he headed to workout for the Warriors after he left San Antonio so safe to say he hasn't gotten a promise from the Spurs.

Chinook
06-07-2019, 12:22 AM
Supposedly he headed to workout for the Warriors after he left San Antonio so safe to say he hasn't gotten a promise from the Spurs.

Also means his agent may not think Samanic will be gone before the Warriors pick.

venitian navigator
06-07-2019, 02:35 AM
Also means his agent may not think Samanic will be gone before the Warriors pick.

probably then he received some promise to be chosen with 29...not with 19...

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-07-2019, 05:56 AM

Yeah he impressed all around at the combine which makes it even more odd about his productivity overseas. I mean his numbers arent awful but they were not great either and according to folks on here who have consistently watched him play, they've been unimpressed.

I like him, Mfiondu and Claxton the most out of the front court guys. Him and Claxton are kinda similar besides him being bigger and more athletic! If they really like his upside they gotta draft him at 19.

I honestly am a little worried due to his consistency issues but he just turned 19 in January so he is still hella young and has a great chance to improve

cd021
06-07-2019, 07:00 AM

probably then he received some promise to be chosen with 29...not with 19...

Stands to reason, though that is really risky on the Spurs part. The Spurs seem to be very interested but that doesn't stop teams in the 20-28 range from being interested in him also.

If the Spurs plan to take him with 29 ,and it were to actually happen, then that would be a pretty damn good draft, with the 19th pick freed up to use on a better prospect- though that means Roby and Claxton would likely be out of the picture.

buttsR4rebounding
06-07-2019, 07:26 AM
It could just mean if someone like Rui or Bol (just examples) drops they would take them. I don't think it rules out Spurs taking him at 19.

Trueblood
06-07-2019, 01:04 PM
CBS Mock draft didn't have him in the first round.

BatManu20
06-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Really think 19 is too high for this guy. Would be a reach imo.

look_at_g_shred
06-07-2019, 01:47 PM
CBS Mock draft didn't have him in the first round.
Yeah but they also had us taking Schofield and 19 LMAO what a joke!!

timvp
06-07-2019, 03:41 PM
The mock draft on TheAthletic that just came out has the Spurs taking Samanic at 19. I think that's the first mock draft that has him going to the Spurs at 19.

I think he'd be a better value around 25-ish but, like I said since the start of this thread, if the Spurs really want him, they probably have to take him with their first pick because there's a real shot he doesn't fall to 29.

smaka
06-08-2019, 01:29 PM
He is in Utah today.

Degoat
06-08-2019, 02:08 PM
29 I’m fine with this guy but 19th heck no, I want them taking the best guy available at 19th

Play Boban
06-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Luka should be a lottery pick. Hs a steal at 19 tbh.

SpursDynasty85
06-08-2019, 02:23 PM
For some reason this guys highlight reel is sticking in my brain as the Spurs are looking at him like a perfect compliment to Rudy Gay at the 4. The other player I would want is probably matisse Thybulle or another nba ready wing.

SpursDynasty85
06-08-2019, 02:26 PM
29 I’m fine with this guy but 19th heck no, I want them taking the best guy available at 19th

If we get another pg/sg it will look idiotic. We desperately need a SF or PF. Samanic could be the best on the board for those two positions at 19.

Degoat
06-08-2019, 03:18 PM
If we get another pg/sg it will look idiotic. We desperately need a SF or PF. Samanic could be the best on the board for those two positions at 19.

oh yeah I agree we need a SF/PF type bad but I’m just saying if somebody falls in the draft we should grab them, more likely it would be a sf, PF, C that would fall probably because there’s not really any PG in the late lottery to where we pick at 19th in this draft

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-08-2019, 08:37 PM
I've seen Claxton and Samanic mocked to us on different websites at 19. I like and think both will be solid players at the least in the NBA. I think we might have to grab one of those guys at that spot because there could be some decent 3's available at 29

Degoat
06-08-2019, 08:45 PM
I don’t know it’s fun to speculate but when do the spurs ever make selections based on who is on a mock draft for us, we will end up drafting a guy not being discussed about lol

ceperez
06-08-2019, 09:27 PM
I don’t know it’s fun to speculate but when do the spurs ever make selections based on who is on a mock draft for us, we will end up drafting a guy not being discussed about lol

I agree that Spurs are more likely to surprise (i.e White) ! It's either that or some guy who was expected to be drafted higher falls into their lap (i.e. Murray, Walker).

