PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose TV shows to watch?

aj3292
05-18-2019, 01:58 PM
I’ve been behind on new TV for years, and now have a few streaming subscriptions. Between shows I’ve missed and new shows coming out, I have a huge list of stuff I want to watch.

It made me wonder how everyone here decides what they want to watch? Usually I pick shows based on personnel involved (especially production and writing), subject matter, and reviews (not necessarily whether a show is deemed “good” or “bad”—more who liked it and who didn’t).

RD2191
05-18-2019, 05:25 PM
I'm starting to pick shows that have actually run their full course, too many of my favs getting cancelled without ending or resolution.

SpursforSix
05-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Is OP retarded or Avante?

johnsmith
05-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Is OP retarded or Avante?

Aren’t they one in the same?

Avant
05-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Anyone thinking aj3292 is Avante is beyond stupid.

DJR210
05-21-2019, 01:34 PM

GTFOH Golden Girls

Chucho
05-21-2019, 01:48 PM
GTFOH Golden Girls

Golden Girls was awesome. Avant...not at all.

aj3292
05-21-2019, 01:55 PM

I'm amazed this has continued. I'd think by now I've made enough specific comments about TV shows, games and books that it'd be obvious I'm a separate person with a separate life.

Reck
05-21-2019, 02:07 PM
I'm really liking the anthology series that have been popping up lately. The one-offs are just right.

Specially since I'm finding myself quitting on longer shows these days. It used to be that when I started a show I would finish it even if it was shit.

Now I barely give shows a full season.

SpursforSix
05-21-2019, 02:08 PM
I'm amazed this has continued. I'd think by now I've made enough specific comments about TV shows, games and books that it'd be obvious I'm a separate person with a separate life.

Sorry...I'm still not convinced. But if you are Avante, you've been behaving for the most part. A good many of your threads pose good questions, whether you're genuine about them or not.
Avante used to bitch about certain topics for threads and now you're pretty much posting those topics ad nauseum. It's exactly the childish shit old pedo would do. Not to mention, it happened in three forums with three similar usernames at the same time.

Avant
05-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Sorry...I'm still not convinced. But if you are Avante, you've been behaving for the most part. A good many of your threads pose good questions, whether you're genuine about them or not.
Avante used to bitch about certain topics for threads and now you're pretty much posting those topics ad nauseum. It's exactly the childish shit old pedo would do. Not to mention, it happened in three forums with three similar usernames at the same time.

Childish shit is pretending to ignore somebody while talking about them constantly.

Stupid, we are not the same and only a total idiot like you couldn't see this.

Avant
05-21-2019, 02:17 PM

As you are finding out we have an over abundance of idiots who post here.

SpursforSix
05-21-2019, 02:18 PM
quit quoting me faggot. You're on ignore. It screws up my notification thing.

Avant
05-21-2019, 02:19 PM
quit quoting me faggot. You're on ignore. It screws up my notification thing.

Fuck off idiot.

SpursforSix
05-21-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm assuming by the amount of posts, Larry is melting down again.

SpursforSix
05-21-2019, 02:24 PM
And let's be real old fart. Honestly, if I picked up the phone to debate physics with Steven Weinberg, I wouldn't expect him to give me the time of day. And after that, I wouldn't keep calling him over and over again.

Pavlov
05-21-2019, 02:25 PM
I'm really liking the anthology series that have been popping up lately. The one-offs are just right.

Specially since I'm finding myself quitting on longer shows these days. It used to be that when I started a show I would finish it even if it was shit.

Now I barely give shows a full season.I really like shorter seasons these days. Even the best written shows start looking for ways to fill time after about 10-12 episodes. Think of all the slop and stupid subplots a show like Breaking Bad would've had were the seasons twice as long. Out of all the MCU shows on TV, I'm most impressed with the writing on the cheapest one with the shortest season, Cloak and Dagger.The constraints of basic and pay cable budgets and resulting short seasons had no small part in bringing about the platinum age IMO.