RC_Drunkford
06-09-2019, 08:04 PM
I could see the Bogdanovic move linked to bringing in Samanic. They are both Croatian, so maybe they want Bogdanovic to kind of mentor him

timvp
06-14-2019, 04:41 PM
I've heard he's been shooting poorly in workouts ... and damn, his shooting really was terrible while working out for the Sixers ...

sz8DjyYDoII

rjv
06-14-2019, 04:51 PM
I've heard he's been shooting poorly in workouts ... and damn, his shooting really was terrible while working out for the Sixers ...

sz8DjyYDoII

must be something in the philly air. everyone seems to shoot poorly when out there.

RC_Drunkford
06-14-2019, 05:16 PM

sz8DjyYDoII

I think his combine game was a fluke, that's why he shut it down right after. Not to say the potential isn't there, but the consistency definitely ain't

kjhip1
06-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Looked gassed...shots were short many times and did I see an airball? As stated above consistency with this guy is not there..maybe he does slide to end of 1st round/early 2nd round especially if teams are seeing these latest workouts..

Kurgan
06-14-2019, 05:27 PM
I think his combine game was a fluke, that's why he shut it down right after. Not to say the potential isn't there, but the consistency definitely ain't

19 is too high for this guy. Too much question marks...abandoning his team, poor workouts. I think he'd be fine at 29 but Spurs could do a lot better with their earlier pick, especially if someone interesting drops

Marco
06-15-2019, 02:06 AM
Hope RC sees the clip

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-15-2019, 03:24 AM
Looked gassed...shots were short many times and did I see an airball? As stated above consistency with this guy is not there..maybe he does slide to end of 1st round/early 2nd round especially if teams are seeing these latest workouts..

He looked super gassed.

I still like him, Claxton, and Kabengele the most out of the 4/5's available in our range.

This draft has the potential to be so unpredictable as far as what team draft's who. I just hope we can get a 3 who has potential to be a good defender and 3 point shooter and a 4/5 in this draft

BackHome
06-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Unlike getting DEROZZ In a trade who doesn’t fit our system I think it’s imperative to get someone who can mesh with our young players. That’s why at 19 I am hoping for Rui, Claxton, Mifiondu.

TheGreatYacht
06-15-2019, 12:21 PM
You trump supporters always fall in love with european Grayson Allens lol it never fails. This guy sucks. 9 pages, embarrassing...

BackHome
06-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Dude Yur on wrong forum go back to Raptors forum

Collins21
06-15-2019, 02:39 PM
You trump supporters always fall in love with european Grayson Allens lol it never fails. This guy sucks. 9 pages, embarrassing...

Yeah the obsession with Euro trash players is disgusting.

timvp
06-20-2019, 08:46 PM

Tbh...........

paperboy77
06-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Still think Clarke woulda been great with us. That guy is going to be a thorn for us. Having said all that we picked this guy that none of us have ever heard of. (If you say you did you are full of shit) If he works out though I think i will forever STFU about Pop and RC being washed up. No please go get a fucken 3nD SF!

DavidTheGoliath
06-20-2019, 08:58 PM

Lol as if you know better than a guy who has been doing if for years.
If you think your better than him why not apply for a gm on some lottery teams? Delusional faggot.

blackbucket
06-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Tbh...........