Reck
05-21-2019, 02:31 PM
I really like shorter seasons these days. Even the best written shows start looking for ways to fill time after about 10-12 episodes. Think of all the slop and stupid subplots a show like Breaking Bad would've had were the seasons twice as long. Out of all the MCU shows on TV, I'm most impressed with the writing on the cheapest one with the shortest season, Cloak and Dagger.The constraints of basic and pay cable budgets and resulting short seasons had no small part in bringing about the platinum age IMO.

No doubt about the last part of your post.

I used to mock and laugh about the way the british do tv. Used to think 4-6 episodes a season was a disgrace. Now it's not only the standard here but it's also proven to make tv shows better for it.

Ironically now I see it the other way. 22 episodes per season are terrible because half of those are just filtered garbage that passes for quality tv.

SpursforSix
05-21-2019, 02:36 PM
No doubt about the last part of your post.

I used to mock and laugh about the way the british do tv. Used to think 4-6 episodes a season was a disgrace. Now it's not only the standard here but it's also proven to make tv shows better for it.

Ironically now I see it the other way. 22 episodes per season are terrible because half of those are just filtered garbage that passes for quality tv.

x3

6-8 episodes is the sweet spot for me. It's pretty rare to find a 10 episode series without a couple of duds.

It's got me a little concerned after I finished the first season of Battlestar (13 episodes) and now seeing that Season 2 goes to 20. And after watching the first 2 of Season 2, I can see why some here described it as slow.

Avant
05-21-2019, 03:18 PM
I'm assuming by the amount of posts, Larry is melting down again.

That coming from a guy who talks.....Avante.....every day.

SpursforSix
05-21-2019, 03:19 PM
^ translation...oh please please SFS, please talk to me

Avant
05-21-2019, 03:21 PM
And let's be real old fart. Honestly, if I picked up the phone to debate physics with Steven Weinberg, I wouldn't expect him to give me the time of day. And after that, I wouldn't keep calling him over and over again.

Shut up stupid.

Avant
05-21-2019, 03:23 PM
^ translation...oh please please SFS, please talk to me

translation

I talk about Avante every day, the guy has made a huge impact on me. I do wish I knew them blues/track and but, I don't.

spurraider21
05-21-2019, 03:49 PM
wifey is a netflix/prime addict... she loves re-watching shows and will usually pitch them to me after she's done :lol

Pavlov
05-21-2019, 04:55 PM
translation

I talk about Avante every day, the guy has made a huge impact on me. I do wish I knew them blues/track and but, I don't.Quit following us around.

You lost.

Avant
05-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Quit following us around.

You lost.

Pavlov, trolled you all day, but......bored with ya now so scram.

Avant
05-21-2019, 06:58 PM
I don't really watch TV shows, but would watch something about a wandering hero back in the days of demons, sorcerers, giants, monsters,yep, Conanesque.

aj3292
05-22-2019, 12:48 PM
I don't really watch TV shows, but would watch something about a wandering hero back in the days of demons, sorcerers, giants, monsters,yep, Conanesque.

The closest I can think of would be something like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys back in the 90s.

ace3g
06-19-2019, 09:23 PM
(https://twitter.com/ace3g)
Anyone remember a game show where contestants were given a long sequence of numbers - they were able to take them home to memorize the best they could, come back on the show and recite as much of the sequence as possible?

Disregard, I believe this was it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWuOrwXrUuA

FrostKing
06-20-2019, 03:11 AM
Fiction is for chicks and dorks. Real man learns from the past.

BD24
06-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Fiction is for chicks and dorks. Real man learns from the past.
Very true, for example I learned about Polish inferiority because of their history of getting fucked in the ass throughout the years.

FrostKing
06-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Very true, for example I learned about Polish inferiority because of their history of getting fucked in the ass throughout the years.
Aren't you brown? Grab me another water

BD24
06-21-2019, 09:48 AM
No.

we have been over this before faggot. My German ancestors have been bending your pollock ancestors over since the dawn of time tbh.

:lol Poland

Will Hunting
06-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Your boy Hitler viewed Polacks pretty much on the same level that he viewed "brown" people on.

It's why he actually treated the French/Dutch with some level of decency but gutted Poland as much as he possibly could :lol