Well played :bobo

Play Boban
06-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Tbh...........
Balancing out the MVanVleetP takes tbh........... :wakeup

:king

cd98
06-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Hope RC sees the clip

Of course. Don’t you know RC told him to shoot poorly so everyone else would pass.

DPG21920
06-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Let’s hope Clarke is a bust since SA passes on him and he’s now in SA division. I like Luka but he will be compared to Little, Clarke and others.

SAGirl
06-20-2019, 09:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Nxrku8G.jpg

Luka Samanic

Position: PF
Height: 6-foot-11
Weight: 227.2
Wingspan: 6-foot-10.5
Draft Range: 15 to 35
Combine Results? Yes (https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/)

Why: Very, very good athlete. Fast for a big, jumps really well and his natural fluidity is that of a point guard. Quick with the ball -- even most modern-day bigs would find it difficult to stay in front of him. Ball-handling ability as a big is off the charts. Has advanced footwork in the post. Shooting stroke is picture-perfect. Defensively, he's very capable of switching off onto smaller players. Battles for rebounds and is actively shedding his 'soft' label. RC Buford was seen scouting him. (https://sportando.basketball/en/r-c-buford-attended-olimpija-ljubljanas-game-to-watch-luka-samanic/)

Why Not: While his mechanics are good, he doesn't have much history of actually making three-pointers. So far, most of his scoring potential is more theoretical than anything else. His ball-handling can be wasted because he doesn't have good court vision and isn't always a willing passer. While he has gotten a lot stronger in the last year, he has to keep working at it -- especially because he has a high center of gravity. As it is, he has a hard time holding his ground. Wingspan is underwhelming.

Spurs Fit: His fundamentals on both ends are there so he could battle for NBA minutes as a rookie.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Athletic Hedo Turkoglu

Europe Stats (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Luka-Samanic/Summary/94639)
Highlight Video (https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1129418791664934913)
The Stepien Profile (https://www.thestepien.com/2018/11/16/ever-volatile-draft-stock-luka-samanic/)
HoopsHype Profile (https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/22/luka-samanic-nba-draft-interview-international-prospects/)
Good thread. He does remind me of Davis w/o the jumpshot, which is Davis best attribute.

But this guy is so young, hopefully he gets stronger with time.

SAGirl
06-20-2019, 09:22 PM
Also, I hope I am wrong but him rising due to one game at the combine and a workout is reminiscent of Livio Jean Charles rising due to a good showing in one game.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 09:28 PM
Lol as if you know better than a guy who has been doing if for years.
If you think your better than him why not apply for a gm on some lottery teams? Delusional faggot.
Why did your fat wife marry a hunchback gorilla? Sometimes those are the cards we're dealt. Drunkford was fortunate to have known that coach killing snake Greg from their drinking sessions on the corner of Guadalupe streets

DavidTheGoliath
06-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Why did your fat wife marry a hunchback gorilla? Sometimes those are the cards we're dealt. Drunkford was fortunate to have known that coach killing snake Greg from their drinking sessions on the corner of Guadalupe streets

Im not even married yet, but ok. Thats your excuse? Why not start with an AAU team then? Ever tried coaching? Managing a basketball team? Even at an amatuer u-16 level? No?

You have no excuse to be a couch GM when there are lots of opportunities. But then again it all boils down to talent. Which you have none. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

SAGirl
06-20-2019, 09:59 PM
ESPN has him up to #30. Tankathon has him at #26.

I still think the Spurs have to take him at 19 if they want him ...
Good prediction

cutewizard
06-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Samanic,

the Euro Don Ramon, would be a good addition

cutewizard
06-20-2019, 10:03 PM
i wonder who shall take Bol Bol

Dejounte
06-20-2019, 10:42 PM
Im glad we got one of the players I liked. I was one of his staunch supporters!

tim_duncan_fan
06-20-2019, 11:13 PM
The Spurs picked this guy based on like 20 minutes of game time and he reportedly didn't have good stats in minor Euro competition.

What. In. The. Hell?

I feel like this is going to bite us in the anus.

EricB
06-20-2019, 11:28 PM
The Spurs picked this guy based on like 20 minutes of game time and he reportedly didn't have good stats in minor Euro competition.

What. In. The. Hell?

Buford scouted him personally in Europe. He was scouted heavily. WTF is this “based on one game” shit?

timvp
06-20-2019, 11:30 PM
Buford has been scouting Samanic since at least 2015, tbh.

Kurgan
06-20-2019, 11:32 PM

What. In. The. Hell?

Livio 2.0. Scrub that played his ass off in one fluke game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-20-2019, 11:44 PM
Buford scouted him personally in Europe. He was scouted heavily. WTF is this “based on one game” shit?

It’s simply that most of these folks don’t know sh!t.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Im not even married yet, but ok. Thats your excuse? Why not start with an AAU team then? Ever tried coaching? Managing a basketball team? Even at an amatuer u-16 level? No?

You have no excuse to be a couch GM when there are lots of opportunities. But then again it all boils down to talent. Which you have none. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
Lol I'm probably the best talent evaluator on this forum. Aside from my Kawhi schtick from years ago, my analysis is spot on. That's besides the point though, pussy. Talent doesn't take you far in the NBA. Drunkford proved that. $98,000,000 to Pau and Patty. I'll never let you dick riders live that down. Not even the forum special needs poster cutewizard would've done those contracts

DavidTheGoliath
06-21-2019, 12:17 AM
Lol I'm probably the best talent evaluator on this forum. Aside from my Kawhi schtick from years ago, my analysis is spot on. That's besides the point though, pussy. Talent doesn't take you far in the NBA. Drunkford proved that. $98,000,000 to Pau and Patty. I'll never let you dick riders live that down. Not even the forum special needs poster cutewizard would've done those contracts

"Talent evaluator" calls Luka Samanic unathletic. lol spot on analysis.
Compalining about pau at patty (i do too btw), when years ago you want CP0 in the team even if it means trading half of the team away. Cancerous locker room guy being propped up by another cancerous poster.

At the end of the day, your nothing but a couch gm flexing on a message board when both RC and Pop have been winning for 2 decades. That is something you can never live down.

Dverde
06-21-2019, 12:24 AM
Lol I'm probably the best talent evaluator on this forum. Aside from my Kawhi schtick from years ago, my analysis is spot on. That's besides the point though, pussy. Talent doesn't take you far in the NBA. Drunkford proved that. $98,000,000 to Pau and Patty. I'll never let you dick riders live that down. Not even the forum special needs poster cutewizard (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19861) would've done those contracts

I think your evaluations are normally spot-on. So grade the three picks tonight? They felt safe and none will play meaningful minutes next year. I don’t think they were bad picks, but nothing franchise changing like B minus filler.

TheGreatYacht
06-21-2019, 12:46 AM
I think your evaluations are normally spot-on. So grade the three picks tonight? They felt safe and none will play meaningful minutes next year. I don’t think they were bad picks, but nothing franchise changing like B minus filler.
Luka: C
He's the prototypical euro big the Spurs always fall in love with. He has the build of a Jewish boy during WW2 and will get bullied on both ends of the floor. Teams will be able to guard with him with big guards and they won't regret it. Not a rim protector at all, expect Bertans and Bonner contests which consist of jumping straight up with both arms up. Was below average last year, said it himself, and the only upside he had coming into the Draft were 15 good minutes of an exhibition game against other players his age. He can run the floor well and that's about all he does at an elite level. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

KJ: Grade B
Not my top choice at 29 with Little and Porter Jr still there but that's about where you expect a player like him to go. He's a small SF and his wingspan nor athleticism are anything to write home about. Probably a two year Austin project tbh. Don't see him getting minutes over Gay, DDR, Marco, Davis, or even Lonnie.